Reptiles, amphibians and bugs are more interesting than you.

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
As the Arbiter of Everything, Everything Sucks

Re: Woman thread - Is it as good for you as it is for me?

Postby (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ » Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:12 am UTC

Goatboy wrote:Except houseplants and fish don't scutter off on their own. I think, at this point, we have one of two questions to ask ourselves:
(a)Is there much validity to the stereotypical female reaction to reptiles and amphibians?
or
(b)Is there a disproportionate amount of lizard lovin' ladies here on the fora?

a)no
and
b) did you forget where you are?
Heyyy baby wanna kill all humans?

Alasseo

Postby Alasseo » Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:12 am UTC

B-o-o-o-o-ris the sp-i-i-der
Eruantale wrote:(I did... I've always wanted to get a Dudley Do-right out of a vending machine)

shinybaby
In-Tents
Location: formerly Toronto, now London (Ontario)... anyone here??

Postby shinybaby » Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:16 am UTC

Kineticka wrote:Spiders, oddly enough, are the only ones I won't actively squish. I'll leave spiders alone...
me too... i figure they're doing me a service, hunting and eating the other bugs! :D i can happily coexist with spiders if it means i don't have to deal with silverfish or house centipedes!! (both of which are much, much higher on my ickiness scale)

and i can't abide earwigs. i just can't.
Gordon wrote:1) Meet Gordon
2) Deploy Gordon
3) ...
4) Profit!!!

koneko

Postby koneko » Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:25 am UTC

Kineticka wrote:Spiders, oddly enough, are the only ones I won't actively squish. I'll leave spiders alone.

Other bugs that are pests, if in the house, will be chased to an open window and/or squished, whichever happens first or is more convenient. I'm really not afraid of bugs. Unless they're really damn creepy looking. When I was in high school, there was what looked like a centipede with huge freaking legs and antennae on my ceiling over my bed. I swept it off my ceiling with a broom, threw a chemistry textbook at it, and didn't do my homework in the subject for a week. >_<

that was a house centipede. nasty little buggers.
ImageImage

lamarguerite

Postby lamarguerite » Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:57 am UTC

For me, spiders are just as bad as other bugs, and sometimes worse. I've tried to figure this out before, and I can't figure out why. Maybe it's the way they move, or the creepiness they're often portrayed with in movies and books and things, which I've just absorbed. I'm generally okay, though; I can just go up and catch them, though usually not with bare hands (ick).

On the other hand, I like snakes. Funny story, though...
my friend accidentally wrote:I like his snake! It's so long and fun to stroke; I play with it every time I go to his house!

lorenith

Postby lorenith » Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:07 am UTC

parkaboy wrote:
you might check on how teeny and what kind they are, and your country's laws regarding the sale of baby reptiles. some, ESPECIALLY BABY TURTLES and tortoises are IIIILLLLEGAL! to sell in pet stores in the U.S. i haven't looked into laws outside the us though.

It really depends, I think all turtles selling (as pets) is illegal (in America anyway) because they can carry salmonella (I think, I don't really clearly remember to be honest). That's why when you see them being sold they're being sold for "scientific purposes only". It's not illegal to own one though, just sell them as pets. (Yay pet store loopholes).

I have seen tortoises for sell at a rather large and well known reptile house in San Fransisco while visiting my mom too. I didn't look at all the kinds they had, I was mostly enamored by the BEAUTIFUL monitor lizards, skinks, geckos...ect. Turtles and Tortoises are cute, but they got nothing on lizards and snakes.

They had a pair of big tortoises, I forgot the species they were but my mom has a pair of baby ones. I really wish she hadn't gotten them though cause sure they were only about 2 inches long when she got them but now a year later they're more than twice that, and 10 years from now they'll be at least 2 feet long and may be pushing 100+ pounds. She says they'll give them to the zoo once they get bigger. *sigh*

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:08 am UTC

lamarguerite wrote:For me, spiders are just as bad as other bugs, and sometimes worse. I've tried to figure this out before, and I can't figure out why. Maybe it's the way they move, or the creepiness they're often portrayed with in movies and books and things, which I've just absorbed. I'm generally okay, though; I can just go up and catch them, though usually not with bare hands (ick).

I don't feel ANY need to explain why spiders scare me more than any other bug (there are icky/gross other ones, but general fear is only present with spiders). One of the few places I let any logical reasoning behind my decision (in this case to purge the spider from existance) slide. Though, I wont generally go out of my way to kill a spider unless it invades my space, so in that far corner of the basement I never visit? I could care less. Within a few feet of anywhere I like to go (or generally something like my bedroom)? I'm introducing that spider to god...

Squish stuff with bare hands? EWWWWW *does icky face* I want my hands and the spider as far apart as possible please. 3 feet of titanium should be good. Barring that, a book (as I said one I don't like/need to use).

Sour Apple

Postby Sour Apple » Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:10 am UTC

Getting the general gist of this conversation, I just want to say that I hate bugs in general. All of them, except the pretty ones. Nature in general, even, freaks me out. And thus it was of course my lot to live in Arizona, where even non-living things can bite you...
Who I am. [Apparently this isn't obvious: I'm a chick, a bird, a female of your species.]

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:15 am UTC

Sour Apple wrote:I just want to say that I hate bugs in general. All of them, except the pretty ones.

Speaking of which...

Spoiler:

I really want some luna moth eggs....
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

Sour Apple

Postby Sour Apple » Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:16 am UTC

For breakfast, or what? I had robin's eggs this morning at breakfast. At least, that's what I'm trying to convince myself to believe as there was a chip of SOMETHING blue in my eggs...
Who I am. [Apparently this isn't obvious: I'm a chick, a bird, a female of your species.]

Sissi

Postby Sissi » Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:17 am UTC

Oh, those are beautiful! I've forgotten how pretty moths and butterflies can be.
I turned my smilies off.
ParanoydAndroid wrote:I'd like to keep my sexuality firmly ambiguous in their minds

Delalyra

Postby Delalyra » Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:17 am UTC

I squish flies, ants and small spiders with my bare hands. Hear me roar.

That said, I hate bugs, hate hate hate; but am intrigued by reptiles and snakes, etc, even though I would not want to own one.
you may remember me from 2008 or 2009. I left for a while. I'm now sporadically back. I tumble here.

hestia

Postby hestia » Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:27 am UTC

Yeuch, I HATE all bugs, especially spiders and anything larger than like, an ant. As a kid my nanny made me go in a butterfly exhibit and I absolutely lost it. I kept it together for a while but then one landed on me and I flipped. After that she let me wait outside.

I did find when I worked at a day camp that bugs are easier to deal with when the option is dealing with them, or listen to 14 seven-year-olds scream.
NightStar wrote:
Chocceh wrote:Whatever way this thread turns out, Jesus is off-limits.

Tell that to Pontius Pilate.

Belial

Postby Belial » Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:29 am UTC

It's....possible not to like butterflies?

They/them

Sour Apple

Postby Sour Apple » Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:31 am UTC

Belial wrote:It's....possible not to like butterflies?

I learned this year that it's also possible to not like Princess Bride. Go figure.

aeki

Postby aeki » Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:33 am UTC

When my dad and my aunt were kids, he told her that butterflies bit and it hurt as much as getting stung by bees. She still does not like butterflies.

Kineticka

Postby Kineticka » Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:01 am UTC

Belial wrote:Moth Pictures

It wasn't that particular species, but at one point my fiance and I were on the steps of his house, and an enormous moth was hanging on to the screen door he had. Poor boy wouldn't go near the thing. We ended up having to go in through the garage. I wanted to keep it and teach it to do tricks, and name him Mothra, but he wasn't having any of it. :(

stockpot

Postby stockpot » Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:20 am UTC

I don't really like butterflies. I mean, I don't dislike them, and I think they're pretty from far away, but they aren't any sort of happy shiny magical creature to me like they are to some people. Large insects scare me a little (until they're dead. Then they're cooooool) And those huge wings make the butterfly look way bigger than it is and freak me out. I prefer insects to have collapsable wings or none at all.

koneko

Postby koneko » Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:28 am UTC

stockpot wrote:
I don't really like butterflies. I mean, I don't dislike them, and I think they're pretty from far away, but they aren't any sort of happy shiny magical creature to me like they are to some people. Large insects scare me a little (until they're dead. Then they're cooooool) And those huge wings make the butterfly look way bigger than it is and freak me out. I prefer insects to have collapsable wings or none at all.

If you still think butterfly wings aren't collapsible then you haven't been trying hard enough.
ImageImage

parkaboy
who dwells between the borders of time

Reptiles, amphibians and bugs are more interesting than you.

Postby parkaboy » Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:24 am UTC

shinybaby wrote:
Kineticka wrote:Spiders, oddly enough, are the only ones I won't actively squish. I'll leave spiders alone...
me too... i figure they're doing me a service, hunting and eating the other bugs! :D i can happily coexist with spiders if it means i don't have to deal with silverfish or house centipedes!! (both of which are much, much higher on my ickiness scale)

and i can't abide earwigs. i just can't.

a house centipede ate my spider =( and then i found a silverfish going for my books. i want my spider back!

lorenith wrote:It really depends, I think all turtles selling (as pets) is illegal (in America anyway) because they can carry salmonella (I think, I don't really clearly remember to be honest).

*any* reptile has the potential to carry salmonella, its just more common in aquatic, or semi-acquatic ones, like turtles. However, the chances of getting it, even with aquatics, is very slim unless you're sticking the poor animal in your mouth.

Back in our day we had to walk uphill both ways through the snow on fire without feet to get fucking terrible relationship advice from disinterested and socially maladjusted nerds. Belial

crowey
That's DOCTOR Crowey, to you

Postby crowey » Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:03 pm UTC

parkaboy wrote:you might check on how teeny and what kind they are, and your country's laws regarding the sale of baby reptiles. some, ESPECIALLY BABY TURTLES and tortoises are IIIILLLLEGAL! to sell in pet stores in the U.S. i haven't looked into laws outside the us though.

As far as I know it's legal. I think the laws in the UK are only about whether it's captive bred or wild-caught. Tortoises are fine to sell so long as they are captive bred. There might be a minimum age thing, because of fragility/mortality in there too. Oh and google tells me that they have to have a licence and certificate to prove it.

I like bugs, I work with them, so I kind of have to like them :lol:
I really want a mantis, especially Idolomantis diabolica

Spoiler:

alas they are bloody hard to keep, and I'm not responsible enough to cope with it. :roll:

cypherspace

Postby cypherspace » Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:31 pm UTC

A friend of mine owns a turtle she bought as a baby from a pet store about five years ago, so it's certainly legal here.
"It was like five in the morning and he said he'd show me his hamster"

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
As the Arbiter of Everything, Everything Sucks

Postby (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ » Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:36 pm UTC

My best friend is deathly afraid of anything that flies. She identifies all butterflies as moths. I learned this once when I painted her a gorgeous picture of three butterflies and she said to me, 'Why did you give me a painting of moths?'

(asshole)
Heyyy baby wanna kill all humans?

Nexus_1101

Postby Nexus_1101 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:12 pm UTC

Meaux_Pas wrote:

My best friend is deathly afraid of anything that flies. She identifies all butterflies as moths. I learned this once when I painted her a gorgeous picture of three butterflies and she said to me, 'Why did you give me a painting of moths?'

(asshole)

you can have a phobia of wings.
HOSTING -> Heroquest
:idea: CHAOS BONUS :idea:

Code: Select all

IF (NOTFORUMGAME()) {
    postcount.add(1);
}

hestia

Postby hestia » Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:35 pm UTC

they are very, very large bugs and I do not like bugs. I will look at them if they are inside glass but they still give me the chills like all other bugs do.
NightStar wrote:
Chocceh wrote:Whatever way this thread turns out, Jesus is off-limits.

Tell that to Pontius Pilate.

Aluminus

Postby Aluminus » Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:23 pm UTC

There is a certain lack of cramps and bleeding in this thread today. I find the change refreshing, however temporary.
fyrenwater wrote:Oh dear God, I just imagined this horrible scenario of a psychotic non-people-person running around, trying to steal the people-person section of people-peoples' brains to implant into their own brain.

parkaboy
who dwells between the borders of time

Postby parkaboy » Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:26 pm UTC

crowey wrote:As far as I know it's legal. I think the laws in the UK are only about whether it's captive bred or wild-caught. Tortoises are fine to sell so long as they are captive bred. There might be a minimum age thing, because of fragility/mortality in there too. Oh and google tells me that they have to have a licence and certificate to prove it.

I like bugs, I work with them, so I kind of have to like them :lol:
I really want a mantis, especially Idolomantis diabolica

alas they are bloody hard to keep, and I'm not responsible enough to cope with it. :roll:

sweet. stupid american reptile laws. actually, i can understand WHY they did it. people buy ity bity turtles completely unprepared for them to get more than a foot long and then just released them into the nearest post. red eared sliders were killing off a lot of native texan turtles by sheer number b/c or irresponsible pet owners.

SWEET BUG! that is one of the coolest looking mantids i've ever seen. I want one of these guys:

but NOOOoooOOOoo. Jeff says bugs aren't pets =(

*edit* BLEEDING AND CRAMPS! well, mostly just the emotional rollercoaster that signifies the impending onset of them, but that was all for you Aluminus!

Back in our day we had to walk uphill both ways through the snow on fire without feet to get fucking terrible relationship advice from disinterested and socially maladjusted nerds. Belial

Pirate.Bondage

Re: Reptiles, amphibians and bugs are more interesting than you.

Postby Pirate.Bondage » Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:10 pm UTC

Ball pythons= amazing. They are SO affectionate and sweet. I want one!
Life is beautiful.
Spoiler:
Irrefutable wrote:you are so lovely

emceng wrote:Then the sausage says, "I have 1 kid, and raging genital herpes." Get the fuck away from me sausage!!!

sje46 wrote:Do... do you want to marry me?

dubsola

Postby dubsola » Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:39 pm UTC

I never really liked snakes or crocodiles until I started watching Life in Cold Blood with David Attenborough - fascinating stuff. Lizards are super cool as well, skinks, chameleons, geckos, horned lizards... they are awesome.

Californian lizards
I really like frill-necked lizards. They run like lunatics!

In Life in Cold Blood, David A. explained how the snakes hunted. They would smell the trails left by the small animals (such as mice) with their tongues, and then position themselves just off the trail and wait. Because most small animals use the same paths to get here and there, sooner or later the mouse or whatever would come running back - and the snake would strike! Even with high-speed video, it was extremely difficult to see the snake moving - just a blur.

They are stunning.

EDIT: Oh, I completely forgot about Lonesome George. He is lovely. Poor guy. :(
Last edited by dubsola on Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:00 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

ThorFluff
Ursus Onanis

Postby ThorFluff » Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:58 pm UTC

I'm deathly affraid of moths, specially indoors. Creep the living fuck out of me. Don't know why, a 3 foot cockroach coverd in poop couldn't make me flinch, but one moth and i'll be hiding in a corner covering my face.
Though I did have the incredible experience with a "moth" once. It was sitting on the windowsill by one of the windows in the staircase leading to my appartment. It was in the middle of the winter and it was really cold, snow layer covered everything.
Anyways, i had to pass by it every day and it creeped me out, just sitting there, for Weeks!
So anyways, I summoned some courage, opend the window and i was going to lift it out. But then i flapped it's wings! Once open they were bright red! and BIG! He flew out over the snowcover and away into the distance.
It was a Red Admiral Butterfly. They're known for hibernating and surviving the winter. I opend the window and as soon as the air hit him, he flew off.
Really lessend my fear of moths too by the way.
EsotericWombat wrote:You're... calling the Rolling Stones emo.

It might take a while to gather the lynch mob. no one really planned against this eventuality.

krynd wrote:That'd make an awesome sig. Unfortunately, I'm sure self-sigging isn't allowed...

Belial

Postby Belial » Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:06 pm UTC

[terrible revelation]
Offhand, you probably killed him. Animals that hibernate tend to do poorly when they're forced to raise their metabolism back to activity levels in the middle of winter. You can accidentally kill an entire colony of bats by making a loud enough noise in their cave during the winter months. Or touching them. Or whatever. [/terrible revelation]

They/them

ThorFluff
Ursus Onanis

Postby ThorFluff » Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:12 pm UTC

I know, not unlikely, but then again Red Admirals are, according to wikipedia know for flying across the snow, from restingplace to restingplace. They're bugs, they won't heartattack and die instantly :P
EsotericWombat wrote:You're... calling the Rolling Stones emo.

It might take a while to gather the lynch mob. no one really planned against this eventuality.

krynd wrote:That'd make an awesome sig. Unfortunately, I'm sure self-sigging isn't allowed...

Belial

Postby Belial » Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:18 pm UTC

Hahah, fair enough.

They/them

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:39 pm UTC

Considering fish are essentially reptiles that live in the water (all the time), and birds are reptiles that fly...

Can I talk about my fish tank here? I had a Lion Fish (which to me is the epitome of dangerous beauty), two blue tangs (which are gorgeous), a smattering of blennies, some of which turned into behemoths, and two blood red clowns. On the invert side, which I was more interested in, a handful of cleaner shrimp, two or three fans, a pair of uber large hermits, a sea hare (which was cool), and a handful of anemone's (Condy's and Bulbs). As soon as I figure out when I'll be somewhere for more then a year or two, I'm doing it again.

My bar mitzvah tutor had a giant cockatoo that used to sit on my shoulder and nip my ear or conk my head everytime my tutor yelled at me for making a mistake. The bird was cool as hell.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:48 pm UTC

lorenith wrote:It really depends, I think all turtles selling (as pets) is illegal (in America anyway) because they can carry salmonella (I think, I don't really clearly remember to be honest).

That's silly. Eggs can have salmonella on them, too. That's why you wash your hands instead of licking them off when you cook with raw eggs...

Izawwlgood wrote:Considering fish are essentially reptiles that live in the water (all the time), and birds are reptiles that fly...

I'll grant that birds are reptiles that fly, since they are more closely related to crocodiles and alligators than either is to the rest of the reptiles, and more closely related to most of the rest than any of them are to turtles. Fish, on the other hand, are not. You'd have to get the thread title changed to "Reptiles, amphibians, bugs, *and* fish are more interesting than you," and I think that might make it too long.

Sorry, but them's the rules. :-)
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:16 pm UTC

If dem the rules, then I'll just take my fishtank elsewhere! *sloshes off

However, fish are still reptiles without an amniotic sac.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Belial

Postby Belial » Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:19 pm UTC

And mammals are just reptiles with fur and warm blood that give live birth.

They/them

lorenith

Postby lorenith » Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:32 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:That's silly. Eggs can have salmonella on them, too. That's why you wash your hands instead of licking them off when you cook with raw eggs...

It's not like I made the rules, I'm just recalling something I heard that is a reason one can't sell turtles as pets. (Doesn't explain how selling them for "scientific purposes" gets around that but...whatever). Lots of stuff can carry it, but as someone else said, some things are more likely to do so then others, and it's not like kids (or even their parents unfortunately) are particularly good about washing themselves after handling one.

Robin S

Postby Robin S » Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:35 pm UTC

Moo wrote:I think reptiles are a subset of amphibians?
That depends whether you count certain extinct creatures, equally related to both modern groups of animals, as amphibians on the basis of their morphology and lifestyle. Technically, living amphibians and living (reptiles and birds) both form monophyletic clades, which means that each group includes all living descendants of a single ancestral species. Interestingly, living (reptiles and birds) are not paraphyletic to mammals, meaning that mammals are not descended from the last common ancestor of all living reptiles and birds. The evolutionary tree looks like this:

|_ Cartilaginous fishes
|_ Ray-finned fishes
|_ Coelacanths
|_ Lungfishes
|_ Modern amphibians
|_ Modern reptiles and birds
|_ Mammals

Each of these groups has a separate common ancestor, none of which is descended from any of the others.
This is a placeholder until I think of something more creative to put here.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:51 pm UTC

Belial wrote:And mammals are just reptiles with fur and warm blood that give live birth.

Except I believe (so I could be wrong about this) the separation between early mammals and reptiles is far more vast then the separation between fish and early reptiles.

Return to “General”