Hype your ripe snipes 'n' gripes

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

User avatar
roband
Posts: 2545
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:52 pm UTC
Location: UK

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby roband » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:01 pm UTC

Stupid? Your stories are awesome

User avatar
PhoenixEnigma
Posts: 2303
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:11 am UTC
Location: Sasquatchawan, Canada
Contact:

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby PhoenixEnigma » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:15 pm UTC

The hell? I got chicken pox, and got to be called "chicken boy" for a year, and there was a vaccine available??
"Optimism, pessimism, fuck that; we're going to make it happen. As God is my bloody witness, I'm hell-bent on making it work." -Elon Musk
Shivahn wrote:I am a motherfucking sorceror.

User avatar
Adam H
Posts: 1267
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:36 pm UTC

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Adam H » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:20 pm UTC

addams wrote:Chicken Pox and Mumps were sometimes the reason for a play party.
Expose all of them as soon as possible was the name of the game.
Yesssssss I totally had a chicken pox party! It was awesome. I got chicken pox and got to stay home from school.
-Adam

User avatar
roband
Posts: 2545
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:52 pm UTC
Location: UK

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby roband » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:23 pm UTC

I don't remember the chicken pox as much as I remember the camomile lotion.

Fucking litres of the stuff.

User avatar
addams
Posts: 10336
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:44 am UTC
Location: Oregon Coast: 97444

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby addams » Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:26 pm UTC

roband wrote:Stupid? Your stories are awesome

Thank you, Rodand.

Now; Everyone get your vaccinations!
Talk to a nurse. Polio is still in our environment.

Yes, Chicken Boy. There was a vaccine available.
Don't get angry at your parents. They may not know. You didn't.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

User avatar
Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow
Posts: 3819
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:30 pm UTC
Location: Tucson, Arizona

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Giant Speck » Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:19 am UTC

PhoenixEnigma wrote:The hell? I got chicken pox, and got to be called "chicken boy" for a year, and there was a vaccine available??


I got chicken pox twice and a shingles-like rash on my face three times and there was a vaccine available?
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

User avatar
addams
Posts: 10336
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:44 am UTC
Location: Oregon Coast: 97444

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby addams » Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:30 am UTC

Giant Speck wrote:
PhoenixEnigma wrote:The hell? I got chicken pox, and got to be called "chicken boy" for a year, and there was a vaccine available??


I got chicken pox twice and a shingles-like rash on my face three times and there was a vaccine available?

Get ye to a nurse and your suffering will be lessened.

Shingles can come back over and over.
Those things are worse than the pox.

Before the vaccine we saw a lot of shingles in AIDS patents.
That was so fucked up. The Chicken Pox vaccine helped a ton.

Shingles has a vaccine! I learned that, today!
You people should be running around in circles doing The Happy Dance.

You need never suffer that way. Of course, the pessimists are right.
Something will get you. If not this, then that.

Maybe you will be lucky. On your tombstone are carved the words,
Never Sick a Day; Until the Day S/he Died.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

User avatar
Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow
Posts: 3819
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:30 pm UTC
Location: Tucson, Arizona

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Giant Speck » Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:36 am UTC

I haven't had symptoms in well over ten years. I don't even have cold sores anymore (yes, I know that's a different Herpes virus).

I don't know if any of the vaccines I've received in the military cover chicken pox and/or shingles.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

User avatar
addams
Posts: 10336
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:44 am UTC
Location: Oregon Coast: 97444

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby addams » Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:41 am UTC

Giant Speck wrote:I haven't had symptoms in well over ten years. I don't even have cold sores anymore (yes, I know that's a different Herpes virus).

I don't know if any of the vaccines I've received in the military cover chicken pox and/or shingles.

They should.
If you are active duty, then that is such an easy thing to know.

Go to a nurse. She/he will google up your records.
Shingles may not be in your usual vaccine schedule.

It is so easy to request it. Of course, you will receive it.
How it works I have no idea. The nurse may laugh at you.

I read it on the internet. That does not make it truth.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

User avatar
Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow
Posts: 3819
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:30 pm UTC
Location: Tucson, Arizona

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Giant Speck » Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:46 am UTC

Oh, it's very simple. You just go to the immunizations clinic and ask for a copy of your records and they print you off a copy. In fact, I should have a copy around my apartment somewhere; you receive a copy every time you get a vaccine and I just got my flu vaccine last week.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

User avatar
WilliamTheConqueror
Posts: 245
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:16 pm UTC
Location: *tips meme*

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby WilliamTheConqueror » Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:37 am UTC

Got my vaccine as soon as I got home from school, so either I'll get it and won't possibly get hospitalized, or I won't get it at all!

(Also, according to my doctor, I would have been out of school for at least 20 days if I hadn't had the vaccine. I wouldn't be able to get back until after new year's day!! O_O)
addams wrote:Fucking Nature.

Tomlidich the second wrote:You cannot surgically graft enough middle fingers to my body to express how fed up I am with this.

User avatar
Wednesday
Posts: 901
Joined: Fri May 22, 2009 6:31 pm UTC
Location: Oakland, CA

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Wednesday » Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:45 am UTC

Holy shit, I didn't realize people hadn't even HEARD of the vaccine...I assumed William's parents were just kind of terrible and chose not to get it for their kids.
Sexts From The Void wrote:i struggle to maneuver on a chessboard of dicks

User avatar
WilliamTheConqueror
Posts: 245
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:16 pm UTC
Location: *tips meme*

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby WilliamTheConqueror » Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:03 am UTC

Wednesday wrote:Holy shit, I didn't realize people hadn't even HEARD of the vaccine...I assumed William's parents were just kind of terrible and chose not to get it for their kids.


Nah, we knew about it. My mom and I just kept putting it off :oops:
addams wrote:Fucking Nature.

Tomlidich the second wrote:You cannot surgically graft enough middle fingers to my body to express how fed up I am with this.

User avatar
addams
Posts: 10336
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:44 am UTC
Location: Oregon Coast: 97444

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby addams » Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:06 am UTC

Giant Speck wrote:Oh, it's very simple. You just go to the immunizations clinic and ask for a copy of your records and they print you off a copy. In fact, I should have a copy around my apartment somewhere; you receive a copy every time you get a vaccine and I just got my flu vaccine last week.

Can you read it?
It will be written in a kind of code.

Epidemiology is fun. Yes. it does get weird. What doesn't.
Well..Biology and Humanity make for some weird stuff.
Pathology is weird, too.

People are weird. Our bodies are only part of the story.
Pant? May I Rant?

My biggest complaint is the severely undereducated masses.
We have always had undereducated masses.

We have not always had people that were so happy about being ignorant.
There was a powerful movement during the 1970's and 1980's to increase the self esteem of The People.

I heard and saw some funny things. Educators would dutifully trot off to do continuing education.
Some of those educators did not understand the concept or were unable to transmit the concept.

The way I learned it:
People should feel good about themselves.
People with a high self regard make better citizens than those with low self regard.
That makes sense. But; Huston! We have a problem!

High self esteem was being handed out for winning the Sperm Race.
I am not saying that is not an accomplishment. Yes, I am.
That is not an accomplishment an adult person can use to build a sense of competence.

Loving and Honest Self Esteem is not that easy.
Remember that little ditty that was going around for a few hundred years.
"I Think; Therefore I am."

Yes. If you are thinking you may have earned our high regard and your own high regard.
If you are not thinking; What??

Many of the individual human beings that I have been interacting with pride themselves in not thinking.
Moments later one will become very upset when I say, "You are wrong. You don't know how to think about that."

It reminds me of George W.
There was a man that could look a person in the eye and say,
"You can't know anything I don't know. And; I don't know very much."

ech. An intelectual friend of fifty would sure be nice.
Universities are nice for that.

During my University experience I was so busy I did not have time for fifty friends.
Well; We were friends. We were busy friends.

My program only had thirty-five individuals.
We were kept busy. Six students per instructor.

It was impossible to fade into the crowd.
I don't fade into the crowd here, either.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

User avatar
Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Posts: 5944
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:42 pm UTC
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Angua » Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:07 am UTC

I'm not sure if the vaccine has really made it out of the states. I think they're going to use it in the elderly population here for shingles, but it's not for children as yet as part of the routine vaccination schedule (and it wasn't at home either).

I got it through occupational health.

edit - I think it would be offered on the NHS in cases like the above where an adult was at risk of getting it.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

User avatar
eran_rathan
Mostly Wrong
Posts: 1848
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:36 pm UTC
Location: in your ceiling, judging you

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby eran_rathan » Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:40 am UTC

My wife is naturally immune, and we checked - both our girls are immune too!

go go evolution!
"Does this smell like chloroform to you?"
"Google tells me you are not unique. You are, however, wrong."
nɒʜƚɒɿ_nɒɿɘ

User avatar
Ptolom
Posts: 1559
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:55 pm UTC
Location: The entropy pool
Contact:

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Ptolom » Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:13 pm UTC

Pfft vaccines. You'll never get the chance to experience the disease properly if you have a vaccine. I don't want to die without knowing what tetanus is like.

User avatar
bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title
Posts: 7461
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:29 pm UTC
Location: Airstrip One

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby bigglesworth » Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:51 pm UTC

Tetanus?
434 - 10M5YIg.gif
434 - 10M5YIg.gif (502.6 KiB) Viewed 9632 times
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

User avatar
Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow
Posts: 3819
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:30 pm UTC
Location: Tucson, Arizona

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Giant Speck » Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:29 pm UTC

addams wrote:
Giant Speck wrote:Oh, it's very simple. You just go to the immunizations clinic and ask for a copy of your records and they print you off a copy. In fact, I should have a copy around my apartment somewhere; you receive a copy every time you get a vaccine and I just got my flu vaccine last week.

Can you read it?
It will be written in a kind of code.

It's literally just a list of the name of the vaccine, which company manufactured the vaccine, the date it was manufactured, the date it was administered it, and the person who administered it to you. It's a pretty easy-to-read record.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

User avatar
SlyReaper
inflatable
Posts: 8015
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:09 pm UTC
Location: Bristol, Old Blighty

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby SlyReaper » Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:03 pm UTC

Angua wrote:I'm not sure if the vaccine has really made it out of the states. I think they're going to use it in the elderly population here for shingles, but it's not for children as yet as part of the routine vaccination schedule (and it wasn't at home either).

I got it through occupational health.

edit - I think it would be offered on the NHS in cases like the above where an adult was at risk of getting it.


Seems plausible. I'd certainly never heard of it. As a dude who has reached adulthood without ever catching chicken pox, the existence of this vaccine is relevant to my interests. It would really suck to catch it now.
Image
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

User avatar
addams
Posts: 10336
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:44 am UTC
Location: Oregon Coast: 97444

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby addams » Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:10 pm UTC

eran_rathan wrote:My wife is naturally immune, and we checked - both our girls are immune too!

go go evolution!

I like you guys. (i wish you were real.)

Hey! Is she Irish?
I have seen some of the weirdest immunities in well...me.

Most of my life I thought Poison Oak was pretty.
Where I grew up, Red Leaves were rare.

I led a group of young men through a stand of Poison Oak.
Some of those bushes were taller than we were.

I thought, "Bushes." The trail ended at that stand of bushes. What we wanted was on the other side.
Breaking trail is hard work. It is harder than, just, walking. I was young, too.

One of the men was in the hospital for five days. They were each and every one all pissed off on one level or the other.
Some were down right dangerous. Have you ever given a man Poison Oak. Blaming me is like blaming The Dog.

What?? I had an immunity to chicken Pox, too.
Some of those immunities wear off.

As we age and immune systems change, again.
Some of those immunities wear off.

Stupid Story Time.
I don't get Poision Oak. I learned to recoginze it and warn others.
I even learned to avoid it, myself. A person never knows.

I got Poison Oak, one time. I was nearly 40. It was not my age that made the difference.
I decided it was The Mind/Body connection. I was frightened. I guess I don't like heights.

I had gone with a bunch of young men to train for Repelling. It Was fun. In Retrospect!
At the time, I liked the ride out into the Wilderness. Megan was with me. I was with Megan.

Megan. My Megan was 6 feet tall, young, strong, beautiful, and No One but No One messed with her.
She was my best friend and hiking partner. I sure had a good time with her.

Megan and me and her boss and best friend, out for a little outdoor fun.
Ralph took 20 of his best behaved ?inmates? What were those guys? Students? Students. ok.

That is how I ended up hanging from a spiders web, nearly 300 feet above Scree.
I was twirling on my little spider web rope, very slowly.

We were up high enough that we could see a long way. The little canyon we were in was connected to larger canyons.
The view was amazing. I was frightened. That rope was specifically designed for that use. It was strong. Ralph was at the top.

I had nothing to fear. But; In my eyes the rope had become a spider web. Strong enough; But, A Spider's Web, non-the-less.
I swear. I could not see that rope as what it was. It did not seem strong enough to hold me suspended in air like that.

I was afraid to move. I had been doing fine. Then what some of the other men had said became important to me.
Some said, "Don't Look Down."
That had worked for me, so far. I was doing fine.

I looked at the cliff face. That was fine. Just like walking down a hall. Kind of boring, but ok.
I was told, "If you spin, keep your eyes up. It is a Heavenly View."

Ok. That works, too.
There was one guy. There is always one guy. Some times more than one guy. What did they say?
"Look down. Why do this or anything else and not really do it?"

Fuck. I looked down. I am glad I waited a while.
They said that, too. The directions were kind of like this.

"Do it right for a while. Make sure you can do it.
Test each skill. *(some guy, whispers, 'that will put you past the point of no return.')*

"Then Look Around. Up. Down. Sideways." "Fuck. Ya' only live once."
Ralph knew what they were talking about. I asked. He said, "ok. Don't take too long. Other guys are waiting."

I could have hung there a long time. Ralph liked me. I think he liked me. He let me go. He liked Megan, Megan seemed to like me.
I did not want to hang there a long time. Ralph knew that. He knew the cowardly type. We Look Down, cry a lttle bit, and get down.

I did not cry. Crying would have been a useless activity. I did not feel like crying. I was scared, not sad.
The scree at the bottom was sharp. That shit would hurt. From where I was death would be nearly instant. That is not so bad.

I was headed down the cliff face. The Paralysis had ended. I bounced into a little intent. It had a bush growing in it. Poison Oak.
I got it between my gloves and my shirt sleeve. On my wrist. It itched. It was red. It had little blisters. It got my attention.

I gave it a lot of thought. Poor other people. No wonder they don't go outside very much. A full body case of that shit would keep nearly anyone indoors.
I wonder if that guy that was in the hospital after a nice walk, went to someplace with no Poison Oak.
He was an outdoorsy kind of man. He was very sensitive to Poison Oak. Maybe he gave up the great outdoors.

I opened this Thread to Rant about something.
That Rant is important to me. Not to you.
That stupid story is better than a Rant.

All I have to Rant about is ech. So much!
Megan and Ralph were so competent and they were nice.
It is easy to be nice for truly competent people.

Ralph knew stuff. Like, How to use that equipment.
I had no problems putting my life in his hands.

The rope turning to spider web was not his fault.
He bought the proper rope. My head turned it into a spider's web.

It turned back into rope when my feet were planted firmly back on TerraFirma.
That was a long time ago. Would I repel today? Can't. ech. It would hurt.

Besides There Is No Ralph. There Is No Megan. I think they were real, There and Then.
They are not real, Here and Now. I guess that is my Rant.

Like a child with no one to play with. Nothing new there?
Humans have always been the way I am.
Humans have always been the way those guys are.

How are they? Those guys? The ones that say, "If I am going to do it, I want to, really, do it."
If I have to Repel I know I can do it. It is one small skill. Knowing how to use the equipment is a big skill.

I did not take that part of the class. I was along for the ride. I did not take the class. I took the final.
The teacher knew I did not know anything. He knew enough for both of us.

Is immunity all in your head? NO!
Get vaccines and think good thoughts.

Thinking you can out think a virus is not a good thought!
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

Mapar
Posts: 129
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:26 am UTC

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Mapar » Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:14 pm UTC

Because my team mates' LaTeX skills suck, I get to deal with all the problems in their shitty code! Yay! Hard-coded equation references, shitty hacks, yada yada...
Hi.

User avatar
phlip
Restorer of Worlds
Posts: 7573
Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 3:56 am UTC
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby phlip » Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:17 pm UTC

I remember when I had chicken pox... out of commission for two weeks, and worse: it happened to coincide with a two-week holiday from school. Then my sister caught it from me, and got to take the first two weeks of term off from school, while I only got to miss out on holidays. So not fair.

Also: I only know about the existence of a vaccine because of that story that was going around before about antivax nutjobs sending tainted candy to each other to spread the pox via the mail, because intentionally giving someone a disease so that they'll be immune is entirely natural and fine, but giving someone an injection so they'll be immune in the same way but without actually having to have the disease first is unnatural and evil. Also, because laws about sending pathogens through the mail are for other people. But then, like ST, I grew up before the vaccine, and don't have kids, so reasonable I wouldn't have heard of it.

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

User avatar
Suzaku
Posts: 279
Joined: Thu May 31, 2012 10:20 am UTC
Location: Tokyo, Japan

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Suzaku » Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:59 am UTC

I can tell you from experience that chicken pox as an adult genuinely sucks.
I caught it from my son a few years back - he got it at kindergarten.

The vaccine is available here (Japan) but it's not part of the standard schedule, which means you have to pay for it. We were going to (he was at the young end of the recommended age range), but he caught it first. Of course, that means the younger ones got it too, and so did I.

Not an experience I would recommend.
Pronouns: he/him/his > they/them/their >> it/it/its
Time Zone: JST (UTC+9)
─────────────────────────
Some guy on the Internet wrote:The thing about the inevitable, it has a bad habit of actually happening.

JudeMorrigan
Posts: 1266
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:26 pm UTC

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby JudeMorrigan » Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:52 pm UTC

A pant about pants: as a fairly tall and skinny guy, it's annoyingly difficult to find clothes that actually fit. Finding pants with a waist equal to the inseam can be challenging at times. Finding ones with a waist that is just a bit smaller than the inseam is obnoxiously difficult. And this isn't even to mention how hard it is to find shirts that don't fit like paint smocks and yet have sleeves that actually cover my arms.

User avatar
SecondTalon
SexyTalon
Posts: 26530
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 2:10 pm UTC
Location: Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Mars. HA!
Contact:

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:13 pm UTC

Find a good tailor, buy things that are oversized one way but just right another, have tailor fix the problem?
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

User avatar
eSOANEM
:D
Posts: 3652
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:39 pm UTC
Location: Grantabrycge

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby eSOANEM » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:19 pm UTC

I don't know what it's like where you live, but some nice shirtmakers here in the UK (such as TM Lewin which has sales fairly regularly) sell shirts by both collar size and sleeve length so they allow a reasonable amount of variation in shape.
my pronouns are they

Magnanimous wrote:(fuck the macrons)

JudeMorrigan
Posts: 1266
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:26 pm UTC

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby JudeMorrigan » Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:33 pm UTC

@SecondTalon - Yeah, I really should be at least taking my clothes to a tailor. Or better yet, getting them bespoke. Sadly, I'm kind of a cheap bastard.

@eSOANEM - The sell them by collar and sleeve length here in the States as well. It's just annoyingly difficult to find ones in a good configuration for me. So long as it's slim or fitted, 16" collars don't look too bad on me. (Although even those sometimes wind up a bit blouse-like.) But it's hard to find sleeves longer than 34/35 in that collar size. Not impossible, particularly if I order on line. But if I want to buy 16-36/37s, which actually cover my forearms, my selection is dramatically reduced. Oftentimes to zero if I want to shop at an actual physical store. (My apologies for the non-metric units. Merika.)

User avatar
bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title
Posts: 7461
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:29 pm UTC
Location: Airstrip One

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby bigglesworth » Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:37 pm UTC

Shirt sizes (like speeds and distances on roads) are among the Imperial unit hangovers of the UK, so don't worry about that one.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

User avatar
Menacing Spike
Posts: 2982
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:25 pm UTC
Location: Fighting the Zombie.

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Menacing Spike » Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:03 pm UTC

JudeMorrigan wrote:A pant about pants: as a fairly tall and skinny guy, it's annoyingly difficult to find clothes that actually fit. Finding pants with a waist equal to the inseam can be challenging at times.


For the pants you can just use belts.

For the shirts, I wear floaty clothes. Except when I have to wear business attire. Then I just keep my arms semi-retracted to the sides and am very miserable.

User avatar
broken_escalator
They're called stairs
Posts: 3312
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:49 am UTC
Location: _| ̄|○

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby broken_escalator » Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:28 pm UTC

Or instead of belts just keep adding layers of underwear until you're beafy enough for the pants. Think of all the ogre/onion analogies you can make!

User avatar
eSOANEM
:D
Posts: 3652
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:39 pm UTC
Location: Grantabrycge

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby eSOANEM » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:12 pm UTC

If you're having trouble with trousers being too loose at the waste, belts are suboptimal as they can add odd creasing and folding at the waist. Braces are a much better solution when the waistband is actually problematic because they don't fold the fabric over on itself but still prevent embarrassing mishaps.
my pronouns are they

Magnanimous wrote:(fuck the macrons)

User avatar
addams
Posts: 10336
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:44 am UTC
Location: Oregon Coast: 97444

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby addams » Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:21 am UTC

I have a Rant.
I have seen something that is so creepy.
It has happened to me, twice.

I have spoken to other people it has happened to.
It does explain why people are less than friendly and open.

I was invited out to a meal.
I asked about the members of the group ability to pay.
I often do. Usually before we enter the cafe.

It is so stupid. One time we went in ordered on separate tickets and ate.
At the end of the meal. I was not enjoying the company of those people, so I got up paid and began to leave.

The people that invited me in began to fuss about credit card problems. They did not pay for their meal.
They expected me to pay. Silly them. I know the people that own the cafe. We fixed it later.

The second time the people that invited me were in a cafe that is used to serving them.
I KNOW! It seems so strange. I made it very clear where my meal and responsibility began and ended.
They became very indigent and walked out in a huff. So weird.

I had heard stories from Way Back in the 1930's.
During the Great Depression (they say there was very little Great about it.)
People did this a lot. People were hungry and desperate.

Some people may be that hungry and desperate, now.
The ones I dealt with are not the Noble Poor. They are idiots.

Well? Is this a depression from War Spending?
Well? Could it happen to a more deserving people?
Well? I know. The wrong people get hurt.
Well? Our people have always been this way?

People have always been this way.
With poverty in the neighborhoods and wealth and riches on the other side of the screen;
People behave worse than ever?

I did take enough history to know this is not the worse behavior humans have ever gotten up to.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

Sheikh al-Majaneen
Name Checks Out On Time, Tips Chambermaid
Posts: 1075
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:17 am UTC

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Sheikh al-Majaneen » Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:22 am UTC

JudeMorrigan wrote:And this isn't even to mention how hard it is to find shirts that don't fit like paint smocks and yet have sleeves that actually cover my arms.

And if they have sleeves that cover your arms, even if they fit in the shoulders, they are often made for people with massive beer bellies. You walk around with these shirts and all that extra fabric hangs from your back.

Clothes shopping is hard.

Though I've had some good luck with Geoffrey Beane, Kenneth Cole, Perry Ellis, and Ralph Lauren.

Who are, people who have never been in my kitchen!

User avatar
3rdtry
Posts: 152
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:46 pm UTC

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby 3rdtry » Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:41 pm UTC

Clothes are stupid. We should just use some kind of (non-toxic) insulation spray foam.

User avatar
Enuja
Posts: 1576
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:40 pm UTC
Location: Chicago, IL
Contact:

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Enuja » Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:41 pm UTC

I, too, have strong feelings about clothes. Clothes are awesome. They serve many practical homeostatic purposes: insulation, sun protection, cooling, and protection from abrasion. They are also great for signalling group affiliation (geek, goth, business professional) and all kinds of individual characteristics. What can be a problem is mass produced clothing of particular sizes. This clothing perfectly fits one person: the fit model, at the size the pattern was modeled at. Everything else is an approximation. If you want clothes to fit you better, have someone tailor them for you, or tailor them yourself. I do a little bit of that, but mostly I just don't worry about the fit of my clothes. Sure, it signals to others that fashion and appearance are not my top priority, but, since they aren't, I'm OK with that. And if my clothes are a bad fit in a problematic functional way, I either give them to someone else or I alter them.

User avatar
addams
Posts: 10336
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:44 am UTC
Location: Oregon Coast: 97444

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby addams » Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:02 pm UTC

Ptolom wrote:Pfft vaccines. You'll never get the chance to experience the disease properly if you have a vaccine. I don't want to die without knowing what tetanus is like.

People don't usually live thought Tetanus without a lot of help.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetanus#Severe_tetanus

I knew a man that did. I did not believe him, at first.
He was old when I met him. He was also bitter, in some ways.

We talked. People used to talk to me, sometimes.
He was bitter about what his father had done.

His father did not 'really' like him. He was like an extra on the stage, on good days.
One bad days it was not that good. Medical care was expensive, as it is now.

The child fell while doing something, outside. It must have been a piece of metal.
I think that might be an anaerobe. Puncture wounds are nerve wracking for the nurse.

The child that man was, became ill with Tetanus. His mother cared for him.
He lived. His story about what that was like was -Honey; Just drop your head for a moments silence.- Only that man can do that story Justice.

When we was able to walk, again; He was crippled.
All of his joints were effected. He did not look any different to his father.

He never had a good word to say about his father.
From what I understand, his father never had a good word to say to him.

Like the Nurture vs Nature conversations.
There are conversations about what hurts more, Physical Pain or Non-Physical? (emotional? mental?)

He was not able to have children of his own. It might have been difficult for him to connect with his own children.
We will never know. He and his wife were like BookEnds.

He was small from having had Tetanus.
She was small because, she is small, her mom was small, her dad was small, both of her sisters are small.
One of her sisters married a Giant.

So weird. Sometimes life IS like Big Fish.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N65tIsAOI_Q

There are little people and huge people.
Don't get Tetanus. What ever you do, don't get Tetanus.

Sometimes when that man was suffering with pain and bunch of other stuff that came from having had untreated Tetanus,
He was angry at his father, all over again.

His wife was so good to him. When he says, "I am angry at my father." it helps her.
For a while she thought he was angry at her.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

User avatar
PolakoVoador
Posts: 1028
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:11 pm UTC
Location: Brazil

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby PolakoVoador » Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:36 pm UTC

Starting a couple of years ago, stores in Brazil decided to join this Black Friday stuff 'Murica so much loves. Of course, this being Brazil, they completly broke and twisted the concept to a mess of dishonesty.

A few days prior to Black Friday, prices start to skyrocket, so the products will be offered with huge "discounts" that end being close to the old price, or sometimes even bigger. Some other stores just blatantly lie about the previous price, so a product which costs, say, $50, will be marketed as "WAS $140, NOW JUST $70!!!"

User avatar
SlyReaper
inflatable
Posts: 8015
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:09 pm UTC
Location: Bristol, Old Blighty

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby SlyReaper » Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:51 pm UTC

Everything and everyone has been conspiring today to piss me off. Just little things, but it adds up to a whole lot of FUCK IT ALL TO HELL.
Image
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

User avatar
addams
Posts: 10336
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:44 am UTC
Location: Oregon Coast: 97444

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby addams » Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:59 pm UTC

PolakoVoador wrote:Starting a couple of years ago, stores in Brazil decided to join this Black Friday stuff 'Murica so much loves. Of course, this being Brazil, they completly broke and twisted the concept to a mess of dishonesty.

A few days prior to Black Friday, prices start to skyrocket, so the products will be offered with huge "discounts" that end being close to the old price, or sometimes even bigger. Some other stores just blatantly lie about the previous price, so a product which costs, say, $50, will be marketed as "WAS $140, NOW JUST $70!!!"

The people, just, go along? Why?
Don't you people talk to each other?

Laughing seems like the best thing to do.
Of course, what do I know?

I learned a lot from Black Friday.
There was a Fleece Ring, of sorts.
http://www.bookrags.com/research/polar-fleece-woi/

Fleece is this stuff that is made from Wool.
There is a synthetic Flease.

Black Friday: I believed the written word. I was going to get some fleece.
I was up in the dark and moving through the city streets.
Into an empty parking lot. Then leaning against the door, in the cold, before dawn.

What?? The fleece were gone. Because, Other people were up at 3:00 am and have been best friends with the owner sense grade school.

Some of the fleece those people had were Amazing. I could not have any. I could look. I could touch.

Today! I could order it on-line!
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.


Return to “General”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 37 guests