Hype your ripe snipes 'n' gripes

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Magnanimous » Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:06 am UTC

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:16 am UTC

Fuck. I thought I was more mature than this.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

superglucose
hermaj's new favourite

Postby superglucose » Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:37 am UTC

God damn I'm stuck in a party with two of the thickest MORONS who ever walked the earth.

Excuse me: trigger warning
Spoiler:
"It looks like a protection racket."

"But then why would they have taken the girl to another village?"

I DON'T KNOW. MAYBE, JUST MAYBE, THEY AREN'T OK WITH MURDER? OR MAYBE THEY'RE HOPING THAT THE FAMILY WILL POST A REWARD (WHICH THEY DID) FOR THE SAFE RETURN OF THEIR DAUGHTER AND THEY CAN DOUBLE DIP? HOW ARE YOU ALL THIS FUCKING STUPID?

To top it off my friend just blew up on me in a repeat of the whole "I'm going to treat you like a boyfriend even though we're not dating and I'm not interested in you" fiasco of yesteryear and I took it out a bit on the girl I'm very HEAVILY interested in now.

Today.

Fucking.

Sucks.

*shoots self in head*
Last edited by superglucose on Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:42 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Kewangji
Has Been Touched

Postby Kewangji » Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:38 am UTC

^ Trigger Warning
If you like my words sign up for my newsletter, Airport Tattoo Parlour: https://tinyletter.com/distantstations

The Great Hippo wrote:Nuclear bombs are like potato chips, you can't stop after just *one*

Kewangji
Has Been Touched

Postby Kewangji » Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:38 am UTC

^ Trigger Warning

(also, down there V is an uneditable post I refuse to delete)

I see you spoilered it. Thank you.
Last edited by Kewangji on Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:45 am UTC, edited 3 times in total.
If you like my words sign up for my newsletter, Airport Tattoo Parlour: https://tinyletter.com/distantstations

The Great Hippo wrote:Nuclear bombs are like potato chips, you can't stop after just *one*

NotlimTheGreat

Postby NotlimTheGreat » Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:52 pm UTC

setzer777 wrote:Rant: I'm sick of how much shit people give me about not voting.

It isn't that I don't think my vote would make a difference. It's that the difference is so minuscule relative to the amount of time and effort required to have a truly informed political opinion, that by my cost-benefit analysis it isn't worth my time. I'd rather leave voting to those who actually have a passion for following politics (or at least find it stimulating and a pleasant use of their time).

Obviously a lot of people will simply vote uninformed, but I don't personally feel a responsibility to try to cancel them out by spending a lot of time doing something I don't enjoy.

I agree completely. I would never vote on something unless I feel informed enough that i will make the right decision in my mind. I don't give a shit if I will make a difference-If i make the wrong difference how is that good?

Kang

Postby Kang » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:10 pm UTC

Well, not voting is a decision, too, isn't it? I don't think the downward trend in turnout observed in many countries is actually people just being lazy or not caring. Might be a factor, but I'm convinced that many people are actually not voting for the reason this very valid option is there to begin with: «None of the candidates convinced me of their programme.»
Not voting does not necessarily mean one doesn't appreciate the right to vote or those who brought forth the struggle making that right a reality. Still every vote counts somehow (at least I got as much optimism left as to think that...), so by all means use that right if you want to; it's not like you had to defend proper reasons for your decision.

superglucose
hermaj's new favourite

Postby superglucose » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:15 pm UTC

I choose to not vote in protest of the poor system.

Armadillo Al

Postby Armadillo Al » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:11 pm UTC

Kang wrote: Might be a factor, but I'm convinced that many people are actually not voting for the reason this very valid option is there to begin with: «None of the candidates convinced me of their programme.»[/cite]

Actually, I don't believe for a second that any candidate will actually stand up for their campaign promises, they'll just go along with whatever garbage their party forces upon them.
Compiling.. wrote:xkcd... where EVERYONE loves EVERYONE...

ameretrifle
Vera

Postby ameretrifle » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:56 am UTC

Dear Intel wireless software:

Fuck you and your stupid lack of drivers, shutting off my internet, fucking with restarts, swearing you have ~no idea~ what could possibly be wrong, making me deal with goddamn HP update software uninstalling and installing dumb shit I would much rather ignore because the automatic AND manual driver searches on your website bring up nothing. My goddamn piece of shit Compaq was more reliable than this when its goddamn screen was falling off. I sure hope there are a lot of other wifi manufacturers because fucked if I'm buying your wireless shit again. Should probably avoid HP too.

...On the upside, next time, I know a certain hardware geek who should be easy to prod into making recommendations for everything... :P Would it be bad to give in to the temptation next time of just getting whatever he says? XD

Torvaun

Postby Torvaun » Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:53 am UTC

ameretrifle wrote:Dear Intel wireless software:

Fuck you and your stupid lack of drivers, shutting off my internet, fucking with restarts, swearing you have ~no idea~ what could possibly be wrong, making me deal with goddamn HP update software uninstalling and installing dumb shit I would much rather ignore because the automatic AND manual driver searches on your website bring up nothing. My goddamn piece of shit Compaq was more reliable than this when its goddamn screen was falling off. I sure hope there are a lot of other wifi manufacturers because fucked if I'm buying your wireless shit again. Should probably avoid HP too.

...On the upside, next time, I know a certain hardware geek who should be easy to prod into making recommendations for everything... :P Would it be bad to give in to the temptation next time of just getting whatever he says? XD
You know an expert who will give you an analysis, and you wonder if it's a bad idea to follow it?
Hawknc wrote:I don't know if you've never heard of trolling, or if you're just very good at it.

stevey_frac

Postby stevey_frac » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:46 am UTC

AMD: Get your shit together.

Write a goddamned DirectShow filter that actually works with your acceleration hardware for Fusion.

*grumble*

torontoraptor

Postby torontoraptor » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:05 am UTC

Ikea desks should not take 5 hours to assemble. And why do I have to get a cold NOW??? If I'm still sick during Welcome Week, I'll be very mad at myself.
Promicin wrote:Now if I can just grab on with my tongue-like foot... wait. I am not a mussel.

pseudoidiot wrote:
You, sir, name? wrote:fucking owls is enjoyable.
Someone should sig this

Kang

Postby Kang » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:19 pm UTC

torontoraptor wrote:Ikea desks should not take 5 hours to assemble. And why do I have to get a cold NOW??? If I'm still sick during Welcome Week, I'll be very mad at myself.

How many screws left over?

The EGE
not very good at pickup limes

Postby The EGE » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:45 pm UTC

OH FUCK IT'S A HURRICANE
sillybear25 wrote:But it's NPH, so it's creepy in the best possible way.

Shivahn wrote:I'm in your abstractions, burning your notions of masculinity.

Deva
Has suggestions for the murderers out there.

Postby Deva » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:04 pm UTC

What was your first action: seeking shelter or posting about the hurricane? Please complete the former option if you have not yet.
Changes its form depending on the observer.

The EGE

Postby The EGE » Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:26 am UTC

It's not expected to hit for two more days. But this area doesn't get hurricanes much.

RoadieRich
The Black Hand

Postby RoadieRich » Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:48 am UTC

Who is this riff by? (Answer in spoiler)
piano.mp3
(140.43 KiB) Downloaded 76 times

Spoiler:
No, the answer is not 2pac. It was The Way It Is by Bruce Hornsby, which was sampled by Tupac for Changes (trigger warning for contemplating suicide on that song's lyrics, btw).
73, de KE8BSL loc EN26.

Gears
Bulletproof

Postby Gears » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:54 am UTC

Great day I had. Got an assignment that takes at least 3 days to do assigned to be finished in an hour, specifically my lunch hour. Then someone dropped my brand new phone on the concrete floor, shattering it, of course they didn't let me know. I have to stand watch over something all night after the same last night (yay no sleep) and were going to get hit by a typhoon which fits nicely in my 4 day weekend i have coming up.
General_Norris wrote:I notice a lack of counter-arguments and a lot of fisting.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:57 am UTC

I bloody love Tupac!

Hornsby, eh? Now I know, whenever Image plays that goddamned song (which is roughly three times per day) comes on, I can slam my fist down on the off button and scream, Superintendent Chalmers-like, "HORRRRNSBY!"

Another thing that annoys me about radiomo station DJs is their inability to tell you the song they just played/are about to play. I don't have Shazam capabilities when I'm driving!!
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

gorcee

Postby gorcee » Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:50 pm UTC

Touchpads are the stupidest fucking things ever. Seriously, who thought this shit up. I KNOW, LETS PUT A TOUCH SENSITIVE CONTROLLER RIGHT UNDER WHERE YOUR PALMS WILL BE.

Seriously, why don't more laptops have the little nipple-input that Thinkpads have. It's 90239209348923847293478 times more convenient. You don't hit it accidentally, you don't have to turn it on and off, and you never have to move your hands from the keyboard for anything.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:54 pm UTC

I like the touchpads that you can do multiple commands on with touch gestures - two-finger scrolling, sweeping, etc. The clit mouses are good at moving the arrow around, but not terribly versatile with other gestures, I think.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:59 pm UTC

I only use the touchpad in cold areas just so my fingers get warmed by my overheating laptop.

The EGE

Postby The EGE » Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:02 pm UTC

My new one does the weird stuff. It's pretty annoying when accidental.

emceng

Postby emceng » Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:12 pm UTC

I turned off the touchpad on my laptop because of that. I dislike the mouse movement using it, so would always use the nub thing. So I would be hitting mouse buttons or moving the mouse with my palm.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:40 pm UTC

The touchpad messes me up in games all the time. I'll be walking along and my left hand moves too far right and DERPDERP I fire a rocket at the wall in front of me and kill myself.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:53 pm UTC

Can you not disable it? I've never had a laptop where I couldn't disable the touchpad?

I really like the one I have now -- it actually has a button by the touchpad I can use to toggle the touchpad on/off.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

Garm

Postby Garm » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:21 pm UTC

Touchpads are really super annoying, it's true.
Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
- JFK

jawdisorder

Postby jawdisorder » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:23 pm UTC

I feel like I've seen a setting somewhere to disable to touchpad while the keyboard is in use.

existentialpanda

Postby existentialpanda » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:16 pm UTC

This is why touchscreens are the most awesome invention.

Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.

Postby Yakk » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:41 pm UTC

If your problem with touchpads is that they get in the way of keyboard use, then touchscreens get in the way even more. Because devices with touchscreens mean you have to carry around a separate keyboard if you want to use a keyboard. A separate keyboard would solve any touchpad issues as well.

Thus, touchscreens < touchpads.

I'm here all day.
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

Last edited by JHVH on Fri Oct 23, 4004 BCE 6:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Garm

Postby Garm » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:02 pm UTC

Yakk wrote:If your problem with touchpads is that they get in the way of keyboard use, then touchscreens get in the way even more. Because devices with touchscreens mean you have to carry around a separate keyboard if you want to use a keyboard. A separate keyboard would solve any touchpad issues as well.

Thus, touchscreens < touchpads.

I'm here all day.

Hey, stop pointing out the deficiencies in my biases.
Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
- JFK

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:56 pm UTC

pseudoidiot wrote:Can you not disable it? I've never had a laptop where I couldn't disable the touchpad?

I really like the one I have now -- it actually has a button by the touchpad I can use to toggle the touchpad on/off.

Well I could, but I need a mouse to do it. And if my mouse breaks I won't be able to turn it back on. Or at least learn how to navigate the control panel with the keyboard.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

Kang

Postby Kang » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:03 pm UTC

Have you considered buying a new mouse when your mouse breaks?

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:10 pm UTC

...There are such things as important, time-constrained tasks to do on the computer that would get done much faster wading through touchpad use than if I took the time to go to the store.

Kang

Postby Kang » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:19 pm UTC

While I do see your point and can't remember ever having a laptop that wouldn't have a keyboard combination for activating the touchpad, I'd like to argue that the answer is 'stockpiling'.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:39 pm UTC

In my experience mice have broken without even being used.

adho

Postby adho » Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:01 am UTC

The Scyphozoa wrote:In my experience mice have broken without even being used.

This confused the shit out of me when I read it out of context.
That's really all I have to say.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:28 am UTC

The touchpad on my mac seems to know when it's my palm and doesn't react to it - but then again, my palms tend to be on either side of it.

ON THE OTHER HAND

The outer edge of the aluminum thing is sharp. It's a right angle, and while it looks good in pictures, a part of my arms tend to rest there and they hurt. I grew into a new position that doesn't cause this, but it's still annoying.
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

Like The Wind

Postby Like The Wind » Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:29 pm UTC

adho wrote:
The Scyphozoa wrote:In my experience mice have broken without even being used.

This confused the shit out of me when I read it out of context.
That's really all I have to say.

My SO once informed airport security of the mouse he was transporting in one of his boots (in his hand luggage).

This caused some of that same confusion!

Return to “General”