Blistering blue barnacles

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

meatyochre

Re: Rant Thread - The Spies of Faith

Postby meatyochre » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:34 pm UTC

Zarq wrote:Point 2. I never said I didn't have any biases. But I'm not gonna deny that it is similar to racism.

Oh Reginald... I disagree! *zoom*
Dark567 wrote:"Hey, I created a perpetual motion device"

"yeah, but your poster sucks. F-"

rat4000
r/ratsgonewild

Postby rat4000 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:38 pm UTC

We judge people based on everything. We judge them based on intelligence, looks, willingness to work, altruistic tendencies, race...

The last one is not the only "wrong" way to judge; indeed, all the ways to judge are wrong and we should simply accept people... only racism is actually different because neither stupid nor ugly nor lazy nor selfish people were ever enslaved and/or called less than human (same with homosexuals, transsexuals, disabled people...). So it's a very touchy subject for them and people try not to judge on that anymore. Also, since the other ways to judge are not so socially loaded, people don't feel discriminated against when you avoid them. Actually, other than "looks", people differing radically from you on any of the criteria listed above will find your company as uncomfortable as you'd find theirs, so they may well feel that your avoiding them is best for all.

Basically, yeah, racism is quite similar to judging people based on intelligence, only not nearly as bad because you're robbing both yourselves and the people you are racist to of an experience which might well prove beneficial to both of you, and also for all that stuff that actual people who have been discriminated against should talk about.

doogly
Dr. The Juggernaut of Touching Himself

Postby doogly » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:39 pm UTC

Zarq wrote:Point 1. So because I have no 'stupid' friends, I'm biased against stupidity. I have no different-race friends either, so that must mean I'm racist. I also don't have any gay friends, oh man, I'm homophobic too. I don't have any American friends either, ergo, I hate Americans. I could go on.

You seriously don't have any friends who are of other races or are gay?
Thing is, there are lots of people like this. If you aren't friends with any, something's up. It's not like having no Aleut friends - that's a little too specific, there aren't too many of them around. But stupid people, non-whites and gays are abundant! especially stupid people.
LE4dGOLEM: What's a Doug?
Noc: A larval Doogly. They grow the tail and stinger upon reaching adulthood.

Keep waggling your butt brows Brothers.
Or; Is that your eye butthairs?

bentheimmigrant
Dotcor Good Poster

Postby bentheimmigrant » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:53 pm UTC

rat4000 wrote:stupid... people were [n]ever... called less than human

Not actually true.

(I know the quoting is a little crazy, but I didn't want to have to struggle through the surrounding words)
"Comment is free, but facts are sacred" - C.P. Scott

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:02 pm UTC

Yeah, eugenics laws definitely say otherwise.
- Ochigo the Earth-Stomper

The EGE wrote:
Mumpy wrote:And to this day, librarians revile Oregonaut as the Antichrist.

False! We sacrifice our card catalogues to him in the name of Job Security!

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:34 pm UTC

Zarq, I can very much agree that all humans have basic rights - dignity of life and all that - but that does not obligate me to enjoy the company of every last one.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

rat4000
r/ratsgonewild

Postby rat4000 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:49 pm UTC

Hmm, I guess you're right, Oregonaut and doogly! The more you know...

I think your being right is actually an argument in Zarq's favor, but I'm not all that sure.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:53 pm UTC

emceng wrote:
Dasboard wrote:About one out of four people in my country has suffered / is suffering from stalking. I was suprised about how high it was.

I find that hard to believe. I guess it follows my lack of faith in most statistics reported in the media. The person reporting likely has no idea what they're talking about in the first place, and much of the time the numbers the report is based on are skewed by the researchers' agenda. An example for me that immediately comes to mind was a story in the local paper when I was in college. It was talking about binge drinking by college kids. The most awesome part of the article was the definition of binge drinking: having one or more drinks in a sitting. Bravo - you have now defined every single person to ever drink alcohol as a binge drinker.
Define Stalking.

I'll wait.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:58 pm UTC

Keeping the shelves filled with goods for people to buy.

The EGE wrote:

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:02 pm UTC

That's Stocking. Not to be confused with Stockings[NSFW?]. And not at all similar to Sackings.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:03 pm UTC

To proceed in a steady, deliberate, or sinister manner?

The EGE wrote:

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:10 pm UTC

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:13 pm UTC

...sorry.

The EGE wrote:

Zarq

Postby Zarq » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:32 pm UTC

doogly wrote:
Zarq wrote:Point 1. So because I have no 'stupid' friends, I'm biased against stupidity. I have no different-race friends either, so that must mean I'm racist. I also don't have any gay friends, oh man, I'm homophobic too. I don't have any American friends either, ergo, I hate Americans. I could go on.

You seriously don't have any friends who are of other races or are gay?
Thing is, there are lots of people like this. If you aren't friends with any, something's up. It's not like having no Aleut friends - that's a little too specific, there aren't too many of them around. But stupid people, non-whites and gays are abundant! especially stupid people.

I've got like 7 6 friends. All of whom I met at university. Which explains the non-stupid part. As for the gays and different races, 7 6 is not a big number.

edit: I counted them: when talking about people I see rather often and like hanging out with, I've got 4. When I change the "rather often" to "more than once a year" I've got 5, 6 if I'm being generous on the 'liking' part.

edit2: that 7 looks like a strange 7 now, instead of a 7 that's, euhm, what do you call that?
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit

Levi

Postby Levi » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:32 pm UTC

Stricken (struck?) out.

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:44 am UTC

I write my sevens like that.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

Briareos

Postby Briareos » Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:50 am UTC

A normal seven? European-style seven maybe?
Sandry wrote:Bless you, Briareos.

Blriaraisghaasghoasufdpt.
Oregonaut wrote:Briareos is my new bestest friend.

Raeluna

Postby Raeluna » Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:37 am UTC

Oregonaut wrote:<joking>

So, Raeluna, love...what'cha doin' later today?

</joking>

I am going to push you off a cliff now, kthnxbye.

Kidding, that made me giggle.

Also, again I may seem like a big giant jerk but, following the past page of conversation...I'm kind of biased against stupid people and would do the same thing for my kids. I'd judge their dates based on intelligence first...I don't want my future-babies selling themselves short by settling for an idiot. I know they can't choose what their intelligence is but I don't like friends that can't carry a half-decent conversation with me and I would hope my kids feel the same way. Same goes for people who use Ebonics or street-speak constantly...the way I was raised, with my grammar and language being corrected constantly...that style of speaking makes the gears in my brain grind against each other rather painfully.

I'm a judgemental person. I admit it. Please don't stone me.
thicknavyrain wrote:Marry me. Now.

"So, why are you a fruit bat?"
"I dunno, healthier I guess."
"Well yeah, but 'I vant to suck your melons' just doesn't have the same ring to it."

Amie

Postby Amie » Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:10 am UTC

Dear Skype,

Fuck you.

Love,
-Amie
Summer is miles and miles away, and no one would ask me to stay.
And I, should contemplate this change... to ease the pain.
And I, should step out of the rain... turn away.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:22 am UTC

Raeluna wrote:Same goes for people who use Ebonics or street-speak constantly...the way I was raised, with my grammar and language being corrected constantly...that style of speaking makes the gears in my brain grind against each other rather painfully.

People can say very intelligent things, and indeed, be very intelligent, while still utilizing horrid grammar. I think I was supposed to use 'whilst'?

My guess is many people, perhaps more so with xkcd readership, could stand to read this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illusory_superiority
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

e^iπ+1=0
Much, much better than Gooder

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:52 am UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:I think I was supposed to use 'whilst'?
Nope. While and whilst mean the same thing. Whilst is just more archaic and, at least in American English, usually sounds pompous. The internet suggests that it's still sometimes used in Britain, but that's about it.

Edited several hours later to include rant:

Directions are difficult to follow when they're partially upside-down and out of order. (Prompted by this [Warning: PDF])
poxic wrote:You, sir, have heroic hair.
poxic wrote:I note that the hair is not slowing down. It appears to have progressed from heroic to rocking.

(Avatar by Sungura)

bentheimmigrant
Dotcor Good Poster

Postby bentheimmigrant » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:22 am UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:
Raeluna wrote:Same goes for people who use Ebonics or street-speak constantly...the way I was raised, with my grammar and language being corrected constantly...that style of speaking makes the gears in my brain grind against each other rather painfully.

People can say very intelligent things, and indeed, be very intelligent, while still utilizing horrid grammar. I think I was supposed to use 'whilst'?

My guess is many people, perhaps more so with xkcd readership, could stand to read this:

I suspect you are right with that one. Especially applying that to peoples' future children (there seems to be a basic assumption around these parts that a smart person would be willing to hang out with your dumb kids). I mean, I'm convinced that my kid is going to be super smart, even though she only just learned how to walk a month or two ago.

While I'm here...

Rant: She's wearing a pink dress!!! Don't come up to her and tell her she's a beautiful boy! It's really not that hard to figure things out. I know she doesn't have much hair yet, but seriously? Are you unable to process more than one piece of information?

viscusanima

Postby viscusanima » Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:27 pm UTC

I just made a lovely sponge cake, left it on the side to cool, came back in to do something, and the bloody village cats had got onto the counter and eaten my fucking cake. Fucking cats. FUCK.

Raeluna

Postby Raeluna » Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:52 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:

I know they can still use horrible grammar and be intelligent, but it doesn't make them sound very intelligent. I'm allowed my flaws, don't tell me I have a superiority complex - I'm all too aware of my negative aspects. Besides, I don't judge people compared to myself, I judge what they're like compared to the people that normally hang around with me. Besides, what's wrong with thinking you're better than some people in certain areas? Everyone isn't equal after all, smartness is all I have going for me x.x

Baron von Großertexten LIVES
thicknavyrain wrote:Marry me. Now.

"So, why are you a fruit bat?"
"I dunno, healthier I guess."
"Well yeah, but 'I vant to suck your melons' just doesn't have the same ring to it."

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:27 pm UTC

bentheimmigrant wrote:Rant: She's wearing a pink dress!!! Don't come up to her and tell her she's a beautiful boy! It's really not that hard to figure things out. I know she doesn't have much hair yet, but seriously? Are you unable to process more than one piece of information?
Why not just say it's a beautiful kid and not assume gender until it's actually relevant?

Raeluna wrote:Besides, what's wrong with thinking you're better than some people in certain areas? Everyone isn't equal after all, smartness is all I have going for me x.x
Because thinking it without empirical evidence makes you a douchenozzle. If I play you in Chess a few times and beat you, we have demonstrated that (currently) I am better than you in Chess. If we take a couple of quizes on the history of Ancient Egypt, Modern Chile and China from 1750-1896 and I score better than you, we can conclude that I am better educated in those exact subjects. We could hazard a guess that I am better educated in world history overall, but you may still know far more than I on the history of England than I and are able to easily demonstrate this fact. You also could demonstrate your advanced understanding of chemistry compared to mine, making any assumptions on who has the better education null.

So.. yeah. Thinking it without empirical evidence makes you a douchenozzle.

But don't feel bad.. it's.. kinda a really hard thing to break yourself of doing. One of these days I'll stop.. maybe.

ginadagny

Postby ginadagny » Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:37 pm UTC

Belarus deserved the gold medal for the team rhythmic gymnastics competition during the Beijing olympics. Not Russia.

Goddamn it.

Vapour

Postby Vapour » Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:44 pm UTC

More rain!!!

Grrr

Teehee, new avatar

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:45 pm UTC

Ok, when a lady offers me Hot Tamales as a bribe for work performed, and I tell that lady I love her, I am doing so in a manner that to both her and myself signifies that she has done a fantastic thing for me in return for work performed for her. I am not making a proclamation of undying devotion that needs to be instantly classified as sexual harrassment by others in the office. She smiled and giggled, I smiled and laughed, and we both joked on with our day. If that makes you uncomfortable, GROW THE FUCK UP.

The EGE wrote:

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:47 pm UTC

Now, see, if you had offered her your hot tamale. That would've been sexual harassment.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

saxmaniac1987
Can't spell sex

Postby saxmaniac1987 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:48 pm UTC

BUT, BUT! It's all about perception! If they felt like they were being harassed by your fake proclamation of love, it doesn't matter that it was fake! Proclamations of love make them feel uneasy and create an unwelcome work environment where the possibility of being told you are loved lurks around every corner. This has to stop.
"A witty saying proves nothing" - Voltaire

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:50 pm UTC

Or maybe they are secretly jealous of this new profound love and are trying to sabotage it so it will have a chance to be re-directed at them!!!

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:57 pm UTC

Wow, I never thought of that! Oh my Light above! I need to stop telling people I love them, if I stop sharing the love everyone will be saved!

The EGE wrote:

bentheimmigrant
Dotcor Good Poster

Postby bentheimmigrant » Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:05 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
bentheimmigrant wrote:Rant: She's wearing a pink dress!!! Don't come up to her and tell her she's a beautiful boy! It's really not that hard to figure things out. I know she doesn't have much hair yet, but seriously? Are you unable to process more than one piece of information?
Why not just say it's a beautiful kid and not assume gender until it's actually relevant?

I really wish I knew. I mean, she is a beautiful kid, and I know I'm biased, but she is. Why people feel the need to randomly get her gender wrong when we pass in the street is a mystery. It happens maybe 2 or 3 times a week sometimes - because she's cute enough that everyone wants to talk to her, but it's too difficult to use some deductive powers...

felltir
has a sniper scope and a trigger finger.

Postby felltir » Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:38 am UTC

ARGHARGHARGHARGHARGH

HURRY UP WITH YOUR RELIGIOUS HOLIDAYS ALREADY

I WANT MY GODDAMN SHOES
Spoiler:
RoadieRich wrote:He's a super flexible furry martial artist from London. She is a Rabbit breeding mad scientist from Michigan. They fight crime!
The Great Hippo wrote:I THINK THE SOLAR SYSTEM MIGHT BE AN ATOM OF OXYGEN.

Blog

he/him/his

e^iπ+1=0
Much, much better than Gooder

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:25 am UTC

Stupis itunes 10 made me waste time adding the color back and making the buttons horizontal.
poxic wrote:You, sir, have heroic hair.
poxic wrote:I note that the hair is not slowing down. It appears to have progressed from heroic to rocking.

(Avatar by Sungura)

Amarantha

Postby Amarantha » Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:52 am UTC

I know a bloke whose Outlook installation got totally farked by a rogue iTunes update. Took him ages to figure out what caused it.

My rant:
Can someone remind me again why I chose to do a Masters degree. *bes over it*

userxp

Postby userxp » Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:44 pm UTC

The people who name the USB specifications are complete idiots who seem to live under a rock and have never bought computer accessories.
They named the standards "Low-Bandwidth", "Full-Bandwidth", "Hi-Speed" and "SuperSpeed". Don't they realize that if you name something "Hi-Speed" or "SuperSpeed, in fifteen years it will be outdated and the name will just confuse customers?
Year 2030:
-Hello, I'd like to buy a computer please.
-Do you want it SuperSpeed, MegaSpeed, UltraSpeed, ReallyFastSpeed, EvenFasterSpeed, AmazingSpeed, or AwesomeSpeed?
-WTF?

bentheimmigrant
Dotcor Good Poster

Postby bentheimmigrant » Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:42 pm UTC

userxp wrote:The people who name the USB specifications are complete idiots who seem to live under a rock and have never bought computer accessories.
They named the standards "Low-Bandwidth", "Full-Bandwidth", "Hi-Speed" and "SuperSpeed". Don't they realize that if you name something "Hi-Speed" or "SuperSpeed, in fifteen years it will be outdated and the name will just confuse customers?
Year 2030:
-Hello, I'd like to buy a computer please.
-Do you want it SuperSpeed, MegaSpeed, UltraSpeed, ReallyFastSpeed, EvenFasterSpeed, AmazingSpeed, or AwesomeSpeed?
-WTF?

You missed Ludicrous Speed. I am disappoint.

Link

Postby Link » Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:12 pm UTC

Amarantha wrote:I know a bloke whose Outlook installation got totally farked by a rogue iTunes update. Took him ages to figure out what caused it.
wat

If updating one application can interfere destructively with another, totally unrelated application, someone is really, really doin' it wrong. Even by Microsoft and Apple's standards, that level of fail is quite unexpected.

@userxp: true that. Consider those old serial and parallel ports (for mice, joysticks, printers, etcetera). Their technical name is "D-SUB", which stands for - believe it or not - D-subminiature. Of course, old nomenclature doesn't really have to be forward-compatible if there is a reasonable expectation of it being replaced before becoming so horribly outdated, and considering USB isn't very pretty under the hood (compared to, for example, RS232, SPI or I²C), if something simpler and even faster comes along (which I suspect will also be parallel instead of serial, because you can only ram so many bits through a single conductor per time unit before you have to open a whole nother can o' worms), USB may suddenly find itself not being so popular any more, making the nomenclature moot. But if it doesn't become outdated soon-ish, then we might indeed be looking at USB 10.0/HolyCowI'mTotallyGoingSoFastOhF*** by 2030. ;) </ramble>

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:30 pm UTC

I've never heard of these USB specification names before. Only 1.0 and 2.0.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Return to “General”