Confessional Shed - I'll keep a look-out

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Angelene
relax, I'll handle the zippers
Posts: 2132
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:29 am UTC

Re: Confessional Thread

Postby Angelene » Sun Oct 07, 2007 7:42 pm UTC

Re : THE fjafjan's post
Meh, anything that can be summed up with "he is right, she is wrong", is a tad too black and white for my liking. I don't see how I can be "wrong" in having an objection to how another is being treated. I never maintained that Alisto wasn't entitled to having an opinion, or to voicing such, but I felt the tone was unnecessarily hostile, and again, just because there are some who don't enjoy reading the flowery prose, doesn't mean that there aren't others who do. And the argument of having to read a post in its entirety before deciding that it should be ignored doesn't really stand when one can just choose to not read anything written by a particular writer, surely it's not so difficult to do as much?
"Some people need a red carpet rolled out in front of them in order to walk forward into friendship. They can't see the tiny outstretched hands all around them, everywhere, like leaves on trees."

User avatar
Verator
Posts: 1143
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:45 pm UTC
Location: 17/Male/Dayton area, Ohio
Contact:

Re: Confessional Thread

Postby Verator » Sun Oct 07, 2007 7:46 pm UTC

See but by ignoring an entire writer you're destroying much of the context of conversations occurring on the fora and you're ignoring the possibility that they might actually have worthwhile comments occasionally. If you ignore them you're putting them in a position of being inconsolably worthless of your time, when there's the possibility that they might change with time.
[Wednesday January 02 20:41:06] Akira: but i want a penis ;_;
[Wednesday January 02 20:41:12] Mrcheesypants: let's face it, you aint below a 3 on a kingsley scale
[Wednesday January 02 20:41:36] Mrcheesypants: two sided dildos are like penises

User avatar
TigerX
its the squiggles dude!
Posts: 564
Joined: Wed May 30, 2007 5:16 am UTC
Location: Clemson, SC
Contact:

Re: Confessional Thread

Postby TigerX » Sun Oct 07, 2007 8:01 pm UTC

Verator wrote:See but by ignoring an entire writer you're destroying much of the context of conversations occurring on the fora and you're ignoring the possibility that they might actually have worthwhile comments occasionally. If you ignore them you're putting them in a position of being inconsolably worthless of your time, when there's the possibility that they might change with time.
And that's something to personally weight against your personal frustration by someone's writing style.

It seems that there are a fair few of you who simply cannot get past a writing style to actually discuss something worthwhile. I don't read the Confessional Thread to listen to children bicker at each other over such trivialities. You are all smart grown persons. If it bothers you that much, ignore him. If it bothers you to ignore him, then learn to deal with it (the preferable solution in my mind).

Heaven forbid that someone go about things a different way and disturb such delicate sensibilities surrounding proper forum diction and syntax.

Angelene
relax, I'll handle the zippers
Posts: 2132
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:29 am UTC

Re: Confessional Thread

Postby Angelene » Sun Oct 07, 2007 8:08 pm UTC

That'll do.

So, confession : Confrontation upsets my sensitive self but at the same time I often find myself being deliberately provocative. It's a disturbing dichotomy.
"Some people need a red carpet rolled out in front of them in order to walk forward into friendship. They can't see the tiny outstretched hands all around them, everywhere, like leaves on trees."

User avatar
Verator
Posts: 1143
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:45 pm UTC
Location: 17/Male/Dayton area, Ohio
Contact:

Re: Confessional Thread

Postby Verator » Sun Oct 07, 2007 8:09 pm UTC

TigerX wrote:
Verator wrote:See but by ignoring an entire writer you're destroying much of the context of conversations occurring on the fora and you're ignoring the possibility that they might actually have worthwhile comments occasionally. If you ignore them you're putting them in a position of being inconsolably worthless of your time, when there's the possibility that they might change with time.
And that's something to personally weight against your personal frustration by someone's writing style.

It seems that there are a fair few of you who simply cannot get past a writing style to actually discuss something worthwhile. I don't read the Confessional Thread to listen to children bicker at each other over such trivialities. You are all smart grown persons. If it bothers you that much, ignore him. If it bothers you to ignore him, then learn to deal with it (the preferable solution in my mind).

Heaven forbid that someone go about things a different way and disturb such delicate sensibilities surrounding proper forum diction and syntax.


Now you're assuming that it bothers me greatly. You're making assumptions yourself, and therefore you're no better than any of the rest of us, and your superior 'adult' attitude doesn't help you. Perhaps I'm really just accentuating a point that his writing seriously bothers many people and it's needlessly and pointlessly overworked? You're no better than the rest of us, don't call us children. Also, perhaps there are behavioral habits that are better off being changed than merely put up with. If a child would need to punch someone every time he saw a ladybug you would force him to change, would you not? Or would you force the other children who are getting hit to deal with the punches? The confessional thread is here for off-topic discussions, if you come here to simply read about others troubles and gloat that your life is superior then you're really of no value in here either.
[Wednesday January 02 20:41:06] Akira: but i want a penis ;_;
[Wednesday January 02 20:41:12] Mrcheesypants: let's face it, you aint below a 3 on a kingsley scale
[Wednesday January 02 20:41:36] Mrcheesypants: two sided dildos are like penises

User avatar
biolution
Ken
Posts: 560
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:05 pm UTC
Location: San Francisco, Ca
Contact:

Re: Confessional Thread

Postby biolution » Sun Oct 07, 2007 8:11 pm UTC

Ok ok, let me get something clear:
williamager wrote:He does, but he makes a few mistakes in his assumptions, one of them being that I write in this way with the intention of being condescending. I don't; it's simply the way I write ...


Ok, cool, so you're not trying to be a pretentious twit, thats good! Welcome to the internet! Complementary porn is to your left.

Er, oh, wait, whats this?

williamager wrote:As for the Latin, I usually use it when I want something which takes the reader some time and effort to decipher, somewhat like posting in rot13. ... When first responding to Alisto, I had meant only to say that I was taught by masters of that most ignoble art (the writing of incomprehensible ramblings) he had mentioned.


So, see, now I'm confused again, Willy. You're not trying to be pretentious, yet you want (and possibly enjoy) to make it difficult for the reader, and take pride in the incomprehensibility of your writing. That is practically the definition of pretentious.

Ok, so we got +1, -1, we've all got our faults, but we strive to improve.

Oh, ah, well, most of us do, apparently:

williamager wrote:In other words, it would be rather difficult for me to stop being, as he sees it, a pretentious d-bag, and I would be unlikely to go through that effort and the corresponding loss of enjoyment for what he describes as a fucking internet forum.


Huh, well, thats quite interesting Willy. Lets recap that:
1) You don't know what d-bag is. I'm going to do you a favour, Willy. I'm going to give you a url. This url is going to be very beneficial for you. You aren't going to like this url, though, Willy. I'm gonna be honest. It is going to get your "knickers in quite the twist", as you might say: http://www.urbandictionary.com
2) You've said you enjoy making it difficult for the reader, as well as nearly incomprehensible, and now you've stated you have no interest in fixing that. I'm just trying to be clear here, Willy. That responsibility seems to fall on us now, apparently, and I'm in awe. I think Gordon has some competition for his crown now.

williamager wrote:I don't particularly mind. Once one has had a sizeable group of people devoting a large portion of their lives to vandalizing one's Wikipedia userpage, most other attacks on the internet seem trivial, especially when many of the complaints are true.


Now you're just fucking lying. Your wikipedia user page has 1 revision, and the only reason you have it there is because you don't like red links. Also, you claim to be a "Seasoned wikipedia editor" - dude, you have 6 contributions. Also, maybe, these mystical vandals are out to get you precisely because you're a pretentious ninny.

And you admit to being pretentious with that last part! I don't even need to write something abusive to you, you're being abusive towards yourself here!

Also, kudos for responding to *my* post....when it was pretty much everyone else who said more relevant things. I must admit, I'm a bit flattered you chose to serenade me with your tripe instead of Alisto, but come on, dude - are you so scared of people that you can't even directly respond to their posts on the internet, that you remove your picture from the Post You Face thread? I don't dislike you anymore, I can't; you're too pathetic to dislike.

@ Verator - Ah man, thanks for noticing his avoidance and calling him on it, too.

User avatar
Alisto
Crazy like a BOX!
Posts: 3998
Joined: Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:14 pm UTC
Location: South Jersey
Contact:

Re: Confessional Thread

Postby Alisto » Sun Oct 07, 2007 8:15 pm UTC

biolution wrote:Now you're just fucking lying. Your wikipedia user page has 1 revision, and the only reason you have it there is because you don't like red links. Also, you claim to be a "Seasoned wikipedia editor" - dude, you have 6 contributions. Also, maybe, these mystical vandals are out to get you precisely because you're a pretentious ninny.


Not to take away from the rest of your post, but had you considered that he registered a new account to escape the aforementioned vandals? At least, that's the excuse I'd use.

I'd be more interested to know what caused him to be a target of such attacks.
Bad grammar makes me [sic].
Crazy like a BOX!
<Jauss> Because karaoke, especially karaoke + lesbians = Alisto, amirite?
<rachel> Old people ain't got shit to do but look at clocks.

User avatar
fjafjan
THE fjafjan
Posts: 4766
Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:22 pm UTC
Location: Down south up north in the west of eastern west.
Contact:

Re: Confessional Thread

Postby fjafjan » Sun Oct 07, 2007 8:18 pm UTC

CaraInFrames wrote:Re : THE fjafjan's post
Meh, anything that can be summed up with "he is right, she is wrong", is a tad too black and white for my liking.
Anything written in a "Tl;dr" bit will be too black and white and unnuansed etc, that is why you should probably respond to the actual post other than the very short summary.

I don't see how I can be "wrong" in having an objection to how another is being treated.
Well probably not objectively wrong if you want to get into the whole "hay how can you say at all what is right and wrong in some objective way?" but based on pretty elementary moral principles I can certainly say so.
I never maintained that Alisto wasn't entitled to having an opinion, or to voicing such, but I felt the tone was unnecessarily hostile,
But just as you were not claiming so neither was Alisto, which was my point since you insinuated that Alisto was.

and again, just because there are some who don't enjoy reading the flowery prose, doesn't mean that there aren't others who do.
Some people like alot of strange things that maybe not all of us enjoy.
And the argument of having to read a post in its entirety before deciding that it should be ignored doesn't really stand when one can just choose to not read anything written by a particular writer, surely it's not so difficult to do as much?
Well first of all I am a moderator so that's not an option for me, secondly I point to my responce to the below posts

Some of us find it rather refreshing.

And that's fantastic, some people here love reading messages that are huge HTML jokes or just writing in binary but since that's a minority we do that in the more specific subfora.


@ Everybody arguing about whatever- Can't we all just get along?

*takes hands and hums Gumbayama lord*
Hey I'm not being sarcastic, it's a touchy song!

I think all of you people need to grow up. We have an ignore function for a reason.

that's for your individual taste not as a matter of policy, ie we don't let people troll or do whatever it is we don't like just because you can ignore them but rather if just really don't like me because you think I'm a commy idiot or because you don't like my musical taste then you can ignore me.

Basically ignoring someone should not be something you are forced to but something you chose to because as Verator says if I am forced to block everyone behaving like dicks then reading a thread can be incredibly confusing as people respond to them etc. If you CHOSE to block someone for reasons the community does not endorce then you'll have to live with it.

Heaven forbid that someone go about things a different way and disturb such delicate sensibilities surrounding proper forum diction and syntax.

Because something is unique or new does not mean it's desirable. if you write one post entirely in pig latin or some other roundabout way of writing things, hey maybe that's funny, but if you do it ALL THE TIME you are not being some kind of innovative genius you're just being annoying and it's annoying for people to read. Who decides what? The community does.
And so far no one that has supported this type of writing has been part of that community (well amicitas responce was dubious) so if you want to change the Zeitgeist then become part of the community, we'd love you to, but since we don't know you we don't care much what you think.

(Who am I to speak for the community? Well we're not a hive mind, but atleast my name is written in green)

So, confession : Confrontation upsets my sensitive self but at the same time I often find myself being deliberately provocative. It's a disturbing dichotomy.

Finally we agree :D

[mod mode]Biolution - There is a line between emotional and insulting and I think you crossed that line keep it more civil [/mod mode]

Tl;dr: Pears in sugar thingy and ice cream is delicious.
//Yepp, THE fjafjan (who's THE fjafjan?)
Liza wrote:Fjafjan, your hair is so lovely that I want to go to Sweden, collect the bit you cut off in your latest haircut and keep it in my room, and smell it. And eventually use it to complete my shrine dedicated to you.

User avatar
Okita
Staying Alive
Posts: 3071
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:51 pm UTC
Location: Finance land.

Re: Confessional Thread

Postby Okita » Sun Oct 07, 2007 8:21 pm UTC

Confession: I abhor latin. Why don't people take up Arabic or Chinese more often...
"I may or may not be a raptor. There is no way of knowing until entering a box that I happen to be in and then letting me sunder the delicious human flesh from your body in reptile fury."

User avatar
fjafjan
THE fjafjan
Posts: 4766
Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:22 pm UTC
Location: Down south up north in the west of eastern west.
Contact:

Re: Confessional Thread

Postby fjafjan » Sun Oct 07, 2007 8:24 pm UTC

Okita wrote:Confession: I abhor latin. Why don't people take up Arabic or Chinese more often...

I would want to learn Arabic to get more involved in the middle east and chinesse for China but haveth no time ...
//Yepp, THE fjafjan (who's THE fjafjan?)
Liza wrote:Fjafjan, your hair is so lovely that I want to go to Sweden, collect the bit you cut off in your latest haircut and keep it in my room, and smell it. And eventually use it to complete my shrine dedicated to you.

Angelene
relax, I'll handle the zippers
Posts: 2132
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:29 am UTC

Re: Confessional Thread

Postby Angelene » Sun Oct 07, 2007 8:27 pm UTC

Re : THE fjafjan's post
Meh, anything that can be summed up with "he is right, she is wrong", is a tad too black and white for my liking.
Anything written in a "Tl;dr" bit will be too black and white and unnuansed etc, that is why you should probably respond to the actual post other than the very short summary.]


Oh I was being entirely lazy, agreed, but it was a perfect summary in that everything you wrote was just entirely discounting what I said. I just feel that I've enabled the escalation of this topic to become something resembling a personal attack, and I wasn't aware you were a moderator so I can understand how ignoring someone isn't an option for you.

Of course, as I said already, I'm far too new to this place to be taking on such well established forumites as I seem to be doing, but there's a difference between expressing an opinion regarding someone's form of expression, and demanding that they change said form in order to accommodate the greater majority which seems a tad draconian to me, and yes there are some who seem to be suggesting this.

sigh, I really had intended on making a better impression before involving myself in any such debate.
Last edited by Angelene on Sun Oct 07, 2007 8:27 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"Some people need a red carpet rolled out in front of them in order to walk forward into friendship. They can't see the tiny outstretched hands all around them, everywhere, like leaves on trees."

User avatar
Verator
Posts: 1143
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:45 pm UTC
Location: 17/Male/Dayton area, Ohio
Contact:

Re: Confessional Thread

Postby Verator » Sun Oct 07, 2007 8:27 pm UTC

I would learn Arabic simply in hopes that I would gain access to the historical archives in Istanbul and most of the Arabian world, but I don't' see that happening in my lifetime... or me being proficient enough with languages for it to happen.
[Wednesday January 02 20:41:06] Akira: but i want a penis ;_;
[Wednesday January 02 20:41:12] Mrcheesypants: let's face it, you aint below a 3 on a kingsley scale
[Wednesday January 02 20:41:36] Mrcheesypants: two sided dildos are like penises

User avatar
Alisto
Crazy like a BOX!
Posts: 3998
Joined: Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:14 pm UTC
Location: South Jersey
Contact:

Re: Confessional Thread

Postby Alisto » Sun Oct 07, 2007 8:30 pm UTC

Okita wrote:Confession: I abhor latin. Why don't people take up Arabic or Chinese more often...


I took up Chinese. But...

Confession: It was only because my school didn't offer Japanese and I thought it would be neat to understand my wing chun terminology. (Turns out the terminology is in Cantonese and I studied Mandarin)
Bad grammar makes me [sic].
Crazy like a BOX!
<Jauss> Because karaoke, especially karaoke + lesbians = Alisto, amirite?
<rachel> Old people ain't got shit to do but look at clocks.

User avatar
TigerX
its the squiggles dude!
Posts: 564
Joined: Wed May 30, 2007 5:16 am UTC
Location: Clemson, SC
Contact:

Re: Confessional Thread

Postby TigerX » Sun Oct 07, 2007 8:32 pm UTC

Verator wrote:Now you're assuming that it bothers me greatly.

I assume nothing beyond your own statements. If it doesn't bother you greatly, wonderful. Then the you can ignore the post as not applicable to you. Since you seem to have a vested enough interest in the topic so as to continue with this wonderful reply, I will hold my assumption to be correct. Also, bear in mind that I was and am addressing more than just you.

You're making assumptions yourself, and therefore you're no better than any of the rest of us, and your superior 'adult' attitude doesn't help you.
I called your actions childish. As I find such bickering to be childish, I labeled it such. To refer to you collectively as "children" was a play on that label. To try to make this about making myself feel superior is just rhetorical nonsense and has nothing to do with the topic at hand.

[...] The confessional thread is here for off-topic discussions, if you come here to simply read about others troubles and gloat that your life is superior then you're really of no value in here either.
At no point did I ever refer to myself other than to state that I thought one particular action would have been the preferred one. The rest of this is just your nonsensical projection in order to side step my point entirely. Quite frankly, if you have read any of my posts in this thread, you'd probably know that my own self-worth is poor anyway.

I stand by my previous statement: If [a poster's writing style] bothers you that much, ignore him. If it bothers you to ignore him, then learn to deal with it (the preferable solution in my mind).

If you have something to discuss in regards to THAT statement, I'm more than happy to take you up on such a discussion. If you are going to play rhetorical games to whatever end, save your fingers and the reader's time.

User avatar
KicktheCAN
v "This used to be my penis!"
Posts: 940
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:11 pm UTC
Location: Hangin' with Sir Dickwad at the Bubble Palace.
Contact:

Re: Confessional Thread

Postby KicktheCAN » Sun Oct 07, 2007 8:34 pm UTC

Verator wrote:See but by ignoring an entire writer you're destroying much of the context of conversations occurring on the fora and you're ignoring the possibility that they might actually have worthwhile comments occasionally. If you ignore them you're putting them in a position of being inconsolably worthless of your time, when there's the possibility that they might change with time.


But if you truly do represent the majority of forumites as you so believe then everybody else will ignore him as well and his posts will not be included in discussion. Or you could stop bitching because you need to use dictionary.com every time you read a post and suck it up. I would think in the xkcd fora of all places we would not get such stupid complaints as somebody having too rich of a vocabulary. If it is simple you are looking for you can always go to 4chan.
pollywog is awesome, that is all.
Addendum: Sethicus is also cool to the maximum.

Akira: i prefer monster black-man cocks.
Hoags: It's getting all 2vreks1CAN in here

User avatar
fjafjan
THE fjafjan
Posts: 4766
Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:22 pm UTC
Location: Down south up north in the west of eastern west.
Contact:

Re: Confessional Thread

Postby fjafjan » Sun Oct 07, 2007 8:38 pm UTC

CaraInFrames wrote:Re : THE fjafjan's post
Meh, anything that can be summed up with "he is right, she is wrong", is a tad too black and white for my liking.
Anything written in a "Tl;dr" bit will be too black and white and unnuansed etc, that is why you should probably respond to the actual post other than the very short summary.]

CaraInFrames wrote:Oh I was being entirely lazy, agreed, but it was a perfect summary in that everything you wrote was just entirely discounting what I said.
Discounting? I was atleast hoping that I was making good arguments as to why what you said wasn't ... you know, true. or right or whatever.
I just feel that I've enabled the escalation of this topic to become something resembling a personal attack, and I wasn't aware you were a moderator so I can understand how ignoring someone isn't an option for you.

Well as I tried to point out it's not just about what I cannot do but that reading certain writing styles is simply annoying for most people.
CaraInFrames wrote:Of course, as I said already, I'm far too new to this place to be taking on such well established forumites as I seem to be doing
Well so far you have atleast been fairly polite and not too insane.
CaraInFrames wrote:but there's a difference between expressing an opinion regarding someone's form of expression, and demanding that they change said form in order to accommodate the greater majority which seems a tad draconian to me
Well what do you call banning people who troll? It's exactly that, any rule you ca think of is draconian by that extension, some people love reading porn spam but those are in minority. Why do we delete any porn spam? Well if you want to get to the bottom of it it's because most people don't like it.
Demanding some level of conformity when communicating to other forumites doesn't really seem "draconian" to me, so I maintain I think you're making a hen out of a feather.

sigh, I really had intended on making a better impression before involving myself in any such debate.
on the "right" side in some other debate will most likely redeem you in most peoples eyes, I can see where your arguments here stem from but I think you're exaggerating.

Confession: My farts currently smell REALLY bad. yet I secretly enjoy them.
//Yepp, THE fjafjan (who's THE fjafjan?)
Liza wrote:Fjafjan, your hair is so lovely that I want to go to Sweden, collect the bit you cut off in your latest haircut and keep it in my room, and smell it. And eventually use it to complete my shrine dedicated to you.

Angelene
relax, I'll handle the zippers
Posts: 2132
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:29 am UTC

Re: Confessional Thread

Postby Angelene » Sun Oct 07, 2007 8:44 pm UTC

fjafjan wrote:
Confession: My farts currently smell REALLY bad. yet I secretly enjoy them.


Ok, I stand by everything I said but I'm tired of repeating myself and my argument isn't as much with you anyway, and...well, that confession made me laugh and then spill tea all over myself...if it had been scalding hot you'd have been in trouble...oh but my ladylike sensibilities have been offended by such crudeness.
Last edited by Angelene on Sun Oct 07, 2007 8:45 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"Some people need a red carpet rolled out in front of them in order to walk forward into friendship. They can't see the tiny outstretched hands all around them, everywhere, like leaves on trees."

User avatar
Insignificant Deifaction
Small Goddess
Posts: 3729
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2007 2:14 am UTC
Location: Through the mother@#$%ing looking glass.

Re: Confessional Thread

Postby Insignificant Deifaction » Sun Oct 07, 2007 8:45 pm UTC

@Cara:

It has been said a few times before now, but I thought it best to reiterate: We don't care about how long someone has been here or how much they've said, only what they have to bring to the table. Don't worry about being new, and don't fret about it, we're much more interested in what you have to say rather than marking you.

Further, don't be afraid to stand up to anyone else, we respect calling a duck a duck much more than calling it a swan. Usually.

@Massive Raving Rants:

Things really seem to have gotten out of hand here. However, I do oppose Alisto's methods, as a forumite. He has his right to speak, but I do not feel he speaks in any way shape or form for the fora. Enough about my actual argument.

The argument is ridiculous in scope, the most important points are how we feel about the other fora members or small things about them. Therefore, I propose a cessation of hostilities and everyone gets a hug. Or we can go on hating each other. Whatever. My point here is that it doesn't matter what we think of each other, I imagine this place would be much drearier if we all worried what RealGrouchy thought of us, even if he hates fewer people than he makes out to, for example. It is best to get along with your enemies, something fora life teaches everyone, hopefully.

@People that don't like my avatar: Too bad. It fits all of our requirements and I like it. Teehee. I'm sorry about it disturbing you however, Khakinator and KicktheCAN.

Wow. That seems entirely too short to sum up two pages of writing, but what the hell.
Belial wrote:You are giving me the tools to sodomize my vast imagination, and for this I am grateful.

PM Me, if you care for a chat.

User avatar
TigerX
its the squiggles dude!
Posts: 564
Joined: Wed May 30, 2007 5:16 am UTC
Location: Clemson, SC
Contact:

Re: Confessional Thread

Postby TigerX » Sun Oct 07, 2007 8:52 pm UTC

fjafjan wrote:that's for your individual taste not as a matter of policy, ie we don't let people troll or do whatever it is we don't like just because you can ignore them but rather if just really don't like me because you think I'm a commy idiot or because you don't like my musical taste then you can ignore me.
I was referring to the functionality of the forum, not an community held policy for its use. My apologies if I was unclear.

Basically ignoring someone should not be something you are forced to but something you chose to because as Verator says if I am forced to block everyone behaving like dicks then reading a thread can be incredibly confusing as people respond to them etc. If you CHOSE to block someone for reasons the community does not endorce then you'll have to live with it.
Who is forcing anyone to do anything? I certainly have no authority over the posters of this forum. I merely stated my opinion about the fact of the argument. I for one don't consult the community to make personal decisions such as to what posters are worthy of ignorance.

Because something is unique or new does not mean it's desirable. if you write one post entirely in pig latin or some other roundabout way of writing things, hey maybe that's funny, but if you do it ALL THE TIME you are not being some kind of innovative genius you're just being annoying and it's annoying for people to read. Who decides what? The community does.
And so far no one that has supported this type of writing has been part of that community (well amicitas responce was dubious) so if you want to change the Zeitgeist then become part of the community, we'd love you to, but since we don't know you we don't care much what you think.
So you are defining the community based on the opinion regarding a certain poster's style? Forgive my incredulity. (Maybe there is something in the greater context that I am missing here.) There have been several folks (in this thread in the recent past) who have mentioned that they like said poster's style. (I myself am ambivalent on the subject. I find his prose no more impenetrable than that of others on this forum, so Meh.) I didn't just show up two days ago and spout my opinion on the community. I have been here for a couple of months and I addressed the actions of a group of posters in THIS thread. I'm frankly surprised by the "communal" reaction to my one-off statement and subsequent defense of that statement. My impression of the community here had been different. My mistake I suppose.

User avatar
BlueNowhere
Posts: 327
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:43 pm UTC
Location: Don't mess with Texas!
Contact:

Re: Confessional Thread

Postby BlueNowhere » Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:03 pm UTC

Grlmm wrote:Eh, I tried.

Try harder, punk.


Confession: I love the Euro Dance station on di.fm. It's fantastic. The music there is really really good. You should all go check it out, RIGHT NOW!

Confession the second: It's going to be a tough day. I really wish I was with her again. I hope these days will be fewer and less frequent soon. That's the trend I've been on and I hope it stays.
On the other hand thinking about talking to her again seems strange. I don't know how that would go. It would feel really really weird.

<wishful thinking>Can I just start over? </wishful thinking>
The Blue Nowhere

User avatar
Alisto
Crazy like a BOX!
Posts: 3998
Joined: Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:14 pm UTC
Location: South Jersey
Contact:

Re: Confessional Thread

Postby Alisto » Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:59 pm UTC

Alright, given that this has all risen out of my post and I haven't said anything since, I'm going to say a few things.

I stand by my arguments that his writing comes off as pretentious and condescending. I have a hard time believing that in day to day conversation he speaks as he writes. I like big words, and if someone needs to use an obscure word to convey a thought or idea, I am all for that. What I dislike is verbosity, which in itself means using more words than are needed. I find it odd that the people "defending" William use the very word which supports my stance. But I digress.

As for speaking for the fora, I didn't make any such claim. But, given the responses in this thread and the numerous people who have expressed annoyance outside of the fora (and before I made any posts on the matter), I think it's safe to say that I echo the sentiments of a rather significant portion of regulars.

Forums are for discussion. Part of any discussion is a mutual understanding of the rules of language. In its most basic form, that means working from the same definitions of words. If I say "awful", everyone is going to know that I mean terrible, even though the original definition meant "full of awe". If someone starts using it in its original meaning, there's going to be miscommunication. Just go to any Serious Business thread to see examples of this.

So aside from definitions, formality and style is another aspect of which there should be a mutual understanding. This is why you do not go to a job interview and use ebonics. If I walked onto a forum where everyone writes in a style similar to will and I used very informal and direct speech littered with slang, I would fully expect to be viewed as either too dumb too keep up or too much of an uncultured twit to care.

Well this is the same situation. Everyone here has come to an unspoken agreement of communication. We use English, we are informal but still care for proper grammar and spelling, etc. So just as we don't see bubble-headed AOL speak, we don't see deleted scenes from A Tale of Two Cities.

Now Will is obviously not an idiot, so I think it safe to assume that he has noticed the standards for conversation on the fora. However, he still chooses to be verbose and use Latin solely to make his readers work for his wisdom. So I can only come to a few possible conclusions.

1. He thinks the level of writing we employ is below him, which makes him a self-righteous ass.
2. He purposely uses language that displays his vast intelligence and wants to be incomprehensible to the plebes, which makes him a pretentious ass.
3. He is truly incapable of communicating in any other way, which makes him annoying and to be pitied for his lack of social skills.

So ignore him? Why? Should I ignore the man talking on his cell phone in a movie theater, or tell him why his behavior is inappropriate? Perhaps I should ignore the blasting stereo of my neighbor when I am trying to sleep. Just ignoring someone is not always a feasible option, especially in conversation when every comment can affect further discussion.

As an alternative response, I am as free to express my opinion as anyone else. Whether or not I should have been as "hostile" as I was is a different subject, though not something for which I will apologize.

And that's all I have to say about the subject. If you want to bicker back and forth... well, stop. Nobody likes drama.
Last edited by Alisto on Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:18 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Bad grammar makes me [sic].
Crazy like a BOX!
<Jauss> Because karaoke, especially karaoke + lesbians = Alisto, amirite?
<rachel> Old people ain't got shit to do but look at clocks.

User avatar
Verator
Posts: 1143
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:45 pm UTC
Location: 17/Male/Dayton area, Ohio
Contact:

Re: Confessional Thread

Postby Verator » Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:06 pm UTC

You know, the bringing up of the topic of languages was an unspoken end to this debate, but I think there's nothing else intellectual to say.

Confession: I care for someone I only know through the internet more than anyone I know in person.
[Wednesday January 02 20:41:06] Akira: but i want a penis ;_;
[Wednesday January 02 20:41:12] Mrcheesypants: let's face it, you aint below a 3 on a kingsley scale
[Wednesday January 02 20:41:36] Mrcheesypants: two sided dildos are like penises

Angelene
relax, I'll handle the zippers
Posts: 2132
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:29 am UTC

Re: Confessional Thread

Postby Angelene » Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:09 pm UTC

Oh I'm so done discussing this, everyone knows my stance and I'm going to end up alienating myself if I keep arguing the same point ad infinitum. (oh dear, shall I be admonished for my use of latin, there?)

Right, so, anyway, white chocolate Kinder Buenos are disappointingly disgusting, I had such high hopes, such, but no, they are just tacky and sickly and ultimately yucky.
"Some people need a red carpet rolled out in front of them in order to walk forward into friendship. They can't see the tiny outstretched hands all around them, everywhere, like leaves on trees."

User avatar
Will
There are about a million things I can do from behind
Posts: 2256
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:12 pm UTC
Location: St. Heraldwulf's Stone
Contact:

Re: Confessional Thread

Postby Will » Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:11 pm UTC

All I have to say is this: Alisto, I would caution you on how you choose to shorten WilliamAger's name.

(Okay, I doubt anyone was really confused by it, but my point stands.)
Meaux_Pas: Is it fucking Taint Sunday or something?
liza: Screw y'all, I'm going to the moon

User avatar
Insignificant Deifaction
Small Goddess
Posts: 3729
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2007 2:14 am UTC
Location: Through the mother@#$%ing looking glass.

Re: Confessional Thread

Postby Insignificant Deifaction » Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:15 pm UTC

No, common latin phrases are witty, not annoying :wink:

One brief thing to Alisto, however: I speak an average of 50 words a day. I type an average of ten thousand. Who's to say WilliamAger doesn't talk like that?
Belial wrote:You are giving me the tools to sodomize my vast imagination, and for this I am grateful.

PM Me, if you care for a chat.

User avatar
Verator
Posts: 1143
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:45 pm UTC
Location: 17/Male/Dayton area, Ohio
Contact:

Re: Confessional Thread

Postby Verator » Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:16 pm UTC

confession: I purposefully went to the last page and started working forwards for a thread to revive to the front of the list again.
[Wednesday January 02 20:41:06] Akira: but i want a penis ;_;
[Wednesday January 02 20:41:12] Mrcheesypants: let's face it, you aint below a 3 on a kingsley scale
[Wednesday January 02 20:41:36] Mrcheesypants: two sided dildos are like penises

User avatar
Will
There are about a million things I can do from behind
Posts: 2256
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:12 pm UTC
Location: St. Heraldwulf's Stone
Contact:

Re: Confessional Thread

Postby Will » Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:20 pm UTC

Confession: I know the massive reduction in spam is great for the mods, since they no longer have to spend nearly as much time dealing with it, but I miss the spam. It was good for a laugh sometimes.
Meaux_Pas: Is it fucking Taint Sunday or something?
liza: Screw y'all, I'm going to the moon

Angelene
relax, I'll handle the zippers
Posts: 2132
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:29 am UTC

Re: Confessional Thread

Postby Angelene » Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:24 pm UTC

I.D...I was joking my dear, I tend to throw in a few latin and french idioms every now and again without realising it, I'm going to blame my degrees for the former, and a friend for the latter.
"Some people need a red carpet rolled out in front of them in order to walk forward into friendship. They can't see the tiny outstretched hands all around them, everywhere, like leaves on trees."

User avatar
Insignificant Deifaction
Small Goddess
Posts: 3729
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2007 2:14 am UTC
Location: Through the mother@#$%ing looking glass.

Re: Confessional Thread

Postby Insignificant Deifaction » Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:41 pm UTC

I am aware you were joking, hence the elaborate winking emoticon.
Belial wrote:You are giving me the tools to sodomize my vast imagination, and for this I am grateful.

PM Me, if you care for a chat.

User avatar
Grlmm
Would like to buy a vowel
Posts: 652
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:58 pm UTC
Location: Indiana.

Re: Confessional Thread

Postby Grlmm » Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:47 pm UTC

Confession: I'm actually slightly hurt no one responded to my last one. And it's not an ego complex, or a "it's all about me"...but it was a confession, and a pretty deep one at that. :?

User avatar
TigerX
its the squiggles dude!
Posts: 564
Joined: Wed May 30, 2007 5:16 am UTC
Location: Clemson, SC
Contact:

Re: Confessional Thread

Postby TigerX » Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:52 pm UTC

Grlmm wrote:Confession: I'm actually slightly hurt no one responded to my last one. And it's not an ego complex, or a "it's all about me"...but it was a confession, and a pretty deep one at that. :?
Blue replied above.

User avatar
Grlmm
Would like to buy a vowel
Posts: 652
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:58 pm UTC
Location: Indiana.

Re: Confessional Thread

Postby Grlmm » Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:56 pm UTC

TigerX wrote:
Grlmm wrote:Confession: I'm actually slightly hurt no one responded to my last one. And it's not an ego complex, or a "it's all about me"...but it was a confession, and a pretty deep one at that. :?
Blue replied above.

No, that was a response to a response. I mean last page, there was an actual confession.

User avatar
Verator
Posts: 1143
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:45 pm UTC
Location: 17/Male/Dayton area, Ohio
Contact:

Re: Confessional Thread

Postby Verator » Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:59 pm UTC

Grlmm wrote:Confession: The more my father tries to get close to me, the more he tries to treat me like an adult...the more disgusted I am with myself.



/pat, and I understand being disgusted with yourself, it's second nature for me!
[Wednesday January 02 20:41:06] Akira: but i want a penis ;_;
[Wednesday January 02 20:41:12] Mrcheesypants: let's face it, you aint below a 3 on a kingsley scale
[Wednesday January 02 20:41:36] Mrcheesypants: two sided dildos are like penises

User avatar
TigerX
its the squiggles dude!
Posts: 564
Joined: Wed May 30, 2007 5:16 am UTC
Location: Clemson, SC
Contact:

Re: Confessional Thread

Postby TigerX » Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:02 pm UTC

Grlmm wrote:Confession: The more my father tries to get close to me, the more he tries to treat me like an adult...the more disgusted I am with myself.
Why is that? Do you not like your father?

User avatar
Insignificant Deifaction
Small Goddess
Posts: 3729
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2007 2:14 am UTC
Location: Through the mother@#$%ing looking glass.

Re: Confessional Thread

Postby Insignificant Deifaction » Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:04 pm UTC

I would expand upon it, but that is at Grlmm's discretion, not mine.
Belial wrote:You are giving me the tools to sodomize my vast imagination, and for this I am grateful.

PM Me, if you care for a chat.

User avatar
Verator
Posts: 1143
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:45 pm UTC
Location: 17/Male/Dayton area, Ohio
Contact:

Re: Confessional Thread

Postby Verator » Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:20 pm UTC

Confession: The more I wish to be away from my friend, the more we end up interacting, and I still can't help but want to be around her still.

Confession: The more I try to change for the better, the more revolted I am by my own body and the less I want to be seen during daylight hours.

Confession: I feel post count does matter somewhat and I feel bad about how low mine seems to be. I do think quality matters over quantity though. *Uses Will as an example*

Confession: If I didn't live with my family I would probably be many times more self-motivated and likely to get things done.

Confession: I want to start a sig/ avatar shop on the fora but I'm afraid my skills aren't good enough.

Confession: No matter how much the aforementioned friend drives me insane, I still have deep feelings for her that have developed over the years and I can't help but hope that she'll change and things will keep looking up like they were before school really started.
[Wednesday January 02 20:41:06] Akira: but i want a penis ;_;
[Wednesday January 02 20:41:12] Mrcheesypants: let's face it, you aint below a 3 on a kingsley scale
[Wednesday January 02 20:41:36] Mrcheesypants: two sided dildos are like penises

User avatar
schumi_girl
Human sacrifice for hire
Posts: 598
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:16 am UTC
Location: Under my doona, playing cubby houses.

Re: Confessional Thread

Postby schumi_girl » Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:23 pm UTC

You're the one who made I_D's avatar, aren't you? That was awesome! You could totally set up shop.


Adam: "This could be trouble."
Riley: "We'd better make a fort."
Adam: "I'll get some pillows."

User avatar
Grlmm
Would like to buy a vowel
Posts: 652
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:58 pm UTC
Location: Indiana.

Re: Confessional Thread

Postby Grlmm » Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:30 pm UTC

If CAN or Insig_Dei wish to expand, that's fine. I don't think I could bring myself to typing any of it. :?

User avatar
Insignificant Deifaction
Small Goddess
Posts: 3729
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2007 2:14 am UTC
Location: Through the mother@#$%ing looking glass.

Re: Confessional Thread

Postby Insignificant Deifaction » Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:31 pm UTC

Grlmm, as I understand it, has been after his father's pride and affection for a long time now, and it seems kind of cheap?

An example of something Verator made for the avatar but we couldn't use because it was so large:
Attachments
Avatars-Insig3.gif
See, the transititon effect has to have a separate frame for each moment of it. Very KB intensive.
Avatars-Insig3.gif (365.2 KiB) Viewed 2305 times
Belial wrote:You are giving me the tools to sodomize my vast imagination, and for this I am grateful.

PM Me, if you care for a chat.

User avatar
KicktheCAN
v "This used to be my penis!"
Posts: 940
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:11 pm UTC
Location: Hangin' with Sir Dickwad at the Bubble Palace.
Contact:

Re: Confessional Thread

Postby KicktheCAN » Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:33 pm UTC

TigerX wrote:
Grlmm wrote:Confession: The more my father tries to get close to me, the more he tries to treat me like an adult...the more disgusted I am with myself.
Why is that? Do you not like your father?


His father never thought Grlmm was good enough and now only after he has put himself in a ton of debt and exhausted himself in college his father comes back and finally congratulates him, after all this time.

Edit: @Insignificant Deification: That is so much better.
pollywog is awesome, that is all.
Addendum: Sethicus is also cool to the maximum.

Akira: i prefer monster black-man cocks.
Hoags: It's getting all 2vreks1CAN in here


Return to “General”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 22 guests