Best place in America to live?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

kellsbells
Queen of Cupcakes

Re: Best place in America to live?

Postby kellsbells » Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:04 am UTC

pi-3 orionis wrote:The weather here isn't as bad as they say it is. I hear that NY gets more rain than Seattle does annually. We don't get much snow but last week while I was on spring break it snowed pretty heavily in my area. No one saw that coming. The summers aren't very hot either, except for maybe a week or two. But you can always expect a little rain all year long too.

Yeah, I should have mentioned that... crazy weather recently has inspired a bunch more snow than usual. First time ever that I got snow on my birthday (about twenty miles east of Seattle). I love it when it snows around here, we all freak out and are like "What? Solid rain? AHH!"
A good pun is its own reword.
L wrote:A day without kells is a day not worth living.

Akula

Postby Akula » Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:45 am UTC

San Diego, California.

/thread
"I never let my schooling interfere with my education" - Mark Twain

benjhuey

Postby benjhuey » Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:55 am UTC

Endless Mike wrote:I define things more on culture than anything. WV has a lot more in common with rural PA than anything, so may as well make it Northeast. The Dakotas have little in common with the Midwest, and are Upper West, along with Montana, Wyoming, Idaho, and Colorado. The other Four Corner states are the Southwest, along with Nevada. Personally, I consider Kentucky more South than anything.

I think Kansas, Nebraska, Oklahoma and the Dakotas (along with parts of Iowa, Missouri and eastern Colorado, Wyoming, and Montana; not sure about MN or AK) could be grouped as the Great Plains states (lost of flat).

Anyway, the Northwest U.S. seems to be the popular vote, but what does everyone think of Hawaii. I've heard it's nice to visit, but living there is another story. Any thoughts?
多么现在棕色母牛?

guncow

Postby guncow » Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:00 am UTC

Just north of Washington ;)

Cephalus

Postby Cephalus » Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:29 am UTC

Hawaii = incredibly expensive place to live, for the most part.
Lurker Extraordinaire

@trophy

Postby @trophy » Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:36 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
@trophy wrote:Seattle or Portland FTW. Also, live in Washington (no property tax) and do all your shopping in Oregon (no sales tax).

So.. you're saying Live in Vancouver, WA?

Yeah, that's pretty much exactly what I'm saying. :D

EDIT: Vancouver, B.C. is pretty nice, too. :wink:
Insignificant Deification wrote:Because, sometimes, you've gotta have a taste of vulva

Solt

Postby Solt » Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:11 pm UTC

PictureSarah wrote:
Solt wrote:The places where I would personally like to live, in order, are Southern California, the SF Bay Area, and Seattle.

Uh, what? If you like Southern California, what makes you think you will like the bay area or Seattle? Vastly different climates and culture.

Dunno about Seattle but SoCal and the Bay Area aren't that different. I mean, there are pretty big differences in some regards yes, but the point is I enjoy both, but I just enjoy socal, overall, a bit more than the bay area.

Each place has things lacking and each makes up for what it doesn't have somehow. Seattle makes up for its raininess with its nerdiness. That's how I can make that list.
"Welding was faster, cheaper and, in theory,
produced a more reliable product. But sailors do
not float on theory, and the welded tankers had a
most annoying habit of splitting in two."
-J.W. Morris

lowbart

Postby lowbart » Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:10 pm UTC

Cephalus wrote:Considerations:
Financial. I'm not willing to move to NYC or LA, for example. Boston is probably high up on the "prices are scary" list, but not out of range (Bostonians, tell me if I'm wrong).

Climate: I'm not moving to the south. No Florida, no Texas, nothing below the Mason Dixon line. I do not like Oh me yarm hot summers. Not overly fond of massive snowfall or the likes - no Maine, no Alaska.

I'm looking for a City, at least 50k or so. Ideally with Culture - I like symphonies, I like art - but more importantly, a good live music scene. I like social drinking - but bars with atmosphere. Not frat bars, or nascar bars. Ideally a somewhat liberal political climate - think Madison, not Utah. College town atmosphere a plus. I'd like a large population of people near my age (24 at the time of the move), ideally a large intelligent population - you know the types.

I like Microbreweries and brew-pubs, The Decemberists and Flogging Molly, Pool and Soccer.

You are an Atheist, Liberal, Typical XKCDian. Where would you want to live?

It's been said before, but it sounds to me like you want Portland or Seattle.
...a fish called the Henamo grunter, named because it makes grunting noises from its swim bladder.
v1nsai wrote:Yes, I'm Linux, how can I help you ma'am?

Neris

Postby Neris » Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:10 am UTC

Has anyone suggested Portland yet? Perfect weather, great music scene, rich in art and cost of living is average for a city.
"My God, man! Do they want tea?"
"No, I think they're after something more than that, sir. I don't know what it is, but they've brought a flag."

nufan

Postby nufan » Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:20 am UTC

Montréal :idea:

nsmjohn

Postby nsmjohn » Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:24 am UTC

Solt wrote:
PictureSarah wrote:
Solt wrote:The places where I would personally like to live, in order, are Southern California, the SF Bay Area, and Seattle.

Uh, what? If you like Southern California, what makes you think you will like the bay area or Seattle? Vastly different climates and culture.

Dunno about Seattle but SoCal and the Bay Area aren't that different. I mean, there are pretty big differences in some regards yes, but the point is I enjoy both, but I just enjoy socal, overall, a bit more than the bay area.

Each place has things lacking and each makes up for what it doesn't have somehow. Seattle makes up for its raininess with its nerdiness. That's how I can make that list.

I have never been to Seattle but I have been to Portalnd and it is fairly reminiscent of SF. When comparing SoCal and the Bay Area it really depends on what part of the Bay you're comparing to what part of SoCal. SF proper, Berkeley and similar areas are vastly more liberal, populated by hippy/hipster type and really not comparable at all (IMO) to SoCal. Areas like Oakland and Fremont remind do me of L.A. though.

It is a rather boring city but Sacramento has a great climate, good placement (2-3 hours from: SF, the coast in general, the mountains, Reno, Tahoe, and California's wine country), and an interesting culture with a place for everyone.
Gojoe wrote:Well, I would say something here, but it would only make it worse.

d3adf001

Postby d3adf001 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:15 am UTC

not state college Pa if you like stuff do to beside tipping cows or music or fake girls with uggs and big glasses.
and not maryland unless you like all around shit holes

TravelingKate

Postby TravelingKate » Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:22 am UTC

I have lived * a lot * of places...

I really enjoy san diego and spend most of my time here. Liberal, however, it is not. It can be - in certain areas. lots of colleges, but more than anything - lots and lots of military. 4hrs to vegas, a hop to mexico, 2 hrs from LA, 7 hrs from san fran....

I lived in the bay area and enjoyed it but i did not like the actual city aspect of san fran. i found it to be kind of dirty.

Chicago is nice, i enjoy it a lot. its generally a clean city, i like the lake. It is convenient to many places....

CT is super nice - very pretty. rough winters, but a train ride away from NYC and lots of academic types.

I'm a huge pittsburgh fan. 8 hrs from chicago, 4 from detriot, 2 from cleveland, 4 from DC, Its clean (despite popular belief) , the cost of living is way way low, lots of education, lots of hospitals, nice hometown feeling, very pretty skyline, lots and lots of museums, lots of fun coffee shops and mom and pop places... large international airport.

Mo0man

Postby Mo0man » Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:28 am UTC

Toronto. Like NY, 'cept awesomer cause people are nicer. Also Canadian. Not sure whether that's a plus or a minus for you tho
causa major dormuc vulnero ut ovis goatee
I'm number 20075. Remember that. It's important

thefiddler
The Fora's Prophetess

Postby thefiddler » Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:31 am UTC

Mo0man wrote:Toronto. Like NY, 'cept awesomer cause people are nicer. Also Canadian. Not sure whether that's a plus or a minus for you tho

Uhh. I believe the topic is best place in America, not Canada...

22/7
I'm pretty sure I have "The Slavery In My Asshole" on DVD.

Postby 22/7 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:45 am UTC

thefiddler wrote:
Mo0man wrote:Toronto. Like NY, 'cept awesomer cause people are nicer. Also Canadian. Not sure whether that's a plus or a minus for you tho

Well, if you ask some people on this forum, they're the same thing. Of course, they're wrong, but, well, you know.
Totally not a hypothetical...

Steroid wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:If your economic reality is a choice, then why are you not as rich as Bill Gates?
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

theamberkey

Postby theamberkey » Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:39 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
@trophy wrote:Seattle or Portland FTW. Also, live in Washington (no property tax) and do all your shopping in Oregon (no sales tax).

So.. you're saying Live in Vancouver, WA?

Good Bearded One, do not move to the 'Couve. I don't care if it is only ten minutes from downtown Portland, it is a nightmare realm.

I'm more or less obligated to say Portland (along with half of everyone else) because of loyalty, but Seattle might fit your needs a bit better. Keep in mind that Seattle is more expensive, though.

Boulder is a really nice place (I have a ton of fond memories), but unless it's changed completely in the last ten years it's not a city like you seem to be looking for. Don't get me wrong, I adore CO, but the atmosphere you seem to be going for really seems like a Pacific Northwest thing.

How're you with rain?
A silver spoon and a packet of sugar cubes are the artifacts of the ritual: the vajrakaliya, the cross, the blood of the lamb....
-The Amber Key

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:43 pm UTC

d3adf001 wrote:not state college Pa if you like stuff do to beside tipping cows or music or fake girls with uggs and big glasses.
and not maryland unless you like all around shit holes

If you can't have fun in a college town, you're doing it wrong.

DJorgensen

Postby DJorgensen » Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:02 pm UTC

Yeah I can echo the west coast sentiment for what you described :3
Its a seemingly nice place and I've got a number of friends and family there. Though I've never left Canada to visit..... hmm.

I'll probably end up in Vancouver in a few years if I don't end up on the west coast of the US, or somewhere else on the other side of the world entirely.
trap: a device in which something (usually an animal) can be caught and penned.

Cephalus

Postby Cephalus » Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:20 pm UTC

I, for the record, am a very large fan of rain - when I am not driving at night. If I am driving at night, rain = massive headache from all the lights glistening off water.

Before I made this post, Portland was definetly at the top of my list. My father spends a lot of time traveling in central and south america, and apparently every time he runs into someone from Portland, they can't stop talking about how much they love it. I'm glad to see that, for the most part, people are backing that opinion up.

I really appreciate the people who included helpful advice and apparently, ya know, actually read the post at the start of the thread. Those people who suggested Canada failed, at several levels, in both reading comprehension and perhaps humor, and probably a few more levels I'm too tired to think of now.
Lurker Extraordinaire

theamberkey

Postby theamberkey » Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:39 pm UTC

Cephalus wrote:I, for the record, am a very large fan of rain.

Yeah, you want the Pacific Northwest.

Portland is a large enough city to contain awesome. It is also a small enough city to still be awesome. There is a lot of music and microbreweries (and more strip clubs per capita than Las Vegas, as long as we're throwing facts around).

Plus, if you like books, you're in luck. I'm not really trying to sell it. I just... can't help talking about it.
A silver spoon and a packet of sugar cubes are the artifacts of the ritual: the vajrakaliya, the cross, the blood of the lamb....
-The Amber Key

Mo0man

Postby Mo0man » Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:41 am UTC

22/7 wrote:
thefiddler wrote:

Well, if you ask some people on this forum, they're the same thing. Of course, they're wrong, but, well, you know.

North America is still America. Plus, there was someone who said Monteal before, so I just assumed...
causa major dormuc vulnero ut ovis goatee
I'm number 20075. Remember that. It's important

Cephalus

Postby Cephalus » Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:10 am UTC

Lurker Extraordinaire

Return to “General”