Confessional Shed - I'll keep a look-out

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Boesthius

Re: Confessional Thread - Confession Not Found

Postby Boesthius » Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:37 am UTC

I've developed a creepy fixation with my new iPod Nano.

I despise nano's...mostly because I have a ridiculous music ego and like to declare I have over 90gb of music to as many people as possible.

Also, how does I fail top?
life of lively to live to life of full life thx to shield battery

Aleril
Le Rail

Postby Aleril » Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:59 am UTC

Boesthius wrote:
I've developed a creepy fixation with my new iPod Nano.

I despise nano's...mostly because I have a ridiculous music ego and like to declare I have over 90gb of music to as many people as possible.

Also, how does I fail top?

Same, if I get an MP3 player, I want to put all of my songs on it.

Ishindri

Postby Ishindri » Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:32 am UTC

Confession: I haven't been on the fora in more than a month. I am riddled with guilt.

...okay, I'm over it now. It's not like anybody noticed my absence, I tend to lurk.

Confession: I have been neglecting my new sleep schedule for the goodness that is Team Fortress 2.
All is well. We are not like the others.

Aluminus

Re: Confessional Thread - Confession Method Not Allowed

Postby Aluminus » Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:24 am UTC

Confession: NationStates is taking hold of me. Must... invade... must take over... smaller regions...
fyrenwater wrote:Oh dear God, I just imagined this horrible scenario of a psychotic non-people-person running around, trying to steal the people-person section of people-peoples' brains to implant into their own brain.

Vandole

Postby Vandole » Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:29 am UTC

Confession: I'm crying for no apparent reason. It sucks.
Vandole wants you to read An Intimate History of the Greater Kingdom (NSFW text).
Oh, I'm no end table. I'm a nightstand.
Gelsamel wrote:Don't ever sig me..... ever.

Delalyra

Postby Delalyra » Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:44 am UTC

Vandole wrote:Confession: I'm crying for no apparent reason. It sucks.

*hugs* I hate it when that happens. :(

Confession: I want to have my cake and eat it too. Dammit.
you may remember me from 2008 or 2009. I left for a while. I'm now sporadically back. I tumble here.

Upsilon

Postby Upsilon » Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:48 am UTC

Why don't you just eat someone else's cake?

EDIT: Confession: That was more dirty written out than it was in my head...
22/M/USA
age/sex/location
Spoiler:
Upsilon avatar from TaintedDeity.

Khonsu

Postby Khonsu » Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:28 am UTC

A couple cute girls I see in my classes sound really witty and awesome. I won't lie, I have the eensiest crush on one or two, wanting to just hang out with them, but of course maybe wanting more? Something about them seems...different. I doubt it's gaydar or anything, but I admit, I've never pursued anyone, and I kinda want to try.

I know they're probably all straight and would be horrified or at least weirded out if they knew I found them reasonably attractive, but I can't help but feel a little shame that they're very cool and probably good friends...if I keep my mouth shut, like I used to. Just pretend to be straight or at least bi or say absolutely nothing at all. Lovely and I are in a weird, open thing right now, and we're content to experiment with this polyamory stuff...so it's not like I'm cheating. Lovely knows, and approves. We have a unique situation and we're trying to make the best, yesno?

I already nearly ruined a budding friendship by admitting to the girl I was gay. Only Christian also-Canadian straight girl in fucking Portland, and I have to befriend her AND think she's fucking cute. AND she plays WoW, D&D, loves Neil Gaiman, and is generally fucking witty and charming AAAAND...she's an English major. AND AND AND! She's a huge internet geek, too. It's practically cruel, but I KNOW she cant' help it and I'm absolutely not blaming her for being so charming. AUGH. I was just being honest, but hearing "I don't agree with certain lifestyle choices, but I won't hate you for what you do, but I do...well, I don't want to talk about it" felt awful. I felt like I'd really made her feel disgusted, or worse, pious and superior.

For once I'm actually scared of what these girls would think of me. Before, I obscured the truth for my own protection...now I just feel cowardly. Also, I can't bring myself to go to the Queer Resource Center on campus just to talk to someone about these stuff eating me up about Lovely's issues, my issues, all this shit...I'm afraid to go in the goddamn room. I'm AFRAID. To go. In a room. I'm afraid someone will see, and judge me. I've never been this chickenshit since I was much younger. Augh. So dumb.

*realizes this would make an excellent LJ entry, sigh*

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby PictureSarah » Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:36 am UTC

Khonsu, if a lesbian or bi girl in my class was attracted to me, chances are (if I thought she was a cool person) I'd be flattered. I still wouldn't be interested in a romantic/sexual relationship with her, but it wouldn't weird me out or make a friendship awkward.
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

xndrew
Look on my hair, ye Mighty, and despair!

Postby xndrew » Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:41 am UTC

Khonsu wrote:A couple cute girls I see in my classes sound really witty and awesome. I won't lie, I have the eensiest crush on one or two, wanting to just hang out with them, but of course maybe wanting more? Something about them seems...different. I doubt it's gaydar or anything, but I admit, I've never pursued anyone, and I kinda want to try.

I know they're probably all straight and would be horrified or at least weirded out if they knew I found them reasonably attractive, but I can't help but feel a little shame that they're very cool and probably good friends...if I keep my mouth shut, like I used to. Just pretend to be straight or at least bi or say absolutely nothing at all. Lovely and I are in a weird, open thing right now, and we're content to experiment with this polyamory stuff...so it's not like I'm cheating. Lovely knows, and approves. We have a unique situation and we're trying to make the best, yesno?

I already nearly ruined a budding friendship by admitting to the girl I was gay. Only Christian also-Canadian straight girl in fucking Portland, and I have to befriend her AND think she's fucking cute. AND she plays WoW, D&D, loves Neil Gaiman, and is generally fucking witty and charming AAAAND...she's an English major. AND AND AND! She's a huge internet geek, too. It's practically cruel, but I KNOW she cant' help it and I'm absolutely not blaming her for being so charming. AUGH. I was just being honest, but hearing "I don't agree with certain lifestyle choices, but I won't hate you for what you do, but I do...well, I don't want to talk about it" felt awful. I felt like I'd really made her feel disgusted, or worse, pious and superior.

For once I'm actually scared of what these girls would think of me. Before, I obscured the truth for my own protection...now I just feel cowardly. Also, I can't bring myself to go to the Queer Resource Center on campus just to talk to someone about these stuff eating me up about Lovely's issues, my issues, all this shit...I'm afraid to go in the goddamn room. I'm AFRAID. To go. In a room. I'm afraid someone will see, and judge me. I've never been this chickenshit since I was much younger. Augh. So dumb.

*realizes this would make an excellent LJ entry, sigh*

While I can't speak from experience about being gay, my little brother is, and I'm apparently the only person in ht family he feels comfortable telling. This pisses me off. Not that he hasn't told anyone else, just that he doesn't feel comfortable doing so. I just wish people could accept people regardless of their sexual preference or sexuality.

Either way, maybe just trying to befriend them, then drop it later after you guys have had a bit of a friendship? This doesn't always work though, apparently people feel like you're lying to them if you don't tell them your gay or lesbian or bi right away, as if finding out that the person is not hetero makes them a completely different person. All I can suggest is to try at the very least, and try to not worry so much.

As for the QRC, if it bothers you that much, why not get a hoodie? Or a mask. Or, try to go at a time when you'll be fairly certain no one can see you? More than that though, perhaps going in broad daylight could be a good step for you?

Confession: I wish I found emotions as useless as I used to.

Khonsu

Postby Khonsu » Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:57 am UTC

Probably. I keep telling myself I'll "go tomorrow." Maybe I will. I've only been ON the campus a week, but I tend to want to either plow through and grit my teeth and solve a problem as best I can, or sometimes I run. I've ran a long, long time. I don't want to. My parents and family STILL don't know all that much about the real me. And yeah, I have hoodies, but I tend to wear them often as it's DAMN cold and drizzly here right now--I know it's a big-ass school and thus it doesn't matter if people see me walk in there, as it's a well-documented, respected sector of student services...but I feel awkward.

I've never been a terribly...er...prideful person. I don't think I'm special because I'm not entirely the norm--hell, I think "pride" in anything that is a sports team, city, or ethnicity is just...weird. It's not your choice, you know? It's just a psychological in-group. I don't WANT to really be associated with the "WEEE WE'RE QUEER!" sect, but I have to admit, getting a hug from someone who understands AND is nice would be awesome, especially since I think the other lesbian-and-lesbian!transwoman couple we know (I know, one in a million, right?) are very...stoic? The natal lesbian in that relationship is, uh, the PARAGON of "Suck it up and have a cigarette." She's my age, and yet she acts like she's lightyears above me. I don't want to talk to her, even though she's civil, because she's derisive as hell to everyone about everything, in my opnion. She's a badass and knows it and, frankly, she intimidates even me. It's silly because she's not mean, but she has the aura of a battleaxe.

I know most people probably wouldn't care at all...but I'm still living like I'm in Ohio. I can't shake the feeling I'm going to get hurt. Portland is a very, very liberal city and has a rather oddly huge, strong lesbian population and generally is a pretty wacky place. If I'm safe anywhere, it's here. I just...can't convince myself of it when I'm in the halls of a huge university for the first time and almost everyone, save those in wheelchairs or those who are dwarfed, is bigger than me.

Berengal
Superabacus Mystic of the First Rank

Postby Berengal » Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:28 am UTC

@Khonsu: I know that feeling. Unfortunately, the only way I do know how to deal with it is to, indeed, "suck it up and have a cigarette".
One of the most awesome things I've seen was when I was out drinking in a park, and this girl told one of her friends she was gay, and the "friend" responded with something very similar to your christian-canadian. This guy, whom I assumed was the first girl's friend, overheard, walked up to the other girl and suckedpunched her, right in the face. She rolled around and fell flat on her face, adn the guy said "That was from Jesus!". Surprisingly, his next words were to the first girl: "Hi, I'm Nils. Come join me and my friends. That girl there is also gay, and single, and she's awesome. Have a beer".
I mean, the guy up and defended her even though he didn't know her. Now, I'm normally very much against violence, but the way it was executed here was just pure brilliance (the guy came off not as a violent guy by doing it either, and I'm rather sensitive about that). The best part is of course how he took care of the gay girl, who had just lost her "date" and was now alone among lots of drunk people, introduced her to one of his friends and at the same time removed lots of the "uhm... so..." from their potential relationship. I've seen them around holding hands.

Confession: Sometimes I wish I was gay, because all the awesome kids I know are, and I probably would've had a boyfriend if I were to boot.
It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students who are motivated by money: As potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration.

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:40 am UTC

Khonsu wrote:I know most people probably wouldn't care at all...but I'm still living like I'm in Ohio. I can't shake the feeling I'm going to get hurt. Portland is a very, very liberal city and has a rather oddly huge, strong lesbian population and generally is a pretty wacky place. If I'm safe anywhere, it's here. I just...can't convince myself of it when I'm in the halls of a huge university for the first time and almost everyone, save those in wheelchairs or those who are dwarfed, is bigger than me.

That's a very common experience, since you say it's a big school. I can guarantee you that many people who aren't as reflective as you are, or who are incapable of self examination, will end up dropping out because the feelings you are describing appear to them to be "I'm just not happy/fitting in here." You are streets ahead of most people in that you are aware you have some issues that need sorting out. There will be hundreds of people, if not thousands, all feeling the same things, but few who will do anything about it. Since you are already taling about it here, I don't think you'll have any trouble dealing with it there.

I went to a massive uni too, and had an office next to one that had a disproportionately high queer interest. I understand completely the worry that people are "QUEER!" in the campus LGBT organisation, but those people are just the visible minority. You'll meet people who will give you a hug and understand, I met them, and they were great.

Just talk to the attractive girls. Everyone meets lots of people starting out at uni. If they are cool with your sexuality, you'll either make friends or find a new lover. If they're "all like Oh me yarm! This LESBIAN hit on us!" you can write them off and igore them for your entire college career. Either way you win. As long as you're discerning about who you actually make friends with, meeting new people is always good, because it gives you better chances to find worthwhile people.

Lastly, it's only been a week. Things will get better as you get used to the place. I'll bet your first week of high school was a bit different than your last, and it will be the same with uni. And I don't agree with Berengal. You don't need to just suck up anything. The less time you worry about the opions of stupid people around you, the better. Just walk away and forget about it. Although the guy in the story sounds cool, minus the violence.
I knew a woman once, but she died soon after.

Khonsu

Postby Khonsu » Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:41 am UTC

What Would Nils Do? That almost replaces Lovely's What Would Neil Gaiman Do? slogan. XD

Also...yeah. I know that S. (the stoic girl) would be right, whatever she told me in response. I just hate admitting that, sometimes, I get all wimpy on myself.

I realize that I MUST get over this, but I'd also like to make a few friends while I do it. Goddamnit, I want to go to the QRC, but I guess I'm actually kind of afraid of getting a welcoming reception. I mean, I don't know how I'd handle someone I barely know being so nice. I might actually cry or something. Even my best local friends in high school tended to have something better to do 90% of the time.

Also, I know it's a week at the school, but it'll be a year in the city itself on my 22nd birthday, exactly (4/23/08). I know I'm still green either way, but I'm not used to wildly new environments, and I tend to panic just a wee bit at first. I mean, I went 2k miles from home less than a year ago--which was incredibly brave and proactive of me, maybe the most assertive thing I've EVER DONE, but now I'm sort of settling into this new life and going "Gack, no real job, no real diploma yet, no set social circle! ACK!" because I realize it's nearly been a year. I'm in a very chaotic time right now, and I know I'm expecting a bit much--I know I'll rise to the challenge, but for now, I'm still nervous! :roll:

Boesthius

Postby Boesthius » Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:19 am UTC

Confession: I've been listening to Powerglove for the past 24 hours and it'll never get old.
life of lively to live to life of full life thx to shield battery

SilentSigil

Postby SilentSigil » Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:09 am UTC

deleted
Last edited by SilentSigil on Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:14 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
If I say that this is left purposely blank, then the statement contradicts the reality, which is that the sig space was not left blank, but had the words 'This space left purposely blank' in it.

litework

Postby litework » Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:19 am UTC

Confession: after putting up an "I don't need you, keep your skanky new girlfriend and I hope you are happy" front, I sent an e-mail to my ex last night saying that the ony reason we aren't together is because HE doesn't want to be.

How humiliating and self-deprecating... my life needs a rewind button.
Question Without Fear

SilentSigil

Postby SilentSigil » Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:27 am UTC

to acquire rewind button, these steps must be followed...

(simple method)

Use the caffiene formula concocted in the What I Should Be Doing thread, but instead of 4, multiply by 8. If you don't die, you will be moving faster than the speed of light, and you will have power over time Prince-of-Persia-style, by proxy of hallucination.

(complex method)

Meditate on the perspective of life, and how very intense pain seems on impact, then observe objectively how you feel versus the sheer amount of time you have left, and the chances that said 'skank-ho' has the intellectual prowess to be more than a mere physical toy. In the process, observe and improve flaws noted in self, re-consider ex's position in life, and repeat.

It may work for you, maybe.
If I say that this is left purposely blank, then the statement contradicts the reality, which is that the sig space was not left blank, but had the words 'This space left purposely blank' in it.

litework

Postby litework » Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:36 am UTC

SilentSigil wrote: and the chances that said 'skank-ho' has the intellectual prowess to be more than a mere physical toy.

Judging by the impact these words had on me, and my intense need for instant results, I am off to fill a 2-liter bottle with espresso.

BRB
Question Without Fear

Fossa

Postby Fossa » Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:37 am UTC

Confession: As I respond to the 8th alcohol poisoning of the evening I'm seriously starting to wonder if this job isn't responsible for making me so intensely bitter over the past three years. At the same time, flirting with the new girl working at Dispatch makes me wonder what the hell I'm doing with my life (She's a first year, staying put till graduation, then doing a Mormon missionary trip while I'll be 1100 miles away in 5 months).

Gah.

Hate life.

litework

Postby litework » Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:40 am UTC

Fossa wrote:Hate life.

Feel you. OH do I feel you.
Question Without Fear

xndrew
Look on my hair, ye Mighty, and despair!

Postby xndrew » Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:34 pm UTC

litework wrote:Confession: after putting up an "I don't need you, keep your skanky new girlfriend and I hope you are happy" front, I sent an e-mail to my ex last night saying that the ony reason we aren't together is because HE doesn't want to be.

How humiliating and self-deprecating... my life needs a rewind button.

I've been there. Only, I was a terrible boyfriend, I guess?, and I sent and angry email saying we would be together if she didn't have a new, probably pretty cool, probably very nice, army boyfriend.

I like thinking, at the very least, she's probably a lot safer if zombies strike and he's around.

Telestia

Postby Telestia » Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:48 pm UTC

Confession: I still love my ex-girlfriend. A lot. She's off to college and I'm still here watching life fly by me. I want to go to college, I really do, but I'm scared and I don't know what of. I don't know whats wrong with me. I graduated high school almost 2 years ago and by the end of the month all my friends will be gone. All I'm going to have is my shitty boring job and a computer when I get home. Maybe I'm afraid that I wouldn't be accepted in college (into one or accepted on a more personal level). Applying to a college would take a lot of work that I know I should have done in high school, and it's really easy to not do it....

I just feel like I'm wallowing in my own misery, like I can never get out of it. I keep thinking "you need to work to get money for college" but I'm never going to just save up enough money to just up and pay for it! I guess loans scare the shit out of me.

I'm hoping that all my friends being gone will motivate me to actually do something with my sorry excuse for a life.....

</emo-rant>

Sorry guys. :cry:
Phenriz wrote: it was already legless, who wants a paraplegic piano?

Insignificant Deifaction
Small Goddess

Postby Insignificant Deifaction » Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:07 pm UTC

@Khonsu(Yumiko Reedman): Speaking from my very very limited (but still existent, which counts) experience, the best way to handle the situation is to put on the Rambo face-paint courageous face, and be direct with them. It quickly solves problems before they get out of hand. You can either get what you want, or not. But letting it drag on and starting the resolution events (revealing lesbian sexuality) will probably be more painful and unfair to all concerned.

Confession: I'm as happy as could be, but I still have that depressed mindset. It's starting to get on my nerves.
Belial wrote:You are giving me the tools to sodomize my vast imagination, and for this I am grateful.

PM Me, if you care for a chat.

Berengal

Postby Berengal » Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:31 pm UTC

Confession: I like pain.

I feel I should clarify. By "like" I mean the emo way, not the masochist way. By "pain" I mean physical pain caused by exhaustion and battering.

Today I tried to learn how to snowboard. I made some progress, and would feel really great about it if not for the fact that my wrists and my left foot have effectively vetoed any further snowboarding the next few days (I might exclude them from the daily council of body-parts meeting tomorrow if it's nice weather however).

I also had a revelation today.

Revelation: Physical pain is so much worse than any amount of emotional pain you could have. (But it doesn't last nearly as long, and it doesn't pop back suddenly without you knowing about it).
It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students who are motivated by money: As potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration.

Telestia

Postby Telestia » Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:45 pm UTC

Berengal wrote:Revelation: Physical pain is so much worse than any amount of emotional pain you could have. (But it doesn't last nearly as long, and it doesn't pop back suddenly without you knowing about it).

This is where I would have to differ with you. Yeah phsical pain is a bitch, but at least I know what to do about it, how to deal with it. Emotional pain is harder to deal with, it requires the level headed mindset that people dealing with that pain rarely have. At least that my view on it....

Berengal

Postby Berengal » Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:02 pm UTC

You'd recant that if you were lying in a heap, breath knocked out of you through your stomach, head stuck into the snow, wrists ruined and otherwise too exhausted to get up anyway.

Of course, 5 minutes later and that's all forgotten.

litework

Postby litework » Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:33 pm UTC

Berengal wrote:You'd recant that if you were lying in a heap, breath knocked out of you through your stomach, head stuck into the snow, wrists ruined and otherwise too exhausted to get up anyway.

No way...I've been through ALL sorts of physical pain (except chilbirth) and sure it hurts, but NOTHING compares to a broken heart or any other sort of emotional pain that just doesnt want to go away. Or goes away eventually but cuts far deeper (not emo cut, the searing, agonizing cut of heart-wrenching despair) than any sort of physical lesion could.
Question Without Fear

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:35 pm UTC

I also disagree, and I've taken some bad injuries over the years. Physical pain can be shut out, treated, dealt with easily, and the body gets used to it over time. Not so the way of emotional pain.

Reckless

Postby Reckless » Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:38 pm UTC

I completely prefer physical pain over emotional pain. Psychical pain, for me, usually comes with some kind of bonus. First off, I'm a masochist, so when I came home from my summer construction job of shoveling concrete for 8 hours, I felt completely wrecked but in an awesome way. If I've got a broken arm or leg, chances are at least I've got a decent story to go along with it.

Emotional pain is much, much harder to deal with, because large amounts of it seriously messes with my ability to sleep or eat properly.

SilentSigil

Postby SilentSigil » Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:38 pm UTC

Confession:

that is definitely not my definition of masochism *Cough*
Last edited by SilentSigil on Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:42 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Telestia

Postby Telestia » Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:40 pm UTC

Berengal wrote:You'd recant that if you were lying in a heap, breath knocked out of you through your stomach, head stuck into the snow, wrists ruined and otherwise too exhausted to get up anyway.

I broke my tailbone learning to snowboard. Yes, I do know what it's like to be broken and cold on top of that. It sucks but you lie there for a while, just breathing and waiting for the energy to stand back up. You get back up and walk (read: limp) away and go home. You're sore for a few weeks, but you get better.

The brain remembers pain differently than any other sensation. You remember "yeah, that really sucked" but you can't remember how it really felt, while you remember a heartbreak so much better.

@trophy

Postby @trophy » Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:49 pm UTC

@Khonsu: Even those of us who are straight have that fear. And maybe it's just because I live in the buckle of the Bible Belt, but even the straight girls here would at least be flattered that a girl thought they were attractive, and I'd say about 20% of them would give it a shot if they were currently single. So go for it. Fortune favors the bold.

Confession: I feel good today. Really, really good. I had forgotten what that felt like.
Insignificant Deification wrote:Because, sometimes, you've gotta have a taste of vulva

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:58 pm UTC

Further pain things:

I'm carrying a fracture dislocation of my right elbow, from october last year. The pain was (literally) incredible. I remember wondering how I could think enough to wonder how I could hurt so much. It didn't hurt half as much, and was for more bearable than losing the woman I love more than anything in the world. (Got her back though. Yay!)

But the point is, I still can't move my elbow more than five degrees from a right angle. I guarantee that physical pain is well able to pop back in any time, when you least expect it, and fuck you up all over again. It does it to my elbow all the time. But it's still not a patch on emotional pain. And you can't diagnose that with a CT scan, nor fix it up with surgery.
I knew a woman once, but she died soon after.

@trophy

Postby @trophy » Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:06 pm UTC

Dream wrote:Further pain things:

I'm carrying a fracture dislocation of my right elbow, from october last year.

Ouch. I had one of those once. Ended up getting 3 pins put in my elbow and now I have almost complete range of motion but it locks up every once in a while and I have to pull my forearm out to get it to move again. Did you get/are you getting surgery?
Insignificant Deification wrote:Because, sometimes, you've gotta have a taste of vulva

Berengal

Postby Berengal » Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:33 pm UTC

You seem to misunderstand me somewhat. I'm saying that physical pain is worse than emotional pain during the moment of pain. Of course, you get a nice coctail of all-natural drugs injected into your system and a little while later you're on your merry way, a little sore but still smiling (mostly because of aforementioned coctail). Emotional pain is completely different in that unlike most physical pains it tends to linger, and of course:
Telestia wrote:The brain remembers pain differently than any other sensation. You remember "yeah, that really sucked" but you can't remember how it really felt, while you remember a heartbreak so much better.

Not being able to recall what physical pain feels like makes it impossible to say anything about how bad it really is unless you are in physical pain at that moment. Of course there are degrees of hurt, and some heartaches could hurt more than minor bruising. I've had heartaches so bad I'd gladly relive today's minor bruising rather than experience them again, but the funk I've been in lately is nowhere near even the initial exhaustion I felt before the bruises started chiming in at the end of the day.
I wonder what someone who knew what they were getting into would choose if they had to choose between a month in a torture chamber and losing the love of their life. (<-- Serious statement)

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:56 pm UTC

Month in a torture chamber.

While I may not be able to recall pain accurately I remember rating it on the scale (1 being no pain at all, 10 being the worst pain you've ever had in your life).

I can honestly say that emotional pain has consistently scored higher than any physical pain (Despite having had concussions and even a broken rib pushed into my lung at one point).

Aleril
Le Rail

Postby Aleril » Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:00 pm UTC

Confession: I have never been to the hospital. I have never broken a bone, gotten a terrible disease, or anything along those lines. I feel healthy =3

d33p
Happy Fun Ball

Postby d33p » Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:28 pm UTC

Confession: I have not slept since Thursday. It's 13.30 Eastern time, Saturday. I wholeheartedly plan to kidnap Cowboy and drag him to NYC. He just doesn't know it yet.
Parka wrote:I assume this is yours. I don't know anyone else who would put "kill a bear" on a list.

litework

Postby litework » Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:05 pm UTC

Berengal wrote:I wonder what someone who knew what they were getting into would choose if they had to choose between a month in a torture chamber and losing the love of their life. (<-- Serious statement)

Torture chamber, hands down. At least I haven't done THAT yet, the other pain I know very, very well.
Question Without Fear

Return to “General”