Hype your ripe snipes 'n' gripes

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Oregonaut

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Oregonaut » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:03 pm UTC

Hello Left Pinky Nail. We meet again. I see you have managed to get tangled in my jeans pocket. Again. You do realize that your misadventures do more than make you look unattractive, yes? They actually cause me physical pain. Pain, I would prefer to avoid. So if you could stop being such a slacker, and absorb some of the calcium like the rest of my nails, I would appreciate it. Thank you.
- Ochigo the Earth-Stomper

The EGE wrote:
Mumpy wrote:And to this day, librarians revile Oregonaut as the Antichrist.

False! We sacrifice our card catalogues to him in the name of Job Security!

dubsola

Postby dubsola » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:07 pm UTC

podbaydoor wrote:I tried, I said all my bills are due around this time (true) and I don't have any excess cash. His response was "how much can you afford?"

I hinted at that, I said we weren't really close friends and he said "you'd be willing to give if it was in your heart. Besides, I'll pay you back."

Dammit, I think I'm just going to have to turn him down bluntly.

He's obviously willing to be blunt. Personally I'd de-friend him. But, like Sandry, this still smells of scammery to me. Whoever hacked his account might have been able to work out what happened between you based on what they found in his inbox etc.

emceng

Postby emceng » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:09 pm UTC

Link wrote:
nehpest wrote:Alas, no. School policies about fairness and so forth.
Does that policy roughly equate to "fairness is the Enemy"? Because there is absolutely nothing fair about giving students low marks for reasons beyond their control.

It's policies like those that make me hate school with a passion more fiery than the Devil's rectum after he binges on Naga Jolokia.

Have you talked to the professor? Ask about extra credit or some such. College profs aren't usually big on things like that, but if it is a small class and major, or you have a forgiving prof, it might fly - especially since you can point out how well you have done so far.

I do remember a friend's story about a test one day. It was a senior level engineering class that had grad students in it. Class finished, prof called for tests to be turned in. One grad student kept going. Second call for papers. Still working. Third and final call for papers, while students for the next class were filing in. Still working. The professor then gathered his things and walked out.

Also, mini-rant. I bought a laptop for my sister for Christmas. Set it up last night, and was planning on dumping a bunch of my music on there for her. Set it up, hook in to my network, sweet! I can get to the internet, but can't see the other machines on there, so can't transfer files. Freaking networking, why do you have to be so complicated?
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

Hammer
Because all of you look like nails.

Postby Hammer » Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:58 pm UTC

podbaydoor wrote:I know it was him because he asked me in a Facebook chat and we conversed back and forth about it.
Oregonaut wrote:"I'm strapped for cash myself, and I'm sorry that this happened to you, but I can't give you any help."

I tried, I said all my bills are due around this time (true) and I don't have any excess cash. His response was "how much can you afford?"

At this point I logged out.

I've had exactly that happen. It's very unlikely that it is actually your friend. It's a common Facebook scam that a number of people are reporting and that I've encountered myself. They get on chat with you and try to get you to send them money by pretending to be the person whose account they've hacked.
"What's wrong with you mathematicians? Cake is never a problem."

Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.

Postby Yakk » Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:41 pm UTC

podbaydoor wrote:Now he pops up on Facebook with a story about being mugged at gun point while travelling through the UK and needing money to get back home again.
[SNIP]
The problem here is figuring out a way to turn him down gracefully when turning him down, period, will probably cause him to think I'm a bitch and so on and so forth. Advice, fora?

Two things I thought of immediately:

Drug addiction+poverty (when your brain reward system has been torn apart and rebuilt centered around getting just a bit more money to get another dose, you can start doing anything for it...).

Facebook hacked (why not ask everyone for money?)

In both of those cases, expect that the person on the other end not to get any hints.
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

Last edited by JHVH on Fri Oct 23, 4004 BCE 6:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:42 pm UTC

Oh man I didn't even think of facebook being hacked. Good call guys.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

felltir
has a sniper scope and a trigger finger.

Postby felltir » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:18 pm UTC

I've seen that scam, but it was on the account of a guy who is 1) a grammar freak and 2) rich as fuck. So obvious scam was obvious.
Spoiler:
RoadieRich wrote:He's a super flexible furry martial artist from London. She is a Rabbit breeding mad scientist from Michigan. They fight crime!
The Great Hippo wrote:I THINK THE SOLAR SYSTEM MIGHT BE AN ATOM OF OXYGEN.

Blog

he/him/his

philsov
Not a fan of Diane Kruger

Postby philsov » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:43 pm UTC

I know youtube comments in general are about inane as they come, but what's with the trend of insulting all XXX who disliked the video in some unfunny blanket statement?
The time and seasons go on, but all the rhymes and reasons are wrong
I know I'll discover after its all said and done I should've been a nun.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:44 pm UTC

He hasn't contacted me since, so I'm beginning to think it was a hack or a scam. Thanks, fora!
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

Levi

Postby Levi » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:33 pm UTC

WTF, surge protector? How did you manage to explode a capacitor without breaking the fuse?

PhoenixEnigma

Postby PhoenixEnigma » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:41 pm UTC

Listen, magical DRM faeries: Fuck. You.

I own a copy of The Muppet Christmas Carol on DVD. In my opinion, this is one of the best Christmas movies around, and an absolutely excellent retelling of Dickens' original story. We watched is every year when I was a kid, and I went through some effort to find a copy on DVD when our old VCR finally kicked the bucket. It's a pretty big part of my holiday tradition, and I kinda want to share it with my cousins. The problem is that they, being young, are pretty hard on fragile things like DVDs, and I'd like my movie to remain watchable for some time.

The logical solution, of course, is to burn a copy of the DVD, and take that with me so it can get scratched to hell. Under Canadian law, that's an entirely legal act - there's nothing wrong with making a personal copy for backup, and the DCMA has all the legal weight of Monopoly money here. Unfortunately, that doesn't. fucking. work. I didn't really expect DVD Shrink to handle the decryption all on it's own, and it didn't, so I downloaded a trial of AnyDVD*. Even with dedicated commercial software, I still can't do it. No copy for me. CRC errors at the halfway point.

Fuck that. If I had just pirated the movie to start with, it's be trivial to burn a second copy. I'd say the cost/benefit ratio for legal purchases is pretty damn clear here. I'm done with trying to be nice about my media consumption, next time I'll jump straight to the torrent and save myself the time and the money.

*Side note: SlySoft is discontinuing lifetime subscriptions at the end of the year. If you want one, now's the time.

Side side note: Where's phillipsjk when you need him? We could have one hell of a DRM ranting session here!
"Optimism, pessimism, fuck that; we're going to make it happen. As God is my bloody witness, I'm hell-bent on making it work." -Elon Musk
Shivahn wrote:I am a motherfucking sorceror.

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:43 am UTC

DRM is the reason me and my father can't LAN on various games.

Fuck it.
uhhhh fuck.

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:41 am UTC

PhoenixEnigma wrote:Listen, magical DRM faeries: Fuck. You.

I own a copy of The Muppet Christmas Carol on DVD. In my opinion, this is one of the best Christmas movies around, and an absolutely excellent retelling of Dickens' original story. We watched is every year when I was a kid, and I went through some effort to find a copy on DVD when our old VCR finally kicked the bucket. It's a pretty big part of my holiday tradition, and I kinda want to share it with my cousins. The problem is that they, being young, are pretty hard on fragile things like DVDs, and I'd like my movie to remain watchable for some time.

The logical solution, of course, is to burn a copy of the DVD, and take that with me so it can get scratched to hell. Under Canadian law, that's an entirely legal act - there's nothing wrong with making a personal copy for backup, and the DCMA has all the legal weight of Monopoly money here. Unfortunately, that doesn't. fucking. work. I didn't really expect DVD Shrink to handle the decryption all on it's own, and it didn't, so I downloaded a trial of AnyDVD*. Even with dedicated commercial software, I still can't do it. No copy for me. CRC errors at the halfway point.

Fuck that. If I had just pirated the movie to start with, it's be trivial to burn a second copy. I'd say the cost/benefit ratio for legal purchases is pretty damn clear here. I'm done with trying to be nice about my media consumption, next time I'll jump straight to the torrent and save myself the time and the money.

*Side note: SlySoft is discontinuing lifetime subscriptions at the end of the year. If you want one, now's the time.

Side side note: Where's phillipsjk when you need him? We could have one hell of a DRM ranting session here!
You could try DVDFab, but it's also pay. :|

GenericPseudonym

Postby GenericPseudonym » Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:50 am UTC

Xeio wrote:
PhoenixEnigma wrote:[rather large quote]

Or he could follow his own suggestion, and just pirate a copy. He wouldn't actually be costing the company revenue, seeing as he already owns the DVD.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:06 am UTC

PhoenixEnigma wrote:Listen, magical DRM faeries: Fuck. You.

Put it in the computer and use FRAPS. Or if you want better quality, use an Xbox 360 or PS3 with a capture card. Maybe there's someone who lives nearby who has one of these things?

(If you don't know anyone, just ask all the YouTube video game commentators you can find where they live. I happen to know that this guy is Canadian, if that helps. I mean, same country, gotta be within easy driving distance, right?)
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

Levi

Postby Levi » Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:27 am UTC

Say, capacitors don't contain any harmful chemicals, do they?

PhoenixEnigma

Postby PhoenixEnigma » Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:37 am UTC

The Scyphozoa wrote:Put it in the computer and use FRAPS. Or if you want better quality, use an Xbox 360 or PS3 with a capture card. Maybe there's someone who lives nearby who has one of these things?

(If you don't know anyone, just ask all the YouTube video game commentators you can find where they live. I happen to know that this guy is Canadian, if that helps. I mean, same country, gotta be within easy driving distance, right?)
Or, I can find a torrent. I do have video capture hardware, but I'm done with the effort-spending.
"Optimism, pessimism, fuck that; we're going to make it happen. As God is my bloody witness, I'm hell-bent on making it work." -Elon Musk
Shivahn wrote:I am a motherfucking sorceror.

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:16 am UTC

fraps either costs money or leaves a watermark.
uhhhh fuck.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:39 am UTC

Midnight wrote:fraps either costs money or leaves a watermark.

Well, yeah, and the free version requires you to stop and start recording every thirty seconds. But I was implying "if you have the full version or know someone who does".
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:56 am UTC

GenericPseudonym wrote:
Xeio wrote:
PhoenixEnigma wrote:[rather large quote]

Or he could follow his own suggestion, and just pirate a copy. He wouldn't actually be costing the company revenue, seeing as he already owns the DVD.
Yea, but downloading the trial for DVDFab and using it once would be faster. Not sure if he wanted it "NOW" or just sometime.

sje46

Postby sje46 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:54 am UTC

Why do hair salons.barbers/eye doctors/waiting rooms in general only have two types of magazines: beauty and sports? And sometimes they only have beauty. Would it kill them to have some variety? It's like they said "Okay, we have beauty magazines for the girls...now what do guys like? Oh, sports!"

I'm fine if they subscribe to a sport's one, but they subscribe to like 5 beauty ones, and that's it. Would it kill them to get a Newsweek, at least? Maybe a science oriented one? Something with a little...I don't know...depth?
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.

ameretrifle
Vera

Postby ameretrifle » Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:41 am UTC

PhoenixEnigma wrote:I own a copy of The Muppet Christmas Carol on DVD. In my opinion, this is one of the best Christmas movies around, and an absolutely excellent retelling of Dickens' original story.

Holy crap, yes. We've still got a VHS of that. It is awesome. I should look into the DVD version despite said rant...

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:07 am UTC

Bicyclists should be required to get a license if they are going to drive on the road. I mean, at least a written test. It was almost 1 AM, I am driving, and I see an idiot riding a bike on the wrong side of the road. Part of me hopes he gets hit by a car, but then he would probably sue the driver of the car and win, or get killed and the driver would have to live with it. Bicyclists often act like stop signs and other traffic laws don't apply to them anyway.
Summum ius, summa iniuria.

Levi

Postby Levi » Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:00 pm UTC

sje46 wrote:Why do hair salons.barbers/eye doctors/waiting rooms in general only have two types of magazines: beauty and sports? And sometimes they only have beauty. Would it kill them to have some variety? It's like they said "Okay, we have beauty magazines for the girls...now what do guys like? Oh, sports!"

I'm fine if they subscribe to a sport's one, but they subscribe to like 5 beauty ones, and that's it. Would it kill them to get a Newsweek, at least? Maybe a science oriented one? Something with a little...I don't know...depth?

My dentist has Popular Science.

Kang

Postby Kang » Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:05 pm UTC

Levi wrote:Say, capacitors don't contain any harmful chemicals, do they?

Some of them do. And I remember handling one (very old one, though) which came with a warning about inhaling any fumes, too.

Torvaun

Postby Torvaun » Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:19 pm UTC

Levi wrote:Say, capacitors don't contain any harmful chemicals, do they?

They've got electrolytes! It's what plants crave!
Hawknc wrote:I don't know if you've never heard of trolling, or if you're just very good at it.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:01 pm UTC

Thesh wrote:Bicyclists should be required to get a license if they are going to drive on the road. I mean, at least a written test. It was almost 1 AM, I am driving, and I see an idiot riding a bike on the wrong side of the road. Part of me hopes he gets hit by a car, but then he would probably sue the driver of the car and win, or get killed and the driver would have to live with it. Bicyclists often act like stop signs and other traffic laws don't apply to them anyway.

A license is a bit extreme, but they should at least be penalised for behaving like morons just like a driver would be punished for behaving like a moron.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

OBrien

Postby OBrien » Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:51 pm UTC

Fuck everything
Spelling and grammar can go screw themselves.

Jumble

Postby Jumble » Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:39 pm UTC

PhoenixEnigma wrote:I own a copy of The Muppet Christmas Carol on DVD. In my opinion, this is one of the best Christmas movies around, and an absolutely excellent retelling of Dickens' original story.

No, I'm sorry. I'm going to have to take issue with this. The Muppet Christmas Carol is way better than anything Dickens knocked out. Charles Dickes could not come up with the genius of Statler and Waldorf as Jacob and Robert Marley.
Spoiler:
Giant Speck wrote:You're a demon! DEMON!!!!

Oregonaut wrote:CURSE YOU VILLAIN!!
PhoenixEnigma wrote:Jumble is either the best or worst Santa ever, and I can't figure out which. Possibly both.

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:44 pm UTC

OBrien wrote:Fuck everything

Alright, but I'm going to need a lot of condoms.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:59 pm UTC

Yeah, Dickens sucks.
uhhhh fuck.

GraphiteGirl
Alpha Male

Postby GraphiteGirl » Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:20 am UTC

sje46 wrote:Why do hair salons.barbers/eye doctors/waiting rooms in general only have two types of magazines: beauty and sports? And sometimes they only have beauty. Would it kill them to have some variety? It's like they said "Okay, we have beauty magazines for the girls...now what do guys like? Oh, sports!"

My doctor keeps Time in her waiting room. A+, doctor.
Sandry wrote:Man, my commitment to sparkle motion is waaaaay lower than you are intimating.

Wyvern

Postby Wyvern » Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:54 am UTC

The dentist I go to has a couple sports and beauty magazines, the pop/celeb news one that seems to be everywhere, but then also splashes in Time and Popular Science. Love it.

Zohar
COMMANDER PORN

Postby Zohar » Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:27 am UTC

My barber just has the daily papers.
Mighty Jalapeno: "See, Zohar agrees, and he's nice to people."
SecondTalon: "Still better looking than Jesus."

Not how I say my name

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:13 am UTC

By the time I realize the hair salon even has magazines, I'm already getting my hair cut.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:31 am UTC

Giant Speck wrote:By the time I realize the hair salon even has magazines, I'm already getting my antlers cut.

Ouch.jars

Postby Ouch.jars » Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:23 am UTC

My dentist and barber-place have Time.
My orthodontist has lots of National Geographic. Too bad he's always on time or early.
ouchjars: putting the "pie" in "sapience" since '08

OBrien

Postby OBrien » Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:05 am UTC

How comes remembering all the shit that's happened in the past year or so is making me feel twice as bad while I'm remebering it now than when I was actually living through it? Fuck. Why can't I just be happy that I've got all that stuff behind me?
And although I'm used to rejections, that's really not helping right now. Nor is the fact that her current crush is almost exactly like me. I know it's not her fault and I'm not angry at her or him, she's still my best friend and I want her to be happy. I just also happen to want her to be happy with me.
Ah well. At least, after three weeks of waiting, my appointment with the universtity's counsellors is tomorrow. I just hope they can tell me what the fuck is wrong with me and help me to get better.
Spelling and grammar can go screw themselves.

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:31 am UTC

Friend of mine was sick of the work break room only having "women's magazines", so she started supplying New Scientists and such herself.

I have a bunch of old magazines to get rid of, I should consider that. But the only waiting room I spend time in has stuff I'm more'n happy to read. (China Today. Reads like propaganda in the corporate newsletter sense, but it's nice to read something that doesn't have an embarrassingly anti-China bias.) Even then, I usually take a book.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I believe that everything can and must be joked about.
Hawknc wrote:I like to think that he hasn't left, he's just finally completed his foe list.

blue_eyedspacemonkey

Postby blue_eyedspacemonkey » Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:54 am UTC

Dear body,

This is my only full day off. Getting a blinding headache was not on my to-do list. Fuck right off. Also, I can't buy that specific mug online and ship to the US? What a fail.

No love,
Me.
"Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes"

So. Twitter

Return to “General”