Rickrolling incidents and YOU.

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Magistrates, Prelates, Moderators General

Rickrolling incidents and YOU.

Postby shadowboy » Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:41 pm UTC

I went to the nearby mall to get tuxedo measurements for an upcoming wedding.

As I entered the mall, "Never gonna give you up" was playing.
shadowboy

Re: I got Rickrolled yesterday.

Postby Dr. Canadian Ninja » Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:48 pm UTC

Time Warner. I got rickrolled by Time Fucking Warner.

I'm not sure if it counts, as I clicked Play Related Video knowing entirely what it would link to, but one does not expect rickrolling in a poll.
SecondTalon wrote:Know what I hate? The complete lack of electric bass guitar in Baroque stuff. I mean, come on!
Dr. Canadian Ninja

Postby zomgmouse » Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:15 pm UTC

Isn't it technically only Rickrolling if you were expecting something else? Not if you
A. Didn't even know there was going to be something or
B. You knew it was Rickroll?
"Alf Todd," said Ukridge, soaring to an impressive burst of imagery, "has about as much chance as a one-armed blind man in a dark room trying to shove a pound of melted butter into a wild cat's left ear with a red-hot needle." P.G. Wodehouse
zomgmouse

Postby MFHodge » Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:34 pm UTC

Surely this event does not justify an entire thread.
MFHodge

How to rickroll anyone (in person only)

Postby Random832 » Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:49 pm UTC

Today, I (well, I actually didn't, but supposing I did. I may later when the opportunity arises) call my brother over to the computer, to show him something cool I'd found on the youtube. The title fit with what I said I was going to show him, as did the related videos and comments, so he suspected nothing.

But, little did he know, I had, before calling him over, secretly replaced the video player embed with one whose parameters were set to show a Rick Astley video.

Bookmarklet:
Code: Select all
javascript:var div = document.getElementById('watch-player-div'); div.innerHTML = div.innerHTML.replace(/flashvars="[^"]*"/,'flashvars="video_id=oHg5SJYRHA0&t=OEgsToPDskLkqjtJ8sRiPIbzViXkFzbl"');void 0

The flashvars parameter is taken from having looked at the actual rickroll video earlier in the day. It can be trimmed down to (as shown) video_id and t only, but it's not necessary, and can simply be pasted into the source.
Random832

Re: How to rickroll anyone (in person only)

Postby Unicyclist » Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:58 pm UTC

I wouldn't consider it the same. Just showing the video to somebody doesn't compare to tricking them into watching it themselves.
don't plow that beautiful field!
Unicyclist

Postby Nightshade » Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:04 am UTC

Random832 wrote:But, little did he know,
Did you say "little did he know"?? That changes everything!
Nougat wrote:Yeah, that thing you enjoyed? You should do that more often.
Nightshade
Covered in bees!

Postby serrath » Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:10 am UTC

Or just run XAMPP from your computer to host a quick redirect to a rickroll video and start messing with people's HOSTS file to make 'google.com' go to your IP, which would then bounce nicely to your YouTube Rickroll.
serrath

Postby Random832 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:12 pm UTC

Unicyclist wrote:I wouldn't consider it the same. Just showing the video to somebody doesn't compare to tricking them into watching it themselves.

But the thing about this is, they can look as closely as they want at the rest of their page, inspecting everything at their leisure, and there is absolutely no evidence that the video is a rickroll until they press play.
Random832

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:31 pm UTC

My favorite way to Rickroll someone.

First, I invite the meat over to my house for a little gaming.. maybe some Mario Party, maybe the Balder's Gate game on the PS2.. hell, Monopoly or Roborally.. whatever. We sit around and play said games for a bit, and eventually I, on the way to get myself a drink, offer to grab the meat one as well, as I'm already up. When they say yes, I get the meat whatever.. but I add in a secret ingredient..

Once the meat's passed out, I drag them into the bathroom and strip them down. I do the same to myself, and put on a raincoat. I fire up a chainsaw and dismember the body completely and use pliers to remove the teeth, then pack up the remains in garbage bags, and put all of that in to a larger garbage bag, along with the meat's clothing minus their identification. I wash down the bathroom completely and take a shower myself. I throw the meat in to the back of their car, and drive for seven and a half hours in a random direction. Along the way, I purchase a little gasoline in a portable container. Once I've arrived in a suitable location in the middle of nowhere (often across state lines) I rip off the car's VIN and license plate, then set fire to the whole thing.

Once I return home, I grind the teeth into dust and bury that a couple of hours in a different random direction, and burn the identification. The license plate and VIN I attack with an anvil and hammer, and use the metal to build a computer case. I put the various components needed to have an operation computer inside my new case, and cruise down the road where the meat used to live, using the new computer to blast "Never Gonna Give You Up" by Rick Astley.

Fuck Rickrolls.
"When Archie is too progressive for you, that's how science identifies you as an earlier species" - Luke McKinney, Cracked.com

Honestly, if you're talking BBQ and 'a guy in a parking lot' isn't part of the conversation, something's wrong."
SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby DJorgensen » Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:42 pm UTC

wow. epic. :shock:
Remind me to never to accept drinks if I visit your house.
trap: a device in which something (usually an animal) can be caught and penned.
DJorgensen

Postby Quadropus » Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:24 pm UTC

Remind me to accept drinks if I visit your house.

"If I go insane, please don't put your wires in my brain"
Quadropus

Postby Moo » Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:26 pm UTC

So... you guys plan on visiting his house??
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Postby SoapyHobo » Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:24 pm UTC

Only if all of us turn up and we can do some sort of Russian Roulette type thing.
Jack Saladin wrote:Goddamn that's an awesome ****, Soapy. Once they get around to making artificial **** and I replace my crappy original ones, I'm gonna make mine look like that.
SoapyHobo
Soap. It's, uhh, not actually that good

Postby wst » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:23 pm UTC

SoapyHobo wrote:Only if all of us turn up and we can do some sort of Russian Roulette type thing.

Apparently there's actually a type of russian roulette that uses a fully-automatic weapon, and a pole-dancing-pole.
It involves everyone in the room. Last one lefts gets the keys to the door.
"If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands." - Douglas Adams
wst

Postby Mystify » Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:42 pm UTC

You just got Rick Rolled! In person no less :)

M
You're eternally wild with the power
To make every moment come alive
Mystify

Postby Shizo » Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:54 pm UTC

If I saw someone wearing that I'd punch them in the face. Repeatedly. Most of the anger would be at myself, though, for getting rickrolled by a shirt.
Shizo

Postby AngrySquirrel » Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:03 pm UTC

I got rickrolled on the bus today.
Was heading home from town in a cramped bus, and they started playing that song. Suddently the guy in front of me turns around and starts dancing while singing along. I'm now scarred for life... :cry:
The way to a man's heart goes through his ribcage. Screaming "KALIMA KALIMA" also helps.
AngrySquirrel
Eats nuts for breakfast...

Postby Avram » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:25 pm UTC

I wanna rick roll everybody at a poetry reading.
Avram

Postby sleepygamer » Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:08 pm UTC

How do you get rid of an idiot?

Tell him to play Russian Roulette with a semi-automatic, and convince him to go first. :lol:

I only got that joke when I turned 9. >.>
phlip wrote:sleepy, the only thing you're worse at is being not awesome.*
*All links to be treated as NFSW.
sleepygamer
More metal than thou

Postby Blubb3r3ng3l » Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:40 pm UTC

Seven wrote:
Random832 wrote:But, little did he know,
Did you say "little did he know"?? That changes everything!

ps not lost on me.
Let us a little permit Nature to take her own way; she understands Her own affairs better than we ~ Montaigne
embarrass the hell out of me
The only emotion ducks can feel is hate. -__Kit
Blubb3r3ng3l

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:33 am UTC

I'm inviting everyone in this thread to my house for a gaming night. Drinks are on me!

I'm at 8213 West Summerdale Avenue, Norwood Park Illinois (Just outside of Chicago)
"When Archie is too progressive for you, that's how science identifies you as an earlier species" - Luke McKinney, Cracked.com

Honestly, if you're talking BBQ and 'a guy in a parking lot' isn't part of the conversation, something's wrong."
SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby Midnight » Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:54 am UTC

i was musically rickrolled the other day.

someone told me "actually, i DO have Sensual Seduction (by snoop dogg) on my iPod"---

then ANDREW W.K. blasted into my ears, with his song about how WE ALL HAVE A RIGHT TO PARTY PARTY PARTY PARTY ALL NIGHT YEAH!

in heavy metal tones.
uhhhh fuck.
Midnight

Postby bouv » Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:26 am UTC

I've decided I'm going to REALLY Rickroll people in real life. It would go as follows:

Friend: Hey, do you know about [insert thing here they want to know about]?

Me: Yeah, I read about that online.

Friend: Oh?

Me: Yeah, it seems..."I'm never gonna GIVE YOU UP! Never gonna LET YOU DOWN!"
bouv

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:47 pm UTC

Midnight wrote:i was musically rickrolled the other day.
someone told me "actually, i DO have Sensual Seduction (by snoop dogg) on my iPod"---
then ANDREW W.K. blasted into my ears, with his song about how WE ALL HAVE A RIGHT TO PARTY PARTY PARTY PARTY ALL NIGHT YEAH!
in heavy metal tones.

If I'm not mistaken, by definition that's not a Rickroll as it does not involve Rick Astley. Perhaps an Andrewroll. Or Partyroll.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

I rickrolled about 150 people today

Postby wing » Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:30 am UTC

The scene: School. Someone in the student government decided that it'd be a cool pre-finals-week stressbreaker to do Karaoke in the eatery.

The students on this campus are exceptionally disconnected, and are impossible to motivate to do anything fun. So the SGA president is on stage when we get there, singing some horrible song or other. She then opens the stage to all comers - and of course nobody is at all interested. She spots us standing in the back. She knows that we're a group on campus that actually does shit. We're invited up on stage.

The four of us climb up on stage. "What song, guys?" "We brought our own, thanks" as we swap the CDs in the player.

The song starts, Ray Ban Wayfarers come out, and instantly the nerdy types in the room start cracking up.

Around this time, we all discover that none of us really know the dance, which makes it even more hilarious.

A couple phrases into the song, cell phone cameras start coming out. Other cameras come out. The world grinds to a terrible, terrible halt and there's a lot of staring. Some blank stares, some stares-in-awe, some stares filled with hatred.

We totally nailed the song. It was awesome.
I AM A SEXY, SHOELESS GOD OF WAR!
Akula wrote:Our team has turned into this hate-fueled juggernaut of profit. It's goddamn wonderful.
wing
the /b/slayer

Re: I rickrolled about 150 people today

Postby Robin S » Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:41 am UTC

Congratulations! I can't tell you how disappointed I am that the Rickrolling phenomenon started after I finished secondary school.

Video post to YouTube is a must, even if large numbers of other people have doubtless done it before you.
This is a placeholder until I think of something more creative to put here.
Robin S

Postby wing » Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:45 am UTC

High school? This is collegiate rickrolling.

And unfortunately, we did not have video equipment available as we were operating on rather short notice.
Akula wrote:Our team has turned into this hate-fueled juggernaut of profit. It's goddamn wonderful.
wing
the /b/slayer

Postby Robin S » Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:53 am UTC

Sorry, I always get thrown by the use of the word "school" to describe what I think of as university, or possibly college.

If people took out cameras, chances are fair that someone will have video'd it.
Robin S

Postby akashra » Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:23 am UTC

No, no, no!
This is not Rickrolling!

Nor is getting "Never gonna give you up" played on some big screen in public.
( find / -name \*base\* -exec chown us : us { } \ ; )
akashra

Postby wing » Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:30 am UTC

akashra wrote:No, no, no!
This is not Rickrolling!

Nor is getting "Never gonna give you up" played on some big screen in public.

Okay. The purist definition is swapping internet links around. BFDeal. Everyone expects that shit these days. Hell, everyone has expected that since Goatse was invented by Al Gore shortly after he invented the Internet.

However, in public, nobody expects it. And they're typically a more captive audience. On the Internet, you can just close the window or tab. In real life, you actually have to... do something. This less pure definition allows for significantly more spreading of the joys of Rick Astley than simple internet "pranks.
wing
the /b/slayer

Postby akashra » Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:44 am UTC

Oh reaaalllly?

[link removed]

24 hour ban issued. Anyone else think they might have a shot? There are more where that came from.
( find / -name \*base\* -exec chown us : us { } \ ; )
akashra

Postby Miles Invictus » Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:13 am UTC

akashra wrote:http://www.brimur.com/PicardVersusKirk.jpg

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15874
Miles Invictus

Postby Grady » Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:27 am UTC

akashra wrote:Oh reaaalllly?

Uhhhh... Yeahhhh... I had like 15 tabs open and I can't restore session because it'll also restore that tab.
Thanks man.

On topic, that is pretty awesome, is it just me or does the internet seem to be leaking into the public lately?
Gamercard may be slightly inaccurate due to the fact that my xbox is not always connected to the internet.
Grady

Postby wing » Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:47 am UTC

Yes, the Internet is leaking into public. This is a good thing. Most of the "Real World" is stuck up, dry, and boring and needs some amusement. Whether the source is the Internet, or otherwise, such random acts are a positive thing.

Also, wtf. You should totally know better than to click a link that doesn't even look remotely related to the topic at hand - especially when the topic at hand is the proper medium for a rickroll and the post contains no further discussion of the topic.

Not that this is any sort of excuse for breaking the no-questions-asked ban rule, but some common sense goes a long way.

Also, a further FYI: When you have an objectionable tab like that open preventing a proper session restore, just drop your network connection before doing a restore session. Everything will show up unresolveable, so you can just close the stupid tab.
wing
the /b/slayer

Postby antonfire » Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:03 am UTC

Back on topic, here's youtube video of the event: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBGIQ7ZuuiU.
Jerry Bona wrote:The Axiom of Choice is obviously true; the Well Ordering Principle is obviously false; and who can tell about Zorn's Lemma?
antonfire

Postby kgirl06 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:39 am UTC

I created an account just to admit that I just got legitimately Rick Rolled. That was quite unexpected, even though given the topic at hand, I should have been expecting it.

Kudos.
My cat says μ.

English lurks in dark alleyways, beats up other languages, and rifles through their pockets for spare vocabulary.
kgirl06

Postby Dobblesworth » Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:03 am UTC

I think the ideal way to Rickroll at a karaoke session, is to first rig a CD that simulates the "ooh what's this... oh wait it's Rick Astley" thought when clicking the links online.

Take a track everyone knows and loves, whether it be some generic rap, R&B or a bit of timeless rock-n-roll/pop music. Enough to get the non-geek/non-'connected' crowd up on the floor waving and cheering. Approximately 30 seconds into that song of your choice, skip track to Rick Astley - this could be perfected by merging two mp3's into one file, so there is a seamless transition, or a manual approach could be taken.

I think it would only be truly rickroll'ing a crowd, if you had a bunch of you up on stage, singing the first few lyrics of something popular, sincere like Robbie William's Angels, and THEN jump into Never Gonna Give You Up - with accompanying dynamic costume change and "You Got Rickroll'd" placards.
Position vacant: new signature. No experience necessary, apply within.
User title GET.
Dobblesworth
Dobblesworth, here's the title you requested over three years ago. -Banana

Postby Robin S » Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:10 am UTC

I'm not sure whether it would be funnier if the drum roll merged seamlessly from one song to the other so that the audience only realized it was a Rickroll a few seconds in, or if the drum roll was completely out of the blue. Both would be pretty hilarious, but I'm tempted to say the second.
Robin S

Postby Freakish » Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:36 pm UTC

Proud to say I've never been Rick Rolled :D
Freakish Inc. We completely understand the public’s concern about futuristic robots feeding on the human population
Freakish

Next

Return to General