Hype your ripe snipes 'n' gripes

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

User avatar
roband
Posts: 2545
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:52 pm UTC
Location: UK

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby roband » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:29 pm UTC

philsov wrote:Rant:Websites with flashy ads which take a second to load, resulting in a text/hyperlink list that immediately shifts downward and causes me to click on the wrong thing (and sometimes the ad itself):

I will abandon all of you.

Logmein is the latest one to piss me off like this

User avatar
addams
Posts: 10325
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:44 am UTC
Location: Oregon Coast: 97444

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby addams » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:32 am UTC

Pant? Rant?
Righteous Indignant Fury?

I don't have much of that.
What I did have was an agreement with a Woman I have known, umm a while. Not long. I can remember the day we met. I liked her. She seemed to like me. We hit it off, as people do.

The agreement was: If I am violated, I tell Catherine. No big deal.
She can't Do anything about it. Even if she wanted to.
I felt violated.

I went to tell Catherine.
Per our informal agreement.

I reached out to her as I often do.
I had a hand on her arm.

I told her about Toki.
She interrupted me and asked. "Is he dead?"
I Said, "No. Stupid Cat. He's fine."

Catherine One Upped me.
I was tearing up with Joy.
She was tearing up, too.

She ended up in my arms.
She was in my arms when she told me.

She pulled away to check the Hypodermics in her hand.
That is how up set she is? I knew they were covered.

Yes. Every once in a great while some of us older people might walk away with a hypodermic uncovered.
Well?! She was upset! Her kinetic memory kicked in. She always covers the needles. Even upset her body knows how to do it.

She got another hug while she finished the story.
True? I don't know. It was not my place to question her.

Trigger! Graphic! The story stands alone without details.
Trigger, again. Some things are both public and private.

Spoiler:
She said. "My employee's son died this morning."
"First she said the Mother drove a car over the child.
Then she said it was the child's father.
His mother's husband ran over a four year old child and the child is dead."


The only question I had was: "You are Not going after The Father, Are You?"
She said, "No."

Then I asked what I could do to help.
She must to do a days work in one hour and go somewhere.

Who knows where? My job was to Help or Get Out of The Way.
She one Upped Me. Her sorrow is greater than mine.
If the story is True.

She needed and wanted my help.
I medacated a Junk Yard Dog.

Really! It's true. Sort of. There is a kind of Dog that a kind of people might have.
I call them Junk Yard Dogs. They are Meaner Than a Junk Yard Dog.

This junk yard dog would not turn mean.
He was in Bad Shape when Catherine got him.

He is not used to being handled much.
Cathrine has been working with him.

I was flattered that she told me to handle him.
She wanted him to have antibiotics and and salve around his eyes.

He was sweet. He is not used to being handled. He likes it. So, shy.
He put his head down and did not want to Look at me. Shy. Sweet, thing.

I have seen people act like that.
He is a dog that could bite if frightened.
That dog is not mean and may never turn out right for some people.

He looks all right to me.
When his skin condition clears up.

Maybe he's an old Meth Head Dog.
I liked him.

She had me doing things like back in the Old Days.
I Wangled Chiwawa. Those little bastards can be mean.
They are not All mean.
The two today were a crotchety old dog and a Friendly Happy Go Lucky big for a Chiwawa dog.

I bet that thing is not a Chiwawa.
Fun. While it lasted. Reality comes Knocking.

Well; I don't get much concrete information.
Eeeewww. Stalking grieving families? ewwweeeewww.

I will find out more tomorrow. I can't remember why.
I am to return. I don't know why. I told Cathrine.

She is distracted; As usual.
huff.

I am complaining about having a weird life.
And the Low IQ of Cats.

I am frightened, again and I am not sure, why.
oh. I filled out a Police Report.

The Fear? They might want to talk to me and I am not Ever Dressed in Real Clothes!
Do ya' think we could make an Appointment?

Some people make an appointment to get arrested. Peg did.
It was all very civilized. She was arrested on the day and at the time the Judge told her she would be arrested.

She had weeks to get her affairs in Order.
She expected to come back out of Jail, in 90 days.

90 days is a long time in an icky place with icky people.
90 days is a time that has just begun in a nice place with nice people.

90 days in a so-so place with nice people is not so bad.
90 days in a Great Place with mean people is a long time.

Einstein! That guy was stating the obvious!
When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second.
When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity.

Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/autho ... uOUJcJZ.99

Back in my Imaganary Past when I had things.
I had a copy of a line drawing of Eienstien as an old guy.
The Quote printed in Italics: "I have no special talent. I am, just, curious."

Some one told me, ' Eienstien was not great at Arithmetic.'
What do you think? I think he could do The Math.

Either he was good at Math or he had a Great PR Team.
He was the Most Famous Science Guy, ever.

Edison made more money. But; Edison was no Eienstien.
Thank God the Government was Dassled by him.

What a Cute little Mascot he was!
He has faded away, too.

Do we need some Heroes?
We have BHG.

He is not Real.
Tonto and Keem O'Sobei were not real either.

Do you think my posts are Long?
Well; I talk a lot. You can turn away.
In person I am like TV. There must be an Off Button!
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

User avatar
Adacore
Posts: 2755
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:35 pm UTC
Location: 한국 창원

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Adacore » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:35 am UTC

roband wrote:
philsov wrote:Rant:Websites with flashy ads which take a second to load, resulting in a text/hyperlink list that immediately shifts downward and causes me to click on the wrong thing (and sometimes the ad itself):

I will abandon all of you.

Logmein is the latest one to piss me off like this

There are so many of these, especially if either your computer or your connection is shitty, so most pages take a while to load. Also, websites that have big banner adverts that load last, so an area where it looked like I could click with no impact suddenly becomes a giant advert. I tend to click on whitespace to change the active field or window quickly, and increasingly I'm clicking on an area that was blank just as a giant advert appears there and I end up clicking that.

User avatar
eran_rathan
Mostly Wrong
Posts: 1846
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:36 pm UTC
Location: in your ceiling, judging you

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby eran_rathan » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:23 am UTC

addams wrote:Hell-o my internet Frinamies;
Will you help me puzzel something out?
(snip)
Today, when The Cat came back I thought that was News worth sharing.
I returned to Laura's House.

There she told me,
"They talked to us. They threatened our Son.
They set the back porch on fire. They said, "Don't talk to Her.""

I am directly from a woman I like saying she likes me, too.
But; The Safety and Welfare of her Family is Important.

What do you think Internet?
Do I go to the Police?
Would that put the Woman and her Family at Risk?


solicited advice: yes. go to the police. Quickly. People who are willing to set your place of living on fire are generally dangerous. Police know how to handle dangerous people (usually). Go to the police.

EDIT: wrote this before reading second post. Glad to see that it worked out.
"Does this smell like chloroform to you?"
"Google tells me you are not unique. You are, however, wrong."
nɒʜƚɒɿ_nɒɿɘ

User avatar
UniqueScreenname
Something something Purple. Stop asking.
Posts: 1430
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:11 pm UTC
Location: The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby UniqueScreenname » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:29 am UTC

addams wrote:Now; I will go back under the Blanket and think about how stupid it is to not want to get naked and wet.
Humans Love to Get Wet! I am Human! What is Wrong With Me? I don't feel Safe. That is Stupid or Not Stupid?
It's not stupid at all. Trust is hard to come by. Don't feel ashamed of how you feel.
PolakoVoador wrote:Pizza is never a question, pizza is always the answer.
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.

User avatar
Jave D
chavey-dee
Posts: 1042
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:41 pm UTC

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Jave D » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:05 am UTC

When I was growing up, I always had a secret dream to clean up people's shit. Now, it's what I do for a living! My dream job! So you see kids, if you have a work ethic and some college education, your dreams can come true.

User avatar
Tomlidich the second
Posts: 1230
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:38 pm UTC

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Tomlidich the second » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:01 am UTC

eSOANEM wrote:There is no law of physics which states that a body in motion cannot continue in motion perpetually.

may i direct you to the second law of thermo dynamics: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_law ... modynamics
Image

User avatar
addams
Posts: 10325
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:44 am UTC
Location: Oregon Coast: 97444

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby addams » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:59 am UTC

Tomlidich the second wrote:
eSOANEM wrote:There is no law of physics which states that a body in motion cannot continue in motion perpetually.

may i direct you to the second law of thermo dynamics: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_law ... modynamics

Voyager, again?
It is going, going, going.

It is also being acted on by only God knows what.
And; Because we know the basic tenants of our Religion, Voyager is acting on The Universe.

No closed systems.
No action too small nor too large.
We can live with that.

The sun is a large system.
It sheds its light on us and life on This Planet has done amazing things with light and a little Star Dust.

I may be guilty of being a Progressive.
I like to be happy with what we have.

We have so many amazing things.
We always did.

We trade the night sky and slow deep conversations for High Speed Internet Connections and Starbucks.
it is possible to have it All. It seems I am not to Have it All. You Can! Walks in the Night Air and Wi-Fi.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

User avatar
eSOANEM
:D
Posts: 3652
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:39 pm UTC
Location: Grantabrycge

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby eSOANEM » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:10 am UTC

Tomlidich the second wrote:
eSOANEM wrote:There is no law of physics which states that a body in motion cannot continue in motion perpetually.

may i direct you to the second law of thermo dynamics: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_law ... modynamics


The entropy of a body remaining in motion is constant (or, if it's not already in thermal equilibrium with the vacuum will increase whilst maintaining a constant speed) and so there is no violation.

Relativity demonstrates that perpetual motion cannot be impossible because it's a frame-dependent phenomenon and all inertial reference frames are equivalent.

If my body has to cease its motion, that implies that in some other frame it must gain motion from nowhere. This is not how physics works.

Thermodynamics only comes into it once you have two bodies interacting in which case they will tend towards having evenly distributed energy (in order to maximise entropy) which will result in the bodies' speeds becoming closer. In this case though, the bodies are still moving in almost all frames and, depending on what frame you look at, whilst one body has lost its motion, another has gained motion it did not have before and I'm not sure in what way you can possibly claim that that is consistent with the idea that all motion must come to an end.

Seriously, that idea went out along with Aristotelian physics.
my pronouns are they

Magnanimous wrote:(fuck the macrons)

User avatar
e^iπ+1=0
Much, much better than Gooder
Posts: 2065
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:41 am UTC
Location: Lancaster

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:40 pm UTC

Two objects with the same mass and speed travel in opposite directions and collide. They both stop due to conservation of momentum.
poxic wrote:You, sir, have heroic hair.
poxic wrote:I note that the hair is not slowing down. It appears to have progressed from heroic to rocking.

(Avatar by Sungura)

User avatar
Carlington
Posts: 1588
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:46 am UTC
Location: Sydney, Australia.

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Carlington » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:48 pm UTC

e^iπ+1=0 wrote:Two objects with the same mass and speed travel in opposite directions and collide. They both stop due to conservation of momentum.

Total momentum of the system is zero the whole time. Another perfectly valid solution for the equations after the collision would result in both objects travelling away from the collision with their final velocities equal to their initial velocities, with a reversal of signs.

unless that was your point.
Kewangji: Posdy zwei tosdy osdy oady. Bork bork bork, hoppity syphilis bork.

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?
doogly: Hands waving furiously.

Please use he/him/his pronouns when referring to me.

User avatar
eSOANEM
:D
Posts: 3652
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:39 pm UTC
Location: Grantabrycge

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby eSOANEM » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:06 pm UTC

e^iπ+1=0 wrote:Two objects with the same mass and speed travel in opposite directions and collide. They both stop due to conservation of momentum.


In almost no reference frames.

Also, as Carlington points out, even within this one reference frame, the particles don't need to come to a halt (and, at a fundamental level cannot because to do so would violate conservation of energy).

Anyway, the point is that almost all reference frames show the momemtum never reaching a value of 0 because it cannot.
my pronouns are they

Magnanimous wrote:(fuck the macrons)

User avatar
Adacore
Posts: 2755
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:35 pm UTC
Location: 한국 창원

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Adacore » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:24 pm UTC

One of the adverts on rotation in the elevator in my apartment building has 2 Become 1 by the Spice Girls as the backing music. Because of this, it's been stuck in my head on and off for more than a week now. I really don't like that song. :evil:

User avatar
roband
Posts: 2545
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:52 pm UTC
Location: UK

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby roband » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:25 pm UTC

I NEED SOME LOVE LIKE I NEVER NEEDED LOVE BEFORE

User avatar
Pfhorrest
Posts: 5474
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:11 am UTC
Contact:

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Pfhorrest » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:53 pm UTC

I'm gonna make love to your baby.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

User avatar
e^iπ+1=0
Much, much better than Gooder
Posts: 2065
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:41 am UTC
Location: Lancaster

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:52 am UTC

Carlington wrote:
e^iπ+1=0 wrote:Two objects with the same mass and speed travel in opposite directions and collide. They both stop due to conservation of momentum.

Total momentum of the system is zero the whole time. Another perfectly valid solution for the equations after the collision would result in both objects travelling away from the collision with their final velocities equal to their initial velocities, with a reversal of signs.

unless that was your point.

Elastic versus inelastic collisions. Unless we're talking about, like, two individual atoms colliding, then the collision is going to be at least somewhat inelastic. But I suppose the argument is that when it's not elastic the motion is transferred to the constituent molecules, as it were. Fair enough, poor example.

Here's a better example then: A 1 kg object is initially bouncing elastically on the ground (defined to be at 0 m) up to a height of 2 m. It has 1 kg * ~10 m/s^2 * 2 m = 20 J of energy. I then place a platform at 1 m while the ball is above it. It now bounces between the platform and the original 2m height, because it still has 20 J of energy. But this is surely less motion than before. I now place another platform under the ball when it's at 2 m. Yes, I'd have to do it instantaneously, but that's an engineering problem. :wink: Now it doesn't move at all. This is definitely less motion than before. The energy is stored as gravitational potential energy, but there's no movement.

Edit: See also springs, capacitors, batteries, radioactive decay... My point is that there's no such thing as conservation of kinetic energy, and hence no such thing as conservation of motion.
Last edited by e^iπ+1=0 on Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:37 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
poxic wrote:You, sir, have heroic hair.
poxic wrote:I note that the hair is not slowing down. It appears to have progressed from heroic to rocking.

(Avatar by Sungura)

User avatar
addams
Posts: 10325
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:44 am UTC
Location: Oregon Coast: 97444

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby addams » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:05 am UTC

Adacore wrote:One of the adverts on rotation in the elevator in my apartment building has 2 Become 1 by the Spice Girls as the backing music. Because of this, it's been stuck in my head on and off for more than a week now. I really don't like that song. :evil:

You may be getting into shape.
Take the stairs.

Or; Research how the system works and write a letter.
I like No Music. Why do they pipe Music In?

Taking matters into your own hands is a last resort.
The wires will be hard to get to.

Now you have to make friends with an elevator guy.
They exist. They know what to do.
Do not ever get on that guy's bad side.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

User avatar
Link
Posts: 1419
Joined: Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:33 am UTC
Location: ᘝᓄᘈᖉᐣ
Contact:

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Link » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:12 am UTC

e^iπ+1=0 wrote:Elastic versus inelastic collisions. Unless we're talking about, like, two individual atoms colliding, then the collision is going to be at least somewhat inelastic. But I suppose the argument is that when it's not elastic the motion is transferred to the constituent molecules, as it were. Fair enough, poor example.

Here's a better example then: A 1 kg object is initially bouncing elastically on the ground (defined to be at 0 m) up to a height of 2 m. It has 1 kg * ~10 m/s^2 * 2 m = 20 J of energy. I then place a platform at 1 m while the ball is above it. It now bounces between the platform and the original 2m height, because it still has 20 J of energy. But this is surely less motion than before. I now place another platform under the ball when it's at 2 m. Yes, I'd have to do it instantaneously, but that's an engineering problem. :wink: Now it doesn't move at all. This is definitely less motion than before. The energy is stored as gravitational potential energy, but there's no movement.

Edit: See also springs, capacitors, batteries, radioactive decay... My point is that there's no such thing as conservation of kinetic energy, and hence no such thing as conservation of motion.

Newton's third law says that the force exerted on the ball by the Earth is exerted in the opposite direction by the ball on the Earth. When the ball bounces, both the ball and the Earth get pushed away from the system's centre of mass. If you put a platform between the ball and the Earth, then that will keep the system from reaching the minimal potential, sure. But from the system's centre-of-mass frame, the net momentum is zero, with or without a platform. If there were no gravity, the ball would not stop moving at 2 m height and the ball would not get 20 J of gravitational potential energy (it would remain kinetic, save minor losses as heat at impact), but there would still be no net momentum from the CoM frame. Conservation of momentum is always true in Newtonian mechanics. Kinetic energy isn't always conserved (in fact, it's never entirely conserved in ordinary situations, which is why you can't have perpetual motion machines in the first place), but momentum most definitely is.

User avatar
Adacore
Posts: 2755
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:35 pm UTC
Location: 한국 창원

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Adacore » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:54 am UTC

addams wrote:You may be getting into shape.
Take the stairs.

Or; Research how the system works and write a letter.
I like No Music. Why do they pipe Music In?

Taking matters into your own hands is a last resort.
The wires will be hard to get to.

Now you have to make friends with an elevator guy.
They exist. They know what to do.
Do not ever get on that guy's bad side.

I live on the tenth floor. If I was on the fifth or sixth I'd take the stairs, but ten is a bit too much (for me, anyway). The music is in the elevator because there is a TV screen mounted in the top corner, by the door, that plays about 10 commercials for local businesses on loop (this is fairly common here). These commercials consist of whatever the businesses want, and then they pay to have them piped into elevators, I suppose, but by far the most common format is text and video adverts with a pop song backing track - normally K-Pop, but sometimes, as in this case, Western music.

It would be easy enough to physically disable the screen, but it would probably get me in trouble and would be repaired fairly quickly, I suspect. I guess I could track down the offending business and ask for them to change the music on their commercial, but I'm not sure this would have any effect (it is, at the very least, forcing me to pay attention to their commercial and that is presumably the whole point of paying to have it shown in the elevator in the first place). I would assume that if it's on the rotation at my place then it's playing in a lot of elevators in a lot of apartment buildings in the city, too, so the concerns of one slightly aggrieved foreigner probably aren't too big a deal.

User avatar
yurell
Posts: 2924
Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:19 am UTC
Location: Australia!

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby yurell » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:39 am UTC

If you're happy to walk five or six floors, why don't you do that and then catch the elevator?
(This is a question asked in good faith, with no You-Should-Do-This-You-Moron connotations intended at all)
cemper93 wrote:Dude, I just presented an elaborate multiple fraction in Comic Sans. Who are you to question me?


Pronouns: Feminine pronouns please!

User avatar
Adacore
Posts: 2755
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:35 pm UTC
Location: 한국 창원

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Adacore » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:47 am UTC

yurell wrote:If you're happy to walk five or six floors, why don't you do that and then catch the elevator?
(This is a question asked in good faith, with no You-Should-Do-This-You-Moron connotations intended at all)

The way my building is set up is a bit strange. It's a multi-use building, with shops on the bottom two floors, parking on floors 3-7, then apartments on 8-10. The apartments have a dedicated elevator that doesn't stop on the parking floors*. But I think more generally, if I'm taking the elevator at all it seems silly to only take it part of the way.

I normally use whichever route is fastest, in honesty. At my company dormitory my room is on the 5th floor and I'll take the elevator if there's one available waiting at the ground floor, but take the stairs if there isn't. A combination of stairs and elevator is almost guaranteed to be slower than a single-method route.

*EDIT: This may seem counter-intuitive if you don't know that the residents' parking is in the basement.

User avatar
eSOANEM
:D
Posts: 3652
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:39 pm UTC
Location: Grantabrycge

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby eSOANEM » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:42 pm UTC

e^iπ+1=0 wrote:
Carlington wrote:
e^iπ+1=0 wrote:Two objects with the same mass and speed travel in opposite directions and collide. They both stop due to conservation of momentum.

Total momentum of the system is zero the whole time. Another perfectly valid solution for the equations after the collision would result in both objects travelling away from the collision with their final velocities equal to their initial velocities, with a reversal of signs.

unless that was your point.

Elastic versus inelastic collisions. Unless we're talking about, like, two individual atoms colliding, then the collision is going to be at least somewhat inelastic. But I suppose the argument is that when it's not elastic the motion is transferred to the constituent molecules, as it were. Fair enough, poor example.

Here's a better example then: A 1 kg object is initially bouncing elastically on the ground (defined to be at 0 m) up to a height of 2 m. It has 1 kg * ~10 m/s^2 * 2 m = 20 J of energy. I then place a platform at 1 m while the ball is above it. It now bounces between the platform and the original 2m height, because it still has 20 J of energy. But this is surely less motion than before. I now place another platform under the ball when it's at 2 m. Yes, I'd have to do it instantaneously, but that's an engineering problem. :wink: Now it doesn't move at all. This is definitely less motion than before. The energy is stored as gravitational potential energy, but there's no movement.

Edit: See also springs, capacitors, batteries, radioactive decay... My point is that there's no such thing as conservation of kinetic energy, and hence no such thing as conservation of motion.


You're constructing an example where motion does not continue (because the momentum summed to 0). I am not claiming such systems do not exist, I'm claiming that the default is that motion does continue perpetually.

It's also worth noting that, generally, the kinetic energy of system cannot be reduced to 0. It can only be reduced to 0 in a frame comoving with the centre of mass. As I've said before, equivalence of inertial frames implies that perpetual motion cannot be argued against as the default in physical law unless we all want to go back to Aristotelian physics.
my pronouns are they

Magnanimous wrote:(fuck the macrons)

User avatar
roband
Posts: 2545
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:52 pm UTC
Location: UK

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby roband » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:50 pm UTC

Can I rant about the fact I think this discussion should be taking place in a more suitable thread?
Last edited by roband on Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:37 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
SecondTalon
SexyTalon
Posts: 26528
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 2:10 pm UTC
Location: Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Mars. HA!
Contact:

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:28 pm UTC

yurell wrote:If you're happy to walk five or six floors, why don't you do that and then catch the elevator?
(This is a question asked in good faith, with no You-Should-Do-This-You-Moron connotations intended at all)

Let's talk about a hypothetical 20 story building with an observation deck for the public on the 20th that has six elevators.

Most likely, in the morning three elevators are parked on floor 1/ground floor, two are parked on 20, and one is parked on 10. In the afternoon, 1 is on 1/g, 3 are on 10 and 2 are on 20. Or some other parking method that wasn't taught to me by fucking Sim Tower and is actually useful.

At any rate, going up five/six flights then calling the elevator might take longer than calling the elevator on the ground floor.

What you want to actually do is catch the elevator on the ground floor, go up to your destination - 5, and get off there. THEN take the stairs.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Fire Brns
Posts: 1114
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:25 pm UTC

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Fire Brns » Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:10 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
yurell wrote:If you're happy to walk five or six floors, why don't you do that and then catch the elevator?
(This is a question asked in good faith, with no You-Should-Do-This-You-Moron connotations intended at all)

Let's talk about a hypothetical 20 story building with an observation deck for the public on the 20th that has six elevators.

Most likely, in the morning three elevators are parked on floor 1/ground floor, two are parked on 20, and one is parked on 10. In the afternoon, 1 is on 1/g, 3 are on 10 and 2 are on 20. Or some other parking method that wasn't taught to me by fucking Sim Tower and is actually useful.

At any rate, going up five/six flights then calling the elevator might take longer than calling the elevator on the ground floor.

What you want to actually do is catch the elevator on the ground floor, go up to your destination - 5, and get off there. THEN take the stairs.

Or else you and everyone standing in line behind you will turn various shades of red. Also everyone knows the observation deck is floor 15.
Pfhorrest wrote:As someone who is not easily offended, I don't really mind anything in this conversation.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:It was the Renaissance. Everyone was Italian.

User avatar
Tomlidich the second
Posts: 1230
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:38 pm UTC

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Tomlidich the second » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:45 pm UTC

roband wrote:Can I rant about the fact I think this discussion should be taking place in a more suitable thread?

i didn't expect it to get to this level of discussion, it probably should be discussed further in a seperate thread.
Image

User avatar
Pfhorrest
Posts: 5474
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:11 am UTC
Contact:

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Pfhorrest » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:00 pm UTC

I don't see what the hubbub is all about here. eSOANEM's point seems trivial.

The first law of motion says that all else being equal things will keep moving just how they are. There's your strict literal "perpetual motion" right there, which seems to be his whole point. Left to its own devices and not meddled with, anything will tend to continue moving, just as it was, perpetually.

But the third law of motion says that if you want to use the motion of something to set something else in motion, then you're going to lose some of the motion of the first thing. This is what puts a big kibosh on "perpetual motion machines": while something could in principle keep moving how it was forever, you can't expect it to keep doing so after you've "taken" some of its motion to move something else.

The second law of thermodynamics adds another problem -- while still not overriding the first point about the first law of motion -- that while things in motion will stay in motion and the total amount of motion happening everywhere will stay the same, that motion will tend to get less uniform with every interaction, meaning (long story short) macroscopic motion will be apparently lost and converted to temperature (which is just disordered microscopic motion, so really nothing was lost, so really the first point still stands).

And since in practice nothing can be completely isolated from everything else, nothing can really be "left to its own devices and not meddled with", so in practice no macroscopic thing will actually move perpetually, even if you're not trying to use it to set something else in motion; you simply cannot, in practice, actually stop the thing you'd like to let move perpetually from setting other things into motion and in doing so losing some of its motion.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

User avatar
e^iπ+1=0
Much, much better than Gooder
Posts: 2065
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:41 am UTC
Location: Lancaster

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:09 pm UTC

Yeah, I think that what specifically was being argued seems to have been muddled. I thought eSOANEM was trying to argue one thing, he was apparently trying to argue another.

I think Pfhorrest above has summarized things nicely though, so I've nothing more to add.
poxic wrote:You, sir, have heroic hair.
poxic wrote:I note that the hair is not slowing down. It appears to have progressed from heroic to rocking.

(Avatar by Sungura)

User avatar
addams
Posts: 10325
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:44 am UTC
Location: Oregon Coast: 97444

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby addams » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:11 pm UTC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QTj45cTB4U
There is an Old Rant.
It is, still, a problem.

I have been poisoned with the Inch, Foot, Mile.
I think like that.

It is more dangerous for Then than it is for me.
If I miss read a Sign; (km is roughly miles divided by two)
I see a sign that says 12 km. I think, "12 miles, More!"

When I get there in about six or seven miles, I am Happy!

If 'they' miss read a Sign; (miles is roughly X2 km)
Those poor people. "I walked at Least 12 km! Where am I?"

That is a large difference when not expected.
It is a little thing for me. "That last 12 miles was a Piece of Cake."

Km and Centigrade make so much more sense.
Esp! In a Lab! Degrees F. Is a bad habit.

oh. Well written Phorest.
even the Universe in which we live is losing Momentum.
Or; Maybe, not. It's a Big System!

I am not done Ranting about F. vs C.
That one is dangerous for ME!

We all have Stories. There had been a Freak Snowstorm.
I was in a city. That city gets a dusting of snow some years and none other years.

Well; The City was Paralyzed by Snow.
The City did not have equipment to move Snow with.
The skills for Snow among The People were Rusty at best.

I Knew it was a Dangerous situation.
I asked a man that I trusted.
"Shall I attemp to walk to (X) through The Park."
"It is 8 to 10 degrees out there."

He said, "Eight to Ten. It is warming up. The snow will melt."
"Go! Bye! Later!" That was a City Man.

He had not been outside in Days!
On his word, I walked into a Frozen City Park.

Yes. It was beautiful. It was, also, Cold!
The city was quiet.
The snow had forced many noise making activities to stop.

Where I came from the City Park backs up to BLM land.
It is 300 miles as The Crow Flies to the next paved road.

Their city park is not that large. It was Large Enough.
I got Lost.
Spoiler:
Hell-o; I would like you to meet me.
My name is Addams. I get lost.

I am an Expert!
Your chances are just as good with me as without me.


Hours later. After what is in Memory was a Lovely Night Time Walk.
I found my way to a city street.

I had to think about what to do.
I was Cold. It was dangerous for me to walk back into The Park.
It was dangerous for me to be on The Street.

A beautiful Black Town Car slid through the intersection and came to rest against the curb in front of me.
Loads of Middles Eastern People learning about Snow, on the fly.

That was dangerous. I finely made it back to a place that was familiar and warm.
I told the man that had said, "Go!"
I told him, "I am cold." I held out my hands.

He felt my hands and told me to do dishes.
Doing dishes is almost always the Right answer.

The dish water warmed my hands.
Of course, I screamed when I first put my hands into the water.

That is why F. degrees is Bad, Bad, Bad.
Ten in C. is perfect for a brisk walk.
Ten in F. is too cold.

So, there. If they think in C. be careful.
It could be too cold.

Heat?
Do you know what kind of a day 110 is in C.?
45 is brisk. Not in C.!

Standardized C. for temp would be nice.
Of course, we want to maintain our Culture!

No better way to maintain a Culture than to let Stupid cull the Herd.

One more thing about City People.
There was a Man Following me that night.

He was still angry two years later.
That is funny stuff. He is a City Boy.

He was not prepared for the Weather.
I have Great Respect for Weather.

He was in Bad Shape. (fuck him)
He lived.
Last edited by addams on Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:59 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

User avatar
eSOANEM
:D
Posts: 3652
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:39 pm UTC
Location: Grantabrycge

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby eSOANEM » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:42 pm UTC

Pfhorrest is exactly right.

Like I've said, I agree entirely that perpetual motion machines of all three kinds are impossible (albeit the last due to engineering concerns rather than fundamental physical laws). It just irritates me that perpetual motion machines have an inaccurate name. They are not based on perpetual motion. They are based on increasing motion (by keeping something moving but making other things move too). Perpetual motion engine would be more accurate as would free energy device or lossless machine.
my pronouns are they

Magnanimous wrote:(fuck the macrons)

User avatar
Tomlidich the second
Posts: 1230
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:38 pm UTC

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Tomlidich the second » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:56 pm UTC

eSOANEM wrote:Pfhorrest is exactly right.

Like I've said, I agree entirely that perpetual motion machines of all three kinds are impossible (albeit the last due to engineering concerns rather than fundamental physical laws). It just irritates me that perpetual motion machines have an inaccurate name. They are not based on perpetual motion. They are based on increasing motion (by keeping something moving but making other things move too). Perpetual motion engine would be more accurate as would free energy device or lossless machine.

alrighty, so in the theme of 309, our main problem is an unclear definition of perpetual motion.

also, i would like to add i may have gotten a little heated at times in my discussion of the subject, and would like to formally apologize for any rustled jimmies.
Image

User avatar
Jave D
chavey-dee
Posts: 1042
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:41 pm UTC

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Jave D » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:27 pm UTC

I seem to be leaking.

User avatar
Tomlidich the second
Posts: 1230
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:38 pm UTC

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Tomlidich the second » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:37 pm UTC

Jave D wrote:I seem to be leaking.


hopefully not O2 exchange fluid?
Image

Dark Avorian
Posts: 546
Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 10:48 pm UTC

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Dark Avorian » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:50 am UTC

Dear human body,

Fuck you. Really, I know you've housed my consciousness day in and day out for the past two decades, but fuck you. I love you, but you're fucking stupid. Let me tell you why.

Well, let's start at the beginning. I guess I have no complaints about you vacating the entirety of our digestive tract to fight off the invaders who came in on that bad piece of meat. That, while eminently unpleasant, was a reasonable defensive maneuver. On the other hand, why in the bloody fuck would it ever be a good idea to respond to the resultant hunger and thirst and imbalance of nutrients by giving me a headache so blindingly painful that I ended up vomiting in the bathroom of a Starbucks, not because I was actually helping my body remove bacteria, but because it felt like I had a blazing spike through my skull.

So yeah, fuck you. In the future, let's remember that the response to not having sufficient food is not to render me incapable of feeding. That seems like a good idea.

Sincerely,
Dark Avorian
The 62-foot tall statue of Jesus constructed out of styrofoam, wood and fiberglass resin caught on fire after the right hand of the statue was struck by lightning.


meatyochre wrote:And yea, verily the forums crowd spake: "Teehee!"

User avatar
addams
Posts: 10325
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:44 am UTC
Location: Oregon Coast: 97444

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby addams » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:51 am UTC

Dark Avorian wrote:Dear human body,

Fuck you. Really, I know you've housed my consciousness day in and day out for the past two decades, but fuck you. I love you, but you're fucking stupid. Let me tell you why.

Well, let's start at the beginning. I guess I have no complaints about you vacating the entirety of our digestive tract to fight off the invaders who came in on that bad piece of meat. That, while eminently unpleasant, was a reasonable defensive maneuver. On the other hand, why in the bloody fuck would it ever be a good idea to respond to the resultant hunger and thirst and imbalance of nutrients by giving me a headache so blindingly painful that I ended up vomiting in the bathroom of a Starbucks, not because I was actually helping my body remove bacteria, but because it felt like I had a blazing spike through my skull.

So yeah, fuck you. In the future, let's remember that the response to not having sufficient food is not to render me incapable of feeding. That seems like a good idea.

Sincerely,
Dark Avorian

Bad Day; Huh?

oh, The Stories we can tell.
I had Food Poisoning or some other Horrible thing for Six Weeks in Mexico.

The first three days were Lost in The Familiar Story; Torlet, Bed, Wastebasket, Bed, Repeat.
After three days I had to Ride a Motorcycle out of there. Where to? Deeper in.

Six weeks. Strange six weeks.
I was fighting nausea most of the time.

Dead cows and other stuff along the road in one area.
Like dead deer, only bigger.

The smell made my stomach Flip.
I wanted to pull that big bike over and vomit.

Every time I found a place wide enough to pull that big bike over,
there was a dead thing there.

If I stopped by a rotting piece of large animal,
I thought I would start vomiting and never stop.

I did breathing exercises to keep from ....yuck....
Finely; A petrol station.

I left my helmit on. When I vomited my helmit hit the tank.
When I stood upright I fell against the wall, helmet and All.
Repeat.

I guess I was noisy. Vomit; Bang and Rattle; Bang, my helmet hitting the wall or the door.
The men were curious about me. I was too weak to talk.

I was able to Ride in That condition.
Ygh.

People that want a sure fire weight loss program?
I have one.

Take a Motorcycle into Mexico.
Drink the Water. Especially if offered by Grengos.

Keep riding. Keep a tight schedule.
You will be half the man you were.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

User avatar
Izawwlgood
WINNING
Posts: 18686
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:55 pm UTC
Location: There may be lovelier lovelies...

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:06 am UTC

Dark Avorian wrote:but because it felt like I had a blazing spike through my skull.
Uh... I'm not a doctor, but... maybe you should see one?
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Dark Avorian
Posts: 546
Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 10:48 pm UTC

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Dark Avorian » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:12 am UTC

the blazing headache was the caffeine withdrawal from not drinking anything except a few glasses of water for a day. The sweet soothing frappucino I imbibed right after vomiting relieved me fo that particular malady. My day feels much better now.
The 62-foot tall statue of Jesus constructed out of styrofoam, wood and fiberglass resin caught on fire after the right hand of the statue was struck by lightning.


meatyochre wrote:And yea, verily the forums crowd spake: "Teehee!"

User avatar
SurgicalSteel
Posts: 1926
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:18 pm UTC
Location: DMV, USA

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby SurgicalSteel » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:24 am UTC

Dark Avorian wrote:the blazing headache was the caffeine withdrawal from not drinking anything except a few glasses of water for a day.

That ... doesn't really change what Izawwlgood said. It can't be healthy to be that physiologically addicted to caffeine.
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

Dark Avorian
Posts: 546
Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 10:48 pm UTC

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Dark Avorian » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:26 am UTC

I can kick the habit fairly easily, it's just a few day wean, or a day of unpleasantness, I do it every time the school term ends. It was just the epic combo of destroyed digestive system and caffeine withdrawal. Eh, I'm making excuses.
The 62-foot tall statue of Jesus constructed out of styrofoam, wood and fiberglass resin caught on fire after the right hand of the statue was struck by lightning.


meatyochre wrote:And yea, verily the forums crowd spake: "Teehee!"

Sheikh al-Majaneen
Name Checks Out On Time, Tips Chambermaid
Posts: 1075
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:17 am UTC

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Sheikh al-Majaneen » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:50 am UTC

I call food poisoning "The Zaxby's Diet".

Lost ten pounds both times I went on it (two consecutive visits as well...if spread over two years, and two different locations). There will be no third time.


Return to “General”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 19 guests