Hype your ripe snipes 'n' gripes

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Kulantan

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Kulantan » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:39 pm UTC

One portal on the wall near you, the other at the desired end of the corridor. We here at Aperture ScienceTM are always happy to help.

Note: Aperture Science is not responsible for any injury or hair loss associated with the uses of the Aperture Portal DeviceTM.
TEAM SHIVAHN
Pretty much the best team ever

phlip wrote:(Scholars believe it is lost to time exactly which search engine Columbus preferred... though they are reasonably sure that he was an avid user of Apple Maps.)

Blog.

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:12 pm UTC

...Damn it.

Just, damn it.
- Ochigo the Earth-Stomper

The EGE wrote:
Mumpy wrote:And to this day, librarians revile Oregonaut as the Antichrist.

False! We sacrifice our card catalogues to him in the name of Job Security!

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:27 pm UTC

Kulantan wrote:One portal on the wall near you on the ceiling above person one, the other at the desired end of the corridor on the floor beneath person two. We here at Aperture ScienceTM are always happy to help.

Note: Aperture Science is not responsible for any injury or hair loss associated with the uses of the Aperture Portal DeviceTM.
FTFY
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:59 pm UTC

Now you're trolling with Portals.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:15 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:2 people talking in a corridor. There's no way to go around them because they're standing by opposite walls. But walking between two talking people is rude.

What do I do?!?
Go for style - Moonwalk between them.

If you're friends with them and in to various friendly abuse, give them your favorite single hand salute as you glide past.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:30 pm UTC

roband wrote:
Oregonaut wrote:Kick the first one in the stomach, elbow the second in the face as he moves toward you, sweep the firsts legs out from under him, slam the second's head against the wall then deliver a knee to the solarplexus.

Woah, woah. He's walking down a corridor, not dealing with some Zombies ;)

He could be walking down a zombie corridor. Better be sure, just in case.

Silastic

Postby Silastic » Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:03 pm UTC

SurgicalSteel wrote:Ok, either Firefox or Netflix is getting punched in the balls. Anytime I'm watching Netflix and it does it's "Adjusting the picture because your connection slowed" deal, I would like to tab over and do something else while it buffers or adjusts or whatever, but I can't, because it stops loading whenever I change tabs or windows. So I have to sit there and stare at the progress bar.

Mine is doing the same thing. I think its netflix, since I don't have firefox.

emceng

Postby emceng » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:26 pm UTC

Kulantan wrote:One portal on the wall near you, the other at the desired end of the corridor. We here at Aperture ScienceTM are always happy to help.

Or, one portal at the end of the corridor, one below someone's feet.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:31 pm UTC

Sounds like a good job for the Thermal Discouragement Beam™

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:31 pm UTC

Apparently one of the fraternities has put "tackle a Humans vs Zombies player" on their list of activities for their freshman pledge scavenger hunt. Yeah, because committing assault on a student unrelated to your organization is SO FUNNY and TOTALLY APPROPRIATE for initiating your pledges with, amirite? RAR.

We've already found status updates and Twitter entries from frat guys talking about "tripping kids with bandanas." Which brain-dead fart of a neanderthal decided this was acceptable? The Greeks are a tiny percentage of the total student population, it enrages me to no end how they're under the delusion that they "own" this campus. Guess what, ogres, sometimes people like to band together and do things without the approval of *your* freaky population of preternaturally tanned, polo-shirted frat-drones.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:39 pm UTC

Sounds like you need an enforcer.

The EGE wrote:

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:51 pm UTC

podbaydoor wrote:Apparently one of the fraternities has put "tackle a Humans vs Zombies player" on their list of activities for their freshman pledge scavenger hunt. Yeah, because committing assault on a student unrelated to your organization is SO FUNNY and TOTALLY APPROPRIATE for initiating your pledges with, amirite? RAR.

We've already found status updates and Twitter entries from frat guys talking about "tripping kids with bandanas." Which brain-dead fart of a neanderthal decided this was acceptable? The Greeks are a tiny percentage of the total student population, it enrages me to no end how they're under the delusion that they "own" this campus. Guess what, ogres, sometimes people like to band together and do things without the approval of *your* freaky population of preternaturally tanned, polo-shirted frat-drones.

That's called human nature.
When faced with bullying and harassment as a kid I dealt with it using violence. Had to reuse the method in most new environments (hey, it's a solitary kid that spends a lot of time reading!) but it worked (let's bully the shit out of hi- OW AARGH BAD IDEA OKAY NEVER MIND).

It worked. Other methods (trying to reason with them, appealing to adults) didn't.
If you don't have the physical strength/ferocity... frankly can't help you.

jawdisorder

Postby jawdisorder » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:57 pm UTC

I have to walk home in the rain with a 20 mph wind blowing it straight in my face.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:02 pm UTC

It's not me I'm worried about. I'm one of the mods, we're usually in the thick of it. I'm worried about some of our little freshman players, the ones right out of high school. The game can get really spread out over a fairly large campus and players can get pretty isolated - what if they tackle him or her when not many people are around? What if they steal their guns? (This has happened before.) We've also been pelted with water balloons. We've reported all this, but without specific names or house names, there's not much anyone can do. I'm just angry that this culture even exists. It's not just physical violence: every year when the advertising for HvZ starts up, and when the game starts up, we get comments on Facebook and other sites calling us names and wishing to violently kick us off campus. It doesn't help that even non-Greek people view us with suspicion. The nominally military nature of the game has spooked other universities (because bright plastic Nerf guns are so easy to mistake for real guns, right?), and I guess some people just can't handle people running around being joyously weird in public. Anyway, the upshot of it is that we drill our players in being chill and respectful, because even one incident could get us in big trouble with the administrators...even though they overlook shit like frats making it a goal to fuck our game up, or any of the other shenanigans that the Greek system gets away with because half the administration is former Greek graduates anyway.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:05 pm UTC

Next person takes my teddy bear off my desk is going to learn fear.

The EGE wrote:

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:12 pm UTC

When I delivered pizza I would take the ones going to frat houses out of the thermal bag and deliver them last so they would be cold.
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:16 pm UTC

Fraternities: they're not universally bad.

Kewangji
Has Been Touched

Postby Kewangji » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:20 pm UTC

pseudoidiot wrote:Fraternities: they're not universally bad.

Pfffffft. Next you'll be saying that I can't condemn a nationality because of what their countries' leaders are doing.
If you like my words sign up for my newsletter, Airport Tattoo Parlour: https://tinyletter.com/distantstations

The Great Hippo wrote:Nuclear bombs are like potato chips, you can't stop after just *one*

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:20 pm UTC

Nah, that's totally okay.

Dobblesworth
Dobblesworth, here's the title you requested over three years ago. -Banana

Postby Dobblesworth » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:42 pm UTC

I can't help but think playing your bagpipes in your back garden in a tight-ish residential area at eight o'clock in the evening at pretty much full volume multiple times a week is an antisocial thing to be doing. But I may be wrong.

Deva
Has suggestions for the murderers out there.

Postby Deva » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:56 pm UTC

Dobblesworth wrote:I can't help but think playing your bagpipes in your back garden in a tight-ish residential area at eight o'clock in the evening at pretty much full volume multiple times a week is an antisocial thing to be doing. But I may be wrong.

May believe it is beautiful music. Would not take up the bagpipes if they thought it was reminiscent of a dying goat, right? Might think of it as a favor to the community. Merely does not understand how some others hear it.

May be wrong too, of course.
Changes its form depending on the observer.

emceng

Postby emceng » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:09 pm UTC

Dobblesworth wrote:I can't help but think playing your bagpipes in your back garden in a tight-ish residential area at eight o'clock in the evening at pretty much full volume multiple times a week is an antisocial thing to be doing. But I may be wrong.

Oh, that's definitely anti-social. That's why I only practice in the middle of the night, and walk around the block every time.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:12 pm UTC

Deva wrote:

May believe it is beautiful music. Would not take up the bagpipes if they thought it was reminiscent of a dying goat, right? Might think of it as a favor to the community. Merely does not understand how some others hear it.

May be wrong too, of course.

Man, I don't care if four incredibly skilled musicians decide to play "The Divided Sky" next door. Several times a week, no thank you.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

Hope_

Postby Hope_ » Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:20 am UTC

So one of my friends has been telling my boyfriend shit about what she thinks I felt before we were going out. None of what she thinks is true. She can't keep her fucking nose out while I'm in another country and have basically no good way of contacting him to reassure him. FUCK FUCK FUCK.
Whelan wrote:
I Am Raven wrote:Shall I compare thee to a summer's day?
Damn baby, you're so wet!
Shakespeare was British.

nehpest

Postby nehpest » Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:29 am UTC

Hope_ wrote:So one of my friends has been telling my boyfriend shit about what she thinks I felt before we were going out. None of what she thinks is true. She can't keep her fucking nose out while I'm in another country and have basically no good way of contacting him to reassure him. FUCK FUCK FUCK.

I'd thought I've seen Von Haus posting in Rants... perhaps he'll see it here?
Kewangji wrote:Someone told me I need to stop being so arrogant. Like I'd care about their plebeian opinions.

blag

Hope_

Postby Hope_ » Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:43 am UTC

nehpest wrote:I'd thought I've seen Von Haus posting in Rants... perhaps he'll see it here?

Heh, so we're well known to be together. Anyway, he probably will see this tomorrow. :P But thankfully, I found out that orange lets you send free texts online (what an excellent feature) so I've managed to placate him at least (and sent a passive aggressive text to said friend which probably wasn't the best idea.. never mind).
Whelan wrote:
I Am Raven wrote:Shall I compare thee to a summer's day?
Damn baby, you're so wet!
Shakespeare was British.

Burning

Postby Burning » Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:05 am UTC

Dearest brother of mine:

Death threats, no matter how empty they may be, are not an appropriate way to deal with me asking you to do the dishes. Someday, perhaps when you're older than twelve, someone might take you seriously when you say that kind of thing. Not realizing that threats of physical violence are your normal way of dealing with being asked to do something you don't want to, they might get you in all kinds of trouble. Please learn that chores and homework are simply a part of life, and stop taking your irrational responsibility-avoiding reaction out on me.

Also, when our mom asks you if you've done your homework, it does not mean she hates you and everything you've ever done and wishes she had had another girl instead of you. It means she wants you to do your homework. And really, no one can take you seriously when you say stuff like that.

Mumpy

Postby Mumpy » Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:35 am UTC

Hope_ wrote:Heh, so we're well known to be together.

Whaaa...?

(Yes).

Disclaimer! This is not in any way meant in a bad way, I don't think it could be taken in one, but still. Disclaimer!

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:42 am UTC

Disclaimer: I am feeling exceptionally stupid.

When I bash my toe on something, for the seventh time that day, I should really move that something.

The EGE wrote:

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:03 am UTC

Hope_ wrote:
nehpest wrote:I'd thought I've seen Von Haus posting in Rants... perhaps he'll see it here?

Heh, so we're well known to be together.

Frankly, yes.

blue_eyedspacemonkey

Postby blue_eyedspacemonkey » Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:42 am UTC

I has a sick. Stupid sick people. I really should've thought working in a pharmacy through more :P
"Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes"

So. Twitter

PhoenixEnigma

Postby PhoenixEnigma » Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:11 am UTC

Oregonaut wrote:Disclaimer: I am feeling exceptionally stupid.

When I bash my toe on something, for the seventh time that day, I should really move that something.
Seriously, buy steel toed shoes. You go from stubbing your toe to things, to stubbing things on your toe.
"Optimism, pessimism, fuck that; we're going to make it happen. As God is my bloody witness, I'm hell-bent on making it work." -Elon Musk
Shivahn wrote:I am a motherfucking sorceror.

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:21 am UTC

I can attest to the awesomeness of steel cap shoes. I have steel cap business shoes that both look good in an office environment and protect my toes from my hilariously clumsy nature.

Jumble

Postby Jumble » Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:35 am UTC

Really? Make & model, please? (Do we need to swap this to the awesome thread?).
Spoiler:
Giant Speck wrote:You're a demon! DEMON!!!!

Oregonaut wrote:CURSE YOU VILLAIN!!
PhoenixEnigma wrote:Jumble is either the best or worst Santa ever, and I can't figure out which. Possibly both.

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:43 am UTC

Perhaps. :P I have the 28-255 model shoe from Oliver, which my workplace supplies so I'm not sure about availability or cost.

Von Haus

Postby Von Haus » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:01 am UTC

Menacing Spike wrote:
Hope_ wrote:

Heh, so we're well known to be together.

Frankly, yes.

Frankly, I don't think we're as bad as you seem to be saying we are. We don't hide the fact that we're going out no, and why the hell should we? And if we are talking about something that references the other we won't generally avoid using their name, because again, why the hell should we? We post in LS&R quite a lot which seems to naturally lead to anecdotes, I mean Christ there's threads like "Hilarity in the bedroom", as for us the bedroom only involves the two of us any posts either of us make there kind of have to acknowledge the existence of the other.
Or to put it another way... Get over yourself.

Also, steel toe-capped business shoes??? AWESOME!!!
A bee sees Dee 'effigy' Hitch, I 'Jay' kill, amen OP, queue arresty UV double, you ex-wizard!

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:04 am UTC

FWIW, I don't think you two are near as bad as that comic would imply. It's been mentioned enough times that I think people are aware of it, but I wouldn't go as far as saying you're irritating about it.

Von Haus

Postby Von Haus » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:37 am UTC

Thanks, that's reassuring to hear and has stopped me having to go back through all our posts trying to assess to what extent we talk about each other. :P
A bee sees Dee 'effigy' Hitch, I 'Jay' kill, amen OP, queue arresty UV double, you ex-wizard!

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:56 am UTC

Oregonaut wrote:Disclaimer: I am feeling exceptionally stupid.

I used to bash my toe on a wall in my room so often that I stuck yellow and black warning tape on it so I'd see it. I then knocked the tape off by hitting my toe on it so often.
Ⓞⓞ◯

Torvaun

Postby Torvaun » Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:43 pm UTC

I got steel-toes after my foot almost got crushed by a three-jaw lathe chuck that had been stored improperly by someone else. They turned out to be the most comfortable shoes I own, so I wear them all the time now, and there have been many many occasions where I have ran my foot into something that would otherwise have hurt like the dickens.
Hawknc wrote:I don't know if you've never heard of trolling, or if you're just very good at it.

Return to “General”