Blistering blue barnacles

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

roband

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby roband » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:04 pm UTC

I should have left work 35 minutes ago :(

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:56 pm UTC

Project due in 36 hours and my team is gone! Awesome!
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

Triangle_Man
WINNING

Postby Triangle_Man » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:57 am UTC

My ability to write or have any sort of creative thought has been destroyed by me becoming overwhelmed by my inability to keep my personal issues in check.

My brain is so full of shit right now and I need to get it cleared out before I can start writing anything again. Considering that I probably still have some writing contests I can enter, this is something fairly important to me...
I really should be working right now, but somehow I don't have the energy.

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:My moral system allows me to bitch slap you for typing that.

jawdisorder

Postby jawdisorder » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:07 pm UTC

My bike was stolen at some point in the last week while I was off on vacation.

eran_rathan
Mostly Wrong

Postby eran_rathan » Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:42 pm UTC

jawdisorder wrote:My bike was stolen at some point in the last week while I was off on vacation.

bike thieves should be dragged down trails. Rocky, bumpy, fire-ant and yellow-jacket infested trails.

My bike was stolen a few years ago off the back of my car.
"Does this smell like chloroform to you?"
"Google tells me you are not unique. You are, however, wrong."
nɒʜƚɒɿ_nɒɿɘ

modularblues

Postby modularblues » Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:16 am UTC

The paper I submitted to Physical Review B last Friday (I'm co-lead author with 4 other collaborators) just got rejected for no good reason. Basically that editor gave us a giant middle finger.

Spoiler:
Thank you for submitting your work to Physical Review B. The editors
have examined this manuscript and regrettably conclude that it is
unsuitable for our journal. We make no judgment on the correctness of
the work, only on its suitability according to our other criteria.

Physical Review B emphasizes condensed matter and materials physics.
To be publishable here, a manuscript should present significant new
physics or understanding, be of high quality and scientific interest,
be recognized as an important contribution to the literature, and be
of particular interest to our readers.

We think that the present paper does not meet these standards.

It is in the best interest of our referees and authors to engage in
anonymous peer review only when we judge that it is reasonably likely
to lead to publication. We hope that this early assessment encourages
you to improve your paper and allows you to pursue other publication
options with minimal delay. We assess each paper on its own merits and
wish to let you know that this decision does not affect our
consideration of future submissions from you.

It is more appropriate to submit this work to a more specialized
journal.

Yours sincerely,

SUPER FUCKTARD,
Assistant Editor
Physical Review B

Garm

Postby Garm » Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:33 am UTC

eran_rathan wrote:
jawdisorder wrote:My bike was stolen at some point in the last week while I was off on vacation.

bike thieves should be dragged down trails. Rocky, bumpy, fire-ant and yellow-jacket infested trails.

My bike was stolen a few years ago off the back of my car.

Agree with this. Someone stole my super nice mountain bike and my wife's super nice road bike. :(

If you have renters insurance (or home owners insurance if you're fancy) you can make a claim for your bike. We did that and it helped defer the cost for some new bikes. Still sucks tho'. :(
Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
- JFK

jawdisorder

Postby jawdisorder » Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:06 pm UTC

Garm wrote:If you have renters insurance (or home owners insurance if you're fancy) you can make a claim for your bike. We did that and it helped defer the cost for some new bikes. Still sucks tho'. :(

No such luck. Fortunately it's approaching the point where all of the leases on campus turn over so I got a decent bike from someone who's leaving town for reasonably cheep.

maninblack
Location: I'm out of my mind at the moment please leave a message after the beep.

Postby maninblack » Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:30 pm UTC

Seriously?!!???!!??

Your sister is having a rough day, and you suggest a) time to herself or b) visiting you this weekend. Apparently you have forgotten that she is responsible for four kids while I am at work and apparently you have also forgotten about a party she's hosting (that you were invited to ) this weekend.

Wow. I know you're trying to be helpful, but seriously think before you speak please.
addams wrote:It was like a game of Rugby and I was the Puck. Yeah. I was taking a beating and I was in the wrong game.
roband wrote:If this is a serious question, the answer is no.
If it's a philosophical one, I have no idea.

thorgold

Postby thorgold » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:11 pm UTC

It feels like someone took a pair of scissors to my knees and ankles. I love growing, but I hate it at the same time. God damn tendinitis.
You can refuse to think, but you can't refuse the consequences of not thinking.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:03 am UTC

At the moment, the weather here is really hot, which I suppose could well merit a rant of its own, but not right now. I have AC in my room, set to 24.5C, which I turn off when I head out to work (to save energy), and turn back on when I get back from work, then go to the gym for an hour before returning. Once every week my room is cleaned, linen changed, &c. This is awesome, as it's included in the ridiculously low charge for living in my building. Every week, I assume the cleaners do the same as me - they turn the AC on when they come in, then turn it off again when they leave, which is fine. What is not fine is the fact they always wind the temperature waaaay down (this week it was 8C) - sometimes I don't notice that when I come back from work and flick the AC on, and then when I return from the gym, my room is a freezer.

Could someone please tell them that turning the temperature dial down on a thermostatic system won't make it cool down faster. So many people seem to do this: 'Oh, the AirCon hasn't instantly brought the room/car to a reasonable temperature when I set the thermostat to 22? I better wind it down to 10 so it cools faster'. IT DOESN'T WORK THAT WAY.

bluebambue
An der schönen blauen Donau

Postby bluebambue » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:48 am UTC

Unsolicited advice:
Spoiler:
Maybe leave a note asking them to make sure the thermostat is set at your preferred level before they leave? Perhaps also include a tip for them with a note of thanks for past service so that they don't get annoyed at you for being so picky (I don't think you're picky, but you don't want service people pissed off at you)

felltir
has a sniper scope and a trigger finger.

Postby felltir » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:29 am UTC

I am getting over a minor chest infection. I'm really struggling to deal with the fact that if I put weight on my arms, and then happen to sneeze or cough, I'm pretty likely to dislocate one or both shoulders.
Spoiler:
RoadieRich wrote:He's a super flexible furry martial artist from London. She is a Rabbit breeding mad scientist from Michigan. They fight crime!
The Great Hippo wrote:I THINK THE SOLAR SYSTEM MIGHT BE AN ATOM OF OXYGEN.

Blog

he/him/his

Jave D
chavey-dee

Postby Jave D » Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:30 pm UTC

Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. Blah-blah, blah blah blah blah blah blah-blah. BLAH. Blah blah, blah blah blah blah? Blah-blah! Blah blah, blah blah, blah blah blah blah. Blah blah, blah blah, blah blah-blah blah. Blah blah blah? Blah. Blah blah, blah blah blah, blah blah blah blah blah-blah blah blah-blah-blah blah BLAH blah blah! Blah.

thorgold

Postby thorgold » Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:54 am UTC

Eye exam today.
20/30 right eye, 20/40 left eye.
FUCK.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:48 am UTC

I should get my eyes tested. I'm fairly sure I can't see doubleplusgood, and maybe it would also help with my concentration if that were fixed. But I like(d) having good eyesight without needing glasses :|

Dobblesworth
Dobblesworth, here's the title you requested over three years ago. -Banana

Postby Dobblesworth » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:05 am UTC

My bilateral juvenile cata(ph)racts are humoured by your ocular degeneration.

thorgold

Postby thorgold » Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:24 pm UTC

Adacore wrote:I should get my eyes tested. I'm fairly sure I can't see doubleplusgood, and maybe it would also help with my concentration if that were fixed. But I like(d) having good eyesight without needing glasses :|

The thing is, I can't get LASIK or intraocular lenses because teh military doesn't like academy candidates getting eye surgery outside of their healthcare program. I can get it in a decade or so, but until then I'm stuck with glasses.

At least my hearing checks out. Can't hear a mosquito tone in my left ear and tinnitus is annoying, but I'm not doing too badly.

K-R

Postby K-R » Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:57 am UTC

Foxtel changed the channel of the women's basketball gold medal game at the last minute, resulting in me recording several hours of boxing instead. There's a replay in an hour and a half, but I'm currently not getting a signal to my set-top box at all.

Zarq

Postby Zarq » Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:13 am UTC

thorgold wrote:Dear sister: Congratulations, it's your birthday. Enjoy this high-end laptop we got on sale. It's more powerful than any PC we have in the house, since we don't upgrade regularly due to financial issues. Oh, yah, we overlooked those issues to get you this laptop, since you need it for schoolwork and such.

Oh, wait, what's that? The screen's too big and you don't want it? Well I'm sorry that the gift I chose out for your specifically mentioned desires doesn't match your specifications. Weird, given that the computer you normally use has a screen about an inch smaller, but I guess the difference is important to you.

Sure, we can use it as a family computer, now. Wait, you want to go get another laptop that fits you better?
nope.avi

This is not aimed specifically at you, thorgold, but I've been seeing a lot of these kind of rants lately.

People. DO NOT GIVE LAPTOPS AS PRESENTS. Or cell phones. Or tablets. Or really any kind of thing that's expensive and there's a huge variety of. You're not giving these people a gift, you're giving them an obligation. Let's use an analog to explain further. Say I want a puppy. My parents know this and buy me a puppy for Christmas. They do not know what type of puppy I want. I might want one for breeding. Or one for shows. Dog athletics. There are a bazillion criteria. But they buy me one, and then I'm stuck with it. Sure, I might buy another one, but A. what do I need two puppies for and B. my parents will think I'm ungrateful.

I can tell you for sure, if I had been in your sister's situation, I would've been pissy too. Sure, my criteria are probably 'better', but 1. I'm talking in general and 2. screen size matters.
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit

bluebambue
An der schönen blauen Donau

Postby bluebambue » Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:59 am UTC

My parents did it right. My graduation gift was a laptop. They gave me a budget and told me to go shopping.

K-R

Postby K-R » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:11 am UTC

koberulz wrote:Foxtel changed the channel of the women's basketball gold medal game at the last minute, resulting in me recording several hours of boxing instead. There's a replay in an hour and a half, but I'm currently not getting a signal to my set-top box at all.

The outage is set to continue until tomorrow night, by which time all replays of the women's gold medal game will be over, and the men's gold medal game will also be over. Apparently I'm paying money for a service that can go out for 36 hours straight and this is considered reasonable.

Whelan

Postby Whelan » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:35 am UTC

bluebambue wrote:My parents did it right. My graduation gift was a laptop. They gave me a budget and told me to go shopping.

This is how I got both my current laptop, and my current phone.
"I like to be understood whenever I open my mouth; I have a horror of blinding people with science"- Richard Dawkins
Weeks wrote:
TaintedDeity wrote:And all I get is this tame space dragon. Where's my recognition?!
A tame dragon is its own reward.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:57 pm UTC

I'm at an anime convention at Keele University, and everywhere that sells food on campus closes at 6. There's a burger van that opens at 9, but that's a three hour wait, and those burgers aren't exactly... edible. There's a cracking pub at the back of the campus, but it is one hell of a hike and nobody else wants to walk that far, and I'm usually too drunk by this point to drive it (I'm one of the few people with a car). I am dischuffed. Apparently, the local businesses don't like money.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:18 pm UTC

Order in takeaway food?
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.

Postby Yakk » Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:22 pm UTC

Your complaint is that there is no food between 6 am and 9 am? Or 6 pm and 9 pm? :)
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

Last edited by JHVH on Fri Oct 23, 4004 BCE 6:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:25 am UTC

I can't remember the password for my UK work laptop. It makes me change it every 3 months, and I used to keep my UK and Korean work laptops in sync, using variants of the same password for both every time I had to change them, but the last time I used the UK laptop was December last year, which was 3 password changes back, and I don't remember what I was using then. I tried all the things I thought it might be, and I thought of one more idea to try, but if that doesn't work then the thing's basically a brick until I can get back to the UK to sync it up to the corporate network there, which might not be for another 6 months.

Yakk

Postby Yakk » Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:35 am UTC

Is the hard drive encrypted?
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

thorgold

Postby thorgold » Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:07 am UTC

Damn the internet.
Damn humans.
Damn me for taking the flamebait.

I am honestly so angry I would violate every fiber of my moral code, as well as every law regarding torture and murder, in order to destroy the person(s) I'm thinking of. This is the internet, yes, there are trolls. There are flamers. But then again, there are people so radically stupid, hateful, and downright evil that their very existence is a crime that calls for their immediate destruction.

I hate feeling like this, and I hate knowing I'm capable of feeling like this. I'm gonna go beat the shit out of a punching bag to get it out of my system.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:53 am UTC

Yakk wrote:Is the hard drive encrypted?

No, I don't think so (my Korean one is, but not the UK one). Suggestions? I know I could boot it with a memory-stick OS and access the hard drive, but I want to get into the currently installed Windows so I can use it to run Excel on the move. Basically, I just want a password reset, nothing else.

I should probably phone UK IT and ask them, before I do anything random, really.

Yakk

Postby Yakk » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:54 pm UTC

Well, last I looked into it (decades ago), you could boot off a CD/USB stick and replace the security file. Any encrypted data would be lost (because it is encrypted with data from the security file+password), hence the question.

Now I'm far from an expert.

felltir
has a sniper scope and a trigger finger.

Postby felltir » Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:27 pm UTC

Spoiler:
RoadieRich wrote:He's a super flexible furry martial artist from London. She is a Rabbit breeding mad scientist from Michigan. They fight crime!
The Great Hippo wrote:I THINK THE SOLAR SYSTEM MIGHT BE AN ATOM OF OXYGEN.

Blog

he/him/his

Kithplana

Postby Kithplana » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:03 am UTC

If the computer is joined to a domain that probably isn't going to work. You might be able to blank the local admin account password and get in like that, but your domain account won't be reset until it can talk to the mothership. Your best bet in that case would be some kind of VPN connection, and for that you'd have to talk to your IT department.

I'd love to know if I'm wrong about any of this.

torontoraptor

Postby torontoraptor » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:34 am UTC

Definitely call up your IT department. I'm working an IT summer job and I do password resets all the time. It literally takes me about 30 seconds to do, and I can't imagine your IT department will have any more difficulties.

Edit: Pant thread is not Screech thread. Durp.
Promicin wrote:Now if I can just grab on with my tongue-like foot... wait. I am not a mussel.

pseudoidiot wrote:
You, sir, name? wrote:fucking owls is enjoyable.
Someone should sig this

emceng

Postby emceng » Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:48 pm UTC

So apparently the reason I get an email every day at work saying I'm over my email limit is because the limit is 150 MB. That is unreasonably low. Oh well, not like deleting the messages is difficult.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

ahammel
My Little Cabbage

Postby ahammel » Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:50 pm UTC

Spoilered for unsolicited advice:

Spoiler:
I don't suppose setting up gmail forwarding is an option?
He/Him/His/Alex
God damn these electric sex pants!

Link

Postby Link » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:40 am UTC

Dear neighbour,

I do not wish to hear your music while I'm working in the garden, especially when said music sounds like someone using a catapult to fire cats into more cats.

Sincerely,

The guy with a chisel sticking out of his ear

a_fuzzyduck

Postby a_fuzzyduck » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:14 pm UTC

Spoiler:
Dear Neighbour,

One Two Three Four, I declare a loudness war

is how I'd deal with that situation :p
wkw
"GRAPHICS WERE NOT AS GOOD IN THE PAST BUT WE WERE HAPPIER AND MORE INNOCENT THEN" - every retro gaming review, ever

PerchloricAcid

Postby PerchloricAcid » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:01 pm UTC

I should be studying. And I promised my old physics teacher I'd do write some simulation for her. I said it'd be done by yesterday night. I am at the beginning of the beginning of it. :?

Ashlah

Postby Ashlah » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:46 am UTC

That awkward moment when your mom asks you to buy her 50 Shades of Grey for her birthday.

Return to “General”