Names

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Rigu-chan
Location: Permanently glued to a chair in front of this screen.

Names

Postby Rigu-chan » Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:32 pm UTC

So, I am doing my first (maybe?) post on this forum, and posing a very difficult question to you.
My boyfriend--21, tall, hairy, nerdy--just got himself an Eee PC.

I--19, tiny, pale, and almost as nerdy--am attempting to name it.

However, nothing I can think of seems appropriate.

What I know about the Tiny Computer:
- It is tiny.
- It is black.
- Not sure of its gender.
- It frequently engages in relations with my (much larger) Toshiba of indeterminate gender. (For the curious, the Toshiba is Josie).

So, any suggestions?

--Rigu
"Welcome to the MC Escher Drawing that has been my morning."

Gunfingers

Re: Names

Postby Gunfingers » Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:38 pm UTC

I had a similar struggle six or seven years ago when i first built my desktop. As i sat at work making pizzas with furrowed brow (i worked at a Donato's in high school) a brilliant idea came to me. I turned to the manager who was next to me and said "Oh, i thought you should know, i've named my computer after your wife." "Karen?" he asked. Now that i knew what his wife's name was (i had never met her) i had a name for my computer. She's gone through a lot of changes since then, but she's still Karen.

cypherspace

Postby cypherspace » Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:43 pm UTC

Maximegalodon.
Deep Thought.
Dave.
Elvis.
V.
Dot.
His Most Exalted Greatness The Emperor Of The World Wide Web, Grand Vizier Of The Information Superhighway, Duke Of Network Connections, King Dolby the 5.1th.
Caldicot.
Ping.
Tony.
"It was like five in the morning and he said he'd show me his hamster"

Rigu-chan

Postby Rigu-chan » Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:48 pm UTC

cypherspace wrote:Maximegalodon.
Deep Thought.
Dave.
Elvis.
V.
Dot.
His Most Exalted Greatness The Emperor Of The World Wide Web, Grand Vizier Of The Information Superhighway, Duke Of Network Connections, King Dolby the 5.1th.
Caldicot.
Ping.
Tony.
*laughs*
I have no idea who you are, but you are completely awesome.
Best names ever.

I am seriously considering the really really long one. We'll call it Dolby for short. =P

(Also, Douglas Adams reference ftw.)

Antimatter Spork

Postby Antimatter Spork » Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:16 pm UTC

I named my computer The Hex. Because I'm a Pratchett geek like that.
Albert Schweitzer wrote:There are two means of refuge from the misery of life — music and cats.

Calibwam

Postby Calibwam » Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:21 pm UTC

Wow, I haven't thought of namin my computer.. Maybe because I got a suckie standard Dell laptop.. It should have a boring name, I think..
(I like the names of my guitars.. Emily is my acoustic and Judy is my electric^^)
If you die in Canada, you die in real life..!

Rigu-chan

Postby Rigu-chan » Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:28 pm UTC

Antimatter Spork wrote:I named my computer The Hex. Because I'm a Pratchett geek like that.
...I never even thought of Hex!
And it wouldn't imply that it would turn on us like some OTHER computers I could name.

I also considered Pintsize or Winslow.

P.S. Antimatter Spork is an AWESOME name.

And Calibwarm: Yeah, I name EVERYTHING. My car (current and previous), my computers (both of them!), my phone (both the current and the previous one), my DS, and my iPod.

I have issues.

bbctol
Super Deluxe Forum Title of DESTINYâ„¢

Postby bbctol » Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:47 pm UTC

Microvac, the always forgotten portable version of Multivac.

Jadestone

Postby Jadestone » Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:36 pm UTC

I got bored one day and named several appliances. Mostly after people I know. Coffee-maker is Axa, my ceiling fan is Ebeth, ect...

I like the idea of naming it Hex, or Deep Thought though. Or looking at the serial number and seeing if it resembles and words, even in leet? Just a thought.
Kokopelli for President

"Life's a beach. Then you die." -Terry Prattchet

"We are all of us alone in this world."

Chrismclegless

Postby Chrismclegless » Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:51 pm UTC

In my family we have a theme for naming PCs. I don't know how it arrived, but for some reason they all get the names of types of starships in Babylon 5. Desktops are cruisers, laptops are fighters. For example, my current laptop is called "Thunderbolt". As the computers get more powerful, the names come from bigger ships. We're running out.

Admittedly, we don't use them to talk about the computers. Its just the name that you see when you connect to it over the network.
Londo: Maybe it was something I said?
G'Kar: Maybe it is everything you say.

How tasty is YOUR brain?

GENERATION 21: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Lenary

Postby Lenary » Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:13 am UTC

my family is boring, and has only eve had macs, so named MAC1, MAC2... this is now up to 37. i'm MAC35... they recently also added the initials of the primary user to the end so that you could know whose it was without having to look it up on a table... my dad still has his MAC1, despite also having MAC37... i think the 30's were all intel macs, an before that they were all powerpcs...
</boring names>

i have a friend whose family all name their computers after composers... so is is mendelsshon (sp?) and the server is mahler, and i think his dad is Bach... but they are a very musical family...
the funny thing is when you get them all talking to each other, and then a historian walks in and says it;'s not possible...
My Tumblog

[imath]you = me (awesome + clothes)[/imath]
solve for awesome if you're a hot girl
Spoiler:
[imath]awesome = \frac{you}{me} - clothes[/imath]

Calibwam

Postby Calibwam » Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:18 am UTC

Rigu-chan wrote:
Antimatter Spork wrote:And Calibwarm: Yeah, I name EVERYTHING. My car (current and previous), my computers (both of them!), my phone (both the current and the previous one), my DS, and my iPod.

I have issues.

But are your computers phone, DS, iPod etc. male or female? Guitars are easy that way, you can feel their feminish shape and playability, but this stupid computer can't be female (or in that case not a sexy one..)
If you die in Canada, you die in real life..!

Spoffin

Postby Spoffin » Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:31 am UTC

Rigu-chan wrote:- It frequently engages in relations with my (much larger) Toshiba of indeterminate gender. (For the curious, the Toshiba is Josie).

In that case it should be called The Pussycat
The thing to remember about Spoffin is that he's playing by rules no one else understands

|Erasmus|
Branson

Postby |Erasmus| » Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:38 am UTC

My computer's are named after starcraft characters:
Arcturus, Tassadar, Kerrigan and Fenix.

Torvaun

Postby Torvaun » Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:44 am UTC

My desktop is named Entropy. My laptop is named WOPR. My computer at work is named Marvin.
Hawknc wrote:I don't know if you've never heard of trolling, or if you're just very good at it.

stony-p

Postby stony-p » Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:13 am UTC

cypherspace wrote:Tony.

This is my favourite name...

I've got to say though, I'm not a big naming-things person.

Dakun

Postby Dakun » Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:58 am UTC

My mac laptop is 'Transire' - Latin for 'to cross over'.
My pc/desktop/gaming/web design beast is 'Mjolnir' (Thor's Hammer - Indestructible super-weapon)
My iPhone is named 'Jane' - She's always in my ear and she can do pretty much anything I want her to do.

~Jamie
Jamie
---------------------
I have with me two gods, Persuasion and Compulsion. - Themistocles

tryptanymph
More metal than thou

Postby tryptanymph » Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:08 am UTC

I name my guitars. So does my dad. Between us so far we have Kylie, Fergie, Shakira, Anne, Christina and we used to have Kate.

I'm building a guitar over the summer. I don't know whether to call it Hex, Hax, Greebo, Frankie, or Patches. >.>
phlip wrote:sleepy, the only thing you're worse at is being not awesome.*
*All links to be treated as NFSW.

Rigu-chan

Postby Rigu-chan » Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:12 am UTC

Calibwam wrote:
Rigu-chan wrote:And Calibwarm: Yeah, I name EVERYTHING. My car (current and previous), my computers (both of them!), my phone (both the current and the previous one), my DS, and my iPod.

I have issues.

But are your computers phone, DS, iPod etc. male or female? Guitars are easy that way, you can feel their feminish shape and playability, but this stupid computer can't be female (or in that case not a sexy one..)[/quote]Well, my last phone--a Razr--was named Spencer, and had a thing for my iPod--a female--named Monroe. She died, though, and Spencer went to my boyfriend. Sadly, Spencer is dying (I think he lost the will to live after Monroe I died). My new iPod is also Moroe, also a lady, and is in a lezzie relationship with my Blackberry Pearl named Penelope.

My current car--a blue Volkswagen beetle--is named Deidre, or Deeds for short. My last car, a red Jeep Cherokee, was named Jennifer.

My desktop is male, and is named Frederick. My DS is pink and named Jessica. My computer was named by my mother, and is Josie and of an indeterminate gender.

Dakun: Is "Jane the iPhone" an Orson Scott Card reference?

Also I am VERY VERY HAPPY to see Pratchett/Adams/QC fans here. I DO NOT FEEL SO ALONE! =3

Update: The boyfriend is coming over soon. I will show him this thread and see if he likes any of them. =P
I think he'll go for Chrismclegless's idea. He's a big B5 fan.

Dakun

Postby Dakun » Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:13 am UTC

Rigu-chan wrote:Dakun: Is "Jane the iPhone" an Orson Scott Card reference?

Also I am VERY VERY HAPPY to see Pratchett/Adams/QC fans here. I DO NOT FEEL SO ALONE! =3

Yes friend :)
Jamie
---------------------
I have with me two gods, Persuasion and Compulsion. - Themistocles

Rigu-chan

Postby Rigu-chan » Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:22 am UTC

Dakun wrote:
Rigu-chan wrote:Dakun: Is "Jane the iPhone" an Orson Scott Card reference?

Yes friend :)
You are now my favorite person.
Have my children. *kidding*

Kithplana

Postby Kithplana » Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:33 am UTC

My computers are almost all named after metals or gemstones, in some form. My main computer (sapphire blue case) is called Argenteus, my laptop (silver case) is called Sapphirus because Argenteus was taken, and the various installations and VMs I have for here and at school are a bunch of different things. Currently my VMs usually take the name Malachite, and the current trend for my school computers is either Onyx or Obsidian. Since I'm learning Active Directory right now, my domains get names too. My forest root is always Reticulum, and my current child domain naming habit is Titanium -- although due to some screwy DNS one of them is going to become Sideways. (Why? It's part of a longer, more frustration-ridden phrase. I was unhappy today.)

The Crisco Cisco devices I get to hostname usually get no such treatment -- they've ranged from TheDoll to Ceiling (in reference to its physical position in a yummy stack of expensive network equipment) to whatever the last person left the hostname as.

tl;dr: I name things after metals and gemstones except for Cisco equipment which gets entirely random names.

Rigu-chan

Postby Rigu-chan » Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:45 am UTC

Metals are cool, because they are shiny.
And when you say Cisco, I know that you're talking about something completely different, but all I can think of is the DS9 captain... even though I think his name is spelled differently.

timt

Postby timt » Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:14 am UTC

I don't feel any kind of emotional attachment to my computer thus it remains nameless. However i built a guitar which i named thor.

Torvaun

Postby Torvaun » Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:29 am UTC

Oh yeah, networking gear. Wireless router is named Skynet.
Hawknc wrote:I don't know if you've never heard of trolling, or if you're just very good at it.

Mr. Beck
Commencing Countdown, Engines On

Postby Mr. Beck » Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:32 am UTC

My homebrew computer is named Goliath. When I was the shape and form of the case as I opened the box, it just...felt right.
The next one (8+ months? (yes, I plan ahead)) will probably be named Nova Pravda (in Cyrillic, duh). Roughly translating as "New Truth". Encompasses my general feelings towards computers, and is no doubt inspired by "nova prospekt.

Verysillyman
"Do me! Do me!"

Postby Verysillyman » Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:07 am UTC

My Laptop is named Jacqueline Hyde, because she is a sexy sexy macbook pro, but being a macbook pro she can be a pc if there's a full moon.

wst

Postby wst » Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:45 am UTC

My main PC is just 'Home Computer' :(
But I'm soo having Æsahættr for the Atom-eee that I'll get later this year. Because it's powerful, but works on a tiny scale. Kinda like Æsahættr.

Please allow the special characters in computer naming *hopes*
Anything I said pre-2014 that you want to quote me on, just run it past me to check I still agree with myself.

Torvaun

Postby Torvaun » Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:15 pm UTC

wst wrote:My main PC is just 'Home Computer' :(
But I'm soo having Æsahættr for the Atom-eee that I'll get later this year. Because it's powerful, but works on a tiny scale. Kinda like Æsahættr.

Please allow the special characters in computer naming *hopes*

Don't worry, you can.

bbctol
Super Deluxe Forum Title of DESTINYâ„¢

Postby bbctol » Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:18 pm UTC

The more I look at this thread, the more I am certain that we've had it before...

EDIT: Aha.

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby PictureSarah » Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:21 pm UTC

Despite having it since July, I just amed my MacBook this morning, at the insistence of the boyfriend. Its name is Murgatroyd.
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Sun Apr 27, 2008 5:56 pm UTC

I'm going to rename all my devices after Half-Life characters, I think, starting with the PC (Gordon, naturally) and my iPod (Alyx)

niteice

Postby niteice » Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:10 pm UTC

I use Monty Python characters. My parents' is King Arthur, the IRC box is Sir Lancelot, my desktop is Sir Galahad, my sister's is Sir Bedevere. The router needed a name too, so it became the Black Knight. I think my eee will become Sir Robin.

oh and these are all the network hostnames :)
GENERATION 4294967292: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum, negate the generation, and convert it to a 32-bit unsigned integer. Social experiment.

MoonBuggy

Postby MoonBuggy » Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:38 pm UTC

I don't really name things, but I am considering getting "Don't Panic" cut in nice red adhesive vinyl letters when I finally get around to getting myself an eee.
Michael McClary, in alt.fusion, wrote:Irrigation of the land with sewater desalinated by fusion power is ancient. It's called 'rain'.

la_negra

Postby la_negra » Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:51 pm UTC

I have no idea of a name to suggest, but I think some name from Norse, Germanic or Greek mythology would be great. Maybe you should check this.
From city to city, from dawn to dawn and the whole generation is on the run. Goodbye to the past, hello to the future, as the struggle continues, there's no fate... http://www.la-negra.ic.cz

doc leech

Postby doc leech » Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:06 pm UTC

PictureSarah wrote:Despite having it since July, I just amed my MacBook this morning, at the insistence of the boyfriend. Its name is Murgatroyd.

Heavans to! (Unless I'm reading that wrong)

I admit, I've not named many things myself. If they deserve names, they've generally name themselves. Only a few named items:

computer - the midget mangler
first car - grey ghost
daughter - Tyrannacor
Float like a float-bot, sting like an automatic stinging machine

Spoffin

Postby Spoffin » Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:19 pm UTC

Hawknc wrote:I'm going to rename all my devices after Half-Life characters, I think, starting with the PC (Gordon, naturally) and my iPod (Alyx)

Cos you iPod goes everywhere with you making loads of noise and generally being more trouble than its worth? :P
The thing to remember about Spoffin is that he's playing by rules no one else understands

nsmjohn

Postby nsmjohn » Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:33 pm UTC

This thread inspired me to name my iPod. I decided to go with Syrinx. I will be going with a Night's Dawn theme for my names.
Gojoe wrote:Well, I would say something here, but it would only make it worse.

Rigu-chan

Postby Rigu-chan » Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:39 pm UTC

SO!
THE OFFICIAL NAME OF BOYFRIEND'S COMPUTER IS....

Why? It was one of the few we both giggled hysterically at (the keyword here being both).

THANK YOU GUYS FOR THE AWESOME NAMES.
I will keep them in mind for future electronic... thingies.

=3

cypherspace

Postby cypherspace » Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:40 pm UTC

8)
"It was like five in the morning and he said he'd show me his hamster"

Return to “General”