Hype your ripe snipes 'n' gripes

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

ShatteredLullaby
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Mar 08, 2015 2:14 am UTC
Location: Florida

Re: Rant Thread : For all your obscenity screaming needs

Postby ShatteredLullaby » Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:38 pm UTC

poxic wrote:I remember you! How is your son?

(Had to go check your posts to remember that it was a son. >.>)


He has been making vast improvements every day and is doing great now. He will be 8 in just two short months. Growing like a weed!

SecondTalon wrote:
ShatteredLullaby wrote:Yes. Punkymonkey.
Sorry. Post wasn't showing up as approved.

ETA: I feel bad now after reading the comments for not being the other person. :P

Hilarious, as I had a short list that you were on, but ... Unlike everyone else... Didn't want to make you feel bad if you weren't on my list.

...also I couldn't remember your name and had you mentally listed as "Sock monkey girl"


Haha - thanks! I miss the sock monkey pic but don't think it would fit with the new username very well.

User avatar
Link
Posts: 1408
Joined: Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:33 am UTC
Location: ᘝᓄᘈᖉᐣ
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread : For all your obscenity screaming needs

Postby Link » Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:43 pm UTC

Arrghbglglbgrrg, why can't I fit this gorram mustardy POS dataset‽ The data looks good (great, even), and the fitting of other datasets works fine, but with this one, my script either throws a hissy fit or churns out completely nonsensical results depending on parameters entered. Image

User avatar
addams
Posts: 10271
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:44 am UTC
Location: Oregon Coast: 97444

Re: Rant Thread : For all your obscenity screaming needs

Postby addams » Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:39 am UTC

Link wrote:Arrghbglglbgrrg, why can't I fit this gorram mustardy POS dataset‽ The data looks good (great, even), and the fitting of other datasets works fine, but with this one, my script either throws a hissy fit or churns out completely nonsensical results depending on parameters entered. Image

I'm sorry about your problems that I can not understand.
I am very pleased with your little guy and his wall.
Him, I understand.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

User avatar
addams
Posts: 10271
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:44 am UTC
Location: Oregon Coast: 97444

Re: Rant Thread : For all your obscenity screaming needs

Postby addams » Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:21 pm UTC

Do you remember that Panicked, Overwhelmed Finals Week Feeling?
How did you learn to Stop That Shit? Does that still work, for you?
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

User avatar
Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Posts: 5933
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:42 pm UTC
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Re: Rant Thread : For all your obscenity screaming needs

Postby Angua » Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:29 pm UTC

Given that I was still panicked the week after finals, I'm going to go with, No freaking clue. If you figure it out, let me know.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

User avatar
addams
Posts: 10271
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:44 am UTC
Location: Oregon Coast: 97444

Re: Rant Thread : For all your obscenity screaming needs

Postby addams » Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:41 pm UTC

Angua wrote:Given that I was still panicked the week after finals, I'm going to go with, No freaking clue. If you figure it out, let me know.

Really?
Weird stuff.
Spoiler:
I did Medical.
You did Medical, too.

Medical can be like Finals Week all week, Every Week.
How does a person Live with That?

well...get good at what you do.
If you took that Final, once a week for a while,
Ya' might get pretty good at it.

And...Weird Stuff.
I was taught to choose a piece of music.

Something easy. Something soothing.
And; Listen to it. Before and After Work.

What did your instructors recommend?
Maybe, mine were Wrong.

It took me a Full Hour to get ready for Work.
I was changing not only my Clothes.

I was walking into Finals Week, everyday.
Something is Wrong with me.

I took shit way too seriously, sometimes.


Here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZXM2eq46_s
It is such an amazing Gift the internet has given.
Listening to it with the Sound Off is pleasant, for me.

Some of the Nebula are as familiar to many of us as Terrestrial Mountains are.
Were they unimaginable 300 years ago?
Spoiler:
It seemed, our kind of work made a difference in the Here and Now.
Maybe, I needed to Rest in the There and Then.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

User avatar
addams
Posts: 10271
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:44 am UTC
Location: Oregon Coast: 97444

Re: Rant Thread : For all your obscenity screaming needs

Postby addams » Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:56 pm UTC

Rant and Bitch and Compalin.
It's what We do Best.

Humans are a bunch of Complainers and I am One of Many.
http://www.iflscience.com/space/hubble- ... s-creation

Who writes this stuff.
Unimaginable?
Spoiler:
Almost 20 years ago, the Hubble Space Telescope took a breathtaking image that would soon become one of the most famous pictures in astronomy. That image was of the iconic Pillars of Creation; towering, ghost-like clouds of gas and dust, bathed in the blazing light from a cluster of newborn stars within the Eagle Nebula, or Messier 16. Now, in honor of the instrument’s 25th year in orbit, astronomers have revisited this sublime celestial landscape and captured its evocative features in an unimaginable level of detail.

astronomers have revisited this sublime celestial landscape and captured its evocative features in an unimaginable level of detail.

We can imagine it.
Can't we?

I think that sentence needs a Weasel Word or two.
"In a nearly unimaginable level of detail." would be better.

(ech) It's like The Moon landing.
"How do you know, Jethro?"

It might be a photoshopped Cumulus.
It looks like a Cumulus to me.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

User avatar
Fractal_Tangent
Today is my Birthday!
Posts: 923
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:34 pm UTC
Location: Here, I suppose. I could be elsewhere...

Re: Rant Thread : For all your obscenity screaming needs

Postby Fractal_Tangent » Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:18 pm UTC

When there are photos taken of me and my mum, my mum always takes off her glasses. She thinks she looks better without them. This is not a problem. However, her taking my glasses off really annoys me. I am trying to get better at liking all aspects of my face/body. This means that I don't really wear makeup at fancy events and try not to change my appearance for photographs all that much. I'm trying to accept that sometimes, I will like my face and think that I look darn-tooting good and others I won't and that's ok (oh dear god I would like to point out that this is a hugely personal thing specific to me, if makeup makes you feel like a fancy-pants prince/ss/other royalty please go ahead and wear the crap out of it, I'm so jealous of you and your makeup skillz.)

I really don't like that my mum gets to have and enforce her decision as to when she thinks that I look best. It's not even a 'Hey, I'd like it if you were to take your glasses off for this photo, I'm having these pictures printed out and I'm not overly keen on your glasses.' It's: we pose and my mum's sneaky hand just grabs the glasses straight off my face and holds them behind her until the picture is done. So quick that I don't really have time to react but I haaate it.
eSOANEM wrote:
right now, that means it's Nazi punching time.


she/her/hers
=]

User avatar
Sizik
Posts: 1256
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:48 am UTC

Re: Rant Thread : For all your obscenity screaming needs

Postby Sizik » Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:27 pm UTC

... Ask her to stop? (or start wearing an eyelgass cord)
she/they
gmalivuk wrote:
King Author wrote:If space (rather, distance) is an illusion, it'd be possible for one meta-me to experience both body's sensory inputs.
Yes. And if wishes were horses, wishing wells would fill up very quickly with drowned horses.

User avatar
TaintedDeity
Posts: 4003
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:22 pm UTC
Location: England;

Re: Rant Thread : For all your obscenity screaming needs

Postby TaintedDeity » Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:14 pm UTC

I think there's probably Reasons why F_T already discounted that very obvious solution.
Ⓞⓞ◯

User avatar
Fractal_Tangent
Today is my Birthday!
Posts: 923
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:34 pm UTC
Location: Here, I suppose. I could be elsewhere...

Re: Rant Thread : For all your obscenity screaming needs

Postby Fractal_Tangent » Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:19 pm UTC

Sizik wrote:... Ask her to stop? (or start wearing an eyelgass cord)

With the best will in the world, I'm not sure how you expected me to react to that.

We don't really pose for photos together all that much and I know that it's supposed to be quite a trivial thing to my mum so bringing it up now is kind of a non-starter. Also, when we are posing for photos together it's usually at some big occasion and I don't want to derail it by starting an argument (because she usually takes these things personally) about her taking my glasses off.

I didn't really come here for obvious advice though.
eSOANEM wrote:
right now, that means it's Nazi punching time.


she/her/hers
=]

User avatar
Whizbang
The Best Reporter
Posts: 2238
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:50 pm UTC
Location: New Hampshire, USA

Re: Rant Thread : For all your obscenity screaming needs

Postby Whizbang » Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:57 pm UTC

Straight up punch her in the face.

That'll stop her.

User avatar
SecondTalon
SexyTalon
Posts: 26519
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 2:10 pm UTC
Location: Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Mars. HA!
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread : For all your obscenity screaming needs

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:05 pm UTC

Fractal_Tangent wrote:
Sizik wrote:... Ask her to stop? (or start wearing an eyelgass cord)

With the best will in the world, I'm not sure how you expected me to react to that.

We don't really pose for photos together all that much and I know that it's supposed to be quite a trivial thing to my mum so bringing it up now is kind of a non-starter. Also, when we are posing for photos together it's usually at some big occasion and I don't want to derail it by starting an argument (because she usually takes these things personally) about her taking my glasses off.

I didn't really come here for obvious advice though.
Unsolicited advice is unsolicited
Spoiler:
Honestly, because it's your mother...

She doesn't see you as a real human being with real wants and desires. You're still a 4 year old kid she can do with as she pleases. You're never going to win this battle without either welding the glasses to your head, or making an even bigger scene than she would (like shrieking "What the fuck?" when she takes them away and storming off, refusing to even speak to her for a few hours kind of thing - aka acting like the child she still sees you as)

So, no. No victory.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

User avatar
rath358
The bone of my bone
Posts: 944
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:02 am UTC
Location: west Camberville

Re: Rant Thread : For all your obscenity screaming needs

Postby rath358 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:06 pm UTC

fuuuuck
The really awesome road trip that I was planning with my circle of friends for next week (spring break) has more or less fallen apart due to lack of interest/ability to participate.
Last year, I threw it together a month ahead of time, and got 5 other people to go. This year I started planning last fucking semester, so everyone had plenty of time to make time for it, and several people told me they would be able to make it, but when I asked for a final count on Sunday, crickets. Two people besides me said yes. TWO FUCKING PEOPLE. Neither of them are able to drive, so I would be behind the wheel for the entire trip, which would be exhausting.
I feel like I am being snubbed and I don't know how to handle it.

User avatar
Fractal_Tangent
Today is my Birthday!
Posts: 923
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:34 pm UTC
Location: Here, I suppose. I could be elsewhere...

Re: Rant Thread : For all your obscenity screaming needs

Postby Fractal_Tangent » Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:05 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
Fractal_Tangent wrote:
Sizik wrote:... Ask her to stop? (or start wearing an eyelgass cord)

With the best will in the world, I'm not sure how you expected me to react to that.

We don't really pose for photos together all that much and I know that it's supposed to be quite a trivial thing to my mum so bringing it up now is kind of a non-starter. Also, when we are posing for photos together it's usually at some big occasion and I don't want to derail it by starting an argument (because she usually takes these things personally) about her taking my glasses off.

I didn't really come here for obvious advice though.
Unsolicited advice is unsolicited
Spoiler:
Honestly, because it's your mother...

She doesn't see you as a real human being with real wants and desires. You're still a 4 year old kid she can do with as she pleases. You're never going to win this battle without either welding the glasses to your head, or making an even bigger scene than she would (like shrieking "What the fuck?" when she takes them away and storming off, refusing to even speak to her for a few hours kind of thing - aka acting like the child she still sees you as)

So, no. No victory.


Yeah, this.

Full disclosure: I'm 23. I know I'm young and have much fucking up of my life ahead of me but so far I've managed to do ok.
As far as I can tell, my mum is quite controlling and hasn't stopped thinking about me as the (very mildly) rebellious teen I was and it's kind of an ongoing problem. She doesn't really get to see my boyfriend all that often after they had a falling out because she wouldn't let us sleep in the same room together so my boyfriend (of 4 years who I've been living with for 3ish) just doesn't ever visit my parents' house anymore. He said that she treats him like a kid and he really doesn't appreciate that and I get it.

Blah blah, controlling mum who will take the whole glasses thing very personally blah blah, complaining about my otherwise very supportive (emotionally and financially) Very Catholic Mother blah blah. If I was going to start on issue to talk to my mum about that she might take personally, I'd definitely start somewhere other than the glasses.
eSOANEM wrote:
right now, that means it's Nazi punching time.


she/her/hers
=]

User avatar
addams
Posts: 10271
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:44 am UTC
Location: Oregon Coast: 97444

Re: Rant Thread : For all your obscenity screaming needs

Postby addams » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:27 am UTC

Fractal_Tangent wrote:When there are photos taken of me and my mum, my mum always takes off her glasses. She thinks she looks better without them. This is not a problem. However, her taking my glasses off really annoys me. I am trying to get better at liking all aspects of my face/body. This means that I don't really wear makeup at fancy events and try not to change my appearance for photographs all that much. I'm trying to accept that sometimes, I will like my face and think that I look darn-tooting good and others I won't and that's ok (oh dear god I would like to point out that this is a hugely personal thing specific to me, if makeup makes you feel like a fancy-pants prince/ss/other royalty please go ahead and wear the crap out of it, I'm so jealous of you and your makeup skillz.)

I really don't like that my mum gets to have and enforce her decision as to when she thinks that I look best. It's not even a 'Hey, I'd like it if you were to take your glasses of for this photo, I'm having these pictures printed out and I'm not overly keen on your glasses.' It's: we pose and my mum's sneaky hand just grabs the glasses straight off my face and holds them behind her until the picture is done. So quick that I don't really have time to react but I haaate it.

I think you should print that post out and use it to talk to her In Private.

Once she Thinks about it...
I expect her to be so proud of you that she might start wearing her glasses in photos.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

User avatar
Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Posts: 5933
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:42 pm UTC
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Re: Rant Thread : For all your obscenity screaming needs

Postby Angua » Sat Mar 21, 2015 2:52 pm UTC

Abdominal migraines. Haven't eaten since Thursday lunchtime. Just feel wiped.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

User avatar
addams
Posts: 10271
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:44 am UTC
Location: Oregon Coast: 97444

Re: Rant Thread : For all your obscenity screaming needs

Postby addams » Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:40 am UTC

Angua wrote:Abdominal migraines. Haven't eaten since Thursday lunchtime. Just feel wiped.

I'm sorry you are suffering.

I don't get Migraines.
I get headaches.

And; I have one.
What a miserable experience.

Once the vomiting starts....
(yuck) Thank the Gods for Drugs.

An antiemetic might help me.
Is there anything that helps you?

A hospital may have Magic in a Syringe.
In two days you might wake up feeling better.

Until then the nice nurse can give you a shot every time you wake up.
That sounds like a Wonderful World to me. "Wake me up when I'm well."
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

User avatar
Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Posts: 5933
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:42 pm UTC
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Re: Rant Thread : For all your obscenity screaming needs

Postby Angua » Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:15 am UTC

Nothing helps they just prolong the process.

It is 3.13am. The bar across the street is still blaring music with heavy base. Can't wait to be somewhere this doesn't happen.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

User avatar
addams
Posts: 10271
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:44 am UTC
Location: Oregon Coast: 97444

Re: Rant Thread : For all your obscenity screaming needs

Postby addams » Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:22 pm UTC

Angua wrote:Nothing helps they just prolong the process.

It is 3.13am. The bar across the street is still blaring music with heavy base. Can't wait to be somewhere this doesn't happen.

oh...I am so so sorry.
Fucking Noise!

Poor you.

...poor little you.
...Do they have No Idea how much that hurts?
..Or; They, just, don't give a fuck...they think it is fun.

This is the 21st Century!
Synced headphones at the Door!

If others are into S&M, then Good On Them!
As long as I don't hear them Screaming.

Some Cities are So Loud,
It's like a Stormy Day at the Beach.

!!!RUN!!!

You can't run.
You have a World Class Headache.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

User avatar
Quercus
Posts: 1806
Joined: Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:22 pm UTC
Location: London, UK
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread : For all your obscenity screaming needs

Postby Quercus » Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:12 pm UTC

[[Hugs Angua gently]] hope you feel better soon (well actually, I hope you are feeling better now, but failing that I hope you feel better soon).

addams wrote:This is the 21st Century!
Synced headphones at the Door!

Silent discos are the best thing ever. I get a kind of sensory overstimulation quite easily in crowded, noisy environments, particularly if I'm tired or stressed, which means clubs can be absolutely horrible places for me. It's a shame, because I like the music, I like the dancing and I like being around other people who are enjoying the music and dancing.

A silent disco is so good because a) I can control the volume so I don't get overwhelmed by the sound b) If I need a break I can just go to a corner, take my headphones off and close my eyes and c) you can actually have an intelligible conversation with someone once you take your headphones off.

User avatar
addams
Posts: 10271
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:44 am UTC
Location: Oregon Coast: 97444

Re: Rant Thread : For all your obscenity screaming needs

Postby addams » Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:08 pm UTC

Quercus wrote:[[Hugs Angua gently]] hope you feel better soon (well actually, I hope you are feeling better now, but failing that I hope you feel better soon).

addams wrote:This is the 21st Century!
Synced headphones at the Door!

Silent discos are the best thing ever. I get a kind of sensory overstimulation quite easily in crowded, noisy environments, particularly if I'm tired or stressed, which means clubs can be absolutely horrible places for me. It's a shame, because I like the music, I like the dancing and I like being around other people who are enjoying the music and dancing.

A silent disco is so good because a) I can control the volume so I don't get overwhelmed by the sound b) If I need a break I can just go to a corner, take my headphones off and close my eyes and c) you can actually have an intelligible conversation with someone once you take your headphones off.

Yey!
You understand!

Now; There are two of us!
Yey!

When Angua feels better,
we may be Three in number.

It is so nice to be understood.
Spoiler:
I was taken to a Rave, one time.
Sure. Yes. I am glad I know 'first hand'.

Still...The way you experience Clubs may be similar to the way I experienced a Rave.

I was frightened, at first.
A quick evaluation showed I was not in physical danger.

I kept a close eye on the Fire Dancer.
But...Damn!

I was introduced to individuals in that environment.
Weeks later, I was told I know individual persons I was introduced to.

Tall? Blonde? European Looking?
Yep....Pick that one out of a crowd in Europe!
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

User avatar
Quercus
Posts: 1806
Joined: Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:22 pm UTC
Location: London, UK
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread : For all your obscenity screaming needs

Postby Quercus » Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:13 pm UTC

addams wrote:
Quercus wrote:[[Hugs Angua gently]] hope you feel better soon (well actually, I hope you are feeling better now, but failing that I hope you feel better soon).

addams wrote:This is the 21st Century!
Synced headphones at the Door!

Silent discos are the best thing ever. I get a kind of sensory overstimulation quite easily in crowded, noisy environments, particularly if I'm tired or stressed, which means clubs can be absolutely horrible places for me. It's a shame, because I like the music, I like the dancing and I like being around other people who are enjoying the music and dancing.

A silent disco is so good because a) I can control the volume so I don't get overwhelmed by the sound b) If I need a break I can just go to a corner, take my headphones off and close my eyes and c) you can actually have an intelligible conversation with someone once you take your headphones off.

Yey!
You understand!

Now; There are two of us!
Yey!

When Angua feels better,
we may be Three in number.

It is so nice to be understood.
Spoiler:
I was taken to a Rave, one time.
Sure. Yes. I am glad I know 'first hand'.

Still...The way you experience Clubs may be similar to the way I experienced a Rave.

I was frightened, at first.
A quick evaluation showed I was not in physical danger.

I kept a close eye on the Fire Dancer.
But...Damn!

I was introduced to individuals in that environment.
Weeks later, I was told I know individual persons I was introduced to.

Tall? Blonde? European Looking?
Yep....Pick that one out of a crowd in Europe!


Yey! It is indeed good to be understood :D

There's at least two more of us out there - my mother is just the same, and I met someone a few years ago at a conference who can't handle crowded metro trains for this reason (it's specifically the combination of the noise and the crowds that gets to her). I don't have a problem with metro trains myself - I actually find that sort of repetitive mechanical noise to be really soothing, plus I like the feeling of being underground for some reason (I also like the feeling of being way up high on a mountaintop, so I think it's "departure from normal ground level" that I like.

User avatar
addams
Posts: 10271
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:44 am UTC
Location: Oregon Coast: 97444

Re: Rant Thread : For all your obscenity screaming needs

Postby addams » Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:49 am UTC

Well...OK!
There are Five of us!

We can become a Coven.
A Coven in favor of Quiet.

With Five more we could become a Church.
A Church in Favor of Peace and Quiet.

A Ten Person Church is a small Church.

Ten people in favor of Peace and Quiet can be Noisy.
I know this from Experience. When happy, they Sing.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

User avatar
Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!
Posts: 11265
Joined: Mon May 07, 2007 9:16 pm UTC
Location: Prince George In A Can
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread : For all your obscenity screaming needs

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:24 pm UTC

Dear my son's teacher:

When my son tells the school counselor he "feels like jumping off a cliff and dying", that is not him being "rude" to you... that is the logical conclusion for how you treat him. What the fucking fuck, you fucking fuck.

User avatar
addams
Posts: 10271
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:44 am UTC
Location: Oregon Coast: 97444

Re: Rant Thread : For all your obscenity screaming needs

Postby addams » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:29 pm UTC

"Controversial and Not Funny.
Content Removed By Level Headed Poster"


I'm allowing the edit for addams' usual flaire.

Angua
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

User avatar
poxic
Eloquently Prismatic
Posts: 4751
Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:28 am UTC
Location: Left coast of Canada

Re: Rant Thread : For all your obscenity screaming needs

Postby poxic » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:37 pm UTC

That child has some difficult health issues, and an even more difficult teacher. It's not a good combination.
A man who is 'ill-adjusted' to the world is always on the verge of finding himself. One who is adjusted to the world never finds himself, but gets to be a cabinet minister.
- Hermann Hesse, novelist, poet, Nobel laureate (2 Jul 1877-1962)

User avatar
Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!
Posts: 11265
Joined: Mon May 07, 2007 9:16 pm UTC
Location: Prince George In A Can
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread : For all your obscenity screaming needs

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:39 pm UTC

He's 13, with a chronic illness, a ton of medication, a very lopsided non-verbal learning disorder, and diagnosed anxiety problems.

His teacher used to teach Gym, is an alpha-male jock, and has been telling my son he's rude and disrespectful and lazy since the first day of school.

Telling a kid with arthritis that he's lazy is like telling a person in a wheelchair they just need to try harder to get up those stairs.

... and ninja'd.

User avatar
Quercus
Posts: 1806
Joined: Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:22 pm UTC
Location: London, UK
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread : For all your obscenity screaming needs

Postby Quercus » Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:03 pm UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:He's 13, with a chronic illness, a ton of medication, a very lopsided non-verbal learning disorder, and diagnosed anxiety problems.

His teacher used to teach Gym, is an alpha-male jock, and has been telling my son he's rude and disrespectful and lazy since the first day of school.

Telling a kid with arthritis that he's lazy is like telling a person in a wheelchair they just need to try harder to get up those stairs.

... and ninja'd.

Urgh, what an arsehole. I'm sorry your kid has to go through that. It sucks as a kid sometimes - at least as an adult you get the choice to not engage most of the time (except with bosses I guess, but even then there isn't quite the same sort of power imbalance).

User avatar
Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Posts: 5933
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:42 pm UTC
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Re: Rant Thread : For all your obscenity screaming needs

Postby Angua » Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:20 pm UTC

In unrelated news, everything seems to be going wrong today.

Sigh.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

User avatar
Fractal_Tangent
Today is my Birthday!
Posts: 923
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:34 pm UTC
Location: Here, I suppose. I could be elsewhere...

Re: Rant Thread : For all your obscenity screaming needs

Postby Fractal_Tangent » Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:28 pm UTC

It really frustrates me that there is 0 maternity leave provision in either PhDs or postdoc funding (in physics at any rate).
Like, my age: 23.
After PhD: 26,
Taking an average of 2 postdocs lasting 6months-3years: ~28
So by the time that I might be getting out of being a student, lots of people will be settling down.

Now, I'm not planning to have kids but I know people who are my age and have already had kids, and I know that lots of people when they start getting close to 30 start thinking a lot more about kids.

People in academia tell you frequently that you should expect to be ready to move anywhere in the world (let me repeat that: in the world) for your postdoc. My SO has been talking about how a lot of people he knows have gone to Tokyo because there are places there that can really kickstart your career.

So, you're a lady in a long term relationship pursuing the dream of being in academia doing physics and you're in your first postdoc and you fall pregnant. You probably are going to have to take unpaid time off and you probably won't be able to move anywhere in the world for your next postdoc.

I wonder why there aren't many women in physics.
eSOANEM wrote:
right now, that means it's Nazi punching time.


she/her/hers
=]

User avatar
doogly
Dr. The Juggernaut of Touching Himself
Posts: 5532
Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:31 am UTC
Location: Lexington, MA
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread : For all your obscenity screaming needs

Postby doogly » Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:11 am UTC

But you get the big bucks and job security once you finish the postdoc, so it makes sense.
LE4dGOLEM: What's a Doug?
Noc: A larval Doogly. They grow the tail and stinger upon reaching adulthood.

Keep waggling your butt brows Brothers.
Or; Is that your eye butthairs?

Wonderbolt
Posts: 212
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:11 pm UTC

Re: Rant Thread : For all your obscenity screaming needs

Postby Wonderbolt » Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:34 am UTC

If I ever manage to find a job, I'm never going to housemates again even if it means having an hour extra commute or needing to budget in other areas that much more. Fuck housemates.

User avatar
Fractal_Tangent
Today is my Birthday!
Posts: 923
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:34 pm UTC
Location: Here, I suppose. I could be elsewhere...

Re: Rant Thread : For all your obscenity screaming needs

Postby Fractal_Tangent » Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:09 pm UTC

Wonderbolt wrote:If I ever manage to find a job, I'm never going to housemates again even if it means having an hour extra commute or needing to budget in other areas that much more. Fuck housemates.

Been there, housemates can be awful.
eSOANEM wrote:
right now, that means it's Nazi punching time.


she/her/hers
=]

Wonderbolt
Posts: 212
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:11 pm UTC

Re: Rant Thread : For all your obscenity screaming needs

Postby Wonderbolt » Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:33 pm UTC

Fractal_Tangent wrote:
Wonderbolt wrote:If I ever manage to find a job, I'm never going to housemates again even if it means having an hour extra commute or needing to budget in other areas that much more. Fuck housemates.

Been there, housemates can be awful.

Actually not a specific thing housemates did in this particular case. Just, being trans and still having a lot of... things that aren't quite the way I like them (and ridiculous body image issues, I suppose), I really, really hate mornings where I try to get into the bathroom without anyone seeing me as quickly as possible. I just feel extremely uncomfortable with other people around during those times, even worse when they have people over (as was the case now). Having housemates makes it impossible for me to just walk around in my pyjamas, because I constantly feel the need to present an image of perfect girliness.

User avatar
Fractal_Tangent
Today is my Birthday!
Posts: 923
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:34 pm UTC
Location: Here, I suppose. I could be elsewhere...

Re: Rant Thread : For all your obscenity screaming needs

Postby Fractal_Tangent » Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:37 pm UTC

Wonderbolt wrote:
Fractal_Tangent wrote:
Wonderbolt wrote:If I ever manage to find a job, I'm never going to housemates again even if it means having an hour extra commute or needing to budget in other areas that much more. Fuck housemates.

Been there, housemates can be awful.

Actually not a specific thing housemates did in this particular case. Just, being trans and still having a lot of... things that aren't quite the way I like them (and ridiculous body image issues, I suppose), I really, really hate mornings where I try to get into the bathroom without anyone seeing me as quickly as possible. I just feel extremely uncomfortable with other people around during those times, even worse when they have people over (as was the case now). Having housemates makes it impossible for me to just walk around in my pyjamas, because I constantly feel the need to present an image of perfect girliness.

Oh man, I have not been there. That sounds pretty pants. =/ I hope you're able to get a job & house dealy.
eSOANEM wrote:
right now, that means it's Nazi punching time.


she/her/hers
=]

User avatar
Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Posts: 5933
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:42 pm UTC
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Re: Rant Thread : For all your obscenity screaming needs

Postby Angua » Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:36 am UTC

BBC, the dress was a unique type of optical illusion, in that seeing the same image in a different colour in individuals who don't otherwise have any deficiencies in colour perceptions is not something that I'm aware of having been done before.

A cat walking either up or down a set of stairs is a bog-standard optical illusion. Just because it's popular on the internet because it happens to contain a cat is not news worthy.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

User avatar
addams
Posts: 10271
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:44 am UTC
Location: Oregon Coast: 97444

Re: Rant Thread : For all your obscenity screaming needs

Postby addams » Sat Apr 11, 2015 1:19 am UTC

Wonderbolt wrote:
Fractal_Tangent wrote:
Wonderbolt wrote:If I ever manage to find a job, I'm never going to housemates again even if it means having an hour extra commute or needing to budget in other areas that much more. Fuck housemates.

Been there, housemates can be awful.

Actually not a specific thing housemates did in this particular case. Just, being trans and still having a lot of... things that aren't quite the way I like them (and ridiculous body image issues, I suppose), I really, really hate mornings where I try to get into the bathroom without anyone seeing me as quickly as possible. I just feel extremely uncomfortable with other people around during those times, even worse when they have people over (as was the case now). Having housemates makes it impossible for me to just walk around in my pajamas, because I constantly feel the need to present an image of perfect girlies.

That's a lot of pressure.
Even the Best can not be the Perfect Picture of Girly all the time.
A nice comfy and elegantly feminine bathrobe, might help.

I'm just trying to help.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

User avatar
Quercus
Posts: 1806
Joined: Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:22 pm UTC
Location: London, UK
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread : For all your obscenity screaming needs

Postby Quercus » Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:45 pm UTC

What the fuck happened to me? I used to like solving difficult problems. Now I don't even like solving easy problems. Problem number 1) work out how to like solving problems again.

(yes, I know this post is self-indulgent bullcrap, humour me, I need self-indulgent bullcrap right now)

User avatar
Pfhorrest
Posts: 5448
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:11 am UTC
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread : For all your obscenity screaming needs

Postby Pfhorrest » Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:46 pm UTC

I feel the same way.

I useed to love intellectual challenges and specifically sought them out. Discussions with people who disagree with me, relationships with different kinds of people, etc. I felt like a good and intellectually virtuous person for not hiding in an echochamber of yes-men.

Now I am so constantly stressed about everything all the time that I am almost terrified of even idle disagreements and diferences as potential harbingers of conflict and even more stress that I just can't deal with anymore... And then I feel guilty for becoming the kind of person I used to deride as the source of many of the world's ills, the intellectually lazy slob who spaces out in front of the TV all night instead of doing something creative and only enjoys the company of people exactly like himself.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)


Return to “General”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 25 guests