Movin' To New England/Hey US accents differ

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

thefiddler
The Fora's Prophetess

Re: Movin' To New England

Postby thefiddler » Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:15 pm UTC

And here I'd like to point out that there is no one midwestern accent.

Even the accent from northern to southern Illinois ranges a lot. In the north, there is more of a nasally tone and a tendency to "speak from the dictionary". In the south, you start to hear more of a drawl. It's barely noticeable unless you're looking for it, though.

But, Adalwolf is right -- I thought a lot of national newscasters had the northern inland accent (which is the same that I have). Or at least, they have a tendency to sound like the locals here. ;)

ZeroSum
Cooler than Jeff

Postby ZeroSum » Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:29 pm UTC

That's because the proper American English dialect is the dialect taught in Chicago public schools. Mind you that's far different from the dialect spoken there. (According to my linguistics teacher at least.)

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:31 pm UTC

Oh, don't even get me started on the Coach Z accent.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

thefiddler
The Fora's Prophetess

Postby thefiddler » Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:32 pm UTC

ZeroSum wrote:That's because the proper American English dialect is the dialect taught in Chicago public schools. Mind you that's far different from the dialect spoken there. (According to my linguistics teacher at least.)

BAHAHAHHA.
Oh god.

The Chicago accent kills me. Well, the Chicago accent(s). There are many, depending on (hehe) what side of the city you live on.

apricity
almost grown-up but not quite

Postby apricity » Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:34 pm UTC

ZeroSum wrote:
Meaux_Pas wrote:I will say that the worst New England accent flavor might just be the Cranston, Rhode Island flavor.
Hell. Yes.

Adding my agreement. The most irritating phrase ever is "I'm from Creeeeeaaaaaaannnnnnnnnston."
Meaux_Pas wrote:If you head to 'gansett at any point, you absolutely must check out Crazy Burger... Newport is pretty but I never found anything particularly awesome to do there, unless you're into geology. There are a lot of cool metamorphic rocks, and this long cliff walk on the shore that is definitely worth a look.

I love you for mentioning Crazy Burger. My sister lives in Narragansett now and introduced me to it last time I came home. It's amazing.

The Newport mansion tour is worth doing. I did it once when I was about 15, and it was amazing to see how big these houses are. People own these $60 million mansions, and use them as their seaside summer houses. Also, Thames Street, which is kind of the main touristy street in Newport, is fun to walk down. There are nice restaurants, cute shops, and it's right on the water. It's kind of dead in winter, but the summer is busy, especially when there are festivals going on.
LE4d wrote:have you considered becoming an electron

it takes just a little practice to learn to be
(she/her/hers)

wst

Postby wst » Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:11 pm UTC

Wow. A lot of accents. I can't differentiate them that much really (US accents). To me, they're either 'American drawl', 'Posh, slightly British-style', or 'Redneck-five-gallons-of-moonshine slur'. :oops:

I don't dislike many accents, it's more things like people not pronouncing the 't' in 'water'. (The person who does that in m class has made me lose twenty dollars and my self respect so many times, the bastard)
Anything I said pre-2014 that you want to quote me on, just run it past me to check I still agree with myself.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:51 pm UTC

wst wrote:Wow. A lot of accents. I can't differentiate them that much really (US accents). To me, they're either 'American drawl', 'Posh, slightly British-style', or 'Redneck-five-gallons-of-moonshine slur'. :oops:

Well, this simple web test thing has eight distinct American accents.

For the record, I'm ranked as The Midland (Pennsylvania, southern Ohio, southern Indiana, southern Illinois, and Missouri) but have The South following fairly close behind. I should probably retake it and rerank a couple of the ones I wasn't completely sure about, though I've got a feeling it'd just flip The South and The Midland with each other and not really change anything else.

Also, I apparently sound nothing like the New Englanders, as the Philidelphia Accent, Boston Accent, and The Northeast accent combined are still smaller than my South score.

Screw y'all Yankees! and other such utterances.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Peevish

Postby Peevish » Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:04 am UTC

If nothing else, I'm getting sold on New England because so many people speak of it with love and are wishing me well.

Thanks, all.

I can put the whole Midwest debate to rest: no, no, I will not move to the Midwest. There's much to love there, some of the terrain is gorgeous, and spending time in Nebraska has always been pleasant and, lovely enough, really really green. But no, sitting on my porch to watch the rain, making a one-finger wave every time you pass someone in a car, saying "I'm a vegetarian" and getting the old "like a little chicken's gonna hurt you..." I like it, it's endearing, but it'd never be home. The Midwest is lovely but I won't live there.

SpitValve
Not a mod.

Postby SpitValve » Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:38 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Well, this simple web test thing has eight distinct American accents.

I got Northeast, apparently, followed by Philadelphia and Inland North. North Central was my lowest, which confuses me, because I would have thought inland north and north central were the same area...

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:50 pm UTC

Inland Northern surrounds the Great Lakes and Northern Central is the next step west.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:54 pm UTC

The quiz tells me I have a Midland accent and that this is "...just another way of saying "you don't have an accent.'"

The Midland - 85%
Boston - 75%
The West - 73%
-----------------
North Central - 53%
Philadelphia - 53%
The Northeast - 45%
The Inland North - 41%
The South - 38%

This makes sense as my mother grew up outside Chicago, my father grew up in Pennsylvania, and their families are mostly in Southern California and Virginia.

But it didn't ask me how I pronounce Sumavul or Mefa.
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:07 pm UTC

Midland with Boston being the major sub-component. And I've lived in MA all my life.

Back to what I was saying about well spoken people all sounding the same... :wink:

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:23 pm UTC

But where did your parents grow up?

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:57 pm UTC

Boston and Texas.

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby PictureSarah » Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:29 pm UTC

Bakemaster wrote:But it didn't ask me how I pronounce Sumavul or Mefa.

Or Ahlington.

It said I have the Midwest accent as well. The West was the second highest, and Boston the third.

My family has been in California for a few generations. I wonder what I would have had to say differently to have a "Western" accent.
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

Alpha Omicron

Re: Movin' To New England/Hey US accents differ

Postby Alpha Omicron » Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:46 am UTC

From the quiz: "Outsiders probably mistake you for a Canadian a lot."

To bad they didn't include Canada.
Here is a link to a page which leverages aggregation of my tweetbook social blogomedia.

EsotericWombat
Colorful Orator

Postby EsotericWombat » Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:06 am UTC

PictureSarah wrote:The architecture is beautiful, the art scene is thriving in all mediums except theater, wherein the painful lack of venues means that to take the stage you pretty much need to audition just at the right time for someone well-established in a company to leave or die.

Fix'd

Yes, I'm bitter.

But yeah. I was born in Massachusetts and I love it here. Can't tell you much about RI though except that there is indeed a train line to Boston from Providence; an extension of the MBTA's commuter rail.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:21 am UTC

EsotericWombat wrote:
PictureSarah wrote:The architecture is beautiful, the art scene is thriving in all mediums except theater, wherein the painful lack of venues means that to take the stage you pretty much need to audition just at the right time for someone well-established in a company to leave or die. But at least there is a theater scene. Could be much worse.

Fix'd again.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

The Mighty Thesaurus
In your library, eating your students

Postby The Mighty Thesaurus » Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:32 am UTC

SpitValve wrote:
SecondTalon wrote:Well, this simple web test thing has eight distinct American accents.

I got Northeast, apparently, followed by Philadelphia and Inland North. North Central was my lowest, which confuses me, because I would have thought inland north and north central were the same area...

I got Northeast, too.
LE4dGOLEM wrote:your ability to tell things from things remains one of your skills.
Weeks wrote:Not only can you tell things from things, you can recognize when a thing is a thing

Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

EsotericWombat
Colorful Orator

Postby EsotericWombat » Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:06 am UTC

@ST: Fair point, but you have to understand... there's an enormous discrepancy between the amount of excellent theater schools in the area and the amount of theater. We should be doing a hell of a lot better around here.

Peevish

Postby Peevish » Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:57 pm UTC

Lack of theatre is going to be a serious issue for me, and I'm not just being snarky. I grew up in community theatre, and was hoping to use that as a way to make friends since I will know, precisely, jack shit for people out there.

Guess I can always train it up to New York...

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:09 pm UTC

Community theater in NE? Christ, I run one in Medford (MA). There's two in Winchester (next town over). Alrington and Belmot (the next two towns) each have very well known groups. Anyhow, there's more than you can shake a stick at. And there's *less* in NYC because of all the professional venues.

You were looking at Warwick? There's an *excellent* group in Woonsocket, Encore Rep, and that's only 25 min away. EDIT: Not sure where I got the Warwick part from ... and you don't want a car. Um ... good luck? RI can be a pretty difficult place without one.

ZeroSum
Cooler than Jeff

Postby ZeroSum » Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:08 pm UTC

There's a few community theater types in RI, though I don't know much about them offhand.

spi

Postby spi » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:39 pm UTC

I got North Central which makes sense considering I grew up in MN. I guess I kept my MN accent as far as that test is concerned.
"Pain is a wonderful emotion, scariest sea in a world of oceans" - Iris

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:35 pm UTC

You definately don't sound like you are from around here, but I wouldn't have guess MN.

Then again, I am not an expert. I don't even play one on TV.

ASmileWithoutACat

Postby ASmileWithoutACat » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:55 pm UTC

Hmmm... I got full marks for a midwestern accent, along with about 85-90% for a Southern one... seems odd, considering I always thought I had a rather strong Southern accent (it's unavoidable, growing up where I did), but I do make an effort not to speak that way, so... maybe it pays off. Then again, maybe I just have the same problem as my dad- hear myself with a neutral accent, but I don't actually speak that way.

Oh, and I'm so glad we now have this 100% accurate dialect analysis to go along with the psychoanalysis.

I begin to wonder who all these people are who believe themselves to be Henry Higgins and Sigmund Freud (Well, maybe not Freud, specifically, but youi get the idea).
You know it's all beginning
To feel like pretending...

Happy yesterday to all!

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:18 am UTC

Azrael wrote:Back to what I was saying about well spoken people all sounding the same... :wink:

But Rachel says you sound like you're from California! Take that ... myself!

EDIT: Also, wtf strike through? What were you trying to say?

Will
There are about a million things I can do from behind

Postby Will » Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:09 am UTC

Let's see, 95% Midland
88% The West
69% Boston
66% The Inland North
35% The South
27% The Northeast

So, you know pretty ambiguous, actually. Actually, I guess the correct answer would be that I have a central New Mexican accent, being from central New Mexico and all =P
Meaux_Pas: Is it fucking Taint Sunday or something?
liza: Screw y'all, I'm going to the moon

SpitValve
Not a mod.

Postby SpitValve » Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:40 pm UTC

ASmileWithoutACat wrote:Then again, maybe I just have the same problem as my dad- hear myself with a neutral accent, but I don't actually speak that way.

I've always wondered about the idea of a "neutral" accent... what is a neutral accent? Just one where nothing jars you particularly?

Return to “General”