Confessional Shed - I'll keep a look-out

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

ACU-LP
Posts: 2826
Joined: Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:39 pm UTC
Location: Sydney
Contact:

Re: Confessional Lead- Something weighing on your mind?

Postby ACU-LP » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:49 am UTC

Helios471 wrote:
Luthen wrote:Fess: In line with the above, of the last two weeks, I've only been to the gym twice of the six times I was meant to go. And I've done nothing towards eating more healthy food.

Fess: I was disappointed by my April Fools. Nothing happened.
The healthy food bit hadn't even entered my mind. That one is going to be a difficult one :P I like my food greasy and unhealthy!
Wait....there exists food that isn't? And equipment that allows you to.....exercise?
I Am Raven wrote:Math is like a penis: it can be very satisfactory, but also a pain in the ass.
Red vs Blue wrote:Wash: That was the worst throw ever. Of all time.
Caboose: Not my fault. Someone put a wall in my way.

User avatar
Helios471
Posts: 397
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:00 am UTC
Location: Sydney

Re: Confessional Lead- Something weighing on your mind?

Postby Helios471 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:54 am UTC

ACU-LP wrote:
Helios471 wrote:
Luthen wrote:Fess: In line with the above, of the last two weeks, I've only been to the gym twice of the six times I was meant to go. And I've done nothing towards eating more healthy food.

Fess: I was disappointed by my April Fools. Nothing happened.
The healthy food bit hadn't even entered my mind. That one is going to be a difficult one :P I like my food greasy and unhealthy!
Wait....there exists food that isn't? And equipment that allows you to.....exercise?

I know, I'm seeking out these "gyms" as a means of determining the existence of this equipment - it could be an important discovery. Everyone knows there is no such thing as non-unhealthy food, that is just preposterous.

User avatar
Quadropus
Posts: 572
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:30 pm UTC

Re: Confessional Lead- Something weighing on your mind?

Postby Quadropus » Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:24 pm UTC

Subliminity wrote:I'm depressed.
People talk to me.
I ignore them, though I want people to like me.
I've never had a girlfriend, at 13.
I've never gotten kissed.
I've never had sex, but then again I want to wait until I have someone that loves me and cares about me. :)
I can't talk to people over the phone.
I don't have any friends that I see a lot.
I haven't been to school in 4 months.
I talk to people mostly over MSN.
The only friends that I talk to everyday are in Australia, and I'm in the US, and I've never met them.
I give advice to people, but they just shrug it off.
No one listens to me.
I'm religious, but I'm not sure I still believe in God, so I'm afraid of going to hell.
I see evil things in my head at night.
I want to be loved...
My mom cares about me more than anything, but I always argue and yell at her.
I can't be separated from my mom.
My dad is dead, and it screwed up my life.
I'm short, at 5'4".
I'm fat, at 144 pounds.
I feel like no one cares except my mom.
I lie compulsively sometimes, but apologize sincerely for it after.
I'm scared that people reading this'll think I'm insane, because I'm not, and I'm probably writing this so it sounds exaggerated...I think I'm normal, I'm just sad... :(



Don't worry, I don't think you're insane either :).
Like many before have said, don't worry about the sex thing, believe me; it is so much better waiting for someone who you actually care about than just having sex with any old person (I am speaking from experience here). I suppose I technically lost my virginity at 16, but that was with someone I don't even like, and now I regret it. I don't want you to do that.

As for school, please go... please!
Like someone else said, do it for your Mom, when you come out with good grades (which I am sure you're capable of) it will make her proud.
if it is an issue of motivation (again, speaking from experience), find something you want, someone you admire/aspire to be like, then work towards it. When you have a goal in mind, it is much easier to put the work in.

That is all for now, if you want to talk more, I'm sure lots of people here are more than willing! So feel free to PM me if you like. I wont be offended if you don't! :P
Image

"If I go insane, please don't put your wires in my brain"

User avatar
I Am Raven
Posts: 2416
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:09 am UTC
Location: Amsterdam.
Contact:

Re: Confessional Lead- Something weighing on your mind?

Postby I Am Raven » Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:09 pm UTC

Subliminity wrote:I'm depressed.
People talk to me.
I ignore them, though I want people to like me.
I've never had a girlfriend, at 13.
I've never gotten kissed.
I've never had sex, but then again I want to wait until I have someone that loves me and cares about me. :)
I can't talk to people over the phone.
I don't have any friends that I see a lot.
I haven't been to school in 4 months.
I talk to people mostly over MSN.
The only friends that I talk to everyday are in Australia, and I'm in the US, and I've never met them.
I give advice to people, but they just shrug it off.
No one listens to me.
I'm religious, but I'm not sure I still believe in God, so I'm afraid of going to hell.
I see evil things in my head at night.
I want to be loved...
My mom cares about me more than anything, but I always argue and yell at her.
I can't be separated from my mom.
My dad is dead, and it screwed up my life.
I'm short, at 5'4".
I'm fat, at 144 pounds.
I feel like no one cares except my mom.
I lie compulsively sometimes, but apologize sincerely for it after.
I'm scared that people reading this'll think I'm insane, because I'm not, and I'm probably writing this so it sounds exaggerated...I think I'm normal, I'm just sad... :(

You are talented.
Ptolom wrote:penis

User avatar
Subliminity
needs friends
Posts: 260
Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:29 am UTC
Location: Yucaipa, California
Contact:

Re: Confessional Lead- Something weighing on your mind?

Postby Subliminity » Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:15 pm UTC

I Am Raven wrote:
Subliminity wrote:I'm depressed.
People talk to me.
I ignore them, though I want people to like me.
I've never had a girlfriend, at 13.
I've never gotten kissed.
I've never had sex, but then again I want to wait until I have someone that loves me and cares about me. :)
I can't talk to people over the phone.
I don't have any friends that I see a lot.
I haven't been to school in 4 months.
I talk to people mostly over MSN.
The only friends that I talk to everyday are in Australia, and I'm in the US, and I've never met them.
I give advice to people, but they just shrug it off.
No one listens to me.
I'm religious, but I'm not sure I still believe in God, so I'm afraid of going to hell.
I see evil things in my head at night.
I want to be loved...
My mom cares about me more than anything, but I always argue and yell at her.
I can't be separated from my mom.
My dad is dead, and it screwed up my life.
I'm short, at 5'4".
I'm fat, at 144 pounds.
I feel like no one cares except my mom.
I lie compulsively sometimes, but apologize sincerely for it after.
I'm scared that people reading this'll think I'm insane, because I'm not, and I'm probably writing this so it sounds exaggerated...I think I'm normal, I'm just sad... :(

You are talented.


How's that? :?

User avatar
I Am Raven
Posts: 2416
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:09 am UTC
Location: Amsterdam.
Contact:

Re: Confessional Lead- Something weighing on your mind?

Postby I Am Raven » Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:17 pm UTC

Subliminity wrote:
I Am Raven wrote:You are talented.

How's that? :?

What you wrote down was beautiful.
That is all.
Ptolom wrote:penis

User avatar
Delalyra
Posts: 1812
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:39 am UTC
Location: Western Mass
Contact:

Re: Confessional Lead- Something weighing on your mind?

Postby Delalyra » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:26 pm UTC

I do not think that word means what you think it means, Raven.
you may remember me from 2008 or 2009. I left for a while. I'm now sporadically back. I tumble here.

User avatar
Subliminity
needs friends
Posts: 260
Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:29 am UTC
Location: Yucaipa, California
Contact:

Re: Confessional Lead- Something weighing on your mind?

Postby Subliminity » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:27 pm UTC

I think you would say "eloquent"? If anything...?

User avatar
Cynwulf
Posts: 208
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:03 pm UTC
Location: California

Re: Confessional Lead- Something weighing on your mind?

Postby Cynwulf » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:42 pm UTC

I Am Raven wrote:
Subliminity wrote:
I Am Raven wrote:You are talented.

How's that? :?

What you wrote down was beautiful.
That is all.

Actually I agree. I think Subliminity wrote a good stream of consciousness. At the poster's age, that piece is damn near poetic.
L'homme est libre au moment qu'il veut l'être. | Man is free at the instant he wants to be.
- Voltaire

User avatar
thatblackguy
Posts: 89
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:07 am UTC

Re: Confessional Lead- Something weighing on your mind?

Postby thatblackguy » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:41 pm UTC

I just wrote a long confessional detailing many amusing things when I noticed this board is publicly indexed. Hmm.


Ok,
Cynwulf wrote:
I Am Raven wrote:
Subliminity wrote:
I Am Raven wrote:You are talented.

How's that? :?

What you wrote down was beautiful.
That is all.

Actually I agree. I think Subliminity wrote a good stream of consciousness. At the poster's age, that piece is damn near poetic.

No not poetic, but deep and jarring quite good but not in the way you're talking.

Subliminity
Props man, you are not insane for the simple reason that you know what you're doing and hence can change the bad and keep the good.
Don't worry about impressing people and holy shit dude, I didn't know there are places where you can feel upset if you don't have a girlfriend by fricking 13. Chill, again don't worry about it and just talk to people you like. If you can't talk to people over the phone, text or something to get comfortable but it'll be very valuable lesson to get over that fear and just go do it, it's not that big a deal.
Good friends you're likely to only find one or two until you hit college again don't worry about it. It's more important to like the people you're with.
Tell your mom how much she means to you, even if you've been shouting, it helps and worth it for the warm fuzzies and what not.
<GauntletWizard> Here's the answer: Computers are far too complex, let's just program everything using Bubblesort. Hardware will catch up
- Wisdom from #signal

User avatar
Chai Kovsky
Posts: 1652
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:36 pm UTC
Location: Californication

Re: Confessional Lead- Something weighing on your mind?

Postby Chai Kovsky » Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:03 am UTC

I didn't have a girlfriend by 13. Now, of course, I'm utterly irresistible :D

You sound like a taller version of me at 13 (I'm 5'0, and for the record, you've just not got your growth spurt yet; don't worry). 6 years of wisdom has taught me that...well, 6 years makes all the difference in the world. It really does get better, promise-promise. Just keep to and essentially just survive and you'll find that things work themselves out.
Spoiler:
kellsbells wrote:¡This Chai is burning me!
Chai Kovsky wrote:I can kill you with my brain.

That is all.
superglucose wrote:In other words: LISTEN TO CHAI.
Delayra wrote:Yet another brilliant idea from Chai!

I <3 Pirate.Bondage!

User avatar
suffer-cait
Yes, that's my perfectly normal house cat, why do you ask?
Posts: 2575
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:01 am UTC
Location: da aina
Contact:

Re: Confessional Lead- Something weighing on your mind?

Postby suffer-cait » Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:06 am UTC

i kind of wonder about the society where not having been laid at 13 is weird.
ImageImageImageImageImage

sje46
Posts: 4730
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 4:41 am UTC
Location: New Hampshire

Re: Confessional Lead- Something weighing on your mind?

Postby sje46 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:09 am UTC

Chai Kovsky wrote:I didn't have a girlfriend by 13. Now, of course, I'm utterly irresistible :D

You sound like a taller version of me at 13 (I'm 5'0, and for the record, you've just not got your growth spurt yet; don't worry). 6 years of wisdom has taught me that...well, 6 years makes all the difference in the world. It really does get better, promise-promise. Just keep to and essentially just survive and you'll find that things work themselves out.

It didn't get better for me. Well, except that I got taller.

subliminity: it's all about you. Believe in yourself, and things will happen. I didn't believe in myself, and I did get better socially, but I'm still really stunted.

suffer-cait wrote:i kind of wonder about your society if not having been laid at 13 is weird.
I wrote a post on the last page about this, that people ignored.
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.

User avatar
suffer-cait
Yes, that's my perfectly normal house cat, why do you ask?
Posts: 2575
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:01 am UTC
Location: da aina
Contact:

Re: Confessional Lead- Something weighing on your mind?

Postby suffer-cait » Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:10 am UTC

was it long? i wasn't interested enough to read long at the time.
ImageImageImageImageImage

User avatar
Chai Kovsky
Posts: 1652
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:36 pm UTC
Location: Californication

Re: Confessional Lead- Something weighing on your mind?

Postby Chai Kovsky » Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:11 am UTC

Don't worry, kid. Statistically speaking, you won't be like sje.

sje, you're not being helpful here!
Spoiler:
kellsbells wrote:¡This Chai is burning me!
Chai Kovsky wrote:I can kill you with my brain.

That is all.
superglucose wrote:In other words: LISTEN TO CHAI.
Delayra wrote:Yet another brilliant idea from Chai!

I <3 Pirate.Bondage!

sje46
Posts: 4730
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 4:41 am UTC
Location: New Hampshire

Re: Confessional Lead- Something weighing on your mind?

Postby sje46 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:15 am UTC

suffer-cait wrote:was it long? i wasn't interested enough to read long at the time.

It's one click of a mouse away.

And it was a small part in a somewhat long post.
Chai Kovsky wrote:Don't worry, kid. Statistically speaking, you won't be like sje.

sje, you're not being helpful here!
:(
I am the one who God made to be the guy people will feel better in comparison to when it comes to social maturity. Except God doesn't exist. Also, there is a 99.9999% chance you won't be as bad as me. Don't worry about it kid, because worrying will make it worse.
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.

User avatar
Subliminity
needs friends
Posts: 260
Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:29 am UTC
Location: Yucaipa, California
Contact:

Re: Confessional Lead- Something weighing on your mind?

Postby Subliminity » Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:19 am UTC

Actually...like I said, I really don't WANT to get laid. I want to, when I know for sure, have sex with someone who I feel is and will forever be with me, through everything.

I'm saying it because even though I know 50% of them are lying (the kids at my school that is...), they SAY they've got laid, gotten head, handjob, whatever. They brag about what they've either done or fantasized about, sometimes in detail. It actually does disturb me that the average teenager uses intercourse as a means of determining their social standing. With all of that going on, honestly, it makes me jealous sometimes.

Also, I'm religious (please, please respect that a *little* and understand) and that's what a lot of my views are based in.


I've never had sex, but then again I want to wait until I have someone that loves me and cares about me. :)

arckos
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:04 pm UTC

Re: Confessional Lead- Something weighing on your mind?

Postby arckos » Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:35 am UTC

Subliminity, don't really let that get to you. I heard the same stuff when I was in middle school, but to be honest, that age group is full of the most confused people, and they are really willing to say anything. You will get to high school and you will change. If you feel like you have a problem with how you look, do something about it. This is something that a lot of people throughout high school, college, and the rest of their lives have a problem with coming to terms with. The easiest thing to change about yourself is your appearance, and out of everything else it is probably what should concern you the least unless it really means something to you.

You will get to high school, and things will (hopefully) get better overtime. Right now is the best time to do something for yourself because you are still growing mentally, socially and physically, so don't get too upset about anything.

SilentSigil
Posts: 134
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:56 pm UTC
Location: The Mind

Re: Confessional Lead- Something weighing on your mind?

Postby SilentSigil » Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:13 am UTC

deleted
Last edited by SilentSigil on Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:27 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
If I say that this is left purposely blank, then the statement contradicts the reality, which is that the sig space was not left blank, but had the words 'This space left purposely blank' in it.

User avatar
Upsilon
Posts: 1119
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:53 am UTC
Location: Wisconsin
Contact:

Re: Confessional Lead- Something weighing on your mind?

Postby Upsilon » Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:18 am UTC

That's a nice tattoo.
22/M/USA
age/sex/location
Spoiler:
Upsilon avatar from TaintedDeity.

User avatar
Subliminity
needs friends
Posts: 260
Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:29 am UTC
Location: Yucaipa, California
Contact:

Re: Confessional Lead- Something weighing on your mind?

Postby Subliminity » Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:19 am UTC

That's awesome! I'm gonna get one...oh, wait, that means pain... :?

That must have hurt A LOT.

User avatar
Wolf
Posts: 581
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:07 pm UTC
Location: Orange County (sadly), California, US

Re: Confessional Lead- Something weighing on your mind?

Postby Wolf » Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:21 am UTC

SilentSigil wrote:Fess:

I'm only posting to show off my new avatar/finished tattoo.


It's so pretty! I really, really like it.
There's a method to my madness. Somewhere. Don't worry, I'll find it!

I'm learning game design! Watch my progress here: http://www.humming-rain.com

My friend wrote:You played fast and loose with punctuation and suffered the consequences.

User avatar
Delalyra
Posts: 1812
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:39 am UTC
Location: Western Mass
Contact:

Re: Confessional Lead- Something weighing on your mind?

Postby Delalyra » Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:22 am UTC

Subliminity wrote:Also, I'm religious (please, please respect that a *little* and understand) and that's what a lot of my views are based in.
I've never had sex, but then again I want to wait until I have someone that loves me and cares about me. :)

There's nothing wrong (or inherently religious) in wanting to wait till you're in love to have sex. Good for you, says I. (just be sure to read up on contraception!)
you may remember me from 2008 or 2009. I left for a while. I'm now sporadically back. I tumble here.

User avatar
nightlina
Posts: 1174
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:07 am UTC
Location: Probably at work... in Australia. Therefore I post while you sleep.

Re: Confessional Lead- Something weighing on your mind?

Postby nightlina » Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:35 am UTC

I confess that it's taken me this many days to 'get' the new title of the thread. I had misunderstood 'lead' to mean the version that's pronounced 'leed' .. and I was wondering whether we were leading someone to confession or something... and what it had to do with weighing....

Damn I feel dumb now :P

As to waiting for marriage for sex... I don't think you really need to wait that long, but I do think it's nice to wait until you find someone you care about before going through with it. As this would be the same for marriage (ie, I wouldn't marry someone I didn't care about) I can kinda see how you could wait successfully. The problem really arises when you consider that you will care for multiple people across your lifetime, but you're better off only marrying one of them. You can, however, have (safe) sex with multiple people whom you care about without really making your life too difficult. But really, of the two sexual partners I've had, I've only really cared about one of them and I could easily see myself marrying him, so I guess we probably *could* have waited....

It's more fun this way, tho ;)
Image

SilentSigil
Posts: 134
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:56 pm UTC
Location: The Mind

Re: Confessional Lead- Something weighing on your mind?

Postby SilentSigil » Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:45 am UTC

deleted
Last edited by SilentSigil on Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:27 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
If I say that this is left purposely blank, then the statement contradicts the reality, which is that the sig space was not left blank, but had the words 'This space left purposely blank' in it.

User avatar
Chai Kovsky
Posts: 1652
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:36 pm UTC
Location: Californication

Re: Confessional Lead- Something weighing on your mind?

Postby Chai Kovsky » Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:59 am UTC

You wait as long as you wait, Sublimity. If, for religious reasons, you want to wait until marriage, that's great. If you decide before then that you'd like to, that's fine too. There's sure as hell no rush to do ANY of those things, particularly not in middle school. I suspect those who do it early do so because of pressure; you're certainly not blameworthy for not getting action. Or even getting a girlfriend; there are BUNCHES of people here who've been single all their lives into their 20's and later.

Also, if you have religious beliefs, that's just fine. Not everyone on these fora is an atheist and most are not jackasses either way about religion.
Spoiler:
kellsbells wrote:¡This Chai is burning me!
Chai Kovsky wrote:I can kill you with my brain.

That is all.
superglucose wrote:In other words: LISTEN TO CHAI.
Delayra wrote:Yet another brilliant idea from Chai!

I <3 Pirate.Bondage!

sje46
Posts: 4730
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 4:41 am UTC
Location: New Hampshire

Re: Confessional Lead- Something weighing on your mind?

Postby sje46 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:11 am UTC

Chai Kovsky wrote:Also, if you have religious beliefs, that's just fine. Not everyone on these fora is an atheist and most are not jackasses either way about religion.
Yeah, it's just me. ;)
No, I don't care if you're religious, really, as long as you're an open-minded individual, you're cool.

It's awesome that you want to wait till marriage! DOn't feel like you have to though .. .
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.

User avatar
Chai Kovsky
Posts: 1652
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:36 pm UTC
Location: Californication

Re: Confessional Lead- Something weighing on your mind?

Postby Chai Kovsky » Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:20 am UTC

sje46 wrote:
Chai Kovsky wrote:Also, if you have religious beliefs, that's just fine. Not everyone on these fora is an atheist and most are not jackasses either way about religion.
Yeah, it's just me. ;)
No, I don't care if you're religious, really, as long as you're an open-minded individual, you're cool.
*Cough* Because we totally need sje's validation.

I'm not sure where to put this kind of statement, but the "open-minded" thing kind of bothers me. I mean, open-minded means "willing to change my mind," which, religiously, I'm not willing to do. I am TOLERANT and UNDERSTANDING of other faiths, but it's not like I'm going to consider converting, nor giving up faith altogether. "Open-minded" can (and I'm not saying it is in this particular instance) just be code for "religious liberal" or "willing to accept that tenets of their faith might be wrong." It's, umm, faith. It can't really be proven wrong (or right).

I'm a religious conservative and I'm still a thinking person. Just because large segments of that population AREN'T (same as with the non-religious, remember), doesn't mean I am less of a thinking person or that all religious conservatives are bad.
Spoiler:
kellsbells wrote:¡This Chai is burning me!
Chai Kovsky wrote:I can kill you with my brain.

That is all.
superglucose wrote:In other words: LISTEN TO CHAI.
Delayra wrote:Yet another brilliant idea from Chai!

I <3 Pirate.Bondage!

User avatar
nightlina
Posts: 1174
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:07 am UTC
Location: Probably at work... in Australia. Therefore I post while you sleep.

Re: Confessional Lead- Something weighing on your mind?

Postby nightlina » Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:25 am UTC

SilentSigil wrote:thanks for the positive tattoo comments :)

Ooooooooooooooooooooooo... *looks at the purty avatar and adds some positive comments of her own*

That's awesome :D
Image

sje46
Posts: 4730
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 4:41 am UTC
Location: New Hampshire

Re: Confessional Lead- Something weighing on your mind?

Postby sje46 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:50 am UTC

Chai Kovsky wrote:
sje46 wrote:
Chai Kovsky wrote:Also, if you have religious beliefs, that's just fine. Not everyone on these fora is an atheist and most are not jackasses either way about religion.
Yeah, it's just me. ;)
No, I don't care if you're religious, really, as long as you're an open-minded individual, you're cool.
*Cough* Because we totally need sje's validation.

I'm not sure where to put this kind of statement, but the "open-minded" thing kind of bothers me. I mean, open-minded means "willing to change my mind," which, religiously, I'm not willing to do. I am TOLERANT and UNDERSTANDING of other faiths, but it's not like I'm going to consider converting, nor giving up faith altogether. "Open-minded" can (and I'm not saying it is in this particular instance) just be code for "religious liberal" or "willing to accept that tenets of their faith might be wrong." It's, umm, faith. It can't really be proven wrong (or right).

I'm a religious conservative and I'm still a thinking person. Just because large segments of that population AREN'T (same as with the non-religious, remember), doesn't mean I am less of a thinking person or that all religious conservatives are bad.

This man puts it much more beautifully than I ever could. (Oh, and because this is April 1, I should probably mention this isn't a rickroll or any similar prank.)
You say you're not "willing to change your mind". . .well, of course not, because you believe it. You can't will what you believe. What you believe just happens . . . .what you can change is your willingless to let in new information which can change your beliefs.
If you are the type of religious person who--if valid evidence against your beliefs is presented--rejects it, for no or very bad reasons, you are closed-minded.

Do I think that you are less of a thinking person because you are a conservative jew? You're clearly smart .. . but I think that most religious people are necessarily a little closed-minded. You can not prove or disprove the existence of God, not that I know of, but you can show that his existence is not necessary for most things and well . ..
Do I think you're a bad person for being religious? Well, clearly you're nto a bad person. But your beliefs are very bad. Religion is very bad, to society, to the adherents. Do I tolerate different faiths? I tolerate the believers--most of which are in my opinion brainwashed--but I do not tolerate the beliefs. I hate religion, or any supernaturalism. I hate religion. I hate it. It's one of the few things in the world that makes me rage.
I won't treat religious people any differently though. Unless they are closed-minded.
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.

User avatar
Chai Kovsky
Posts: 1652
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:36 pm UTC
Location: Californication

Re: Confessional Lead- Something weighing on your mind?

Postby Chai Kovsky » Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:31 am UTC

Sje, here's the problem with your argument: by your definition, faith is something you cannot be closed-minded about because it's about things that cannot be proven. Thus, you cannot present "valid evidence" against such beliefs.

Sorry, if the religion thread gets unlocked with the rest of SB, I'll take any more of this there. I've been doing philosophy of religion during a lot of this semester, so I'm chock full of interesting arguments about the existence of God. Sparknotes is: modal logic is fun.
Spoiler:
kellsbells wrote:¡This Chai is burning me!
Chai Kovsky wrote:I can kill you with my brain.

That is all.
superglucose wrote:In other words: LISTEN TO CHAI.
Delayra wrote:Yet another brilliant idea from Chai!

I <3 Pirate.Bondage!

sje46
Posts: 4730
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 4:41 am UTC
Location: New Hampshire

Re: Confessional Lead- Something weighing on your mind?

Postby sje46 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:44 am UTC

Chai Kovsky wrote:Sje, here's the problem with your argument: by your definition, faith is something you cannot be closed-minded about because it's about things that cannot be proven. Thus, you cannot present "valid evidence" against such beliefs.

Sorry, if the religion thread gets unlocked with the rest of SB, I'll take any more of this there. I've been doing philosophy of religion during a lot of this semester, so I'm chock full of interesting arguments about the existence of God. Sparknotes is: modal logic is fun.

The existence of God and the afterlife and so on can't be, but the veracity of teh Bible and so on can. Also, it can be shown that, while some things are possible, they can be quite farfetched and not necessary to explain anything.
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.

User avatar
Chai Kovsky
Posts: 1652
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:36 pm UTC
Location: Californication

Re: Confessional Lead- Something weighing on your mind?

Postby Chai Kovsky » Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:46 am UTC

*Breathes* I. Am stopping. Now.

Fess (to get things back on topic): I should be writing my philosophy paper tonight, because I'm not sure I'll have time tomorrow. Guess what I'm not doing? Gah, why am I fucking my life into the ground?!
Spoiler:
kellsbells wrote:¡This Chai is burning me!
Chai Kovsky wrote:I can kill you with my brain.

That is all.
superglucose wrote:In other words: LISTEN TO CHAI.
Delayra wrote:Yet another brilliant idea from Chai!

I <3 Pirate.Bondage!

sje46
Posts: 4730
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 4:41 am UTC
Location: New Hampshire

Re: Confessional Lead- Something weighing on your mind?

Postby sje46 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:00 am UTC

Chai Kovsky wrote:*Breathes* I. Am stopping. Now.

Fess (to get things back on topic): I should be writing my philosophy paper tonight, because I'm not sure I'll have time tomorrow. Guess what I'm not doing? Gah, why am I fucking my life into the ground?!

Don't worry. I still love you :)

It's just frustrating when you percieve an evil or injustice in the world, and no one else--or only a small minority of people--agree with you. You get very upset, and you have to rant. For that reason I feel bad for moral vegetarians, even though I am a carnivore myself.
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.

User avatar
crickets
Posts: 785
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:57 am UTC
Location: Edmonton, AB
Contact:

Re: Confessional Lead- Something weighing on your mind?

Postby crickets » Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:34 am UTC

Please don't go. Never leave. I get through every day knowing that you'll be there and you love me, and you talk about dying far too much for me to be comfortable.

I know there's a good chance you will wind up alone, homeless, and starving, but that's why i'm here. I'm watching out for you. Don't forget that. Please.

*sigh*

I'm so scared. I don't know why i'm scared, but i'm scared. He can't leave me. He just can't.
SecondTalon wrote:Virtue may be it's own reward, but so are Skittles.

User avatar
nightlina
Posts: 1174
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:07 am UTC
Location: Probably at work... in Australia. Therefore I post while you sleep.

Re: Confessional Lead- Something weighing on your mind?

Postby nightlina » Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:13 am UTC

sje46 wrote:...Religion is very bad, to society, to the adherents. Do I tolerate different faiths? I tolerate the believers--most of which are in my opinion brainwashed--but I do not tolerate the beliefs. I hate religion, or any supernaturalism. I hate religion. I hate it. It's one of the few things in the world that makes me rage.
I won't treat religious people any differently though. Unless they are closed-minded.

Heh, Chai & sje - I was having fun reading your discussion, i'm glad it didn't turn into an argument, but it's something that I'm interested in. Maybe I should study philosophy...

I'm a kinda atheist/uncertain person, and while I understand how people can associate religion with brainwashing, I don't really think it is. The number of people I know who are so much more at peace and relaxed because of their religion makes me feel that we really can't condemn all religions at the drop of a hat. Most happy people I know have some sort of religion - maybe not your standard religion with a mass-following, but they have some sort of belief system that works for them. None of these people feel the need to 'force' their religion on others, and they're always happy to develop their religion and let it evolve to incorporate new ideas.

I think the main problem with a lot of current religions is that, while initially they were allowed to evolve, they seem to have reached a point where this evolution stopped. And today people feel that they have to follow antiquated rules that aren't necessarily applicable to modern life. This can lead to dissent and confusion, which in turn can lead to war. To me, these are the *bad* things - not the religion itself. I slightly blame the bible for this - writing it all down and putting it in a book means that the religion itself was restricted to its number of pages. Really it needs to be something much bigger that is constantly growing.

I think, also, that this is where the 'open' and 'close' minded question comes in. I refer to a person as being 'open minded religious' when they are willing to let their beliefs evolve with the world around them. A close minded person is someone who follows an antiquated set of rules without reading between the lines to understand the true meaning behind it all.

I don't think you have to 'change' your faith if you're open minded, rather you're willing to let it adapt and grow. I think the initial message will stay firm despite the evolutions that take place.

Fess.... it's time for me to go home :P
Image

User avatar
xndrew
Look on my hair, ye Mighty, and despair!
Posts: 1077
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:05 am UTC
Location: North East USA
Contact:

Re: Confessional Lead- Something weighing on your mind?

Postby xndrew » Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:22 am UTC

crickets wrote:Please don't go. Never leave. I get through every day knowing that you'll be there and you love me, and you talk about dying far too much for me to be comfortable.

I know there's a good chance you will wind up alone, homeless, and starving, but that's why i'm here. I'm watching out for you. Don't forget that. Please.

*sigh*

I'm so scared. I don't know why i'm scared, but i'm scared. He can't leave me. He just can't.

This sounds terrible. I hope it works out for you though. (Though, from what I've read from you before, I think you'd still be fine on your own.)

On my end, I think I'm having some sort of existential crisis. Existential crises are dumb.

User avatar
Luthen
Posts: 2021
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:42 am UTC
Location: Dealing with xkcdian immigration
Contact:

Re: Confessional Lead- Something weighing on your mind?

Postby Luthen » Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:54 am UTC

Fess: For a rational, scientific human being I spend too much time:
  • Pretending to be able to do minor acts of magic (telekinesis, technopathy, etc.)
  • Believing I have actually succeeded
  • Being superstitious of things I don't believe in

EDIOT: Failing to check my grammar.
Last edited by Luthen on Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:40 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
My fancy new blog Image I am not a vampire! Image PM my location for a prize!*

rnew: ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOAVATAR!
*Terms + conditions changeable

User avatar
Helios471
Posts: 397
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:00 am UTC
Location: Sydney

Re: Confessional Lead- Something weighing on your mind?

Postby Helios471 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:38 am UTC

Luthen wrote:Fess: For a rational, scientific human being I spend to much time:
  • Pretending to be able to do minor acts of magic (telekinesis, technopathy)
  • Believing I have actually succeeded
  • Being superstitious of things I don't believe in


Fes: I do this kind of thing sometimes too :oops:

User avatar
michaelandjimi
Isn't Even Playing
Posts: 2353
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:21 am UTC
Location: Citizen of the World
Contact:

Re: Confessional Lead- Something weighing on your mind?

Postby michaelandjimi » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:51 am UTC

Luthen wrote:Fess: For a rational, scientific human being I spend too much time:
  • Pretending to be able to do minor acts of magic (telekinesis, technopathy, etc.)
  • Believing I have actually succeeded
  • Being superstitious of things I don't believe in
I challenge you to find a single scientist who doesn't. I'm only learning science so that I can break it.
Whelan wrote:Relax, have a good time, and hope for the bees ;)


Return to “General”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 26 guests