That's a sweet ass-car! Post your xkcd-mobile

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

benjhuey

Re: That's a sweet ass-car! Post your xkcd-mobile

Postby benjhuey » Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:58 pm UTC

I don't have a picture of my own, so I shanked this one from Google.

Another 2001 Ford Focus SE. It was a repossession from my father's bank, so I got it on the cheap.
Spoiler:

It has developed some problems, but gets fair gas mileage and is inexpensive to operate, so I plan on driving it until it flat-out refuses to run (or I make enough money to buy something much better).
多么现在棕色母牛?

Tachyon

Postby Tachyon » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:44 am UTC

esoteric wrote:My daily driver, grocery getter...
Spoiler:
374.JPG

Well, that's my dream car.
I DON'T WANT NO PART A YO TIGHT ASS COUNTRY CLUB YA FREAK BITCH
~Buster

Flying Betty

Postby Flying Betty » Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:33 am UTC

Mine's a 94 Toyota Corolla. It's a good little car, but seems to be rapidly approaching the point where the repairs it needs aren't really worth it for the cost/life expectancy of the car. And just when I had decided that I *wasn't* going to buy a new one any time soon. But it leaks oil massively, power steering fluid minorly, and the brakes suck.

Spoilered for huge like whoa!
Spoiler:
IMG_0238.jpg
IMG_0238.jpg (1.23 MiB) Viewed 8869 times

IMG_0240.jpg
IMG_0240.jpg (1.07 MiB) Viewed 8834 times
Belial wrote:The future is here, and it is cyberpunk as hell.

noparenthesis

Postby noparenthesis » Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:10 am UTC

Spoiler:
Just kidding.

This is my 2001 Saturn L300. She's not fancy, but she's my baby. I call her "the Roger," as in the jolly kind. I have a skull-and-crossbones air freshener on the rearview mirror, which is where she got her name.
"I do not want people to be very agreeable, as it saves me the trouble of liking them a great deal."
--Jane Austen

Dr. Canadian Ninja

Postby Dr. Canadian Ninja » Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:54 am UTC

aetherson wrote:Dr. Canadian Ninja:
I used to drive a '96 model of that car.
I got around 30-35 mpg in town. You should get it looked at...seriously. There might be something wrong. :?

I would, but honestly, the people around here I take it to are phenomenal idiots. And if this is coming from someone, there's got to be something wrong.

Example: You cannot drive my car for more than thirty seconds without hearing this god-awful screeching squealing monstrosity coming from the brakes. It's not the brakes being pushed in, but the brakes actually doing their job of slowing down a moving vehicle. I take it in and they say they never heard the noise. After I asked if they had taken it out to see what I meant or even after I recorded the sound and played it back for them.

Once I move elsewhere and I have the money to afford it to be looked at again, I will have it looked at in another state.
SecondTalon wrote:Know what I hate? The complete lack of electric bass guitar in Baroque stuff. I mean, come on!

julius

Postby julius » Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:16 am UTC

vqcg wrote:My girl, Alice: 2006 Toyota Aygo.

How are you liking that one? I've been vaguely contemplating getting rid of my ass-car Fiat (see above) - much as I like it, it's about as reliable as you'd expect from a Fiat that's nearly ten years old. That, and the fuel economy. Plus, my parents' Prius is making me consider Toyota quite seriously. Not sure I can afford/justify the price of a newish Aygo (it hasn't been out that long, has it?), but it's definitely on my list if I decide I want a new car...

vqcg

Postby vqcg » Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:55 am UTC

julius wrote:
vqcg wrote:My girl, Alice: 2006 Toyota Aygo.

How are you liking that one? I've been vaguely contemplating getting rid of my ass-car Fiat (see above) - much as I like it, it's about as reliable as you'd expect from a Fiat that's nearly ten years old. That, and the fuel economy. Plus, my parents' Prius is making me consider Toyota quite seriously. Not sure I can afford/justify the price of a newish Aygo (it hasn't been out that long, has it?), but it's definitely on my list if I decide I want a new car...

I got her pretty much as soon as the Aygo was out (before there were any other colours in fact! Shame, I would have loved her in black) so yes, the Aygo is still quite new.
I haven't driven many other cars so my perspective is probably not great. But she's great. Comfy inside, at least in the front, but tiny tiny (easy to park, yay!) outside. With the back seats folded down it's pretty easy to get a lot of stuff in there - I've done a weeks worth of camping stuff for two people, and I put a wheelchair in there fairly regularly. I've never had any trouble with her, but I guess that's what you'd expect from any new car.

REALLY good fuel economy, I'll be able to let you know exactly how much I'm getting out of her when I next fill up :)

My gripes are only minor: three-door (which is my own fault since it comes in a five-door version), the digital fuel display is a pain, the back windows are tiny little portholes which make manouvres difficult to judge, and, well ... I'd like to drive a car with acceleration one day but that's what I get for having a little girly hatchback with 68bhp :p

I don't know much about cars so I don't know what to say. But I am incredibly happy with her. :D
vqcg :: 19/female/bisexual/British

julius

Postby julius » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:18 pm UTC

vqcg wrote:I haven't driven many other cars so my perspective is probably not great. But she's great. Comfy inside, at least in the front, but tiny tiny (easy to park, yay!) outside. With the back seats folded down it's pretty easy to get a lot of stuff in there - I've done a weeks worth of camping stuff for two people, and I put a wheelchair in there fairly regularly. I've never had any trouble with her, but I guess that's what you'd expect from any new car.

That, and Toyota's reputation for reliability. Although the Aygo is identical to the Peugeot 107 and the Citroen C1, so God knows who actually makes the things...

vqcg wrote:REALLY good fuel economy, I'll be able to let you know exactly how much I'm getting out of her when I next fill up :)

So I've heard. One of the main reasons I'm looking into that one.

vqcg wrote:My gripes are only minor: three-door (which is my own fault since it comes in a five-door version), the digital fuel display is a pain, the back windows are tiny little portholes which make manouvres difficult to judge, and, well ... I'd like to drive a car with acceleration one day but that's what I get for having a little girly hatchback with 68bhp :p

Well, 68 bhp on a car that small probably gets you better acceleration than my Fiat. That's got about 100 bhp, but it's MUCH bigger. Even better, I have driven said Fiat when it had an engine fault and was getting probably about half its rated power (if that). That wasn't fun, but it still moved...

vqcg

Postby vqcg » Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:14 pm UTC

julius wrote:Although the Aygo is identical to the Peugeot 107 and the Citroen C1, so God knows who actually makes the things...

Yes, it's the same body, and IIRC the Aygo is a bit more expensive (new) than the other two, so it might be worth considering them also.
vqcg :: 19/female/bisexual/British

micco

Postby micco » Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:26 pm UTC

So here is a picture of my car:
Spoiler:

And our RV. I really should learn to drive that, won`t be easy though, it has fuller-transmission.
Spoiler:
An anarchist is a person that makes oatmeal and blows it up.

Flying Betty

Postby Flying Betty » Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:35 am UTC

Update: NEW CAR!!!!!!

I just bought a brand new Mazda 3. It's pretty. And blue. And not sucky. None of which were really true for my old car. Here's a link to someone else's picture, since I just bought mine and it's too dark to take my own.

http://images.paultan.org/uploads/2007/ ... atch_2.jpg
Belial wrote:The future is here, and it is cyberpunk as hell.

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:06 am UTC

<3 all the new Mazdas. Good choice.

stony-p

Postby stony-p » Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:10 am UTC

Fiat Punto Sporting '97

1.6L, 3-door in that darkish red colour I can't name. I probably get 30mpg from it. (Just did an approximate calculation and nearly had a heart attack before I realised that I'd worked it out in in miles per litre) So around £30 per week for me to top up at the pumps.

ishikiri

Postby ishikiri » Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:32 pm UTC

Dr. Canadian Ninja wrote:
I got around 30-35 mpg in town. You should get it looked at...seriously. There might be something wrong. :?

I would, but honestly, the people around here I take it to are phenomenal idiots. And if this is coming from someone, there's got to be something wrong.

Example: You cannot drive my car for more than thirty seconds without hearing this god-awful screeching squealing monstrosity coming from the brakes. It's not the brakes being pushed in, but the brakes actually doing their job of slowing down a moving vehicle. I take it in and they say they never heard the noise. After I asked if they had taken it out to see what I meant or even after I recorded the sound and played it back for them.

Once I move elsewhere and I have the money to afford it to be looked at again, I will have it looked at in another state.

That sounds like your brake pads have worn down, where the rubber has worn away and the metal is showing through, rubbing on the disc: Not good. You'll need them changing sharpish or you may need the discs/whole brake changing. Most garages would avoid looking for that as it is a massive hassle taking apart and putting together a brake. Lots of springs and fiddly bits and whatnot.
clintonius wrote:The "thwak thwak thwak" in this movie makes me think they cranked up a powerpoint slideshow of angry pictures set to the soundtrack of a furious masturbator.

Sine Nomen

Postby Sine Nomen » Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:01 pm UTC

It was a sad day
Spoiler:

This was how it looked when I left the shop that evening.
Spoiler:

esoteric what's with the black front clam? Is it the result of crash damage?
EDIT: Nevermind, now I see the weave. Still, the nose is kinda of a goofy place to drop weight on an Elise. Why not replace the rear clam?

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby PictureSarah » Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:13 pm UTC

My car is a 2002 Chevy Cavalier. It's unremarkable. I love it. It gets good gas mileage, and is inconspicuous. Meaning, it's not the kind of car that the highway patrol looks for when it's going 80 in a 65 zone.
Attachments
car.jpg
car.jpg (266.1 KiB) Viewed 8391 times
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

Shadic

Postby Shadic » Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:12 pm UTC

2002 Cavalier.. Is that after they redid the rear on those things? I disliked the backs on the newer makes.

But kudos for the Cavalier. (Look on the first page, if you want. :roll: )

la_negra

Postby la_negra » Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:55 pm UTC

My darling. Skoda Octavia 1.8 20V, '97
Spoiler:
From city to city, from dawn to dawn and the whole generation is on the run. Goodbye to the past, hello to the future, as the struggle continues, there's no fate... http://www.la-negra.ic.cz

benjhuey

Postby benjhuey » Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:29 pm UTC

Sine Nomen wrote:It was a sad day
Spoiler:

What happened there? That's some odd looking damage.
多么现在棕色母牛?

Sine Nomen

Postby Sine Nomen » Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:21 pm UTC

benjhuey wrote:
Sine Nomen wrote:It was a sad day
Spoiler:

What happened there? That's some odd looking damage.

As best as I can piece all of it together:
Wet pavement, dark, partially obscured windscreen from snow/ice. Long righthand curving ramp from interstate to interstate. Right at the end of the ramp, there's a small rise were the ramp transitions onto the freeway. Rear tires momentarily lost traction on the back side of the pavement seam. Car yawed out to about 30deg and regained traction when it settled back down. Darted quickly to the right off the road and into the start of the guard rail. Wet ground caused the guardrail to deflect all the way to the ground creating a ramp for the right side of the car to ride up on and flip over. Landed hard on the right side of the car and slid mostly nose first 40 to 50 feet until coming to a stop.
Driver exited unharmed through the still operable door window. Luckily there was no passenger present as they would have had a BAD day when the rightside roof structure collapsed to the level of the top of the seat.

For anyone interested, here's the rest of the pictures:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

It's worth mentioning that the massive hole in the roof was sealed by a fiberglass panel that stayed in place until the wrecker flipped the car back onto its wheels.

wst

Postby wst » Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:36 pm UTC

My uncle has one of those :cry:
I looove them. Actually near to tears, breaks my heart to see a good'un in a state like that.

Never clicking spoilers again. :(
Anything I said pre-2014 that you want to quote me on, just run it past me to check I still agree with myself.

Sine Nomen

Postby Sine Nomen » Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:42 pm UTC

wst wrote:My uncle has one of those :cry:
I looove them. Actually near to tears, breaks my heart to see a good'un in a state like that.

Never clicking spoilers again. :(

You think those pictures make you sad? Dude, I loved that car. The really sad part is, it will probably be a long time before I have both the time and money to own another one. :(

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:34 pm UTC

ishikiri wrote:Most garages would avoid looking for that as it is a massive hassle taking apart and putting together a brake. Lots of springs and fiddly bits and whatnot.

Wait, what? No it's not, unless you're talking drum brakes, but then there's shoes, not pads. Replacing a rotor on *most cars* (there's some obnoxious exceptions, of course *cough XJS*) is a simple job and can be done by someone who doesn't do it all day in a half hour per wheel. Just checking the pads themselves is even easier, of course. Disc brakes are incredibly simple pieces of machinery. Even drums aren't that bad if you know what you're doing.

PatrickRsGhost

Postby PatrickRsGhost » Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:12 pm UTC

Spoiler:
ishikiri wrote:
Dr. Canadian Ninja wrote:

That sounds like your brake pads have worn down, where the rubber has worn away and the metal is showing through, rubbing on the disc: Not good. You'll need them changing sharpish or you may need the discs/whole brake changing. Most garages would avoid looking for that as it is a massive hassle taking apart and putting together a brake. Lots of springs and fiddly bits and whatnot.

Bad brakes = VERY BAD THING for your car. Trust me. Been there, done that. Got all the lovely souvenirs.

I had a '96 Nissan Sentra that belonged to my grandma. I took it over after she died because I was driving from one side of the state to the other, and I thought that (A) that car was in better condition, and (B) that car would give me better gas mileage than the Nissan pick-up I had. I was 0 for 2 as far as being right.

The brakes were going bad for some time. I couldn't afford it for a while. One day I heard something go *clunk* under the car while I was driving down the highway. Didn't think anything of it. Thought it might have been an acorn shell that some damn squirrel or chipmunk stored up somewhere in undercarriage. It wasn't until I began backing down my driveway one fine Saturday when I realized something was dreadfully wrong. You know something isn't right when you back down a sloped driveway, and the brake pedal goes all the way to the floor. Luckily there was no oncoming traffic. I turned it sharply, and parked it under a tree at the bottom of the driveway. I went back in the house, called my dad, and asked him to bring the pick-up. They were going to sell it, but for the time being he kept it as a back-up vehicle. He brought it over, and I drove him back home.

The following weekend I took the car to a nearby mechanic that was right around the corner from my house. I got in the car, and as I began heading down the road, I heard a loud *KA-CHUNK-A-CHINK-TINK*. I didn't know what it was, but had an inkling it was not good, and was more than likely a brake pad. I drove up another street, which was a hill, and at the top of the hill was a stop sign. I was pretty much hugging the curb the entire trip. Although it was only less than a quarter of a mile, it felt like a hundred. I got to the shop, and came within inches of hitting the building. They saw I needed new brakes.

I wish I had kept the brakepad to take a picture of. Would be a damn good reminder to anyone.

I traded the Nissan in back in April 2006, since I was getting fed up with all the money it was costing me (had oil leaks out the ass, replaced alternator twice) for a 2005 Ford Focus ZX4 Sedan. Pictures coming soon.
PRG

An important message for you:

Pixel

Postby Pixel » Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:48 pm UTC

Shiney! A car thread.

My daily-driver 2004 Scion xB named "Box". Fairly comfy, tons of room, dead reliable and averages over 33mpg.
Spoiler:

My toy, "Emily". She's a 1962 Mercury Comet Custom. I've been slowly restoring her for the last four years. She's got a completely upgraded drivetrain, disc brakes, and is going in this Thursday for a custom dual exhaust with Smithys glasspack mufflers.
Spoiler:

I've also owned this, that, one of these, one of those, and this one too. Not to mention a few other less interesting things in between.

I'll stop there, since I can geek out on cars all day.
Some people have a genuine gift of poetry, a way with words that surpasses beauty and touches the deepest parts of one's soul... and some people, um, thingy.

"Less bite, more wobble"

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:58 pm UTC

Pixel wrote:Shiney! A car thread.

My daily-driver 2004 Scion xB named "Box". Fairly comfy, tons of room, dead reliable and averages over 33mpg.
Spoiler:

Zero to 60 in sometimes. :P

I kid, they're pretty much the perfect commuter car and the redesign makes me sad since now they're just another van looking thing.

aetherson

Postby aetherson » Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:00 pm UTC

Endless Mike wrote:
ishikiri wrote:Most garages would avoid looking for that as it is a massive hassle taking apart and putting together a brake. Lots of springs and fiddly bits and whatnot.

Wait, what? No it's not, unless you're talking drum brakes, but then there's shoes, not pads. Replacing a rotor on *most cars* (there's some obnoxious exceptions, of course *cough XJS*) is a simple job and can be done by someone who doesn't do it all day in a half hour per wheel. Just checking the pads themselves is even easier, of course. Disc brakes are incredibly simple pieces of machinery. Even drums aren't that bad if you know what you're doing.

Actually, I would check your fluid levels.
It almost sounds like they're engaging incorrectly.
Does this sound only occur when actually "braking" or is it constant?
01001101 01100001 01100100 01100101 00100000 01011001 01101111 01110101 00100000 01001100 01101111 01101111 01101011 00100001

Pixel

Postby Pixel » Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:10 pm UTC

Endless Mike wrote:
Pixel wrote:Shiney! A car thread.

Spoiler:

Zero to 60 in sometimes. :P

I kid, they're pretty much the perfect commuter car and the redesign makes me sad since now they're just another van looking thing.

Yep, all the aerodynamics of my fridge, and nearly as much horsepower. :)

I'm actually impressed, the engine & manual trans work together surprisingly well to make it *feel* quick, even if it is more enthusiasm than actual horsepower.
Some people have a genuine gift of poetry, a way with words that surpasses beauty and touches the deepest parts of one's soul... and some people, um, thingy.

"Less bite, more wobble"

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:42 pm UTC

Actually, I hadn't noticed the black steelies, but that's a surprisingly good look for that. Were you running winters or is that just how you have it?

Pixel

Postby Pixel » Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:51 pm UTC

Endless Mike wrote:Actually, I hadn't noticed the black steelies, but that's a surprisingly good look for that. Were you running winters or is that just how you have it?

That's how I run it. It is hard to tell in that shot, but they are actually graphite grey. I hate plastic hubcaps, and haven't had much luck with alloys (I tend to bend them). So I went with the easiest solution.

Spoiler:

"Less bite, more wobble"

wst

Postby wst » Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:08 pm UTC

Those wheels work with the box. About the only thing those wheels work with, but niiice.

Nice numberplate. Hehe.
Anything I said pre-2014 that you want to quote me on, just run it past me to check I still agree with myself.

taptap
I laughed so hard i fell out of my concubine

Postby taptap » Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:00 pm UTC

Almost financed one. I was right up to being ready to sign the contract but I pulled out when I got a call from my local dealer that an '02 concorde had just come in used with 8000 on the odometer. Had to go for it. At that time I was heavily into car audio and the stock amplified 9 speaker setup with the premium infiniti audio was enough to turn and walk away from the deal. Also the scion dealer would only go down to an astonishing 17% on the apr rate.... the concorde's was 6%.

I still wonder what life would be like had I gotten the xB. They are so awesome (except for the new redesign!)

Davean wrote:Only the bots can see the entire forum the mods have dedicated to bashing taptap for asking questions with obvious answers. It should look good when his next interviewer Googles him before the interview.

Quadropus

Postby Quadropus » Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:17 pm UTC

Here be my ride:
Possibly the most feminine bike known to man. But, I have just purchased this to go on it:
Thats right, I'm adding a klaxon to my bike. What of it??

"If I go insane, please don't put your wires in my brain"

shinybaby
In-Tents
Location: formerly Toronto, now London (Ontario)... anyone here??

Postby shinybaby » Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:21 pm UTC

Quadropus wrote:...Possibly the most feminine bike known to man...
feminine? i don't know... that's a pretty sexy scooter!! :D i've always wanted one, but it's not really practical for me... :(
Gordon wrote:1) Meet Gordon
2) Deploy Gordon
3) ...
4) Profit!!!

Quadropus

Postby Quadropus » Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:40 pm UTC

I got it fairly cheap as well, even though it was in brand new condition when I bought it.

Can't wait to get my klaxon on there though...

"If I go insane, please don't put your wires in my brain"

Goatboy
may become less boring.

Postby Goatboy » Tue May 06, 2008 1:08 am UTC

ImageSo, I finally got some pictures of Petra, my '94 Buick LeSabre. That's about it.
I have nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion.
And some old pictures.

Col. Mustard

Postby Col. Mustard » Fri May 16, 2008 1:34 am UTC

I bought my sweet ass-car for cheap. A 1988 Mercedes 560SEC for $2500. It is in remarkably good shape for its' age.

This is not mine, but it is the same.
Spoiler:

Also I just recently got these AMG wheels for it (used).
Spoiler:

Pixel

Postby Pixel » Fri May 16, 2008 2:45 pm UTC

Possibly off-topic, but they are a mode of transportation. I just finished kitting out my cruiser bike.
Spoiler:
Its a Schwinn Panther, I installed installed a springer fork, ducktail fenders, 140 spoke rims, whitewalls and a chrome chain. I *need* to do some real riding this year.

This is my other bike, it looks really cool, but sadly it is kinda small for me (I'm 6'1") to ride properly.

"Less bite, more wobble"

mobikwa

Postby mobikwa » Fri May 16, 2008 5:26 pm UTC

I drive a red 99 Mercury Cougar. I had an intake and exhaust on it but got rid of them when I realized how much of a tool I was for having them.
I cant wait till I can afford a new car or someone steals this one.

benjhuey

Postby benjhuey » Sat May 17, 2008 5:20 am UTC

@Pixel: So old-school, I love it.
多么现在棕色母牛?

Return to “General”