Hype your ripe snipes 'n' gripes

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

User avatar
Quercus
Posts: 1810
Joined: Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:22 pm UTC
Location: London, UK
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread : For all your obscenity screaming needs

Postby Quercus » Sat Feb 14, 2015 5:59 pm UTC

Angua wrote:There's nothing more obnoxious than people telling other people that they can't complain about being upset/annoyed by something because other people have it worse.


I hear you - hardship top trumps is among the shittiest of games.

User avatar
Pfhorrest
Posts: 5474
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:11 am UTC
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread : For all your obscenity screaming needs

Postby Pfhorrest » Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:40 pm UTC

ARGH*&^%$#@! Somehow mom used up 90% of our mobile share plan's data in one fucking night (after using up 10% in the previous two days), and I have to shut her off again. This less than a week into the new billing period, after having to shut her off for a week or two already at the end of last billing period. What the fuck is she doing that's sucking up so much data. I told her: I got her internet so she can email look things up on Wikipedia and Google for phone numbers and addresses and basic functional textual data that she needs to get by in the modern world, but she must be fucking trying to watch Netflix on her cell phone or something instead, gah…

(And her fucking landlords/housemates/the-people-she-sublets-from are morons who think letting her on their wifi will somehow slow down their TV or else cost them more money or something, so she can't just fucking use the wifi like every other fucking person in the fucking world does, fuck. I live on the internet and I use <100MB/mo on mobile data because fucking wifi motherfuckers, use it!).
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

User avatar
K-R
Posts: 1564
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:42 pm UTC
Location: Australia

Re: Rant Thread : For all your obscenity screaming needs

Postby K-R » Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:28 pm UTC

Angua wrote:I just saw my cousin-in-law's (ie, a married person) status saying 'you don't have a valentine on valentine's day? Some people don't have a mother on mother's day, or a father on father's day, so shut up'. As someone who feels sad on father's day, I feel it was pretty similar to how I felt on valentine's day when I was single because feeling lonely when everyone around you is shoving their coupleness in your face is pretty awful. In some ways, the valentine's day thing was worse because you kind of feel that it's your fault and people tend to care less about how you're feeling, whereas if you say 'my dad's birthday would have been today as well' on father's day, then people feel bad for even bringing it up and say how sorry they are for you.

Not sure if it's variant significance by culture, or just the fact that Valentine's Day is the only one that really bothers me any, but I also find it's generally much harder to avoid.

Not to mention, I find the entire idea of Valentine's Day to be shitty anyway. And anniversaries, and really anything that arbitrarily says two people have to love each other more on a certain day because reasons.

Semi-relatedly: whoever decided that women aren't allowed to ask men out should be shot.

User avatar
Izawwlgood
WINNING
Posts: 18686
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:55 pm UTC
Location: There may be lovelier lovelies...

Re: Rant Thread : For all your obscenity screaming needs

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:11 am UTC

K-R wrote:Not to mention, I find the entire idea of Valentine's Day to be shitty anyway. And anniversaries, and really anything that arbitrarily says two people have to love each other more on a certain day because reasons.
I'm with you on the arbitrariness of a lot of holidays, but I hope you recognize that sometimes people enjoy having a special day set aside to appreciate one another. "Because reasons" can include, you know, getting married, which isn't exactly arbitrary.

K-R wrote:Semi-relatedly: whoever decided that women aren't allowed to ask men out should be shot.
Yes, good thing social conventions change and that women can ask men out. You know, now, or something.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

User avatar
ameretrifle
Vera
Posts: 814
Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:32 am UTC
Location: Canada (the flat bit)

Re: Rant Thread : For all your obscenity screaming needs

Postby ameretrifle » Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:37 am UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:
K-R wrote:Not to mention, I find the entire idea of Valentine's Day to be shitty anyway. And anniversaries, and really anything that arbitrarily says two people have to love each other more on a certain day because reasons.
I'm with you on the arbitrariness of a lot of holidays, but I hope you recognize that sometimes people enjoy having a special day set aside to appreciate one another. "Because reasons" can include, you know, getting married, which isn't exactly arbitrary.

Yeah, the intent is that it's a day to be reminded not to take your SO for granted, or to pursue a crush you might have been scared to, etc. That was the idea, and that's hardly such a bad thing. The reality is often totally different, however. It's bad that a lot of people take these days to feel bad about themselves, because society says you're doing something wrong if you haven't found a specific sort of romantic relationship. It's bad that a lot of people have absorbed the sitcom-y "Oh me yarm I forgot our anniversary she'll killlll meeee" idea and implemented it in their lives. But those are implementations of the idea, not the idea itself. Valentine's Day et all are ideas that can be used for good but are too often used for evil. In short, I agree, fuck the patriarchy.

K-R wrote:Semi-relatedly: whoever decided that women aren't allowed to ask men out should be shot.
Yes, good thing social conventions change and that women can ask men out. You know, now, or something.

They can, but a whole lot of women aren't ready to believe that, or to act on it. It takes courage for anyone to ask out another person, but not having a cultural map allowing you to, or setting out a model for you to follow, makes it even more difficult. In short, I agree, fuck the patriarchy.

User avatar
K-R
Posts: 1564
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:42 pm UTC
Location: Australia

Re: Rant Thread : For all your obscenity screaming needs

Postby K-R » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:22 am UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:
K-R wrote:Not to mention, I find the entire idea of Valentine's Day to be shitty anyway. And anniversaries, and really anything that arbitrarily says two people have to love each other more on a certain day because reasons.
I'm with you on the arbitrariness of a lot of holidays, but I hope you recognize that sometimes people enjoy having a special day set aside to appreciate one another. "Because reasons" can include, you know, getting married, which isn't exactly arbitrary.

I've never understood why the date of marriage is always seen as more significant than the date of the engagement. But regardless, one year after those things is arbitrary. If a couple goes and lives on that Mars colony that was all over the news a while back, their anniversary changes. The way they feel about each other probably doesn't.

If two people want to set aside a day for themselves that has special meaning to them, then sure. Everyone else dictated to those two people which days are and aren't special, on the other hand, is silly.



ameretrifle wrote:
K-R wrote:Semi-relatedly: whoever decided that women aren't allowed to ask men out should be shot.
Yes, good thing social conventions change and that women can ask men out. You know, now, or something.

They can, but a whole lot of women aren't ready to believe that, or to act on it.

This. Hell, I only brought it up because I know a woman at the moment who's clearly trying to get me to ask her out, instead of just going for it herself.

User avatar
Izawwlgood
WINNING
Posts: 18686
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:55 pm UTC
Location: There may be lovelier lovelies...

Re: Rant Thread : For all your obscenity screaming needs

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:57 pm UTC

TIL going to Mars changes the past.

Also, that it's cool to set aside a day you and your loved one can celebrate one another, but only if no one else thinks it's special.

Also, if this girl is jonesing to ask you out but can't do it herself, why don't you ask her? Or tell her you aren't interested?
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

User avatar
K-R
Posts: 1564
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:42 pm UTC
Location: Australia

Re: Rant Thread : For all your obscenity screaming needs

Postby K-R » Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:27 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:TIL going to Mars changes the past.

Not the past, just the length of a year.

Also, if this girl is jonesing to ask you out but can't do it herself, why don't you...tell her you aren't interested?

Not really the sort of thing I can just bring up out of the blue.

User avatar
Izawwlgood
WINNING
Posts: 18686
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:55 pm UTC
Location: There may be lovelier lovelies...

Re: Rant Thread : For all your obscenity screaming needs

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:53 pm UTC

Just means you adopt a new calender. You don't celebrate your anniversary every 1.9 years, you celebrate it every 354 sols, or there abouts.

Why not? You just gave a big 'Damn the Man!' for 'telling her' she couldn't ask you out (and of course, her buying into it!). What's keeping you from bringing it up?
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

User avatar
natraj
Posts: 1895
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:13 pm UTC
Location: away from Omelas

Re: Rant Thread : For all your obscenity screaming needs

Postby natraj » Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:47 pm UTC

also who cares if you go to live on mars. you're not living on mars. nobody is living on mars. it's unlikely that very many people will be living on mars any time soon so it's completely and utterly irrelevant to the facts of how anyone CHOOSES to celebrate what days are special to them. and yes, it's a choice. if you don't care about your anniversary don't celebrate it. pick a different day, celebrate that. celebrate nothing.

but you're not living on mars and neither is anyone else so i'm not sure in what way it's even remotely relevant to what calendars anyone here on earth is using to mark time.
You want to know the future, love? Then wait:
I'll answer your impatient questions. Still --
They'll call it chance, or luck, or call it Fate,
The cards and stars that tumble as they will.

pronouns: they or he

User avatar
roband
Posts: 2545
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:52 pm UTC
Location: UK

Re: Rant Thread : For all your obscenity screaming needs

Postby roband » Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:56 pm UTC

Those fixating on Mars have it twisted. He's on about things being arbitrary - which they are.

User avatar
Quercus
Posts: 1810
Joined: Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:22 pm UTC
Location: London, UK
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread : For all your obscenity screaming needs

Postby Quercus » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:04 pm UTC

Unless you live in the tropics (and not in a monsoon area), or completely indoors, one year is anything but arbitrary. It's one complete revolution of the seasons. For anniversaries that can mean things like a flower being in bloom that reminds you of your wedding. The exact date is probably of little significance here, but there's a hell of a difference between celebrating something in late autumn vs. the start of spring for example.

I like spending a lot of time outdoors so I probably feel this more strongly than most, but for me the turn of the seasons is immensely important. I was so excited yesterday to see the first early blossoms of the year on the trees, and the smell of them instantly reminded me of previous springs.

User avatar
gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett
Posts: 26820
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:02 pm UTC
Location: Here and There
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread : For all your obscenity screaming needs

Postby gmalivuk » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:09 pm UTC

Quercus wrote:I was so excited yesterday to see the first early blossoms of the year on the trees, and the smell of them instantly reminded me of previous springs.

I wonder if enough of the moderators live in Boston that we could push through a forum rule prohibiting anyone from talking about spring until we stop getting weekly blizzards.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

User avatar
pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man
Posts: 5100
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:30 pm UTC
Location: Kansas City
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread : For all your obscenity screaming needs

Postby pseudoidiot » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:16 pm UTC

If it makes you feel better I jinxed the weather when I joked about midwest weather on FB. Instead of being in the 50s today we got a couple inches of snow and it's in the low double digits.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

User avatar
Quercus
Posts: 1810
Joined: Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:22 pm UTC
Location: London, UK
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread : For all your obscenity screaming needs

Postby Quercus » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:17 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:
Quercus wrote:I was so excited yesterday to see the first early blossoms of the year on the trees, and the smell of them instantly reminded me of previous springs.

I wonder if enough of the moderators live in Boston that we could push through a forum rule prohibiting anyone from talking about spring until we stop getting weekly blizzards.


As long as we get a reciprocal rule preventing you lot from talking about how beautiful Fall is when it's yet again dark, raining and brown in England.

User avatar
Izawwlgood
WINNING
Posts: 18686
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:55 pm UTC
Location: There may be lovelier lovelies...

Re: Rant Thread : For all your obscenity screaming needs

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:02 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:
Quercus wrote:I was so excited yesterday to see the first early blossoms of the year on the trees, and the smell of them instantly reminded me of previous springs.

I wonder if enough of the moderators live in Boston that we could push through a forum rule prohibiting anyone from talking about spring until we stop getting weekly blizzards.
I remember the warmth, but only distantly
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

User avatar
Whizbang
The Best Reporter
Posts: 2238
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:50 pm UTC
Location: New Hampshire, USA

Re: Rant Thread : For all your obscenity screaming needs

Postby Whizbang » Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:19 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:
gmalivuk wrote:
Quercus wrote:I was so excited yesterday to see the first early blossoms of the year on the trees, and the smell of them instantly reminded me of previous springs.

I wonder if enough of the moderators live in Boston that we could push through a forum rule prohibiting anyone from talking about spring until we stop getting weekly blizzards.
I remember the warmth, but only distantly



More coming tomorrow and possibly more on Sunday as well.

User avatar
K-R
Posts: 1564
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:42 pm UTC
Location: Australia

Re: Rant Thread : For all your obscenity screaming needs

Postby K-R » Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:48 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:Why not? You just gave a big 'Damn the Man!' for 'telling her' she couldn't ask you out (and of course, her buying into it!). What's keeping you from bringing it up?

"Women shouldn't ask men out" is significantly stupider than "people shouldn't randomly go up to other people and tell them they don't like them."

User avatar
Quercus
Posts: 1810
Joined: Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:22 pm UTC
Location: London, UK
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread : For all your obscenity screaming needs

Postby Quercus » Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:05 pm UTC

Actually I'm going to remove what I posted here. Sorry, I shouldn't be giving unsolicited advice, it's a bad habit of mine for which I apologize.

User avatar
Izawwlgood
WINNING
Posts: 18686
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:55 pm UTC
Location: There may be lovelier lovelies...

Re: Rant Thread : For all your obscenity screaming needs

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:15 pm UTC

K-R wrote:
Izawwlgood wrote:Why not? You just gave a big 'Damn the Man!' for 'telling her' she couldn't ask you out (and of course, her buying into it!). What's keeping you from bringing it up?

"Women shouldn't ask men out" is significantly stupider than "people shouldn't randomly go up to other people and tell them they don't like them."
K-R wrote: I know a woman at the moment who's clearly trying to get me to ask her out, instead of just going for it herself.
I think you need to reevaluate the term 'random'.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

User avatar
gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett
Posts: 26820
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:02 pm UTC
Location: Here and There
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread : For all your obscenity screaming needs

Postby gmalivuk » Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:20 pm UTC

Quercus wrote:As long as we get a reciprocal rule preventing you lot from talking about how beautiful Fall is when it's yet again dark, raining and brown in England.
When England finds itself with crippling, record-breaking levels of dark rainy brown, let's talk.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

User avatar
Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Posts: 5941
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:42 pm UTC
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Re: Rant Thread : For all your obscenity screaming needs

Postby Angua » Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:22 pm UTC

To be fair, we did have a bunch of flooding around this time last year. That should count?
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

User avatar
Quercus
Posts: 1810
Joined: Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:22 pm UTC
Location: London, UK
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread : For all your obscenity screaming needs

Postby Quercus » Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:30 pm UTC

Angua wrote:To be fair, we did have a bunch of flooding around this time last year. That should count?


Wettest, stormiest winter for 250 years as I recall. My colleague spent three months living in the upper floor of a flooded house, commuting to work (partially) by rowboat.

But, sorry - I forgot how bad it was round by you (hasn't featured much in the news here). I hope you get better weather soon.

User avatar
eran_rathan
Mostly Wrong
Posts: 1846
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:36 pm UTC
Location: in your ceiling, judging you

Re: Rant Thread : For all your obscenity screaming needs

Postby eran_rathan » Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:35 pm UTC

pseudoidiot wrote:If it makes you feel better I jinxed the weather when I joked about midwest weather on FB. Instead of being in the 50s today we got a couple inches of snow and it's in the low double digits.


ah, double digit temperatures. I've missed those.
"Does this smell like chloroform to you?"
"Google tells me you are not unique. You are, however, wrong."
nɒʜƚɒɿ_nɒɿɘ

User avatar
K-R
Posts: 1564
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:42 pm UTC
Location: Australia

Re: Rant Thread : For all your obscenity screaming needs

Postby K-R » Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:36 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:I think you need to reevaluate the term 'random'.

Yeah, nah.



gmalivuk wrote:
Quercus wrote:As long as we get a reciprocal rule preventing you lot from talking about how beautiful Fall is when it's yet again dark, raining and brown in England.
When England finds itself with crippling, record-breaking levels of dark rainy brown, let's talk.

How exactly does one measure "dark rainy brown"?

User avatar
roband
Posts: 2545
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:52 pm UTC
Location: UK

Re: Rant Thread : For all your obscenity screaming needs

Postby roband » Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:37 pm UTC

The weather made me not leave the house today. How's that?

User avatar
Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Posts: 5941
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:42 pm UTC
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Re: Rant Thread : For all your obscenity screaming needs

Postby Angua » Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:38 pm UTC

K-R wrote:
gmalivuk wrote:
Quercus wrote:As long as we get a reciprocal rule preventing you lot from talking about how beautiful Fall is when it's yet again dark, raining and brown in England.
When England finds itself with crippling, record-breaking levels of dark rainy brown, let's talk.

How exactly does one measure "dark rainy brown"?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rain_gauge
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

User avatar
K-R
Posts: 1564
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:42 pm UTC
Location: Australia

Re: Rant Thread : For all your obscenity screaming needs

Postby K-R » Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:44 pm UTC

Angua wrote:
K-R wrote:
gmalivuk wrote:
Quercus wrote:As long as we get a reciprocal rule preventing you lot from talking about how beautiful Fall is when it's yet again dark, raining and brown in England.
When England finds itself with crippling, record-breaking levels of dark rainy brown, let's talk.

How exactly does one measure "dark rainy brown"?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rain_gauge

That measures neither darkness nor brownness.

User avatar
gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett
Posts: 26820
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:02 pm UTC
Location: Here and There
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread : For all your obscenity screaming needs

Postby gmalivuk » Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:47 pm UTC

Angua wrote:To be fair, we did have a bunch of flooding around this time last year. That should count?
I can pretty confidently guarantee that no one around Boston is going to be talking about how nice and dry and sunny it is around this time of any year.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

User avatar
Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Posts: 5941
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:42 pm UTC
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Re: Rant Thread : For all your obscenity screaming needs

Postby Angua » Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:53 pm UTC

Maybe, but you could be talking about lovely cool and crisp winter mornings. I hear those are a thing.

Basically, any weather taken to the extreme is going to be terrible, and also a massive problem for people. So dark rainy brown can be crippling, as can massive mountains of white. It's kind of hard to avoid talking about contrasting weather when one area is currently undergoing an extreme.

I mean, by all means rant away (this is the rant thread), but implying that a different type of weather isn't going to/hasn't caused similar problems is a bit unfair.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

User avatar
freezeblade
Posts: 1405
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:11 pm UTC
Location: Oakland

Re: Rant Thread : For all your obscenity screaming needs

Postby freezeblade » Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:57 pm UTC

Re: signs of spring.

All the plum trees are flowering here right now. It was 75F outside yesterday.
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

User avatar
poxic
Eloquently Prismatic
Posts: 4756
Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:28 am UTC
Location: Left coast of Canada

Re: Rant Thread : For all your obscenity screaming needs

Postby poxic » Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:28 pm UTC

Yeah, but you're Oakland. Up here we should be just about done with frost and starting to see spring weather. This year, our last frost was probably Jan 5.

I would upload a photo of the three square feet of garden that I took last week, containing ~100 snowdrops and 15 crocuses, but I have no suitable femto-USB cables to get the damn pic off my phone.
The Supreme Ethical Rule: Act so as to elicit the best in others and thereby in thyself.
- Felix Adler, professor, lecturer, and reformer (13 Aug 1851-1933)

User avatar
gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett
Posts: 26820
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:02 pm UTC
Location: Here and There
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread : For all your obscenity screaming needs

Postby gmalivuk » Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:41 pm UTC

This was before our latest blizzard.
Image
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

User avatar
K-R
Posts: 1564
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:42 pm UTC
Location: Australia

Re: Rant Thread : For all your obscenity screaming needs

Postby K-R » Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:55 pm UTC

Before this turns into a weather thread: what's with Blu-Rays burying the special features within the movie itself and making them impossible to watch separately? I just watched the movie. I don't want to watch the movie again so you can intermittently chip in with behind-the-scenes clips I should be able to watch on their own. I especially don't want to have to sit through a longer version of the movie so you can pause it to tell me things I already know ("Neville has picked up the Sorting Hat. The Sorting Hat was last seen in the second film.") or read the book the film is adapted from. I have the book. If I wanted to read the book I'd read the damn book.

User avatar
Whizbang
The Best Reporter
Posts: 2238
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:50 pm UTC
Location: New Hampshire, USA

Re: Rant Thread : For all your obscenity screaming needs

Postby Whizbang » Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:58 pm UTC

Snow.jpg
Snow.jpg (3.8 KiB) Viewed 3419 times


This was taken from my front window.

User avatar
Izawwlgood
WINNING
Posts: 18686
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:55 pm UTC
Location: There may be lovelier lovelies...

Re: Rant Thread : For all your obscenity screaming needs

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:04 pm UTC

I saw the sun today! For a second. From under my ice tunnel.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

User avatar
SurgicalSteel
Posts: 1926
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:18 pm UTC
Location: DMV, USA

Re: Rant Thread : For all your obscenity screaming needs

Postby SurgicalSteel » Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:03 am UTC

gmalivuk wrote:I wonder if enough of the moderators live in Boston that we could push through a forum rule prohibiting anyone from talking about spring until we stop getting weekly blizzards.
After hearing about the Northeast and Western New York from my family, I find it kind of funny that Northern Virginia is about to completely shutdown for an anticipated 8 inches of snow. Which will probably end up being about 2 or 3.
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

User avatar
gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett
Posts: 26820
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:02 pm UTC
Location: Here and There
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread : For all your obscenity screaming needs

Postby gmalivuk » Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:07 am UTC

Here's our "back yard".
Attachments
IMG_20150216_153141_767.jpg
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Killerofsheep
Posts: 31
Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:35 pm UTC

Re: Rant Thread : For all your obscenity screaming needs

Postby Killerofsheep » Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:18 am UTC

This is fucking high school volleyball not the fucking Olympics. Maybe if you got that fucking meth out of your nose we would have a chance of winning.

User avatar
Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Posts: 5941
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:42 pm UTC
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Re: Rant Thread : For all your obscenity screaming needs

Postby Angua » Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:25 am UTC

4 and a half hours after the polls closed, and we still don't have the counts from even one box!

This is going to take all night. It's a good thing that the day after election is always a holiday.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett


Return to “General”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 32 guests