YOU'RE a slur!

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

hat_on_a_rat

Re: Confessional Thread - Now with a newt idol!

Postby hat_on_a_rat » Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:05 am UTC

-delete-
Last edited by hat_on_a_rat on Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:24 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:06 am UTC

hat_on_a_rat wrote:Thanks. And I'll revise that statement from 99.9%, to everyone who acts like a faggot, which is probably something near that anyways.

Here's what you sound like

"Thanks. And I'll revise that statement from 99.9%, to everyone who acts like a Jew/Black/Italian/Pakistani, which is probably something near that anyways."
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

hat_on_a_rat

Postby hat_on_a_rat » Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:15 am UTC

-delete-
Last edited by hat_on_a_rat on Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:44 am UTC, edited 4 times in total.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:18 am UTC

And it's no different than saying something's Black, or Jewish, or whatever.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

hat_on_a_rat

Postby hat_on_a_rat » Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:20 am UTC

I guess I'll revise it even further to anyone who acts in a manner unsavory to me, regardless of race, religion, or sexual orientation.
Last edited by hat_on_a_rat on Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:21 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

functionally_stupid

Postby functionally_stupid » Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:20 am UTC

hat_on_a_rat wrote:faggot

Huhguhbfwaaah? Whoa... *weird*... I mean, since you like xkcd, you probably meant that in a "faggot = goddamn annoying person" way, rather than a "faggot = goddamn homosexual" way. But still. Um. Yeah. Wow.

That really takes me back to those good old days in middle school when everyone seemed to think that "gay" was the best way to diss something or someone. I can almost hear the whiny high-pitched voices... "Like, oh my god, that is so *gay*"...

*shakes head* Whatever. Yeah. How old are you? Fourteen? Six? You don't seriously think that calling people faggots makes you anything other than an asshole, right?

Plz 2 b keepin t3h chanspeak outta mah xkcd, kthxbai.
I wrote it in a style I fondly refer to as "unabashedly fancy" - i.e., "Fuck Zen minimalism, I'm gonna use all of my favorite words and stack loads of complex syntax n' modifying phrases'n'clauses in this motherfucker, goddamn."

hat_on_a_rat

Postby hat_on_a_rat » Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:22 am UTC

functionally_stupid wrote:
hat_on_a_rat wrote:faggot

Huhguhbfwaaah? Whoa... *weird*... I mean, since you like xkcd, you probably meant that in a "faggot = goddamn annoying person" way, rather than a "faggot = goddamn homosexual" way. But still. Um. Yeah. Wow.

That really takes me back to those good old days in middle school when everyone seemed to think that "gay" was the best way to diss something or someone. I can almost hear the whiny high-pitched voices... "Like, oh my god, that is so *gay*"...

*shakes head* Whatever. Yeah. How old are you? Fourteen? Six? You don't seriously think that calling people faggots makes you anything other than an asshole, right?

Plz 2 b keepin t3h chanspeak outta mah xkcd, kthxbai.

hat_on_a_rat wrote:I guess I'll revise it even further to anyone who acts in a manner unsavory to me, regardless of race, religion, or sexual orientation.

Toeofdoom
The (Male) Skeleton Guitarist

Postby Toeofdoom » Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:29 am UTC

Faggot = something to do with wood. Or sticks. Or something like that.

Anyway, I should be listening to the tutor about some databases thing. It's about forms, so you'll all know exactly what I missed when I start yelling in the irc about "damn people with names like ;DROP TABLE ITEM;//"
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

TigerX
its the squiggles dude!

Postby TigerX » Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:31 am UTC

Toeofdoom wrote:Faggot = something to do with wood. Or sticks. Or something like that.

Sure, if you live in Britain.

Since most folks here don't, it's more than likely a pejorative term for homosexuals (and it happens to be one of the few words that I will pipe up when someone uses it).

Aperfectring

Postby Aperfectring » Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:33 am UTC

hat_on_a_rat wrote:I understand that Faggot is an intolerant term, but it's popular slang that conveys my exact feeling pretty well.

I find that douche bag and ass-wipe tend to have the same effect without making me come off as worse than those I am trying to describe.
Odds are I did well on my probability exam.

Zak

Postby Zak » Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:33 am UTC

From wiki:
A faggot or fagot is a bundle of sticks or branches, usually meant for use as firewood

Faggot (slang), a pejorative term for a homosexual or effeminate man

Faggot (food), a British meatball commonly made of pork offal

Faggot (unit of measurement), an archaic unit of measurement for bundles of sticks

Ashen faggot (or ashton fagot), a British Christmas tradition

Faggoting (metalworking), a metalworking technique

Huh, there are way more uses for the word faggot than i thought...
*waggles eyebrows*

functionally_stupid

Postby functionally_stupid » Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:39 am UTC

hat_on_a_rat:

:D

See, the problem with that is that you made me feel sick to my stomach just now. Because, in my crazy little messed-up world, "faggot" is NOT a popular slang term. I live and interact with a bunch of kind, friendly, extremely tolerant and awesome people. So I guess I'm trying to say, dear god, culture shock much? These fora are a kind, friendly, and tolerant place. So... uh... it kind of sickens me when people bring nasty and hateful things into them. Like it's a sort of pollution or rot. Basically this is a happy place. And you just sort of... uh... pissed in it. So that's why I'm upset. And I'm fairly certain that hearing words like "faggot", "nigger", etc., tossed around casually, would make a lot of other people on the fora feel upset as well. Because it's a safe and happy place for them, too. So, I'm just asking that you please not do that any more. Ever.

I have faith in your essential decency and goodness as a human being. I honestly think you're likely to be a charming and unique individual. Please just be careful not to unintentionally dick around with people's emotions, and we'll get along just fine.

Okay?
Last edited by functionally_stupid on Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:40 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
I wrote it in a style I fondly refer to as "unabashedly fancy" - i.e., "Fuck Zen minimalism, I'm gonna use all of my favorite words and stack loads of complex syntax n' modifying phrases'n'clauses in this motherfucker, goddamn."

Zak

Postby Zak » Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:40 am UTC

But what if i wanna talk about a bundle of sticks?
*waggles eyebrows*

shinybaby
In-Tents
Location: formerly Toronto, now London (Ontario)... anyone here??

Postby shinybaby » Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:41 am UTC

functionally_stupid wrote:hat_on_a_rat:

:D

See, the problem with that is that you made me feel sick to my stomach just now. Because, in my crazy little messed-up world, "faggot" is NOT a popular slang term. I live and interact with a bunch of kind, friendly, extremely tolerant and awesome people. So I guess I'm trying to say, dear god, culture shock much? These fora are a kind, friendly, and tolerant place. So... uh... it kind of sickens me when people bring nasty and hateful things into them. Like it's a sort of pollution or rot. Basically this is a happy place. And you just sort of... uh... pissed in it. So that's why I'm upset. And I'm fairly certain that hearing words like "faggot", "nigger", etc., tossed around casually, would make a lot of other people on the fora feel upset as well. Because it's a safe and happy place for them, too. So, I'm just asking that you please not do that any more. Ever.

I have faith in your essential decency and goodness as a human being. I honestly think you're likely to be a charming and unique individual. Please just be careful not to unintentionally dick around with people's emotions, and we'll get along just fine.

Okay?
this is an absolutely fabulous response. :D kudos
Gordon wrote:1) Meet Gordon
2) Deploy Gordon
3) ...
4) Profit!!!

hat_on_a_rat

Postby hat_on_a_rat » Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:42 am UTC

I apologize. I edited it from my posts, and posted what I actually meant, I didn't mean to rile you guys up so much, and I'm sorry that I did.
I have nothing wrong with gay people, It's just that at my school, EVERYONE (yes, even the gay people) use that word (not including it in this post, lest I inspire even more ire against me) to describe someone who irritates them, I forgot that some people actually take words this seriously.
Last edited by hat_on_a_rat on Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:45 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

functionally_stupid

Postby functionally_stupid » Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:45 am UTC

Z.A.K: That's perfectly fine. I'd reccommend using the single-g spelling, though, to avoid miscommunication.

(Yeah, I know, you were being flippant, I just like ruining sarcasm by pretending not to understand it. Because I am principally opposed to FUN. And laughter. Laughter is right out. Oooh, scary f_s! XD)

hat_on_a_rat: It's fine! We still like you. I still think you're neat. People fuck up sometimes, it happens, it's all good. Whatcha eat for lunch today?

hat_on_a_rat

Postby hat_on_a_rat » Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:46 am UTC

functionally_stupid wrote:Z.A.K: That's perfectly fine. I'd reccommend using the single-g spelling, though, to avoid miscommunication.

(Yeah, I know, you were being flippant, I just like ruining sarcasm by pretending not to understand it. Because I am principally opposed to FUN. And laughter. Laughter is right out. Oooh, scary f_s! XD)

hat_on_a_rat: It's fine! We still like you. I still think you're neat. People fuck up sometimes, it happens, it's all good. Whatcha eat for lunch today?

Pizza, you?

functionally_stupid

Postby functionally_stupid » Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:48 am UTC

I... uh...

Aw, fuck, I forgot to eat lunch again.

See y'all later, I've got some foodening to do.

bbctol
Super Deluxe Forum Title of DESTINYâ„¢

Postby bbctol » Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:49 am UTC

Confession: Damn, that was some diplomatic skillfulness right there from f_s. Now I wish I could do that without sounding like a tool.

EDIT: "f_s" looks like a bemused "o_o" smiley. To my insane brain.

hat_on_a_rat

Postby hat_on_a_rat » Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:52 am UTC

bbctol wrote:Confession: Damn, that was some diplomatic skillfulness right there from f_s. Now I wish I could do that without sounding like a tool.

That's what I thought it was until I looked at Functionals name. XD
Last edited by hat_on_a_rat on Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:09 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Nebulae

Postby Nebulae » Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:42 am UTC

Z.A.K wrote:From wiki:
A faggot or fagot is a bundle of sticks or branches, usually meant for use as firewood

Faggot (slang), a pejorative term for a homosexual or effeminate man

Faggot (food), a British meatball commonly made of pork offal

Faggot (unit of measurement), an archaic unit of measurement for bundles of sticks

Ashen faggot (or ashton fagot), a British Christmas tradition

Faggoting (metalworking), a metalworking technique

Huh, there are way more uses for the word faggot than i thought...

Faggotto is also bassoon in Italian.

I want some meatballs all of a sudden.

Insignificant Deifaction
Small Goddess

Postby Insignificant Deifaction » Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:03 am UTC

@functionally_stupid:

I'm glad I'm not the only person who thinks of this as a happy place and hates to see it profaned.

Aside/Confession: I bite my tongue frequently in comparison to most people, for a few reasons.
1) It is a bit long for my mouth
2) Extreme lack of concentration on it most of the time (ie: beyond the realms of most people's non-awareness of it).
3) Habit of licking between canines when concentrating
Belial wrote:You are giving me the tools to sodomize my vast imagination, and for this I am grateful.

PM Me, if you care for a chat.

functionally_stupid

Postby functionally_stupid » Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:16 am UTC

bbctol wrote:Confession: Damn, that was some diplomatic skillfulness right there from f_s. Now I wish I could do that without sounding like a tool.

;D ;D What can I say? I am full of diplomacy. DELICIOUS diplomacy.

Oh, right, I haven't eaten yet. Damn it! Got distracted by Doctor Who! AAAAUUGHHH WHY DO I NOT EAT FOOD.

The Mighty Thesaurus
In your library, eating your students

Postby The Mighty Thesaurus » Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:17 am UTC

Nebulae wrote:Faggotto is also bassoon in Italian.

That's what we call bassoonists.
LE4dGOLEM wrote:your ability to tell things from things remains one of your skills.
Weeks wrote:Not only can you tell things from things, you can recognize when a thing is a thing

Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

ASmileWithoutACat

Postby ASmileWithoutACat » Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:57 am UTC

Nebulae wrote:Faggotto is also bassoon in Italian.

I believe possibly also in Russian (or the Italian word was absorbed into Russian, I have no idea). This still amuses me, because I remember reading The Master and Margarita (in translation, since the only word of Russian I know is "koschka" (which I have no idea how to transliterate)). Anyway, one of the demons/damned souls/servants of the Devil in the book was named (discovered after some checking of the internet) Faggotto- because he is tall and skinny and shaped rather like a bassoon. However, the translator, rather than actually translating the name (presumably because a character in an english novel named Bassoon would seem a bit ludicrous) just transliterated. And removed what I presume was just the... ending for declension? Declensive ending? Declining ending? Whatever. The result was a book (and since it was published several decades back, this may not have had the same impact then) containing lines like (my favorite) "And so the horrible Faggot vanished from the stage."

The first time I ran across that bit I believe it was an hour before I could stop spontaneously giggling when I recalled it.
You know it's all beginning
To feel like pretending...

Happy yesterday to all!

ThorFluff
Ursus Onanis

Postby ThorFluff » Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:24 am UTC

"Fagott" is basson in swedish haha :P
Confession:
Being damaged by 4chan, I actually use the word "faggot" in every day speech, only this is sweden and few seem to care, even the gay ppl.
Like, "lol-chair wishes he could frown upon this faggotry!"
EsotericWombat wrote:You're... calling the Rolling Stones emo.

It might take a while to gather the lynch mob. no one really planned against this eventuality.

krynd wrote:That'd make an awesome sig. Unfortunately, I'm sure self-sigging isn't allowed...

ParanoydAndroid

Postby ParanoydAndroid » Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:40 am UTC

Insignificant Deification wrote:@functionally_stupid:

I'm glad I'm not the only person who thinks of this as a happy place and hates to see it profaned.

Aside/Confession: I bite my tongue frequently in comparison to most people, for a few reasons.
1) It is a bit long for my mouth
2) Extreme lack of concentration on it most of the time (ie: beyond the realms of most people's non-awareness of it).
3) Habit of licking between canines when concentrating

Are you sure it's not because you want to taste the blood because it makes you feel so GODDAMN ALIVE!! *snaps into a slim jim*

ThorFluff wrote:"Fagott" is basson in swedish haha :P
Confession:
Being damaged by 4chan, I actually use the word "faggot" in every day speech, only this is sweden and few seem to care, even the gay ppl.
Like, "lol-chair wishes he could frown upon this faggotry!"

I use faggot all the time, probably not daily though, and mostly in the ironic sense when one of my gay friends does something super gay. (i.e. Friend:*singing along to Brittney Spears* Me: Don't be a fag :p )

Confession: I'm one of those people that uses ironic to mean absolutely everything even vaguely similar to its original meaning, because it's easier to be part of the 99% who use it incorrectly, as opposed to the 1% who correct them.

-B
I may be an idiot sir, but one thing I am not, sir, is an idiot.

Berengal
Superabacus Mystic of the First Rank

Postby Berengal » Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:37 am UTC

Hey, now, "faggot" is a perfectly valid insult, along with all the other sexuality questioning insults. At least one of my gay friends tell me so. And, let's face it, there are few burns equaling being told "stop being so incredibly gay, fag!" by one of those extremely feminine (male) gay people. I could come with several anecdotes here, but I'll just post the stats (I kept track. It was fascinating): Attacks by homophobes, 12. Rebuttal calling the homophobe homosexual, 12. Comebacks from the homophobes, 0. Condescending laughter at the homophobe from the spectators, 12.

Confession: I reexamine myself every time I open this topic, trying to find something to confess. I feel it helps, though, as I've found quite a deal of insight in the process.
It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students who are motivated by money: As potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration.

TigerX
its the squiggles dude!

Postby TigerX » Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:01 am UTC

Confession: I find it pathetic that such people as would find xkcd would need to use such a word.

Next time you feel the need to use said word, please replace it with a ethnic slur as such would be a synonymously pathetic usage of language.

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:03 am UTC

I'm in agreement with TigerX, though I'm straight so it probably shouldn't offend me as much as it does. People who know me know better than to use it in that fashion in my presence.

functionally_stupid

Postby functionally_stupid » Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:12 am UTC

Guys, guys, I thought we made this clear, I fixed everything with my magical ninja interpersonal skills, yes?

Edit: At least let me pretend to have *one* superpower...

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:27 am UTC

You can have one, as long as it's 'pretending to have a superpower'.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I believe that everything can and must be joked about.
Hawknc wrote:I like to think that he hasn't left, he's just finally completed his foe list.

ParanoydAndroid

Postby ParanoydAndroid » Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:34 am UTC

TigerX wrote:Confession: I find it pathetic that such people as would find xkcd would need to use such a word.

Next time you feel the need to use said word, please replace it with a ethnic slur as such would be a synonymously pathetic usage of language.

Although I can totally understand how/why it offends people, I guess I'm just more lax about it. I try to take into consideration what people are attempting to convey when they use a word like that. If they're using "gay" to mean stupid, I can totally buy that, for example. In an ideal world people would put such derogatory language out of their vocabulary, but the world isn't ideal and it can be very hard to change speech patterns you've developed, especially as a child. On the other hand when someone calls me a fag and uses it as an actual slur (slur? does that work?) I have no hesitation in feeling the deep need to kick their ass.

As an example, I grew up around so many racist people, I didn't even know Nig--- was inappropriate until I was like 12, and many of my friends, even if they grew smart enough to be tolerant, still use Nig--- to refer to either black people, or their friends, and I've grown used to language being used in such a manner. I understand it's not meant to be derogatory when they use it, I also understand it's still derogatory no matter what their intentions, but if it's just among us, meh.

-B

(Note: Among internet forums though, I believe everyone should stay on the safe side, it's only polite and I try to do my best to offend as few people as possible ... except those damned computational linguists ...)

ThorFluff
Ursus Onanis

Postby ThorFluff » Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:39 pm UTC

Confession:
Being offended by words, taking no heed to thier context, THAT's Pathetic to me.

It might take a while to gather the lynch mob. no one really planned against this eventuality.

krynd wrote:That'd make an awesome sig. Unfortunately, I'm sure self-sigging isn't allowed...

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:38 pm UTC

ThorFluff wrote:Confession:
Being offended by words, taking no heed to thier context, THAT's Pathetic to me.

Pretending that the context of your statement is the only context that matters is kindof shortsighted.

The cultural and societal context is pretty important, too, and trying to insist that using "gay" or "faggot" to mean "stupid things that I hate" isn't a slight to gay people is ignoring them pretty hard.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

ThorFluff
Ursus Onanis

Postby ThorFluff » Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:51 pm UTC

I didn't mean that i think homosexuals shouldn't be allowed to be offended. Wouldn't be right to deny them that. But a word is just a word, and will only continue to be an insult if the insultées keep being insulted by it.

EDIT:
Ok that sounded stupid.
But what i meant is that, It's just a word! Ascribing it with dark powers of souldestruction is doing nothing but empowering to the word.
And people, who constantly gets offended by words themselves, such as people going "Oh! don't talk like that in my precense!" when you say fuck, tend to annoy me. Specially if there is no way to connect it to any form of insult directed at them.
Last edited by ThorFluff on Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:00 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:59 pm UTC

ThorFluff wrote:I didn't mean that i think homosexuals shouldn't be allowed to be offended. Wouldn't be right to deny them that. But a word is just a word, and will only continue to be an insult if the insultées keep being insulted by it.

Or if other people continue to see them as insulted by it.

For example, if you continually associate "gay" with "stupid and bad" on a wide, pervasive scale, how do you think that influences societal attitudes toward homosexuality?

Granted, it probably also grows out of societal attitudes toward homosexuality, but that's a case of societal attitudes reinforcing themselves. Why participate in a feedback loop that both issues from and contributes to an attitude you ostensibly disagree with?
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

ThorFluff
Ursus Onanis

Postby ThorFluff » Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:01 pm UTC

*edited the above post for stupid formulation*

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:03 pm UTC

By the way, "gay" is used as a synonym for "lame" not "stupid".
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

ParanoydAndroid

Postby ParanoydAndroid » Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:04 pm UTC

ThorFluff wrote:I didn't mean that i think homosexuals shouldn't be allowed to be offended. Wouldn't be right to deny them that. But a word is just a word, and will only continue to be an insult if the insultées keep being insulted by it.

EDIT:
Ok that sounded stupid.
But what i meant is that, It's just a word! Ascribing it with dark powers of souldestruction is doing nothing but empowering to the word.
And people, who constantly gets offended by words themselves, such as people going "Oh! don't talk like that in my precense!" when you say fuck, tend to annoy me. Specially if there is no way to connect it to any form of insult directed at them.

My friend (who just completed his masters' thesis in Speech, YAY!) and I were arguing this issue, and he said something I really like, "you may encode your speech with a specific purpose, but it's those who decode that information that give it meaning."

Of course, like I said in my above post, I'm personally not really all that anal about this stuff.

-B

Return to “General”