The Questions Thread

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

no-genius
Seemed like a good idea at the time

Postby no-genius » Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:06 pm UTC

lyworm wrote:
lani wrote:Does anybody want to play Questions?

The excerpt from the play rocked.

Why do I so enjoy quoting a post that's in the way beginning of the thread and no one has made any mention of since?

I was going to reply, but I thought she'd say she'd already started. that would suck, and i would be left a sad panda
I don't sing, I just shout. All. On. One. Note.
Official ironmen you are free, champions officially

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:Why? It does nothing to address dance music's core problem: the fact that it sucks.

lyworm

Postby lyworm » Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:06 pm UTC

lani wrote:
lyworm wrote:

Why do I so enjoy quoting a post that's in the way beginning of the thread and no one has made any mention of since?

That play - and the movie - just freaking rock. :)

The part that sucks about living in the middle of nowhere is that even in the big cities there is absolutely no chance of getting plays like these, and even in the biggest of the video stores around I would have a hard time finding this movie.

:(
Meow.

Detritus

Postby Detritus » Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:52 am UTC

Okay. Why can't I post on my computer? It gives me an "invalid session" error when I try.

If I want to get my sister a Stone Temple Pilots album for her birthday, which should I choose?

no-genius wrote:
lyworm wrote:

I was going to reply, but I thought she'd say she'd already started. that would suck, and i would be left a sad panda

Why didn't you just reply with a question?
Then I thought, "Man, I should have just said 'yeah.' "

German Sausage
3 of 5

Postby German Sausage » Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:22 am UTC

who can say?
<bakemaster> Only German Sausage can prevent forest fires
<felstaff> Hype is like a giant disappointment ray aimed squarely at the finished article.
<watson> Treat me like a criminal, Holmes!
TMT4L

Vandole

Postby Vandole » Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:42 am UTC

Yeah, immersion is pretty cool. I actually dropped out of it after grade 4 to go to a "gifted" class. I consider that a mistake, since as a whole the immersion group seems smarter, nicer and more sociable. Plus, I love speaking a second language, since I'm a huge language nerd. Unfortunately my area doesn't even offer immersion past grade 10: In grade 11 it drops to just an advanced french class and the rest in english.

If the temperature of a pot of coffee is 30 degrees Celsius and a hawk is bearing down on a bird's nest at 32.6 degrees, what is the Canadian province in which Vancouver is located? (Blatantly stolen from Dresden Codak just to claim I asked a question)

German Sausage
3 of 5

Postby German Sausage » Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:48 am UTC

i dont know, but most of vancouver is probably looking for someone to make a cup of coffee that isn't cold.
<bakemaster> Only German Sausage can prevent forest fires
<felstaff> Hype is like a giant disappointment ray aimed squarely at the finished article.
<watson> Treat me like a criminal, Holmes!
TMT4L

Lani
Has Boobs (Probably)

Postby Lani » Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:07 am UTC

Detritus wrote:If I want to get my sister a Stone Temple Pilots album for her birthday, which should I choose?

Purple is generally regarded to be best of them. Tiny Music... and Core are close behind.

(Purple is one of the first albums I ever bought, and still one of my all-time favorites)
- Lani

"They think they're so high and mighty, just because they never got caught driving without pants."

Spectre
Assimilation & Processing

Postby Spectre » Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:57 pm UTC

I think I made a post in the Telephone thread, but it seems to have been deleted. :|

Either that or when I posted it, I hit the "Go back to the forum" button, which is entirely possible.

And since no one's PM'd me about it, I'll assume the latter.

I'm tired.

And I suppose that wasn't really an embarassing question was it?
I wandered through the weird and lurid landscape of another planet...

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Mon Mar 19, 2007 2:14 pm UTC

Back on topic:
If high school is supposed to be the "best time of your life," and it sucks, does this mean I have nothing to look forward to?

High school is suffering. Anyone who tells you different is selling something.

No, but seriously, High School can be fun, but it's *far* from the best time of your life. Especially if your home life kindof sucks. It is *much* more fun to escape your family and go live on your own, set your own schedule, do whatever you want.

I don't know why people bandy that "best time of your life" bullshit about. That depressed me intensely when I was in high school, and it turns out it's a total fucking lie.

You have plenty to look forward to.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

Daem0hn

Postby Daem0hn » Mon Mar 19, 2007 2:25 pm UTC

i loved high school, but i love uni more :D the freedom of uni is great, the (relative) challenge of uni is awesome, its a lot better than high school, I'll go as far as guaranteeing that you will enjoy it more, and if you don't, i will send you a packet of your favorite Australian chocolate :P

question: If i can get AUD$75,000 starting salary living in perth, australia, but really dont like the lifestyle, is it worth moving to christchurch nz (where i love the lifestyle) but only earning AUD$40,000?

what i really need is a web-based method of making money......a site, that does stuff, and gets me advertising revenue......hmm
01 01 was a race horse, 10 10 was 01 10, 01 01 01 01 race, 10 10 01 01 10

-- Mike (19/Male)

athelas
A Sophisticated Plagiarism Engine

Postby athelas » Mon Mar 19, 2007 2:57 pm UTC

In my totally uninformed opinion (IMTUO?), assuming you're relatively young, it's probably better to take the job that'll look great on your resume (presumably the higher-paying one), at least for a few years. After you've accumulated experience and contacts, it will be much easier to find a place where the lifestyle is to your liking.

Kin

Postby Kin » Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:28 pm UTC

Daemon I would have to recommend not to take recommendation. We've not got any basis of terms and such, and your history.

Granted, the most important thing is that you do not hate your job. Hateing your job/lifestyle is not a good idea. So, if you can afford to only have 40,000 then on basis of no other information I would recommend that. Granted, having no other information, I've not got a clue if it'd be possible to branch off from the 75,000 job once you feel ready.

aisling
Has (underage) boobs

Postby aisling » Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:29 pm UTC

I like highschool.. Am I wierd?

Alisto
Crazy like a BOX!

Postby Alisto » Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:39 pm UTC

aisling wrote:I like highschool.. Am I wierd?

Yes. But so did I. "If you're not weird, you're boring."

What's the timeline for menstruation starting from the day the girl gets really bad cramps?
Bad grammar makes me [sic].
Crazy like a BOX!
<Jauss> Because karaoke, especially karaoke + lesbians = Alisto, amirite?
<rachel> Old people ain't got shit to do but look at clocks.

Lani
Has Boobs (Probably)

Postby Lani » Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:38 pm UTC

4ish-7ish days is pretty standard.

Can I go home yet? I'm really really really really really tired and have been generally useless at work today.
- Lani

"They think they're so high and mighty, just because they never got caught driving without pants."

Alisto
Crazy like a BOX!

Postby Alisto » Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:51 pm UTC

lani wrote:4ish-7ish days is pretty standard.

Can I go home yet? I'm really really really really really tired and have been generally useless at work today.

I really hope it's closer to four than seven, lest my weekend plans be ruined. Or the sheets. One of the two.

And yes, you may leave. Say you have "women problems". Jimmy Carr says it'll work, and I believe him.
Crazy like a BOX!

Lani
Has Boobs (Probably)

Postby Lani » Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:53 pm UTC

*shrug* Use a towel.

Besides, it's only heavy in the first few days. By the end, it's very light.
- Lani

Belial

Postby Belial » Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:45 am UTC

Use a towel, indeed. It works fine. Unless she's also cramping and whatnot. If she's willing, and you're not squeamish about blood, just go for it.

They/them

Alisto
Crazy like a BOX!

Postby Alisto » Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:49 am UTC

Done and done.
Crazy like a BOX!

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:51 am UTC

That was quick.

Alisto
Crazy like a BOX!

Postby Alisto » Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:53 am UTC

Jesster wrote:That was quick.

That's what she said.
Crazy like a BOX!

Belial

Postby Belial » Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:20 am UTC

Spoiler alert: That might be bad.

They/them

Alisto
Crazy like a BOX!

Postby Alisto » Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:29 am UTC

Daem0hn wrote:question: If i can get AUD$75,000 starting salary living in perth, australia, but really dont like the lifestyle, is it worth moving to christchurch nz (where i love the lifestyle) but only earning AUD$40,000?

I say take the 75k job. Doing that for a couple of years and spending wisely will give you more financial freedom to change jobs and locations. If you start low, you're limiting your future options.
Crazy like a BOX!

VannA
White

Postby VannA » Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:44 am UTC

For the love of god.

Take the 75K job. Stick it out for 4 years.

Take your 300K earnt, which, after expenses and taxes, should leave you with 100K or so.

Then go take your 40K Job, and buy half a house outright in Christchurch.
Jealousy is a disease, love is a healthy condition. The immature mind often mistakes one for the other, or assumes that the greater the love, the greater the jealousy.

AngryRobot
Is a Tachikoma

Postby AngryRobot » Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:16 am UTC

i say take the lotsa money one i barely get 300 a week as a 2nd yer mechanic so i cant buy all the shiny objects i want to.

I had a choice over more school or work i choose work cause i like to work with my hands and i end up drawing most of the time away in class, anyone else make this choice? work or school? am i not nerdy enough to be here cause im a mechanic? :wink: oh im kidding of course i am, of course when you co workers hear "i dont blindly follow his orders" and respond in laughter and go "ha ha blind" and cover their eyes and walk around i wonder if i made the right choice :roll:
When in darkness, when in doubt,
Run in circles, scream and shout!
Left, right, left, right, up, A+Y - Group hug combo!

Lani
Has Boobs (Probably)

Postby Lani » Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:19 pm UTC

Here's my question, because I'm awful at this stuff --

I'm going to a wedding this Saturday. The ceremony is at 2, and reception starts at 7. So what do I wear? It's afternoon (casualer) and evening (less casual) combined!
- Lani

aldimond
Otter-duck

Postby aldimond » Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:09 am UTC

VannA wrote:For the love of god.

Take the 75K job. Stick it out for 4 years.

Take your 300K earnt, which, after expenses and taxes, should leave you with 100K or so.

Then go take your 40K Job, and buy half a house outright in Christchurch.

Four years? Holy crap. You only get to be young once. Don't live some place that sucks for four whole years. What would you do with the money that's remotely worth it? Unless you have some specific need for that kind of dough, or the higher-paying job is the start of a career that you're truly passionate about (and would live in a place that sucks to pursue) then live where you'll be happy.

Good to be thinking about that before taking the job. I didn't really learn much about the kind of place that Silicon Valley was before moving here. It hasn't been a total waste, but the area is totally wrong for me in every way and it was a giant mistake to move halfway across the country here. Even if I can only make half as much money as I do now when I move to Chicago I'll gladly take it.
One of these days my desk is going to collapse in the middle and all its weight will come down on my knee and tear my new fake ACL. It could be tomorrow. This is my concern.

damienthebloody
the most metal thing EVER

Postby damienthebloody » Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:10 am UTC

lani wrote:Here's my question, because I'm awful at this stuff --

I'm going to a wedding this Saturday. The ceremony is at 2, and reception starts at 7. So what do I wear? It's afternoon (casualer) and evening (less casual) combined!

i'm pretty sure that a wedding is still a wedding, even in the afternoon. in fact, most weddings i have been to have been at about 2pm, and at all of those everyone was very nicely kitted up. and the reception - i'm not sure if it is done to wear sometihng different to the reception than you wore to the wedding, unless you were a bridesmaid... hmmmm...now i'm puzzled, too.
German Sausage wrote:Is that an EMP in your pants, or are you just outraged by my sexist behaviour?
liza wrote:When life gives you a wife made of salt, make margaritas?
Dance like you're stamping on a human face forever.

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:32 am UTC

Well the ceremony doesn't last THAT long, does it? You could go home and change. But... I don't know. A nice dress, but maybe patterned, not just black? That said, if you wear a black dress you can dress it up or down with different shoes, jewellery, a pashmina or scarf or whatever... Are people still superstitious about wearing black to a wedding?

Toeofdoom
The (Male) Skeleton Guitarist

Postby Toeofdoom » Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:16 am UTC

At the last one I went to the timing was similar. basically people who lived in the area went home inbetween and people who lived a long way a way went with the people who lived nearby.
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

TheTankengine
Our Fora-father

Postby TheTankengine » Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:57 am UTC

Seems like a typical wedding to me. I used to be a DJ for wedding receptions, so ... I've been to a few. Just wear whatever you would to the wedding and don't worry about shoes. You won't be wearing them for more than 5 minutes at the reception.
be centered
be compassionate
be interesting

Rat
Rattus Trolleri

Postby Rat » Sun Mar 25, 2007 6:49 pm UTC

if 800ft of fencing is available to build three adjacent pens, what value of x will maximize the area? what is the maximum area?

4x+2y=800
y=400-2x
A(x)=400x-2x^2
{-400/2(-2)}=100=x
400-2(100)=200=y
Area=2(100)*200=40000

am i right? if not, can you correct me and show your work?

Puellus Peregrinus
Sazl. Eliuo Sazl.

Postby Puellus Peregrinus » Sun Mar 25, 2007 7:05 pm UTC

Why is the area 2x * y ?
Otherwise I can't find any flaw except for the fact that your markings are horrible.
Romanes eunt domus!

Rat
Rattus Trolleri

Postby Rat » Sun Mar 25, 2007 7:09 pm UTC

Puellus Peregrinus wrote:Why is the area 2x * y ?
Otherwise I can't find any flaw except for the fact that your markings are horrible.

oh right.. i did it last night and when i woke up it looked wrong...

twwwoooeeexxxttiimmesswhyyyyy

yeah i should take that 2 out of there... thanks

the rest is right though? i didnt know how to include those two middle fence pieces

i have to make up a semesters worth of calc by.... tomorrow?

Puellus Peregrinus
Sazl. Eliuo Sazl.

Postby Puellus Peregrinus » Sun Mar 25, 2007 7:34 pm UTC

Rat wrote:the rest is right though?

Should be. I however have no idea how you reached that conclusion.
Rat wrote:I have to make up a semesters worth of calc by.... tomorrow?

I know the feeling.
21st of January, 4am, I was so high on caffeine that I started making bird noises. It actually took me quite a while before I realised what I was doing (and what I wasn't).
Romanes eunt domus!

aldimond
Otter-duck

Postby aldimond » Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:12 am UTC

Wow, Puellus... that is beyond awesome... *starts pounding coffee*
One of these days my desk is going to collapse in the middle and all its weight will come down on my knee and tear my new fake ACL. It could be tomorrow. This is my concern.

Lani
Has Boobs (Probably)

Postby Lani » Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:33 am UTC

Heh. I've been there. I remember driving to class my senior year of college, extremely stressed and sleep deprived...I realized that for the last 20 minutes I had been doing Chewbacca and Yoda impressions to myself and laughing like crazy.
- Lani

Rat
Rattus Trolleri

Postby Rat » Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:36 am UTC

what is the polynomial of degree 3 with zeros 2 and 1+i?

Gordon
Dr. Banana
Dr. Banana

Postby Gordon » Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:48 am UTC

Work backwards?
x^2 - 4 = 0 when x=2
x-(1+i) = 0 when x = 1+i

f(x) = (x^2-4)(x-(1+i))
expand
=x^3-x^2-ix^2-4x+4-4i
group like terms maybe?
=x^3-(x^2)(1-i)-4(x+i)+4

Or something like that. I haven't been in school in a long time.
Meaux_Pas wrote:
RealGrouchy wrote:I still remember the time when Gordon left. I still wake up in the middle of the night crying and screaming his name.
I do that too, but for an entirely different reason.
RealGrouchy wrote:
Gordon wrote:How long have I been asleep?!
Our daughter is in high school now.

Rat
Rattus Trolleri

Postby Rat » Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:52 am UTC

can i get a second opinion?

Return to “General”