Blistering blue barnacles

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

User avatar
meatyochre
Posts: 1524
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:09 am UTC
Location: flying with the Conchords

Re: Rant Thread (to balance Awesome Thread)

Postby meatyochre » Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:50 am UTC

That sucks, Speck. I generally write off people on craigslist who don't respond within 12 hours because it's a generally unreliable medium :(
Dark567 wrote:"Hey, I created a perpetual motion device"

"yeah, but your poster sucks. F-"

Image

User avatar
hintss
Posts: 1294
Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:19 am UTC
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread (to balance Awesome Thread)

Postby hintss » Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:03 am UTC

wait, so the entry fee for the team to join FIRST is 5 times the cost of the robot?? WUT??

User avatar
SurgicalSteel
Posts: 1926
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:18 pm UTC
Location: DMV, USA

Re: Rant Thread (to balance Awesome Thread)

Postby SurgicalSteel » Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:58 am UTC

femtometer wrote:I wish more gun owners were even half as concerned about gun safety as you are.
In my experience most are, it's just that safety conscious gun owners, much like reasonably minded liberals, reasonably minded conservatives, video game players who don't kill anybody, pot smokers who do no harm, Muslims who aren't terrorists, etc., etc., do not make interesting news stories.

This isn't a rant against you fem, just a rant I thought of when I read your comment.
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

User avatar
femtometer
Posts: 134
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:45 am UTC
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread (to balance Awesome Thread)

Postby femtometer » Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:53 am UTC

SurgicalSteel wrote:
femtometer wrote:I wish more gun owners were even half as concerned about gun safety as you are.
In my experience most are, it's just that safety conscious gun owners, much like reasonably minded liberals, reasonably minded conservatives, video game players who don't kill anybody, pot smokers who do no harm, Muslims who aren't terrorists, etc., etc., do not make interesting news stories.

This isn't a rant against you fem, just a rant I thought of when I read your comment.

Oh no, I totally understand what you mean, I guess I should have said something along the lines of "I wish the gun owners that we hear about in the news..."

User avatar
The Scyphozoa
Posts: 2871
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:33 pm UTC
Location: Sector 5

Re: Rant Thread (to balance Awesome Thread)

Postby The Scyphozoa » Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:13 am UTC

femtometer wrote:
SurgicalSteel wrote:
femtometer wrote:I wish more gun owners were even half as concerned about gun safety as you are.
In my experience most are, it's just that safety conscious gun owners, much like reasonably minded liberals, reasonably minded conservatives, video game players who don't kill anybody, pot smokers who do no harm, Muslims who aren't terrorists, etc., etc., do not make interesting news stories.

This isn't a rant against you fem, just a rant I thought of when I read your comment.

Oh no, I totally understand what you mean, I guess I should have said something along the lines of "I wish the gun owners that we hear about in the news..."

In other words, "I wish people who did bad stuff didn't do bad stuff."

Words to live by, my friends.
Image
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

User avatar
Amarantha
Posts: 1638
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:56 am UTC
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: Rant Thread (to balance Awesome Thread)

Postby Amarantha » Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:26 am UTC

I have a headache. And a toothache. And I just spent a fucking fortune onna replacement filling that didn't help the toothache. So it's probably cracked and I'll have to go back to the dentist and have my stupidly expensive filling removed again, for replacement with like a crown or a root canal or whatever the fark they fix cracked teeth with. And be charged several fortunes for the privilege. And I have two weeks to do one anna half assignments and study for an exam. And that's not even me leaving stuff to the last minute; it's the goddamn timetable. And I'm surrounded at work by idiots and arseholes and bureaucratic bullshit (but luckily with a few awesome folks to keep me relatively sane). And I'll probably lose my job within the next two years because they want to outsource most of what I do. And our connection is shaped, so I had to order the pizza by phone because their website is stupid and has flash and unnecessary images, including the entire page background. I feel like getting drnuk, but I have this headache. I've hardly been able to have a drink lately because I feel dehydrated all the time. Even when I drink loads of water. And the damn tremor is back intermittently, even though I'm taking my vitamin D religiously and actually getting some sun and eating proper meals. I'm trying not to think about the upcoming parental-guilt-trip/family-drama potential (various birthdays, Christ-fkn-mas and New Year). Or the other, more personal shit. Bah.

User avatar
olubunmi
Posts: 250
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:17 pm UTC

Re: Rant Thread (to balance Awesome Thread)

Postby olubunmi » Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:30 am UTC

You know it'll be a bad day when you wake up with the sound of your parents shouting at each other.
And now my father has gone somewhere, and my brother took over the shouting.

I love these weekends at home.

User avatar
e^iπ+1=0
Much, much better than Gooder
Posts: 2065
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:41 am UTC
Location: Lancaster

Re: Rant Thread (to balance Awesome Thread)

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:20 am UTC

grumble grumble sleep schedule is messed up grumble grumble
poxic wrote:You, sir, have heroic hair.
poxic wrote:I note that the hair is not slowing down. It appears to have progressed from heroic to rocking.

(Avatar by Sungura)

User avatar
TaintedDeity
Posts: 4002
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:22 pm UTC
Location: England;

Re: Rant Thread (to balance Awesome Thread)

Postby TaintedDeity » Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:06 pm UTC

This weekend my friend came down to see me in Leicester and we were gong to go shopping but instead the city centre has been cordoned off. Trains, buses and roads have been closed, over a thousand police have been drafted in and shops have been closed.
It's not a zombie apocalypse, it's a racist protest suspected to turn violent. Yay.
Ⓞⓞ◯

User avatar
viscusanima
Posts: 352
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:39 am UTC
Location: Cyprus!

Re: Rant Thread (to balance Awesome Thread)

Postby viscusanima » Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:36 pm UTC

I went to help out at a hospice fundraising event today. Some people, ugh.

'Just one coin for the hospice?' 'No.'

Kji
Posts: 11
Joined: Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:50 pm UTC

Re: Rant Thread (to balance Awesome Thread)

Postby Kji » Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:01 pm UTC

Silly little brain. You are perfectly capable of hanging around someone who is handsome, funny, interesting and nice without turning me into a babbeling mess, alright? So stop turning me into a babbeling mess. Do not let yourself be tricked, he's way out of our league and will probably find it quite creepy if someone like me started hitting on him, so keep your libido in check and work with me here, ok? We're cool, calm, collected and have no interest in that guy whatsoever. Absolutely zero interest. Purely platonic. Not even a hug or a kiss on the cheek. You can shake his hand if he offers it, but only if you promise to behave. Cool, calm and collected. Repeat it after me. Cool, calm and collected. They already don't really want you there, so don't make it worse. Please don't make it worse.

I feel like I'm a walking social catastrophy these days. Everything I do turns out wrong, everything I say is the wrong thing to say and everywhere I go is places where I'm not wanted.

User avatar
Ptolom
Posts: 1559
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:55 pm UTC
Location: The entropy pool
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread (to balance Awesome Thread)

Postby Ptolom » Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:07 pm UTC

I was in Leicester too! The road was closed so I couldn't get to Maplin to buy emergency robot parts. It's terrible. The horrific racism also.

User avatar
e^iπ+1=0
Much, much better than Gooder
Posts: 2065
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:41 am UTC
Location: Lancaster

Re: Rant Thread (to balance Awesome Thread)

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:38 am UTC

Gah, I think I'm getting sick
poxic wrote:You, sir, have heroic hair.
poxic wrote:I note that the hair is not slowing down. It appears to have progressed from heroic to rocking.

(Avatar by Sungura)

User avatar
Torvaun
Posts: 2615
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:23 pm UTC
Location: 47°9′S, 126°43′W
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread (to balance Awesome Thread)

Postby Torvaun » Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:10 am UTC

I haven't really trusted gun locks since I started picking locks, and found out that gun locks especially are really quite easy. So instead I remove the firing pin. Works for me, I don't get the chance to go shooting nearly often enough for this to be a major issue.
Hawknc wrote:I don't know if you've never heard of trolling, or if you're just very good at it.

Ubik
Posts: 1016
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:43 pm UTC

Re: Rant Thread (to balance Awesome Thread)

Postby Ubik » Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:42 am UTC

I have a problem with X. I search if others had the same problem, and look, there's a thread "I have a problem with X"! I go see the thread, and the first message matches exactly the situation I'm having. Now, what are the alternatives?

a) It is the only message in the thread. This is annoying.
b) It is not the only message, but there is still no sign to be seen that the problem has been solved. They probably have tried something I already tried, and link to pages that I've already visited. This is annoying too.
c) The OP has posted a single-sentence response: "Nevermind, I got it working." There is however no description how the problem was solved, just that they don't have it anymore. Rage.

User avatar
Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow
Posts: 3808
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:30 pm UTC
Location: Tucson, Arizona

Re: Rant Thread (to balance Awesome Thread)

Postby Giant Speck » Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:50 am UTC

Ubik wrote:I have a problem with X. I search if others had the same problem, and look, there's a thread "I have a problem with X"! I go see the thread, and the first message matches exactly the situation I'm having. Now, what are the alternatives?

a) It is the only message in the thread. This is annoying.
b) It is not the only message, but there is still no sign to be seen that the problem has been solved. They probably have tried something I already tried, and link to pages that I've already visited. This is annoying too.
c) The OP has posted a single-sentence response: "Nevermind, I got it working." There is however no description how the problem was solved, just that they don't have it anymore. Rage.

Those ones piss me off SO FUCKING MUCH.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks

User avatar
meatyochre
Posts: 1524
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:09 am UTC
Location: flying with the Conchords

Re: Rant Thread (to balance Awesome Thread)

Postby meatyochre » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:04 am UTC

Rant: people make money (through books, blogs, and bullshit) by claiming that there is some mystical fundamental universal difference between the way men and women interact with one another (men and women are from other planets). This ideal is then perpetuated by the unenlightened who are using it to fulfill their existing biases about the opposite sex.

Because, heaven forbid advising that every person is different, regardless of what fills out their jockeys.
--
Related article below is so full of smug sexism, it makes me want to punch a hole in my pillow. I mean... it's at least well-intentioned. But I think I honestly hate well-intended sexism most of all because it's harder to criticize than someone who is not only clueless, but mean about it. It's insulting to both women AND MEN! Whoever decided people who publish this shit should get paid for it deserves a serious smackdown.

http://manofthehouse.com/relationships/ ... d-Outbrain

Insipid stupid image of it:

Spoiler:
Image
Dark567 wrote:"Hey, I created a perpetual motion device"

"yeah, but your poster sucks. F-"

Image

User avatar
RetSpline
Posts: 607
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:38 pm UTC
Location: Íæû

Re: Rant Thread (to balance Awesome Thread)

Postby RetSpline » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:08 am UTC

Gah, just sneezed super hard and got whiplash. What the FUCK? :x Ow...

User avatar
torontoraptor
Posts: 442
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:58 pm UTC

Re: Rant Thread (to balance Awesome Thread)

Postby torontoraptor » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:10 am UTC

And now she wants a relationship. FUCK. The sex was really good, but I can't see myself actually being in a relationship with her, and now I'm going to have to be all awkward and tell her that.

The most annoying part is that this didn't have to happen. She asked what I wanted this to be, I could have easily said I wasn't ready for a relationship then, but I'm so goddamned used to girls not being at all interested in me that I find it almost impossible to say no when a girl says she likes me. On the bright side, maybe this will give me the confidence that I'll be able to ask out that one girl I actually do have a crush on, because if I could see myself in a relationship with anyone, it would be her. WHY DOES LIFE HAVE TO BE SO COMPLICATED! All I want is to play video games, drink beer, and learn about computers.
Promicin wrote:Now if I can just grab on with my tongue-like foot... wait. I am not a mussel.

pseudoidiot wrote:
You, sir, name? wrote:fucking owls is enjoyable.
Someone should sig this

User avatar
meatyochre
Posts: 1524
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:09 am UTC
Location: flying with the Conchords

Re: Rant Thread (to balance Awesome Thread)

Postby meatyochre » Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:12 am UTC

torontoraptor wrote:And now she wants a relationship. FUCK. The sex was really good, but I can't see myself actually being in a relationship with her, and now I'm going to have to be all awkward and tell her that.

The most annoying part is that this didn't have to happen. She asked what I wanted this to be, I could have easily said I wasn't ready for a relationship then, but I'm so goddamned used to girls not being at all interested in me that I find it almost impossible to say no when a girl says she likes me. On the bright side, maybe this will give me the confidence that I'll be able to ask out that one girl I actually do have a crush on, because if I could see myself in a relationship with anyone, it would be her. WHY DOES LIFE HAVE TO BE SO COMPLICATED! All I want is to play video games, drink beer, and learn about computers.

As Bret says on Flight of the Conchords, a kiss is not a contract. But it's very very nice.

You want to make sure you aren't leading anyone on, of course, but beyond that you definitely don't have any obligation to like or love someone just because you tangled horizontally.

(not sure if you were looking for advice or not, but sometimes validation can be helpful!)
Dark567 wrote:"Hey, I created a perpetual motion device"

"yeah, but your poster sucks. F-"

Image

User avatar
Nemphael
Posts: 422
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:44 pm UTC

Re: Rant Thread (to balance Awesome Thread)

Postby Nemphael » Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:58 pm UTC

Meh, so I feel like ranting.

How are you supposed to react when a friend says, "I broke up with my girlfriend"? Something along the lines of "Aw, man, that's too bad"?

How about when your friend says, "My girlfriend cheated on me"?

Like, your friend is probably quite upset and hurt. And if he's told you he may have depression... yeah.

Well, my friend took another approach. "People whine to me all the time, I'm tired of it. You're stupid, she didn't cheat on you that badly. See, when my ex cheated on me it was so much worse! Now, please fuck off before I say something mean." And no, I'm not exaggerating. Except for the "fuck off", but she could have said it and things wouldn't have been different.
Last edited by Nemphael on Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:17 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Kewangji
Has Been Touched
Posts: 2245
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:20 pm UTC
Location: Lost in Translation
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread (to balance Awesome Thread)

Postby Kewangji » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:03 pm UTC

I tell you we don't hang out anymore, never talk, and honestly you've been a bad friend. (though not that bluntly). You agree, and stop talking.

Ugh. Are you that inept all of a sudden, or do you just not like me any more, because you have a boyfriend? (Someone who I get along perfectly with, might I add). Love is just a word, you have to show it ._.' (for example, by actually wanting to talk/hang out with me).


@Nemphael: *hugs* if you want them. That's a terrible thing of a friend to say. I hope she apologizes.
If you like my words sign up for my newsletter, Airport Tattoo Parlour: https://tinyletter.com/distantstations

The Great Hippo wrote:Nuclear bombs are like potato chips, you can't stop after just *one*

User avatar
meatyochre
Posts: 1524
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:09 am UTC
Location: flying with the Conchords

Re: Rant Thread (to balance Awesome Thread)

Postby meatyochre » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:14 pm UTC

Nemphael wrote:Meh, so I feel like ranting.

How are you supposed to react when a friend says, "I broke up with my girlfriend"? Something along the lines of "Aw, man, that's too bad"?

How about when your friend says, "My girlfriend cheated on me"?

Like, your friend is probably quite upset and hurt. And if he's told you he may have depression... yeah.

Well, my friend took another approach. "People whine to me all the time, I'm tired of it. You're stupid, she didn't cheat on you {i]that badly[/i]. See, when my ex cheated on me it was so much worse! Now, please fuck off before I say something mean." And no, I'm not exaggerating. Except for the "fuck off", but she could have said it and things wouldn't have been different.

This attitude would be enough for me to consider ending a friendship pretty abruptly. It's not acceptable to engage in one-up-manship (or down-manship maybe, in this case) of your friends when they've just been CHEATED ON. I am a bit outraged here :evil:

I am very sorry you were cheated on. Nobody deserves to be lied to.
Dark567 wrote:"Hey, I created a perpetual motion device"

"yeah, but your poster sucks. F-"

Image

User avatar
Magnanimous
Madmanananimous
Posts: 3486
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:11 pm UTC
Location: Land of Hipsters and Rain (LOHAR)

Re: Rant Thread (to balance Awesome Thread)

Postby Magnanimous » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:18 pm UTC

Giant Speck wrote:
Ubik wrote:I have a problem with X. I search if others had the same problem, and look, there's a thread "I have a problem with X"! I go see the thread, and the first message matches exactly the situation I'm having. Now, what are the alternatives?

a) It is the only message in the thread. This is annoying.
b) It is not the only message, but there is still no sign to be seen that the problem has been solved. They probably have tried something I already tried, and link to pages that I've already visited. This is annoying too.
c) The OP has posted a single-sentence response: "Nevermind, I got it working." There is however no description how the problem was solved, just that they don't have it anymore. Rage.

Those ones piss me off SO FUCKING MUCH.

User avatar
Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs
Posts: 6232
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:55 am UTC
Location: Colorado

Re: Rant Thread (to balance Awesome Thread)

Postby Thesh » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:43 pm UTC

I agree. A question without an answer is like a statement without
Summum ius, summa iniuria.

User avatar
meatyochre
Posts: 1524
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:09 am UTC
Location: flying with the Conchords

Re: Rant Thread (to balance Awesome Thread)

Postby meatyochre » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:44 pm UTC

That's not funny, you shouldn't tease people like
Dark567 wrote:"Hey, I created a perpetual motion device"

"yeah, but your poster sucks. F-"

Image

User avatar
Kewangji
Has Been Touched
Posts: 2245
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:20 pm UTC
Location: Lost in Translation
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread (to balance Awesome Thread)

Postby Kewangji » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:54 pm UTC

meatyochre wrote:That's not funny, you shouldn't tease people like

I thought it was pretty funny, but then maybe
If you like my words sign up for my newsletter, Airport Tattoo Parlour: https://tinyletter.com/distantstations

The Great Hippo wrote:Nuclear bombs are like potato chips, you can't stop after just *one*

User avatar
grythyttan
Posts: 466
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2007 1:46 pm UTC
Location: Hncwhxagykozzqlif azefkbtvw. Kjkd sb, ypwyw eg tdpm.
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread (to balance Awesome Thread)

Postby grythyttan » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:57 pm UTC

What happened, was someone careless and mentioned candleja

User avatar
Zarq
Posts: 1993
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:29 pm UTC
Location: Third Rock from Earth's Yellow Sun

Re: Rant Thread (to balance Awesome Thread)

Postby Zarq » Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:00 pm UTC

grythyttan wrote:What happened, was someone careless and mentioned candleja


Dude, you have to type "candlejack" comple
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit

User avatar
The Scyphozoa
Posts: 2871
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:33 pm UTC
Location: Sector 5

Re: Rant Thread (to balance Awesome Thread)

Postby The Scyphozoa » Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:01 pm UTC

Actually that just happened in the awesome thr
Image
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

User avatar
Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow
Posts: 3808
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:30 pm UTC
Location: Tucson, Arizona

Re: Rant Thread (to balance Awesome Thread)

Postby Giant Speck » Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:02 pm UTC

I don't have a short attention span; I just
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks

User avatar
bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title
Posts: 7461
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:29 pm UTC
Location: Airstrip One

Re: Rant Thread (to balance Awesome Thread)

Postby bigglesworth » Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:05 pm UTC

Rant: I dislike it when people don't write in full sentences.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

User avatar
Kewangji
Has Been Touched
Posts: 2245
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:20 pm UTC
Location: Lost in Translation
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread (to balance Awesome Thread)

Postby Kewangji » Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:13 pm UTC

bigglesworth wrote:Rant: I dislike it when people don't write in full sentences.

Boy, you must really have hated the last few posts in here, then!
If you like my words sign up for my newsletter, Airport Tattoo Parlour: https://tinyletter.com/distantstations

The Great Hippo wrote:Nuclear bombs are like potato chips, you can't stop after just *one*

User avatar
e^iπ+1=0
Much, much better than Gooder
Posts: 2065
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:41 am UTC
Location: Lancaster

Re: Rant Thread (to balance Awesome Thread)

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:20 pm UTC

I had a huge ass-glass of coke sitting here a few minutes ago. I went and did something, came back, it disappeared! Seriously, it's just not anywhere! Didn't get put in the sink, isn't on any counter or table or anything, doesn't appear to be anywhere I could have put it or even any place I couldn't have. WTF?

Edit: Went to get myself a new glass of coke... my dad put it in the fridge. Really though, who puts drinks in the fridge? :lol:
poxic wrote:You, sir, have heroic hair.
poxic wrote:I note that the hair is not slowing down. It appears to have progressed from heroic to rocking.

(Avatar by Sungura)

User avatar
SummerGlauFan
Posts: 1746
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:27 pm UTC
Location: KS

Re: Rant Thread (to balance Awesome Thread)

Postby SummerGlauFan » Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:09 pm UTC

TaintedDeity wrote:It's not a zombie apocalypse, it's a racist protest suspected to turn violent. Yay.


That's got to be disappointing.
glasnt wrote:"As she raised her rifle against the creature, her hair fluttered beneath the red florescent lighting of the locked down building.

I knew from that moment that she was something special"


Outbreak, a tale of love and zombies.

In stores now.

User avatar
NecklaceOfShadow
Posts: 775
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 7:40 pm UTC
Location: In the alchemical aether
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread (to balance Awesome Thread)

Postby NecklaceOfShadow » Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:22 am UTC

NecklaceOfShadow wrote:
meatyochre wrote:
NecklaceOfShadow wrote:*sigh*

Every time I hear my friend complain about the vulgar language people use around her, I want to go and launch into a tirade of cursing and innuendo. My self-moderation is starting to lose to my anger to her stupid passive-aggressive tactics.

Maybe you could memorize a tirade composed entirely of non-vulgar words that still manages to be incredibly insulting (or just type it on facebook). I used this method to great effect when my prudish aunt claimed that the only people who "resort" to cussing are of low intellect. Something like (just pulling SAT words out of my ass/google):

I consider your puerile aversion to vulgarity prohibitively tiresome. Peradventure you will ultimately surmount your sophomoric ways; meanwhile, might I propound the termination of our heretofore affability? Vulgarity is a commodious method of expression when one finds oneself choleric, peevish, and/or irascible.

I pray this vitriolic acerbity finds you bellicose. May a propitious bludgeon penetrate your posterior.

I'm afraid I went a different path.

On the daily check-if-drama-coordinator-has-sent-messages-on-Facebook run, I passed by her complaints once more, now with a plea for people to validate the reasons they have for swearing.

It turns out that after 10 minutes of reading How Stuff Works and Wikipedia, one can make a pretty good argument.

Catharsis = <3

Now... to work. //_>


It turns out that now someone with some pretensions of sense has come into the fray. It's a lot more annoying to argue against someone who actually thinks they have a valid point and will use pseudo-intellectual anti-intellectualism to bring your points down.
Significantly less weird than I used to be. Still pretty weird.

οὗτός ἐστιν Ἀγαμέμνων, ἐμὸς
πόσις, νεκρὸς δὲ τῆσδε δεξιᾶς χερός
ἔργον δικαίας τέκτονος. τάδ’ ὧδ’ ἔχει.

User avatar
GraphiteGirl
Alpha Male
Posts: 1531
Joined: Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:45 pm UTC
Location: South-East Snakeville

Re: Rant Thread (to balance Awesome Thread)

Postby GraphiteGirl » Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:22 am UTC

Nemphael wrote:Meh, so I feel like ranting.

How are you supposed to react when a friend says, "I broke up with my girlfriend"? Something along the lines of "Aw, man, that's too bad"?

How about when your friend says, "My girlfriend cheated on me"?

Like, your friend is probably quite upset and hurt. And if he's told you he may have depression... yeah.

Well, my friend took another approach. "People whine to me all the time, I'm tired of it. You're stupid, she didn't cheat on you that badly. See, when my ex cheated on me it was so much worse! Now, please fuck off before I say something mean." And no, I'm not exaggerating. Except for the "fuck off", but she could have said it and things wouldn't have been different.

Unless they were having a truly, completely, exceptionally horrible day and would never do that normally, that there ain't no friend.
Sandry wrote:Man, my commitment to sparkle motion is waaaaay lower than you are intimating.

User avatar
Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow
Posts: 3808
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:30 pm UTC
Location: Tucson, Arizona

Re: Rant Thread (to balance Awesome Thread)

Postby Giant Speck » Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:42 am UTC

Rant: I still don't have a car.

w00t: I saved myself from potentially making a horrible, horrible car-buying mistake.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks

User avatar
kellsbells
Queen of Cupcakes
Posts: 1166
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:26 pm UTC
Location: The Land Beyond Beyond (Seattle)
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread (to balance Awesome Thread)

Postby kellsbells » Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:40 am UTC

Goddamnit I knew that googling to further understand what my doctor was mentioning as possibilities was a bad idea. Now I'm worried about my health more than is probably necessary, but after telling me I might have a brain tumor I think I'm not too far off base to get concerned. ARGH BODY JUST WORK RIGHT.
A good pun is its own reword.
L wrote:A day without kells is a day not worth living.

User avatar
bentheimmigrant
Dotcor Good Poster
Posts: 1363
Joined: Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:01 pm UTC
Location: UK

Re: Rant Thread (to balance Awesome Thread)

Postby bentheimmigrant » Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:22 pm UTC

So I requested more file space from the university, and they got back to me by pointing out that there were a number of files I could delete from my PERSONAL storage space, and made some suggestions. GGGGAahhh. It leaves me unable to formulate sentences which express my rage over the invasion of privacy involved in them checking out my personal file space. It is unacceptable.
"Comment is free, but facts are sacred" - C.P. Scott


Return to “General”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 27 guests