Confessional Shed - I'll keep a look-out

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

dubsola

Re: Confessional Thread

Postby dubsola » Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:34 pm UTC

williamager wrote:<a lot>
Who can tell me what book, tv show or movie character williamager reminds me of? It's been bugging me ever since I read this sentence:

And of course, there is the most likely legitimate complaint that my writing is rather inaccessible, with excessive verbosity and syntax of a most convoluted nature, which I tend to attribute to Latin exposure; Cicero's De Oratore, with its paragraph long sentences, is most likely not a good model for understandable writing in English or any language, but my writing tends to end up being similarly convoluted without the corresponding great expressiveness."
It's on the tip of my mental tongue.

CaraInFrames wrote:Confession : I think I would possibly read williamager's opinion on walnut veneer if he cared to share...such is the extent to which I enjoy reading anything he has to write...at once eloquent and elegant in phrase, and yet never with a glint of condescension.
I too enjoy reading his writing, perhaps he has never heard the phrase 'brevity is wit', however, it cannot be denied that I chuckle at each and every paragraph, as they not only are chock full of elegant turns of phrase, but undeniably dripping with verbal diarrhea. I kid, I kid! williamager, please continue to write - you are awesome. Your analysis of veneer was both enjoyable to read and entirely correct. I would have probably phrased it thus: 'Fuck veneer', but that's just me.

Regarding Requiem for a dream: I had to turn it off about 20 minutes in, feeling very ill, and I feel no desire to try again. Something about the use of camera made me far too queasy to continue watching.

Gordon wrote:Confession: I think that is because I posted a lot in here when this thread was first made, most of you new people either scare or arrouse me.
Confession: I stopped reading this thread a few pages before page 200, when it became dominated by 4 or 5 posters with nothing to say. I'm so glad I started reading it again, as this page is incredibly amusing. williamager, gordon, and thekhakinator - I salute you.
EDIT: damn loss of context
Last edited by dubsola on Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:38 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby PictureSarah » Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:35 pm UTC

Confession: Today on the way to school, I was the ONLY one in my subway car. So I sang and swirled around the poles all the way there.
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

dubsola

Postby dubsola » Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:37 pm UTC

PictureSarah wrote:Confession: Today on the way to school, I was the ONLY one in my subway car. So I sang and swirled around the poles all the way there.
Glad I'm not the only one who does this.

Reckless

Postby Reckless » Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:42 pm UTC

Last night, I was taking a shower in my floor's bathroom. Nobody was in there, so I was singing Shook Me All Night Long.

Well, I thought nobody was in there, but suddenly I heard my buddy Niko on backup vocals from the throne. Awkwardly good times.

marshlight

Postby marshlight » Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:54 pm UTC

Reckless wrote:Well, I thought nobody was in there, but suddenly I heard my buddy Niko on backup vocals from the throne. Awkwardly good times.

That's awesome.

My confession is less cool: when my roommate isn't in the room, I shut her laptop because the thing has the single most irregularly climaxing, whining computer fan EVER. Even if I'm in a pleasant mood that thing pisses me off. It seems so inefficient.
Belial wrote:Time to hide in the CAVE OF AWESOME.

Angelene
relax, I'll handle the zippers

Postby Angelene » Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:58 pm UTC

Reckless wrote:Last night, I was taking a shower in my floor's bathroom. Nobody was in there, so I was singing Shook Me All Night Long.

Well, I thought nobody was in there, but suddenly I heard my buddy Niko on backup vocals from the throne. Awkwardly good times.

Awh, first laugh of the day. That's rather lovely, really.
"Some people need a red carpet rolled out in front of them in order to walk forward into friendship. They can't see the tiny outstretched hands all around them, everywhere, like leaves on trees."

eristic
Mmm, superhero brains! Nom nom nom...

Postby eristic » Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:59 pm UTC

Confession: My old roommate is one of people who has to hit snooze 10x before they wake up despite my complaints to him. Well, one day, I had to be up much earlier than him. So, before i left, I pulled the side of my bed from the wall about 2 inches, set the radio on my alarm to full blast volume, then set the alarm to go off in about 10 minutes. I promptly jammed the alarm in between the bed and the wall and left for the day. Needless to say, he never hit snooze again. Yes, I'm a dick.
Clerria wrote:
eristic wrote:Do you speak Greek? ;)

'maybe'

Haikus are simple
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

yellie

Postby yellie » Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:19 pm UTC

eristic wrote:Yes, I'm a dick.

Pfft, you're not a dick; you're an inspiration. I am so doing that to my roommate tomorrow morning.

There was a confession to be written here, but said confession has temporarily escaped the chronicler's mind.

libellule

Postby libellule » Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:43 pm UTC

dubsola wrote:
williamager wrote:<a lot>
Who can tell me what book, tv show or movie character williamager reminds me of? It's been bugging me ever since I read this sentence:
williamager wrote:<a mouthful>
It's on the tip of my mental tongue.

It's Stewie (Stuey?) from The Family Guy.

dubsola wrote:
CaraInFrames wrote:Confession : I think I would possibly read williamager's opinion on walnut veneer if he cared to share...such is the extent to which I enjoy reading anything he has to write...at once eloquent and elegant in phrase, and yet never with a glint of condescension.
I too enjoy reading his writing, perhaps he has never heard the phrase 'brevity is wit', however, it cannot be denied that I chuckle at each and every paragraph, as they not only are chock full of elegant turns of phrase, but undeniably dripping with verbal diarrhea. I kid, I kid! williamager, please continue to write - you are awesome. Your analysis of veneer was both enjoyable to read and entirely correct. I would have probably phrased it thus: 'Fuck veneer', but that's just me.

Not so long ago, pre-intarweb, we all spoke and wrote like this, or at least aspired to do so.

bookishbunny

Postby bookishbunny » Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:47 pm UTC

eristic wrote:Yes, I'm delightfully clever.

fix'd
~Some people are like Slinkies - not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you push them down the stairs.

DAVINA

Postby DAVINA » Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:48 pm UTC

confession: I hate when a good discussion passes me by. I always seem to show up about 8 posts after it gets put to rest. But I've always been an 'ah fuck it, doin it anyway!' person so on the topic of drugs (vs. Requiem, which I have never seen):

I wonder what Socrates would say? When he was on trial, his defense was that no one chooses harm over benefit. (*side note* I, too, was the smart kid until I got sent to the GATE class, then felt completely inadequate, and have ever since). But anyway, with that in mind, are drugs really bad if a person chooses them? Of course that all depends on whether or not you find Socrates full of crap or not, but something else to throw in the mix.

And the Poe subject runs parallel...Some people (see: musicians, painters, etc) take drugs because they have so much to say and it can't come out any other way. It's in their head, yes, they don't need drugs to THINK it, they need drugs to EXPRESS it. And the biggest question everyone asks is 'Why am I here?' Everyone wants to leave their mark on history, and if you have to smoke pot to write the song that gets you remembered after you're gone, isn't that the point? You can argue that taking drugs is cheating at this process, that it's entirely possible to write a song without getting stoned, and that I'm high right now. But Poe's work IS mo' betta when he was ripped. Dave Matthews DOES write more interesting songs when he is high. And personally, as an artist, I enjoy looking at or hearing my work much better when I did it under the influence. Maybe it's not 'good' but that all depends on what a person wants to accomplish in their own life. Drugs become 'bad' when they cut off your desire to accomplish anything. But if they help you accomplish your dreams, how is that bad?

Angelene

Postby Angelene » Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:02 pm UTC

Confession : I've been youtubing a capella songs for the last half hour.
"Some people need a red carpet rolled out in front of them in order to walk forward into friendship. They can't see the tiny outstretched hands all around them, everywhere, like leaves on trees."

Cassi

Postby Cassi » Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:06 pm UTC

Confession: I know I'll be a lot nicer to a girl I don't actually like if she passes her driving test tomorrow. This bothers me slightly less than I feel like it should.
une see wrote:Cass, YOU are my favorite!

TigerX
its the squiggles dude!

Postby TigerX » Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:16 pm UTC

CaraInFrames wrote:Confession : I've been youtubing a capella songs for the last half hour.

Brown Derbies.

And since I like local fare as well: TakeNote, TigerRoar, and Impulse. (Not that any of them are actually on YouTube.)

davef
NomNomNommin' the Rockenclature!

Postby davef » Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:18 pm UTC

Confession.
I don't feel like I belong here anymore. I've been lurking a lot and not posting lately. Too many new people! Don't know anyone here anymore. It feels ridiculous for me even to be bothered about feeling out of place in the online world where no-one knows me in the first place, but when I came here the community was a lot smaller, and I had more time to spend here, and it was great. Now, I don't feel like I have anything to add to the 358 new threads that pop up every day.

Bleh.
Ciúnas, bóthar, cailín, bainne.

Clerria

Postby Clerria » Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:19 pm UTC

Confession: I am actually having to work at work this week, so I won't be joining xkcd chat ; (

But I love my new office. I wish I had the remaining pieces of my desk : P But other than that, I have the mafia corner of the entire company. I'm trying to be less anti-social and make more friends over the last few weeks and it's totally working. Socializing... what has this world come to?

Side Confession/Random Thought: They need to make a less gay word for Zen so I don't hate anyone who uses it.
eristic wrote:
Clerria wrote:Do you speak Greek? ;)

'maybe'

TigerX
its the squiggles dude!

Postby TigerX » Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:24 pm UTC

Clerria wrote:Side Confession/Random Thought: They need to make a less gay word for Zen so I don't hate anyone who uses it.
What is gay about the word Zen?

Angelene

Postby Angelene » Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:27 pm UTC

Ha, well thanks for the utterly useless recommendations! I've been looping this Kiss By A Rose...it is utterly embarrassing how much I adore this song.

I was terribly daunted when I joined here less than a week ago, I've come from my university forum where the community was tiny and I knew most people in a real world basis already...and I was sort of a resident smarty pants...here I'm regularly reminded of how utterly average my intellect actually is, which is a welcome and humbling experience...although, that said, someone somewhere equated IQ with nerdiness which bothered me a tad, one can be exceptionally bright and know next to nothing about the world of science, surely?...but that's beside the point...there's a slight comfort in the vague sense of anonymity to be found here, I think, and there's always the option to create more personal relationships with people if some common ground can be found.

Clerria

Postby Clerria » Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:32 pm UTC

TigerX wrote:
Clerria wrote:Side Confession/Random Thought: They need to make a less gay word for Zen so I don't hate anyone who uses it.

Should have explained. It's not the word itself, it's the way people use it. People who say "I'm so zen right now" annoy the crap out of me.

And yet I have my own interpretation of the word that I strive for, which is probably the only reason I haven't exploded from stress lately, so I can't completely loathe the word. Just the way people use it. That's why I wish there were a better word for it so that the silly people can continue to abuse it and the serious people can reflect on something a little less superficial.

/disclaimer: meh
eristic wrote:

'maybe'

MFHodge

Postby MFHodge » Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:36 pm UTC

Clerria wrote:
TigerX wrote:

Should have explained. It's not the word itself, it's the way people use it. People who say "I'm so zen right now" annoy the crap out of me.

I think the implied objection was to the word "gay". A lot of people (myself included) would rather see it not used as a generic negative.

TigerX
its the squiggles dude!

Postby TigerX » Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:40 pm UTC

VTHodge wrote:I think the implied objection was to the word "gay". A lot of people (myself included) would rather see it not used as a generic negative.
Half and half. I'm always curious to know what people mean by Zen, especially in not specifically religious settings. And the use of 'gay' in the negative is annoying. I have enough fun working against people's notions of "gay" without having culture work against me. ;-)

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:41 pm UTC

Now now. Maybe she means the word has sex with other words of the same gender.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

Angelene

Postby Angelene » Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:44 pm UTC

Hmm, I wonder if 'lame' used in such a context causes offense to those whose gait is thus affected...

Clerria

Postby Clerria » Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:48 pm UTC

Ah yes sorry. I live in Austin : P I know far too many lesbians and gay people, who could care less if I use gay to refer to the "lame" definition of the word. So for those of you who get offended,... in a sense, I don't care. : ) I'm not an asshole, I just have a good (read: off) sense of humor.

I answered what I thought was the more pertinent question.
eristic wrote:

'maybe'

MFHodge

Postby MFHodge » Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:50 pm UTC

CaraInFrames wrote:Hmm, I wonder if 'lame' used in such a context causes offense to those whose gait is thus affected...

Not to push this thread into linguistics territory, but "Lame" does mean ineffective. A person or animal who is lame has ineffective legs, for example. The slang usage is clearly derrived from the original usage.

Same for "retarded" meaning slowed down (although this one is often abused, too). Lots of other examples: radical, bogus, awesome, etc.

DAVINA

Postby DAVINA » Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:53 pm UTC

confession: I like putting things 'on the record'

for the record, I wasn't offended.

Angelene

Postby Angelene » Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:58 pm UTC

I've been far too prolific in my posting here so far, I fear I've sacrificed quality for quantity. I shall be far more discriminate henceforth.

Belial

Postby Belial » Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:02 pm UTC

Clerria wrote:So for those of you who get offended,... in a sense, I don't care. : )

Charming.

CaraInFrames wrote:I've been far too prolific in my posting here so far, I fear I've sacrificed quality for quantity. I shall be far more discriminate henceforth.
I've been far too prolific in my posting here so far, I fear I've sacrificed quality for quantity. I shall be far more discriminate henceforth.

Shush. You're doing fine, quit worrying.

They/them

Clerria

Postby Clerria » Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:09 pm UTC

I'm sorry Belial!

I guess I just ran out of concern for this particular topic a long time ago. I don't try very hard to be Basically Decent and it vaguely irks me that people can't distinguish between slang that (for me) has nothing at all to do with a homosexual preference, and the actual gay community for which I harbor absolutely no negativity.

Once again, context wins the day.

And also, doing what I want, usually wins the day. Not caring what others think should win more often, in some sense.

So, in an effort to quell any other voices of dissent... (because obviously, even though I don't want to care, I do, a little)

"My parents were mean to me!" - Jordan, Scrubs
eristic wrote:

'maybe'

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:17 pm UTC

Confession: I am excited about my latest PM discussion.

Belial

Postby Belial » Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:18 pm UTC

I guess I just ran out of concern for this particular topic a long time ago. I don't try very hard to be Basically Decent and it vaguely irks me that people can't distinguish between slang that (for me) has nothing at all to do with a homosexual preference, and the actual gay community for which I harbor absolutely no negativity.

If you harbor them no negativity, I would suggest that you stop using their descriptor to describe everything you don't like.

But that's just me. For me, clarity of intentions and awareness of implications tends to win the day. And what I am communicating to others (rather than what I *mean*, which is known only to me) is somewhat important.

They/them

Clerria

Postby Clerria » Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:22 pm UTC

Belial wrote:

If you harbor them no negativity, I would suggest that you stop using their descriptor to describe everything you don't like.

But that's just me. For me, clarity of intentions and awareness of implications tends to win the day. And what I am communicating to others (rather than what I *mean*, which is known only to me) is somewhat important.

Belial, I really hate it when you're right.
eristic wrote:

'maybe'

Belial

Postby Belial » Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:27 pm UTC

If it's any comfort, so do I. I'm used to arguments ending in people snarling and walking off or agreeing to disagree. Agreement leaves me confused and off-balance.

So at least we're both uncomfortable?

They/them

Princess Marzipan

Postby Princess Marzipan » Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:27 pm UTC

Clerria: Stick around a bit longer; we'll hook you up with the implant to fix that.

Hail Belial.

Hailial.
"It's Saturday night. I've got no date, a two-liter of Shasta, and my all-Rush mixtape. Let's rock!"
"I am just about to be brilliant!"
General_Norris, on feminism, wrote:If you lose your six Pokémon, you lost.

williamager

Postby williamager » Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:14 pm UTC

dubsola wrote:I too enjoy reading his writing, perhaps he has never heard the phrase 'brevity is wit', however, it cannot be denied that I chuckle at each and every paragraph, as they not only are chock full of elegant turns of phrase, but undeniably dripping with verbal diarrhea. I kid, I kid! williamager, please continue to write - you are awesome. Your analysis of veneer was both enjoyable to read and entirely correct. I would have probably phrased it thus: 'Fuck veneer', but that's just me.

I have heard "brevity is the soul of wit", but we must keep in mind that it was said by Polonius, who might not be the best character to comment on verbosity. I'm actually rather sceptical of all the advice he gave: Hamlet was probably true to himself, but it did not follow as the night the day that he was not false to Polonius; the same may be said for Laertes to Hamlet.

I am capable of writing more concisely, as the computer gives me great freedom to pare down a text to a (hopefully) much more powerful and much shorter argument, but doing so would vastly increase the amount of time I would require for each post.

Regarding Requiem for a dream: I had to turn it off about 20 minutes in, feeling very ill, and I feel no desire to try again. Something about the use of camera made me far too queasy to continue watching.

I've never actually seen the film at all, though this hasn't hindered me from babbling at length about the subject here.

Clerria wrote:Ah yes sorry. I live in Austin : P I know far too many lesbians and gay people, who could care less if I use gay to refer to the "lame" definition of the word. So for those of you who get offended,... in a sense, I don't care. : ) I'm not an asshole, I just have a good (read: off) sense of humor.

I answered what I thought was the more pertinent question.

How can one know too many people? One can know so many as to be unable to remember them all, but is that undesirable? On the matter of the word "gay", I believe it has been tarnished by having too many unrelated definitions. You could equally well have meant that Zen is a joyous word. I'm rather irked by the fact that a group of people have stolen the word away from its original definition in a way such that it can scarcely be used now. It wasn't very considerate of them.

TigerX wrote:I was terribly daunted when I joined here less than a week ago, I've come from my university forum where the community was tiny and I knew most people in a real world basis already...and I was sort of a resident smarty pants...here I'm regularly reminded of how utterly average my intellect actually is, which is a welcome and humbling experience...although, that said, someone somewhere equated IQ with nerdiness which bothered me a tad, one can be exceptionally bright and know next to nothing about the world of science, surely?...but that's beside the point...there's a slight comfort in the vague sense of anonymity to be found here, I think, and there's always the option to create more personal relationships with people if some common ground can be found.

IQ and nerdiness are certainly not equivalent. Nerdiness itself is a rather ill-defined term, and there are likely as many different opinions on its meaning as people who use the word. In my view, the trait has more to do with personality than knowledge, and doesn't necessarily require an involvement with the world of science, unless one uses 'science' in the very broadest of senses. It could be said that being nerdy generally suggests a higher IQ, but the reverse is certainly not true. However, I dislike IQ in general, feeling that it attempts to crush the multifaceted and complex concept of intelligence into a single numerical measure that treats the diverse as identical, and that it tries to distil the mind, a object of such beauty and wonder, into a single number, wholly bereft of the life of the original.

DAVINA wrote:And the Poe subject runs parallel...Some people (see: musicians, painters, etc) take drugs because they have so much to say and it can't come out any other way. It's in their head, yes, they don't need drugs to THINK it, they need drugs to EXPRESS it. And the biggest question everyone asks is 'Why am I here?' Everyone wants to leave their mark on history, and if you have to smoke pot to write the song that gets you remembered after you're gone, isn't that the point? You can argue that taking drugs is cheating at this process, that it's entirely possible to write a song without getting stoned, and that I'm high right now. But Poe's work IS mo' betta when he was ripped. Dave Matthews DOES write more interesting songs when he is high. And personally, as an artist, I enjoy looking at or hearing my work much better when I did it under the influence. Maybe it's not 'good' but that all depends on what a person wants to accomplish in their own life. Drugs become 'bad' when they cut off your desire to accomplish anything. But if they help you accomplish your dreams, how is that bad?

It can be bad because one cannot always have a full understanding of the consequences of such actions. I'm not convinced that Poe would have chosen the life he lead in order to be a great writer, as drugs made him miserable for much of his life, and he died in a most wretched state. When I started sleeping less, it was with understanding of the immediate consequences, but I could not have known how those would effect other matters, and thus create further, far different consequences. Luckily, sleep deprivation is not overly addictive; but with heroin, one could easily choose with what one believes is full knowledge, and then later find to one's horror that very different results ensued. But we should perhaps put this topic to rest, for it would not be considerate for us to turn the Confessional Thread into the Consequences of Drug Use Thread.

And finally, since I've posted so much nonsense to this thread without having actually included any confessions, I will make one now:

Confession: I've never posted in any intro thread on this forum.
Do I dare
Disturb the universe?
In a minute there is time
For decisions and revisions which a minute will reverse

TiberiusM

Postby TiberiusM » Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:22 pm UTC

Confession: Holy crap that was a long post williamager just made, and I think it was about long posts....I'm not sure, as I stopped reading when I realized how long it was :/

Confession: I didn't get anything done at work today, but I'm not sure if I feel bad about that or not.

Belial

Postby Belial » Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:27 pm UTC

On the matter of the word "gay", I believe it has been tarnished by having too many unrelated definitions. You could equally well have meant that Zen is a joyous word. I'm rather irked by the fact that a group of people have stolen the word away

Do you mean the group it describes? Because if so, I don't believe they stole it. I believe it was stolen by others and applied to them, and they just adopted it. Could be wrong.

They/them

koalabäh

Postby koalabäh » Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:33 pm UTC

williamager wrote:However, I dislike IQ in general, feeling that it attempts to crush the multifaceted and complex concept of intelligence into a single numerical measure that treats the diverse as identical, and that it tries to distil the mind, a object of such beauty and wonder, into a single number, wholly bereft of the life of the original.

I feel it's necessary to point out that IQ does no such thing. It's a useful measure, just not of overall intelligence. This "subtlety" is lost on most people, and THAT is what I dislike.

(This smartass post was actually just a pretext to post so that I could, in a footnote, declare confess my wish to join the WilliamAger fanclub. You're the monster I would be if I were to ignore that little voice in my head that urges me to break up my sentences, except you don't seem to get lost in your own convoluted grammar as I would.)
Time you enjoy wasting isn't wasted time.

MFHodge

Postby MFHodge » Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:35 pm UTC

Confession: I really want to post more in Math and Science, but I usually assume that if I think I know the answer then I'm probably missing something. I try sometimes and I frequently do prove how little I know.

koalabäh wrote:I feel it's necessary to point out that IQ does no such thing. It's a useful measure, just not of overall intelligence. This "subtlety" is lost on most people, and THAT is what I dislike.

There is a whole thread discussing the use(full|less)ness of IQ testing: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=10129

BlueNowhere

Postby BlueNowhere » Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:02 pm UTC

Confession: I'm a bit worried and excited that two tutorials which I created are now linked from the WebCT login page of the college that I work for.

I hope my instructions are clear and straightforward. I think I'd have spent a bit more time on them if I had known that they will eventually be readily available to such a broad audience. I created them several months ago and they are just now being linked to from this page. Previously they were only available from a page which I consider to be less prominent. I could be wrong though.
The Blue Nowhere

Return to “General”