Confessional Shed - I'll keep a look-out

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Nimz

Re: Confessional Thread - Can't Please the Cheese

Postby Nimz » Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:53 pm UTC

aeki wrote:
Nebulae wrote:Hmm, I really want to become a computer geek too, but I have no idea where to start.

Confession: I don't even know enough about it to know what I need to learn

I cannot recommend David Macaulay's The Way Things Work enough. It starts with explanations of basic mechanical principles, then shows how those principles are put together to make complicated machinery. There's a lot of information about electricity, light, sound, magnetism, etc. and how that works for basically every type of modern machine in existence, plus it's all explained using mammoths! I had a copy of this book while I was growing up found it immensely valuable once I realized there was more to it than the mammoths.

There's a newer version out and it has a bit more explanation about computer geekery than the old one, explaining the basics of the internet as well as the low-level hardware like processors and memory.
I had that book years ago. I LOVED that book! Don't know what happened to my copy, though. I liked the "theories of extinction", e.g. the garden-hose experiment (vertical take-off). And the chapter illustrations, like God, setting the rotation speed of Earth - "Whoops, too fast!" - were pretty sweet, too.

I grabbed that quote from 18 pages ago. I was farther behind on this thread than that, but I'm all caught up now (sort of). I still haven't gotten around to reading the ~ middle 200 pages. The posts around page 100 started getting very depressing. One of these days I'm going to get around to reading the rest of the thread, but I'm not going to let myself get behind on this end. In fact, that kind of leads me to my real confession, since I wasn't going to post it until I got caught up on this end of the thread. This is what I would have posted a week ago if I had been caught up with the thread:

I've got over 40 digits of pi memorised, but I can't remember my Student ID Number with only 5 nontrivial digits (the previous SID# I was assigned was 9 digits, which were quickly memorised. No clue why the SID# assignments got changed.). I was trying to access my uni's library from off-campus, but I couldn't because I didn't remember my SID#. And the uni's website is annoying, to put it mildly. I registerred for my courses this quarter using my SID# about 10 weeks ago because I was able to find my new # from my old # and password. The link to that system is now broken. They were unable to get me my new SID# at the ID card center, even with my ID card! Thank God I had the foresight to print out something that had my new # on it when I reg'd for my courses. Otherwise I'd be totally screwed for next quarter.

I seem to have finally memorised my new SID# after using it several times this past week. Still, annoying.
LOWA

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Re: Confessional Thread - Now with a new idiot!

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:58 pm UTC

I'd just skip those 200 pages. For every "I still go back to him, if only for the drugs" confession, there's 800 "Confession: I just farted tee hee" ones.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:03 pm UTC

Confession: I have PI memorised to 50 digits because of the PI song :-/

Then I keep forgetting the next 3 or so digits, I think after 7510 is 5 maybe? Then something, then a 494459 that's when the first Pi-Verse of the song stops. The last Pi-Verse goes forever though.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

|Erasmus|
Branson

Postby |Erasmus| » Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:13 pm UTC

i've memorised my student id number, by bank account and online banking login id, my tax file number, credit card number and license number. and i've never -tried- to remember most of them.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:15 pm UTC

|Erasmus| wrote:i've memorised my student id number, by bank account and online banking login id, my tax file number, credit card number and license number. and i've never -tried- to remember most of them.

That is the same with the PI song and my Student ID number.

Confession: I don't use those other things...
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

Torvaun

Re: Confessional Thread - Now with a newt idol!

Postby Torvaun » Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:28 pm UTC

Goatboy wrote:
Cheese wrote:That's not the only thing I'm angry about, and I don't think I'd be able to make myself kill a kitten - I could try and start a discussion on why we kill flies but not kittens, but can't think of anything to say about it.
It's a simple progression: flies->spiders->birds->kittens. Except we're not talking about zoophagy, are we? So [/Renfield]

Fly->Spider->Bird->Cat->Dog->Horse->Old Lady?
Hawknc wrote:I don't know if you've never heard of trolling, or if you're just very good at it.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:31 pm UTC

Torvaun wrote:
Goatboy wrote:
Cheese wrote:That's not the only thing I'm angry about, and I don't think I'd be able to make myself kill a kitten - I could try and start a discussion on why we kill flies but not kittens, but can't think of anything to say about it.
It's a simple progression: flies->spiders->birds->kittens. Except we're not talking about zoophagy, are we? So [/Renfield]

Fly->Spider->Bird->Cat->Dog->Horse->Old Lady?

-> Grue
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

Aluminus

Postby Aluminus » Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:40 pm UTC

What eats Grues?
fyrenwater wrote:Oh dear God, I just imagined this horrible scenario of a psychotic non-people-person running around, trying to steal the people-person section of people-peoples' brains to implant into their own brain.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:47 pm UTC

Nothing.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Dr. Canadian Ninja

Postby Dr. Canadian Ninja » Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:54 pm UTC

Gelsamel wrote:Confession: I have PI memorised to 50 digits because of the PI song :-/

Then I keep forgetting the next 3 or so digits, I think after 7510 is 5 maybe? Then something, then a 494459 that's when the first Pi-Verse of the song stops. The last Pi-Verse goes forever though.

I learned the same through a different Pi song, in which it turns pi into a mnemonic up to 093993.

Confession: I learn a lot by way of mnemonics. I can name 80% of countries thanks to Animaniacs and all the elements of the periodic table thanks to Tom Lehrer.
Confession (?): I came up with a new ending for The Elements because there were more named elements since then.
SecondTalon wrote:Know what I hate? The complete lack of electric bass guitar in Baroque stuff. I mean, come on!

McLovin

Postby McLovin » Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:16 pm UTC

Dr. Canadian Ninja wrote:Confession: I learn a lot by way of mnemonics. I can name 80% of countries thanks to Animaniacs and all the elements of the periodic table thanks to Tom Lehrer.

United States, Canada, Mexico, Panama, Haiti, Jamaica, Peru...DAMNIT. Now I'll be singing that all day :(

Confession: I once hucked an open bottle of Dr. Pepper into the passenger's window of a moving mini-van. I used to be a bad, bad person.

Dr. Canadian Ninja

Postby Dr. Canadian Ninja » Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:23 pm UTC

Harmonixer wrote:
Dr. Canadian Ninja wrote:Confession: I learn a lot by way of mnemonics. I can name 80% of countries thanks to Animaniacs and all the elements of the periodic table thanks to Tom Lehrer.

United States, Canada, Mexico, Panama, Haiti, Jamaica, Peru...DAMNIT. Now I'll be singing that all day :(

Republic Dominican, Cuba, Caribbean, I've passed the virus to you~
SecondTalon wrote:Know what I hate? The complete lack of electric bass guitar in Baroque stuff. I mean, come on!

wery67564

Postby wery67564 » Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:28 pm UTC

I fall for traps wayyy too easily.
To exist is to resist.

Nimz

Postby Nimz » Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:28 pm UTC

Whoops - I forgot to throw this quote in with my last post.
Knucklecallus093 wrote:
Cheese wrote:Confession: I am waay too angry at the moment... I'm keeping it under control fine, but it can't be good to have so much bottled up inside - I need a way to release stress...

You could go for a hike... literally. When the sun is out, go walk in pure nature. Not just around the block, or around a road. Pack up a comfortable rucksack with some cheese, bread, apple, and a water bottle, maybe a jacket (to sit on), and a really really good book. It doesn't have to be 1984, deep in meaning, but something that is uplifting and pleasant to read.
Wouldn't that be cannibalism?

I mentioned the pi and SID# thing because I thought it was pretty lame to not be able to remember such a short string of digits.
|Erasmus| wrote:i've memorised my student id number, by bank account and online banking login id, my tax file number, credit card number and license number. and i've never -tried- to remember most of them.

My old SID#, my bank account number, my tax file number, and my license number I can likewise rattle off without a problem. I haven't memorised my credit card number yet, but then, I haven't used it that much yet, either.

I don't remember the geography song very well, though I can remember most of the countries of the world if I thought about it. Animaniacs was a great show. The song I remember is about a certain high-elevation lake in South America. Hint: It's right between Bolivia and Peru.
LOWA

Aleril
Le Rail

Postby Aleril » Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:42 pm UTC

wery67564 wrote:I fall for traps wayyy too easily.

You should listen to Admiral Ackbar more.

Aluminus

Re: Confessional Thread - Titles, they are a-changin

Postby Aluminus » Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:46 pm UTC

Nice new title.
fyrenwater wrote:Oh dear God, I just imagined this horrible scenario of a psychotic non-people-person running around, trying to steal the people-person section of people-peoples' brains to implant into their own brain.

joeframbach

Postby joeframbach » Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:54 pm UTC

Are we talking about memorizing numbers now?

I don't know why. I don't even try to. I see a number, and a month later some number will pop in my head and I'll try to figure out where the hell I saw that number before.

Confession: I have a sickness. I memorize every number I see. I remember the phone number of some girl I met online 7 years ago and haven't talked to in 6. I remember the address of a house I lived in 15 years ago. I know my mom's, dad's, brother's and my own SSN and cell phone numbers. My own driver's license number, and the 10-digit ID number that the school doesn't use for anything.

Aleril
Le Rail

Postby Aleril » Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:09 pm UTC

joeframbach wrote:Confession: I have a sickness. I memorize every number I see. I remember the phone number of some girl I met online 7 years ago and haven't talked to in 6. I remember the address of a house I lived in 15 years ago. I know my mom's, dad's, brother's and my own SSN and cell phone numbers. My own driver's license number, and the 10-digit ID number that the school doesn't use for anything.

I think this applies to me... sort of. I come to remember most of the phone numbers that I find, but few else. Also, I only know pi to 3.14159.

Why call it a sickness?

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:11 pm UTC

I also have a sickness. It's some sort of virus, or maybe a bacterium. Probably just a cold. Might be strep, we'll see in a few days if it becomes strep or not.
It sucks, and it makes me feel like crap.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

Leesam

Postby Leesam » Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:16 pm UTC

Confession: One of my cats is afraid of apples.
A Trusted Friend in Science.

felltir
has a sniper scope and a trigger finger.

Postby felltir » Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:45 pm UTC

Confession: I really really need alchohol. And I can't have any! :evil:
Spoiler:
RoadieRich wrote:He's a super flexible furry martial artist from London. She is a Rabbit breeding mad scientist from Michigan. They fight crime!
The Great Hippo wrote:I THINK THE SOLAR SYSTEM MIGHT BE AN ATOM OF OXYGEN.

Blog

he/him/his

Artemisia

Postby Artemisia » Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:48 pm UTC

why not? had a bit too much on st patrick's day, and need to calm down your liver?
This too shall pass

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:59 pm UTC

Bah, no matter what the catholics say, today's St Patrick's day.
secular definitions out weigh catholisism.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

El Senor Fruit Swing

Postby El Senor Fruit Swing » Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:22 pm UTC

confession:
If my employer finds a way to legally weasel out of paying for my hospital bill I'm royally screwed.
Raiku wrote: Oh, I 'Falcon Punched' a tree for the hell of it, and it's still quite bloody...

Cheese
and spam. (Euggh)

Postby Cheese » Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:24 pm UTC

Confession: I made the really, really bad joke today...:

"What did the heavily accented policeman say to the burglar?"
Spoiler:
..."Irish Stew".

I told you it sucked...
hermaj wrote:No-one. Will. Be. Taking. Cheese's. Spot.
Spoiler:
LE4dGOLEM wrote:Cheese is utterly correct on all fronts.
SecondTalon wrote:That thing that Cheese just said. Do that.
Meaux_Pas wrote:I hereby disagree and declare Cheese to be brilliant.

koneko

Postby koneko » Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:37 pm UTC

i was all about the presidents song mesself
george washington was the first you see, he once chopped down a cherry tree...
ImageImage

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:39 pm UTC

George washington was first and he was perfect... (Jonathan coulton's presidents song is awesome).

ekzrated

Postby ekzrated » Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:00 pm UTC

Confession: I love more than one girl.
I'M MY OWN CASE-STUDY!!!!!!

felltir

Postby felltir » Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:05 pm UTC

Artemisia wrote:why not? had a bit too much on st patrick's day, and need to calm down your liver?

I wish! I'm just in need of cheering.

Gharbad wrote:George washington was first and he was perfect... (Jonathan coulton's presidents song is awesome).

Carter lusted in his heart for penis..
Spoiler:
RoadieRich wrote:He's a super flexible furry martial artist from London. She is a Rabbit breeding mad scientist from Michigan. They fight crime!

Blog

he/him/his

Rogue5_jm

Postby Rogue5_jm » Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:12 pm UTC

ekzrated wrote:Confession: I love more than one girl.

I hate when that happens.

ekzrated

Postby ekzrated » Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:16 pm UTC

Rogue5_jm wrote:I hate when that happens.
Especially when they're sort of related...

Artemisia

Postby Artemisia » Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:19 pm UTC

sorry for not knowing st patrick's day is actually today. Im not catholic nor british. I usually know what bank holidays are about, at least in my home country that is ;) I did know there were a lot of festivities going on in Central London yesterday, and I figured Felltir had too much of zhe booze while celebrating.

@Felltir: booze does not provide cheering, it just hides the feeling you need it. what COULD help is a HUG! or monty pyton.
This too shall pass

Torvaun

Postby Torvaun » Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:25 pm UTC

Confession: I might love a girl. I'm not actually sure, I'm rather new to the whole thing, and I'm having a hell of a time finding anything approaching consistency in definitions.
Hawknc wrote:I don't know if you've never heard of trolling, or if you're just very good at it.

felltir

Postby felltir » Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:30 pm UTC

Artemisia wrote:sorry for not knowing st patrick's day is actually today. Im not catholic nor british. I usually know what bank holidays are about, at least in my home country that is ;) I did know there were a lot of festivities going on in Central London yesterday, and I figured Felltir had too much of zhe booze while celebrating.

@Felltir: booze does not provide cheering, it just hides the feeling you need it. what COULD help is a HUG! or monty pyton.

Hence my addiction to the hugs thread.
Spoiler:

Blog

he/him/his

NMcCoy

Postby NMcCoy » Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:36 pm UTC

Torvaun wrote:Confession: I might love a girl. I'm not actually sure, I'm rather new to the whole thing, and I'm having a hell of a time finding anything approaching consistency in definitions.

I have so been there, friend. Limerence is a strange critter indeed. Just trust yourself and you'll come to your own understanding, which will be more clear for you than any definition possibly could be.

ekzrated

Postby ekzrated » Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:36 pm UTC

It's St. Patrick's day today? Huh.

Anyway...

Confession: I don't care much for holidays anymore.

Leesam

Postby Leesam » Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:48 pm UTC

Confession: I can't stop making bad decisions. (stayed up till 2:30am last night Partying. Woke up for work at 5:30)
A Trusted Friend in Science.

benjhuey

Postby benjhuey » Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:14 pm UTC

Aluminus wrote:Nice new title.
Are they talking about me?
Same here, only i don't think any of them love me back.

Confession: I went to school on Senior Skip Day. It was so pointless. None of the teachers did anything since only 60% of the students were there [several of the bands took a trip to New York City so we were already missing quite a few people].

Confessionn+1: I'm going to a funeral over Spring Break. Yay... :(

Confessionn+2: I need me some more Brawl but have no idea when I'll get it next.
多么现在棕色母牛?

Artemisia

Postby Artemisia » Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:16 pm UTC

Leesam: If you'd said "stayed up till 2:30 worrying about stuff" I would have agreed, because staying up for worries is a *bad idea*. However, partying contributes to being happy with your life, which can never be a bad decision. However, make sure you do take good aftercare of your body so drinking lots of water is good, and sleep early tonight.

That last piece of advice would be great for me too. I have a whole month off (!!) and I went to bed at 6:30 am this morning. Despite that I could sleep in, sleeping during the day is not really healthy, andI feel crappy.
This too shall pass

ThorFluff
Ursus Onanis

Postby ThorFluff » Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:04 pm UTC

Z.A.K wrote:Time to start a different sect!

With the addition of Love-everyone-who-isn't-an-asshole!

*facepalm*
inb4 holy war.
DEATH TO THE NON-BELIEVERS!!!

Also it made in insanely proud that if you google the True Faith (;)), you get a post made by me.
EsotericWombat wrote:You're... calling the Rolling Stones emo.

It might take a while to gather the lynch mob. no one really planned against this eventuality.

krynd wrote:That'd make an awesome sig. Unfortunately, I'm sure self-sigging isn't allowed...

Return to “General”