Can I has some violence?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

How many physical fights have you been in?

38%
15%
2-3
26%
4-6
8%
7-11
4%
12-20
1%
20+
8%

Total votes: 222

Irrational (?)

Can I has some violence?

Postby 3.14159265... » Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:38 pm UTC

I thought of this when reading the thread about pacifism.

I am a pacifist. I have gotten into 3 fights. By fights I mean some sort of physical contact (i.e. Punching, kicking, etc)

First: Three kids tried to bullied me and I kicked their asses :D WOOT, I was a little kid too. Caught them by surprise I suppose
Second: Kid wanted to fight me, got peer pressured into accepting it, gave a few, took a few he walked off.
Third: Broke up a fight when extremely intoxicated, the kid whose fight I had broken up decided to grab me from behind and punch me. Got knocked out cold, and got stitches.

I don't see much of a problem with the physicality of "honourable" fights in younger kids as it is natural. But anytime after grade 9ish, I think it's dumb.
"The best times in life are the ones when you can genuinely add a "Bwa" to your "ha""- Chris Hastings

vqcg

Re: Can I has some violence?

Postby vqcg » Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:58 pm UTC

Only one real one. I was 16 I think. I was walking along the street with a few mates (there were maybe ... 6 of us? two guys, four girls), one of whom was a gothy/stoner type who had lots of people who didn't particularly like him. He got jumped by 7 or 8 lads a couple of years older than us who were whaling on him pretty badly. My mates all started yelling, etc, but I was the only one who jumped in for a couple of punches.
I admit I played on the social conventions that guys are hesitant to hit girls, which I HATE doing, but ... didn't have a whole lot of choice. I wasn't going to stand there and not do anything!
The fight broke up when one of the ringleaders realised his mam was friends with my the mam of my then-girlfriend, who was with us, and that he would be found out/get a right bollocking.
The police came by a few minutes later because an elderly couple nearby had phoned them, but we didn't get in any trouble and we didn't report these older teenagers either.

Other than that - just the usual sibling stuff (that has occasionally got pretty violent)/playfighting with friends. I don't count either of these things.
vqcg :: 19/female/bisexual/British

parkaboy
who dwells between the borders of time

Postby parkaboy » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:14 pm UTC

only one that i can remember - i was in third grade. my best friend and i battled it out on her front lawn over a group project for school. I had come over to work on it TWICE that week and despite knowing i was coming over, she had buggered off to some other kids house. I was annoyed and wanted a good grade. She was hindering my academic progress. It came to fisticuffs.

Back in our day we had to walk uphill both ways through the snow on fire without feet to get fucking terrible relationship advice from disinterested and socially maladjusted nerds. Belial

sophyturtle
I'll go put my shirt back on for this kind of shock. No I won't. I'll get my purse.

Postby sophyturtle » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:34 pm UTC

If physical contact is all we need (like pushing) over 20. if we mean things considered assault and battery by the law, probably also over 20. But most of it has been with guys. Does that count?
I want to get to a place where I am neither conforming nor rebelling but simply being.

22/7
I'm pretty sure I have "The Slavery In My Asshole" on DVD.

Postby 22/7 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:54 pm UTC

A couple of times when I was young, and helped break up a fight in a bar once (or rather, contain it) and that involved a couple of shoves and turning a table over on a guy. Scary night.
Totally not a hypothetical...

Steroid wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:If your economic reality is a choice, then why are you not as rich as Bill Gates?
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

Reid

Postby Reid » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:57 pm UTC

Wow. Either I'm defining a fight far differently than the rest of you or I've led a far more violent life than I would have suspected. I was the traditional shy and quiet geeky kid back in elementary school, lived next to the neighborhood bully, and had a brother who was fairly close to my age. Just sitting here and thinking about it I came up with about 20 fights, and I know there were a lot more of them.

Edit: For clarity, none of those 20 involved my brother. Well, actually that's not true. None of those 20 involved me fighting against my brother. We did back each other up a few times.
Last edited by Reid on Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:29 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

ZeroSum
Cooler than Jeff

Postby ZeroSum » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:00 pm UTC

I do believe having a tussle with your sibling shouldn't count for this poll.

22/7

Postby 22/7 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:03 pm UTC

I certainly am not counting it (I picked 2-3). I am, however, counting shoving where I actually considered hitting the guy (or was preparing for him to hit me), which does not happen very often with me.

Steroid wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:If your economic reality is a choice, then why are you not as rich as Bill Gates?
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

wst

Postby wst » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:08 pm UTC

20+
Easily. One where I got cut (by my glasses frame), but the other guy didn't go on the school bus for a week because he was scared (wtf?!)
We're like, best friends now.
Another was immediately before an exam, resulting in me sort of being guided to the nurse while trying to not blled on everyone. Oh, there was a trail of blood along the corridor.
And various tussles and stuff, when people jack my schoolbag. Poking adam's apples, pulling down stairs, picking up and dropping, in one case just leaping at them and hanging from their neck (in a headlock- I was shorter than them).
But nothing majorly serious. Well, only the few I've mentioned n kinda detail here, all but one of which resulting in some kind of school-parent-bus company discussion.
Anything I said pre-2014 that you want to quote me on, just run it past me to check I still agree with myself.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:10 pm UTC

sophyturtle wrote:if we mean things considered assault and battery by the law, probably also over 20. But most of it has been with guys. Does that count?

Dunno if it counts because it'd legally be assault, or because it's *awesome*, but the one where you picked up the football player by his neck when he was following you and yelling at you definitely counts. :-)

And I picked 1, but I honestly can't remember anything that would really be considered a fight. I figured I'd probably forgotten at least one, though, so picked that. (Again, sibling rivalry doesn't count.)

How about diffusing violence? As in, a crazy drunk chasing people with a machete? Does the pacifism discussion have a poll for how many potentially very very bad fights you had a hand in preventing?
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

asanisimasa

Postby asanisimasa » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:22 pm UTC

None that I can remember, so I chose 0. I was never confrontational or anything. I was always the kid in the back who no one really hated or thought much of. I suppose I've been pushed or something, but nothing serious and nothing I can remember, I doubt I would consider it a fight.
"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." - Carl Sagan

Garm

Postby Garm » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:25 pm UTC

I chose 12-20. I got picked on a lot during grade school. Had to stand up for myself. Now... I play sports (and have for over 20 years) and that kinda skews things.
Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
- JFK

Klye

Postby Klye » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:29 pm UTC

I picked 2-3.

In 8th grade one of the "class bullies" would always ask me if I wanted to fight him, and I would just ignore him. After a while I got so tired of it though that when he asked me I caught him off gaurd by quickly saying yes, standing up and punching him right on some stitches on his arm. I don't remember if he started crying or not, but he was really close to it when he told me he didn't want to fight any more and asked the teacher if he could go to the nurse. She laughed at him and said no.

There were a few other things like that, but I like that story the best.
Phi wrote: Be careful when touching it though. It really expands.

Why would she say that?!?

doc leech

Postby doc leech » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:32 pm UTC

Zero, but that's not for lack of trying. :P

IF I ever get into my first real fight, my 28 years of pent up energy will make it epic... that or I'll die.
Float like a float-bot, sting like an automatic stinging machine

22/7

Postby 22/7 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:37 pm UTC

Klye wrote:She laughed at him and said no.

There were a few other things like that, but I like that story the best.

That story is indeed fantastic.

Garm wrote:Now... I play sports (and have for over 20 years) and that kinda skews things.
This reminded me of a fight I got into in middle school while playing basketball. One of the other guys on the team was a bit of a bully and he and I had gotten into it a few times on the court with elbows and what not. We got done running a drill and he ran at me. I was really surprised by it and threw my arm up to cover up for a punch and accidentally caught him in the mouth. The coach thought I did it on purpose and he benched me for a game. Ahh, middle school.

Steroid wrote:
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.

Postby Yakk » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:38 pm UTC

I had a sibling. So aleph-one fights there.

I was a young person. Another aleph-null up to the end of elementary school.

Another... 3 to 8 I guess ... since then? Biased towards the younger period.
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

Last edited by JHVH on Fri Oct 23, 4004 BCE 6:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Mr. Beck
Commencing Countdown, Engines On

Postby Mr. Beck » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:44 pm UTC

I put down zero.
The only thing that could even be considered close happened in 7th grade. Another person in my group of friends had been making accusations involving sexual orientation for about a month. (I'm a lot more open-minded now, by the way.) Anyway, one day he was at it again while we were waiting for class to get out, and I got mad enough to charge him and tackle him over a desk. Even then I got off of him pretty quickly, with no blows. He respected me after that, and we became good friends.
I guess I'm just not a violent person.

benjhuey

Postby benjhuey » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:54 pm UTC

I remember fighting against younger brother; I was probably 11 at the time (he was 9 or 10). Our much older cousins convinced us to duke it out for no other reason than their own entertainment.

I somehow avoided the fisticuffs (some by chance, others by my own accord) throughout high school, but believe me when I say that there were many opportunities.
多么现在棕色母牛?

Shizo

Postby Shizo » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:56 pm UTC

If "Fight Club" style fights count, then a lot. If not, then maybe.. five? My friends were bored and started their own fight club thing. They didn't do it right, though. A few days before the end of the year they were inviting guys to come. That was in..8th grade. I was one of the few who actually fought for blood. I had a lot of pent-up anger from assholes/bullies at the time. The others were pussies and just pushed/tripped the person. Good times.

The other couple of fights were little skirmishes with assholes/bullies.

AlwaysRelated

Postby AlwaysRelated » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:00 pm UTC

Various fights with one of my good friends. We'd duke it out over some stupid issue (I distinctly remember biting him at one time) and then go back to being friends. Also, in Grade 10 PE, some lazy jock/gangster/wannabe's hit a girl in football. Almost started a fight there. In that same class I anti-tackled one of them in football (our teacher was the football coach, go figure) and knocked him over instead of he knocking me over. That almost started a fight in the locker room, but I just walked away.

Sarr

Postby Sarr » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:30 pm UTC

One, and that wasn't really a big one. An person I know was pissing me off (teasing me about an F, I think). I whacked him in the nose, he hit me thrise. Nothing more. Really surprised I didn't get into it more knowing my temper.

[EDIT] - This is not counting play-fights with my brother, but those don't really count.
Rakysh wrote:Basically, xkcd is basically for punching into submission the dumb frat guy in your brain.

Irrational (?)

Postby 3.14159265... » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:34 pm UTC

Sibling fights don't count, my brother is 5 years older than me. We kept battling it out till I started winning :P

How about diffusing violence? As in, a crazy drunk chasing people with a machete? Does the pacifism discussion have a poll for how many potentially very very bad fights you had a hand in preventing?
I did that once, coming back from work dressed up in a white shirt and black pants. I see one of my friends from school standing inside a circle with another guy with about 60 people surrounding them. It was pretty much going to be a brawl between two groups. I had no knowledge of that so I thought it was just a party fight. I basicly walked in, talked to my friend and walked him home. Everyone had been surprised (Because they knew me as the school nerd), and didn't do anything :D
"The best times in life are the ones when you can genuinely add a "Bwa" to your "ha""- Chris Hastings

Adalwolf

Postby Adalwolf » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:06 pm UTC

12-20. I don't remember them all, so there might have been more. And the last one was several years ago.
Live with passion. Die with passion.

sethicus
Winner

Postby sethicus » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:23 pm UTC

see one of my posts in the intro thread. god, that night rocked my socks off!
Compromise: Lowering my standards so you can meet them.

Timequake

Postby Timequake » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:27 pm UTC

No real fights for me, I guess.
Being the oldest of four I've had countless fights with siblings, in addition to many semi-fights with friends, but nothing really serious.
GENERATION -i: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum. Square it, and then add i to the generation.

'; DROP DATABASE;--

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:32 pm UTC

Garm wrote:I chose 12-20. I got picked on a lot during grade school. Had to stand up for myself. Now... I play sports (and have for over 20 years) and that kinda skews things.
Same here. 20+ might be a bit of a stretch but I was always getting into these situations.

Now, non-physical fights... could take a while to count those.
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.

Reid

Postby Reid » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:37 pm UTC

Adalwolf wrote:12-20. I don't remember them all, so there might have been more. And the last one was several years ago.

I think I've only had one real fight since learning how to drive (which was about half a lifetime ago for me). That was work related, as I was a bailiff at the time and an unruly juvenile had decided he didn't need to wait for the judge to hear his case and could instead evade justice. Justice: 1, Kid: 0.

Irrational (?)

Postby 3.14159265... » Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:33 am UTC

Reid wrote:That was work related, as I was a bailiff at the time and an unruly juvenile had decided he didn't need to wait for the judge to hear his case and could instead evade justice. Justice: 1, Kid: 0.
Haha, pwned.

Balderdash

Postby Balderdash » Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:43 am UTC

I'm going to say 0

I've been in tussles and stuff before but I can't think of a time where I have actually seriously tried to physically harm someone or where someone tried to physically harm me.

Daeren Ryft

Postby Daeren Ryft » Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:41 am UTC

1 major, 1 minor. Major one may not be counted though.

I was in like 7th grade, and this dumbass who taunted me/shoved me around pretty much constantly kept it up (as usual) during art class. We were working with clay, and I had one of those sorta-sharp-sorta-dull clay knives you use to cut it apart, etch things into it, etc. After about 20 minutes of constant pestering, shoving, and threats, something finally popped in my head, I grabbed the clay knife and lunged at him with it screaming. The art teacher and a friend of mine had to hold me back while I literally saw red, swiping at the air with the knife and gibbering, and to this day I'm almost positive the kid pissed himself.

Minor one, it was just me smacking someone I know across the face, and they smacked me back, but it didnt go much further.
SecondTalon wrote:Did I mention that Robert Frost drives a rocket-car that's powered by constantly firing shotguns in my world?

Quixotess
No. Cookies.

Postby Quixotess » Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:49 am UTC

Not counting the sibling ones from when I was younger (I was actually quite physically aggressive and had trouble containing my anger; they got a lot of conks on the head)--not counting those, none I can think of.
Last edited by Quixotess on Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:14 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Raise up the torch and light the way.

michaelandjimi
Isn't Even Playing

Postby michaelandjimi » Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:56 am UTC

I don't think I've had any actual, non-sibling, fights. I count a fight as when multiple blows are exchanged between parties.

I've like, been hit and then hit back, and then they didn't hit me anymore. And hit and/or been hit once when one person's honour been insulted, but no actual fisticuffs.
Whelan wrote:Relax, have a good time, and hope for the bees ;)

aleflamedyud
wants your cookies

Postby aleflamedyud » Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:02 am UTC

Definitely 20+. I was a bastard of a kid, and it didn't help that everyone else had their own bad reasons for not liking me earlier in life.

I do a lot less fighting nowadays.
"With kindness comes naïveté. Courage becomes foolhardiness. And dedication has no reward. If you can't accept any of that, you are not fit to be a graduate student."

22/7

Postby 22/7 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:05 am UTC

aleflamedyud wrote:I do a lot less fighting nowadays.

That's probably a good thing.

Steroid wrote:
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

crowey
That's DOCTOR Crowey, to you

Postby crowey » Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:52 am UTC

I voted 20+ because I compete at martial arts (formerly TKD, now kung fu and MMA).
I don't know if that counts, but they were definitely fights.

I've been in 2 bouts of fisticuffs in the real world. Both started by the other person, both ended pretty quickly because I kicked their ass. :|

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:50 am UTC

crowey wrote:I voted 20+ because I compete at martial arts (formerly TKD, now kung fu and MMA).
I don't know if that counts, but they were definitely fights.

I've been in 2 bouts of fisticuffs in the real world. Both started by the other person, both ended pretty quickly because I kicked their ass. :|

Oh shit, I guess I should've voted 20+ as well.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

elminster

Postby elminster » Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:24 pm UTC

I voted 20+, although alot of them were from a younger age. Not that I started them, it's just I occasionally snapped when someone did something intensely annoying, like an unprovoked water dousing when your already in a bad mood.

I've had 4 organised fights (No padding, just a "Meet at [location] at [time]" kinda thing). 3 fights that had more than 1 person against me. 1 trip to the hospital (Yeah, 5+ vs one isn't a good idea. Bit more to it than that, but essentially it turned into that). On a couple of occasions I almost killed the guys, especially one case where the teachers were going to call an ambulance after he went purple and couldn't stand up. I wouldn't hit a girl, but I kinda did get into a fight with one, but it's a long story and you would have to know her personality and has only happened once.

I did have a thing against hitting people in the front of their face up till recently. Now I've done some training, far fitter than before and most importantly my mind set has adjusted to controlled aggression rather than blind rage, all which make me a better fighter than before. The last fight I got into was 4 years ago and almost one a couple of months ago (A friend got assaulted, but we weren't in a state that could defend. So I just broke it up), but I'm quite well prepared if it comes up again.

Nothing much beats the adrenaline rush of a real fight. Unfortunately adrenaline has other effects which can turn out to be bad.

The Mighty Thesaurus
In your library, eating your students

Postby The Mighty Thesaurus » Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:26 pm UTC

A bit of the old ultraviolence.
LE4dGOLEM wrote:your ability to tell things from things remains one of your skills.
Weeks wrote:Not only can you tell things from things, you can recognize when a thing is a thing

Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby PictureSarah » Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:44 pm UTC

I guess 0. I haven't fought back the times when violence has been done against me, although maybe I should have. A few times I slapped my ex boyfriend across the face for various offences, and I think twice punched him. He was generally apologetic about whatever slap-worthy thing he had done, although a few times we were equally angry and he just restrained himself, because I think he knew if he didn't he'd probably kill me.
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

tryptanymph
More metal than thou

Postby tryptanymph » Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:56 pm UTC

I've been in a fair few fights. High school bullies for some, but the rest were mugging attempts by chavs.

I can say though, every time a chav has tried that on me, barring once, I have beaten the living shit out of. The one time I didn't, I was in no state to fight. There was a gang of them, so I just walked away.

You see... when people hit me... I sort of... go insane.

My general approach, when attacked, is to scream bloody murder, and pounce the attacker. After that point it becomes a matter of relentlessly turning his face into a bloody pulp, whilst kneeling on his love spuds.

Here is a story of an attempted mugging, that I turned the other way. I spoiler'd it for people who don't like long descriptions of fights. Although I can't imagine why they'd be on this thread if they didn't!

Spoiler:
The best one was when I had been hit in the face from behind when walking home from a friend's house. It was dark, and I knew there was a CCTV camera watching the alley. I knew the main attack had been caught on camera, so I let loose on the guy. I turned around, grabbed his fist in my left hand, and kicked his legs from under him whilst putting my other hand on his chest (ju-jitsu classes stayed with me for a while). Then I literally stomped on his chest, and, as I said before, proceeded to bash his face in. He rolled around for a while, and then we were out of the camera's view, and he was unconscious (a wise move on his part). So I grabbed HIS wallet, glanced through it, pulled out £20, snapped his credit cards, and took his ID card. I threw the wallet back onto him, spat out some blood onto his nice, white hoodie, and walked off. I rang the police as I walked, quite cheerily home, and told them that I had witnessed a mugger getting his ass kicked on CCTV, and that he was laid out, and that they should come and pick him up and get the footage.

They didn't know it was me that did the ass kicking, but I got £20 out of that mugging. I just wish I'd taken a picture of the guy to show you. It gave meaning to, "You should've seen the other guy!" I had a bloody lip and a loose tooth for a few days, and I'm fairy sure he had a badly broken nose, two black eyes, and a swollen FACE.

I'm a skinny guy, but I pack a lot of anger.
phlip wrote:sleepy, the only thing you're worse at is being not awesome.*
*All links to be treated as NFSW.

Return to “General”