That's a sweet ass-car! Post your xkcd-mobile

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

RadioImp

Re: That's a sweet ass-car! Post your xkcd-mobile

Postby RadioImp » Sat May 17, 2008 9:01 am UTC

My pride and joy:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

'91 Rover Cooper, one of the last with the carb 1275 engine.

bananarchy

Postby bananarchy » Mon May 19, 2008 9:51 pm UTC

RadioImp wrote:My pride and joy:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

'91 Rover Cooper, one of the last with the carb 1275 engine.

You are my hero. It's terribly unfortunate those things are so hard to come by in the states, I would rock that SO hard.

NSNick

Postby NSNick » Mon May 19, 2008 10:42 pm UTC

I love my little '85 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce:

Spoiler:

LinuxPenguin

Postby LinuxPenguin » Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:59 pm UTC

NSNick wrote:I love my little '85 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice!

Mine:
(1986 BMW 5 series) She is in really good condition, with only a few minor cosmetic issues, which i am slowly fixing.
 Mac User (Running OS X, Linux, and Chrome OS)

singlefin

Postby singlefin » Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:14 pm UTC

Allow me to present Guinevere, my favourite toy / means of transport / ongoing project / mobile boudoir

Spoiler:

LinuxPenguin

Postby LinuxPenguin » Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:55 pm UTC

singlefin, niiice.

Want to trade? Wait, no... never-mind. :p I'm too attached to mine.

scrovak

Postby scrovak » Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:43 pm UTC

singlefin wrote:Allow me to present Guinevere, my favourite toy / means of transport / ongoing project / mobile boudoir

Spoiler:

I love it! I have a thing for off-road capable vehicles. I'm looking to finance an F250 or an F150. Preference, if money allowed, would be the black F250, lift kit, offroad tires, new suspension, truckbox, roof-top lighting kit, front cattle-bumper with built-in winch assembly and additional lighting, tinted windows, and red undercarriage lights for just under the chrome step. That would bemy beast of a ride. Now, I'm stuck with a '96 TOyotal Corolla which has seen far better days. (pre-deer impact).

As for the brakes issue, it coudl be either the brakes or one of your belts. Bothe easy jobs. If it's the brakes, it's probably pads (because as far as I knwo, only bigger, more heavy duty vehicles have shoes). As far as the springs and adjustments, etc, I think you're talking about calibrating the brake calipers. The calipers may have to be removed to replace the rotors, but it's nothing serious. Speaking of which, i should probably replace my brakes this week, and inspect the rotors...
MrGee wrote:I would never eat a person. Have you seen the conditions they're raised in?
kapojinha wrote:You're amazing, which is why I'm going to marry you.

Angua wrote:coordinated baby attacks

asad137

Postby asad137 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:07 am UTC

My car:

Spoiler:
DSCN1218.jpg
DSCN1218.jpg (111.8 KiB) Viewed 3922 times
DSCN1212.jpg
DSCN1212.jpg (123.82 KiB) Viewed 3922 times

1992 240SX SE, turbocharged by me.

Also, don't try this at home, kids:
Spoiler:
speed2.jpg
speed2.jpg (57.69 KiB) Viewed 3919 times

Asad

scrovak

Postby scrovak » Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:39 am UTC

Asad, where's that at, the salt plains?
MrGee wrote:I would never eat a person. Have you seen the conditions they're raised in?
kapojinha wrote:You're amazing, which is why I'm going to marry you.

Angua wrote:coordinated baby attacks

asad137

Postby asad137 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:53 am UTC

scrovak wrote:Asad, where's that at, the salt plains?

U.S. 50 I-80 somewhere in Nevada. Straight, flat, visibility for 50 miles in every direction.

Asad

muktowngiant68

Postby muktowngiant68 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:19 pm UTC

Spoiler:
0412090717b.jpg
0412090717b.jpg (529.75 KiB) Viewed 3869 times

Waldo

Postby Waldo » Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:19 am UTC

Fresh from getting new tires, a new paint job, and four new computers in a row (no wonder Chrysler was in such lousy shape):

Spoiler:
DSCN6883.JPG
DSCN6883.JPG (986.67 KiB) Viewed 3855 times

I wonder if you can get those dark-colored taillight covers for Jeeps. Then I could make it toally monochrome :lol:
[Signature pending...]

LinuxPenguin

Postby LinuxPenguin » Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:34 pm UTC

Waldo wrote:Fresh from getting new tires, a new paint job, and four new computers in a row (no wonder Chrysler was in such lousy shape):

Spoiler:
DSCN6883.JPG

I wonder if you can get those dark-colored taillight covers for Jeeps. Then I could make it toally monochrome

Generally, IMO,the plastic covers that achieve that effect look like arse on the Grand Chuckie. You get a much better effect if you tint the lights themselves (using a spray on application, that goes onto the actual taillamp assembly). The downside is that that is a bit more permanent. Also... You may want to do something about those yellowed headlamps first, IMO. Not only do they look a bit :(, but it's a safety issue as well (reduced light output). You don't necessarily need to replace them, generally they can be polished to de-yellowify them. You may want to check out JeepForum.com, if you aren't already a member there.

Looks really good, tho. I always had a thing for the older Grand Cherokees. Friend of mine had a red one, with the rare 5 speed manual gearbox.

-Cheers!

Waldo

Postby Waldo » Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:59 pm UTC

LinuxPenguin wrote:
Waldo wrote:Fresh from getting new tires, a new paint job, and four new computers in a row (no wonder Chrysler was in such lousy shape):

Spoiler:
DSCN6883.JPG

I wonder if you can get those dark-colored taillight covers for Jeeps. Then I could make it toally monochrome

Generally, IMO,the plastic covers that achieve that effect look like arse on the Grand Chuckie. You get a much better effect if you tint the lights themselves (using a spray on application, that goes onto the actual taillamp assembly). The downside is that that is a bit more permanent. Also... You may want to do something about those yellowed headlamps first, IMO. Not only do they look a bit :(, but it's a safety issue as well (reduced light output). You don't necessarily need to replace them, generally they can be polished to de-yellowify them. You may want to check out JeepForum.com, if you aren't already a member there.

Looks really good, tho. I always had a thing for the older Grand Cherokees. Friend of mine had a red one, with the rare 5 speed manual gearbox.

-Cheers!

Yeah, all the lights need some work. It's on the fix list.

Thanks for the forum link, I'll have to give it a looksee. The older Grand Cherokees are still my favorite small SUVs. I wish mine had 4WD, but it's technically a "family car", which is family-speak for "You got no say in the buying process, so shut up and drive happy". Or something.
[Signature pending...]

vslayer

Postby vslayer » Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:32 am UTC

same model as mine, except much tidier. mine is matte black/5 years of road dust twin colour.

Magilla

Postby Magilla » Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:16 am UTC

Spoiler:
This is exactly the same as mine, but mine has 257000km on it ('99 model). I get 800km to a tank (68l) on the open road, which according to google, is 27.7mpg. I get just over half that in town (due to my overweight right foot :P )

I also have one of these, with 480km on the clock. Lots of fun :D

I want a BMW M3 or RX7 next...
They perceive my perambulations upon my gyroscopically-balanced personal transportation device, and have thus concluded that I am of Caucasian decent, and, while intelligent, I am also somewhat socially inept. - Peculiar Alfred

Dutchlike

Postby Dutchlike » Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:00 pm UTC

For those of you that are saying you're getting good milage, i'm getting 180 MPG on the new Solex Black 'n Roll i just got today :D.
If i can find my camera i'll take some pictures, in the meantime i've plucked one of of google.
I do still have one small problem, i don't have a moped-driving-liscence (wich is required in the Netherlands :\ ).
Last edited by Dutchlike on Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:22 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Splendid

Postby Splendid » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:13 pm UTC

@muktowngiant: You have my dream car my friend. Very nice car. Although currently I'm paying off my dad for this one here, I still get to race it for him. 8)

Bought this '69 fastback Cuda for $3800 US and had a best 1/4 mi ET of 14.75 with a stock 318ci with a 4 barrel. Then after a sucessful season we spent a little more and put in a 360ci, best so far 12.74 @ 104. After updates to the chassis, rims, wheels, a gauge or two, and really everything that needs updating on a 40 year old car to feel safe running at 100+ every weekend, I estimate we're getting mighty close to $8000 in the car. What I love most is that everything is still stock on the inside.

My daily driver is a '99 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab.

LinuxPenguin

Postby LinuxPenguin » Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:44 am UTC

Two more of mine, 'cause, you know... imma pic whore! :P

Magilla

Postby Magilla » Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:47 am UTC

The steering-wheel appears to be on the wrong side :shock:
They perceive my perambulations upon my gyroscopically-balanced personal transportation device, and have thus concluded that I am of Caucasian decent, and, while intelligent, I am also somewhat socially inept. - Peculiar Alfred

LinuxPenguin

Postby LinuxPenguin » Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:06 am UTC

Magilla wrote:The steering-wheel appears to be on the wrong side :shock:

It's on the correct side for the US. I could flip the image in photoshop though, if it would make you feel better. :P

EDIT: Oh and, seeing as my photos are in black & white, my car is Delphin Metallic, which is a sort of dark grey.

SquareRootofBlue

Postby SquareRootofBlue » Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:18 pm UTC

I hope this isn't considered bumping but I think I have an interesting contribution make.

Mine's a 2001 Corsa (Opal) C (don't have a picture of it handy so I linked to one I found on Google) unfortunately everything's manual, central locking's as fancy as it gets and it drinks twice as much petrol when I take a route to work that includes fast roads (i.e. ones with 50 mph speed limits) than it does for the same usage on slower roads.

Anyway, I decided that it was not nearly geeky enough for me so I decided to build and install an in car PC. Currently it can play MP3s (have itunes on there and use it to purchase and download songs), full length films at pretty good quality, get FM radio all through an amp and the original speakers which is cheap and cheerful and gives decent quality, and I'm working on getting the GPS sorted. :) In case anyone's wondering I made the box myself out of MDF because I couldn't find one that'd fit under the passenger seat.
Spoiler:

Unfortunately it ended up taking a lot longer to do and costing a lot more than I originally intended and just when I was finishing nettops came out which might have been ideal. Nevermind, it's been an interesting project.
Attachments
Centrafuse main screen.JPG
Centrafuse main screen.JPG (342.73 KiB) Viewed 3606 times
case.JPG
case.JPG (173.16 KiB) Viewed 3605 times
You think that's air you're breathing now?

News stories that should be making the headlines: http://twitter.com/SquareRootofRed

Dutchlike

Postby Dutchlike » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:11 am UTC

*This might also be considered a bump, but what the heck*

I finally came around to making some pictures, oh...and i also got my license the first try! :D

Had to fit a bell because the claxon doesn't work when the light is on :\

Return to “General”