Blistering blue barnacles

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Jumble

Re: Rant Thread - The Spites of Wraith

Postby Jumble » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:06 pm UTC

Thanks, I'll give it a try. However, as I know my weaknesses, if I emerge from the apple store with a brand new, top of the range Air that I can't possibly afford could you front me my bus fare home?

(this has got desperate - I've resorted to typing on my iPhone to get away from the vista devils spawn machine)
Spoiler:
Giant Speck wrote:You're a demon! DEMON!!!!

Oregonaut wrote:CURSE YOU VILLAIN!!
PhoenixEnigma wrote:Jumble is either the best or worst Santa ever, and I can't figure out which. Possibly both.

Gears
Bulletproof

Postby Gears » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:39 pm UTC

saxmaniac1987 wrote:Man, the new Sun Chips bags are super effing annoying.
WHAT? SORRY, I CAN'T HEAR YOU OVER THIS SUN CHIPS BAG!
General_Norris wrote:I notice a lack of counter-arguments and a lot of fisting.

Kewangji
Has Been Touched

Postby Kewangji » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:47 pm UTC

podbaydoor wrote:@Kewangji: Disengage, disengage, disengage. It's clear that trying to constructively problem-solve with this person is useless, as their primary response to whatever you do is to belittle. So just stop playing on their terms - by engaging, you've already lost. And I'm willing to bet that what the bystanders are going to see is someone trying to engage you in petty sniping, but failing. Go on with whatever you're doing without wasting time and energy on arguing or even talking to them.

It does take a while to build up the thick skin and serenity to follow this strategy, though. *hugs*

SecondTalon wrote:
Kewangji wrote:But FUCK, that hurt and I'm crying now.

Seconding Podbay here.

It's okay. The person's a jerk. And you're not.

*hugs back*

Thanks.
If you like my words sign up for my newsletter, Airport Tattoo Parlour: https://tinyletter.com/distantstations

The Great Hippo wrote:Nuclear bombs are like potato chips, you can't stop after just *one*

RetSpline

Postby RetSpline » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:30 am UTC

Cassi wrote:I'd go to the Apple store with some semi-convincing story about how it is definitely their fault that it is broken and has nothing to do with you...it worked to get the hard drive replaced on my old MacBook after I dropped it several feet onto a train platform... (In my case, it had been in for repairs not long before, so I said clearly they'd bumped something loose as I certainly hadn't done anything that would cause the hard drive to die...their response was pretty much that we both knew it wasn't their fault, but they'd fix it for free anyway. So it's worth a try?)
In my experience you don't even have to do that much. I brought in my iPhone after it fell about 12 feet onto concrete I just brought it in and said it had stopped working. They remarked on a couple of scratches and nicks on it, but they replaced it right then.

Your mileage may vary, depending on your store.

e^iπ+1=0
Much, much better than Gooder

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:46 am UTC

This macbook pro has been dropped and knocked over quite a bit and it shows. All the same, I tried bringing it in. Even though I had a warranty and had additionally bought their "apple care" thing, they claimed neither applied and refused to fix/replace it unless I payed them an outrageous sum of money. Since most of the problems are work-around-able or purely aesthetic, I decided against paying it.
poxic wrote:You, sir, have heroic hair.
poxic wrote:I note that the hair is not slowing down. It appears to have progressed from heroic to rocking.

(Avatar by Sungura)

Levi

Postby Levi » Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:15 am UTC

I got my Macbook Pro and Best Buy and got some sort of extended warranty from them for a hundred bucks. I don't know exactly what it covers, but they gave me a brand new one when I spilled hot chocolate all over mine.

suffer-cait
Yes, that's my perfectly normal house cat, why do you ask?

Postby suffer-cait » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:29 am UTC

Marbas wrote:
Spoiler:
Time to rant about my favorite person in the world! My stepmother. She's an awful person. There is seriously something wrong with this woman. She's the stereotypical blonde OC bimbo. Only, she's about fifty. However, she's also got an edge, and a mean streak. At least she works. But the thing is, the patronizing bullshit won't fucking stop.

No, you don't need to explain to me how to use a washing machine. Nor a dishwasher. Nor an oven.

That's not your real voice, stop talking like a fucking baby. Stop pretending you're a nice person, once you tackled me and buried my face in the sand because thirteen year old me threw sand in your hair. What the hell is wrong with you? Who the fuck does that?

Also, do you ever shut the hell up? Stop talking explaining obvious things. We KNOW, already. No, you're definitely not smarter than me, and implying that someone is stupid in a roundabout way is still implying that they're stupid.

Also the racism. Oh god the racism. You're afraid of black people. You used the word "Niggers". No, it doesn't matter if you were 'joking' or not being serious. Stop pointing out that many of my friends are Asian. And stop pretending you are a better person than me for going to work. Do you have any idea how much effort is being put into my math degree? Fuck you and your bullshit. Sorry, sometimes you get woken up because I stay up late, but cussing me out and raging at me is not an appropriate reaction. Nor is calling me crazy. Staying up till 4 AM doesn't make me crazy, it makes me a 19 year old.
just handing out support with the evil step mother thing. lucky for me dad divorced her finally. lucky for you you are still qualified to be a disney princess, so there's that
ImageImageImageImageImage

<nyssa>

Postby <nyssa> » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:24 am UTC

My set top box has no sound. Its volume is up to max, and the television's volume is up to max. The television's volume is fine (if I switch to analog tv or put a dvd on, the sound is fine). There are no answers on the internet besides calling customer support tomorrow and getting them to (hopefully) send me a new one. Rage.

Cassi

Postby Cassi » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:32 am UTC

Jumble wrote:Thanks, I'll give it a try. However, as I know my weaknesses, if I emerge from the apple store with a brand new, top of the range Air that I can't possibly afford could you front me my bus fare home?

I have the same weakness -- when I went in a couple weeks ago just to check prices on the MacBook I was planning on buying at the end of the summer, I ended up ringing my stepdad to transfer the money from my savings and bought it then. Which means I am now most of the way in my overdraft until I start working, instead of waiting to make sure I had a job and didn't need that savings to get through the summer. Oops?
une see wrote:Cass, YOU are my favorite!

<nyssa>

Postby <nyssa> » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:19 am UTC

In addition to my previous rant, there's some very loud music coming from the house next door. That, the low sound I'm getting and the fact that I'm deaf in one ear has just turned the Daily Show and the Colbert Report into an hour of charades for me. Bah.

Gears
Bulletproof

Postby Gears » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:57 pm UTC

I hate swim qualifications.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:30 pm UTC

Well, it happened again. Being young, female, and holding a large camera apparently = invitation to be sleazy and demand that I take a photo of you because you're under the mistaken impression that it's flirtatious. No. It's uncomfortable and off-putting because I don't want your mugging face in my film, except now you've put me under a lot of pressure to take the picture because no matter how politely I refuse, you and everyone are going to react like I'm the buzzkill - or worse, hostile. I don't want to take your damn picture, and no, I don't want to go out with you. My holding a camera is not permission for you to wink and dance sleazily in front of me. FUCK OFF.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:44 pm UTC

podbaydoor wrote:... because no matter how politely I refuse, you and everyone are going to react like I'm the buzzkill - or worse, hostile. [i]I don't want to take your damn picture,...
I'm sorry. I also wish "No, I don't want to take your picture and thanks for killing my good time, asshole" worked.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Ashlah

Postby Ashlah » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:46 pm UTC

If you're using film, maybe you could point out how spendy it is to waste a frame on a stranger? Although they sound like douches who won't care about any reason you give. I guess you could just pretend to take a picture to make them give up. I don't know what I would do... So unfortunate that you have to deal with it. :?

Gears
Bulletproof

Postby Gears » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:56 pm UTC

Podbaydoor: I don't understand how holding a camera could be sleazy, like at all.

PhoenixEnigma

Postby PhoenixEnigma » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:16 pm UTC

Gears wrote:Podbaydoor: I don't understand how holding a camera could be sleazy, like at all.

It's not holding the camera that's sleazy, it's that holding a camera seems to attract sleazy/annoying/creepy people. It's a pain in the ass, and why I've taken to shooting mostly in more remote areas. Better scenery for landscapes, too.
"Optimism, pessimism, fuck that; we're going to make it happen. As God is my bloody witness, I'm hell-bent on making it work." -Elon Musk
Shivahn wrote:I am a motherfucking sorceror.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:37 pm UTC

The kicker is that I probably would have eventually taken a picture of this dude if that incident hadn't happened - I like wandering around and snapping pics of people caught in the moment to try and capture the feel of the event. But the fact that he actually demanded it - in front of a lot of people - and then he and his friends made faces at me when I shook my head, completely destroyed his chances forever. And, I notice that generally when stuff like this happens, they don't do the same thing when it's a man or an older woman holding the camera. Fucking jerks.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun

Chai Kovsky

Postby Chai Kovsky » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:54 pm UTC

I realize that I like spouting random facts. I realize that I have a large knowledge base because I spent my childhood and adolescence reading instead of having playdates or shopping or playing videogames or whatever (or spending my playdates reading). That does not make me your encyclopedia. It also does not mean that I like being referred to as a freak, or having comments made about my IQ.

Le sigh.
Spoiler:
kellsbells wrote:¡This Chai is burning me!
Chai Kovsky wrote:I can kill you with my brain.

That is all.
superglucose wrote:In other words: LISTEN TO CHAI.
Delayra wrote:Yet another brilliant idea from Chai!

I <3 Pirate.Bondage!

meatyochre

Postby meatyochre » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:04 pm UTC

Chai Kovsky wrote:I realize that I like spouting random facts. I realize that I have a large knowledge base because I spent my childhood and adolescence reading instead of having playdates or shopping or playing videogames or whatever (or spending my playdates reading). That does not make me your encyclopedia. It also does not mean that I like being referred to as a freak, or having comments made about my IQ.

Le sigh.

I went through this continually in my high school days. Yes, I am phenomenally good at writing and proofreading papers. No, I don't want to proofread your paper, much less everyone's paper in my AP English class. I'll end up rewriting it completely because you don't know how to write for this teacher, and I do. But I'd rather be reading than correcting your shoddy workmanship, damn it.

And it's embarrassing when other people keep pointing out: Oh me yarm u r sew smrt hao u get dat SAT score?? Well, genetics and alternative leisure activities. I like reading. You like to party and make yourself look perfect for school every day. It's cool, I respect your life choices. But that shouldn't make mine a mystery.

I hope that didn't come off as narcissistic but it's the truth anyway :oops:
Dark567 wrote:"Hey, I created a perpetual motion device"

"yeah, but your poster sucks. F-"

Whelan

Postby Whelan » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:18 pm UTC

I get it occasionally. "It's really annoying how [Teacher] can mention something and a week later you put your hand up because it's an answer". Or "So you must be pretty smart then?" when people find out I'm taking 4 science A levels.
"I like to be understood whenever I open my mouth; I have a horror of blinding people with science"- Richard Dawkins
Weeks wrote:
TaintedDeity wrote:And all I get is this tame space dragon. Where's my recognition?!
A tame dragon is its own reward.

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:22 pm UTC

Well, it depends how well you're doing in them.

However, if you are heading towards B/A/A* in them, you do count as at least "pretty smart", I'm afraid. I mean, the traditional sciences are judged as good A-levels for most courses by Oxbridge, who are known in some circles for smartness. That's because they're challenging.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Whelan

Postby Whelan » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:27 pm UTC

Errr, I'll let you know August 19th. It's the choice of subjects rather than anything else though. Just cos they're sciences means I'm clever...Tell that to some of the people in my classes.
"I like to be understood whenever I open my mouth; I have a horror of blinding people with science"- Richard Dawkins
Weeks wrote:
TaintedDeity wrote:And all I get is this tame space dragon. Where's my recognition?!
A tame dragon is its own reward.

GraphiteGirl
Alpha Male

Postby GraphiteGirl » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:22 am UTC

You know what is a completely ridiculous and illogical question to ask people when they say something clever-sounding?
"Are you smart?"
What answer are you looking for there, exactly? I used to get this in early-mid high school - not horribly often, but enough to make it a pattern - and the motivations for asking it are entirely incomprehensible to me. If I were to say yes, the asker would think I was arrogant; if I were to say no, they'd start an argument about it; if I tried to avoid the question and say something like, "Oh, there are all kinds of intelligence, we're all smart under one definition or another," they'd think I was unnecessarily philosophising.
Sandry wrote:Man, my commitment to sparkle motion is waaaaay lower than you are intimating.

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:03 am UTC

I'll be honest, I never really came up with a good answer to that one. The best answer I had was to flee to an elitist academic selective-entry school where the answer was invariably "yes. Hey, do you want to play some Magic?".
ImageImageImageImageImage

Gears
Bulletproof

Postby Gears » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:37 am UTC

PhoenixEnigma wrote:
Gears wrote:Podbaydoor: I don't understand how holding a camera could be sleazy, like at all.

It's not holding the camera that's sleazy, it's that holding a camera seems to attract sleazy/annoying/creepy people. It's a pain in the ass, and why I've taken to shooting mostly in more remote areas. Better scenery for landscapes, too.
Ohhh, reading comprehension fail. In any case that's stupid. Kids these days :P

grythyttan
Location: Hncwhxagykozzqlif azefkbtvw. Kjkd sb, ypwyw eg tdpm.

Postby grythyttan » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:48 am UTC

GraphiteGirl wrote:You know what is a completely ridiculous and illogical question to ask people when they say something clever-sounding?
"Are you smart?"
What answer are you looking for there, exactly? I used to get this in early-mid high school - not horribly often, but enough to make it a pattern - and the motivations for asking it are entirely incomprehensible to me. If I were to say yes, the asker would think I was arrogant; if I were to say no, they'd start an argument about it; if I tried to avoid the question and say something like, "Oh, there are all kinds of intelligence, we're all smart under one definition or another," they'd think I was unnecessarily philosophising.
If someone asks me something similar I'll usually say "Yes, in fact I'm probably the smartest person in this town, if not the country. I'm also incredibly humble. probably the worlds most humble man." I might strike a pose at some point. I suppose it's more like dodging the question, but I find that pretty much nobody will keep asking "no really, are you smart?" after that.
Joy of Cooking was far less of an achievement than Thyme Cube discovery, for I have Cubed the Spice, with 4 simultaneous flavor types in 1 plant of Earth.
Spoiler:

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:14 am UTC

GraphiteGirl wrote:You know what is a completely ridiculous and illogical question to ask people when they say something clever-sounding?
"Are you smart?"

The answer:
Spoiler:
horn.PNG
horn.PNG (18.04 KiB) Viewed 3966 times
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

GraphiteGirl
Alpha Male

Postby GraphiteGirl » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:31 pm UTC

Well played, lads, well played.
Sandry wrote:Man, my commitment to sparkle motion is waaaaay lower than you are intimating.

Esperite

Postby Esperite » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:31 pm UTC

Ugh yes. I remember being the smartest kid in alot of my classes, and it's annoying when people come up and ask stuff like that. Add in the fact that I get uncomfortable easily, and it sucks. What also sucks is when everyone wants to see everyone else's report card's, and someone with solid C's or something wants to see mine. Cause then I feel like a jerk when I show all A's and B's. Even worse is when everyone does poorly at a test and complains, and I sit there with my 56/58 or something. Then they invariably talk about how that was such a stupid test and it was impossible.
Also: when other people talk about tests in general. I have always been great at taking tests. I balance myself out by being horrible at actually doing my homework, but tests have always been easy for me (I absolutely hated homework being worth so much of the grade when I was younger, although that is slowly shifting so it isn't as bad). So when people ask me if I thought a test was hard, I don't have a good answer. If I tell the truth, the answer is no. I usually try to just answer whether it would be hard for most people or not, because I don't wanna be like "that test was easy!" then have people yelling at me when it was extremely hard and they got a bad grade.
Although this stuff is not as big a problem now because I've gotten into all my school's AP classes (advanced placement - supposedly they are college level) so everyone else knows what they're doing. Having people be smarter than me in some of my classes is actually pretty nice =).

tl;dr: Self-absorbed person complains about being smart =P
"A thing is not necessarily true because a man dies for it."
— Oscar Wilde

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:56 pm UTC

Mildly Related - in High School, when that girl who was smart that I also found attractive asked how I was able to read things so quickly and if I could tutor her on reading and comprehension and so forth... why the fuck didn't I say "Sure, why not?"

I mean, fuck! That's how Letters to Intellectual Penthouse start! "I never believed it could happen to me, but I tutored her, then I "tutored" her."

Goddamn you're stupid, Me in 1997.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Armadillo Al

Postby Armadillo Al » Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:35 pm UTC

GraphiteGirl wrote:if I tried to avoid the question and say something like, "Oh, there are all kinds of intelligence, we're all smart under one definition or another," they'd think I was unnecessarily philosophising.

So, in other words, they'd think you were saying 'yes'?
Compiling.. wrote:xkcd... where EVERYONE loves EVERYONE...

Vincent91

Postby Vincent91 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:24 pm UTC

Yeah, I got that last weekend in a club:
"So you're a 3rd year student in engineering?"
"Yeah"
"And you're 18?"
"Yes..."
"Are you a genius?"

I don't remember what my answer was.

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:27 pm UTC

That might have been an appropriate time for, "No, the rest of you just aren't that bright." Or, the ever-famous, "Yes, thank you."
- Ochigo the Earth-Stomper

The EGE wrote:
Mumpy wrote:And to this day, librarians revile Oregonaut as the Antichrist.

False! We sacrifice our card catalogues to him in the name of Job Security!

Zarq

Postby Zarq » Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:35 pm UTC

Vincent91 wrote:Yeah, I got that last weekend in a club:
"So you're a 3rd year student in engineering?"
"Yeah"
"And you're 18?"
"Yes..."
"Are you a genius?"

I don't remember what my answer was.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the right answer would be 'yes'. I got these questions a lot in highschool, and if I would've had that conversation with you, it would've probably been the same. But maybe instead of the genius-question, I would've done a Keanu Reeves impersonation. ("Whoooaaa"; how do you correctly type the elongation of a sound represented by 2 vowels?)
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit

meatyochre

Postby meatyochre » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:01 pm UTC

Zarq wrote:Keanu Reeves impersonation. ("Whoooaaa"; how do you correctly type the elongation of a sound represented by 2 vowels?)

You just make the letters larger and more pleasantly-colored, and you can italicize them!

WO
Dark567 wrote:"Hey, I created a perpetual motion device"

"yeah, but your poster sucks. F-"

Not A Raptor

Postby Not A Raptor » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:14 pm UTC

Re: "Are you a genius?"

A good response, I think, would be the following.

"Thanks for the compliment, but no. I only consider somebody a genius if they have advanced their field where nobody else could not, even after many years of labor. Get back to me when I've figured out lossless compression of data/an equation for describing turbulence/proved or disproved string theory or created a more viable successor theory/engineered a viable and safe macroscopic organism from scratch/made the field of economics sane/etc..."

Obviously, you pick one or create a revolutionary advance of your own.
Van wrote:I like simple games.

Like Wizardry.

WARNING: Is acting like NaR.
Kellsbells: NAR is a sillypants
Not_A_Raptor: :p
Kellsbells: That is my expert assessment

Raeluna

Postby Raeluna » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:41 pm UTC

I hated high school because I was smarter than the rest of the kids in my class. I went to an extremely tiny high school, so word got around fast. I don't think it would have been so bad if the teachers didn't love to pick me out as the golden child and use me as an example for everything....except Algebra. I am SOOOO BAD at Algebra. It took me 4 years to pass that class, but I didn't actually mind....it's was nice not being the go-to girl for something for once.

Rant time: I AM REALLY BAD AT HOUSEWORK, OKAY? I know it, stop bitching at me. >.< I'm lazy and slowly trying to fix that - I'd much rather rad a book or play my mmo than do housework but dammit give me some credit. I became a housewife almost overnight, so hush. :/ Besides, I'm doing better than pretty much everyone else in this damn house, considering I became the "mom" after my mother was admitted to the hospital and now take care of meals and laundry for all 8 of you on a regular basis. >.< LEAVE ME ALONE. ARRRHGHGHGHHGHGHGHGG.

I need a hug.
thicknavyrain wrote:Marry me. Now.

"So, why are you a fruit bat?"
"I dunno, healthier I guess."
"Well yeah, but 'I vant to suck your melons' just doesn't have the same ring to it."

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:55 pm UTC

And none of the other 8 help out? There's a thing called delegation of work. :/
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:58 pm UTC

Not to mention summary beatings for those who can't find the motivation to pitch in.
- Ochigo the Earth-Stomper

The EGE wrote:
Mumpy wrote:And to this day, librarians revile Oregonaut as the Antichrist.

False! We sacrifice our card catalogues to him in the name of Job Security!

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:02 pm UTC

GraphiteGirl wrote:if I tried to avoid the question and say something like, "Oh, there are all kinds of intelligence, we're all smart under one definition or another," they'd think I was unnecessarily philosophising.

Actually, no, they wouldn't think that. Think about it. ;)
They probably won't ever think the word "philisophi(s/z)ing", now would they?
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

Return to “General”