Confessional Shed - I'll keep a look-out

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Re: Confessional Shed - I'll keep a look-out

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:06 pm UTC

Man, I pretty much spent almost all of my time in my head growing up. I still do it, sometimes. It's nice.

Who am I kidding, I still spend most of my time in my head. That may be why I don't feel the need to socialize much, especially now that I have internet. I talk to people all day long in my head, why would I need to talk to another in real meatspace?
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Fat Zombie

Postby Fat Zombie » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:16 pm UTC

See, I like the cut of your jib. You say a lot of familiar things there.

And it's only rarely that the loneliness of my life is exposed to the biting elements of sadness and regret, so that's nice.
...And before you ask: yes, I do like to listen to myself talk!

Esperite

Postby Esperite » Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:18 pm UTC

Spoiler:
Fat Zombie wrote:Okay. Erm. I spend a lot of my mental cpu time on imagining scenarios and situations, making my own films and television shows, my own entertainment. Daydreaming, basically. I've never met any other person who has said that they do this as well (or, at least, at the same frequency or density). I have recurring characters with distinct personalities. Most of my ideas for fiction or art are derived from it; when I draw something, it usually tends to be a way of 'stabilising' the mental image I have. If I want a conversation, I'll imagine it. Maybe this is why I don't place such a high priority on social relationships?

It's also made it difficult to integrate socially, at times. And it's indirectly depressed me at times, or contributed to my mental inertia and other such problems. But I don't think that I could ever get rid of it, or that I would even try. Is that sad?

Is it bad that if I met another person who did the same thing, I'd find them weird and try not to associate with them? Is it bad that I dislike the idea of knowing that someone I know (in a real-life sense) knows about this part of my mind? That the idea that they're thinking about the things I think about, slightly disgusts me?

This is pretty much me, except it isn't as debilitating socially for me as it seems like it is for you. But yeah, I daydream all the time, have several different plots going on, I tend to draw the characters I've been thinking about, and I daydream about how I want thing to work out. It is kind of depressing having all these awesome stories and not being able to share them or talk about them though; I don't even know how I would start, and I never have the motivation to write this stuff down in a book format.
"A thing is not necessarily true because a man dies for it."
— Oscar Wilde

I Am Raven

Postby I Am Raven » Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:08 pm UTC

Confession: Sometimes I put on Battlefield Bad Company 2 videos on, just for the war sounds. I'm terrible.
Ptolom wrote:penis

Philosophish

Re:

Postby Philosophish » Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:35 pm UTC

Narsil wrote:Um, I have a slight paranoia about the number 23.

See, my bus number is 23, my birthday is May 18 (5+18 ), the other day I saw a guy reading "Dante's Inferno" and the book had 23 written on it, every time I clock a a clock it's xx:23, I do calculations in my head every time I see a series of numbers to see if they make 23.....

try making 22. you'll find that just as awesome..

(implying that the theory about the number 23 has really no grounds and that you should knock it off. do it for you.)

Fat Zombie

Postby Fat Zombie » Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:16 pm UTC

I Am Raven wrote:Confession: Sometimes I put on Battlefield Bad Company 2 videos on, just for the war sounds. I'm terrible.

You know, I may not be the best person to advise you on this, but that sounds like a really good idea. I'm trying it right now, in fact.

SecondTalon/Esperite:

Sorry to take this further, but... do you sometimes listen to music to act as a soundtrack to whatever you're imagining, or start changing the daydream to reflect the music?

Esperite

Postby Esperite » Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:51 pm UTC

Fat Zombie wrote:Sorry to take this further, but... do you sometimes listen to music to act as a soundtrack to whatever you're imagining, or start changing the daydream to reflect the music?

Yes! I change around what's happening in my daydream based on the music I'm listening to, and I make up my own music whenever I'm not listening to anything.
— Oscar Wilde

GraphiteGirl
Alpha Male

Postby GraphiteGirl » Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:01 am UTC

Fat Zombie wrote:Sorry to take this further, but... do you sometimes listen to music to act as a soundtrack to whatever you're imagining, or start changing the daydream to reflect the music?

Oh hey, I do this, only in reverse. I listen to music and then make up little vignettes that match it, though they're often kind of cinematic as much as they are daydreamy - I'll switch on a song and then realise that if it were a film soundtrack it would be perfect for a scene in which [x obscure series of events] happens.
I'm listening to Glycerine by Bush right now, and, well, I think it would suit a scene about someone travelling through a city (walking along a footpath; travelling on a train) trying not to reminisce about someone they left approximately last month. They left them even though they loved them, because of some unovercomable personal problem the leavee had, possibly alcohol-related, and they're considering calling the leavee to see whether she (I think it's a she) has gone to an AA meeting, even though she never did before when she promised to.
Now Spiders by The Editors is playing, which means the traveler/leaver has reached their destination, their apartment. It's not going to be a great night for them.

My confession is that because most pop songs are seemingly about relationships, a lot of music is just presumed to be a love narrative in my mind even when it isn't at all as per the lyrics. My other confession is that parts of that vignette were probably influenced greatly by someone, a family friend, who was recently going through something similar. Usually my imagination tries for a little less blatant life-stealing than that. Step it up, grey matter!
Sandry wrote:Man, my commitment to sparkle motion is waaaaay lower than you are intimating.

Fat Zombie

Postby Fat Zombie » Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:42 am UTC

Interesting. I had assumed that there would be other mad people out there, I just didn't realise that there were quite so many.

(Anyway, I try to avoid daydreaming real life, usually.)

Esperite

Postby Esperite » Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:20 am UTC

I don't try to stop myself from daydreaming =P. I find it very fun. It helps when I'm bored =).
— Oscar Wilde

Fat Zombie

Postby Fat Zombie » Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:24 am UTC

I didn't say I stopped myself from daydreaming! I just said that I try not to source stuff from real life, I prefer to use fictional characters rather than real people. That sort of thing could get weird after a while.

DeathsHands

Postby DeathsHands » Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:34 am UTC

I'm black and nerdy.

It freaks people out every time.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:34 am UTC

Yes. And also the thing Graphite Girl does, wherein the song becomes a little story. Usually it's related.

But often it ends up on a strange tangent that has little to do with the song or what's going on around me.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Raeluna

Postby Raeluna » Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:33 am UTC

When I'm writing and picturing my OC's, half the time I can only picture them having sex/doing something that will lead to sex/flirting/running around stark naked.

...and its the kinky BDSM kind of stuff. My characters are sluts in my head.
thicknavyrain wrote:Marry me. Now.

"So, why are you a fruit bat?"
"I dunno, healthier I guess."
"Well yeah, but 'I vant to suck your melons' just doesn't have the same ring to it."

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:53 pm UTC

But are they advancing the plot?

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:05 pm UTC

And do they have flaws? Gotta have those flaws.

I lived almost totally in my head until college. I'm very lucky, if I hadn't met the people I did, not much else could have forced me out of the isolation. I still live in my head, but I'm more comfortable with people and relationships.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

Fat Zombie

Postby Fat Zombie » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:13 pm UTC

I don't think that mine has helped all that much. Frankly I often find having conversations in my mind is more enjoyable than talking to someone else. But if they're standing/sitting right there it can be difficult to concentrate fully on what I'm thinking, which annoys me.

Also, my tendency to imagine stuff based on music probably explains why the first album I got was from these guys.

Promicin

Postby Promicin » Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:30 pm UTC

Picked out new glasses yesterday. Confession: While they are comfortable, that's not why I picked them. Mostly I wanted them because they look like Harry Potter glasses. :oops:

emceng

Postby emceng » Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:56 pm UTC

I have found an inverse relationship between self pleasure and happiness. :(
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

Dave_Wise

Postby Dave_Wise » Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:59 pm UTC

You mean you've created a graze on your cock by masturbating too much? I did that once.
The future is always bright. Bombs generate quite substantial amounts of illumination
-a friend.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:25 pm UTC

I'm gonna be needing that belt sander back at some point, I'm afraid.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

Dave_Wise

Postby Dave_Wise » Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:30 pm UTC

On second reading, that's really not what he meant by self-pleasure, is it? :oops:
The future is always bright. Bombs generate quite substantial amounts of illumination
-a friend.

GraphiteGirl
Alpha Male

Postby GraphiteGirl » Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:32 pm UTC

Maybe boil that first.
Sandry wrote:Man, my commitment to sparkle motion is waaaaay lower than you are intimating.

emceng

Postby emceng » Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:43 pm UTC

Dave_Wise wrote:On second reading, that's really not what he meant by self-pleasure, is it? :oops:

Actually it was. In plain language, the more I masturbate the less happy I am. Or, when I am increasingly unhappy, I masturbate more. Take your pick.

Also - you can have your belt sander back, but I need to borrow a caulk gun.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

Dave_Wise

Postby Dave_Wise » Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:45 pm UTC

OK, cool, I understand now. Well, sort of.
-a friend.

e^iπ+1=0
Much, much better than Gooder

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:52 am UTC

1: If I spent as much time actually doing work as I do complaining about having no time, much of it would probably be done by now.

2: I feel like I can't fill out college applications both well and honestly. That is, if I filled out the applications honestly, no university would want me. Even simple questions. For instance, "What were the last few books you read outside of school?" I can't answer that honestly because I rarely read outside of school any more; I don't even know the actual answer to that. "What do you spend your free time doing?" Yes, I spend a little time doing the sorts of things you want me to do, but honestly I spend a large amount of time fucking around on the internet. Priorities generally go something like this: girlfriend, me time (including such things as fucking around on the internet), schoolwork, sleep, extracurricular bull shit. Colleges don't like that.

So it's a choice between lying and not getting in, and so I'm pretty much forced to lie. I have an interview this Friday and so between now and then I'm going to have to try and make up BS and try to get involved in things so that at least I can say "Well, I haven't done that much in the past, but I'm currently involved in a, b, c, d, e, and f." But then they will just be all "Uh huh, well that's nice, but we have someone here who got perfect scores on everything and did 10000 hours of community service and plays 17 sports and proved P=NP and found a cure for cancer. So, you know, you didn't make the cut."

You know what, fuck college. I'll just be a hobo. Or do they have applications for that now too?
poxic wrote:You, sir, have heroic hair.
poxic wrote:I note that the hair is not slowing down. It appears to have progressed from heroic to rocking.

(Avatar by Sungura)

Fat Zombie

Postby Fat Zombie » Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:07 pm UTC

Hey. Don't be so sure about that. I mean, I think that the UK probably does things differently, but I managed to get in to university and I didn't do much, or even get very good grades. I think I got in because in the interview, I showed that I had a real interest in the subject (I read books about theoretical physics, science journals, etc. outside of college).

Then again, I did fail after the first year. But if, unlike me, you're willing to put in the time to study then you'll probably do alright.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:39 pm UTC

Don't lie outright, but don't sell yourself short either. Generally, they're looking for "voice." Be yourself. If you don't have much stuff to list, say something funny or ironic to explain why. At worst, you'll get noticed out of the monotonous pile of applications each official has to deal with.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

Fat Zombie

Postby Fat Zombie » Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:52 pm UTC

podbaydoor wrote:Don't lie outright, but don't sell yourself short either. Generally, they're looking for "voice." Be yourself. If you don't have much stuff to list, say something funny or ironic to explain why. At worst, you'll get noticed out of the monotonous pile of applications each official has to deal with.

DISCLAIMER: The Be Yourself rule only applies if you are not a twat (or you are, but you wish accomplish something you wouldn't be able to as a twat). If you are socially incapable or a bastard, Be Somebody More Nice.

saxmaniac1987
Can't spell sex

Postby saxmaniac1987 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:00 pm UTC

Fess: I've been in a super pissy mood for the past few days. Work is a waste of my fucking time (I can elaborate if you wish), I can't stand living at home, and I'm stuck in the biggest rut of my life musically. Even good opportunities that do come up just seem like such a hassle--I really don't want to drive an hour and a half for a rehearsal. And none of this even covers the social aspect of my life...
"A witty saying proves nothing" - Voltaire

Dason

Postby Dason » Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:12 pm UTC

saxmaniac1987 wrote:Work is a waste of my fucking time (I can elaborate if you wish)

But then I'll only have two wishes left! F' it, let's hear about it.

I don't know if it makes you feel any better but a while ago you posted about going to a Lady Gaga concert and that helped me get out of a musical slump. I decided I was going to learn Bad Romance. I never really got around to completely learning it cause I got sidetracked and finished writing a song I'd been hitting a wall on for a while. Not sure if that helps but I never got around to saying thanks. So thank you!
double epsilon = -.0000001;

Okita
Staying Alive

Postby Okita » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:32 pm UTC

I am sitting at the office late waiting for one of my co-workers to come back with a friend so that we can all go out drinking. Except that I don't really want to go out. I'd rather just go home and play FF XIII or Civ or maybe code some stuff. But we rarely go out, I don't drink at home, and it is a "bonding" experience.

So... here I wait.
"I may or may not be a raptor. There is no way of knowing until entering a box that I happen to be in and then letting me sunder the delicious human flesh from your body in reptile fury."

Sandry
My cheese is pants?

Postby Sandry » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:45 pm UTC

Okita wrote:I am sitting at the office late waiting for one of my co-workers to come back with a friend so that we can all go out drinking. Except that I don't really want to go out. I'd rather just go home and play FF XIII or Civ or maybe code some stuff. But we rarely go out, I don't drink at home, and it is a "bonding" experience.

So... here I wait.

I've had this sequence of thoughts so often.

Confession: I really wish I could find more than three friends who specifically don't drink. Many of my friends are pretty good about not making "I want to have a good time"=="I want to get drunk," but it's not quite the same.

I do drink, somewhat (what I drink in a year is likely what many folks my age drink in a week, but still - it's some), it's just that I don't particularly enjoy it, and my hearing is so bad that when everyone else is drinking, it all just becomes this big indecipherable ball of noise that drives me crazy.
He does not spout ever more, new stupidities. He "diversifies his wrongness portfolio."
(My pronouns are She/Her/Hers)

NecklaceOfShadow

Postby NecklaceOfShadow » Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:49 pm UTC

Confession: I was originally going to post something else but then I realized I was too scared to do it.
Significantly less weird than I used to be. Still pretty weird.

οὗτός ἐστιν Ἀγαμέμνων, ἐμὸς
πόσις, νεκρὸς δὲ τῆσδε δεξιᾶς χερός
ἔργον δικαίας τέκτονος. τάδ’ ὧδ’ ἔχει.

DecemberSoul

Postby DecemberSoul » Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:36 pm UTC

My parents are coming to visit tomorrow and they're taking me to church :roll: Also my dad has just added me on facebook (have ignored so far). If they find out I'm an atheist they will think I'm going to hell and be sad. :(

Chai Kovsky

Postby Chai Kovsky » Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:34 am UTC

My mom offered to pay for me to throw a mad party for my friends for my birthday. I have absolutely no interest. I feel like the least sociable person on the planet. :(
Spoiler:
kellsbells wrote:¡This Chai is burning me!
Chai Kovsky wrote:I can kill you with my brain.

That is all.
superglucose wrote:In other words: LISTEN TO CHAI.
Delayra wrote:Yet another brilliant idea from Chai!

I <3 Pirate.Bondage!

Fat Zombie

Postby Fat Zombie » Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:30 pm UTC

Don't worry, you're probably not the least sociable person. That would be the person who did the same thing as you, but then didn't post it on a forum.

You probably just don't like parties, is all. Sometimes I can't be bothered to even look at people, sometimes I can be quite gregarious.

smw543

Postby smw543 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:23 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Man, I pretty much spent almost all of my time in my head growing up. I still do it, sometimes. It's nice.

"Ooh, it's so roomy in here!"[/obligatory(?)]

But yes, I do the "creative nonfiction" equivalent. Virtually every interaction gets played out in my head before it happens. Sometimes it's a realistic prediction, other times it's pessimistic nonsense, but occasionally, it'll branch off into a more-or-less plausible story. It's almost impossible for me to not do it (yay psychopathology), but I've managed to increase the frequency of the first and third outcomes.

EDIT: Also, I enjoy this song/video entirely too much.
Spoiler:
LE4dGOLEM wrote:Now you know the difference between funny and sad.
Ubik wrote:But I'm too fond of the penis to let it go.
gmalivuk wrote:If you didn't want people to 'mis'understand you, then you probably should have tried saying something less stupid.

Nemphael

Postby Nemphael » Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:17 pm UTC

I feel like going AWOL for a week...

Daojia
Location: A vast, desolate and uninhabitable island north of Tasmania

Postby Daojia » Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:36 pm UTC

Nemphael wrote:I feel like going AWOL for a week...

Ooh, likewise. I was thinking Sydney? Legging it for the hills sounds like tremendous fun right now.
Sapere aude.

Return to “General”