Hype your ripe snipes 'n' gripes

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

User avatar
Magnanimous
Madmanananimous
Posts: 3491
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:11 pm UTC
Location: Land of Hipsters and Rain (LOHAR)

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Magnanimous » Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:06 am UTC


User avatar
podbaydoor
Posts: 7548
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:16 am UTC
Location: spaceship somewhere out there

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby podbaydoor » Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:16 am UTC

Fuck. I thought I was more mature than this.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

User avatar
superglucose
hermaj's new favourite
Posts: 2353
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:59 am UTC
Location: Domain of Azura
Contact:

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby superglucose » Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:37 am UTC

God damn I'm stuck in a party with two of the thickest MORONS who ever walked the earth.

Excuse me: trigger warning
Spoiler:
"It looks like a protection racket."

"But then why would they have taken the girl to another village?"

I DON'T KNOW. MAYBE, JUST MAYBE, THEY AREN'T OK WITH MURDER? OR MAYBE THEY'RE HOPING THAT THE FAMILY WILL POST A REWARD (WHICH THEY DID) FOR THE SAFE RETURN OF THEIR DAUGHTER AND THEY CAN DOUBLE DIP? HOW ARE YOU ALL THIS FUCKING STUPID?

To top it off my friend just blew up on me in a repeat of the whole "I'm going to treat you like a boyfriend even though we're not dating and I'm not interested in you" fiasco of yesteryear and I took it out a bit on the girl I'm very HEAVILY interested in now.

Today.

Fucking.

Sucks.

*shoots self in head*
Last edited by superglucose on Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:42 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Image

User avatar
Kewangji
Has Been Touched
Posts: 2253
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:20 pm UTC
Location: Lost in Translation
Contact:

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Kewangji » Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:38 am UTC

^ Trigger Warning
If you like my words sign up for my newsletter, Airport Tattoo Parlour: https://tinyletter.com/distantstations

The Great Hippo wrote:Nuclear bombs are like potato chips, you can't stop after just *one*

User avatar
Kewangji
Has Been Touched
Posts: 2253
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:20 pm UTC
Location: Lost in Translation
Contact:

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Kewangji » Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:38 am UTC

^ Trigger Warning

(also, down there V is an uneditable post I refuse to delete)

I see you spoilered it. Thank you.
Last edited by Kewangji on Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:45 am UTC, edited 3 times in total.
If you like my words sign up for my newsletter, Airport Tattoo Parlour: https://tinyletter.com/distantstations

The Great Hippo wrote:Nuclear bombs are like potato chips, you can't stop after just *one*

NotlimTheGreat
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:06 am UTC

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby NotlimTheGreat » Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:52 pm UTC

setzer777 wrote:Rant: I'm sick of how much shit people give me about not voting.

It isn't that I don't think my vote would make a difference. It's that the difference is so minuscule relative to the amount of time and effort required to have a truly informed political opinion, that by my cost-benefit analysis it isn't worth my time. I'd rather leave voting to those who actually have a passion for following politics (or at least find it stimulating and a pleasant use of their time).

Obviously a lot of people will simply vote uninformed, but I don't personally feel a responsibility to try to cancel them out by spending a lot of time doing something I don't enjoy.


I agree completely. I would never vote on something unless I feel informed enough that i will make the right decision in my mind. I don't give a shit if I will make a difference-If i make the wrong difference how is that good?

User avatar
Kang
Posts: 722
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:30 pm UTC

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Kang » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:10 pm UTC

Well, not voting is a decision, too, isn't it? I don't think the downward trend in turnout observed in many countries is actually people just being lazy or not caring. Might be a factor, but I'm convinced that many people are actually not voting for the reason this very valid option is there to begin with: «None of the candidates convinced me of their programme.»
Not voting does not necessarily mean one doesn't appreciate the right to vote or those who brought forth the struggle making that right a reality. Still every vote counts somehow (at least I got as much optimism left as to think that...), so by all means use that right if you want to; it's not like you had to defend proper reasons for your decision.

User avatar
superglucose
hermaj's new favourite
Posts: 2353
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:59 am UTC
Location: Domain of Azura
Contact:

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby superglucose » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:15 pm UTC

I choose to not vote in protest of the poor system.
Image

User avatar
Armadillo Al
Posts: 934
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:17 pm UTC
Location: Illinois

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Armadillo Al » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:11 pm UTC

Kang wrote: Might be a factor, but I'm convinced that many people are actually not voting for the reason this very valid option is there to begin with: «None of the candidates convinced me of their programme.»[/cite]

Actually, I don't believe for a second that any candidate will actually stand up for their campaign promises, they'll just go along with whatever garbage their party forces upon them.
Compiling.. wrote:xkcd... where EVERYONE loves EVERYONE...

User avatar
ameretrifle
Vera
Posts: 814
Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:32 am UTC
Location: Canada (the flat bit)

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby ameretrifle » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:56 am UTC

Dear Intel wireless software:

Fuck you and your stupid lack of drivers, shutting off my internet, fucking with restarts, swearing you have ~no idea~ what could possibly be wrong, making me deal with goddamn HP update software uninstalling and installing dumb shit I would much rather ignore because the automatic AND manual driver searches on your website bring up nothing. My goddamn piece of shit Compaq was more reliable than this when its goddamn screen was falling off. I sure hope there are a lot of other wifi manufacturers because fucked if I'm buying your wireless shit again. Should probably avoid HP too.

...On the upside, next time, I know a certain hardware geek who should be easy to prod into making recommendations for everything... :P Would it be bad to give in to the temptation next time of just getting whatever he says? XD

User avatar
Torvaun
Posts: 2615
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:23 pm UTC
Location: 47°9′S, 126°43′W
Contact:

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Torvaun » Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:53 am UTC

ameretrifle wrote:Dear Intel wireless software:

Fuck you and your stupid lack of drivers, shutting off my internet, fucking with restarts, swearing you have ~no idea~ what could possibly be wrong, making me deal with goddamn HP update software uninstalling and installing dumb shit I would much rather ignore because the automatic AND manual driver searches on your website bring up nothing. My goddamn piece of shit Compaq was more reliable than this when its goddamn screen was falling off. I sure hope there are a lot of other wifi manufacturers because fucked if I'm buying your wireless shit again. Should probably avoid HP too.

...On the upside, next time, I know a certain hardware geek who should be easy to prod into making recommendations for everything... :P Would it be bad to give in to the temptation next time of just getting whatever he says? XD
You know an expert who will give you an analysis, and you wonder if it's a bad idea to follow it?
Hawknc wrote:I don't know if you've never heard of trolling, or if you're just very good at it.

stevey_frac
Posts: 947
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:27 pm UTC

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby stevey_frac » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:46 am UTC

AMD: Get your shit together.

Write a goddamned DirectShow filter that actually works with your acceleration hardware for Fusion.

*grumble*

User avatar
torontoraptor
Posts: 442
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:58 pm UTC

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby torontoraptor » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:05 am UTC

Ikea desks should not take 5 hours to assemble. And why do I have to get a cold NOW??? If I'm still sick during Welcome Week, I'll be very mad at myself.
Promicin wrote:Now if I can just grab on with my tongue-like foot... wait. I am not a mussel.

pseudoidiot wrote:
You, sir, name? wrote:fucking owls is enjoyable.
Someone should sig this

User avatar
Kang
Posts: 722
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:30 pm UTC

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Kang » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:19 pm UTC

torontoraptor wrote:Ikea desks should not take 5 hours to assemble. And why do I have to get a cold NOW??? If I'm still sick during Welcome Week, I'll be very mad at myself.

How many screws left over?

User avatar
The EGE
not very good at pickup limes
Posts: 1081
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:11 am UTC
Contact:

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby The EGE » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:45 pm UTC

OH FUCK IT'S A HURRICANE
sillybear25 wrote:But it's NPH, so it's creepy in the best possible way.

Shivahn wrote:I'm in your abstractions, burning your notions of masculinity.

User avatar
Deva
Has suggestions for the murderers out there.
Posts: 2038
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:18 am UTC

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Deva » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:04 pm UTC

What was your first action: seeking shelter or posting about the hurricane? Please complete the former option if you have not yet.
Changes its form depending on the observer.

User avatar
The EGE
not very good at pickup limes
Posts: 1081
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:11 am UTC
Contact:

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby The EGE » Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:26 am UTC

It's not expected to hit for two more days. But this area doesn't get hurricanes much.
sillybear25 wrote:But it's NPH, so it's creepy in the best possible way.

Shivahn wrote:I'm in your abstractions, burning your notions of masculinity.

User avatar
RoadieRich
The Black Hand
Posts: 1037
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:40 am UTC
Location: Behind you

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby RoadieRich » Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:48 am UTC

Who is this riff by? (Answer in spoiler)
piano.mp3
(140.43 KiB) Downloaded 76 times

Spoiler:
No, the answer is not 2pac. It was The Way It Is by Bruce Hornsby, which was sampled by Tupac for Changes (trigger warning for contemplating suicide on that song's lyrics, btw).
73, de KE8BSL loc EN26.

User avatar
Gears
Bulletproof
Posts: 1593
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:31 am UTC
Location: Japan

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Gears » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:54 am UTC

Great day I had. Got an assignment that takes at least 3 days to do assigned to be finished in an hour, specifically my lunch hour. Then someone dropped my brand new phone on the concrete floor, shattering it, of course they didn't let me know. I have to stand watch over something all night after the same last night (yay no sleep) and were going to get hit by a typhoon which fits nicely in my 4 day weekend i have coming up.
General_Norris wrote:I notice a lack of counter-arguments and a lot of fisting.

User avatar
Felstaff
Occam's Taser
Posts: 5175
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:10 pm UTC
Location: ¢ ₪ ¿ ¶ § ∴ ® © ™ ؟ ¡ ‽ æ Þ ° ₰ ₤ ಡಢ

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Felstaff » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:57 am UTC

I bloody love Tupac!

Hornsby, eh? Now I know, whenever Image plays that goddamned song (which is roughly three times per day) comes on, I can slam my fist down on the off button and scream, Superintendent Chalmers-like, "HORRRRNSBY!"

Another thing that annoys me about radiomo station DJs is their inability to tell you the song they just played/are about to play. I don't have Shazam capabilities when I'm driving!!
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

gorcee
Posts: 1501
Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:14 am UTC

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby gorcee » Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:50 pm UTC

Touchpads are the stupidest fucking things ever. Seriously, who thought this shit up. I KNOW, LETS PUT A TOUCH SENSITIVE CONTROLLER RIGHT UNDER WHERE YOUR PALMS WILL BE.

Seriously, why don't more laptops have the little nipple-input that Thinkpads have. It's 90239209348923847293478 times more convenient. You don't hit it accidentally, you don't have to turn it on and off, and you never have to move your hands from the keyboard for anything.

User avatar
podbaydoor
Posts: 7548
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:16 am UTC
Location: spaceship somewhere out there

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby podbaydoor » Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:54 pm UTC

I like the touchpads that you can do multiple commands on with touch gestures - two-finger scrolling, sweeping, etc. The clit mouses are good at moving the arrow around, but not terribly versatile with other gestures, I think.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

User avatar
broken_escalator
They're called stairs
Posts: 3312
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:49 am UTC
Location: _| ̄|○

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby broken_escalator » Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:59 pm UTC

I only use the touchpad in cold areas just so my fingers get warmed by my overheating laptop.

User avatar
The EGE
not very good at pickup limes
Posts: 1081
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:11 am UTC
Contact:

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby The EGE » Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:02 pm UTC

My new one does the weird stuff. It's pretty annoying when accidental.
sillybear25 wrote:But it's NPH, so it's creepy in the best possible way.

Shivahn wrote:I'm in your abstractions, burning your notions of masculinity.

User avatar
emceng
Posts: 3167
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 9:38 pm UTC
Location: State of Hockey
Contact:

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby emceng » Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:12 pm UTC

I turned off the touchpad on my laptop because of that. I dislike the mouse movement using it, so would always use the nub thing. So I would be hitting mouse buttons or moving the mouse with my palm.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

User avatar
The Scyphozoa
Posts: 2871
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:33 pm UTC
Location: Sector 5

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby The Scyphozoa » Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:40 pm UTC

The touchpad messes me up in games all the time. I'll be walking along and my left hand moves too far right and DERPDERP I fire a rocket at the wall in front of me and kill myself.
Image
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

User avatar
pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man
Posts: 5100
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:30 pm UTC
Location: Kansas City
Contact:

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby pseudoidiot » Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:53 pm UTC

Can you not disable it? I've never had a laptop where I couldn't disable the touchpad?

I really like the one I have now -- it actually has a button by the touchpad I can use to toggle the touchpad on/off.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

User avatar
Garm
Posts: 2241
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:29 pm UTC
Location: Usually at work. Otherwise, Longmont, CO.

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Garm » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:21 pm UTC

Touchpads are really super annoying, it's true.
Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
- JFK

User avatar
jawdisorder
Posts: 195
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:44 am UTC
Location: Badgerland

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby jawdisorder » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:23 pm UTC

I feel like I've seen a setting somewhere to disable to touchpad while the keyboard is in use.

User avatar
existentialpanda
Posts: 196
Joined: Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:38 am UTC
Location: ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby existentialpanda » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:16 pm UTC

This is why touchscreens are the most awesome invention.

User avatar
Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.
Posts: 11115
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:27 pm UTC
Location: E pur si muove

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Yakk » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:41 pm UTC

If your problem with touchpads is that they get in the way of keyboard use, then touchscreens get in the way even more. Because devices with touchscreens mean you have to carry around a separate keyboard if you want to use a keyboard. A separate keyboard would solve any touchpad issues as well.

Thus, touchscreens < touchpads.

I'm here all day.
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

Last edited by JHVH on Fri Oct 23, 4004 BCE 6:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.

User avatar
Garm
Posts: 2241
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:29 pm UTC
Location: Usually at work. Otherwise, Longmont, CO.

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Garm » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:02 pm UTC

Yakk wrote:If your problem with touchpads is that they get in the way of keyboard use, then touchscreens get in the way even more. Because devices with touchscreens mean you have to carry around a separate keyboard if you want to use a keyboard. A separate keyboard would solve any touchpad issues as well.

Thus, touchscreens < touchpads.

I'm here all day.


Hey, stop pointing out the deficiencies in my biases.
Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
- JFK

User avatar
The Scyphozoa
Posts: 2871
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:33 pm UTC
Location: Sector 5

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby The Scyphozoa » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:56 pm UTC

pseudoidiot wrote:Can you not disable it? I've never had a laptop where I couldn't disable the touchpad?

I really like the one I have now -- it actually has a button by the touchpad I can use to toggle the touchpad on/off.

Well I could, but I need a mouse to do it. And if my mouse breaks I won't be able to turn it back on. Or at least learn how to navigate the control panel with the keyboard.
Image
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

User avatar
Kang
Posts: 722
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:30 pm UTC

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Kang » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:03 pm UTC

Have you considered buying a new mouse when your mouse breaks?

User avatar
The Scyphozoa
Posts: 2871
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:33 pm UTC
Location: Sector 5

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby The Scyphozoa » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:10 pm UTC

...There are such things as important, time-constrained tasks to do on the computer that would get done much faster wading through touchpad use than if I took the time to go to the store.
Image
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

User avatar
Kang
Posts: 722
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:30 pm UTC

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Kang » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:19 pm UTC

While I do see your point and can't remember ever having a laptop that wouldn't have a keyboard combination for activating the touchpad, I'd like to argue that the answer is 'stockpiling'.

User avatar
The Scyphozoa
Posts: 2871
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:33 pm UTC
Location: Sector 5

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby The Scyphozoa » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:39 pm UTC

In my experience mice have broken without even being used.
Image
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

adho
Posts: 139
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:21 am UTC

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby adho » Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:01 am UTC

The Scyphozoa wrote:In my experience mice have broken without even being used.


This confused the shit out of me when I read it out of context.
That's really all I have to say.

User avatar
Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad
Posts: 3038
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:18 pm UTC

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Steax » Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:28 am UTC

The touchpad on my mac seems to know when it's my palm and doesn't react to it - but then again, my palms tend to be on either side of it.

ON THE OTHER HAND

The outer edge of the aluminum thing is sharp. It's a right angle, and while it looks good in pictures, a part of my arms tend to rest there and they hurt. I grew into a new position that doesn't cause this, but it's still annoying.
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

User avatar
Like The Wind
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:44 pm UTC

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Like The Wind » Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:29 pm UTC

adho wrote:
The Scyphozoa wrote:In my experience mice have broken without even being used.


This confused the shit out of me when I read it out of context.
That's really all I have to say.


My SO once informed airport security of the mouse he was transporting in one of his boots (in his hand luggage).

This caused some of that same confusion!


Return to “General”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 24 guests