Blistering blue barnacles

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

SlyReaper
inflatable

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby SlyReaper » Tue May 20, 2014 8:26 pm UTC

Fuck Fedex.

That is all.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

Tomlidich the second

Postby Tomlidich the second » Tue May 20, 2014 10:05 pm UTC

on a related note watching the package trackers makes me a teensy bit angry about the ineffeciencies of the system.

does it really take 12 hours of sitting in the warehouse to move a box from one truck to the next truck? its not like its customs either, its just a Domestic US package.

then there is the famous "Out for delivery" that shows up around 6 AM the day of delivery, at a center that takes me 10 minutes to drive to. my package usually shows up around 3pm.

I'LL MAKE MY OWN PACKAGE DELIVERY, WITH BLACKJACK, HOOKERS, AND EFFECIENCY!

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Tue May 20, 2014 10:11 pm UTC

Tomlidich the second wrote:I'LL MAKE MY OWN PACKAGE DELIVERY, WITH BLACKJACK, HOOKERS, AND EFFECIENCY!

You have my sword, and my bow, and my axe!
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Tue May 20, 2014 10:16 pm UTC

It take 12 hours of sitting in the warehouse waiting for the delivery truck for your neighborhood to come back from a day's worth of deliveries.

And it takes you 10 minutes to drive to the center, but you don't have to make hundreds of stops along the way.

There are courier services available that will make sure there is a vehicle ready and waiting to take your package at every step, which vehicle travels directly to your location with no other stops along the way. You can, if you like, have a guy drive straight to your door, pick up a package, drive straight to an airport where a plane will be fueled and ready, which will fly directly to another airport where another truck is ready and waiting to drive directly to the destination and hand it over. But that will cost you an arm and a leg.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Tue May 20, 2014 11:18 pm UTC

Speaking of which, Amazon is hiring robotics engineers in Seattle for their drone project of death. That would be amazing if I wasn't woefully underqualified and unwilling to relocate and a little terrified.

Suzaku

Postby Suzaku » Wed May 21, 2014 7:29 am UTC

Reading the last few posts (re: delivery services) makes me so glad I live in Japan. The courier services here are just superb.

Given that plenty of Americans have lived in Japan it's a bit surprising to me that none of them have started a courier service in the US based on Japanese service models; I'd expect them to make a killing, given how poor the competition seems to be.
Pronouns: he/him/his > they/them/their >> it/it/its
Time Zone: JST (UTC+9)
─────────────────────────
Some guy on the Internet wrote:The thing about the inevitable, it has a bad habit of actually happening.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Wed May 21, 2014 8:02 am UTC

Suzaku wrote:Given that plenty of Americans have lived in Japan it's a bit surprising to me that none of them have started a courier service in the US based on Japanese service models; I'd expect them to make a killing, given how poor the competition seems to be.

Assuming it's similar to Korea, I'm pretty sure it's just a population density thing effecting the economics. In a high population density area, you can afford to provide a much higher delivery services because customers are, on average, far closer together. In a lower density country like the US, where every customer might be an hour apart, it's completely impractical.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Wed May 21, 2014 8:37 am UTC

The reason I am angry at FedEx is they left my £1000 telescope outside and it got stolen. Also slightly angry at my neighbour who signed for it and didn't think to secure it.

roband

Postby roband » Wed May 21, 2014 8:54 am UTC

If your neighbour signed for it and it got stolen, FedEx will claim that they did their bit.

yurell

Postby yurell » Wed May 21, 2014 8:59 am UTC

Isn't your neighbour liable for the loss, if they signed for it?
cemper93 wrote:Dude, I just presented an elaborate multiple fraction in Comic Sans. Who are you to question me?

Pronouns: Feminine pronouns please!

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Wed May 21, 2014 9:10 am UTC

roband wrote:If your neighbour signed for it and it got stolen, FedEx will claim that they did their bit.

I'd say that this claim is actually fair. If you signed for it, it's delivered, and out of FedEx's hands.

What is FedEx supposed to have done differently here? Apart from perhaps not giving it to your neighbor.
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister

roband

Postby roband » Wed May 21, 2014 9:14 am UTC

I don't disagree.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Wed May 21, 2014 9:44 am UTC

My view is the package is the responsibility of the delivery company until it's in the hands of the intended recipient. They can't just palm it off on some random guy and wash their hands of it, because I never gave them permission to do that. They should have put a card through the letter box and taken it back to the depot for me to collect.

roband

Postby roband » Wed May 21, 2014 9:51 am UTC

I imagine their response to that is - please inform your neighbours not to accept packages for you in future.

I don't necessarily agree with it, btw.,

Sytri

Postby Sytri » Wed May 21, 2014 9:51 am UTC

SlyReaper wrote:My view is the package is the responsibility of the delivery company until it's in the hands of the intended recipient. They can't just palm it off on some random guy and wash their hands of it, because I never gave them permission to do that. They should have put a card through the letter box and taken it back to the depot for me to collect.

Have you actually sought compensation from FedEx or your neighbour? And what did the neighbour say when it got stolen? "Sorry, I thought it would be OK somewhere that wasn't in my house?"

I've had a few different delivery services and by far the best is DPD. you can request that they deliver to a neighbour if you aren't in, and only that neighbour or if not collect direct from their warehouse. FedEx are now added to my list of delivery companies to not use then. Along with Yodel.
Apathy will kill us all. Or not. Whatever.

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Wed May 21, 2014 9:59 am UTC

SlyReaper wrote:My view is the package is the responsibility of the delivery company until it's in the hands of the intended recipient. They can't just palm it off on some random guy and wash their hands of it, because I never gave them permission to do that. They should have put a card through the letter box and taken it back to the depot for me to collect.

They didn't hand it over to some random guy. They handed it over to your neighbor.

That's an accepted and standard practice for delivery companies, at least where I live, but presumably also where you live, since that's what they did. If you don't want them to deliver stuff to your neighbor, you can let them know, and they won't do so.

Your neighbor is the one who is liable for the loss of the package. If you take him to court, you'd win. The problem is that this costs a lot of time, and will probably be at least as expensive as the package was. Also, it definitely won't improve your relation with your neighbor. Your neighbors insurance probably doesn't cover stuff he let outside, so it would have to come out of his own pocket.

May I just add that your neighbor is a complete idiot. Who the fuck leaves packages outside their house?
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister

Sytri

Postby Sytri » Wed May 21, 2014 10:07 am UTC

Or you could go the small claims court route. it would cost you £140 apparently. Although you'd need to go through a few different steps first.

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Wed May 21, 2014 10:26 am UTC

Unsolicited explanation from a courier:
Spoiler:
I can't speak to any of the bullshit things that have happened to people having parcels delivered home (sounds like just shitty couriers, really), but I can explain the online package tracking thing. Your package has a barcode or similar on it, and at every step of the delivery process there are people with scanner guns, who scan and sort the parcels. When the package reaches a warehouse, it's scanned by the warehouse people, who then mark it in the system as being at the warehouse. Then, they'll put the delivery job into the system, where it's allocated semi-randomly, based on location, availability, and current jobs that a given driver has been assigned. The driver also has the ability to decline a job, as they're paid on a per-job basis and they get to choose whether the job is worth the payment to them. When a driver accepts the job and picks up the parcel, it's scanned and marked as "Out for delivery"...but it's just in the back of some courier's truck, and it'll get delivered whenever they get to your house, which could be anytime at all. It's not ideal, and it might not be how it works in the US, but I don't imagine it'd be too much different to how it works here.
Kewangji: Posdy zwei tosdy osdy oady. Bork bork bork, hoppity syphilis bork.

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?
doogly: Hands waving furiously.

Please use he/him/his pronouns when referring to me.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed May 21, 2014 1:24 pm UTC

Last I knew, UPS didn't make left turns if the could help it. so if you live to the left of the warehouse.... Your shit's getting delivered at 4:55.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

WilliamTheConqueror

Postby WilliamTheConqueror » Wed May 21, 2014 2:31 pm UTC

I think I've got another goddamned sinus infection! I had a lot over the winter, (or possibly one really long sinus infection) and now it's come back. :? I dunno if I should go to the doctor for this, but it's getting really annoying.
addams wrote:Fucking Nature.

Tomlidich the second wrote:You cannot surgically graft enough middle fingers to my body to express how fed up I am with this.

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Wed May 21, 2014 3:32 pm UTC

Adacore wrote:Assuming it's similar to Korea, I'm pretty sure it's just a population density thing effecting the economics. In a high population density area, you can afford to provide a much higher delivery services because customers are, on average, far closer together. In a lower density country like the US, where every customer might be an hour apart, it's completely impractical.

Except that I live in the densest metropolitan area in California. There is really no excuse for them to not walk 20 steps to my fucking gate and ring my god damn doorbell, the gate is just as far from the street as the main walk-up (actually, depending on where they park, it's closer). Not only that but due to lack of parking in my urban area, and how close everyone lives togehter, USPS delevers on foot, so they are probably going to walk by the gate on the way past!

UPS is a different story. fuck those people. (They are the ones who throw my packages over the gate, sometimes breaking them)

(what, isn't over-blowing the situation and cursing what this thread is about?)
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

speising

Postby speising » Wed May 21, 2014 4:34 pm UTC

problem is, the delivering company gets selected by the sender, not the receiver. so you should probably complain to your supplier to choose another company.

K-R

Postby K-R » Wed May 21, 2014 4:35 pm UTC

I bought a DVD from someone on eBay a few months ago, which shipped with tracking. Made it from Pennsylvania to Illinois in a couple of days, and is still allegedly in Chicago.

A presumably completely different copy of the same DVD randomly appeared on my doorstep a couple of days after my DVD landed in Chicago, though, so it works out.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed May 21, 2014 4:57 pm UTC

freezeblade wrote:UPS is a different story. fuck those people. (They are the ones who throw my packages over the gate, sometimes breaking them)

(what, isn't over-blowing the situation and cursing what this thread is about?)
Log it and lodge complaints is the only real advice.

And yeah, that's pretty much all this thread is.

Fuck.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Tomlidich the second

Postby Tomlidich the second » Wed May 21, 2014 8:46 pm UTC

Magnanimous wrote:Speaking of which, Amazon is hiring robotics engineers in Seattle for their drone project of death. That would be amazing if I wasn't woefully underqualified and unwilling to relocate and a little terrified.

That, and every person i brought the subject up with, had the same idea i had when i first heard about it:

"man, a metric TON of those are gonna get shot down and stolen."

Which could make for some very entertaining go pro footage of a drone performing evasive maneuvers from the silly 'mericans trying to shoot at it.

Yablo

Postby Yablo » Wed May 21, 2014 10:29 pm UTC

On a related note, I was at a friend's house one time when there was a knock at the door. I answered, and there was a reasonably attractive sheriff's deputy outside. She immediately scowled at me, threw a manila envelope at my chest, said "Now you've been served!", and stormed off to her car. Once I recovered my senses, I picked up the envelope and inspected it. Not only was it addressed to the house next door, but my friend said that in the six months or so he'd been living there, no one by that name lived next door.
If you like Call of Cthulhu and modern government conspiracy, check out my Delta Green thread.
Please feel free to ask questions or leave comments.

Isaac Hill
Systems Analyst????

Postby Isaac Hill » Wed May 21, 2014 11:07 pm UTC

Tomlidich the second wrote:
Magnanimous wrote:Speaking of which, Amazon is hiring robotics engineers in Seattle for their drone project of death. That would be amazing if I wasn't woefully underqualified and unwilling to relocate and a little terrified.

That, and every person i brought the subject up with, had the same idea i had when i first heard about it:

Which could make for some very entertaining go pro footage of a drone performing evasive maneuvers from the silly 'mericans trying to shoot at it.
My first thought was to wonder if I could catch one with a net. I don't know how sharp the blades are or how much torque they have. I hope to see videos of people who've ordered nets from Amazon waiting outside for the drone to drop off their net, then quickly unwrapping the net and using it to catch the drone.
Alleged "poems"
that don't follow a rhyme scheme
are not poetry

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Wed May 21, 2014 11:39 pm UTC

Then we can technically say they created Skynet.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Thu May 22, 2014 12:01 am UTC

I don't really see it. Why on earth would anyone shoot at a delivery drone? You don't shoot at the delivery truck when it rolls up to your house, even after the driver has got out of it - what makes drones different? And the only people that will know where the drones are going to land in order to steal them will be the people that placed the orders, so Amazon will have all their details to send to the police if they try to steal a drone. I can see there being potential traffic management/collision problems if multiple different companies start using drones ubiquitously, though.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Thu May 22, 2014 12:23 am UTC

Yablo wrote:

On a related note, I was at a friend's house one time when there was a knock at the door. I answered, and there was a reasonably attractive sheriff's deputy outside. She immediately scowled at me, threw a manila envelope at my chest, said "Now you've been served!", and stormed off to her car. Once I recovered my senses, I picked up the envelope and inspected it. Not only was it addressed to the house next door, but my friend said that in the six months or so he'd been living there, no one by that name lived next door.

That's very strange. I was under the impression that (A) police didn't do the serving, you're supposed to get some uninvolved party to do it, and (B) the server is supposed to positively ID the servee before serving, by asking their name at least, which is why you get stereotypical exchanges like "Are you X?" "Who wants to know?"
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

Jave D
chavey-dee

Postby Jave D » Thu May 22, 2014 4:25 am UTC

Jave D wrote:My lower back has much pain, yesterday and today. Hurts to sit down, to get up, to lie down, and especially any kind of bending over, even just a little bit. I could go to a doctor, but all they would have is a pamphlet of back exercises and possibly pain pills, the latter which I definitely don't want and the former is not needed to see a doctor to get. I'm hoping it'll just go away. This is my strategy for all life problems too.

I spent most of the rest of Monday, and most of yesterday and today as well, lying in bed. At first this seemed to help a little bit, but now it seems to be almost as bad again as it was Monday. Putting on my shoes, which requires an amount of bending over, is proving quite the chore. I seriously don't know what to do here. Visit the ER? See a doctor? One of these, I'm sure, costs more than the other, but I don't know which, and really I can't be affording it either way. Also my vision seems to be getting worse, I've noticed it more and more lately, it's hard to read things on computer screens or digital readouts (i.e. clocks) or things that are far away that I used to have no trouble with. I think this is an unrelated issue, though it does relate to how my body is rapidly falling apart and my life is just generally going to shit.

addams

Postby addams » Thu May 22, 2014 6:32 am UTC

Jave D wrote:
Jave D wrote:My lower back has much pain, yesterday and today. Hurts to sit down, to get up, to lie down, and especially any kind of bending over, even just a little bit. I could go to a doctor, but all they would have is a pamphlet of back exercises and possibly pain pills, the latter which I definitely don't want and the former is not needed to see a doctor to get. I'm hoping it'll just go away. This is my strategy for all life problems too.

I spent most of the rest of Monday, and most of yesterday and today as well, lying in bed. At first this seemed to help a little bit, but now it seems to be almost as bad again as it was Monday. Putting on my shoes, which requires an amount of bending over, is proving quite the chore. I seriously don't know what to do here. Visit the ER? See a doctor? One of these, I'm sure, costs more than the other, but I don't know which, and really I can't be affording it either way. Also my vision seems to be getting worse, I've noticed it more and more lately, it's hard to read things on computer screens or digital readouts (i.e. clocks) or things that are far away that I used to have no trouble with. I think this is an unrelated issue, though it does relate to how my body is rapidly falling apart and my life is just generally going to shit.

Jave; You need medical advice.
Simple muscle stiffness would have gone away.

Back pain can be a big deal.
It can be so many things.

It may be a spinal injury.
Our backs are a weakness of ours.

Proof we were not meant to walk upright?
No. Proof we were not meant for Hard Labor.

Back pain can be referred pain.
From where? A medial exam may sort it out.

From what I understand back pain is more treatable now than ever before.
But; You must go to the doctor to find out why it hurts you.

Yes. Some doctors will want to throw pain pills at you.
Not all. Many will respect your decisions. Just, go.

WilliamTheConqueror wrote:I think I've got another goddamned sinus infection! I had a lot over the winter, (or possibly one really long sinus infection) and now it's come back. :? I dunno if I should go to the doctor for this, but it's getting really annoying.

You, too. You need medical advice.
Reoccurring sinus infections can be a big deal.

You may need a specialist.
Those Ear, Nose and Throat guys know everything about how that tissue works.

I have seen people battle sinus infections.
Something about the way that tissue works makes it a tough fight.

Quick edit Rant: People in Civilized Nations go to the doctor.
They are treated as well as the practitioner can treat them.

It is a damn shame the people of the US do not have a Right to medical care.
Things are worse than before we attempted to get medical.

One man can receive a Brand New Heart.
Another man dies of an easily treated infection.

One man lives like a God.
The other does not live.

It, sort of, upsets me.
How can we be so stupid and selfish with one another?
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

Sytri

Postby Sytri » Thu May 22, 2014 8:14 am UTC

Jave D wrote:

Try These do them every day for a few days. If you don't get better then definitely see a doctor. And it's better to be active than lay in bed when you've hurt your back. I know you won't feel like it but you need to get out of bed and walk around.

Hope that helps.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Thu May 22, 2014 8:37 am UTC

Back pain sucks, and I hope you start feeling better. Both of my parents have chronic back/neck pain, so I try to pay attention to my posture... Really not looking forward to that.

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Thu May 22, 2014 9:56 am UTC

Hm... I suppose shooting down/netting an Amazon drone may technically be illegal...

What if I just managed to tie it to a tree? There's no law against tying drones to trees, that I'm currently aware of.

And I'll be putting the unemployed delivery driver back to work as Amazon is going to have to hire him back to go cut 'em all loose.

...la peste del insomnio.

addams

Postby addams » Thu May 22, 2014 2:17 pm UTC

Sytri wrote:
Jave D wrote:

Try These do them every day for a few days. If you don't get better then definitely see a doctor. And it's better to be active than lay in bed when you've hurt your back. I know you won't feel like it but you need to get out of bed and walk around.

Hope that helps.

I hope it does, too.

Those are treatments for back pain that has been diagnosed as simple silly human muscle soreness.
It may not be a good idea to push on through the pain of an undiagnosed back pain.

I don't know what is hurting Jave.
I don't know if Jave is real.

I do know Jave should get some medical advice from someone that knows something and has a team backing them up.
The medical tools are so good. It is possible to Rule Out all sorts of things.

What it is, we may not know.
In a few days they can know what it is Not.

It can be done without breaking much of his skin.
A little blood work might be in Order.

That does not hurt much.
The imagining tools are Amazing.

Watching those imagoes come over a screen is very cool.
There are a lot of us that need good medical care that can't get good medical care.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Tomlidich the second

Postby Tomlidich the second » Thu May 22, 2014 8:25 pm UTC

Adacore wrote:I don't really see it. Why on earth would anyone shoot at a delivery drone? You don't shoot at the delivery truck when it rolls up to your house, even after the driver has got out of it - what makes drones different? And the only people that will know where the drones are going to land in order to steal them will be the people that placed the orders, so Amazon will have all their details to send to the police if they try to steal a drone. I can see there being potential traffic management/collision problems if multiple different companies start using drones ubiquitously, though.

You are missing the point, its the package people want, not the drone. makes no sense to shoot it if you are the recipient.

>see drone flying overhead
>shoot it, making it fall in the street
>grab package
>leave remains of shattered drone and run.

pretty sure someone could get a reasonable amount of these things once they figure out the flight patterns, who orders stuff most frequently, and where the drones come from.

addams

Postby addams » Thu May 22, 2014 9:34 pm UTC

Adacore wrote:I don't really see it. Why on earth would anyone shoot at a delivery drone? You don't shoot at the delivery truck when it rolls up to your house, even after the driver has got out of it - what makes drones different? And the only people that will know where the drones are going to land in order to steal them will be the people that placed the orders, so Amazon will have all their details to send to the police if they try to steal a drone. I can see there being potential traffic management/collision problems if multiple different companies start using drones ubiquitously, though.

You are missing the point, its the package people want, not the drone. makes no sense to shoot it if you are the recipient.

>grab package

pretty sure someone could get a reasonable amount of these things once they figure out the flight patterns, who orders stuff most frequently, and where the drones come from.

Someone made the observation that shooting a Drone for fun might be a uniquely American trait.
I don't think it is. It is an American trait. Drones are like ittle flying ducks.

Americans are armed and ready to take on any New Target.
How could we Not be?

We are Human!
We have a Tool!

Poor Little Drones have a dangerous life.
There are so many personal Drones out over The Bay.

I wonder when we will need Air Traffic Contol?
Like boats have.

Don't boats have one direction over here?
A different direction over there?

Like Cars?
Little Flying Package Delivery Systems.

Better than Pigeons.
Not as autonomous as Owls?

It might be Wrong to shoot a Drone.
I don't think that will slow us down.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

eSOANEM
:D

Postby eSOANEM » Thu May 22, 2014 10:11 pm UTC

Now I'm imagining skyrim-bandit style encounters but instead if adventurers it's drones and instead of bows and swords, the bandits have guns and chainsaws.

They still wear the fur and armour.
my pronouns are they

Magnanimous wrote:(fuck the macrons)

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Thu May 22, 2014 11:04 pm UTC

Tomlidich the second wrote:You are missing the point, its the package people want, not the drone. makes no sense to shoot it if you are the recipient.

>grab package

I really did not think the US was this much of a lawless wasteland. Can people really just shoot at the sky (drone-related thievery or not), and get away with it reliably? You'd think the police would get involved pretty quickly in something like that. Airbourne bullets are dangerous, if nothing else. Maybe this happens a couple of times, but if it happens more than once, it'd be pretty easy for Amazon to notify the police of where people are shooting down their drones and have them set up some surveillance - I assume they'd have live tracking/reporting systems.

And who would risk shooting down a drone for what is just as likely to be a stuffed toy for a child's birthday as it is something with significant value?

Return to “General”