Hype your ripe snipes 'n' gripes

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

freezeblade

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby freezeblade » Tue May 13, 2014 4:20 pm UTC

Re: conveyer belt with a divider

There's a major grocery store in calfornia that does it like this: Foods4less, they save money by not having to pay baggers, just people working check-stands. I actually prefer this, as I can bag them myself. I'm sure that Jave D bags correctly, but I have been to far too many stores where the baggers are disaffected youth who hate their jobs and don't give a shit if they crush your lettuice/eggs under a bag of flour, because they are paid far too little to care.
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

Enuja

Postby Enuja » Tue May 13, 2014 4:30 pm UTC

Diadem wrote:
Thirty-one wrote:It also seems to be avoided in the vast majority of cases, even at peak times of the day, by having the conveyor belt push the groceries into an area with a divider that you move back and forth. As for paying and bagging at the same time, that is indeed hard. You could bag as you wait for the last item to be rung up though, pay, and then bag the last few items. You're still spending a few seconds more than with a bagger there, but not a whole lot of time would be saved.

This. This is how every Dutch supermarket, or indeed every European supermarket I have been to, works.

I'm very confused by people here saying that lines get longer without a bagger. The cashier takes your stuff from the conveyor belt, scans it, and puts it onto a conveyor belt at their other side. Then your stuff gets put in bags. Whether you have an employee bagging your stuff, or you bag your own stuff after you are done paying, the throughput in number of customers is exactly the same. Sure, it takes customers slightly more time to bag their own stuff, but that's after they have paid, so that doesn't affect line lengths.

This all seems rather obvious to me. So I'm probably missing something about the way American supermarkets work. Why would having people bag their own stuff increase lines?
I had never heard of, much less seen, a moveable conveyor belt so that one cash register gets more than one bagging area, giving the customers time to bag their own stuff. In American supermarkets, if you would bag your own stuff, it would take up the limited counter space after the cash register, and make the cashier wait for you to empty enough space on the counter.

But I'm not even sure if the bagging areas are actually smaller here. Maybe it's more the car culture. Most people, even large families, do one big grocery shopping trip about once a week, where they get everything they need from one place. That's hundreds of dollars, and at least one, often two, full push carts. That's a lot of stuff. It takes a long time to bag. If every person is carrying a bagful or less, no, it wouldn't take the customers long to bag their stuff. But when each person has lots of bags, it slows the line down to let the customer do it.

Another important fact is that at the vast majority of American supermarkets, the cashier bags the groceries for you. When American customers attempt to bag their own groceries, at best they are usually helping the cashier to bag, so the cashier is still spending time bagging instead of ringing. When the store has a separate employee doing the bagging, the cashier doesn't do any bagging themselves, and so checks out the customers much more quickly.

K-R

Postby K-R » Tue May 13, 2014 4:36 pm UTC

Firefox 29 is the shittiest fucking browser in the history of shitty browsers.

It's completely impossible to actually switch tabs, app tabs are giantly long for some reason, they've decided to use massive icons for everything, shuffle all the menu items around, remove my ability to put the refresh button on the left of the address bar (more customization options than ever!)...I downloaded the classic interface add-on, and now my app tabs are in the middle of the page, my tabs all have close buttons I didn't ask for, I still can't get the "Firefox" button it told me I'd get, I still can't switch tabs by clicking on them and have to cycle through them with Ctrl-Shift-Tab which takes fucking forever when you have 40 of them...I'm not sure what changes it actually thinks it's made.

How do I downgrade this thing to something usable (without losing my settings and open tabs) and prevent it from fucking me over again in the future?

Chen

Postby Chen » Tue May 13, 2014 4:45 pm UTC

Thirty-one wrote:For the record, I don't shoo either, we don't have baggers here. When I'm in Canada, and hit a store that have baggers, I resign to my fate.

I only shoo the baggers if they distinctly ignore what I tell them about how to bag things. I'm pretty methodical when doing my groceries. I load the conveyor going TO the cash with the heavy stuff first so that I can go pack the heavy stuff into my backpack rather than the bags I need to hold in my hands. I tell the baggers to wait and let me put the heavy stuff in my bag. I'd say a solid 50% of the time they don't listen at which point I just grab stuff faster than they can while gshooing them. If they're listening and not grabbing the heavy cans and putting them on top of my bread, I let them do it fine. Even for when they're not grabbing the big heavy things I'd say the baggers make more mistakes packing my bags than me or my GF do, though its probably rare enough (10% of the time I'd guess).

Jave D
chavey-dee

Postby Jave D » Tue May 13, 2014 4:51 pm UTC

Diadem wrote:
Thirty-one wrote:It also seems to be avoided in the vast majority of cases, even at peak times of the day, by having the conveyor belt push the groceries into an area with a divider that you move back and forth. As for paying and bagging at the same time, that is indeed hard. You could bag as you wait for the last item to be rung up though, pay, and then bag the last few items. You're still spending a few seconds more than with a bagger there, but not a whole lot of time would be saved.

This. This is how every Dutch supermarket, or indeed every European supermarket I have been to, works.

I'm very confused by people here saying that lines get longer without a bagger. The cashier takes your stuff from the conveyor belt, scans it, and puts it onto a conveyor belt at their other side. Then your stuff gets put in bags. Whether you have an employee bagging your stuff, or you bag your own stuff after you are done paying, the throughput in number of customers is exactly the same. Sure, it takes customers slightly more time to bag their own stuff, but that's after they have paid, so that doesn't affect line lengths.

This all seems rather obvious to me. So I'm probably missing something about the way American supermarkets work. Why would having people bag their own stuff increase lines?

You are probably not taking into account cultural differences between Americans and normal human beings. We buy loads of stuff.

I have personally never seen a customer able to bag and load a large order - i.e. a few hundred dollars, a packed grocery cart - in anything close to the speed and efficiency as even a mildly competent bagger can. *especially* not when they're dealing with their credit card or cash (or heaven forbid, check), their store card, receipts, and (again, heaven forbid) also talking with the cashier. Sure, in an ideal situation, a smallish order, and a smooth tender process and nothing goes wrong, it's not an issue. But out of the thousands and thousands of customers that go through the store, how many do you think are the ideal customers with the ideal orders?

It doesn't take much to throw a spanner in the works.
  • A phone number doesn't work.
  • A credit card doesn't go through.
  • The card scanner needs a re-swipe.
  • PIN number needs entering.
  • Coupons need to be given out.
  • Some of these coupons will not go through; sorry, Extreme Couponing.
  • Price checks need to be done.
  • Complaints (i.e. about the lack of plastic bags!)
  • Eggs that the customer didn't check beforehand and one or two is cracked so another needs to be brought forth.
  • Items that have gone above the customer's budget and need to be voided.
  • Items that were accidentally scanned because someone's kid put them on the belt.
  • Items that the customer wants to return or get a refund on.
  • Very large orders, i.e. two (or more) carts, anywhere from 600-1000 dollars worth.
On the average, most customers can't deal with any one of these above situations and pay and bag and load in a timely fashion. They just can't, unless they're Doc Ock.

They'll be, at best, standing there bagging their order while another order is, or would otherwise be processed. At some point the cashier has to stop and wait for slow people to move out of the way -- or decide to press on and let the next customer's items move down the belt to literally crush yours as they sit there. Then of course that next customer can't even start bagging until you're done. It's OK, take your time, nobody's in a rush except the three thousand other people.

In short, if you're (or a bagger is) waiting til the order has been scanned and payment given in order to start bagging, you're already holding up the line, already there's a dip in productivity. The system is designed so that the bagger starts bagging the second that first item comes through, and loads as they pile up (to avoid crushing, among other things), so that by the time you've paid, all you have to do is move your cart outside.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue May 13, 2014 5:24 pm UTC

Diadem wrote:I'm very confused by people here saying that lines get longer without a bagger. The cashier takes your stuff from the conveyor belt, scans it, and puts it onto a conveyor belt at their other side. Then your stuff gets put in bags. Whether you have an employee bagging your stuff, or you bag your own stuff after you are done paying, the throughput in number of customers is exactly the same. Sure, it takes customers slightly more time to bag their own stuff, but that's after they have paid, so that doesn't affect line lengths.

Jave D pretty much covered it. But you ignored the process with a bagger as well as cashier.

The Three Party Process (Customer, Cashier, Bagger) works as follows - Customer loads items on belt, belt rolls items to cashier. Cashier scans them (As the customer is continuing to unload stuff) and sends them to the bagger. The bagger takes the item and puts it in one of multiple bags (a good bagger has multiple bags ready so as to more easily put things in proper places so things don't get crushed)

The bagger has likely completed 1-2 bags before the Customer is finished unloading. Sometimes more, depending on how much stuff is being purchased.

In the time it takes the cashier to, after scanning the last thing, verify that there's nothing else (as cigarettes are usually kept in a supervised area, so they must be requested, as well as the customer whipping out coupons from nowhere), run the total (yes, it's a button press), take the payment, run it and verify there's no problems, and give the receipt - the bagger has finished bagging everything and is midway through or completely done with putting it all back in the cart for transportation to the customer's vehicle.

In short, your described the process as
The cashier takes your stuff from the conveyor belt, scans it, and puts it onto a conveyor belt at their other side. Then your stuff gets put in bags.
- with the bagging happening after the fact.

The Bagger system works as
The cashier takes your stuff from the conveyor belt, scans it, puts it onto a conveyor belt at their other side, and the bagger puts your stuff in bags.

Now, if you're buying 20 items or less, I will admit this system is overengineering.

I personally usually hit the grocery store daily, buy whatever I'm cooking that night and anything else we need that I can get there, and then leave. It's rare that I go over 12 items. I also use the self-checker things.

I regularly see 60+ item carts go through the cashier lines. On Wednesday, at 6pm. 100+ item carts are completely normal, it only gets odd when it's a 175+ order. On Wednesday. On Saturday, 175+ item orders are normal, and it's in the 300+ when it gets weird.

Not having an employee dedicated to bagging orders that long would add at least half as much, if not double the length of time it takes to do them. It already takes about five to ten minutes to get through that. Adding another two and a half to ten minutes per customer makes a cashier go from being able to run through 15ish orders an hour down to 6-8.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

speising

Postby speising » Tue May 13, 2014 5:28 pm UTC

when you are buying two carts full, i guess you have a car waiting outside.
so why is bagging an issue at all? drive the cart to the trunk and dump it. you can bag the stuff there at the car, far away from the cashiers.

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Tue May 13, 2014 5:53 pm UTC

Thirty-one wrote:That's a very weird custom to me too. I mean, I understand that they want you out of there as soon as possible, but most people around here seem to stuff their bags fast enough for it not to clog up anyway. Even if they didn't, I'm not sure I'd prefer having some underpaid person doing it for me.
I usually go grocery shopping when I need a lot of items. Self checkout is sloooooow if you're buying more than a couple things. Though it is really nice if everything would fit in one or two bags.

If I have to alternate between scanning and buying (and with several feet of distance between the two processes for the weighing conveyor belt) that's much slower than someone who can do both. Especially since I don't usually have two cards, so the bagging area fills up with nowhere to put things...

SecondTalon wrote:The Bagger system works as
The cashier takes your stuff from the conveyor belt, scans it, puts it onto a conveyor belt at their other side, and the bagger puts your stuff in bags.
Now, if you're buying 20 items or less, I will admit this system is overengineering.
Oh, wait, there's a seperate person for bagging? Maybe I misunderstood the complaint. My local grocery chain doesn't do that, the cashier bags as they scan. The system is pretty quick, though it varies a loooot depending on the cashier.
Last edited by Xeio on Tue May 13, 2014 6:02 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Jave D
chavey-dee

Postby Jave D » Tue May 13, 2014 5:56 pm UTC

speising wrote:when you are buying two carts full, i guess you have a car waiting outside.
so why is bagging an issue at all? drive the cart to the trunk and dump it. you can bag the stuff there at the car, far away from the cashiers.

It's easier to load a couple bags into a car than it is to load each item individually. I mean in the US, most people have a car, but the parking lot is generally not for bagging because people want to park and because it's a dangerous place to be.

Especially with the way people treat parking lots - they will sit like a vulture if they see you loading up your car, waiting for you to move so they can take your space, and who cares about the other cars now trapped behind. It's stupid, people shouldn't wait for spaces (especially if there is a whole dedicated underground parking lot, like there is where I work, that is never full), but there it is. And then people get frustrated and impatient, or are generally careless and inconsiderate, and swerve around and speed off like maniacs. Argh, and like, there's a one-way road at the entrance, right? Two lanes connecting it to the parking lot - one has an arrow pointing in, the other pointing out, so you make a turn onto the parking lot, look for a spot, and as you exit you go to the other one. Too confusing, obviously, so people just exit and enter wherever they feel like. There are stop signs in the lot too, that people basically never pay attention to. In general people are a danger to themselves and to others. I can't tell you how many times I've almost gotten run down, or seen others almost get run down. And you know, when customers have to wait too long in a line, they get more frustrated and stupid-angry and become worse at driving and therefore more dangerous. So this is another reason to make the bagging process more efficient - especially since the baggers are also usually the ones tasked to retrieve the shopping carts from the Parking Lot of Doom.

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Tue May 13, 2014 6:04 pm UTC

I used to work at a Super Wal-mart. I find myself critiquing baggers/cashiers even a decade later. Cripes is it frustrating when a cashier doesn't know what they are doing, especially when you've seen that same cashier every time you've shopped at that store for years. Bagging is an art too, but a simple one. I love/hate it when I give the bagger my reusable bags and they fill them as if they were the flimsy disposable plastic bags. No, they are thick, woven cloth; they can hold more than just a few cans. Load that shit up. I am a 6 foot tall, young, healthy male. Do I look like I am concerned about the weight of the bag? Just keep filling it, Jr.

Chen

Postby Chen » Tue May 13, 2014 6:20 pm UTC

Jave D wrote:They'll be, at best, standing there bagging their order while another order is, or would otherwise be processed. At some point the cashier has to stop and wait for slow people to move out of the way -- or decide to press on and let the next customer's items move down the belt to literally crush yours as they sit there. Then of course that next customer can't even start bagging until you're done. It's OK, take your time, nobody's in a rush except the three thousand other people.

Hmm do you not have the two conveyor system after the cash that is separated by a divider? Basically after the cash you can hold 2 people's worth of groceries. The cashier moves a metal arm that directs things from his conveyor to two separate sides after the cash. That way while one person is bagging, the cashier can continue to process another person's goods without needing to wait for the first person to be done. Unless you have big mismatched orders (two huge orders followed by a tiny one) it usually works well to prevent stalling in the line.

Jave D
chavey-dee

Postby Jave D » Tue May 13, 2014 6:25 pm UTC

Chen wrote:
Jave D wrote:They'll be, at best, standing there bagging their order while another order is, or would otherwise be processed. At some point the cashier has to stop and wait for slow people to move out of the way -- or decide to press on and let the next customer's items move down the belt to literally crush yours as they sit there. Then of course that next customer can't even start bagging until you're done. It's OK, take your time, nobody's in a rush except the three thousand other people.

Hmm do you not have the two conveyor system after the cash that is separated by a divider? Basically after the cash you can hold 2 people's worth of groceries. The cashier moves a metal arm that directs things from his conveyor to two separate sides after the cash. That way while one person is bagging, the cashier can continue to process another person's goods without needing to wait for the first person to be done. Unless you have big mismatched orders (two huge orders followed by a tiny one) it usually works well to prevent stalling in the line.

Where I work there's just the conveyor to load up before the barcode scanner, and a conveyor afterward. These two aren't connected either, except by the cashier him/herself.

It seems other stores in the same chain have slightly different register designs. And of course other stores in the industry have their own too. It'd be nice if there was just one standard ergonomically efficient system, but I can see how to get the one you described in they'd basically have to gut and remove the entire register.

K-R

Postby K-R » Tue May 13, 2014 6:32 pm UTC

K-R wrote:Firefox 29 is the shittiest fucking browser in the history of shitty browsers.

It's completely impossible to actually switch tabs, app tabs are giantly long for some reason, they've decided to use massive icons for everything, shuffle all the menu items around, remove my ability to put the refresh button on the left of the address bar (more customization options than ever!)...I downloaded the classic interface add-on, and now my app tabs are in the middle of the page, my tabs all have close buttons I didn't ask for, I still can't get the "Firefox" button it told me I'd get, I still can't switch tabs by clicking on them and have to cycle through them with Ctrl-Shift-Tab which takes fucking forever when you have 40 of them...I'm not sure what changes it actually thinks it's made.

How do I downgrade this thing to something usable (without losing my settings and open tabs) and prevent it from fucking me over again in the future?

Finally managed to successfully downgrade, and get things looking roughly the way they did before.

Why do people think it's okay to make massive changes to UIs like that? It's only "quicker" if you don't have to unlearn everything you've been doing for your entire life.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Tue May 13, 2014 7:43 pm UTC

What exactly do you feel is drastically different?
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

K-R

Postby K-R » Tue May 13, 2014 8:06 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:What exactly do you feel is drastically different?

...everything?

The refresh button shifted over to the right, the status bar (along with Downloads, FoxClocks, NetVideo Downloader, YesScript, AdBlock Plus and Stylish) disappeared, the menu button was hidden by my theme due to a color clash, the menus were arranged completely differently, the tabs moved up to the top of the browser, the search bar moved, the bookmark button was removed from the address bar, app tabs broke completely, and it was literally impossible to click on tabs, making navigation between them far more trouble than it was worth. App tabs were still clickable, but the icons and the clickable area were below the actual tab.

I'm sure there were other things, that's just off the top of my head. I only spent enough time using it to get rid of it, given that it was basically useless.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Tue May 13, 2014 8:23 pm UTC

Huh? The refresh button is exactly where it's always been, to the right of the URL box. The other buttons shifted a bit, but are still there and doing the same thing, and now there's a handy menu for a bunch of commonly used things. Not sure what your status bar was or looked like, but I suppose if you had extensive add ons you may have to rearrange or rekagigger a few.

Your complaint was about tabbing though, and I'm not seeing anything different about tabbing. I only have about 10 tabs up at a given time though, so, maybe there's something new in handling tabs over that number?

I dunno, the changes seem virtually entirely cosmetic and minor.

Anyway.

A lecture I wanted to attend is being given at the same time as a peers graduation party. Ah well.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

K-R

Postby K-R » Tue May 13, 2014 8:43 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:Huh? The refresh button is exactly where it's always been, to the right of the URL box.

ff29.jpg

The icons, and the clickable area, for the app tabs would not be visible in that screenshot were I still using 29. They'd be off the bottom. None of the other tabs were clickable at all. I could scroll through them, but clicking on them did nothing. Right-clicking on them pulled up the menu for turning toolbars on and off, rather than the menu that ought to show up when you right-click a tab. The close buttons on each tab worked, and were clickable, and caused the entire tab to be highlighted when hovered over (which didn't happen when hovering over any part of a tab other than the close button), and right-clicking on the close tab button brought up the menu that appears when you right-click a tab, but that's obviously utterly useless for bringing the contents of that tab onto the screen.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Tue May 13, 2014 9:38 pm UTC

I'm not certain why you're having any difficulty clicking on tabs.

The image you included I presume is not what my older version looked like, so, that's strange. The refresh button has always been inside and to the right of the URL box.

Seriously, nothing for me changed other than putting a smattering of things in a menu box to the far right, and the tab icons cosmetically looking a bit different. This image is what FireFox 28 looked like for me.. 29 looks virtually identical. I mean, here's v27.

Are you sure you didn't move things around to your liking, and this actually has nothing to do with what version of FireFox you're running?

eSOANEM
:D

Postby eSOANEM » Tue May 13, 2014 11:36 pm UTC

You said the theme removed one of the things, is it a third party/your own theme? If so, it's probably just that, like Izawwlgood says, you/it moved things around but it's not fully compatible with new firefox and so things have gone back to their default locations (by and large).
my pronouns are they

Magnanimous wrote:(fuck the macrons)

K-R

Postby K-R » Wed May 14, 2014 5:23 am UTC

eSOANEM wrote:You said the theme removed one of the things

It wasn't removed, just too similar to the background colour. The only button that used to be in that area was 1Password, and I use it enough to know where it is even if I can't really see it.

Yes, I had things shuffled around and it just unshuffled them, but a) they ought to take that sort of thing into account, and retain the position of everything (the address bar was literally the only thing that didn't move), and b) the refresh button is now part of the address bar, so in the brand new "more customizable than ever" Firefox, I can't put the refresh button where I want it and I can't have the tab bar where I want it either, although the latter is possible with an additional addon.

And none of this explains why the app tab icons and clickable areas were so far below the actual outline of the tabs that they were either concealed behind the 'back' button or obscuring part of the page, depending on tab bar location, or why it was literally impossible to click on any tabs that weren't app tabs.

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Wed May 14, 2014 5:35 am UTC

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/in ... of-firefox

I downgraded to FF28 the other day because I couldn't stand the gigantic button the right and the open design of the tabs. You should make sure you go into Options -> Advanced -> Update and tell it to stop auto-updating too.
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Wed May 14, 2014 5:42 am UTC

K-R wrote:And none of this explains why the app tab icons and clickable areas were so far below the actual outline of the tabs that they were either concealed behind the 'back' button or obscuring part of the page, depending on tab bar location, or why it was literally impossible to click on any tabs that weren't app tabs.

I'm guessing a buggy addon of some kind that hasn't been updated, but claims to be compatible anyway. That happens fairly often, especially shortly after the release of a new version with major changes.

Part of the problem is that Firefox's version number goes up so quickly with such usually-minor changes that addon makers will mark their extensions as compatible with versions way in the future, in the belief that not much will change... and then act surprised when something does change and suddenly their addon doesn't work against a version that they claimed it was compatible with but never tested as it didn't exist yet at the time.

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

Killerofsheep

Postby Killerofsheep » Wed May 14, 2014 12:09 pm UTC

Probably safer than downgrading: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/ho ... ld-firefox

Also, I believe Waterfox has not updated the interface. This may, however, change in future.

K-R

Postby K-R » Wed May 14, 2014 12:40 pm UTC

Tried that, but it still won't let me use the refresh button, give me back anything that looks like the Firefox button, make the app tab icons line up with the actual tabs, or make the tabs clickable.

Clickable tabs are pretty important.

roband

Postby roband » Wed May 14, 2014 12:41 pm UTC

Use Chrome

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Wed May 14, 2014 12:46 pm UTC

The tabs are still clickable. I'm not sure why you think that's an issue. And the refresh button has been part of the URL box for at least the last 3 versions of Firefox.

My kindle died as I was getting to the good part.

roband

Postby roband » Wed May 14, 2014 12:48 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:My kindle died as I was getting to the good part.

I have a Kindle and ([a tablet and a phone] with the Kindle app). It's amazing.

Heisenberg

Postby Heisenberg » Wed May 14, 2014 2:22 pm UTC

speising wrote:in my experience, the bottleneck in supermarkets is the cashier. of course, more personel here would help. i guess we pay them to much to be able to afford that.
Yeah, we pay our baggers next to nothing, but the addition of a single bagger can double the throughput of 2 cashiers. Plus the baggers do all the shit jobs. From unloading trucks and collecting carts to literally cleaning up shit.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Wed May 14, 2014 2:27 pm UTC

roband wrote:

It bugs my fiance a little bit when I use the soft light on my kindle in bed. It would bug her a lot of bit if I used my phone. But yeah, I also have the kindle app on my phone, it's useful when i don't have my kindle.

roband

Postby roband » Wed May 14, 2014 2:31 pm UTC

Ah, my Kindle is a Fire, so it's backlit anyway.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed May 14, 2014 2:33 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:
roband wrote:

It bugs my fiance a little bit when I use the soft light on my kindle in bed. It would bug her a lot of bit if I used my phone. But yeah, I also have the kindle app on my phone, it's useful when i don't have my kindle.

Lower screen brightness and set the Kindle app to night mode!
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

roband

Postby roband » Wed May 14, 2014 2:38 pm UTC

But yeah.. that too. Pale white text on black background is pretty easy going on the eyes.

yurell

Postby yurell » Wed May 14, 2014 2:50 pm UTC

I have adobe on my tablet set to night mode permanently. The white text on black is sooooo much nicer to read.
cemper93 wrote:Dude, I just presented an elaborate multiple fraction in Comic Sans. Who are you to question me?

Pronouns: Feminine pronouns please!

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Wed May 14, 2014 2:54 pm UTC

I use the text reading accessibility feature on my phone to read to me while I drive, walk, or am in bed. It takes some getting used to, and I recommend the Ivona TTS app, but it works.

K-R

Postby K-R » Wed May 14, 2014 4:54 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:The tabs are still clickable. I'm not sure why you think that's an issue.

You seem to be suggesting that the issue is me hallucinating a tab-clicking issue, rather than phlip's far more reasonable explanation of an addon incompatibility causing me to have a problem, but not you.

And the refresh button has been part of the URL box for at least the last 3 versions of Firefox.

For you. Not for me.

eSOANEM
:D

Postby eSOANEM » Wed May 14, 2014 5:04 pm UTC

Dude. You've obviously got some buggy add-on which has fucked things up. This isn't an issue with firefox itself. Try looking for some alternatives skins/add-ones whatever that are *actually* compatible.
my pronouns are they

Magnanimous wrote:(fuck the macrons)

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Wed May 14, 2014 5:58 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
Izawwlgood wrote:
roband wrote:

Lower screen brightness and set the Kindle app to night mode!
My kindle is one of the earlier models, it's not even backlit! The 'soft light on my kindle' I was referring to is actually an LED attachment on a neat little case that runs off the kindle battery.

Oldskool yo.

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Wed May 14, 2014 6:12 pm UTC

I'm pretty sure none of the Kindles (not counting the Fire) are backlit. Kind of defeats the purpose of the e-paper or whatever they call it.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

roband

Postby roband » Wed May 14, 2014 8:12 pm UTC

C'rect

Jave D
chavey-dee

Postby Jave D » Wed May 14, 2014 8:24 pm UTC

This week has been very hot where I live. Me no likey. It's barely tolerable if I'm at home, doing nothing (which is my present state). But if I have to go anywhere or do anything... my car's AC does not work, nor does the driver's side window, so even in short drives it's like an oven. And at work, well, I don't even want to talk about that. Not looking forward to tomorrow.

Return to “General”