Hype your ripe snipes 'n' gripes

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

It Should Be Real
Ninja Sauce Container

Re: Rant Thread - The Spies of Faith

Postby It Should Be Real » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:12 pm UTC

For feck's sake.
I got some forms from the college to access some fund they have to give poor kids school books, because all together mine will cost just shy of £100 and I can't afford it, simple as.
I was filling it all in and asked mam for some proof of her income because they need evidence, and she got right arsey and went off on a rant about not wanting the college people to know about 'our situation', full on screaming and shouting and waving her arms; the whole shebang. No reasoning with her.
She snatched the forms off me, ripped them up and put them in the bin.
So I asked her if she intended to help me pay for school books, and she responds that she can't afford it.
So I can't access the fund unless she gives me some proof of income and signs the consent forms, she won't help me out with money and I can't afford it myself.
Bloody hell. *sighs*

meatyochre

Postby meatyochre » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:51 pm UTC

Midnight wrote:My issue here isn't the price of the tickets themselves. If the band and venue is charging $60, fine--but if they're charging $60, I want to PAY $60, not $75 due to Bullshit Ticketmaster Fees.
As a minor addendum, I dislike that ticketmaster itself tells you the tickets are $46 and you end up paying $58. If they told you up front "$58 after fees and shit" that'd be better, but still not good in any sense.
Really, I take umbrage against the concept of just raking in pure profit without actually working for it. I dunno what ticketmaster's overhead is, but I can't imagine that it's very high because they don't actually have anything except an office and some servers. So it's silly that they need to charge so much well, they don't need to charge so much, they just CAN.

Ticketmaster ostensibly has advertising fees to pay. And someone set up/maintains their web presence. And people maintain those offices and servers.

I think it'd be great if you could buy directly from the band or venue, but a lot of places/bands go through Ticketmaster because they've streamlined the process and they've become a HUGE name. That doesn't happen by accident. Advertising is big bucks.
Dark567 wrote:"Hey, I created a perpetual motion device"

"yeah, but your poster sucks. F-"

Chai Kovsky

Postby Chai Kovsky » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:02 am UTC

Here's an economics concept: monopoly! They get to charge whatever the frickety-frick they want, and apparently anti-trust legislation doesn't matter.
Spoiler:
kellsbells wrote:¡This Chai is burning me!
Chai Kovsky wrote:I can kill you with my brain.

That is all.
superglucose wrote:In other words: LISTEN TO CHAI.
Delayra wrote:Yet another brilliant idea from Chai!

I <3 Pirate.Bondage!

meatyochre

Postby meatyochre » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:08 am UTC

Chai Kovsky wrote:Here's an economics concept: monopoly! They get to charge whatever the frickety-frick they want, and apparently anti-trust legislation doesn't matter.

That would be a separate argument. Not that it's a bad argument, I don't know enough about trust laws to say one way or the other. I'm just saying that Midnight's assertion that Ticketmaster hasn't done any work for the money they collect is naive. I mean, yeah they're a middleman and it seems kinda lame. But middlemen don't just put themselves someplace magically and everyone starts magically using them. There's a LOT of time, work, and money that goes into creating ANY business. Even a midbiz.

Chai Kovsky

Postby Chai Kovsky » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:12 am UTC

And that's typically reflected in high prices that gradually lower as the business becomes more established and has paid back its startup capital. Ticketmaster has more than done that. Because there's no competition, their fees have stayed artificially high over time, while in a competitive environment, they would be cutting overhead costs more viciously and you could see a reflection of that in lower fees.

Not saying what you pointed out isn't true--namely that there are other overhead fees to be had than a fatcat CEO and a server farm (though I doubt their advertising costs, for instance, are that high--they rarely need to be in a monopoly situation). But monopoly does explain most of Midnight's issues with the company.
Spoiler:
kellsbells wrote:¡This Chai is burning me!
Chai Kovsky wrote:I can kill you with my brain.

That is all.
superglucose wrote:In other words: LISTEN TO CHAI.
Delayra wrote:Yet another brilliant idea from Chai!

I <3 Pirate.Bondage!

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:02 am UTC

Also fairly accurate. The only show I've ever been to that didn't use Ticketmaster was Fugazi. I'll grant you that I'm not precisely a Show-A-Week person, nor have I ever been, but I've been to my fair share of lesser known acts in small venues and such, and.. yeah, outside of just going to see some local acts (though there ARE some Louisville-local acts that use Ticketmaster) Fugazi's the only big name I can think of that didn't use Ticketmaster.. and that's mostly because they're really against high priced tickets in the first place.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

GraphiteGirl
Alpha Male

Postby GraphiteGirl » Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:39 am UTC

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH
GONEPOGNPENGERNE[LPKR3 F

THAT IS ALL, GO ABOUT YOUR BUSINESS
Sandry wrote:Man, my commitment to sparkle motion is waaaaay lower than you are intimating.

e^iπ+1=0
Much, much better than Gooder

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:45 am UTC

When I say I've had enough of badmouth the family time, in those exact words, I mean it. That doesn't mean attempt to explain yourself, especially when such explanations contain more family badmouthing. Also, the rest of your explanation didn't make sense. Furthermore, qualifiers like "Well I think he's a great guy, but..." are complete BS.
poxic wrote:You, sir, have heroic hair.
poxic wrote:I note that the hair is not slowing down. It appears to have progressed from heroic to rocking.

(Avatar by Sungura)

meatyochre

Postby meatyochre » Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:00 am UTC

In a quasi-related rant, I don't understand strong family ties, having none myself. Leaving home was the most liberating experience of my life, and my interactions with family are mercifully brief at worst, nonexistent at best. Possibly it helps if your parents aren't monsters whose pastime is beating each other, though.

e^iπ+1=0
Much, much better than Gooder

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:35 am UTC

It wasn't because they're family so much as they're just people I like. I'd likely have expressed the same sentiment if he was bashing other people I like.
poxic wrote:You, sir, have heroic hair.
poxic wrote:I note that the hair is not slowing down. It appears to have progressed from heroic to rocking.

(Avatar by Sungura)

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:49 am UTC

meatyochre wrote:Ticketmaster ostensibly has advertising fees to pay. And someone set up/maintains their web presence. And people maintain those offices and servers.
I think it'd be great if you could buy directly from the band or venue, but a lot of places/bands go through Ticketmaster because they've streamlined the process and they've become a HUGE name. That doesn't happen by accident. Advertising is big bucks.

Yeah, but ticketmaster has advertising on it's own website. My point is that it doesn't have NEARLY the overhead of any of the venues it supports. I'm not saying they have none, I'm saying they charge well out of proportion. The ATM-fee-example holds up: it costs money for ATM building/infrastructure, but at this point they're machines that just sit there and generate profit.
It makes sense for the Greek Theater to charge a lot of money, because hey, it's a huge place and there's a lot of costs to consider, lots of people to pay. I think meatyochre hit the nail on the head as far as the monopoly thing, which sort of relates to what I was saying, as far as the "high costs to cover initial stuff, and now it's just high costs for the fun of it"

It's really exemplified by their "print now!" feature, which costs an extra $2.50. It is totally impossible for some super-super-lightweight data transfer to cost more than mailing something, but ticketmaster charges more for the printing and it's just free money for them, cause we'll do it cause we're sheep.

Fugazi is awesome though. I believe Black Flag does the same thing, cause Henry Rollins is a beast.
uhhhh fuck.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:22 am UTC

GraphiteGirl wrote:AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH
GONEPOGNPENGERNE[LPKR3 F

Imma post this in Logic Puzzles to see if someone can de-cipher it.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

smw543

Postby smw543 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:25 am UTC

EDIT: This post has been up for a couple hours, so I imagine enough people have read it that it would be obnoxious to delete/scour it. I'll just say that I've been in a (justifiably, IMO) pissy mood, the reason for which will soon be a wall-of-text rant if my (fucking brand new) router doesn't crap out again. @Raeluna & emceng: As someone with an English degree (and someone who grew up largely immersed in AAVE), that issue is a major pet peeve for me, but I'm OK with dropping it. @Midnight: Let's just call this one a miscommunication.
Spoiler:
Raeluna wrote:By "half my family" I meant the black side, my father's side. Yanno, I'm mixed-race and all.

But ugh, I'm done with the subject. My rant is how I hate not being able to rant about something without being jumped all over. Does nothing to help my irritation with the subject at hand. This is why I never post. :?

You've been here for almost 2 years. You should be surprised if someone doesn't call you on a racially insensitive remark (or rather, a factually incorrect remark that has close ties with harmful racial stereotypes).

emceng wrote:How is speaking and writing correctly racism? How can bias against an acquired trait be racist? Is it racist to dislike people on welfare, or people that own yachts? There IS an objective basis for ebonics causing a negative impression of someone. It gives the impression that the person either was never taught correct pronunciation, or does not care to use it. You can argue about it being a dialect, or the mutability of language, but that does not change the basic facts. Ebonics consists of mispronouncing and misusing the English language as it is used and defined. The race of the speakers of ebonics have no impact on that.

Did you click on (or at least hover over) that link I posted? It's from Stanford University... you may have heard of them. Yes, any linguist worth the parchment their degree is printed on acknowledges Ebonics (properly termed "African American Vernacular English" or AAVE) as a legitimate English dialect. You are being willfully ignorant, to the point that I think you're daring me to call you racist.

@Midnight: You said, "They'd make more money from ME, and many many many people who think along the lines I do." Which doesn't mean shit to Ticketmaster, nor should it. Economically speaking, there is no reason for them to care who buys their tickets. I never said they weren't dicks.
Spoiler:
LE4dGOLEM wrote:Now you know the difference between funny and sad.
Ubik wrote:But I'm too fond of the penis to let it go.
gmalivuk wrote:If you didn't want people to 'mis'understand you, then you probably should have tried saying something less stupid.

rheakith

Postby rheakith » Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:53 pm UTC

Well I'm an idiot, and if my SO was a reader/poster of this, I would deserve to be ranted at. For now, I'll go with in person, as I certainly deserve it.

Robert'); DROP TABLE *;

Postby Robert'); DROP TABLE *; » Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:37 pm UTC

Why did some critical component of my computer pick now to finally give up the ghost?
...And that is how we know the Earth to be banana-shaped.

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:40 pm UTC

Because you already had a BSoD scheduled for 1530.
- Ochigo the Earth-Stomper

The EGE wrote:
Mumpy wrote:And to this day, librarians revile Oregonaut as the Antichrist.

False! We sacrifice our card catalogues to him in the name of Job Security!

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:42 pm UTC

That reminds me...backup time! Lest I end up in this thread legitimately. *huggles brand-new 2 TB drive*
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

Nemphael

Postby Nemphael » Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:45 pm UTC

OKAY, SO I MAKE MISTAKES!

Your car is different from my teacher's car, I've had three lessons and you yell at me for every little thing I'm already freaking out over doing! Okay, so I killed the engine. When you say "More gas!", you don't tell me when, or how, or show me, or ANYTHING. I still haven't got the hang of your car, it's COMPLETELY DIFFERENT, and I've tried telling you SEVERAL TIMES.
(And before that I didn't even know what each pedal did. I'VE TOLD YOU THIS!)

"Push down that pedal and release it slowly and give some gas". Okay, I did that, I heard the engine roar. Oh, that wasn't enough gas? WHEN SHOULD I GIVE GAS? That seems pretty important to tell me. With my teacher's car, I use the clutch, give a little gas and release the clutch slowly till the car is rolling by itself, at which point I give more gas. This has worked fine so far and my teacher says that's okay. With your car, it doesn't roll, it's sitting there, roaring, roaring, then suddenly jerk when I release the clutch however slow and start driving.

"Release it slowly" and "GET YOUR FOOT OFF THAT THING IT'S A REALLY BAD HABIT!" doesn't really compute.Could I at least START DRIVING?

And yes, you probably see a lot of stupid thing on my end, but, you don't have to get so angry at me all the time. I've still learning, and being traumatized by your rude remarks doesn't help.

dubsola

Postby dubsola » Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:50 pm UTC

emceng wrote:Ebonics consists of mispronouncing and misusing the English language as it is used and defined. The race of the speakers of ebonics have no impact on that.

Defined by... who? Or are you okay with the idea my being English (sort of) means that if you use any American variations on the Queen's English I'll think you're stupid?

English is a living language. It changes, not just as a whole, but by geographical area, and by culture, as well. Expecting a different culture to speak the same as you is ridiculous.

Kewangji
Has Been Touched

Postby Kewangji » Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:09 pm UTC

dubsola wrote:
emceng wrote:Ebonics consists of mispronouncing and misusing the English language as it is used and defined. The race of the speakers of ebonics have no impact on that.

Defined by... who? Or are you okay with the idea my being English (sort of) means that if you use any American variations on the Queen's English I'll think you're stupid?

English is a living language. It changes, not just as a whole, but by geographical area, and by culture, as well. Expecting a different culture to speak the same as you is ridiculous.

Ooh, we have that problem here too.

"All those immigrants, they've been here all their lives but they sound like they just came here!"
"No, they're talking a dialect called Blatteskånska, it's supposed to sound like that. It's good Swedish." (And nobody understands me when I say that, no matter what dialect I say it in.)

Rant: When I mention that I don't want advice on something and you keep giving me advice/offer suggestions, and I tell you really clearly that I don't want your opinion or input on this thing, that you're not helping at all and I've already thought of that, don't give me more advice. Don't philosophize more about the situation. Please.
If you like my words sign up for my newsletter, Airport Tattoo Parlour: https://tinyletter.com/distantstations

The Great Hippo wrote:Nuclear bombs are like potato chips, you can't stop after just *one*

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:11 pm UTC

Die Herrschaft des Terrors der Liberalen sein rüber!

Ich habe den Mann ermordet, der als John Kerry bekannt und seinen Kopf genommen ist! Ich halte diesen Kopf in meinen Händen, während ich schreie!

Gott segnen Amerika, yo!

The EGE wrote:

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:17 pm UTC

I wonder how much traffic you're singlehandedly driving to Google Translate.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:20 pm UTC

...Considering I'm a walking babelfish, probably a lot.

The EGE wrote:

I Am Raven

Postby I Am Raven » Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:22 pm UTC

Not me, I got all of that. It was pretty disturbing... and weird.
Ptolom wrote:penis

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:26 pm UTC

<shrug> I'm a fiscal conservative, and a social progressive. I hold no malice to John Kerry, I just thought the rant was funny.

The EGE wrote:

I Am Raven

Postby I Am Raven » Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:27 pm UTC

Oh it was. :) And yet... :P
Ptolom wrote:penis

Kewangji
Has Been Touched

Postby Kewangji » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:34 pm UTC

Oregonaut wrote:Die Herrschaft des Terrors der Liberalen sein rüber!

Ich habe den Mann ermordet, der als John Kerry bekannt und seinen Kopf genommen ist! Ich halte diesen Kopf in meinen Händen, während ich schreie!

Gott segnen Amerika, yo!

I'm attempting this without google translate.

The gentlemen of terrorism of liberals rule!

I have a man murdered, that is John Kerry, known for what his head is names! I hold that head in my hands, whereupon I scream!

God bless America, yo!

Was I close?
If you like my words sign up for my newsletter, Airport Tattoo Parlour: https://tinyletter.com/distantstations

The Great Hippo wrote:Nuclear bombs are like potato chips, you can't stop after just *one*

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:39 pm UTC

Close. You missed a few key parts, the rule is over, I killed him and took his head, ...and I fucked up.

Die Herrschaft des Terrors der Liberalen sein rüber!

Ich habe den Mann ermordet, der als John Kerry bekannt und seinen Kopf genommen ist! Ich habe diesen Kopf in meinen Händen, während ich schreie!

Gott segnen Amerika, yo!

Ich habe, not Ich halte.

The EGE wrote:

Kewangji
Has Been Touched

Postby Kewangji » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:48 pm UTC

For someone who never took German, I'll be proud of this.

Zarq

Postby Zarq » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:51 pm UTC

Kewangji wrote:
Oregonaut wrote:Die Herrschaft des Terrors der Liberalen sein rüber!

Gott segnen Amerika, yo!

I'm attempting this without google translate.

The gentlemen of terrorism of liberals rule!

I have a man murdered, that is John Kerry, known for what his head is names! I hold that head in my hands, whereupon I scream!

God bless America, yo!

Was I close?

You sure you haven't used google translate?
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit

Kewangji
Has Been Touched

Postby Kewangji » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:54 pm UTC

Zarq wrote:You sure you haven't used google translate?

Yeah. I suppose I should have guessed 'I have murdered a man,' though. If I had thought about it longer, I probably would have. :O

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:05 pm UTC

What is it about transcripts that take two weeks to process? Is your printer that terrible, or are you just lazy? I get that you're dealing with a lot of transcripts right now, but they can't possibly be much more complicated than verifying that everything is correct and mailing a letter. Unless your administration is so convoluted that it actually does take two weeks, which would be a completely different rant.

grythyttan
Location: Hncwhxagykozzqlif azefkbtvw. Kjkd sb, ypwyw eg tdpm.

Postby grythyttan » Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:18 am UTC

Spoiler:
SecondTalon wrote:Also fairly accurate. The only show I've ever been to that didn't use Ticketmaster was Fugazi. I'll grant you that I'm not precisely a Show-A-Week person, nor have I ever been, but I've been to my fair share of lesser known acts in small venues and such, and.. yeah, outside of just going to see some local acts (though there ARE some Louisville-local acts that use Ticketmaster) Fugazi's the only big name I can think of that didn't use Ticketmaster.. and that's mostly because they're really against high priced tickets in the first place.
Fugazi! I've been wondering what they were called for some time and now they are found! thank you.

2. What the fuck self. Stop getting crushes on the wrong goddamn people. You know damn well that it always ends up with me feeling bad, so stop that now.
Joy of Cooking was far less of an achievement than Thyme Cube discovery, for I have Cubed the Spice, with 4 simultaneous flavor types in 1 plant of Earth.
Spoiler:

emceng

Postby emceng » Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:14 pm UTC

Sigh/rant:

You know how to run a business? Apparently it involves never answering your phone, or your phone messages. Thats now 8 calls this week, and you never picked up. Three messages, and no call back. I have a broken piece of equipment here, and it is fucking important that it gets fixed. PICK UP YOUR DAMNED PHONE.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:19 pm UTC

emceng wrote:Sigh/rant:

You know how to run a business? Apparently it involves never answering your phone, or your phone messages. Thats now 8 calls this week, and you never picked up. Three messages, and no call back. I have a broken piece of equipment here, and it is fucking important that it gets fixed. PICK UP YOUR DAMNED PHONE.

Important to you. They couldn't give a toss. They'll do exactly enough to fulfill the letter of your support contract, and no more. Read that contract, it'll probably say something like "we reserve the right to ignore you in the event that we feel like it".
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

Vapour

Postby Vapour » Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:22 pm UTC

Screw you IE.

Everything is working fine in Chrome and Firefox, why are you so goddamn awkward.

Just work like all the other browsers!

ARRGHHHH

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:13 pm UTC

For the love of all that has holes in it. STOP SMACKING YOUR GOD DAMN LIPS WHEN YOU EAT FOOD. YOU HAVE FULLY FUNCTIONING TEETH. THEY DO NOT REQUIRE THE EXTRA VELOCITY THAT YOUR STUPID MOUSTACHE WEARING FACE PROVIDES WHEN OPENING AND CLOSING YOUR TALK HOLE.

<sigh>

It made me go Billy Mays mode.

The EGE wrote:

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Postby Moo » Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:25 pm UTC

Oregonaut wrote:For the love of all that has holes in it.
Every day I find new reasons to like you.
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:29 pm UTC

Really? I'd always assumed that my puns would instead cause symptoms similar to ebola, or the hanta virus.

The EGE wrote:

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:41 pm UTC

Oregonaut wrote:Really? I'd always assumed that my puns would instead cause symptoms similar to ebola, or the hanta virus.

Maybe she enjoys those things.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

Return to “General”