Hype your ripe snipes 'n' gripes

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Nemphael

Re: Rant Thread - The Spies of Faith

Postby Nemphael » Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:37 pm UTC

Link wrote:
Amarantha wrote:I know a bloke whose Outlook installation got totally farked by a rogue iTunes update. Took him ages to figure out what caused it.
wat

If updating one application can interfere destructively with another, totally unrelated application, someone is really, really doin' it wrong. Even by Microsoft and Apple's standards, that level of fail is quite unexpected.

IIRC, for some people, iTunes made CD drives unusable. Happened to me a couple of years ago, though I can't remember whether it was a widespread problem.

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:42 pm UTC

I think it was, but I have no proof.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Torvaun

Postby Torvaun » Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:46 pm UTC

I don't remember that from iTunes, but Starforce CD copy protection definitely did. There were a few other class acts they've pulled since then too.
Hawknc wrote:I don't know if you've never heard of trolling, or if you're just very good at it.

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:55 pm UTC

Link wrote:if something simpler and even faster comes along
*rants about lightpeak not being out yet*

hintss

Postby hintss » Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:54 am UTC

like certain windows apps and GRUB2?

the windows apps made grub2 break, and the system became unbootable....

Amarantha

Postby Amarantha » Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:53 am UTC

As it turns out, all my hoodies are red, and thus must be washed in the red load. All my jumpers are silk, and thus must be washed in the delicates load. Thus I keep running out of over-tops to wear, and having to crack out a horrible acrylic number from the giveaway pile until I can get enough red/delicate things for a load. I would buy new tops, except the entire clothing industry is a pack of shallow, elitist, image-obsessed twits who care not a fig for practicality or comfort. MAKE ME SOME DECENT TOPS YER BASTIDS!
omgryebread wrote:...if I'm watching a fantasy, I want my princess to stab some motherfuckers, claim the crown herself, then invade the prince's kingdom and sleep with his sister.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:28 am UTC

Felltir wrote:ARGHARGHARGHARGHARGH

HURRY UP WITH YOUR RELIGIOUS HOLIDAYS ALREADY

I WANT MY GODDAMN SHOES

Did I see you at Waterloo Station on Friday e'en, at roughly 8 minutes to 6pm? (Heading towards the Waterloo & City Underground area, though you may not have actually been heading towards the Northern/Bakerloo Line). I'm sure it was you. You were with a guy and explaining stuff to him with your hands (and voice).

You were wearing shoes then.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

Ulc

Postby Ulc » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:16 pm UTC

Bloody hell. Gravity flow columns suck.

I have this setup where the column runs with a speed of roughly 1.2 ml/min. Aove the column material it can contain around 25 ml.

The protocol tells me to run the following amounts

60 ml
Wait 30 min.
120 ml
200 ml
100 ml

So seven hours of waiting 12 minutes, pouring a small amount (~15 ml or so), waiting 12 min, pouring a small amount. Repeat ad nauseum.

For those unused to lab work, 12 min. is too short a timeframe to do anything useful at all. But long enought to be incredible boring.
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it - Aristotle

A White Russian, shades and a bathrobe, what more can you want from life?

bigglesworth

Postby bigglesworth » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:30 pm UTC

I tend to have textbook on hand for those times.

>_>
<_<

Technically not advice.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Postby Moo » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:31 pm UTC

bigglesworth wrote:I tend to have textbook on hand for those times.

>_>
<_<

Technically not advice.
I lolled :)
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

Ulc

Postby Ulc » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:37 pm UTC

bigglesworth wrote:I tend to have textbook on hand for those times.

I have plenty of articles to read, but it takes me a bit of time to pick up from where I left last, then a bit of time to start concentrating again, and then it's time to leave.
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it - Aristotle

A White Russian, shades and a bathrobe, what more can you want from life?

Zarq

Postby Zarq » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:42 pm UTC

Holy something, what has happened to IMDb? My eyes hurt.
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit

bigglesworth

Postby bigglesworth » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:44 pm UTC

Ulc wrote:I have plenty of articles to read, but it takes me a bit of time to pick up from where I left last, then a bit of time to start concentrating again, and then it's time to leave.
Yeah, unlike most textbooks, papers are too information-rich. It kinda shows that most of them started off about twice the length...

Okita
Staying Alive

Postby Okita » Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:30 pm UTC

People who have to sign their posts/ comments/ online stuff. You have a username that shows up next to your post. Or worse yet, your real name if you're on Facebook. There is no reason for the sigature. It doesn't add any information beyond the fact that you decided to take the time to write your name just in case no one could look an inch left or right to see who wrote it.
"I may or may not be a raptor. There is no way of knowing until entering a box that I happen to be in and then letting me sunder the delicious human flesh from your body in reptile fury."

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:39 pm UTC

i hate ticketmaster with a passion unequalled in dramatic literature. They're absurd and my hatred for them is absurd. If tickets say $46, why am I paying $60? A $14 markup that's 99.9% profit? fuckin assholes.
uhhhh fuck.

saxmaniac1987
Can't spell sex

Postby saxmaniac1987 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:59 pm UTC

Midnight wrote:i hate ticketmaster with a passion unequalled in dramatic literature. They're absurd and my hatred for them is absurd. If tickets say $46, why am I paying $60? A $14 markup that's 99.9% profit? fuckin assholes.

AGREEEEEEEEED. RAWWWRRRRR.
"A witty saying proves nothing" - Voltaire

Torvaun

Postby Torvaun » Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:04 pm UTC

The answer is, because you -will- pay $60. Or someone else will.
Hawknc wrote:I don't know if you've never heard of trolling, or if you're just very good at it.

userxp

Postby userxp » Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:41 pm UTC

http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread531159/pg1
These people believe Edison knew how to make light-bulbs that last forever, but the evil corporations are conspiring to keep us from the secret. Apparently none of them thought about searching Wikipedia for the real explanation (since everyone knows Wikipedia is controlled by the New World Order)

If you are thinking "Oh, it's not that bad, it's just some undocumented people on the Internet...", sorry but you're horribly wrong. Just go to their main page: http://abovetopsecret.com/.
2 UFO's filmed over water on News
Cancer is DEAD: Cancer cures from A to Z
The Rendlesham Forest UFO - What really Happened?
9/11 even real pilots couldn't do it
Rapture to occur next week..
Gigantic Alien Craft Photographed By Cassini! NASA’s Cover-Up Blown?
Alien City On Mars? Check This Out!
The Chemtrail Phenomenon

And yes, they are all completely serious.

rrwoods

Postby rrwoods » Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:47 pm UTC

userxp wrote:
Rapture to occur next week..

HOLY FUCK i need to not read this at work, I am laughing so god damn hard right now. :mrgreen:
31/M/taken/US
age/gender/interest/country

Belial wrote:The sex card is tournament legal. And I am tapping it for, like, six mana.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:00 pm UTC

Hahahaha, I love Above Top Secret. That's where I found this gem of a short story.

My ex used to be active in the survivalist section of the forums - there's a lot of good information there. Yes, most of it is crackpots and tinfoil hats, but there are intelligent individuals in the community buried in there somewhere.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:01 pm UTC

I have never had a light bulb go out when I was not turning it on... The fact that the light bulb mentioned is 4 watts and hasn't been turned off in over 30 years makes me wonder if those two factors have anything to do with the lifetime.
Summum ius, summa iniuria.

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:07 pm UTC

Torvaun wrote:The answer is, because you -will- pay $60. Or someone else will.

Hah. I understand economics, dude. Usually, I WON'T pay that much. Rarely do I buy tickets from ticketmaster, but it's a gift, so there's that. Yes, you can argue "But you did this time!" but if they made their prices cheaper, me buying from ticketmaster wouldn't be the exception, and they'd make more money in the long run.
uhhhh fuck.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:57 pm UTC

Nemphael wrote:
Link wrote:
Amarantha wrote:I know a bloke whose Outlook installation got totally farked by a rogue iTunes update. Took him ages to figure out what caused it.
wat

If updating one application can interfere destructively with another, totally unrelated application, someone is really, really doin' it wrong. Even by Microsoft and Apple's standards, that level of fail is quite unexpected.

IIRC, for some people, iTunes made CD drives unusable. Happened to me a couple of years ago, though I can't remember whether it was a widespread problem.

Once, I tried installing the driver for an old-ish printer on a Vista machine, and it made the CD drive stop working.

Rant: FUCK YOU CHAIR! You appear to be designed to facilitate funny bone hitting. YOU ARE A BAD CHAIR.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

Torvaun

Postby Torvaun » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:09 am UTC

Midnight wrote:
Hah. I understand economics, dude. Usually, I WON'T pay that much. Rarely do I buy tickets from ticketmaster, but it's a gift, so there's that. Yes, you can argue "But you did this time!" but if they made their prices cheaper, me buying from ticketmaster wouldn't be the exception, and they'd make more money in the long run.
Only if they often end up holding unsold tickets. If they sell them all at 60, then it's quite possible they're still undervaluing them.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:28 am UTC

The abovetopsecret article wrote:This lightbulb is known as The Cenntenial Light. It has been noted by General Electric, The Guinness Book of World Records and US Government because its been burning since 108 years.
Holy crap, that lightbulb's one thousand nine hundred and two years old!

College rant: Transferring to a private university from a public one is a nightmare. Private unis tend to completely ignore the conventional course names/descriptions, which made the past two hours a bit of a nightmare.

Edit: I like using the word "nightmare", apparently. Nightmare nightmare nightmare nightmare nightmare nightmare.
Last edited by Magnanimous on Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:36 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Link

Postby Link » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:34 am UTC

Fuck you, news. I didn't want to hear the outcome of the US Open final yet. Why the fuck do you put sports news smack-dab in the middle of normal news anyway? Is it so fucking hard to wait until you're out of normal news, and then give everyone a heads-up that you're going to be announcing sports scores, so people can change the channel if they don't want to hear the scores yet?

Dasboard
Location: I wish I was dreaming of soap.... wait where was this space for again?

Postby Dasboard » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:16 am UTC

The outcome was predictable though, Anyway, if you only know who won, it's still worth it to watch it. It was a exciting and fun match.

Actually, even if you know the rest too, you should still watch it.
Are you ready? Well I made my bet
Are you ready? I made some.. preparations.
Are you ready? But I'm older now!
But are you ready? Yeah...

smw543

Postby smw543 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:24 am UTC

Raeluna wrote:
Izawwlgood wrote:
Raeluna wrote:Same goes for people who use Ebonics or street-speak constantly...the way I was raised, with my grammar and language being corrected constantly...that style of speaking makes the gears in my brain grind against each other rather painfully.
People can say very intelligent things, and indeed, be very intelligent, while still utilizing horrid grammar. I think I was supposed to use 'whilst'?

My guess is many people, perhaps more so with xkcd readership, could stand to read this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illusory_superiority
I know they can still use horrible grammar and be intelligent, but it doesn't make them sound very intelligent. I'm allowed my flaws, don't tell me I have a superiority complex - I'm all too aware of my negative aspects. Besides, I don't judge people compared to myself, I judge what they're like compared to the people that normally hang around with me. Besides, what's wrong with thinking you're better than some people in certain areas? Everyone isn't equal after all, smartness is all I have going for me x.x

Ebonics does not mean bad grammar; it just has different rules.

Rant: I hate when people uncritically accept and repeat racist societal opinions.[/passive-aggressive overload]
Spoiler:
LE4dGOLEM wrote:Now you know the difference between funny and sad.
Ubik wrote:But I'm too fond of the penis to let it go.
gmalivuk wrote:If you didn't want people to 'mis'understand you, then you probably should have tried saying something less stupid.

Amarantha

Postby Amarantha » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:02 am UTC

Fuck Java. And everything that runs it.

And studying.

Link

Postby Link » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:40 am UTC

Dasboard wrote:The outcome was predictable though, Anyway, if you only know who won, it's still worth it to watch it. It was a exciting and fun match.

Except I didn't only know who won; the exact scores were stated. The winner was somewhat predictable (though not even necessarily), but the scores weren't.

Yes, the match was worth watching even while knowing the results, but it's still a dickish move to state the scores right in the middle of completely unrelated news items.

Amarantha wrote:Fuck Java. And everything that runs it.

And studying.

Mhh, I find Java, as a language, to be decent, but the implementation (the virtual machine/JRE) is horrid. Sun's reference implementation adds a layer of restricted freedom to it, which IcedTea strips away again, but neither appears to be particularly spectacular when it comes to performance or playing nice with the underlying operating system (especially when that operating system isn't Windows). In particular, getting Java to play nice with the many sound systems available on Linux (particularly ALSA) is a massive PITA at best and impossible without hacking the JVM at worst.

That said, Flash is about twenty orders of magnitude more horrible. So horrible, in fact, that when the 64-bit plugin got taken away, I tried to get something working with nspluginwrapper and gnash, but later decided to stop using a Flash plugin altogether. Wherever possible, I completely avoid sites that require Flash to use. For those extremely few important sites that require flash, I have a 32-bit Chromium browser in a chroot.

Oh, also, JavaScript. Some sites use it so heavily and so poorly that I can almost hear every neuron in my brain crying in horror. What's worse is it's extreme prevalence, and the fact that many sites require it while there is no valid reason to require it. "Ooh, but it gives you dynamic content," you say. Sure, that's nice, if you manage to make it work reliably, and if you allow me turn it the fuck off if it doesn't. Seriously, even especially big sites like Google force-feed that crap to their users in the name of "usability" (which, it appears, is a synonym for utter crap). Graah.

As for studying, god yes. I can't exactly explain why, but standard studying methods are highly counter-intuitive for me. I know repetition-ad-nauseam is a big part of it, but there's more, which I can't quite place my finger on, that makes me despise studying (as opposed to regular learning). Oh, and there's also the whole "you have to learn this to get your diploma, even though there's a 95% chance you will never ever need it again in the future" thing.

Raeluna

Postby Raeluna » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:00 pm UTC

smw543 wrote:
Raeluna wrote:
Izawwlgood wrote:
Raeluna wrote:Same goes for people who use Ebonics or street-speak constantly...the way I was raised, with my grammar and language being corrected constantly...that style of speaking makes the gears in my brain grind against each other rather painfully.
People can say very intelligent things, and indeed, be very intelligent, while still utilizing horrid grammar. I think I was supposed to use 'whilst'?

My guess is many people, perhaps more so with xkcd readership, could stand to read this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illusory_superiority
I know they can still use horrible grammar and be intelligent, but it doesn't make them sound very intelligent. I'm allowed my flaws, don't tell me I have a superiority complex - I'm all too aware of my negative aspects. Besides, I don't judge people compared to myself, I judge what they're like compared to the people that normally hang around with me. Besides, what's wrong with thinking you're better than some people in certain areas? Everyone isn't equal after all, smartness is all I have going for me x.x

Ebonics does not mean bad grammar; it just has different rules.

Rant: I hate when people uncritically accept and repeat racist societal opinions.[/passive-aggressive overload]

Half my family speaks ebonics and the only one who doesn't speak that way is a college professor. I said *sound* intelligent. SOUND. S-O-U-N-D.

....that word has now lost all meaning to me. Dammit. I hate that.
thicknavyrain wrote:Marry me. Now.

"So, why are you a fruit bat?"
"I dunno, healthier I guess."
"Well yeah, but 'I vant to suck your melons' just doesn't have the same ring to it."

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:59 pm UTC

Raeluna wrote:Half my family speaks ebonics and the only one who doesn't speak that way is a college professor. I said *sound* intelligent. SOUND. S-O-U-N-D.

Only two people in your family? Are you the college professor or the one who speaks ebonics?
Summum ius, summa iniuria.

doogly
Dr. The Juggernaut of Touching Himself

Postby doogly » Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:43 pm UTC

Fractions aren't part of intelligence yo, lay off.
LE4dGOLEM: What's a Doug?
Noc: A larval Doogly. They grow the tail and stinger upon reaching adulthood.

Keep waggling your butt brows Brothers.
Or; Is that your eye butthairs?

Dasboard
Location: I wish I was dreaming of soap.... wait where was this space for again?

Postby Dasboard » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:13 pm UTC

Link wrote:
Dasboard wrote:The outcome was predictable though, Anyway, if you only know who won, it's still worth it to watch it. It was a exciting and fun match.

Except I didn't only know who won; the exact scores were stated. The winner was somewhat predictable (though not even necessarily), but the scores weren't.

Yes, the match was worth watching even while knowing the results, but it's still a dickish move to state the scores right in the middle of completely unrelated news items.

Yes. Yes it is.
Are you ready? Well I made my bet
Are you ready? I made some.. preparations.
Are you ready? But I'm older now!
But are you ready? Yeah...

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:31 pm UTC

Torvaun wrote:
Midnight wrote:
Only if they often end up holding unsold tickets. If they sell them all at 60, then it's quite possible they're still undervaluing them.

They'd make more money from ME, and many many many people who think along the lines I do. Saxmaniac1987 is one who emphatically agreed with me, so I think that they'd make more money in the long run. Especially considering plenty of shows don't get sold out.
My issue here isn't the price of the tickets themselves. If the band and venue is charging $60, fine--but if they're charging $60, I want to PAY $60, not $75 due to Bullshit Ticketmaster Fees.
uhhhh fuck.

smw543

Postby smw543 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:56 pm UTC

Raeluna wrote:\Half my family speaks ebonics and the only one who doesn't speak that way is a college professor. I said *sound* intelligent. SOUND. S-O-U-N-D.

No, see, that first sentence sounds unintelligent (unless your family consists of two people including yourself, and you're the only one who speaks Ebonics). There is no remotely objective basis for saying that speaking Ebonics makes someone sound less intelligent; it comes entirely from societal racism. And I get that it's hard not to absorb opinions like that from society, but I wish people would at least not give voice to their ignorance. Also, I was originally responding to your (factually incorrect) comment about "horrible grammar," which spoke to the ignorance that presumably informed your opinion on the intelligence of Ebonics speakers.

Midnight wrote:
Torvaun wrote:
Midnight wrote:
They'd make more money from ME, and many many many people who think along the lines I do. Saxmaniac1987 is one who emphatically agreed with me, so I think that they'd make more money in the long run. Especially considering plenty of shows don't get sold out.
My issue here isn't the price of the tickets themselves. If the band and venue is charging $60, fine--but if they're charging $60, I want to PAY $60, not $75 due to Bullshit Ticketmaster Fees.
Midnight wrote:Hah. I understand economics, dude.

No, you really don't. Tickets are a finite resource; if you only have 100 to sell, and you think you can sell them all at $60, then it makes no sense to sell at $50. Even if you only sell 90 of them, you still get $400 more than if you sold them all at $50.
Spoiler:
LE4dGOLEM wrote:Now you know the difference between funny and sad.
Ubik wrote:But I'm too fond of the penis to let it go.
gmalivuk wrote:If you didn't want people to 'mis'understand you, then you probably should have tried saying something less stupid.

Raeluna

Postby Raeluna » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:40 pm UTC

By "half my family" I meant the black side, my father's side. Yanno, I'm mixed-race and all.

But ugh, I'm done with the subject. My rant is how I hate not being able to rant about something without being jumped all over. Does nothing to help my irritation with the subject at hand. This is why I never post. :?
thicknavyrain wrote:Marry me. Now.

"So, why are you a fruit bat?"
"I dunno, healthier I guess."
"Well yeah, but 'I vant to suck your melons' just doesn't have the same ring to it."

emceng

Postby emceng » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:47 pm UTC

smw543 wrote:
Raeluna wrote:\Half my family speaks ebonics and the only one who doesn't speak that way is a college professor. I said *sound* intelligent. SOUND. S-O-U-N-D.

No, see, that first sentence sounds unintelligent (unless your family consists of two people including yourself, and you're the only one who speaks Ebonics). There is no remotely objective basis for saying that speaking Ebonics makes someone sound less intelligent; it comes entirely from societal racism. And I get that it's hard not to absorb opinions like that from society, but I wish people would at least not give voice to their ignorance. Also, I was originally responding to your (factually incorrect) comment about "horrible grammar," which spoke to the ignorance that presumably informed your opinion on the intelligence of Ebonics speakers.

How is speaking and writing correctly racism? How can bias against an acquired trait be racist? Is it racist to dislike people on welfare, or people that own yachts? There IS an objective basis for ebonics causing a negative impression of someone. It gives the impression that the person either was never taught correct pronunciation, or does not care to use it. You can argue about it being a dialect, or the mutability of language, but that does not change the basic facts. Ebonics consists of mispronouncing and misusing the English language as it is used and defined. The race of the speakers of ebonics have no impact on that.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

meatyochre

Postby meatyochre » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:53 pm UTC

I really hate southern accents. Haaaaate.

Is it racist to haaaaate southern accents and also haaaaaate ebonics? Is there an ebonics accent or is it just a dialect?
Dark567 wrote:"Hey, I created a perpetual motion device"

"yeah, but your poster sucks. F-"

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:07 pm UTC

Midnight wrote:Hah. I understand economics, dude.

No, you really don't. Tickets are a finite resource; if you only have 100 to sell, and you think you can sell them all at $60, then it makes no sense to sell at $50. Even if you only sell 90 of them, you still get $400 more than if you sold them all at $50.[/quote]
As much I love reading one segment out of context, I'm going to direct you to this:
Midnight wrote:My issue here isn't the price of the tickets themselves. If the band and venue is charging $60, fine--but if they're charging $60, I want to PAY $60, not $75 due to Bullshit Ticketmaster Fees.

As a minor addendum, I dislike that ticketmaster itself tells you the tickets are $46 and you end up paying $58. If they told you up front "$58 after fees and shit" that'd be better, but still not good in any sense.
Really, I take umbrage against the concept of just raking in pure profit without actually working for it. I dunno what ticketmaster's overhead is, but I can't imagine that it's very high because they don't actually have anything except an office and some servers. So it's silly that they need to charge so much well, they don't need to charge so much, they just CAN.
It's the same reason that I (along with everyone else) hate ATMs that charge you $2 for using them--it costs the company a fraction of a fraction of a cent to make the transaction, but they just say "fuck it, we can charge 'em that much, let's do it."

I said I understand economics. I didn't say "I approve of charging excessive prices for a service even though it's good economic sense." Yeah, it's economically viable, but that doesn't mean it's a Good Thing To Do.
Think about how DOW Chemical makes cheap chemicals, but they also poison water supplies left and right cause it's cheaper to not give a shit. Yeah, I know, killing thousands =/= charging high ticket prices, but even though you can argue that it's better for them cause it's a good economic strategy that generates a lot more money, it boils down to a Dick Move.
uhhhh fuck.

Return to “General”