Hype your ripe snipes 'n' gripes

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Sheikh al-Majaneen
Name Checks Out On Time, Tips Chambermaid
Posts: 1075
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:17 am UTC

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Sheikh al-Majaneen » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:04 am UTC

At my store drink/chips/cookie prices are on the panel above the cash register.

More annoying customer habits:

"What are your five dollar foot longs?"

Under the hand with "$5" inscribed in it

"What is your daily special?"

We don't have those.

At the register, at least once a week
Cashier: What kind of sandwich did you order?
Customer: That one. *points at sandwich*
Cashier: What kind is it?
Customer: A footlong.
Cashier: What kind of sandwich is it?
Customer: It was on wheat bread. *
Cashier: What kind of sandwich did you order? <Read as: I desire to wield the grammar spork** as a weapon against you, though this use is an innovation of purpose>

*I have decided that, whenever this happens to me, I will charge that person for the most expensive sandwich we sell. It has not happened to me since I decided this. Seriously, we already talk loudly at the register to prevent these kinds of things from happening, but they happen anyways.

**Other unintended possible situations for using the grammar spork as a weapon against others: when a customer dumps a full cup in a trash can. When a customer spills their drink all over the floor, and flees in embarrassment without alerting you. When a customer leaves a used condom in the toilet in the bathroom. When you go into the bathroom to clean it, and the floor is covered in pubic hair that had been shaved in that very bathroom. That actually happened.

I have told coworkers that, on the day that I quit, I will spread mayonnaise over the tables and the toilet seats, and fill up the soap dispensers with sweet onion sauce. None of this will happen, of course, but it is fun to think about. It is far more likely that I will be fired for all kinds of talk about how awesome it would be if we were unionizing, even when the cameras are being watched.

Dark Avorian
Posts: 546
Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 10:48 pm UTC

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Dark Avorian » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:05 am UTC

Sheikh al-Majaneen wrote:
At the register, at least once a week
Cashier: What kind of sandwich did you order?
Customer: That one. *points at sandwich*
Cashier: What kind is it?
Customer: A footlong.
Cashier: What kind of sandwich is it?
Customer: It was on wheat bread. *
Cashier: What kind of sandwich did you order? <Read as: I desire to wield the grammar spork** as a weapon against you, though this use is an innovation of purpose>

The proper response being? I know absolutely nothing about sandwiches and thus despise going to Subwayish places because I have no idea what I'm sposed to do.
The 62-foot tall statue of Jesus constructed out of styrofoam, wood and fiberglass resin caught on fire after the right hand of the statue was struck by lightning.


meatyochre wrote:And yea, verily the forums crowd spake: "Teehee!"

User avatar
Whelan
Posts: 2214
Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:16 pm UTC
Location: Londonshire.

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Whelan » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:06 am UTC

I once worked a day on my own that took over £800 through my (the only) till. This was while I was serving, cooking, cleaning, doing food hygiene paperwork, ordering tomorrows stock and making drinks.
"I like to be understood whenever I open my mouth; I have a horror of blinding people with science"- Richard Dawkins
Weeks wrote:
TaintedDeity wrote:And all I get is this tame space dragon. Where's my recognition?!
A tame dragon is its own reward.

User avatar
poxic
Eloquently Prismatic
Posts: 4751
Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:28 am UTC
Location: Left coast of Canada

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby poxic » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:09 am UTC

Prompting with suitable answers can help when a person is stuck in "huh?" mode. (I get stuck in "huh?" mode from time to time. It's retroactively embarrassing.)

Sheikh: What kind of sandwich did you order?
Person: That kind.
Sheikh: OK, was it a veggie sub? A meatball sub? Rubber chicken with Jell-O?
Person: Oh, it was a truck tire on ciabatta.
Sheikh: Got it, thanks.
In everyone's life, at some time, our inner fire goes out. It is then burst into flame by an encounter with another human being. We should all be thankful for those people who rekindle the inner spirit.
- Albert Schweitzer, philosopher, physician, musician, Nobel laureate (14 Jan 1875-1965)

Dark Avorian
Posts: 546
Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 10:48 pm UTC

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Dark Avorian » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:12 am UTC

Also, I go to subway all of once a year, so I literally have no fucking clue what any of the various and sundry toppings I can order are. Thus telling me to know what I want before I get there is kind of pointless.
The 62-foot tall statue of Jesus constructed out of styrofoam, wood and fiberglass resin caught on fire after the right hand of the statue was struck by lightning.


meatyochre wrote:And yea, verily the forums crowd spake: "Teehee!"

User avatar
yurell
Posts: 2924
Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:19 am UTC
Location: Australia!

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby yurell » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:10 am UTC

Whenever I go to Subway I make a custom order, and I can rarely remember what kind of meat it is.
cemper93 wrote:Dude, I just presented an elaborate multiple fraction in Comic Sans. Who are you to question me?


Pronouns: Feminine pronouns please!

User avatar
Eseell
Posts: 789
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:58 am UTC
Location: WA

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Eseell » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:16 am UTC

The way I read it, he was asking because the customer and sandwich are at the register and the sandwich is wrapped, and thus its nature is unknowable to the cashier. Knowing that it's a "footlong on wheat" is not enough information for the cashier to ring up the order.
"Math is hard work and it occupies your mind -- and it doesn't hurt to learn all you can of it, no matter what rank you are; everything of any importance is founded on mathematics." - Robert A. Heinlein

User avatar
SecondTalon
SexyTalon
Posts: 26510
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 2:10 pm UTC
Location: Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Mars. HA!
Contact:

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:19 am UTC

Dark Avorian wrote:Also, I go to subway all of once a year, so I literally have no fucking clue what any of the various and sundry toppings I can order are. Thus telling me to know what I want before I get there is kind of pointless.

I believe the notion is not to figure it out before you get there, but to figure it out before you talk to an employee behind the counter. I've yet to be in a Subway or other "add whatever extra crap you want from our spread of extra crap" place yet where you couldn't wander a bit, peek through people if need be and figure out what's in the bins. As for the primary ingredient of the sandwich as well as the breadtype, that should be on the board.

.... though motherfucking fast food joints fucking LOVE hiding the goddamn "A drink costs this much" menu on the inside.


Also, what Poxic said. Half the time when I'm asked a question, despite knowing precisely the individual words spoken and what they can mean in certain contexts, I often have no idea what the hell they're actually asking. Half of that time it's due to my mind blanking and not comprehending... and the other half of that time it's because the question is either so jargon filled that the contexts I can come up with mean nothing in this situation, or because the employee is asking a question that isn't the right question for me.

"What kind of sandwich" to me is more of a question about the bread than it is about the primary ingredient. But that's because I fucking love grain.

I. Fucking. LOVE. Grain.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

elminster
Posts: 1560
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:56 pm UTC
Location: London, UK, Dimensions 1 to 42.
Contact:

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby elminster » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:03 am UTC

I do like subway as far as fast food goes, but generally I just stand back and look at the menu. Same with everywhere really. Although not everywhere puts up things they serve in the clearest most unambiguous manner

Menacing Spike wrote:
elminster wrote: I share a house and no one knows how to maintain anything despite me telling them*
[url= a case of this?[/url]
*was meant to add "how to".
I kinda wish it was. I have lower standards with regards to cleaning as it's not actually that functional to keep things very clean. In fact I'm extremely apathetic in general (I really don't care as much as post would have you believe, relative to if it was said from someone else anyway) .
However, I'm the kind of person to read the manual. It's more the idea that I see several different people struggle and complain about the same thing, yet, combined, are unable to solve the simple problem that has a 4 step guide written on the thing they're fixing. This case is more obviously people just being stupid.

Although part of being apathetic means I'd do it anyway because it's WAY easier for me to do alone than to even consider talking to people about. People in general seem to be shit at doing things.
If there's one thing they should be teaching in school is how to use a search engine and evaluating the validity of the information.

I find it really depressing that "The average person" is such a low standard. It irks me when someone actually congratulates me for doing something moderate at best. Even though they might not think it, it's patronising to consider simple tasks as an achievement. Like... shit, what kind of retarded people have you been talking to where these things are actually achievements. Suggestions for simple things as well... as if I haven't already thought about it.
And "You think too much" is never a good thing to say. If anything it's insulting to the person saying it. Like solving chess computationally, it's possible to go too deep in the tree of possibilities or too broad, but pruning the tree effectively is quite important to optimally solving it; similarly with thought processes. Also, you can't really compare a thought pattern if someone is able to quickly analyse further possibilities at a rate that someone else would be unable to do, hence perceive it as too time consuming.

Then again, if you could quickly gain complete understanding of someone mindset, it would make it a lot easier to explain things. Especially true when someone really doesn't think like the vast majority of people they know.

I'll quickly stop myself here spent far too many days (cumulative time) on posts I don't actually post. I lurk harder than post count would suggest.
Image

Sheikh al-Majaneen
Name Checks Out On Time, Tips Chambermaid
Posts: 1075
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:17 am UTC

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Sheikh al-Majaneen » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:38 am UTC

poxic wrote:Prompting with suitable answers can help when a person is stuck in "huh?" mode. (I get stuck in "huh?" mode from time to time. It's retroactively embarrassing.)

Sheikh: What kind of sandwich did you order?
Person: That kind.
Sheikh: OK, was it a veggie sub? A meatball sub? Rubber chicken with Jell-O?
Person: Oh, it was a truck tire on ciabatta.
Sheikh: Got it, thanks.

I tried that once (without rubber chicken on jello). The answer was "no", and he was uncomfortable with the question. Really helpful, lol.

It is easy to commiserate with customers on rising prices. It is not easy when they blame us employees. I told a customer who brought exact change for the old price straight up after he got to the register, as if I had power to do something about it (I didn't, and was straight with him on my powerlessness in the matter), "if it makes you feel any better, not one of us saw a penny of the price hike". He shut his mouth. Then he stood there for another two minutes, waiting for me to give him change I didn't have. And it was the middle of the lunch rush. Not that I didn't understand his pain, but when I can't do something, that isn't a coded phrase for "I can do something". Note, the guy in line behind him gave him the quarter he needed. And I did not think to put the remaining total on my card. Lesson: don't bring exact change. Plan for prices to be higher than you expect, by a lot. This is a year where people are buying shitloads of guns in preparation for civil war and expecting trillion dollar coins to be minted, business owners are going to raise their prices in preparation for hyperinflation which probably won't happen and you will not even see it coming. And if hyperinflation does happen (because politicians playing chicken with the economy), they will probably maintain the federal minimum wage at $7.25. Hey, it will reduce unemployment!

I'm enjoying this rant thread. I have all this rage towards the madness of the world that I've kept bottled up, and it is nice to have a vent. Should probably stop, though.

User avatar
Magnanimous
Madmanananimous
Posts: 3491
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:11 pm UTC
Location: Land of Hipsters and Rain (LOHAR)

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Magnanimous » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:28 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:I. Fucking. LOVE. Grain.

We should play Catan sometime.

User avatar
Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad
Posts: 3038
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:18 pm UTC

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Steax » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:50 am UTC

I might (to an extent) be part of the unintentional sub-group of the people Sheikh al-Majaneen is ranting about.

I'm really embarrassed about making mistakes or being slow or not knowing the "norm", so I tend to ask a lot of questions. The first time I had to fly alone, I asked, in a huge rush, the check-in desk about where I'm supposed to go from there. Seriously, that kind of thing seems to be left to "common knowledge". If I were a guy from a farm somewhere and I were flying for the first time ever, I'd have absolutely zero clues how it's supposed to work. I wouldn't even know why I need a ticket to get to the checkin tables (where do I get tickets then?) or why my suitcase has to go in baggage.

That still applies to me, especially in foreign (and stricter) environments, where not knowing the norm could literally get someone stranded in the middle of nowhere. I don't always know how a restaurant operates, either - some of them are quirky, and sometimes I genuinely have no clue if a certain food is what I imagine it to be. And sometimes I honestly can't find that price tag or side menu list - those restaurant menu screens can get very cluttered with various deals, promotions, kids toys and whatnot.

I do try very hard to not be sir obnoxious buyer, so sometimes I'll even do stupid things like feign a text message as I stand near the cashier so I can watch how other customers order, or spend longer trying to make sense of that menu. Sometimes I do feel a good chunk of the blame lies of bad customer experience and bad information design (dear airports: I hate you if you don't update those baggage conveyer screens). But yeah, I can imagine being on the other side of the service can be equally irritating when people do that. I'm so anxious about being part of that group that I try really hard not be part of it.
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

User avatar
Zarq
Posts: 1993
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:29 pm UTC
Location: Third Rock from Earth's Yellow Sun

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Zarq » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:26 am UTC

Sheikh al-Majaneen wrote:
poxic wrote:Prompting with suitable answers can help when a person is stuck in "huh?" mode. (I get stuck in "huh?" mode from time to time. It's retroactively embarrassing.)

Sheikh: What kind of sandwich did you order?
Person: That kind.
Sheikh: OK, was it a veggie sub? A meatball sub? Rubber chicken with Jell-O?
Person: Oh, it was a truck tire on ciabatta.
Sheikh: Got it, thanks.

I tried that once (without rubber chicken on jello). The answer was "no", and he was uncomfortable with the question. Really helpful, lol.


Isn't the most logical question here "What's on the sandwich?"?
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit

Sheikh al-Majaneen
Name Checks Out On Time, Tips Chambermaid
Posts: 1075
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:17 am UTC

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Sheikh al-Majaneen » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:56 pm UTC

Steax: Most of us do not mind being asked questions* (at least here in the US, I do not know how employees in restaurants in Indonesia feel about questions). It is an improvement over having to guess what a customer wants.

*One exception being the old man who asked me why I was so tired, why in his day he could work all day fifteen miles uphill both ways (these details were not what he said) and still be full of energy. I really wanted to tell him that he overstepped the boundaries of propriety. Instead I tried to explain away.

A couple weeks ago, I overheard a male customer telling one of my female coworkers to smile. I enjoy witnessing such backwardness (seriously who does that), it gave me a good laugh. She brushed it off though, as such overstepping the bounds of propriety had probably lost its novelty a long time ago.

User avatar
SecondTalon
SexyTalon
Posts: 26510
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 2:10 pm UTC
Location: Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Mars. HA!
Contact:

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:16 pm UTC

Sheikh al-Majaneen wrote:A couple weeks ago, I overheard a male customer telling one of my female coworkers to smile. I enjoy witnessing such backwardness (seriously who does that), it gave me a good laugh.
A lot of people still do that.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

JudeMorrigan
Posts: 1264
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:26 pm UTC

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby JudeMorrigan » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:35 pm UTC

Zarq wrote:
Sheikh al-Majaneen wrote:
poxic wrote:Prompting with suitable answers can help when a person is stuck in "huh?" mode. (I get stuck in "huh?" mode from time to time. It's retroactively embarrassing.)

Sheikh: What kind of sandwich did you order?
Person: That kind.
Sheikh: OK, was it a veggie sub? A meatball sub? Rubber chicken with Jell-O?
Person: Oh, it was a truck tire on ciabatta.
Sheikh: Got it, thanks.

I tried that once (without rubber chicken on jello). The answer was "no", and he was uncomfortable with the question. Really helpful, lol.

Isn't the most logical question here "What's on the sandwich?"?

The problem is, there's an awful lot that you can put on the sandwich that is irrelavent to the price. (And hence, to the cashier's question.) If I go to subway and order a BMT, the cashier doesn't want to hear that I put lettuce and mayo and pickles and so on and so forth on it. They want to know that I ordered a BMT. And I had to tell the person that made the sandwich that I wanted a BMT, so it isn't as if that should be a complete mystery to me.

Роберт
Posts: 4285
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 1:56 am UTC

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Роберт » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:39 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
Sheikh al-Majaneen wrote:A couple weeks ago, I overheard a male customer telling one of my female coworkers to smile. I enjoy witnessing such backwardness (seriously who does that), it gave me a good laugh.
A lot of people still do that.

Creepy.
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

User avatar
freezeblade
Posts: 1388
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:11 pm UTC
Location: Oakland

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby freezeblade » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:11 pm UTC

Sheikh al-Majaneen wrote:If you decide to talk on your phone when you reach the counter, and you are not trying to take somebody's order, do not get angry when we walk away or take the order of the person in line after you.

Do not decide what you want only when you get to the counter. There is a menu you can read while waiting to help you decide what you want.


I worked at Starbucks for a while, and these two things are what bugged me the most. That and people who knew how to game the system, that no matter what, if you make a big enough scene, you'll get free stuff, even if the customer is wrong (I hate that customer is always right nonsence. Because no, they aren't always god-damn right)

Seriously, they wait in line for 10 mins, get to the counter and say "I'll have aaaaaaaa..........." As others in line are getting cross at them, then take it out on the barista. :x

(Leadup: Big line, busy part of day)
Barista: welcome to starbucks, what can I get for you today?
customer on phone: *holds up a finger signaling "wait a minute" Yakking the whole time*
Barista: *after a moment* Miss/Sir?
customer: *looking annoyed, mouths "HOLD ON!*
Barista: Miss/Sir, If the call is important, you can step to the side and I can get the next customer.
Customer: *very annoyed, hangs up* Excuse ME! I'll have a (very long, complicated, high maintance order)
(After: No tip, no thank you, possibly rude to person on bar, making them remake it as "payback.")

This happened at least once every two days. I don't get it. I just want to tell them to go fuck themlselves with a cactus.

Great little starbucks story on losing faith in humanity:
(Leadup: 5 mins from closing time, getting ready to shut down all the machines, most of the coffee's been dumped at this point and urns have been cleaned, so only bar drinks, no drip coffee. Also, it should be noted that the customer in question had no accent, and had perfect sounding english, so language wasn't the barrier here)
Customer: *Walks in with possible girlfriend, possible tourist, at least, not from this area. Stares at menu*
Me: Good evening! When you're all ready to order or have any questions, let me know. *Continues closing duties near registers*
Customer: *After about 4 minutes, now 1 min to closing* Uhhh.....I'll have a french vanilla (Note: not on menu, never has been)
Me: A french vanilla? Is that a latte, coffee, frappicinno...We also don't have french vanilla syrup, however I can approximate it (mix hazelnut/vanilla)
Customer: Hot...french vanilla.
Me: Hm, so we can't do a drip coffee at the moment, as it's closing time, but I can do an Americano or a latte with flavored syrup, would you like it milky? sweet?
Customer: Uhhhhhh...french vanilla. milk.
Me: Ok. so a latte? No problem, and what size will that be today?
Customer: That one *does not point or gesture*
Me: We have Small, Medium, or Large *Points to all three sizes* (note: we aren't susposed to call them that, but I decided it'd be better not to further confuse him)
Customer: That one *again, did not gesture*
Me: Sorry, which one?
Customer: The one you just said! *starts to look annoyed, girlfriend giggles*
Me: I just said three different sizes.
*Manager On Duty Walks over at this point, picks up a grande (medium) cup at this point* "How about a medium? will that do?"
*MOD nods at customer slowly, doesn't wait for a reply, takes the cup over to the bar to make the drink.* "[Freezeblade] here will ring you up."
Me: Ok, that's a medium french vanilla latte (not susposed to do this, really would be a Grande three-pump vanilla, 1-pump hazelnut latte) That'll be [price] for you today.
*Customer Pays, gets his drink, we close up the rest of the store.*
Customer: So, are you guys from like...Canada?
(Note: This is 7:30pm in Downtown Oakland. It gets really sketchy out there this time of night, so what this (white, obviously tourist) guy was doing in that neighborhood with his girl, at this time of night, is still a total mystery to me)
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

User avatar
Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad
Posts: 3038
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:18 pm UTC

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Steax » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:58 am UTC

Sheikh al-Majaneen wrote:Steax: Most of us do not mind being asked questions* (at least here in the US, I do not know how employees in restaurants in Indonesia feel about questions). It is an improvement over having to guess what a customer wants.


The last time I went to the states, I dropped by at a chain eatery (can't remember what it was called, given I was asleep in the car due to terrible jet lag before and after the meal) and I tried asking if they had a plain hamburger for my cousin who hates cheese - there was only a cheeseburger on the menu. He gave me a very condescending look and said "of course we do". I thought the question would be enough to imply that I wanted one if it existed, or to be told if it didn't. Of course, that was just a single case (the rest of the trip went by without incident, and holy crap the Google campus has TONS OF CANDY) but it did leave a mark.
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

Роберт
Posts: 4285
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 1:56 am UTC

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Роберт » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:53 pm UTC

freezeblade wrote:
Sheikh al-Majaneen wrote:If you decide to talk on your phone when you reach the counter, and you are not trying to take somebody's order, do not get angry when we walk away or take the order of the person in line after you.

Do not decide what you want only when you get to the counter. There is a menu you can read while waiting to help you decide what you want.


I worked at Starbucks for a while, and these two things are what bugged me the most. That and people who knew how to game the system, that no matter what, if you make a big enough scene, you'll get free stuff, even if the customer is wrong (I hate that customer is always right nonsence. Because no, they aren't always god-damn right)

Seriously, they wait in line for 10 mins, get to the counter and say "I'll have aaaaaaaa..........." As others in line are getting cross at them, then take it out on the barista. :x

(Leadup: Big line, busy part of day)
Barista: welcome to starbucks, what can I get for you today?
customer on phone: *holds up a finger signaling "wait a minute" Yakking the whole time*
Barista: *after a moment* Miss/Sir?
customer: *looking annoyed, mouths "HOLD ON!*
Barista: Miss/Sir, If the call is important, you can step to the side and I can get the next customer.
Customer: *very annoyed, hangs up* Excuse ME! I'll have a (very long, complicated, high maintance order)
(After: No tip, no thank you, possibly rude to person on bar, making them remake it as "payback.")

This happened at least once every two days. I don't get it. I just want to tell them to go fuck themlselves with a cactus.

Great little starbucks story on losing faith in humanity:
(Leadup: 5 mins from closing time, getting ready to shut down all the machines, most of the coffee's been dumped at this point and urns have been cleaned, so only bar drinks, no drip coffee. Also, it should be noted that the customer in question had no accent, and had perfect sounding english, so language wasn't the barrier here)
Customer: *Walks in with possible girlfriend, possible tourist, at least, not from this area. Stares at menu*
Me: Good evening! When you're all ready to order or have any questions, let me know. *Continues closing duties near registers*
Customer: *After about 4 minutes, now 1 min to closing* Uhhh.....I'll have a french vanilla (Note: not on menu, never has been)
Me: A french vanilla? Is that a latte, coffee, frappicinno...We also don't have french vanilla syrup, however I can approximate it (mix hazelnut/vanilla)
Customer: Hot...french vanilla.
Me: Hm, so we can't do a drip coffee at the moment, as it's closing time, but I can do an Americano or a latte with flavored syrup, would you like it milky? sweet?
Customer: Uhhhhhh...french vanilla. milk.
Me: Ok. so a latte? No problem, and what size will that be today?
Customer: That one *does not point or gesture*
Me: We have Small, Medium, or Large *Points to all three sizes* (note: we aren't susposed to call them that, but I decided it'd be better not to further confuse him)
Customer: That one *again, did not gesture*
Me: Sorry, which one?
Customer: The one you just said! *starts to look annoyed, girlfriend giggles*
Me: I just said three different sizes.
*Manager On Duty Walks over at this point, picks up a grande (medium) cup at this point* "How about a medium? will that do?"
*MOD nods at customer slowly, doesn't wait for a reply, takes the cup over to the bar to make the drink.* "[Freezeblade] here will ring you up."
Me: Ok, that's a medium french vanilla latte (not susposed to do this, really would be a Grande three-pump vanilla, 1-pump hazelnut latte) That'll be [price] for you today.
*Customer Pays, gets his drink, we close up the rest of the store.*
Customer: So, are you guys from like...Canada?
(Note: This is 7:30pm in Downtown Oakland. It gets really sketchy out there this time of night, so what this (white, obviously tourist) guy was doing in that neighborhood with his girl, at this time of night, is still a total mystery to me)
Sounds like he has some mental issues but is making the most of it. I'm glad his GF was supportive.
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

User avatar
Ashlah
Posts: 650
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:31 pm UTC

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Ashlah » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:08 pm UTC

Bought a fiance a surprise engagement ring online. It's way too big. Like, maybe it'll fit his thumb big. Can't really be re-sized much, if at all, because it's wood. Can't be returned because it's custom made. Do I try to resell it on ebay for the $200 I paid? Do I buy a new ring in the meantime hoping I'll be able to recoup my losses? Do I give up the surprise element so he can get properly sized to ensure this doesn't happen again? I don't want to wait weeks longer to give it to him. This sucks. All because I used a faulty online sizing chart and didn't bother to verify with a second one.

User avatar
bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title
Posts: 7461
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:29 pm UTC
Location: Airstrip One

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby bigglesworth » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:13 pm UTC

Could a lacquer or something be applied to the interior, making it the right size?
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

User avatar
Menacing Spike
Posts: 2982
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:25 pm UTC
Location: Fighting the Zombie.

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Menacing Spike » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:15 pm UTC

Ashlah wrote:Bought a fiance a surprise engagement ring online. It's way too big. Like, maybe it'll fit his thumb big. Can't really be re-sized much, if at all, because it's wood. Can't be returned because it's custom made. Do I try to resell it on ebay for the $200 I paid? Do I buy a new ring in the meantime hoping I'll be able to recoup my losses? Do I give up the surprise element so he can get properly sized to ensure this doesn't happen again? I don't want to wait weeks longer to give it to him. This sucks. All because I used a faulty online sizing chart and didn't bother to verify with a second one.


Why not use a corny line?

"My love for you is so large your fourth finger is too small to carry it - you'll have to use your thumb."

I'm no corny line expert - maybe you can do it better!

User avatar
Ashlah
Posts: 650
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:31 pm UTC

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Ashlah » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:20 pm UTC

bigglesworth wrote:Could a lacquer or something be applied to the interior, making it the right size?

That's a good idea...pretty sure they made stuff specifically for rings to make them fit better too. Maybe I'll look into that, if the size difference isn't too big.

And Menacing Spike, I'm presenting the ring after a whole corny poem, so that is actually a perfect idea :D

User avatar
Ivora
Posts: 1088
Joined: Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:18 am UTC
Location: Wandering the Crystal Blue.

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Ivora » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:14 pm UTC

being poor sucks so much.... :cry:

User avatar
roband
Posts: 2545
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:52 pm UTC
Location: UK

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby roband » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:21 pm UTC

Ivora wrote:being poor sucks so much.... :cry:

There's nothing I NEED that I don't have, but there's plenty that could go wrong and I'd have no way of fixing/replacing it.

Still dreaming about finding a bag full of money.

User avatar
addams
Posts: 10224
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:44 am UTC
Location: Oregon Coast: 97444

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby addams » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:18 am UTC

I wrote a Rant:
I got thrown out of the local Library. I don't have internet and a computer at the very same time at home. Home. I have a little place out of the wind. That is home for now.
That girlie girl. What is her name? Rachel Car, director of The Library and her staff of Snotty Girls. Jordan of the, "Take it up with the Feds." fame. Yes, Sir. This woman uses the words, "Take it up with the Feds." As an easy snotty answer. Many Americans do.
Jami; The way that woman treated me was embarrassing. The girl beside me was very intimidated by Jami. She has her Snotty Act down to a tee. I had the money to pay the $12.00 for the stupid CD I lost.
That is not the point. Our people are poor. Our people are not all well educated. Our people. We, the educated class, are at odds.? What is up with that? It pisses me off. Snotty Girls. I hate Snotty Girls. Hate is not too strong a word. Hate is fear and anger together.
Those Girls are scary. And; They piss me off. Many Americans say, "Take it up with the Feds."
Or; "Have Obama do it." When people do not want to do their job?

ech. I am, just, in a foul mood. Don't have a gun. Have a computer.

What is their job? The FEDS!! "Take it up with the Feds?! How the Hell am I supposed to do that?! That seems a little extreme, to me, for something so simple.

What Reality do we share? Their Job is to serve the People? Or, To serve the materials? Or, To have a good time, cash a government paycheck and (?). There are 2000 people in The City.
It is possible to know all of them?

Age segregation? I was sitting in a comfortable chair in a young adult's room. The Snotty Girls wanted a reason to throw me out.
I questioned the policy. As an intellectual I know that people will segregate. Institutional segregation is not good for people.
Fuck. I was not talking and I did not want to talk. Now, I do! What the fuck?

Rant. My Ass is freezing. I got thrown out of a Library! How does this shit happen?
I am so reasonable. I think I am. Shoot.
We each believe we are reasonable. Within the context.....Those women treat everyone like that? Everyone?
The retarded people? Most people walk in, log in and?? I like books. Damn.

Addams
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

User avatar
TimelordSimone
Posts: 916
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:05 pm UTC
Location: Cambridge ish

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby TimelordSimone » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:11 am UTC

If you ask me a question, and then immediately say you are joking, how am I meant to know it was a sincere question?
I mostly lurk. Hello.

User avatar
addams
Posts: 10224
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:44 am UTC
Location: Oregon Coast: 97444

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby addams » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:49 am UTC

TimelordSimone wrote:If you ask me a question, and then immediately say you are joking, how am I meant to know it was a sincere question?

I am in the mood for Rant.
I have seen the behavior of over stepping, then announcing, 'It is a joke.'

If this has happened to you, you can feel flattered.
It is a way of reducing stress. It is often used when the twit fears an honest reaction.
The twit is telling you, You have power.

If you had no power, the twit would not bother pretending to jest.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

User avatar
TimelordSimone
Posts: 916
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:05 pm UTC
Location: Cambridge ish

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby TimelordSimone » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:19 am UTC

Okay. I mean, I get that, but that doesn't mean I like getting moaned out for not answering a question I had been told was not a sincere question.
I mostly lurk. Hello.

User avatar
eculc
Wet Peanut Butter
Posts: 451
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:25 am UTC

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby eculc » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:13 pm UTC

Pant: my school is capable of bringing us into school in the middle of a snowstorm, but not of allowing students (who would otherwise normally be allowed to do so) to drive home early, in the name of "safety"

What is that even supposed to mean? That you don't trust your students to be able to handle themselves, so you have to force them to sit around in free periods at the end of the day, because you don't think they're "safe" enough? Maybe you should have just canceled school and saved everyone the trouble/frustration.
Um, this post feels devoid of content. Good luck?
For comparison, that means that if the cabbage guy from Avatar: The Last Airbender filled up his cart with lettuce instead, it would be about a quarter of a lethal dose.

User avatar
Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.
Posts: 11120
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:27 pm UTC
Location: E pur si muove

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Yakk » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:25 pm UTC

During school hours, the school is in loco parentis over the students.

On the way to school, they probably are not. Their parents are responsible for their safety at that point.

So it does make some sense. :)
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

Last edited by JHVH on Fri Oct 23, 4004 BCE 6:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.

User avatar
emceng
Posts: 3167
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 9:38 pm UTC
Location: State of Hockey
Contact:

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby emceng » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:16 pm UTC

Yakk wrote:During school hours, the school is in loco parentis over the students.

On the way to school, they probably are not. Their parents are responsible for their safety at that point.

So it does make some sense. :)


Reminds me of a random quote I read from a teacher:

The root of many problems in society today - no one is acting as a parent. Parents no longer teach their children how to behave, think, or act. Teachers cannot do so because they are prevented by whining parents who don't want their children to have someone else's values. This results in children with no values at all.

We always have cared for the kid's feelings, but we also were acting in loco parentis. But, parents didn't like that so they took away our ability to act as such, but didn't do the job themselves. So when a kid misbehaves, we have no real way to act. But yet, we're expected to teach them to be civil.



Also,

Sheikh al-Majaneen wrote:
"What is your daily special?"

We don't have those.


Is this for Subway? Then blame corporate, not the customers. All the Subways near me have a daily special sandwich deal.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

User avatar
Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Posts: 5929
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:42 pm UTC
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Angua » Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:03 pm UTC

Ashlah wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:Could a lacquer or something be applied to the interior, making it the right size?

That's a good idea...pretty sure they made stuff specifically for rings to make them fit better too. Maybe I'll look into that, if the size difference isn't too big.

And Menacing Spike, I'm presenting the ring after a whole corny poem, so that is actually a perfect idea :D

I've seen something fit into the inside of a gold ring to make it fit the wearer. You might be able to find something like that.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

User avatar
Menacing Spike
Posts: 2982
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:25 pm UTC
Location: Fighting the Zombie.

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Menacing Spike » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:12 pm UTC

I am soul-crushingly bored at work.

Basically I work directly for the Big Department Boss. My project is done since a while ago (my mighty intellect allow me to stride at much greater pace than my lessers), so I've worked a bit on making it faster and pointier. I asked the Big Boss for something new to do.

"Precision is at x%, I don't think I can go much higher without a major restructuration"
"You're working on precision? Did you give up on implementing Feature Y then?"
"I implemented it weeks ago!"
"I - oh sorry meeting must go"

Went to see the guy the next day, he was at a conference call. Meh, I'll just write documentation. Email. No response.

Then the department got embroiled into a giant clusterfuck of deadlines wooshing and restructurations and CEO visits, and Big Department Boss was busy all the time.

"So today I'll uh... I'll add transparency. To make stuff prettier. With uh... bit shifts and masks! That's will keep like 5% of my brain busy! Woo-woohoo.. ... ... okay, it's not actually prettier. Fuck."
"Today, I'll change the format of the log files to make them more asthetically pleasing! And add two appendixes to the documentation no one will likely ever care about! Maybe... maybe I'll leave early."
"Today I'll... browse blogs or whatever. Fuck. Holy shit I'm bored."

Going to badger him again next Monday. I feel so very valued at any rate.

User avatar
ahammel
My Little Cabbage
Posts: 2135
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:46 am UTC
Location: Vancouver BC
Contact:

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby ahammel » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:49 pm UTC

The institution that just spent something like eight months arguing that they can't afford to give their TA's a raise sent me an email to let me know that they've just raised one billion dollars in donations. That was not a typo.
He/Him/His/Alex
God damn these electric sex pants!

User avatar
firechicago
Posts: 621
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:27 pm UTC
Location: One time, I put a snowglobe in the microwave and pushed "Hot Dog"

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby firechicago » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:59 pm UTC

ahammel wrote:The institution that just spent something like eight months arguing that they can't afford to give their TA's a raise sent me an email to let me know that they've just raised one billion dollars in donations. That was not a typo.


Same here. We've been working without a contract for months because the University has hundreds of millions to sink into new buildings, but cries poor when the union asks for wage rises above the bare minimum needed to keep up with inflation.

User avatar
freezeblade
Posts: 1388
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:11 pm UTC
Location: Oakland

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby freezeblade » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:21 pm UTC

Boss gave me a new store plan to work on (big remodel) thursday afternoon. Cool. Big meeting with their boss on a plan on tuesday. ok.

Hm. holiday on monday, but I can bam out a plan to get looked at mid-late friday, make corrections on tuesday morning before meeting. (Note, I'm technically a temp and can't get into the building on weekends/holidays).

Wait. all of the people that could look over the plan for revisions will be gone on friday as well? How am I susposed to get your plans done, revised, and corrected by the meeting if you're not going to be in?

Grrr
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

User avatar
omgryebread
Posts: 1393
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:03 am UTC

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby omgryebread » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:49 pm UTC

I like my boss, I really do. But I also wish deeply that she'd chew her gum with her fucking mouth closed.

EDIT: well she stopped. If you're reading this, HI BOSS.

Seriously though: chewing gum is annoying enough, chewing at work? CHEWING IT AT WORK WITH YOUR MOUTH OPEN?

Also no one should be chewing gum here in the front lobby anyway. I would be fired so fast, for good reason, if I was.
avatar from Nononono by Lynn Okamoto.

User avatar
eculc
Wet Peanut Butter
Posts: 451
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:25 am UTC

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby eculc » Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:57 am UTC

Pant: why do vending machines have to not work? Specifically, the one that I want something from, which refuses to take any of the following:

-Dollar Bills
-$5 Dollar Bills
-Dollar Coins
-Quarters
-Dimes

How are you expecting us to get something out of the vending machine if it will not accept money? It's been like this for the past three days, I'm sort of getting annoyed by it at this point (else I wouldn't be putting this in the pant thread!)
Um, this post feels devoid of content. Good luck?
For comparison, that means that if the cabbage guy from Avatar: The Last Airbender filled up his cart with lettuce instead, it would be about a quarter of a lethal dose.


Return to “General”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 20 guests