Blistering blue barnacles

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Hofstadter'sLaw

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Hofstadter'sLaw » Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:23 am UTC

Still vaguely on employment topic: Do unskilled labor jobs ever not start out with a minimum wage pay? I might look into a dishwashing job at a bakery for over the summer, and my mom told me to make sure I have an idea of the minimum amount I want to get paid if I go in to talk to the employer. I'm confused because I can't see why I'd be getting more than minimum wage. (Note: All the work I've ever done so far has been unpaid internships/volunteering, so I'm new to this.)

Rant: The weather is really nice outside, but bugs keep dive bombing my face and crawling all over my laptop, so I'm stuck inside. Inside sucks too though. The air conditioner is on and my mom only knows it's "cool enough" because I'm wearing long pants and a heavy sweatshirt.

e^iπ+1=0
Much, much better than Gooder

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:32 am UTC

My understanding of the way it works in the US is that you must either get minimum or something below minimum with tips to make up the difference. If the tips aren't enough, then your employer makes up the difference. Seeing as how dishwashers don't generally get tips and are unskilled laborers, I think you're right: you'd get minimum wage. So I don't know what your mom is talking about.
poxic wrote:You, sir, have heroic hair.
poxic wrote:I note that the hair is not slowing down. It appears to have progressed from heroic to rocking.

(Avatar by Sungura)

Hofstadter'sLaw

Postby Hofstadter'sLaw » Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:40 am UTC

Sorry. I meant that she thinks I should be asking more than minimum wage. Minimum wage is like $7.25 in my state, and she was like, "Well, you should ask for at least $9 or $10." =/ I'm not sure if she is confused and just confusing me.

e^iπ+1=0
Much, much better than Gooder

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:45 am UTC

Ah, well I can't help you there. I haven't done all the much work myself and none of it was long term or full time.
poxic wrote:You, sir, have heroic hair.
poxic wrote:I note that the hair is not slowing down. It appears to have progressed from heroic to rocking.

(Avatar by Sungura)

Ashlah

Postby Ashlah » Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:39 am UTC

I suppose it doesn't hurt to ask...but, yeah, I would say it's incredibly unlikely you would get much more than minimum wage as a dishwasher, especially when you are first hired. When I was hired for my retail position (with no experience), they started me at five cents over minimum. A lot of office jobs only make a dollar or two more than minimum. I can't imagine any reason why a business would want to pay more than minimum for someone to wash dishes.

Viae

Postby Viae » Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:10 am UTC

I dish washed in a grotty pub for a few weeks (note: dishwashing is a horrible, horrible job. I don't want to scare you off working but you should know what you're getting in for. Your hands will start falling to bits unless you use gloves and your feet will be killing you by a few days, and the pressure to wash up fast is not very nice) and got the bare minimum wage. I would not expect anything more.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:Also, I think your title should be "colossus", and I don't care if nobody agrees.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:56 pm UTC

Hofstader'sLaw wrote:Sorry. I meant that she thinks I should be asking more than minimum wage. Minimum wage is like $7.25 in my state, and she was like, "Well, you should ask for at least $9 or $10." =/ I'm not sure if she is confused and just confusing me.
It's a pay negotiation tactic. They want to pay you $7.25. You ask for $10. After a negotiation, you settle on $8.

That being said, unskilled labor (cue "In this economy!?") doesn't give you a position of strength. Zero experience also doesn't give you a position of strength. The only thing that would is if you know someone who's been there a bit who isn't in management who can tell you what starting dishwashers earn so you can call them out on it if they offer you lower than that.

That said, if it's large enough of an organization that there's enough people there that you can find someone like that, odds are their starting wages for unskilled labor are pretty much set in stone anyway, so ....

Yeah, I can't really see you negotiating a larger wage in that situation.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Sweeney_Todd

Postby Sweeney_Todd » Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:01 pm UTC

My pet peeve:

People who say "try and' instead of "try to." It makes no sense when someone says "I'm going to try and blah blah blah..." They're trying to do something, not trying and do something.

</rant>
SurgicalSteel wrote:Wow, you're spectacularly unhelpful! I think you have a real talent for not being helpful!

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:33 pm UTC

I'll try and remember that.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

garren101

Postby garren101 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:53 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:I'll try and remember that.

I see what you did there.
Arthur Dent: "What's so unpleasant about being drunk?"
Ford Prefect: "You ask a glass of water."

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:25 pm UTC

I'll try and be more subtle next time.

felltir
has a sniper scope and a trigger finger.

Postby felltir » Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:38 pm UTC

Oh try and be a bit sensitive.
Spoiler:
RoadieRich wrote:He's a super flexible furry martial artist from London. She is a Rabbit breeding mad scientist from Michigan. They fight crime!
The Great Hippo wrote:I THINK THE SOLAR SYSTEM MIGHT BE AN ATOM OF OXYGEN.

Blog

he/him/his

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:49 pm UTC

I am. Everyone knows the key to a good joke is repetition. So I'll try and keep it up for as long as I need to.

felltir
has a sniper scope and a trigger finger.

Postby felltir » Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:56 pm UTC

I don't think it's funny, so I'm gonna try and kill the joke.
Spoiler:
RoadieRich wrote:He's a super flexible furry martial artist from London. She is a Rabbit breeding mad scientist from Michigan. They fight crime!
The Great Hippo wrote:I THINK THE SOLAR SYSTEM MIGHT BE AN ATOM OF OXYGEN.

Blog

he/him/his

Hofstadter'sLaw

Postby Hofstadter'sLaw » Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:59 pm UTC

Viae wrote:I dish washed in a grotty pub for a few weeks (note: dishwashing is a horrible, horrible job. I don't want to scare you off working but you should know what you're getting in for. Your hands will start falling to bits unless you use gloves and your feet will be killing you by a few days, and the pressure to wash up fast is not very nice) and got the bare minimum wage. I would not expect anything more.

Luckily, the bakery has dishwashing gloves, and the "dishwasher" actually does more than dishwash (make boxes, prep pans, icning stuff, etc...) so I figured it wouldn't be too bad. The thing about my feet killing me is a good point though. =/ I had to intern in a pharmacy for three weeks for 6 hours a day, and was standing the whole time without problems, so I'm hoping 9 hour days with a half hour break in between won't kill my feet.

Thanks for the replies guys! Sounds like my mom just had some distorted expectations about minimum wage jobs.

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:21 pm UTC

Hofstader'sLaw wrote:Luckily, the bakery has dishwashing gloves, and the "dishwasher" actually does more than dishwash (make boxes, prep pans, icning stuff, etc...)
When I read this I imagined some sort of advanced robotics set-up before I realised you meant the employee.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Hofstadter'sLaw

Postby Hofstadter'sLaw » Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:21 pm UTC

bigglesworth wrote:
Hofstader'sLaw wrote:Luckily, the bakery has dishwashing gloves, and the "dishwasher" actually does more than dishwash (make boxes, prep pans, icning stuff, etc...)
When I read this I imagined some sort of advanced robotics set-up before I realised you meant the employee.

An advanced robotics set up would be cool--if it didn't put me out of a job. D:

I suppose I need to spend some time editing my posts to make them more clear.

Ashlah

Postby Ashlah » Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:28 pm UTC

When I first started my job, my feet were killing me. I got used to being on my feet after a while, though, and it wasn't nearly as bad. My current shoes have zero support left, so my feet hurt almost as bad as when I first started, but I'm so close to being done with this job that I can't bring myself to buy new ones.

TimelordSimone

Postby TimelordSimone » Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:38 pm UTC

Argh. I get so annoyed with this guy I don't even speak to and have never even met (I've seen him around, once) because he makes my friend so unhappy.
I mostly lurk. Hello.

Hofstadter'sLaw

Postby Hofstadter'sLaw » Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:52 pm UTC

Ashlah wrote:When I first started my job, my feet were killing me. I got used to being on my feet after a while, though, and it wasn't nearly as bad. My current shoes have zero support left, so my feet hurt almost as bad as when I first started, but I'm so close to being done with this job that I can't bring myself to buy new ones.

If they have zero support left, why wouldn't you buy new shoes anyway? =/

I always wait until my feet start hurting to buy new sneakers.

We probably need to take better care of our feet. >_<

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:41 am UTC

I can't post on the fora at work anymore. I can access stuff and read it, but when I hit submit to post something, it gives me the webfilter screen. :(
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks

Vohu Manah
athlete's nipple.

Postby Vohu Manah » Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:16 am UTC

Ranch Chicken Wrap from Restaurant: $9
Brownie Sundae: $5
Getting food poisoning and a newfound phobia of honey mustard: Priceless.
Isaac Hill wrote:If this tetonic plate's rockin' such that it registers no less than 6.1 on the Richter scale, don't come a knockin'.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:23 am UTC

As some of you may be aware by either reading the crap I type or just looking at my member profile, I'm 31. Which more or less means I've been out of High School for longer than I was in the 1st-12 system to begin with. I'm also on the Facebook, as are quite a few people that attended the same school system as I. I mention that so none of y'all freak out when I mention 10 year old kids... because that's not bad, really.

So occasionally I get requests from people who I don't instantly recognize but something kinda twangs and I look and oh, lookit that, I went to High School with them. Neat. Now who are they again?

Name's kinda familiar, I guess, but let me see if I can see any of their pictures.. oh, look - they've got 15 pictures.

Every fucking one of them is of their kids.

Now, that's great that they have kids and that they're proud of them or whatever, and it's neat that they have pictures of them doing the kind of crap I don't give a fuck about because it's not my Facebook profile and if that's what they want to do, good for them. But they forgot to put a fucking picture of themselves on it. I have no fucking clue who this person is beyond a name that's vaguely familiar and a bunch of photos of some 10, 8, 6 or 4 year old kids or whatever. That... doesn't tell me a goddamn thing.

Not that a picture of the person may help all that much, but damn. Put a fucking picture of yourself. One headshot, that's all I ask.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

suffer-cait
Yes, that's my perfectly normal house cat, why do you ask?

Postby suffer-cait » Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:16 am UTC

Sweeney_Todd wrote:My pet peeve:

People who say "try and' instead of "try to." It makes no sense when someone says "I'm going to try and blah blah blah..." They're trying to do something, not trying and do something.

</rant>
in hawaii people just say 'try' and they use it in statements. 'try move.'
ImageImageImageImageImage

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:16 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Not that a picture of the person may help all that much, but damn. Put a fucking picture of yourself. One headshot, that's all I ask.

Today my little angel pooped!
35 people like this.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:46 am UTC

Giant Speck wrote:I can't post on the fora at work anymore. I can access stuff and read it, but when I hit submit to post something, it gives me the webfilter screen. :(

Have you tried one of the alternate URLs? As far as I know, there are three: forums.xkcd.com, fora.xkcd.com, and forums.xkcd.com. My workplace blocked forums.xkcd.com last year, and a couple of weeks ago they blocked forums.xkcd.com. All I have left is fora.xkcd.com.

Ubik

Postby Ubik » Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:55 am UTC

There definitely should be forums.cu.nniling.us. Or fora too, if you're into that kind of stuff.

Ortus
Fluffy

Postby Ortus » Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:10 am UTC

Ubik wrote:There definitely should be forums.cu.nniling.us. Or fora too, if you're into that kind of stuff.

forums.colonel.ang.us?
roband wrote:Face, yes. Chest, probably. Pubic area, maybe. Scrotum, not a fucking chance.

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:17 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:I have no fucking clue who this person is beyond a name that's vaguely familiar and a bunch of photos of some 10, 8, 6 or 4 year old kids or whatever. That... doesn't tell me a goddamn thing.

Not that a picture of the person may help all that much, but damn. Put a fucking picture of yourself. One headshot, that's all I ask.
If you knew them from junior school, then maybe a pic of someone of that age with 50% genetic similarity would jog your memory? :P
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:21 am UTC

SlyReaper wrote:
Giant Speck wrote:I can't post on the fora at work anymore. I can access stuff and read it, but when I hit submit to post something, it gives me the webfilter screen. :(

Have you tried one of the alternate URLs? As far as I know, there are three: forums.xkcd.com, fora.xkcd.com, and forums.xkcd.com. My workplace blocked forums.xkcd.com last year, and a couple of weeks ago they blocked forums.xkcd.com. All I have left is fora.xkcd.com.

I will attempt this later today when I'm at work. I didn't even think of that.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:43 am UTC

Okay, looks like my post got word filtered. The third URL is echochamber.me

TimelordSimone

Postby TimelordSimone » Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:44 pm UTC

I was so confused, but just assumed I was reading SOMETHING wrong. I guess not, huh.
I mostly lurk. Hello.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:28 pm UTC

And the fourth is forums3.xkcd.com. Which... no one uses.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:32 pm UTC

Magnanimous wrote:And the fourth is forums3.xkcd.com. Which... no one uses.

I didn't know that one. I'll probably end up using that when my work's webfilter blocks fora.xkcd.com.

torontoraptor

Postby torontoraptor » Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:19 pm UTC

Magnanimous wrote:And the fourth is forums3.xkcd.com. Which... no one uses.

I don't intentionally used it, but for some reason that's the one it took me too for some of the threads I opened today. Weird.
Promicin wrote:Now if I can just grab on with my tongue-like foot... wait. I am not a mussel.

pseudoidiot wrote:
You, sir, name? wrote:fucking owls is enjoyable.
Someone should sig this

M1k3_Nix

Postby M1k3_Nix » Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:41 pm UTC

5 exams in the next 4 days... i hate A Levels :@
SlyReaper wrote:You shouldn't poke fun at a German's sense of humour like that. A German joke is no laughing matter.

"Simply because you can breathe, doesn't mean you're alive, or that you really live"

emceng

Postby emceng » Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:05 pm UTC

I hate one of the Minnesota language idiosyncrasies. If I was an English nerd I could describe the exact part of speech they're misusing(or butchering), but instead I have to give examples.

E.G. - He'll borrow me the book.
He'll learn me math.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

Viae

Postby Viae » Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:16 pm UTC

Mixing up the subject/object direction? I don't know the technical term, though.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:Also, I think your title should be "colossus", and I don't care if nobody agrees.

Sandry
My cheese is pants?

Postby Sandry » Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:20 pm UTC

Yeah, I'm not sure what it is, but I wonder if it isn't half-borrowed from French. It looks like using a verb reflexively instead of in the typical manner.
He does not spout ever more, new stupidities. He "diversifies his wrongness portfolio."
(My pronouns are She/Her/Hers)

Ptolom

Postby Ptolom » Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:24 pm UTC

I quite like it. It puts a different perspective on the relationship between the two things. And having a different verb depending on which is the subject and which is the object is kind of redundant.

Return to “General”