How normal are you?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

How normal are you?

7%
12%
36%
35%
9%

Total votes: 187

koneko

Re: How normal are you?

Postby koneko » Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:25 am UTC

Shizo wrote:Four. I act like a 2 outside so people will leave me alone. However, I fap to loli and guro. My favorite genre of music is avant-garde. I also enjoy watching people get hurt, whipped, etc. Instant like 4 or 5, right?

:oops:

the guro alone gets you there, those girls scare me!
ImageImage

Berengal
Superabacus Mystic of the First Rank

Postby Berengal » Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:07 am UTC

I know a girl named Guro. Her blog got 9/10ths of it's traffic from Japan...
It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students who are motivated by money: As potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration.

Antimatter Spork

Postby Antimatter Spork » Sun Mar 16, 2008 3:46 am UTC

Gelsamel wrote:
Antimatter Spork wrote:I refuse to vote until someone provides a satisfactory definition of "normal" in the context of this discussion.
Being "(Totally) Normal" is meeting all the standards of the culture/society that you live in. In any areas where there are no defined standards you must at least not stray into defined sub-standards.

Yeah, but then you have to decide what the standards are, what they apply to, how much deviation from said standards makes you abnormal. That's not even taking into account how standards of behavior differ by geographical location and the specific social group you hang out with.

My point was basically that people who care about being "normal" are generally going to be the ones to define it to suit their needs. I don't think that perception of "normal" has anything to do with the way people actually are (especially since most of this forum seems to think they're 3 or 4, which would make them normal within the context of this community, where it's normal to think you're not normal).
Albert Schweitzer wrote:There are two means of refuge from the misery of life — music and cats.

cypherspace

Postby cypherspace » Sun Mar 16, 2008 4:11 am UTC

Antimatter Spork wrote:
Gelsamel wrote:
Antimatter Spork wrote:I refuse to vote until someone provides a satisfactory definition of "normal" in the context of this discussion.
Being "(Totally) Normal" is meeting all the standards of the culture/society that you live in. In any areas where there are no defined standards you must at least not stray into defined sub-standards.

Yeah, but then you have to decide what the standards are, what they apply to, how much deviation from said standards makes you abnormal.

But that's what people are doing. How normal do you think you are? It's up to you to decide.
"It was like five in the morning and he said he'd show me his hamster"

swik

Postby swik » Sun Mar 16, 2008 4:26 am UTC

This thread reminds me of a movie I saw when I was like 9, called Angus. I don't remember much about it probably wasn't too great, but it had James Van Der Beek as the bully. Anyway it's about an overweight kid who gets tormented in high school and at the end in a confrontation with the bully in front of the school he launches into a speech about how there is no such thing as normal.

I can't believe I still remember any parts of that movie (I saw a TON of films as a child, my mother took us a few times a week generally). Probably impossible to define anything in the personality department as normal.

Aerol

Postby Aerol » Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:32 am UTC

I'm a 4 or a 5. I just hide it really well.

koneko

Postby koneko » Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:05 am UTC

swik wrote:This thread reminds me of a movie I saw when I was like 9, called Angus. I don't remember much about it probably wasn't too great, but it had James Van Der Beek as the bully. Anyway it's about an overweight kid who gets tormented in high school and at the end in a confrontation with the bully in front of the school he launches into a speech about how there is no such thing as normal.

I can't believe I still remember any parts of that movie (I saw a TON of films as a child, my mother took us a few times a week generally). Probably impossible to define anything in the personality department as normal.

Is that the one where his grandpa died and he wore a purple suit to prom?
ImageImage

Poochy

Postby Poochy » Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:16 am UTC

My normal probability plot shows a clear skew with lots of outliers. 'Nuff said.

I don't really think there's really a such thing as truly and exactly "normal" for humans, but I think it's also safe to say I'm 2 or more standard deviations from the mean in many ways.
clintonius wrote:"You like that, RIAA? Yeah, the law burns, doesn't it?"
GENERATION 63,728,127: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and divide the generation number by 2 if it's even, or multiply it by 3 then add 1 if it's odd. Social experiment.

Antimatter Spork

Postby Antimatter Spork » Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:02 pm UTC

cypherspace wrote:But that's what people are doing. How normal do you think you are? It's up to you to decide.

On a scale from 1 to 5, I'm a cute kitten.
Albert Schweitzer wrote:There are two means of refuge from the misery of life — music and cats.

swik

Postby swik » Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:12 pm UTC

koneko wrote:
swik wrote:This thread reminds me of a movie I saw when I was like 9, called Angus. I don't remember much about it probably wasn't too great, but it had James Van Der Beek as the bully. Anyway it's about an overweight kid who gets tormented in high school and at the end in a confrontation with the bully in front of the school he launches into a speech about how there is no such thing as normal.

Is that the one where his grandpa died and he wore a purple suit to prom?

Yes

morag

Postby morag » Sun Mar 16, 2008 3:02 pm UTC

I suspect that people tend to gravitate towards others they share commonalities with. There is a fair bit of variety within the human race, so it's likely that no matter who you are, there will be groups of people who you feel normal around, and other groups with whom you feel more abnormal.

I felt like a complete misfit at school, but found commonality with some others at university. Different jobs held the same extremes but to a lesser extent. Some situations bring out the camaraderie in people (like conferences - it's always easy to hook up with a bunch of other delegates and have great conversations when traveling in foreign lands, because everyone is in the same boat so to speak).

Mother and toddler classes often make me feel like an alien, but I think they are important for my children.

So, if you don't feel normal, you just need to find your niche with like-minded freaks.

koneko

Postby koneko » Sun Mar 16, 2008 3:08 pm UTC

morag wrote:Mother and toddler classes often make me feel like an alien, but I think they are important for my children.

Not necessarily true. Are your children in daycare? Do they spend time with other children their age outside of that setting? I work at a preschool and to be honest a one and a half year old simply does not need to start with the whole social networking thing. The best thing you can do for your child is to drop them off in a daycare where they can learn to socialize with other children without you there. It will make their transition to preschool much easier for both them and you, not to mention their teachers. It also gives them time to play with a room full of toys and friends, and you time to do mom things with the use of both hands for more than five minutes at a time.

Aside from all of that, you don't need to be making friends for yourself in that class. The other mothers are completely focused on their children and generally do not have the time or desire to chat over coffee at starbucks.
ImageImage

morag

Postby morag » Sun Mar 16, 2008 3:45 pm UTC

koneko wrote:Are your children in daycare?
No, I've managed to keep my work mostly to their nap times and evenings. I've been in a bit of a quandary about what to do over the summer as I've been asked to extend my hours. I am probably being a bit overprotective, but I really don't like the idea of someone I don't know very well looking after them both, especially as it would be from 7:30am-6pm to allow me time to get to and from work.
Do they spend time with other children their age outside of that setting?
They have each other, and there are three groups a week we attend. Other than that they see their cousins (older and younger) some weekends, and do play dates with other children. Trips to soft play can end up a social activity as my daughter is very good at finding older children to play with her. My son does it too to a lesser extent.

Although this may be a mother's bias, I think they are both really smart. I've been trying to teach them as much as I can (presented as play), but I do worry that I'll make them misfits when it comes to school if I teach them too much.
koneko wrote:The best thing you can do for your child is to drop them off in a daycare where they can learn to socialize with other children without you there. It will make their transition to preschool much easier for both them and you, not to mention their teachers. It also gives them time to play with a room full of toys and friends, and you time to do mom things with the use of both hands for more than five minutes at a time.
That sounds incredibly appealing and very scary at the same time.

koneko

Postby koneko » Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:15 pm UTC

morag wrote:That sounds incredibly appealing and very scary at the same time.

It is scary. The hardest thing you can do is leave your children with complete strangers for a day. Where I work some people don't bring their children every day, some people are only partial daycare, and some are 7-6 every day. It's hard at first, but as long as you do your research and find a good daycare I promise it is a positive experience.
If it makes you feel any better, summer is the best time of year where I work. We're not stuck inside because of nasty weather, we have the best activities, and to be honest it feels less like work to me.
Dropping your children off at daycare is not abandoning them at the end of the earth. If you find out when their naptime is and call when most of the kids are asleep, their teacher will have plenty of time to discuss how their day is going so far, what activities they've done, how much they ate, etc. For younger children most daycares also send home a daily sheet packed with information about your child's day as well, and if they do not you are completely within your rights to provide one for them to fill out.
Daycare is not a fit for every parent and every child, and can be a hard transition, but from my experience the better-adjusted and more developmentally advanced children are the ones who go to daycare at least twice a week.
ImageImage

sk8ingdom

Postby sk8ingdom » Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:18 pm UTC

I can only extrapolate from our samle size that our population as a whole is not normal. Just look at the distribution, we're definitely skewed toward weird.

Berengal
Superabacus Mystic of the First Rank

Postby Berengal » Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:26 am UTC

sk8ingdom wrote:I can only extrapolate from our samle size that our population as a whole is not normal. Just look at the distribution, we're definitely skewed toward weird.

I'm inclined to believe the conclusion is that people are lying instead. That's right, I accused you of lying, and the statistics support me. About 90% of the votes should be either 1 or 2 for "normal" to be considered, indeed, normal. Since they aren't, it isn't, and you've got it wrong.
It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students who are motivated by money: As potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration.

tylerwylie

Postby tylerwylie » Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:32 am UTC

koneko wrote:
Shizo wrote:Four. I act like a 2 outside so people will leave me alone. However, I fap to loli and guro. My favorite genre of music is avant-garde. I also enjoy watching people get hurt, whipped, etc. Instant like 4 or 5, right?

:oops:

the guro alone gets you there, those girls scare me!

I had to look up what loli and guro means...

Normality ftw.
Who are you and who am I
To say we know the reason why?
Some are born; some men die
Beneath one infinite sky.
There'll be war, there'll be peace.
But everything one day will cease.
All the iron turned to rust;
All the proud men turned to dust.

Zak

Postby Zak » Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:00 am UTC

I don't know what they are, and i don't really have the motivation to find out...
*waggles eyebrows*

Aperfectring

Postby Aperfectring » Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:16 am UTC

I had to mark 3 because it is the closest to Euler's number, my actual value on a scale from 1-5. The most part of that mark is due to the fact that I tried 5 different Linux distributions before settling on the one I have now:
  • Mandrake
  • Red Hat
  • Gentoo
  • Slackware
  • Suse
In that order, and I now use Debian, and have for 3 years.
Odds are I did well on my probability exam.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:27 am UTC

Z.A.K wrote:I don't know what they are, and i don't really have the motivation to find out...

Loli - prepubescent girls
Guro - I assume Ero guro here - dismemberment presented erotically. More or less.
Unless the original speaker meant Ganguro, which is.. well, Japanese women with stylized tans and blonde/othercolor hair, more or less.

Now, good luck getting that out of your head.
Last edited by SecondTalon on Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:29 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

stockpot

Postby stockpot » Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:28 am UTC

I'd say I'm a pretty normal object. Stockpots are common things, and I was mass-produced in a factory rather than "handcrafted" or anything fancy like that.

JayDee wrote:I'm mostly normal during the day. At night I tend more to parallel.
Oh, just like my best friend!

Zak

Postby Zak » Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:31 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Now, good luck getting that out of your head.

*smacks head repeatedly against desk with great force*

Damn... Still there.
*waggles eyebrows*

Shizo

Postby Shizo » Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:44 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Ganguro

gross.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:33 am UTC

...but sexualized dismemberment isn't?

Alright.. you're a 3.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

koneko

Postby koneko » Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:39 am UTC

idunno, i'm all about dying in a back alley somewhere when it's my time to go
ImageImage

aleflamedyud
wants your cookies

Postby aleflamedyud » Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:02 am UTC

Tribes in Brazil call me their God.

You Goa'uld bastard.

I said a 3. The things I do do are mostly 2 at worst. The thing I don't do are 5.

Or rather, the things that I don't do differentiate me from others far more than what I do.
"With kindness comes naïveté. Courage becomes foolhardiness. And dedication has no reward. If you can't accept any of that, you are not fit to be a graduate student."

lowbart

Postby lowbart » Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:35 pm UTC

I think that this poll is made of fail, even though the thread that grew out of it is okay.
...a fish called the Henamo grunter, named because it makes grunting noises from its swim bladder.
v1nsai wrote:Yes, I'm Linux, how can I help you ma'am?

i like pi

Postby i like pi » Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:54 pm UTC

I'm thinking I'm pretty weird, since I go around asking people for hugs, and whenever I say something, I try to think of a way for it to be misinterpreted. Then I say "Do not misinterpret."
Or something to that effect. Hell, I don't know.

Artemisia

Postby Artemisia » Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:02 pm UTC

I voted 3, but I'm more of 2,5. I do not consider myself weird because I act weird, but because I am distinctly different from other girls my age. I've surprised people more than once when asked (or not asked) my opinion about certain matters. I act very mature for my age but I do LOOK pretty young.
ALso, not having any desire to have children makes me different from other women by definition.

Apparently my personality really differs from what people expect when they first get to know me. But I am very honest and straightforward, and I do not like to conform just for the sake of conforming, so they find out pretty quickly that I'm not "normal". I obey to rules of law (mostly because I agree with them) and I am polite, because I like to be treated likewise, but I will not DO stuff JUST because I want to be considered normal.

I consider "normal" as a shitty term anyway. "normal" is about conformity, people want others to think they're not insane but if they'd be really true to themselves and not afraid to stand out, I think there would not be such thing as conformity anymore. It's all in the line of people being a "herd-species" so standing out = bad.

Koneko: Daycare is not a fit for every parent and every child, and can be a hard transition, but from my experience the better-adjusted and more developmentally advanced children are the ones who go to daycare at least twice a week.

bit offtopic, and as a declared childfree person I might not be the greatest source but I distinctly remember when I was a kid, my mum started working again when I was 6 and that greatly improved my independence from a small age. I had to walk home with my little sister after school(which was 5 mins and perfectly safe) , which really boosted a feeling of independancy and responsablitity. Some (bad) stuff that happened in our family which caused my parents to focuss mainly on my brother for a fair deal of time kind-of finished the job. As a teenager I was very mature for my age already, and it really helped me deal with some heavy and bad issues at a fairly young age.
tl;dr: encourage independance from a young age is a good thing ^^
This too shall pass

Avram

Postby Avram » Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:53 am UTC

Berengal wrote:About 90% of the votes should be either 1 or 2 for "normal" to be considered, indeed, normal.

That would only make 1 normal for the group of people who voted. Since this is xkcd, it's completely expected that the numbers should scew (squeue? skjue? fuck, I forgot how to spell) to the "weird" side. The question clearly did not mean "how weird are you relative to the average xkcd-er?"

Zak

Postby Zak » Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:55 am UTC

Skew
*waggles eyebrows*

koneko

Postby koneko » Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:26 am UTC

Spew :mrgreen:
ImageImage

cypherspace

Postby cypherspace » Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:33 am UTC

I think you'll find he means "Sckheoow."
"It was like five in the morning and he said he'd show me his hamster"

koneko

Postby koneko » Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:46 am UTC

not schemeow?
ImageImage

Zak

Postby Zak » Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:26 am UTC

Spack-a-CHOW!
*waggles eyebrows*

koneko

Postby koneko » Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:28 am UTC

My spack-a-chows. Let me show you them.
ImageImage

NMcCoy

Postby NMcCoy » Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:44 am UTC

Zak

Postby Zak » Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:49 am UTC

Spock-a-chew!

I choose you!
\\\///
*waggles eyebrows*

margeman2k3

Postby margeman2k3 » Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:14 am UTC

i should be a 5, but i missed the part where you say that the system is counter-intuitive, so i claimed to be a 1 :S

Flayer

Postby Flayer » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:06 am UTC

Fat Tony wrote:I said three. I'm often told I'm weird, and I don't strive in the least bit to be normal, but I'm not creepy-weird.

Based on this, I am 5, but I went with 4. At the very least, I border creepy weird. Ask Flying Betty.

Return to “General”