What's in a name?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

ian

Re: What's in a name?

Postby ian » Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:09 pm UTC

Can someone explain the Susan Death thing for me?

I bet no one can guess my first name.

My surname is boring though, I want a new one.

Actually I just want to change my entire name to Thor Skywalker.

Or Mr Otter Duck

Toeofdoom
The (Male) Skeleton Guitarist

Postby Toeofdoom » Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:39 pm UTC

My name is Matthew, and I once posted my full name on here as it's one of those very unique double barreled names blah blah.

Matthew, though, is very obviously not unique in any way at all, so I think I can safely post here. If I recall, it actually means "gift of god" or something like that, but I dont really care. Anyway, I think theres atleast 10 Matts I've met since starting uni, which is really an incredible amount, surpassing any other single name. It can get really confusing, but with most people from uni they call me toeofdoom or some variant anyway, so... yeah.

Yeah, people really call me toeofdoom in real life. The internet makes everything weird.
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:34 pm UTC

My first name is Clinton, and I always kinda hated it -- people always hear "Quentin" or "Clifton," as if those names are more common than mine. Or they call me "Clint" without asking whether I'm ok with that (generally I'm not). Then I found out yesterday that a hero of mine, Richard Dawkins, is actually Clinton Richard Dawkins. I now feel a tad better about my given name, inasmuch as sharing something stupid like a first name with an idol can make me feel better about it.
kira wrote:*piles up some limbs and blood and a couple hearts for good measure*
GUYS. I MADE A HUMAN.
*...pokes at it with a stick*

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:20 pm UTC

ian wrote:Can someone explain the Susan Death thing for me?

When in doubt, Ask Wikipedia. Or Google. Either one works. Usually Google.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Ian Ex Machina

Postby Ian Ex Machina » Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:49 pm UTC

I am friend of God for Ian.
Which is pretty lame, OR
I am the scottish version of John.
Which is still lame.

My last name relates to trees, and fat tress at that (or 50s women trees.)

Probably Human

Postby Probably Human » Sun Aug 03, 2008 4:53 am UTC

My first name was originally Greek and means 'Defender of man kind'. Man kind has no chance of survival :shock:
Maybe if my signature is witty enough someone will finally love me.

Tigerlion
The Communist formerly known as Tigion

Postby Tigerlion » Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:12 am UTC

My first name is Zachery, which is a derivative of Zachary, which is a derivative of Zachariah, which evidently means 'the lord recalled'

By last name brings up some google searches that lead back to here. Also, the origin of my avatar in a Google image search

Megatriorchis

Postby Megatriorchis » Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:59 am UTC

My first name is Calandra and my middle name is Dale. This is because my grandmother was going to name me something weird (I think Colundra or Culundra or something), and my mom said no to that. So my uncle said, "Name her Calandra," and his name is Dale. So, my mom named me Calandra Dale.

Calandra is Greek. It means "singing bird" or "lark". And Dale is just an English name meaning "of the valley". So, my name would translate into "lark of the valley", or "singing bird of the valley".

I hardly ever meet other people who have my first name.
The Humanity for the Undead Coalition: Bringing Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness to the Undead and Other Supernatural Humanoids. Zombies don't eat people; people eat people!

blue_eyedspacemonkey

Postby blue_eyedspacemonkey » Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:27 am UTC

My name is Gemma-Italian for little gem/precious stone :) It was borne by the 13th century wife of Dante apparently ,which is funky :)
"Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes"

So. Twitter

Mercurius

Postby Mercurius » Sun Aug 03, 2008 2:43 pm UTC

My first name related to the Roman god of war and one of the Roman Republic's most vile leaders, as well as its greatest orator.

My second name is just some stupid Scottish clan name no-one has ever heard of.
You know, I'm not really sure what "socioeconomic class" I am. I'm richer than my parents, I don't have a real job, and my mannerisms tend to match up with whomever I'm talking to.

...is "con man" a social class?

Ishindri

Postby Ishindri » Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:29 pm UTC

Roland Lockheart wrote:My name real name is french and means "A dispenser of rations" I'm not quite sure how I feel about that.

Need a dispenser here!

I'm so sorry
All is well. We are not like the others.

Shpadoinkle

Postby Shpadoinkle » Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:37 pm UTC

My first name is Rick, which is just a derivative of Richard, which means "king" or "leader." Kind of ironic, since I hate having to be responsible for anyone but myself. My middle name is Leon, meaning "lion." So evidently I'm either the lion king (-_-), or more literally, king of the lions.

I Am Raven

Postby I Am Raven » Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:31 pm UTC

Shpadoinkle wrote:My first name is Rick, which is just a derivative of Richard, which means "king" or "leader." Kind of ironic, since I hate having to be responsible for anyone but myself. My middle name is Leon, meaning "lion." So evidently I'm either the lion king (-_-), or more literally, king of the lions.

Richard Lionheart perhaps?
Ptolom wrote:penis

ParanoidAndroid

Postby ParanoidAndroid » Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:05 am UTC

Joshua, from the Hebrew Yeshua (same as Jesus). I'm far too paranoid to post my last name, though.

Mo0man

Postby Mo0man » Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:07 pm UTC

My name is Terence, meaning... uhh... actually, it doesn't really mean anything at all. This tells me that it possibly means tender or soft, which sadly enough, is probably a good description. My last name, which shall remain hidden to avoid stalkeriety, means Thunder. Oh, also, my name in my native language means moon, so there's that.
causa major dormuc vulnero ut ovis goatee
I'm number 20075. Remember that. It's important

Isaac Hill
Systems Analyst????

Postby Isaac Hill » Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:59 am UTC

First name Brian, middle name Arthur. My parents were originally going to name me Arthur Homer after my dad's dad and mom's dad, but decided they couldn't do that to a child. Since mom's dad died when she was little, they dumped Homer and demoted Arthur to middle name. I'm not sure where Brian came from, but they may have been going for the masculine version of mom's mom, Barbara.

If anyone ever asks me if I know anything about art, I can scoff and say, "Please, Art is my middle name." As long as no one presses me any further, I'm golden.

My last name starts with G, so my intials spell BAG. I guess that's better than AHG, which is what Charlie Brown said when Lucy pulled the football away.
Alleged "poems"
that don't follow a rhyme scheme
are not poetry

tommclaughlan

Postby tommclaughlan » Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:40 am UTC

My name means 'twin', which is stupid..... because I'm not.

If I can't even live up to my name what am I supposed to do!?

Minchandre

Postby Minchandre » Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:47 am UTC

"Amit" (uh-MEET), after a family friend who got half his head blown off (he was a very tall man, and the joke was that he was considerate enough in death to save the IDF money on having to build an extra-large coffin...)

Anyway, it's Hebrew, meaning "companion", and shares it's root with Spanish amigo, French ami, and English 'amity'. I understand it's a fairly recent name, actually, only coming into common usage in the 1800s.

ParanoidAndroid wrote:Joshua, from the Hebrew Yeshua (same as Jesus). I'm far too paranoid to post my last name, though.

"Yeshua" (ישוע) is actually Aramaic; the Hebrew equivilent is "Yehoshua" (יהושע). Sometimes, you'll see people use "Yeshua" as a back construction from the Greek Ἰησοῦς, but this mostly always refers to J-dog himself.

jerome_bc

Postby jerome_bc » Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:37 am UTC

My first name is Jerome, from the greek hieros (sacred) and onoma (name). So, it means "sacred name". That's right, my name is recursive. When I think too hard about that it hurts my brain a little. Here we don't have middle names.

I guess I'm a baker living in the forest. With a sacred name.
Last edited by jerome_bc on Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:01 am UTC, edited 3 times in total.

Kartoffelkopf

Postby Kartoffelkopf » Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:37 am UTC

[redacted]
Last edited by Kartoffelkopf on Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:41 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

apeman5291

Postby apeman5291 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:41 am UTC

Token wrote:Jumping on the meaning bandwagon:

Let's see... we've got "God is gracious" (after some heavy corruption), "strong/manly/courageous", and then a Scottish clan name which apparently means my ancestors lived near the River Ro in Northern Ireland.

apeman5291 wrote:My first and middle names are Ian McKenzie, they come from my dad's side of the family. I think Ian means "God is gracious". My last name is fairly bland in comparison, and it won't be disclosed here for privacy's sake.

Wait, what? Ian is easy to spell (according to everyone who's ever had to write down my name, at least).

Really? I've gotten "Ein" and its variations, "Yan", which even appears on some semi-official documents, it's been pronounced "EYE-in", "ee-AH-n", and read as "Jan". Maybe it's because you live in the UK. The only time I ever run into another Ian is in odd places where it's very inconvenient to hear your name called out.
What you don't understand, you can make mean anything.

wst

Postby wst » Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:29 am UTC

My name is William :|

Though I thought I'd participate because a girl on my bus is called Stormy.

What. An. Awesome. Name.

Must get sick of weather jokes though.
Anything I said pre-2014 that you want to quote me on, just run it past me to check I still agree with myself.

LuNatic

Postby LuNatic » Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:04 am UTC

Letters usually. Wait, what was this thread about? :P
Cynical Idealist wrote:
Velict wrote:Good Jehova, there are cheesegraters on the blagotube!

This is, for some reason, one of the funniest things I've read today.

i_ll_winn

Postby i_ll_winn » Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:19 am UTC

My names mean
Descendant of god's gift of fear.
There is no enemy anywhere, only idiots with weapons.
My life is worthless, how I affect others is priceless.
Spoiler:

Teapot

Postby Teapot » Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:14 pm UTC

Kartoffelkopf wrote:My first name is Amy.

My parents chose my name because apparently it means "beloved woman". They chose my sister's name because it sounds nice... I had to look through about three or four different related names to find out that my sister's name might be the Scottish form of a name meaning "Christian" which I think is quite amusing seeing as my sister is not very religious...
Jessica wrote:Dammit, teapot is better than everyone else.
Moo wrote:
pseudoidiot wrote:Localized, non-contagious willy leprosy?
"I'm sorry, sir, it's LNWL. There's nothing we can do".

Cherry Kiss
¡This cheese is burning me!

Postby Cherry Kiss » Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:08 pm UTC

Amber is the English name for a semiprecious gem made from fossilized tree resin, and is also used to describe the gem's golden color. In Hindi, the name is derived from Sanskrit, meaning "the sky".

Fun stuff.
What they call love is a risk,
'Cause you will always get hit
Out of nowhere by some wave
And end up on your own.

BiancaBlack

Postby BiancaBlack » Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:40 pm UTC

My name is of norse origin. The first part of my name comes from Ás- which is form *ansuR and related to Old Icelandic áss or óss, "a god." The second part of my name comes from fríðr which means "beauty" and is apparently derived form the word frjá "to love".

So that in turn makes me a "divine beauty" or "loved by the gods" - there is some disagreement on the interpretation. Either interpretation sounds good to me, though :)
I didn't like my name much when I was younger, but I think learning the meaning made me appreciate it more (Who doesn't want to be a divine beauty?)
This one time at, er, space camp...

LL Cool J
___ and ___

Postby LL Cool J » Thu Nov 27, 2008 4:21 am UTC

My name, according to the internet, is very common. I knew that already, but it's nice to get confirmation.
Jessica: Wikipedia tells me that it was first used by Shakespeare in The Merchant of Venice. Apparently it's an adaption of a Biblical name; Jesca, Iscah, Yiskah, meaning 'foresight' or 'to see'. I'm cool with that.

Hooper: One who makes or repairs casks or tubs (using hoops, geddit?)

I have no middle name. Whee. Thus concludes my short trip into name definitions.
Rippy wrote:Slogan: "Beauty. Grace. Fluticasone propionate. Inhale twice daily."

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:07 am UTC

My name means... well i've heard everything from Lord of the Waters to Son of the Sea to everything around that kind of... related to the ocean dealio. It's welsh. The actual welsh name is unpronounceable because welsh people have the most ridiculous accents on the face of this planet earth. Still, I like it.
uhhhh fuck.

Sasha

Postby Sasha » Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:31 am UTC

Probably Human wrote:My first name was originally Greek and means 'Defender of man kind'. Man kind has no chance of survival :shock:

I know this one! I've got it as well, it's Alexander or some variation thereof.
Marbas wrote:I'll usually jump from one strange thought to the next, such gems as: "I wonder if bears get depressed", "I think the sun is unnecessarily smug" and so on.

baker's kilobyte

Postby baker's kilobyte » Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:55 am UTC

Wow, I haven't posted on these boards in months. Anyways...

My first name comes from Persian mythology. It means "bird of Heaven" because it refers to a bird that spends its entire life in the skies. I was named after my mother's best friend, though, not the bird; I only found out the mythological background to my name a few years ago when I was bored and Googling myself...

My last name means "victory" and was also the name of the last Moghul king, Bahadur Shah Zafar. Yay. xP

kinigget

Postby kinigget » Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:19 pm UTC

I have a fairly uncommon name. My first name is Galen, which according to wikipedia means "calm" or "tranquil"
Middle name is Alexander, which has already been translated as "defender of men"

I also get to be named after a rather famous roman physician, which is cool.

unfortunately my initials spell GAS. My mom has apologized for this. Though I should count myself lucky, my mom narrowly escaped being named "twalomy tassahara". which I can't even spell!
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I can tell from his word choice that he is using his penis to type.

Steax wrote:I think the courts are kinda busy right now. Something about cake and due process.

sje46

Name Thread!

Postby sje46 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:20 pm UTC

What is your first name? Does it mean anything? Share!
(It's fine if you don't want to share!)
I'm Sean. It means "God is gracious" :)
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.

Teapot

Re: Name Thread!

Postby Teapot » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:24 pm UTC

Is this not a similar thread?
Jessica wrote:Dammit, teapot is better than everyone else.
Moo wrote:
pseudoidiot wrote:Localized, non-contagious willy leprosy?
"I'm sorry, sir, it's LNWL. There's nothing we can do".

sje46

Re: Name Thread!

Postby sje46 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:26 pm UTC

. . ..
that's for the mods to decide.
:(

And so I have merg'd. Please don't be sad. But the search function is quite useful. . .
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.

Senefen

Postby Senefen » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:37 pm UTC

Mine's Nicole. Fem of Nicholas from Nike + Laos meaning Victory of the People.
Middle name Patricia which means of nobel decent.
Last name is boring Apostle+son, the apostle name means 'Crown'
I was going to be named Peri which is a fairy in persian mythology, but that's only coincidence. One of the Doctor's companions was called Peri and they liked the name XD

>Heather's law from page 1. I have a cousin Heather, she is hot. The law still stands
ImageImageImageImageImage

Seda

Postby Seda » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:37 pm UTC

I'm Seda. Means silk in Spanish.
Aum

Osha

Postby Osha » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:52 am UTC

My legal name is Colin which apparently means either child or victory of the people. I'm gonna go with the latter as it has a much more awesome meaning.
I'm going to change my name to Zoe which is Greek for "life". I think this is pretty cool.
My last name is Clifford which means (you guessed it) a ford by a cliff.
Mom's last name was Kush before she got married again. I have no idea what it means but it's awesome.

Now somebody help me decide, what's a good middle name to go between Zoe and [AWESOME LAST NAME] :?: :?

If I ever get to name someone I'll give them a name with a nice strong meaning. Like Acacia, now there's a cool name!
Hmm... on the other hand...
Zoe [REDACTED FOR SECRECY] [AWESOME LAST NAME]? What do you think?

Ha,I don't care if posting that here where google can find it is a good idea or not!
Now to read the rest of the thread
Last edited by Osha on Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:08 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread

Postby Sungura » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:58 am UTC

My first name means "Beloved".

I am not sure about my middle name.

My last name when I looked it up goes back a looooonng ways to French and then Latin before that. We have a long family history that my great-grandfather and grandpa compiled, and it traces our roots in America back to the 1600's when our ancestors first came over. I think it was 1634 or something around that time, I'd have to look it up to be certain. I don't know it's meaning, just some cool history. :)
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/<any gender neutral>/snug

RetSpline

Postby RetSpline » Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:13 am UTC

Wombat wrote:
Probably Human wrote:My first name was originally Greek and means 'Defender of man kind'. Man kind has no chance of survival :shock:

I know this one! I've got it as well, it's Alexander or some variation thereof.

Wait, what? I had no idea Alexander meant anything (though I suppose most names mean something). My dad made it my middle name because it's a family name, and it's just really cool besides. My school has recently started a trend about nicknames based on middle names, so I'm trying to get "Xander" to replace the current "Al".

My first name is Nathaniel, which my mom picked "Because it was in the Bible." I do wish she'd gone with Nathanael, though. I'd probably have to spend even more time explaining my name, but it'd be worth it. Apparently, Nathaniel means "Gift of God," making me the Gift of God, the Savior of Mankind. Pretty sweet. Apparently, my last name doesn't mean anything, which is just as well because I wasn't going to tell it to any of you.

Also: My full name is annoyingly long. So long it doesn't fit on printed attendance sheets (Try being called "Nathany" by every substitute teacher ever). So long I had (maybe still have) the longest name in my class. So long it doesn't fit on State IDs, Drivers Licenses, or Passports.

Return to “General”