Hype your ripe snipes 'n' gripes

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

OBrien

Re: Rant Thread (to balance Awesome Thread)

Postby OBrien » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:14 am UTC

Jumble wrote:- why can't we tell the banks to give us our money back?
- what's the uk economy for these days? We are never again going to be a manufacturing nation, we are demoting ourselves from 2nd league to 3rd league on the world military & political stage, so what are we good at? Whatever it is we need to be clear about it and stick to it.
- what are the lib-dems for? What do they stand for? Oh, yeah. I get it. Nothing.

- Because the Tories want, and always have been quite open about wanting, to be "less harsh" on taxing the rich.
- Buisiness and intelectual persuits. This is why the Tories don't want to ask the banks for that money back, handily ignoring the fact that capping bonuses means more money goes to the business.
- The Lib Dem backbenchers play a vital part in stopping this fucking ridiculous Browne review going through. But yeah, Nick Clegg is a wanker who droopped all of his principals as soon as he saw a sho at getting into the cabinet.
Spelling and grammar can go screw themselves.

Kang

Postby Kang » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:00 am UTC

'; DROP DATABASE;-- wrote:Oh my god my school's IT staff and Google's UI team are both a bunch of boobs.
Last year I found my PSP couldn't connect to the school's wifi. This is because they have a "Cisco Clean Access" system, which is utter garbage, that requires you to go through an authentication page the first time you connect. The problem? The page uses an invalid SSL certificate, so none of the PSP browsers will load it.
Laptops and iJunk don't seem to care, so they don't consider it broken. I got around this before by spoofing the MAC address with my laptop, going through the page (which has to be done every month or so), and then using the PSP just fine.
There's not even a point to using SSL here, since no personal information is being transmitted - it's literally one page with an "agree" button.

Is that a general trend everywhere? My high school had completely faulty certificates and expected everyone to 'just accept them anway, they are fine', my university has bad certificates and their IT told me to 'not worry about that and just accept it'... does any educational facility in the world have proper certificates?

Jumble wrote:- what's the uk economy for these days? We are never again going to be a manufacturing nation, we are demoting ourselves from 2nd league to 3rd league on the world military & political stage, so what are we good at? Whatever it is we need to be clear about it and stick to it.

As far as I know Britain still is quite impressive on science and technology. Maybe not as obviously impressive as it once was, but there's still a lot going on.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:43 am UTC

Kang wrote:As far as I know Britain still is quite impressive on science and technology.

timbernerslee.PNG
timbernerslee.PNG (64.75 KiB) Viewed 3742 times
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

doogly
Dr. The Juggernaut of Touching Himself

Postby doogly » Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:18 pm UTC

Kang wrote:As far as I know Britain still is quite impressive on science and technology. Maybe not as obviously impressive as it once was, but there's still a lot going on.

hahahahaha note the planned budget cuts. not bloody likely to keep more than a sliver of success up with those. see http://scienceisvital.org.uk/.
LE4dGOLEM: What's a Doug?
Noc: A larval Doogly. They grow the tail and stinger upon reaching adulthood.

Keep waggling your butt brows Brothers.
Or; Is that your eye butthairs?

bentheimmigrant
Dotcor Good Poster

Postby bentheimmigrant » Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:20 pm UTC

I wish you wouldn't scoff at our country's future.
"Comment is free, but facts are sacred" - C.P. Scott

OBrien

Postby OBrien » Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:24 pm UTC

He does have a point though. Especially if Browne gets his way.
(No I will not stop mentioning this. I hate that man and I hate his policies)
EDIT: For Americans and out-of-the-loop Brits: Lord Browne /= Gordon Brown, who I actualy quite like.

doogly

Postby doogly » Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:49 pm UTC

bentheimmigrant wrote:I wish you wouldn't scoff at our country's future.

i wish your country wouldn't turn its back on a few centuries of brilliant scientific leadership. and i was amused that kang hung his hopes for UK excellence on scientific and technical excellence at a time when they are in particularly critical need of support, lest they be snuffed out.
also, i'd like them to have enough funding for me to consider doing a post doc there.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:07 pm UTC

STOP TAKING OVER MY JOB.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

bentheimmigrant
Dotcor Good Poster

Postby bentheimmigrant » Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:28 pm UTC

doogly wrote:i wish your country wouldn't turn its back on a few centuries of brilliant scientific leadership. and i was amused that kang hung his hopes for UK excellence on scientific and technical excellence at a time when they are in particularly critical need of support, lest they be snuffed out.
also, i'd like them to have enough funding for me to consider doing a post doc there.

Me too. :(
At least my PhD funding is ring-fenced. At least, I hope it is.

doogly

Postby doogly » Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:32 pm UTC

yeah, they seem to do this thing in the US too, where they love funding phd's so much more than postdocs. this way we can have gladiator battles for amusement of the ancient emeriti.

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:34 pm UTC

Stupid, stupid...stupid-stupid. Stupid...stupid stupid.

//sigh//

Stupid.
- Ochigo the Earth-Stomper

The EGE wrote:
Mumpy wrote:And to this day, librarians revile Oregonaut as the Antichrist.

False! We sacrifice our card catalogues to him in the name of Job Security!

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:38 pm UTC

Oregonaut wrote:Stupid, stupid...stupid-stupid. Stupid...stupid stupid.

//sigh//

Stupid.

*nods sagely*
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:44 pm UTC

Kang wrote:Is that a general trend everywhere? My high school had completely faulty certificates and expected everyone to 'just accept them anway, they are fine', my university has bad certificates and their IT told me to 'not worry about that and just accept it'... does any educational facility in the world have proper certificates?
Well, not everywhere... I'm pretty sure the certificate on the registration page for my Uni's network was fine. Hell, they would even add your devices (such as my 360) if you e-mailed them the MAC address.

Though they could be in the minority on that... :P

bentheimmigrant
Dotcor Good Poster

Postby bentheimmigrant » Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:53 pm UTC

doogly wrote:yeah, they seem to do this thing in the US too, where they love funding phd's so much more than postdocs. this way we can have gladiator battles for amusement of the ancient emeriti.

I'm not far enough along to be looking for postdoc ads, but I get enough in mass emails from academics to think that postdoc positions haven't been in too short supply. I try not to think too much about how the landscape will look when I finish. On the bright side, Browne recommends all funding be concentrated on STEM, so, yay me, I guess.

OBrien

Postby OBrien » Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:58 pm UTC

Xeio wrote:
Kang wrote:Is that a general trend everywhere? My high school had completely faulty certificates and expected everyone to 'just accept them anway, they are fine', my university has bad certificates and their IT told me to 'not worry about that and just accept it'... does any educational facility in the world have proper certificates?
Well, not everywhere... I'm pretty sure the certificate on the registration page for my Uni's network was fine. Hell, they would even add your devices (such as my 360) if you e-mailed them the MAC address.

Though they could be in the minority on that... :P

My uni's good too: You use thier WEP key, then do some kerfuffle with a personal logon thing (which is your uni ID number) then you're on.

EDIT: Also, they won't let you on unless you have a firewall (Windows firewall not included) and they advise you to see the IT helpdesk where they'll install a copy of Zone Alarm for you, which I think is good.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:35 pm UTC

My computer can't run Black Ops. Sad face.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:00 pm UTC

I attempted just now to articulate to you why it is not a good idea to leave open your curtains in the morning from 0715 to 1130. Our building is East facing, and there is nothing between us and the rising sun but the occasional stray reindeer. We are on a hill. Actually, in Portland, we are on THE hill. This hill places us in such a position that we get FULL SUN, not even joking here. And doctors, nurses, staff, anyone who wants to walk in the hall leading up to your desk, is blind from the moment they open the hall door. But because you "enjoy a little light", you choose to leave your curtains open and blind 100 other people for no other purpose than your own selfish needs.

Now I'm going to talk to your supervisor. I'm going to have hard curtains installed. I'm going to say that it is due to the number of migraine sufferers we have, which is all documented.

I'm removing your choice, because you refused to allow three hours of relief for the next two months while we are at this relative inclination.

The EGE wrote:

bentheimmigrant
Dotcor Good Poster

Postby bentheimmigrant » Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:12 pm UTC

Adobe/Printer!!!! I don't even know which of you to yell at! Why on God's green earth would you think I would ever EVER want to print multiple pages right to left? Why? It makes no sense whatsoever. Perhaps an option to do that, should the mood take. But it doesn't and none of the options make a blind bit of difference! Do you have any idea how odd it is to try and read the page on the right and then move leftwards? Well let me tell you. It is odd. Perhaps I should give up trying to save paper.

Advice is very much appreciated, in the event that anyone has encountered such a problem in the past. However, I am about to leave this computer until tomorrow, so apologies if I don't respond promptly.

Microscopic cog
in his catastrophic plan

Postby Microscopic cog » Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:17 pm UTC

Hope this will make you feel better: http://theoatmeal.com/comics/printers
Spoiler:
Interviewer: Some people say they can’t understand your writing even after they read it two or three times. What approach would you suggest for them?

William Faulkner: Read it four times.

torontoraptor

Postby torontoraptor » Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:35 pm UTC

bentheimmigrant wrote:Adobe/Printer!!!! I don't even know which of you to yell at! Why on God's green earth would you think I would ever EVER want to print multiple pages right to left? Why? It makes no sense whatsoever. Perhaps an option to do that, should the mood take. But it doesn't and none of the options make a blind bit of difference! Do you have any idea how odd it is to try and read the page on the right and then move leftwards? Well let me tell you. It is odd. Perhaps I should give up trying to save paper.

Advice is very much appreciated, in the event that anyone has encountered such a problem in the past. However, I am about to leave this computer until tomorrow, so apologies if I don't respond promptly.

Mine did that for a large batch of notes (60 odd pages in powerpoint), and I didn't notice until I started trying to use them, and then my eyes starting crossing :evil:
Promicin wrote:Now if I can just grab on with my tongue-like foot... wait. I am not a mussel.

pseudoidiot wrote:
You, sir, name? wrote:fucking owls is enjoyable.
Someone should sig this

Armadillo Al

Postby Armadillo Al » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:42 pm UTC

At least your country has (had?) a future.
Compiling.. wrote:xkcd... where EVERYONE loves EVERYONE...

meatyochre

Postby meatyochre » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:03 pm UTC

everyone calling me: stop being crazy! it's not even a full moon, what is yall's excuse!?
Dark567 wrote:"Hey, I created a perpetual motion device"

"yeah, but your poster sucks. F-"

SummerGlauFan

Postby SummerGlauFan » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:34 pm UTC

meatyochre wrote:everyone calling me: stop being crazy! it's not even a full moon, what is yall's excuse!?

I'm crazy 24/7.

*CRAZY*

On a not-related note:

Dear my coworkers:

If a kid left a really cool toy at our workplace, and I wish to bequeath said toy to a little cousin (giving a reasonable amount of time for the parents to figure out they left it there and come back to claim it; say a week), that does not make me a "weirdo" as my manager so eloquently put it.
glasnt wrote:"As she raised her rifle against the creature, her hair fluttered beneath the red florescent lighting of the locked down building.

I knew from that moment that she was something special"

Outbreak, a tale of love and zombies.

In stores now.

Nemphael

Postby Nemphael » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:47 pm UTC

Dear mouth: You apparently have a lot of problems, what with the cold sore and paper cut, but try to keep that one wisdom toot under control. It's chewing up our skin and it's painful and I 'm afraid of getting an infection.

Jumble

Postby Jumble » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:45 pm UTC

Armadillo Al wrote:

At least your country has (had?) a future.

'Has' until 12.30 today. Now 'had'.

Sorry. Looks like I started something.
OBrien wrote:- Buisiness and intelectual persuits. This is why the Tories don't want to ask the banks for that money back, handily ignoring the fact that capping bonuses means more money goes to the business.

For what it's worth, I partly agree with this. The UK can still punch above it's weight in science, innovation and intellectual property. I think this is where we need to focus, but we need to become much smarter in ensuring we profit from the innovation we launch. There are too many technologies that were launched in the uk but bring no benefit to our economy because all ownership of the ipr has moved abroad. However, I'm not sure there is much future in business (certainly as in finance, banking etc.). Sure, some companies like to be based in the city of London but we can't benefit from them or profit from their use of our reputation because this is now an international business. Bankers are now like locusts. They will use what local resources they can and move on. I don't see we stand to gain by their presence.
doogly wrote:

i wish your country wouldn't turn its back on a few centuries of brilliant scientific leadership. and i was amused that kang hung his hopes for UK excellence on scientific and technical excellence at a time when they are in particularly critical need of support, lest they be snuffed out.

I think you'd better check out our shiny new immigration rules. As I understand it post-docs don't earn enough to qualify on the Tories new points based racism immigration rule.
OBrien wrote:- The Lib Dem backbenchers play a vital part in stopping this fucking ridiculous Browne review going through. But yeah, Nick Clegg is a wanker who droopped all of his principals as soon as he saw a sho at getting into the cabinet.

I'd go with this. I come from a county which is 90% lib dem. My best mates cousin is a local lib dem mp. Problem is, I have not been deafened by the lib dems demanding that they stick to their principles (& manifesto) or they'll vote against. In fact, I'm not aware that any lib dem mp has yet rebelled. I could be wrong.
Spoiler:
Giant Speck wrote:You're a demon! DEMON!!!!

Oregonaut wrote:CURSE YOU VILLAIN!!
PhoenixEnigma wrote:Jumble is either the best or worst Santa ever, and I can't figure out which. Possibly both.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:31 am UTC

Nemphael wrote:keep that one wisdom toot under control.

*childish snigger*
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

bentheimmigrant
Dotcor Good Poster

Postby bentheimmigrant » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:44 pm UTC

Microscopic cog wrote:Hope this will make you feel better: http://theoatmeal.com/comics/printers

Actually, that did make me feel better. Thanks.

femtometer

Postby femtometer » Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:07 pm UTC

Chimpanzees are not monkeys.

Orangutans are not gorillas.

Microscopic cog
in his catastrophic plan

Postby Microscopic cog » Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:28 pm UTC

bentheimmigrant wrote:
Microscopic cog wrote:Hope this will make you feel better: http://theoatmeal.com/comics/printers

Actually, that did make me feel better. Thanks.

The Oatmeal always makes me feel better. (:
Spoiler:
Interviewer: Some people say they can’t understand your writing even after they read it two or three times. What approach would you suggest for them?

William Faulkner: Read it four times.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:20 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:*nods sagely*

Nemphael wrote:wisdom toot

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:24 pm UTC

femtometer wrote:Chimpanzees are not monkeys.

Oregonauts are not gorillas.

I swear that's what I read.

The EGE wrote:

femtometer

Postby femtometer » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:50 pm UTC

Oregonaut wrote:
femtometer wrote:Chimpanzees are not monkeys.

Oregonauts are not gorillas.

I swear that's what I read.
Well, I could say that too, if you'd like. So long as it's true, that is.

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:58 pm UTC

I am indeed, not a gorilla.

In fact, I'm certain that you would be hard pressed to find 12 people who believe I am even human.

Most people believe I'm some kind of maleficent being (adj. not Disney evil-lady) bent on global domination.

Sort of like Captain Planet meets Mephisto.

I'm done now.

The EGE wrote:

Kang

Postby Kang » Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:22 pm UTC

Rant: that jsMath thing. On IE it takes ages to load any page containing it and Firefox just kicks the bucket completely for me.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:30 pm UTC

Google Chrome. It doesn't like jsMath, but it hasn't frozen as much as the other browsers have in its malevolent presence.

@Oregonaut: But I always imagined you with green skin, purple cloak, and horns.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:44 pm UTC

Yes, I did not shave today. Congratulations, your powers of observation are nigh on omniscience. Tell me this, do I look "bad"? Do I look unprofessional? Do I look like a shit has been given, or is in the process of being given?

No.

When I rock the scruff, I rock the scruff right. It is even, it is not a "neck-beard", it does not look like some forsaken wilderness in the middle of the Amazon basin, no no, my friend. It looks like I have an anime-perfect crimson shadow across my face. If you rub it, it feels like a cross between velvet and sandpaper. Yeah, red hair feels weird when it is short. Don't ask me, I'm not a fucking scientist. I am not a doctor. In fact, jerky, you are the doctor. You are the keen scientific mind here. You hold two degrees that earn you the titles Doctor and Professor, and yet for some insane reason you insist on saying, "I don't think you shaved today!" Holy. Fucking. Shit.

Let's stop the presses. You want me to send out an E-Post on this? I'll inform the entire hospital, nay, the entire VISN that I chose not to shave today. Tell me this, Sirrah, please tell me this, are we in a situation where I will have to don a gas mask which creates a proper seal around my chin? No? Then I'll give you three guesses as to how much I care about my unshorn status. To make this challenging, your first two won't count.

Go on braniac. I'll wait.

The EGE wrote:

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:47 pm UTC

I do love your rants about work. They make me happy.

They don't actually help me with the hell that is my job, but still happy is better than nothing.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:57 pm UTC

Well, I'm glad someone is gaining something from them other than myself. It is cathartic to post rants here, as long as people don't jump me for my rants. If I amuse people, then all the better.

The EGE wrote:

NecklaceOfShadow

Postby NecklaceOfShadow » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:25 pm UTC

Dan Savage, you thoughtless douche!

HUFSBJNFouhajnfLSABGHJwoKNJUHKHOUb HObhndjfhoub~~~~~~~~~!!!!!
Significantly less weird than I used to be. Still pretty weird.

οὗτός ἐστιν Ἀγαμέμνων, ἐμὸς
πόσις, νεκρὸς δὲ τῆσδε δεξιᾶς χερός
ἔργον δικαίας τέκτονος. τάδ’ ὧδ’ ἔχει.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:41 pm UTC

Aww fuck, what'd he say this time...

Sometimes, I really wish that people who are supposed to be allies wouldn't fuck up so much...
yeah, that's more broad then it should be. I just hate when people like dan savage do something good, then fuck it up by saying or doing something completely stupid and ignorant.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

Return to “General”