Confessional Shed - I'll keep a look-out

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

TiberiusM

Re: Confessional Thread

Postby TiberiusM » Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:48 pm UTC

Confession: I've had mild bouts of depression since middle school. The only way I get through it is to ignore them. A big 'F*ck you' to my emotional state.

TigerX
its the squiggles dude!

Postby TigerX » Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:27 pm UTC

mellow_geek wrote:Confession: I feel like depression is slowly taking over again and that I'm slipping pretty quickly. And I'm not sure I can manage it.

Caffeine, Chocolate, and whatever activity makes you forget about the world for a short while (Movies for me). :-)

ThorFluff
Ursus Onanis

Postby ThorFluff » Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:25 pm UTC

Roleplaying games! Escape reality!

EDIT:
in 5 post this thread will hit 8888 posts... damn.
EsotericWombat wrote:You're... calling the Rolling Stones emo.

It might take a while to gather the lynch mob. no one really planned against this eventuality.

krynd wrote:That'd make an awesome sig. Unfortunately, I'm sure self-sigging isn't allowed...

yellie

Postby yellie » Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:13 pm UTC

mellow_geek wrote:Confession: I feel like depression is slowly taking over again and that I'm slipping pretty quickly. And I'm not sure I can manage it.

D:

I agree with TigerX -- try to take your mind off of whatever is making you feel so awful.

LIKE HALO 3! It's awesome for distraction. Trust me.

TiberiusM

Postby TiberiusM » Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:23 pm UTC

yellie wrote:

D:

I agree with TigerX -- try to take your mind off of whatever is making you feel so awful.

LIKE HALO 3! It's awesome for distraction. Trust me.

Do not trust her. This video game will only make you more depressed. Its done that to me, as I suck terribly at it, yet cannot leave it be. I must get more achievements!

rxninja

Postby rxninja » Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:39 pm UTC

Confession: While the forums weren't working with Firefox, I got so bored that I cleaned almost my entire apartment voluntarily. I didn't think to try IE, because IE hurts my soul.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:I miss a lot of people, too. Fortunately, ammo is cheap.

sophyturtle wrote:I think nudity is the solution for everything...

Rilian

Postby Rilian » Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:54 pm UTC

rxninja wrote:Confession: While the forums weren't working with Firefox, I got so bored that I cleaned almost my entire apartment voluntarily. I didn't think to try IE, because IE hurts my soul.

firefox makes me angry. It makes me other things that I don't know how to express.
And I'm -2.

KicktheCAN
v "This used to be my penis!"

Postby KicktheCAN » Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:05 pm UTC

rxninja wrote:Confession: While the forums weren't working with Firefox, I got so bored that I cleaned almost my entire apartment voluntarily. I didn't think to try IE, because IE hurts my sould.

Weird, it works fine for me. Do you have the latest version and if so what addons do you have?
Last edited by KicktheCAN on Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:30 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
pollywog is awesome, that is all.
Addendum: Sethicus is also cool to the maximum.

Akira: i prefer monster black-man cocks.
Hoags: It's getting all 2vreks1CAN in here

Sorcyress

Postby Sorcyress » Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:08 pm UTC

williamager wrote: It's far more than just Snakes on a Plane, a film which seems to matter solely in popular culture.

Hey now, Snakes on a Plane was awesome!

Confession: I went to see Snakes on a Plane at a special premire the day before it came out. And I chanted along with The Line. And I loved pretty much every second of the whole movie.

Confession: My taste in movies is terrible!

~Sor
MOOP!

ThorFluff
Ursus Onanis

Postby ThorFluff » Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:11 pm UTC

KTK's post was the 8888th one!
Confession:
I have a friend across msn drinking her skull off due to sorrow, she's alone and I just wish she'd take me up on my offer to keep her company.
EsotericWombat wrote:You're... calling the Rolling Stones emo.

It might take a while to gather the lynch mob. no one really planned against this eventuality.

krynd wrote:That'd make an awesome sig. Unfortunately, I'm sure self-sigging isn't allowed...

Shizo

Postby Shizo » Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:27 pm UTC

Confession: The town where I reside has a loose connection to xkcd.

Rummy

Re:

Postby Rummy » Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:30 pm UTC

Dark Ragnarok wrote:
bookishbunny wrote:
Dark Ragnarok wrote:
That makes entirely no sense to me. Feelings never leave. So I'm goign to assume you mean you haven't accepted the loss yet. Because it's ridiculous to think you can lose those feelings forever. They're always there. But i think you do mean you haven't accepted the loss.

Who are you talking to and what are you talking about? I totally understand how Rummy feels. I've been there. Several times. And sometimes, once you realize that person wasn't your soulmate, those feelings do go away. At least they do for me. I realize, of course, everybody's heart is built differently.

Er sorry for double posting, but i saw your post and i meant to more directly quote Rummy. And what i mean is, i understand his disposition, that standing makes sense to me, BUT the idea of feelings having to be entirely gone to continue makes no sense. I'm arguing what he's implying. I think if you haven't "got over" (lack of a better word) them then yes, Rummy makes perfect sense. But i don;t think you can ever forget/lose (one of those 2) those feelings permanently

background: We dated for two years, she was in school in a certain city, I was here in Massamachusetts which is her homeland. She graduated. I own a house here, have a great job, both of our families are here. I coaxed her into moving in for a month after her graduation because she still didn't have permanent plans to move back here. At the end of the month she was going to head back to the city whose name I do not speak. I took it as rejection and we broke up. That was over a year ago. We had since remained friends, almost exclusively online or via telephone machine. Over labor day weekend we hung out with her family in Maine. Nothing of note happened, it was just awesome to see her. When I finally had to leave it was really painful. If I was convinced she was my soulmate I'd move, but I'm not. I think we got cut off too soon though, and I'll always wonder.

The girl I'm dating is ready to make it not so casual, so I think I'll spill the beans soon and save the two of us a lot of trouble.

Likpok

Postby Likpok » Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:36 pm UTC

also, yes, they were silver slippers, as The Wizard of Oz was written as a parable on populism in the late 19th early 20th century when farmers were pushing for a gold and silver standard for the American dollar

Actually... L. Frank Baum hated populism.
The Wizard of Oz can be interpreted as a parable on populism. But, you can interpret things a lot of ways. It was not written as such.

"Littlefield's political interpretation of The Wizard is belied by Baum's known political views. Far from supporting the Populist Party, Baum opposed it as detracting from the strenght of the Republican Party, which he supported editorially in his newspaper and by his votes throughout his life, so far as is known; he opposed free silver as editor of the Pioneer and published pro-McKinley, pr-Gold Standard verses in the Times-Herald in 1896..." (Katharine M. Rogers, L. Frank Baum - A Biography, page 265).

(quote stolen from the wikipedia talk page)
There's an art to cooking toast
Never try to guess
Cook it till it's smoking
Then twenty seconds less.

KicktheCAN

Postby KicktheCAN » Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:14 am UTC

Confession: I just spent seventeen minutes picking at my toenail. I did not even realize until I came back to my AIM conversation with Grlmm.

Edit: More Confession: I almost left the fora because of the change to PHBB3.
Last edited by KicktheCAN on Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:37 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

mjec

Postby mjec » Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:21 am UTC

KicktheCAN wrote:Confession: I just spent seventeen minutes picking at my toenail. I did not even realize until I came back to my AIM conversation with Grlmm.

You leave your IM conversations to pick your toenails?
For context: early-20s male born and living in Australia of UK [Norman]/USA [Western European Jewish] heritage. My blog.

My avatar isn't me, it's "Law Girl". I even did an xkcd ripoff about it one time. She's kind of like my version of nerd girl.

une see
Is my girl

Postby une see » Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:29 am UTC

mjec wrote:
KicktheCAN wrote:Confession: I just spent seventeen minutes picking at my toenail. I did not even realize until I came back to my AIM conversation with Grlmm.

You don't?
T.S. Eliot in "The Waste Land" wrote:APRIL is the cruellest month, breeding
Lilacs out of the dead land, mixing
Memory and desire, stirring
Dull roots with spring rain.

KicktheCAN

Postby KicktheCAN » Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:38 am UTC

mjec wrote:

I will interrupt just about anything to pick my nails. It is like a sickness.

mjec

Postby mjec » Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:04 am UTC

une see wrote:
mjec wrote:

You don't?

Of course not! They can't see what I'm doing! It's not like it impairs my typing sufficiently to slow down the conversation. I'm a gen-Y. I multitask!
For context: early-20s male born and living in Australia of UK [Norman]/USA [Western European Jewish] heritage. My blog.

My avatar isn't me, it's "Law Girl". I even did an xkcd ripoff about it one time. She's kind of like my version of nerd girl.

Ishindri

Postby Ishindri » Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:06 am UTC

Confession: I am not a very critically-minded person. So when people start talking about flaws, et cetera, in movies and such, I generally have no idea what they're talking about. I don't notice bad acting and all that other stuff unless it's really blatant.
All is well. We are not like the others.

mjec

Postby mjec » Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:11 am UTC

Confession: I was just about to post a reply to Ishindri that just said me too!. I'm horrified.

Shizo

Postby Shizo » Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:25 am UTC

Ishindri wrote:Confession: I am not a very critically-minded person. So when people start talking about flaws, et cetera, in movies and such, I generally have no idea what they're talking about. I don't notice bad acting and all that other stuff unless it's really blatant.

same here. A follow-up to my former post, I live in Monroe. Hence the loose connection, since it isn't spelled the same.

Shadow Tyrant

Postby Shadow Tyrant » Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:48 am UTC

Confession: Shizo's new sig weirds me the fuck out.

Confession: I just yelled at my step-dad, and it took every ounce of me not to punch him in the face.
Trade your old video games for new ones with Goozex!

Verator

Postby Verator » Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:20 am UTC

Confession: Shizo's new sig brings up terrifying childhood memories.
[Wednesday January 02 20:41:06] Akira: but i want a penis ;_;
[Wednesday January 02 20:41:12] Mrcheesypants: let's face it, you aint below a 3 on a kingsley scale
[Wednesday January 02 20:41:36] Mrcheesypants: two sided dildos are like penises

Phi
Has Proportional Boobs (As rumor has it)

Postby Phi » Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:59 am UTC

Confession: I pretend not to be worried about SAT IIs on Saturday, but I just took the practice Physics one and I got a 650. I feel screwed.
At least I'm actually confident for the Math IIC portion :\

Confession: I've been exhausted for about a month now with something to do every damn day. I want a break from everything, if only for just a day. A day where I can vegetate and do nothing.

rxninja

Postby rxninja » Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:17 am UTC

KicktheCAN wrote:
rxninja wrote:Confession: While the forums weren't working with Firefox, I got so bored that I cleaned almost my entire apartment voluntarily. I didn't think to try IE, because IE hurts my soul.

Weird, it works fine for me. Do you have the latest version and if so what addons do you have?

Yeah, I have the latest version. I'm pretty sure I don't have any addons. It seems to be working now..

Confession: I admitted, not too long ago, that I was addicted to World of Warcraft. I quit on July 19th and haven't played since. I've only just recently begun to not feel cravings to reactivate my account and play again.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:I miss a lot of people, too. Fortunately, ammo is cheap.

sophyturtle wrote:I think nudity is the solution for everything...

Cephalus

Postby Cephalus » Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:40 am UTC

Confession: I blocked Shizo's new sig
Lurker Extraordinaire

pollywog
Let's party like it's my postcount

Postby pollywog » Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:57 am UTC

Confession: I'm beginning to hate the person I am. I'm going to change me. See ya when I get back.
suffer-cait wrote:hey, guys?
i'm fucking magic

Phi
Has Proportional Boobs (As rumor has it)

Postby Phi » Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:00 am UTC

pollywog wrote:Confession: I'm beginning to hate the person I am. I'm going to change me. See ya when I get back.

Enjoy the change!

Dark Ragnarok

Postby Dark Ragnarok » Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:54 am UTC

Cephalus wrote:Confession: I blocked Shizo's new sig

Confession: Ditto

reishka

Postby reishka » Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:59 am UTC

Confession: I'm sending all the xkcdians that want a postcard the same postcard... (same design, different things written on them) because I have ~75 of them left...

I think I need to order new postcards.

bookishbunny

Postby bookishbunny » Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:04 pm UTC

Confession: I obviously have no soul because Requiem for a Dream did not seriously affect me at all. I didn't get depressed because, well, I'm not a heroine addict, so my world looks nothing like the characters'. Also, the movie taught a lot about ill-gotten gains and what they come to. I actually felt quite uplifted after watching it. I walked away with "my reality does not suck and it is due to making some not-so-bad decisions".

Confession: I used the word "teached" the first time I typed this. WTF?
~Some people are like Slinkies - not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you push them down the stairs.

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:07 pm UTC

Confession: I obviously have no soul because Requiem for a Dream did not seriously affect me at all. I didn't get depressed because, well, I'm not a heroine addict, so my world looks nothing like the characters'. Also, the movie taught a lot about ill-gotten gains and what they come to. I actually felt quite uplifted after watching it. I walked away with "my reality does not suck and it is due to making some not-so-bad decisions".

Wow. I knew there had to be *someone* who could walk away from that movie and say "meh, sucks to be them!", but....
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

yellie

Postby yellie » Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:12 pm UTC

bookishbunny wrote:Confession: I obviously have no soul because Requiem for a Dream did not seriously affect me at all. I didn't get depressed because, well, I'm not a heroine addict, so my world looks nothing like the characters'. Also, the movie taught a lot about ill-gotten gains and what they come to. I actually felt quite uplifted after watching it. I walked away with "my reality does not suck and it is due to making some not-so-bad decisions".

You must be a robot or something.

bookishbunny

Postby bookishbunny » Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:22 pm UTC

Belial wrote:

Wow. I knew there had to be *someone* who could walk away from that movie and say "meh, sucks to be them!", but....

It's not like they were a victim of circumstance. They got themselves into drugs and dealing, then, when it dragged them down, they had the brilliant idea of getting out of it with more drugs and dealing. I just can't relate to people like that.
~Some people are like Slinkies - not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you push them down the stairs.

TigerX
its the squiggles dude!

Postby TigerX » Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:28 pm UTC

Confession: I bought the Pi/Requiem for a Dream box set, but I've yet to watch Requiem for a Dream because I fear that it will plunge me into the deep dark throws of unmanageable depression. The same is true for L'enfant.

Confession 2: I feel shame for this fact.

Belial

Postby Belial » Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:30 pm UTC

bookishbunny wrote:It's not like they were a victim of circumstance. They got themselves into drugs and dealing, then, when it dragged them down, they had the brilliant idea of getting out of it with more drugs and dealing. I just can't relate to people like that.

I suppose, as someone who doesn't see anything inherently evil about drugs, I didn't get the protective dehumanization of "they are doing bad things and bad things are happening to them".

They/them

elminster

Postby elminster » Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:31 pm UTC

Belial wrote:Wow. I knew there had to be *someone* who could walk away from that movie and say "meh, sucks to be them!", but....

I think it just had a worse effect on me because the number of parrallels I could draw from it. i.e. Imagine if that were really your situation while watching.
Also, possible lack of sleep at the time may have contributed, I can't remember.

Confession: I can't help but be annoyed at my lack of ability to put some continuity and smooth flowing points to an debate. I just finished typing up a post in "Guys that hit girls", but i'm displeased with the quality and wording of it. I havn't had to write essays for like 4 years now and my ability to do so has degraded to misused grammar; What sounds like common argument, due to lack of emphasis on parts that i'm strongly implying; It just being a collection of random points with some vauge level of understanding showing and little continunity.
*Sigh*

vrek
pigasm!

Postby vrek » Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:34 pm UTC

bookishbunny wrote:Confession: I obviously have no soul because Requiem for a Dream did not seriously affect me at all. I didn't get depressed because, well, I'm not a heroine addict, so my world looks nothing like the characters'. Also, the movie taught a lot about ill-gotten gains and what they come to. I actually felt quite uplifted after watching it. I walked away with "my reality does not suck and it is due to making some not-so-bad decisions".

Confession: I used the word "teached" the first time I typed this. WTF?

Out of curiosity did you feel anything at the end of the futurama episode jurrasic bark?
Didn't I tell you tomorrow that time is not linear?

Verator666: I get hot unicorn furry sex AND YOU DON'T!!

bookishbunny

Postby bookishbunny » Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:45 pm UTC

Belial wrote:
bookishbunny wrote:It's not like they were a victim of circumstance. They got themselves into drugs and dealing, then, when it dragged them down, they had the brilliant idea of getting out of it with more drugs and dealing. I just can't relate to people like that.

I suppose, as someone who doesn't see anything inherently evil about drugs, I didn't get the protective dehumanization of "they are doing bad things and bad things are happening to them".

I don't think drugs are "inherently evil" at all. I don't think french fries are inherently evil, either, but if you are fat because you eat too many of them, then feel the need to whore your girlfriend out for them, you can't blame 'fate' for the bad things that follow.

Belial

Postby Belial » Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:55 pm UTC

I don't think drugs are "inherently evil" at all.

You're knocking out all the justifications that let me believe you're a human being, and not a robot of some sort...

I guess I just don't entirely lose empathy for someone because they make a poor choice.

They/them

Return to “General”