Confessional Shed - I'll keep a look-out

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Cathy

Re: Confessional Shed - I'll keep a look-out

Postby Cathy » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:00 am UTC

this belongs in lsr confessions, moved!
Amie wrote:Cathy, I now declare you to be an awesome person, by the powers vested in me by nobody, really.
yurell wrote:We need fewer homoeopaths, that way they'll be more potent!

emceng

Postby emceng » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:15 pm UTC

My mental well being is far too dependent on factors outside my control.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

eligitine

Postby eligitine » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:18 pm UTC

I troll people on mush clients without ever knowing why I do it.
I edit an unreasonable amount of times.

I Am Raven

Postby I Am Raven » Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:57 pm UTC

emceng wrote:My mental well being is far too dependent on factors outside my control.

I think this applies to most people.

Black Dynamite wrote:I confess I don't think Raven is a dick. :|

Thanks. (:

Zarq wrote:... Raven, could you post the exact Dutch sentence?

Context: our conversations somehow always get interrupted, and I joked "Do you think we'll ever finish a conversation?", to which she replied:
"Die gesprekken komen er ongetwijfeld, je hebt geen idee hoe nieuwsgierig ik ben haha." (Roughly translates to: "Those conversations will take place no doubt, you have no idea how curious I am haha.")

Zarq wrote:Which doesn't really answer that much. Is she flirting because she's interested, or because she likes flirting? ...

Precisely my consideration.
Ptolom wrote:penis

Evengeduld

Postby Evengeduld » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:21 am UTC

I Am Raven wrote:Context: our conversations somehow always get interrupted, and I joked "Do you think we'll ever finish a conversation?", to which she replied:
"Die gesprekken komen er ongetwijfeld, je hebt geen idee hoe nieuwsgierig ik ben haha." (Roughly translates to: "Those conversations will take place no doubt, you have no idea how curious I am haha.")

Zarq wrote:Which doesn't really answer that much. Is she flirting because she's interested, or because she likes flirting? ...

Precisely my consideration.

Looks like you will only find out when you actually manage to finish the conversation.
~If one dream should fall and break into a thousand pieces, never be afraid to pick one of those pieces up and begin again.~

cjmcjmcjmcjm wrote:Why study physical chemistry when you can study ethanol metabolism through practical methods?

HTML Mencken

Postby HTML Mencken » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:20 am UTC

Confession: I hate dealing with parents. Absolutely hate it.

When I was teaching, it wasn't so bad...but when it comes to boarding....well, I can understand being concerned about your child, and wanting to know about their well-being. Really, I do, and I will try to accomodate those concerns to the best of my ability. However. And this is an important however. Our staff and promotional material make it very clear that our students have 10pm weekday curfews and that up until that time, they can go where they please. It makes clear that what we are offering is a universty-style living experience, with on-site support, but with ultimate responsibility residing with the student.

This means I cannot give you records of everywhere your child has been for the past three months. This means I do not monitor who they are friends with outside of the dormitory (in fact, I have never even been to the school where they go for classes). If you have given your child permission to stay out past curfew, then no, I am not going to stay up until they return to call you and let you know they are back, I am going to go to bed. I am not going to excuse his absences because "he felt too tired to go into school today" and I am most certainly not going to arrange private transport for them to get to college. They can take the bus, like everyone else. You cannot refer to your child as "very mature and responsible in an email" and then castigate the staff for not being able to treat him for an illness neither you or him reported, and that he did not bring medication over for.

And if your student is privately renting accomodation from here, then I'm sorry, but he's not my responsibility and no, I am not going to wake him up at 7am every morning. And I'd very much appreciate it if you deleted this phone number, after telling me who you got it from.

Some days, I really feel like emailing parents links to 24/7 nannying services, and tell them this may be more what they are looking for. And this urge is almost overcoming my desire to keep my job, today in particular.

firechicago
Location: One time, I put a snowglobe in the microwave and pushed "Hot Dog"

Postby firechicago » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:00 pm UTC

HTML Mencken wrote:Some days, I really feel like emailing parents links to 24/7 nannying services, and tell them this may be more what they are looking for. And this urge is almost overcoming my desire to keep my job, today in particular.

My fiancée spent a summer in college helping compile the university directory, and they used to get calls all the time from people who thought that the directory office was directory assistance. She still tells the story about the woman who called and said "Well you're a student, maybe you can help me out, my son is an incoming freshman, and I need to find a laundry service that will pick up my son's dirty clothes from his dormroom and deliver his clean ones."

She carefully explained that all of the dorms were equipped with laundry rooms, and that college is a wonderful time to learn important life skills like how to do your own laundry, but apparently this was not acceptable and the woman hung up in a huff.

HTML Mencken

Postby HTML Mencken » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:04 pm UTC

Oh dear. Yes, that does seem to be on a level with some of the calls and emails I am getting. That is one that has not come up so far, mainly because we do provide such a service. :(

I Am Raven

Postby I Am Raven » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:39 pm UTC

HTML Mencken wrote:<Parents etcetera>

Wanna rant pant about it?
HTML Mencken wrote:Some days, I really feel like emailing parents links to 24/7 nannying services, and tell them this may be more what they are looking for. And this urge is almost overcoming my desire to keep my job, today in particular.

I can imagine!

*hugs* by the way. :)

Evengeduld wrote:Looks like you will only find out when you actually manage to finish the conversation.

I Am Raven wrote:Do I seem like a nice person she would like to hang out with, or does is she expressing romantic interest towards me (even though she is in a relationship)? I'm going to rule the second one out for now, because that complicates shit, and could lead to unnecessary awkwardness if that is not the case.

Glad you agree. :)

HTML Mencken

Postby HTML Mencken » Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:50 pm UTC

I Am Raven wrote:
HTML Mencken wrote:<Parents etcetera>

Wanna rant pant about it?

Aha! I thought there had to be a thread along those lines somewhere. Thanks!

e^iπ+1=0
Much, much better than Gooder

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:10 pm UTC

Things that aren't fun: realizing you were a bit of an ass recently.
poxic wrote:You, sir, have heroic hair.
poxic wrote:I note that the hair is not slowing down. It appears to have progressed from heroic to rocking.

(Avatar by Sungura)

Cathy

Postby Cathy » Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:21 am UTC

Several people around me are going through divorces and I am really curious as to why they are going through with the divorce. My family never actually broke up and had some really miserable years because of it.

I can't ask them though because I don't want to stab the bright pointy lights into things they don't volunteer.

But I'm so very curious.
Amie wrote:Cathy, I now declare you to be an awesome person, by the powers vested in me by nobody, really.

Choboman

Postby Choboman » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:58 pm UTC

e^iπ+1=0 wrote:Things that aren't fun: realizing you were a bit of an ass recently.

I think most of us a a bit of an ass in one way or another on a regular basis. The fact that you're more self-aware and can call yourself out on it puts you ahead of pack.

e^iπ+1=0

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:24 pm UTC

Eh, not so much; it was essentially pointed out to me. But we have discussed things and now everything's alright. Communication: sometimes it's actually pretty good and stuff.
poxic wrote:I note that the hair is not slowing down. It appears to have progressed from heroic to rocking.

(Avatar by Sungura)

Cathy

Postby Cathy » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:43 pm UTC

e^iπ+1=0 wrote:Communication: sometimes it''s actually pretty good and stuff IT WORKS BITCHES!.

Fixed <3

e^iπ+1=0

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:45 am UTC

Yus, that too. :)

(Avatar by Sungura)

I Am Raven

Postby I Am Raven » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:20 pm UTC

I Am Raven wrote:<Things about my current crush, who I might be falling in love with, I dunno...>

She just said she was "really unavailable right now" and there was no doubt whatsoever about what she meant, or vague context or anything. She's got a boyfriend. And she's really unavailable. And she is not romantically interested in me in any way.
Spoiler:

Yeah, it kinda felt like that. :(

Amie

Postby Amie » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:13 am UTC

Wow that sucks :( I'm so sorry. Maybe in the future if she ever becomes available and if you and her are in the right place at the right time, you can pick it up. Rejection is a bitch. Here, have a song, maybe it will help. For best results, consume with cold beer :/
Summer is miles and miles away, and no one would ask me to stay.
And I, should contemplate this change... to ease the pain.
And I, should step out of the rain... turn away.

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:34 am UTC

Amie wrote: Maybe in the future if she ever becomes available and if you and her are in the right place at the right time, you can pick it up.

I would much rather suggest moving on.

Amie

Postby Amie » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:48 am UTC

I would too but he thinks he's in "love" so all I said was *maybe* if they both found each other again and if the time is right, they can have something. Moving on is the obvious alternative to rejection, of course.

I Am Raven

Postby I Am Raven » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:35 pm UTC

Amie wrote:song

Ahhh, Orange Goblin. Yes. Thank you. :)
Amie wrote:...he thinks he's in "love"...

Hehehehe... Are you doubting my in love-ness?! I do too. I mean, I've only known her for a couple of weeks, but I have only ever once felt like this about a girl before. Slightly confused on my part.
Menacing Spike wrote:I would much rather suggest moving on.

Naturally it is the best thing to do in this kind of situation. I just hate to do it! And like I said, she's... special. I might be attracted to, and interested in her more than I ever was to/in a girl. So far it's not getting me down, but maybe it will if I get too attached to her. Which I want to. But I can't because it might make me sad. Argh!

Déjà vu!

Sorry. But yeah... I'll try not to be to active on my part. I haven't spoken to a couple of friends in a while, and someone I know from Australia who I really haven't talked to in a long while just came to Amsterdam, so I guess now is the perfect time to hang out and distract myself.
I'm having contact with her, though. On a daily basis. We talk about what happened today, and it's all good fun. I'm sort of giving her tips on this essay she is writing about how the brain biologically responds to music, and showing her sources. It's quite interesting! But should I cut that off, for my own protection? Or should I just leave it like this, because those brief interactions are the highpoints of my day right now. I guess I'll just leave it like this, because after all, I am sane of mind, and I am the only one that can see inside my head, So I will make my own decisions.
Gee, writing that cleared my head somewhat! I hope that reading it hasn't fogged yours.
(Thanks for responding! The song was nice, the moving on bit was a confirmation of what I suspected myself, and it made me write this, which cleared my head. Cheers!)

fizzgig

Postby fizzgig » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:39 am UTC

There was a girl crying on the bus today and I didn't do anything. She seemed to be distressed from being crowded and I just didn't know what to do or say, so I did nothing.

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:41 am UTC

When I was younger I was often harassed by bands of youths (being Different and all). At times I had to defend myself; using my knees, my elbows, the ground, or my aggressors themselves as weapons. (why do people punch against multiple opponents in comics and movies? Punching freakin hurts, I can't imagine doing that many times in a row)

And now I sorta miss problems that could be solved by inflicting pain until they go away. It was so... simple. Natural.

I Am Raven

Postby I Am Raven » Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:43 pm UTC

Menacing Spike wrote:When I was younger I was often harassed by bands of youths (being Different and all). At times I had to defend myself; using my knees, my elbows, the ground, or my aggressors themselves as weapons. (why do people punch against multiple opponents in comics and movies? Punching freakin hurts, I can't imagine doing that many times in a row)

And now I sorta miss problems that could be solved by inflicting pain until they go away. It was so... simple. Natural.

Wow... I can't imagine what that's like. Hugs?

Amie

Postby Amie » Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:36 am UTC

Aw, Menacing Spike. Any gym nearby where you can use punching bags? It really helps. I know this first hand and I realise how lame it sounds when I say it like that on the boards but yeah. Either way, I'm sorry that you're dealing with so much pain. Hugs if you want them.

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:05 pm UTC

Amie wrote:Aw, Menacing Spike. Any gym nearby where you can use punching bags? It really helps.

Punching bags do help relieve frustration (I have one) but not the "problems cannot be solved by beating them up" issue.

onjenae

Postby onjenae » Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:56 am UTC

Im a sexacholic usually i have sex at least 7 times every 4 days cant get enough of it

Amie

Postby Amie » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:17 am UTC

Wheels of Fire by Judas Priest is my favourite cardio song. Always has been. I'm a terrible person, I know.

Black Dynamite

Postby Black Dynamite » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:57 am UTC

I confess I'm a jerk in the real world, but very timid online. :?
Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!
(She, her, hers)

I Am Raven

Postby I Am Raven » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:56 am UTC

Amie wrote:I'm a terrible person, I know.

Why? It's a bad ass-song!

Dobblesworth
Dobblesworth, here's the title you requested over three years ago. -Banana

Postby Dobblesworth » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:39 pm UTC

Since I want to get this off my chest somewhere where I'm not going to be "downvoted into oblivion", I'll do it here if that's kay?
- I don't care for Minecraft and don't view this Notch fellow as an idol. Maybe I like my graphics engines more 'realistic', 'cos I'm fine sandboxing in Garry's Mod.
- I find some of the stuff TotalBiscuit gets up to these days irritating - such thoughts of mine could be expressed as "The Internet is not a Monarchy" [he's perenially running in 'King of the Web' to raise money for third world charity harvesting votes from twitter/youtube subs]. And maybe I liked him more when it was an internet radio station lambasting WoW on a friday evening with an IRC channel, not a youtube of video game demos and starcraft 2 commentary.
- I don't approve of emulators. Just play your Pokemon Silver on a GB and take a screenshot with a regular camera.

TimelordSimone

Postby TimelordSimone » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:17 pm UTC

Dobblesworth wrote:- I don't approve of emulators. Just play your Pokemon Silver on a GB and take a screenshot with a regular camera.

On that specific example, I think after something like seven years the internal battery dies and you can't save any more. It's possible you were making a larger point, though. :P
I mostly lurk. Hello.

Amie

Postby Amie » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:54 pm UTC

I Am Raven wrote:Why? It's a bad ass-song!

YES!! Some people take offense that I've "relegated" it to a cardio workout song but I don't look at it that way :(

I Am Raven

Postby I Am Raven » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:38 am UTC

Confession: I kissed a dude the other day.
I was using laughing gas, and I sorta went to limbo, I can't explain. Anyway, when I got back, after what felt to me like hours (which was only a couple of seconds), I was so incredibly happy I just hugged the first person I saw. And then I wanted to celebrate life, so I (think I) said: "I love life." and then we made for a couple of seconds.
It's been sort of bothering me, because I've always been sure about my orientation, and still am, but this just sort of makes my mind think about things again. "Maybe you've been repressing it." "Maybe you bi-sexual!" And when I ask myself if I could be sexually attracted to another man, I know the answer: no. I could never love a man romantically, I just know it. But I still kissed a dude! I'll probably laugh about this in a couple of weeks, but right now, it's kind of bothering. Good thing I have to go to work to keep my mind off of things.

Amie

Postby Amie » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:14 am UTC

First of all, mmm hot :P

Second, it's okay. I felt this way too after I kissed a girl and then I realized that nobody is ever fully gay or straight and also that certain situations make us feel and do things that we usually don't. This stuff isn't etched in stone. I hope you'll be fine sooner rather than later.

Fess: I hadn't read anything by Shakespeare until I was 20. Sigh.

OBrien

Postby OBrien » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:34 am UTC

I went through a similar phase in my life and I found a few things useful to bare in mind:

1: If you have no problem with gay and bisexual people, it shouldn't matter to you if you are one. Your uncomfortable feeling is probably coming from self doubt. The best way for me to get over this was, instead of asserting to myself "I am this, I am not that" I told myself "I think I am this, I think I am not that but I may be wrong. No matter what I am, though, myself, my friends and my family won't think any differently of me."

2: If you find you still need an anchor point to give yourself a comforting bit of familiarity, think about your masturbation habits: With me it was comforting to know that, since I do definitely find women attractive, my previous relationships weren't lies whether or not I'm attracted to men as well. Besides, like Aime said, these things aren't set in stone.

3: Drugs man. Even the prescription ones do weird things to you.

As a side note, laughing gas is awesome.

Confession: I started smoking a while ago and am too embarrassed to tell my parents.
Spelling and grammar can go screw themselves.

I Am Raven

Postby I Am Raven » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:46 am UTC

Thanks guys. :)
OBrien wrote:3: Drugs man.

Yes, but this has never happened to me before.

Hm, I guess in short I'm sort of... letting it go now. I told my mom yesterday, and she just had to laugh about it all. In a cool way though. So we laughed a bit. (She got worried at the "limbo" part though, but that's beside the point.)
I think I'm definitely not gay, and that what happened tuesday was just some weird shit.
For the record: being gay would definitely be no problem for me, my friends, and family at all, it's just that I'm pretty sure I'm not.

Thanks again!

OBrien wrote:Confession: I started smoking a while ago and am too embarrassed to tell my parents.

Do you feel the need to tell them? I had been smoking for about a year before I told my parents. At first they were all "You don't need that." and "Don't start this." They still don't like the idea of me smoking, and they'd rather not see me do it, and I understand and respect that. My point is, do you want to tell them? And if you don't, do you think you should, and why? Maybe you don't have to tell them for now.
Last edited by I Am Raven on Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:20 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Amie

Postby Amie » Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:15 am UTC

My 'rents don't know about my smoking but that's more out of the fear of the doomsday apocalypse happening due to my mother's wrath of hell rather than embarrassment.

Fess: The bassist of this band called Them Clones passed away a few hours ago and I feel very strange about it. I don't know how many times I have seen them play and how many times I've smiled at the guy from the front row and how many times he's smiled back. Even though I don't listen to their music all the time, it's still hit me in a weird way. How strange death is. Even when it happens to hundreds of people every second, I'm still not unaffected by it.

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:07 am UTC

OBrien wrote:No matter what I am, though, myself, my friends and my family won't think any differently of me.

That's just avoiding reality. A gay friend was scared of coming out to me because that pushed away so many before.

Since I always went relationshipless, my mother seemed to wonder if I was on that side of the fence. Given by how often the assured me that it would be totally okay for her if I was gay, it obviously was not.

I could go on like this for long.

OBrien

Postby OBrien » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:43 am UTC

I Am Raven wrote:
OBrien wrote:Confession: I started smoking a while ago and am too embarrassed to tell my parents.

Do you feel the need to tell them? I had been smoking for about a year before I told my parents. At first they were all "You don't need that." and "Don't start this." They still don't like the idea of me smoking, and they'd rather not see me do it, and I understand and respect that. My point is, do you want to tell them? And if you don't, do you think you should, and why? Maybe you don't have to tell them for now.

I dunno. I know it's not that big a deal but I guess I just don't wan't to disappoint them.

Menacing Spike wrote:
OBrien wrote:No matter what I am, though, myself, my friends and my family won't think any differently of me.

That's just avoiding reality. A gay friend was scared of coming out to me because that pushed away so many before.

Well, I did say these were the things that helped me feel better. I know for certain that my family wouldn't care one way or the other and in my friendship group anyone pushing someone away for being gay will find themselves pushed away from the rest of us for being homophobic.
Spelling and grammar can go screw themselves.

Return to “General”