Alignment

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

What's your alignment?

Lawful Good
9%
Neutral Good
27%
Chaotic Good
20%
Lawful Neutral
4%
True Neutral
13%
Chaotic Neutral
22%
Lawful Evil
1%
Neutral Evil
2%
Chaotic Evil
1%

Total votes: 329

Fat Tony

Re: Alignment

Postby Fat Tony » Wed May 14, 2008 7:23 pm UTC

You are 61.1% Good.
You are 7.7% Chaotic.

Alignment: Neutral Good

You do the best good that a person could be expected to do. You are devoted to helping others. You are willing to work with authority figures, but you do not feel any particular allegiance to them.
You are the stereotypical “Benefactor.” You believe in doing good without any particular bias for or against order.
Examples of charactersand people who fit into the same alignment as you include Mother Theresa, Ghandi, Gandalf, Indiana Jones, O-Bi-Wan Kenobi, Luke Skywalker, Harry Potter, Frodo Baggins, and the Dalai Lama.
Wanna hear the truth? Life is downright ok.

tehmikey

Postby tehmikey » Wed May 14, 2008 8:16 pm UTC

Apparently, I am terrible at guessing my own alignment.

You are 16.7% Good.
You are 17.9% Lawful.

Alignment: True Neutral

You do whatever seems like a good idea at the time. You don't feel any strong inclination towards good vs. evil or law vs. chaos. Some may say that you lack conviction, while others might admire you for your capability of remaining unbiased. You likely prefer good versus evil in society, since good people tend to make better neighbors and rulers, but you are not personally committed to upholding good in any abstract or universal way.
You are the stereotypical “Balancer.” You act in a way that is natural to you without prejudice or compulsion.
Examples of charactersand people who fit into the same alignment as you include Linus Torvalds, Dr. Strangelove, Scott Evil, Mr. Spock, and the nation of Switzerland.

Upsilon

Postby Upsilon » Wed May 14, 2008 9:00 pm UTC

According to that test, I'm neutral good. I didn't bother writing the percentages down.
22/M/USA
age/sex/location
Spoiler:
Upsilon avatar from TaintedDeity.

Shadic

Postby Shadic » Wed May 14, 2008 9:53 pm UTC

I voted for True Neutral, but figured that I had a small tendency towards good.
You are 33.3% Good.
You are 10.3% Lawful.

So, I'm a third good. Guess that's enough for the quiz.

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Wed May 14, 2008 10:07 pm UTC

aleflamedyud wrote:Excuse me, but why is one of the names of God printed in an internet personality-quiz?

Seems like a kinda trivial question, but I believe they are taken from here.

Also:

You are 11.1% Good.
You are 23.1% Lawful.

aleflamedyud
wants your cookies

Postby aleflamedyud » Wed May 14, 2008 10:17 pm UTC

Oy gevalt, who mixed hippy new-age crap ("negative" or "positive" energy somehow seem like they don't refer to electromagnetic charges) with the Bible? And without even bothering to note that "Elohim" is not one of the various kinds of angels, but one of the 7 Holy Names of God.

People who fuck up their mythology get to me.
"With kindness comes naïveté. Courage becomes foolhardiness. And dedication has no reward. If you can't accept any of that, you are not fit to be a graduate student."

jabberwock33

Postby jabberwock33 » Wed May 14, 2008 10:39 pm UTC

I would say True Neutral, or at least I aim for True Neutral. However, I don't trust my observation to be accurate in any way whatsoever.

Interesting, though, how people judge themselves. Were everyone placed according to some hypothetical infallible system, I would expect the results to be evenly divided (since the results compare people to the average, "evil" would make up the evilest 1/3, lawful would make up the most orderly 1/3, etc.). However, what we see in the quiz results is a layout of how people want to perceive themselves. This explains the disproportionate slide away from evil, as "evil is bad" is drilled into everyone from a young age, and no one wants to think of themselves as bad. Many evils may have actually placed themselves into the bloated Chaotic Neutral category. "I don't do that to be evil, I do that because I'm chaotic and can do whatever I want." There is also an interestingly small group of Lawful Neutrals, although I would have guessed that there would be quite a few on XKCD, since Lawful Neutral is the most scientific/rational alignment, traits often encouraged here. There is a similar tilt towards chaos in the good categories, although it is not nearly as pronounced. So far, this is an interesting psychology experiment.

LG- Slightly less, not sure why
NG- Significantly more that its share, probably since good tends to be encouraged
CG- Significantly more that share, probably due to encouragement of good and action-justification ability of chaos
LN- Way less than normal. No idea why, might be related to LG having less than other good alignments
TN- Slightly more than normal not sure why
CN- Way too many. May be, as mentioned above, a way to avoid a self-rating of evil
LE- Almost none. Most people don't want to view themselves as evil, whether they are or not.
NE- See above
CE- See above

tryptanymph
More metal than thou

Postby tryptanymph » Wed May 14, 2008 10:45 pm UTC

I chose Chaotic Neutral because I am not intrinsically evil. I have a few evil traits, but generally I'm neutral or good.

And Chaotic because I don't think I fit Lawful (I'll disobey laws if I have to, but I don't go out of my way to if there's no need.)

I nearly always choose True Neutral or Chaotic Neutral in D&D type games because it allows for slightly more freedom in your choices.
phlip wrote:sleepy, the only thing you're worse at is being not awesome.*
*All links to be treated as NFSW.

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Wed May 14, 2008 11:02 pm UTC

You are 44.4% Good.
You are 0% Lawful.

You do the best good that a person could be expected to do. You are devoted to helping others. You are willing to work with authority figures, but you do not feel any particular allegiance to them. You are the stereotypical “Benefactor.” You believe in doing good without any particular bias for or against order. Examples of characters and people who fit into the same alignment as you include Mother Theresa, Ghandi, Gandalf, Indiana Jones, O-Bi-Wan Kenobi, Luke Skywalker, Harry Potter, Frodo Baggins, and the Dalai Lama.

This test was clearly written by a Psych major who was TOTALLY stoked they got a good grade.

Bluggo

Postby Bluggo » Wed May 14, 2008 11:20 pm UTC

You are 38.9% Good.
You are 53.8% Lawful.

Nice, but I am not sure I trust it - sometimes, I think I am a bit too much self-centered to be truly good, and while I certainly have a lawful streak I am not above stretching a little the rules if it is convenient to do so: personally, I would have rated myself as Lawful Neutral/True Neutral.
Mary Ellen Rudin wrote:Let X be a set. Call it Y.

nsmjohn

Postby nsmjohn » Wed May 14, 2008 11:45 pm UTC

You are 13.9% Evil.
You are 35.9% Chaotic.

Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Gojoe wrote:Well, I would say something here, but it would only make it worse.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed May 14, 2008 11:57 pm UTC

sleepygamer wrote:I nearly always choose True Neutral or Chaotic Neutral in D&D type games because it allows for slightly more freedom in your choices.

Goddamn it, Alignment does not dictate action, Action dictates alignment!
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

tryptanymph
More metal than thou

Postby tryptanymph » Thu May 15, 2008 12:00 am UTC

nsmjohn wrote:You are 13.9% Evil.
You are 35.9% Chaotic.

Yay! We are Alignment buddies!

Although you are a bit more evil than me. Oh well. I'm sure we'll eventually fall into that pit of corruption known as Chaotic Evil eventually.

Xeio

Postby Xeio » Thu May 15, 2008 12:05 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
sleepygamer wrote:I nearly always choose True Neutral or Chaotic Neutral in D&D type games because it allows for slightly more freedom in your choices.

Seconded! Which is why all my campaigns feature alignment points I keep track of secretly, you will shift to evil, and the party paladin will have to attack you... :mrgreen:

Stupid people who think chaotic neutral is the evil guy in a good campaign... :evil:

nsmjohn

Postby nsmjohn » Thu May 15, 2008 12:19 am UTC

sleepygamer wrote:
nsmjohn wrote:You are 13.9% Evil.
You are 35.9% Chaotic.

Yay! We are Alignment buddies!

Although you are a bit more evil than me. Oh well. I'm sure we'll eventually fall into that pit of corruption known as Chaotic Evil eventually.

It only takes time....
Xeio wrote:
SecondTalon wrote:

Seconded! Which is why all my campaigns feature alignment points I keep track of secretly, you will shift to evil, and the party paladin will have to attack you... :mrgreen:

Stupid people who think chaotic neutral is the evil guy in a good campaign... :evil:

I want to be left alone, I do what I want, and I occasionally do things that make other people look at me and say: "You are such a weird little bastard". What do you suppose my alignment is?
Gojoe wrote:Well, I would say something here, but it would only make it worse.

GhostWolfe
Broken wings and scattered feathers

Postby GhostWolfe » Thu May 15, 2008 4:05 am UTC

I am 47.2% Good.
and 23.1% Lawful.

That's a little more lawful than I thought, but I understand why.

/angell

ETA: oops, sorry, that makes me NG, but on the lawful side of the axis.
Last edited by GhostWolfe on Thu May 15, 2008 4:22 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Linguistic Anarchist
Hawknc: ANGELL IS SERIOUS BUSINESS :-[
lesliesage: Animals dunked in crude oil: sad. Animals dunked in boiling oil: tasty.
Belial: I was in your mom's room all night committing to a series of extended military actions.

Ryom

Postby Ryom » Thu May 15, 2008 4:09 am UTC

You are 47.2% Good.
You are 30.8% Lawful.
Alignment: Lawful Good

As a lawful good person, you tend to act as you are expected to. You tell the truth, keep your word, help those in need, and speak out against injustice. You believe that the guilty deserve to be punished. You believe in bringing good to the most people possible while doing a minimum amount of harm. You are stern but fair.
You are the stereotypical “Crusader.” You combine honor and compassion.
Examples of characters and people who fit into the same alignment as you include Superman, Abraham Lincoln, Phileas Fogg, Captain Picard, Sherlock Holmes, and The Tick (who is also sometimes revered to be “Lawful Stupid.”

Not bad, I'd say I'm in between Lawful and Neutral Good. I'll bend the rules if the result is an improvement to the situation at hand.

Aleril
Le Rail

Postby Aleril » Thu May 15, 2008 4:22 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:

This is exactly why I always find DND flawed.

We are supposed to choose our alignment on how we THINK we are going to act? It doesn't work like that.

GhostWolfe
Broken wings and scattered feathers

Postby GhostWolfe » Thu May 15, 2008 4:25 am UTC

Aleril wrote:We are supposed to choose our alignment on how we THINK we are going to act? It doesn't work like that.

Actually, it does. When you create a character concept, by picking an alignment, you are determining what kind of factors are going to most strongly influence your character in game.

I use a fairly lax alignment system in my games, where lawfulness represents a bias towards honesty and trustworthyness, and chaoticness indicates a willingness or desire to lie, cheat, and break the law. I sometimes throw moral dilemmas in their path where a LG character might have to choose the lesser of two evils as an RP exercise, but I try not to use alignment as a stick to beat them with.

/angell
Linguistic Anarchist
Hawknc: ANGELL IS SERIOUS BUSINESS :-[
lesliesage: Animals dunked in crude oil: sad. Animals dunked in boiling oil: tasty.
Belial: I was in your mom's room all night committing to a series of extended military actions.

Xeio

Postby Xeio » Thu May 15, 2008 7:00 am UTC

GhostWolfe wrote:
Aleril wrote:We are supposed to choose our alignment on how we THINK we are going to act? It doesn't work like that.

Actually, it does. When you create a character concept, by picking an alignment, you are determining what kind of factors are going to most strongly influence your character in game.

I use a fairly lax alignment system in my games, where lawfulness represents a bias towards honesty and trustworthyness, and chaoticness indicates a willingness or desire to lie, cheat, and break the law. I sometimes throw moral dilemmas in their path where a LG character might have to choose the lesser of two evils as an RP exercise, but I try not to use alignment as a stick to beat them with.

/angell

Well I avoid beating them with a stick unless they ask for it. 8) Usually the only characters that would need forced alignment shifts are the ones who WANT to play a chaotic evil character, when the campaign requires non-evil characters, so they write "Chaotic Neutral" and play that character anyway. These are usually the same people that love to min/max to death and think that they don't have to adhere to the rules everyone else will follow, or want to have stuff that I wont allow.

The only other problem with alignment is that game mechanics are based on it. So stuff like saying "I'm lawful" doesn't make it so just because you want to use the cool new weapon you found in this odd source book I let you use when I'm the DM. I don't recall exactly how 4.0 addresses this, but I believe I read something about them changing alignment (but if we really want to go to an in-depth alignment discussion I'm sure theres a topic under gaming somewhere...).

Nimz

Postby Nimz » Thu May 15, 2008 8:58 am UTC

Allignment Test Results wrote:You are 69.4% Good.
You are 35.9% Lawful.

Alignment: Lawful Good
I think my bogus responses on the demographics part (e.g. initials: no. zip code: 00000) should give me a lower Lawful percentage. That would put me on the edge of Lawful Good and Neutral Good. Well whaddya know. I voted Neutral Good on this poll ereyesterday.
LOWA

Ryom

Postby Ryom » Thu May 15, 2008 9:59 am UTC

Is there such a thing as True Good and True Evil? If so, I'd imaging those would be reserved for certain deities... angels and demons falling into those alignments as well perhaps. So what's the scoop on that?

tryptanymph
More metal than thou

Postby tryptanymph » Thu May 15, 2008 10:49 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:

Actually, in some games that I played, you weren't allowed to do certain things if you were a certain alignment.

To take one example from the top of my head, in one game, you were not allowed to join the Knights Templar unless you were Chaotic Good or Chaotic Neutral. I think. Something like that.

no-genius
Seemed like a good idea at the time

Postby no-genius » Thu May 15, 2008 11:13 am UTC

Dingbats wrote:I got True Neutral on this test, which fits me very nicely.

I got lawful good. (~50% good, 39% lawful). But some of the questions were a bit US-specific. Also, the other test was more fun (it had a narrative!).
I don't sing, I just shout. All. On. One. Note.
Official ironmen you are free, champions officially

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:Why? It does nothing to address dance music's core problem: the fact that it sucks.

Yuri2356

Postby Yuri2356 » Thu May 15, 2008 11:30 am UTC

sleepygamer wrote:
SecondTalon wrote:

Actually, in some games that I played, you weren't allowed to do certain things if you were a certain alignment.

To take one example from the top of my head, in one game, you were not allowed to join the Knights Templar unless you were Chaotic Good or Chaotic Neutral. I think. Something like that.

One would that that'd be because they judge your alignment at some point in the hiring process, and filter out the not-so-wanted ones.

And I think those should be 'lawful' on both counts. The Knights Templar were known for brutaly enforcing the word of law.

tryptanymph
More metal than thou

Postby tryptanymph » Thu May 15, 2008 11:35 am UTC

It's been a while since I played that one. Could be Lawful, yeah. :D

Torvaun

Postby Torvaun » Thu May 15, 2008 5:35 pm UTC

I'm presumably Lawful Evil, though there are certain situations where I'm sure I'd be considered Good instead. As a complex person, it's hard for me to think that I can be summed up in two words. Unless those words are "complex person".
Hawknc wrote:I don't know if you've never heard of trolling, or if you're just very good at it.

Wyvernlink

Postby Wyvernlink » Thu May 15, 2008 6:34 pm UTC

You are 0% Good.
You are 7.7% Chaotic.

voted chaotic neutral but tend to act more like this test result.

Mr. Beck
Commencing Countdown, Engines On

Postby Mr. Beck » Thu May 15, 2008 10:01 pm UTC

no-genius wrote:

I got lawful good. (~50% good, 39% lawful). But some of the questions were a bit US-specific. Also, the other test was more fun (it had a narrative!).

What other test?

jabberwock33

Postby jabberwock33 » Thu May 15, 2008 11:25 pm UTC

Hey, I guessed my alignment correctly. According to this quiz anyway...

You are 11.1% Good.
You are 2.6% Chaotic.

Yuri2356

Postby Yuri2356 » Thu May 15, 2008 11:33 pm UTC

Torvaun wrote:I'm presumably Lawful Evil, though there are certain situations where I'm sure I'd be considered Good instead. As a complex person, it's hard for me to think that I can be summed up in two words. Unless those words are "complex person".

Indeed. Real people are a reigon, rather than a point.

aleflamedyud
wants your cookies

Postby aleflamedyud » Fri May 16, 2008 12:28 am UTC

Attention everyone who got an Evil alignment: I WILL COME FOR YOU, LIKE TROGDOR IN THE NIGHT.
"With kindness comes naïveté. Courage becomes foolhardiness. And dedication has no reward. If you can't accept any of that, you are not fit to be a graduate student."

kriel

Postby kriel » Fri May 16, 2008 12:54 am UTC

Mr. Beck wrote:
no-genius wrote:

What other test?

The one with the pretty anime-ish piccus. Uhhh...

http://onnachance.com/quiz/celestial.htm <- *can't figure out how to get the words on top of the url*

Mr. Beck
Commencing Countdown, Engines On

Postby Mr. Beck » Fri May 16, 2008 3:24 am UTC

Try something like

Code: Select all

[url=wobsite-url]text you see[/url]

Make sure you use the full address.

So to link to Google, you go

[url=http://www.google.com]Google[/url]

Help much?

kriel

Postby kriel » Fri May 16, 2008 4:05 am UTC

I knew it was something like that. >< I was encapsulating the string, though.

[url='stuff']stuff[/url]

Oh well. Thanks.

DarkKnight045

Postby DarkKnight045 » Fri May 16, 2008 6:27 pm UTC

Find your Celestial Choir

I wound up 76.7% Good
and 7.6% Lawful from the other test.
Always strive to do the right thing. If you fail, try harder. Never waiver in this, not even in the face of the apocalypse.

aleflamedyud
wants your cookies

Postby aleflamedyud » Sun May 18, 2008 3:24 am UTC

Could that guy stop adding "im" to everything? "Mercury" is sort of a Roman god, and was never a Hebrew word. It shouldn't be pluralized with "im" at the end.

</Hebrew Grammar Hammer>

Vellyr

Postby Vellyr » Sun May 18, 2008 5:03 am UTC

Is there such a thing as True Good and True Evil? If so, I'd imaging those would be reserved for certain deities... angels and demons falling into those alignments as well perhaps. So what's the scoop on that?

I've always just assumed that this was the purpose of the "neutral" tag. "True good" would be neutral good, untainted by predisposition towards law or chaos. "True Chaotic" would be chaotic neutral, with no preference towards good or evil.

Also, I think a lot of people are completely misinterpreting the meaning of lawful vs. chaotic. I see a lot of people saying things like "I won't go out of my way to break the law", but this has nothing to do with the government. It's just a basic concept of law vs. chaos a.k.a. Conservative vs. Liberal.

BeetlesBane

Postby BeetlesBane » Sun May 18, 2008 6:06 pm UTC

I got results of Mercurim and LG (~30%, ~45%). My self-vote was CN.

The "Lawful" axis in the quiz combines two very different ideas (see the explanation of Lawful-Chaotic on the homepage of the quiz). On the one hand "lawful" is presented as respect for/obedience to authority; on the other hand "lawful" is equated to honesty/reliability. The first concept creates an axis from totalitarianism to anarchy, the second from truth-teller to liar.

While recognizing anarchy as impractical, I admire it as an ideal.In terms of the US "founding fathers" this probably places me closet to Thomas Paine. I voted CN rather than CG since we tend to want to think ourselves "good" rather than "evil"; this of course means we are inclined to think ourselves more "good" than we truly are.

For RPG - I dislike playing "lawful" characters since some (most ?) DMs impose behavior on lawfuls turning them into NPCs. Treasures often favor "good" characters so my preferred character alignments are NG and CG.

bbctol
Super Deluxe Forum Title of DESTINYâ„¢

Postby bbctol » Sun May 18, 2008 6:21 pm UTC

You are 41.7% Good.
You are 0% Lawful.

I expected the alignment, but not that I apparently have such disregard for the law...

Return to “General”