Blistering blue barnacles

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

User avatar
addams
Posts: 9430
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:44 am UTC
Location: Gold Beach, OR; 97444

Re: Rant Thread : For all your obscenity screaming needs

Postby addams » Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:08 am UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:I feel the same way.

I useed to love intellectual challenges and specifically sought them out. Discussions with people who disagree with me, relationships with different kinds of people, etc. I felt like a good and intellectually virtuous person for not hiding in an echochamber of yes-men.

Now I am so constantly stressed about everything all the time that I am almost terrified of even idle disagreements and diferences as potential harbingers of conflict and even more stress that I just can't deal with anymore... And then I feel guilty for becoming the kind of person I used to deride as the source of many of the world's ills, the intellectually lazy slob who spaces out in front of the TV all night instead of doing something creative and only enjoys the company of people exactly like himself.

Wait a minute.
Whoa up.

Yes.
I useed to love intellectual challenges and specifically sought them out.
Discussions with people who disagree with me, relationships with different kinds of people, etc. I felt like a good and intellectually virtuous person for not hiding in an echochamber of yes-men.

Yes. We do need to make some effort,....but...
...

You have found some people who are Exactly like you??
Who?

excuse me for steping on your Rant.
I find myself wanting to restrict the people I speak to, also.

We are Americans.
We have turned on one another.

Our lives are Not Easy.
We can not count on even a Veneer of Civility.
We, like all humans, need more than that.

I'm stepping all over your rant.(sorry)
I can't find anyone exactly like I am.
You found a bunch of people like you.

You have "Yes", Men?
I'm jealous.

Even I'm not always a "Yes." man to me.

Did ya' ever think, "If I met me, would I like me?"
I did. I would. I think it is a good question.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

User avatar
Pfhorrest
Posts: 3969
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:11 am UTC
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread : For all your obscenity screaming needs

Postby Pfhorrest » Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:16 am UTC

No, I haven't ever found anyone exactly like me. Even people in any way notably like me are rare. There are a handful of people I have met online who are enough like me that I feel really comfortable around them.

Mostly though the aforementioned change in attitude just means I am more and more uncomfortable around most everyone except those few internet friends (and my girlfriend, who still differs enough from me that I still can't completely relax around her, in the intellectual sense of speaking freely without fear of disagreement and conflict).

I have a strong suspicion that most people who seem to congregate in huge like-minded echochambers don't all just coincidentally agree and get along, but are so intellectually weak and hollow (lacking any real personal independent convictions) that they just adopt nominal agreement with the people around them so that they can enjoy all those people they're agreeing with agreeing back at them in turn. I would feel even more terrible if I ever got to the point I felt like resorting to that.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

User avatar
addams
Posts: 9430
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:44 am UTC
Location: Gold Beach, OR; 97444

Re: Rant Thread : For all your obscenity screaming needs

Postby addams » Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:31 am UTC

oh.
uumm.

Om.....

little *hug* in passing.
i don't want to argue.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

User avatar
suffer-cait
Yes, that's my perfectly normal house cat, why do you ask?
Posts: 2549
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:01 am UTC
Location: da aina
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread : For all your obscenity screaming needs

Postby suffer-cait » Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:30 pm UTC

In such cases i lurk. Then i can read and think about an argument or topic without opening myself up to argument.
ImageImageImageImageImage

elminster
Posts: 1560
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:56 pm UTC
Location: London, UK, Dimensions 1 to 42.
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread : For all your obscenity screaming needs

Postby elminster » Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:00 pm UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:...
I have a strong suspicion that most people who seem to congregate in huge like-minded echochambers don't all just coincidentally agree and get along, but are so intellectually weak and hollow (lacking any real personal independent convictions) that they just adopt nominal agreement with the people around them so that they can enjoy all those people they're agreeing with agreeing back at them in turn. I would feel even more terrible if I ever got to the point I felt like resorting to that.

Personally I've started to get annoyed with people who agree with me. Not because I'm right or wrong, but the lack of critical thinking. Sure, if it's a plain statement that needs no explanation, that's fine, but I'd rather someone disagree with a reason than agree with no reason other than I've already thought about it.
Like, people... PLEASE don't take my word for something. Everything I say is based on what I know and I definitely don't know everything. Use my input as a data point, estimate the validity of my statements based on what else you know about including any bias you may see me have. Take everything with at least a grain of salt.

I've started to subtly test people when I meet them to see if they're just a sheep, weak minded, unopinionated or the contrary of any. You deliver one point of view, see response, then later deliver an opposing view with flawed or reasonable arguments. Either they just agree (Sheep), they agree mentioning they've not thought about it that way (they don't think enough), they disagree with reasons already disproven (stubborn religious-type mindset), reel off only fallacies to prove their point (don't even bother with them), agree/disagree with no interest (meh, just doesn't interest them), and finally agree or disagree with secondary opinion or alternative point of view with reasoning based on knowledge/ideas/etc that hasn't been mentioned yet. The last being the ideal situation.

Now, that may make me look like an asshole, but honestly it's not. Maybe I might think less or more of people, but would still treat them the same, but I will bare it in mind when debating. People who are able to hold a strong opinion with good reasoning are great to converse with. I don't care if they think my ideas are stupid or brilliant, but I do care that they've independently thought and reasoned about the topics.

I almost feel sometimes I should always preface things with "Through my experience" or "From the information I've read", etc such that it's clear I'm just a data point on a topic, don't trust me completely.

n.b. That wasn't even meant to be a rant at first.
Image

User avatar
Whizbang
The Best Reporter
Posts: 2238
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:50 pm UTC
Location: New Hampshire, USA

Re: Rant Thread : For all your obscenity screaming needs

Postby Whizbang » Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:10 pm UTC

suffer-cait wrote:Then i can read and think about an argument or topic without opening myself up to argument.


No you can't.

User avatar
SecondTalon
SexyTalon
Posts: 25699
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 2:10 pm UTC
Location: Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Mars. HA!
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread : For all your obscenity screaming needs

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:30 pm UTC

elminster wrote:I've started to subtly test people when I meet them to see if they're just a sheep, weak minded, unopinionated or the contrary of any. You deliver one point of view, see response, then later deliver an opposing view with flawed or reasonable arguments. Either they just agree (Sheep), they agree mentioning they've not thought about it that way (they don't think enough), they disagree with reasons already disproven (stubborn religious-type mindset), reel off only fallacies to prove their point (don't even bother with them), agree/disagree with no interest (meh, just doesn't interest them), and finally agree or disagree with secondary opinion or alternative point of view with reasoning based on knowledge/ideas/etc that hasn't been mentioned yet. The last being the ideal situation.


To make sure I understand what you're saying, here's a simplified version.

elminster "I believe A and that B is incorrect for factual reasons 1, 2 and 3."
Person "That's cool, I'm down with A"
*time passes*
elminster "You know, B is the better way for reasons X, flawed reason Y and completely wrong reason Z"

Because, if that is a correct simplified version, you've ignored one very real possibility - that they've noted the inconsistency in your argument, believe you to have no sense of logic or internal consistency and wisely realize any sort of debate with you is slightly less effective than trying to carve a tunnel through a mountain by spitting at it. In that case, you're going to see a lot of agreement or "I hadn't considered that" type responses on the hopes it'll get you to stop talking, or at least change subjects.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

User avatar
Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Posts: 5658
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:42 pm UTC
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Re: Rant Thread : For all your obscenity screaming needs

Postby Angua » Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:56 pm UTC

Yeah, I can't count the number of times someone's said something bizarre and I just resisted the urge to say anything because these things generally get nowhere,and it's not worth my time or effort to argue.
'Look, sir, I know Angua. She's not the useless type. She doesn't stand there and scream helplessly. She makes other people do that.'
GNU Terry Pratchett

User avatar
Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.
Posts: 11049
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:27 pm UTC
Location: E pur si muove

Re: Rant Thread : For all your obscenity screaming needs

Postby Yakk » Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:03 pm UTC

I hadn't considered that.
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

Last edited by JHVH on Fri Oct 23, 4004 BCE 6:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.

User avatar
Fractal_Tangent
Today is my Birthday!
Posts: 921
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:34 pm UTC
Location: Here, I suppose. I could be elsewhere...

Re: Rant Thread : For all your obscenity screaming needs

Postby Fractal_Tangent » Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:54 pm UTC

Meh.
eSOANEM wrote:
right now, that means it's Nazi punching time.


she/her/hers
=]

User avatar
Pfhorrest
Posts: 3969
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:11 am UTC
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread : For all your obscenity screaming needs

Postby Pfhorrest » Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:05 pm UTC

I completely agree with all of you.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

User avatar
gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett
Posts: 25820
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:02 pm UTC
Location: Here and There
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread : For all your obscenity screaming needs

Postby gmalivuk » Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:05 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
elminster wrote:I've started to subtly test people when I meet them to see if they're just a sheep, weak minded, unopinionated or the contrary of any. You deliver one point of view, see response, then later deliver an opposing view with flawed or reasonable arguments. Either they just agree (Sheep), they agree mentioning they've not thought about it that way (they don't think enough), they disagree with reasons already disproven (stubborn religious-type mindset), reel off only fallacies to prove their point (don't even bother with them), agree/disagree with no interest (meh, just doesn't interest them), and finally agree or disagree with secondary opinion or alternative point of view with reasoning based on knowledge/ideas/etc that hasn't been mentioned yet. The last being the ideal situation.


To make sure I understand what you're saying, here's a simplified version.

elminster "I believe A and that B is incorrect for factual reasons 1, 2 and 3."
Person "That's cool, I'm down with A"
*time passes*
elminster "You know, B is the better way for reasons X, flawed reason Y and completely wrong reason Z"

Because, if that is a correct simplified version, you've ignored one very real possibility - that they've noted the inconsistency in your argument, believe you to have no sense of logic or internal consistency and wisely realize any sort of debate with you is slightly less effective than trying to carve a tunnel through a mountain by spitting at it. In that case, you're going to see a lot of agreement or "I hadn't considered that" type responses on the hopes it'll get you to stop talking, or at least change subjects.

Yeah, all elminster has done is illustrated an additional reason I hadn't considered for why not to continue talking with people who spout blatantly contradictory things.

Before reading that rant, my thought process would have been, "Wow, this person sure is incapable of logical thought. Time to extricate myself from this discussion as quickly as possible." Now, it's become, "Wow, either this person sure is incapable of logical thought or they are trying to conduct a 'social experiment' to see whether I'm a sheeple. Time to extricate myself from this discussion as quickly as possible."
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

User avatar
Pfhorrest
Posts: 3969
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:11 am UTC
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread : For all your obscenity screaming needs

Postby Pfhorrest » Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:11 pm UTC

If I cared enough about the subject to engage at all and enough about the person to remember their previously-stated opinion, I think my natural response would just be "wait, I thought you were pro-A?" and see where they go from there. Best case scenario: they state some kind of nuanced opinion dissolving a false dichotomy between A and B, or at leave giving some interesting food for thought on the possibility of said dichotomy being false. Slightly less than worse case scenario, they're "conducting a social experiment" and are happy that I caught on to it and I shrug and meh at their silly little game. Least preferable option, they're a genuine idiot who honestly believes flatly contradictory things at the same time and doesn't even understand why that's a problem.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

User avatar
Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!
Posts: 11262
Joined: Mon May 07, 2007 9:16 pm UTC
Location: Prince George In A Can
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread : For all your obscenity screaming needs

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:16 pm UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:Least preferable option, they're a genuine idiot who honestly believes flatly contradictory things at the same time and doesn't even understand why that's a problem.

Based on my internet experiences, that's more than half of the world.

User avatar
Whizbang
The Best Reporter
Posts: 2238
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:50 pm UTC
Location: New Hampshire, USA

Re: Rant Thread : For all your obscenity screaming needs

Postby Whizbang » Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:19 pm UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:
Pfhorrest wrote:Least preferable option, they're a genuine idiot who honestly believes flatly contradictory things at the same time and doesn't even understand why that's a problem.

Based on my internet experiences, that's more than half of the world.


Is 100% more than half?

User avatar
Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!
Posts: 11262
Joined: Mon May 07, 2007 9:16 pm UTC
Location: Prince George In A Can
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread : For all your obscenity screaming needs

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:20 pm UTC

Whizbang wrote:
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:
Pfhorrest wrote:Least preferable option, they're a genuine idiot who honestly believes flatly contradictory things at the same time and doesn't even understand why that's a problem.

Based on my internet experiences, that's more than half of the world.

Is 100% more than half?

Oh, Glob. Do you work in my office?

elminster
Posts: 1560
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:56 pm UTC
Location: London, UK, Dimensions 1 to 42.
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread : For all your obscenity screaming needs

Postby elminster » Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:23 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
elminster wrote:I've started to subtly test people when I meet them to see if they're just a sheep, weak minded, unopinionated or the contrary of any. You deliver one point of view, see response, then later deliver an opposing view with flawed or reasonable arguments. Either they just agree (Sheep), they agree mentioning they've not thought about it that way (they don't think enough), they disagree with reasons already disproven (stubborn religious-type mindset), reel off only fallacies to prove their point (don't even bother with them), agree/disagree with no interest (meh, just doesn't interest them), and finally agree or disagree with secondary opinion or alternative point of view with reasoning based on knowledge/ideas/etc that hasn't been mentioned yet. The last being the ideal situation.

To make sure I understand what you're saying, here's a simplified version.

elminster "I believe A and that B is incorrect for factual reasons 1, 2 and 3."
Person "That's cool, I'm down with A"
*time passes*
elminster "You know, B is the better way for reasons X, flawed reason Y and completely wrong reason Z"

Because, if that is a correct simplified version, you've ignored one very real possibility - that they've noted the inconsistency in your argument, believe you to have no sense of logic or internal consistency and wisely realize any sort of debate with you is slightly less effective than trying to carve a tunnel through a mountain by spitting at it. In that case, you're going to see a lot of agreement or "I hadn't considered that" type responses on the hopes it'll get you to stop talking, or at least change subjects.
Note: I'm not good at articulating exactly what I mean when I said that or the below without being excessively verbose. I suck at expressing myself concisely or very precisely.

I wouldn't go about logically countering myself unless I'm going to explicitly state/admit it for whatever reason (reevaluating evidence, new information came to light, misunderstanding, etc). That's the worst thing you can do. It's more to do with testing whether they understand the logic involved and the depth of thought put into it.
For example, you can let them state their point of view with reasoning, then later on see if they agree with the contrary or a different point of view with reasoning that would directly oppose the first statement. Although I can't think of a particular example atm (bit busy atm).

Basically it's more to do with trying to under A) their ability to understand the logic involved B) depth of thought into a topic (similarly breadth in terms of points of view considered) C) willingness to change opinion relative to evidence provided (Depending on the evidence, too easy or too hard can be bad) D) ability to understand an opposing point of view, ignoring the fact that they may or may not agree with it.
In general I just dislike when people fully accept my points of view because they might think I know better. Maybe they do, maybe they don't. I'm not going to ask people that and really what I'm describing is a hell of a lot more subtle than it would appear to what I'm writing. Of course I can't quantify it, I'm not exactly going to being weird about it, and really I'd only change my course of conversation slightly in a way that would naturally flow anyway. I wouldn't just interject with a counter argument, or a put a point of view that didn't at least have some merits.
So in reality, it makes little difference to the actual conversations and I'm not going to mentally penalize someone for the way they think or who they are. Although I will take it into account when deciding what to converse about in the future.

Although let me just restate it to be clear, I wouldn't contradict my own logic (unless I'm giving a reason to) and it in no way would change what a normal conversation would be like. I'm completely aware that it's pretty obvious when randomly throwing out examples, but regular conversations can highlight things too. Now all this blown out of proportion stuff makes me seem psychopathic.

Tl;dr: I'd rather select more carefully the depth of conversation I go into with people by more accurately gauging them.
Image

User avatar
Sprocket
Seymour
Posts: 5940
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:04 pm UTC
Location: impaled on Beck's boney hips.
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread : For all your obscenity screaming needs

Postby Sprocket » Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:12 pm UTC

elminster wrote:
Pfhorrest wrote:...
I have a strong suspicion that most people who seem to congregate in huge like-minded echochambers don't all just coincidentally agree and get along, but are so intellectually weak and hollow (lacking any real personal independent convictions) that they just adopt nominal agreement with the people around them so that they can enjoy all those people they're agreeing with agreeing back at them in turn. I would feel even more terrible if I ever got to the point I felt like resorting to that.
Yeah no one here ever disagrees with anyone else. That just..never happens. We have on mind and one heart and one god and one programming language and one place we like to go to dinner and we all like missionary position while wearing original costumes worn by the cast of The Lion King's first five years on Broadway. Also we all voted for Kodos.
(that last one is true.)

Pfhorrest wrote:I completely agree with all of you.

And I agree with you. Let's listen to Early Music together and throw another harpsichord on the fire whilst bumping same-sex uglies as the lord intended.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

User avatar
Fractal_Tangent
Today is my Birthday!
Posts: 921
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:34 pm UTC
Location: Here, I suppose. I could be elsewhere...

Re: Rant Thread : For all your obscenity screaming needs

Postby Fractal_Tangent » Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:48 pm UTC

Double meh.
eSOANEM wrote:
right now, that means it's Nazi punching time.


she/her/hers
=]

User avatar
K-R
Posts: 1555
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:42 pm UTC
Location: Australia

Re: Rant Thread : For all your obscenity screaming needs

Postby K-R » Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:11 pm UTC

Names in the following story have been changed.

I got an email a couple of days ago, sent to me and several other people:
OK guys we can talk here. And dont hit compose and respond just press reply. And can some one add dave at sometime so that he knows the plan.
Followed, from one of the recipients of the first email, by:
were going saturday right and what time and how long


None of them were people I know, and the subject line was about something occuring in a city that a later Google search revealed was in Connecticut, which is roughly on the other side of the world. So, I hit "reply all":
I have no idea who you people are or how I ended up in this conversation, so y'all might want to double-check the recipients of these.


Easy enough. Obviously a typo on someone's part, as previously happened with the guy who signed up for eBay, PayPal and the dentist with my email accidentally, and someone who signed up for Pinterest with my email, who may or may not also have been that guy, I have no idea. In that case, I largely ignored the emails, or clicked the "I didn't sign up" links, or messaged the guy through eBay (because one of the emails contained his username) so I could get his actual email and forward him everything he needed to access his accounts, or emailed the dentist to inform them they were working roughly six inches below the problem area. This time, apparently not so easy:
It's next Saturday
Dave this is emma Chrissy Matt Nikki sophie nick
Dave it's emma Chrissy Nikki nick sophie Matt


So let's try again, slightly clearer:
One of you should probably find out what Dave's email address actually is, because this ain't it. And last time I tried a "Reply All" to this, it failed to send to dave@gmail.com due to that email address not existing, so y'all may want to check that, too.

My name is not Dave. I don't know anyone named Emma, Chrissy, Nikki, Nick, Sophie, or Matt. I'm in Australia. Google informs me y'all are probably in Connecticut, which is a reasonable distance from here. I'm not sure what more I need to tell you to get you to go away, given that "you have the wrong email address" was apparently insufficient.


Victory!
Yep sorry we used his old email

Of sorts...
Sorry we thought this was someone else just ignore these.


Well, it apparently required two emails (from the same person) to explain the fuckup, but it'll do. At least they're gone.
R u from Australia or Texas because you say yall a lot



Oh for fuck's sake.

User avatar
Izawwlgood
WINNING
Posts: 18638
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:55 pm UTC
Location: There may be lovelier lovelies...

Re: Rant Thread : For all your obscenity screaming needs

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:15 pm UTC

Haha, 'R u from the place you said you were from or maybe another place?'
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

User avatar
K-R
Posts: 1555
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:42 pm UTC
Location: Australia

Re: Rant Thread : For all your obscenity screaming needs

Postby K-R » Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:16 pm UTC

'Hello person I don't know I randomly contacted on the internet accidentally, tell me more about where you live'.

User avatar
Quercus
Posts: 1568
Joined: Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:22 pm UTC
Location: London, UK
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread : For all your obscenity screaming needs

Postby Quercus » Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:49 pm UTC

I get a lot of mail intended for a "Betty" [lastname]. She's still signing up for new stuff using my address too. I've never had anything personal enough to reply to like this, but I do know quite a lot about her. She is apparently an utra-religious, social conservative creationist, who drives a Chevrolet and signs up to a lot of email lists about how Darwin was an agent of the Devil. It's pretty amusing to be receiving her email as an socially liberal atheist with a degree in genetics.

User avatar
K-R
Posts: 1555
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:42 pm UTC
Location: Australia

Re: Rant Thread : For all your obscenity screaming needs

Postby K-R » Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:10 pm UTC

The most annoying part of this is I have a couple of really close friends overseas, with whom my only method of communication is email. They're also the only two people whose emails go under "Primary" in GMail, and thus the only two people whose emails cause the pinned tab in Firefox to change colour, so when it does that I know I've got an email that's particularly worth reading.

Except for two days the pinned tab's been changing colour and it's been these jerks. It's disappointing enough when my phone vibrates at the right time of day and it turns out to be Amazon saying that since I bought the 20th Century Fox 75th Anniversary DVD set and the Universal 100th Anniversary Blu-Ray set, they think I might like to buy the 20th Century Fox 75th Anniversary DVD set and the Universal 100th Anniversary DVD set.


ETA: Also, Skype keeps changing me from "Invisible" to "Online", apparently at random.

User avatar
K-R
Posts: 1555
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:42 pm UTC
Location: Australia

Re: Rant Thread : For all your obscenity screaming needs

Postby K-R » Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:58 am UTC

We are very sorry you got put on this if you would kindly somehow remove urself we would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

Uh...the only way I can stop receiving your emails is if you stop sending me emails.

It was an accident were in fifth grade so small words please
Jk
And how do you know we live in Connecticut
K-R wrote:the subject line was about something occuring in a city that a later Google search revealed was in Connecticut



Also, I was at a family get-together with my dad's side of the family this morning, and I heard Nicki Minaj described as "the negro with the fake ass and the fake boobs". And then my mom wanted to know who was there, and it transpired that the guests included a lesbian couple, and my mom proceeded to talk about how they'd both decided to get pregnant so they could both be mothers, and how that's weird because they should just decide which of them is the woman and which of them is the man, like every other lesbian couple ever.

Humans: they're fucking terrible

User avatar
SecondTalon
SexyTalon
Posts: 25699
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 2:10 pm UTC
Location: Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Mars. HA!
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread : For all your obscenity screaming needs

Postby SecondTalon » Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:58 pm UTC

K-R wrote:
We are very sorry you got put on this if you would kindly somehow remove urself we would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

Uh...the only way I can stop receiving your emails is if you stop sending me emails.

Sounds like somebody just signed up for CatFacts.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

User avatar
Izawwlgood
WINNING
Posts: 18638
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:55 pm UTC
Location: There may be lovelier lovelies...

Re: Rant Thread : For all your obscenity screaming needs

Postby Izawwlgood » Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:41 pm UTC

K-R wrote:Humans: they're fucking terrible


You should check out... you know, never mind. I'll save you the headache.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

User avatar
Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Posts: 5658
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:42 pm UTC
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Re: Rant Thread : For all your obscenity screaming needs

Postby Angua » Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:54 pm UTC

Why would anyone want to look at two different spreadsheets side by side in excel? What a bizarre thing for someone to want to do! Let's not allow that - surely then anyone stupid enough to want to do so will see the error of their ways.

edit - screw you microsoft, I found a ridiculous work around.
'Look, sir, I know Angua. She's not the useless type. She doesn't stand there and scream helplessly. She makes other people do that.'
GNU Terry Pratchett

User avatar
Neil_Boekend
Posts: 3219
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:35 am UTC
Location: Yes.

Re: Rant Thread : For all your obscenity screaming needs

Postby Neil_Boekend » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:02 pm UTC

Did you use the clunky shift-click-on-Excel-logo-in-task-bar workaround or did you find an other?
It's the result of Microsoft Office not following Microsoft Windows' standard way of working and the results of that particular idiocy bug me immensely. They probably don't communicate or something.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

User avatar
Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Posts: 5658
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:42 pm UTC
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Re: Rant Thread : For all your obscenity screaming needs

Postby Angua » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:06 pm UTC

yeah - I think that's what I found. Doesn't make sense to me why right clicking on excel in the task bar opens up a real new window, while opening up two different sheets from two different folders looks like they're new windows until you start trying to look at hte bloody things side by side.


edit - if I hadn't have found that, I would have just opened them up in libreoffice. Still a nuisance.
'Look, sir, I know Angua. She's not the useless type. She doesn't stand there and scream helplessly. She makes other people do that.'
GNU Terry Pratchett

Chen
Posts: 5274
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:53 pm UTC
Location: Montreal

Re: Rant Thread : For all your obscenity screaming needs

Postby Chen » Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:28 pm UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:Did you use the clunky shift-click-on-Excel-logo-in-task-bar workaround or did you find an other?
It's the result of Microsoft Office not following Microsoft Windows' standard way of working and the results of that particular idiocy bug me immensely. They probably don't communicate or something.


But it's not even all of Office. Word can separate two windows fine. Powerpoint too. Not Project and Excel though. And I'm not even sure there's a workaround for the Project one.

User avatar
Whizbang
The Best Reporter
Posts: 2238
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:50 pm UTC
Location: New Hampshire, USA

Re: Rant Thread : For all your obscenity screaming needs

Postby Whizbang » Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:39 pm UTC

Having two instances of Excel is useful, sometimes. If you have a processor heavy workbook open, it is nice sometimes to open your other workbooks in a separte instance, especially if there are volatile functions in heavy use. I have also found that having too many workbooks that have connections to other data sources gets buggy if they are all in the same instance.

cphite
Posts: 1163
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:27 pm UTC

Re: Rant Thread : For all your obscenity screaming needs

Postby cphite » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:20 pm UTC

Angua wrote:yeah - I think that's what I found. Doesn't make sense to me why right clicking on excel in the task bar opens up a real new window, while opening up two different sheets from two different folders looks like they're new windows until you start trying to look at hte bloody things side by side.


edit - if I hadn't have found that, I would have just opened them up in libreoffice. Still a nuisance.


Here's an easy workaround that you only have to do once:

1. Open up Notepad or some other text editor
2. Write the following line: START "" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\EXCEL.EXE" %1 You will probably have to edit this depending on your version of Excel and where it is installed; basically point it at the EXCEL.EXE file on your computer and it should work.
3. Save the file as a .BAT with a name and location that make sense to you - it doesn't really matter, basically you just don't want to be wondering what this file is a year from now. For example mine is C:\ExcelLaunch\ExcelLauncher.bat
4. Find any Excel file.
5. Right-click on the file and select Open With, and select Choose Default Program. Browse to the .BAT file you just made and select the .BAT file as the default program.
6. Repeat for each type of file you want; for example if you have .XLS and .XLSX you'd need to do both.

Basically, after you do this whenever you double click on a file, instead of running Excel, it runs the batch file you created - which runs Excel. But since you've explicitly told it to start a new instance of Excel, each new file will be opened in it's own individual instance. If you have one open and you click on an Excel file type that you didn't do this for, it will open in the last active instance of Excel you have open.

One minor drawback is that the file types you picked will appear with the generic blank icon that Windows uses for unidentified file types, rather than the Excel icon.

If you ever want to revert back, just repeat step 5 for each file type and select Excel as the default program.

User avatar
firechicago
Posts: 621
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:27 pm UTC
Location: One time, I put a snowglobe in the microwave and pushed "Hot Dog"

Re: Rant Thread : For all your obscenity screaming needs

Postby firechicago » Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:35 pm UTC

I haven't used the most recent version of excel (or Windows 8), but you used to be able to put two spreadsheets side by side within the same instance of excel. It would be weird, but not entirely out of character, for Microsoft to have removed that feature.

User avatar
bluebambue
An der schönen blauen Donau
Posts: 900
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:14 am UTC

Re: Rant Thread : For all your obscenity screaming needs

Postby bluebambue » Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:37 am UTC

Are you on 2010 or 2013? My 2013 instances have multi-window opening on default installs. I think it is still the same instance, so does have some resource sharing stuff going on that you might not want, but times when you care about that should be rare.

User avatar
Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Posts: 5658
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:42 pm UTC
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Re: Rant Thread : For all your obscenity screaming needs

Postby Angua » Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:35 am UTC

I am pretty sure it's 2013.
'Look, sir, I know Angua. She's not the useless type. She doesn't stand there and scream helplessly. She makes other people do that.'
GNU Terry Pratchett

User avatar
Whizbang
The Best Reporter
Posts: 2238
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:50 pm UTC
Location: New Hampshire, USA

Re: Rant Thread : For all your obscenity screaming needs

Postby Whizbang » Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:08 pm UTC

firechicago wrote:I haven't used the most recent version of excel (or Windows 8), but you used to be able to put two spreadsheets side by side within the same instance of excel. It would be weird, but not entirely out of character, for Microsoft to have removed that feature.


View Side by Side is still a feature in 2010. I'll have to check for 2013, but I'd be surprised if they got rid of it.

User avatar
phlip
Restorer of Worlds
Posts: 7543
Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 3:56 am UTC
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread : For all your obscenity screaming needs

Postby phlip » Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:04 am UTC

It's still all MDI'd inside the same window, though, so you can't have two spreadsheets open on different screens without significant dicking around...

MDI was a neat idea, but I'm glad most programs are moving away from it these days... the tabbed model that most browsers use is a much better way of having multiple things open in the same window, especially when the tabs can be easily torn off into their own windows, or rearranged...

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

User avatar
bessie
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:27 am UTC
Location: California

Re: Rant Thread : For all your obscenity screaming needs

Postby bessie » Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:30 am UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:Did you use the clunky shift-click-on-Excel-logo-in-task-bar workaround or did you find an other?
It's the result of Microsoft Office not following Microsoft Windows' standard way of working and the results of that particular idiocy bug me immensely. They probably don't communicate or something.


Thank you so much Neil. I tried this first thing when I got to work this morning. This has been irritating me for a long time.

User avatar
Neil_Boekend
Posts: 3219
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:35 am UTC
Location: Yes.

Re: Rant Thread : For all your obscenity screaming needs

Postby Neil_Boekend » Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:19 am UTC

bessie wrote:
Neil_Boekend wrote:Did you use the clunky shift-click-on-Excel-logo-in-task-bar workaround or did you find an other?
It's the result of Microsoft Office not following Microsoft Windows' standard way of working and the results of that particular idiocy bug me immensely. They probably don't communicate or something.


Thank you so much Neil. I tried this first thing when I got to work this morning. This has been irritating me for a long time.

You're welcome.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his


Return to “General”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 25 guests