Blistering blue barnacles

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

SurgicalSteel

Re: Rant Thread : For all your obscenity screaming needs

Postby SurgicalSteel » Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:11 am UTC

Adacore wrote:In the UK, I believe most police traffic cars are fitted with cameras and a computer system which automatically performs a registration and insurance check on every license plate they see.
Some American police departments do too, but that technology is pretty controversial here.
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:35 pm UTC

Whizbang wrote:The registration expires. You can keep the plates.

We get new plates every 5 or 10 years. I forget which.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:01 pm UTC

So that's why stuff made out of old licence plates is a thing in the US. I just figured they were taken from cars that were about to be scrapped.

Incidentally it's not just police cars that are fitted with ANPR (automatic numberplate regcognition) gear in the UK - there's a fairly extensive network of static cameras on major roads too.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:16 pm UTC

That probably also changes based on the state and how hated the design is.

Everyone hated the smiling sun one. Everyone. For a while, most gas stations sold stickers of frowning faces, plain yellow or other things that could be used to obstruct the sun's face. Provided it didn't cover the numbers, it's legal.

We now use the one on the top which, while not great looking, is perfectly acceptable.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

suffer-cait
Yes, that's my perfectly normal house cat, why do you ask?

Postby suffer-cait » Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:40 am UTC

more than ten years sometimes. my mom's car has had the same plate for at least 12 years, as has mine, i think.
ImageImageImageImageImage

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:31 am UTC

I'm sure it varies from state to state.

Isaac Hill
Systems Analyst????

Postby Isaac Hill » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:37 pm UTC

Maybe the elaborate plate designs help identify what state the plate is from when the stupid licence plate holder is blocking the state name. When I bought my current car, the salesman took the plates off my old one and put them on the new one with shiny licence plate holders with the dealership's name on them. Those came off about 5 minutes after I got home.

New rant: I had a pretty straightforward plan for my vacation next week:
M-Tam: Get old rug ripped out, new floor installed
Tpm-W: Put all my stuff back in those rooms
Th-S: Music Festival on Block Island
I explained this to the floor installer when I set up the appointment, and was assured that Monday was OK. Today I got a call that the shipper "forgot" to send the tiles, and they won't be here until the middle of my vacation. Since I won't be home the second half of the week, this means I will have to take more time off to be here for the install.

I would just extend my vacation a couple days. But, I have an arbitration hearing at work regarding the raise I was screwed out of because management decided the labor contract setting the raise budget was unenforceable. I requested that hearing in Nov, and it's finally happening. The dates are still tentative. One possibility is June 16th, which would mean I'd get a copy of management's presentation to the arbitrator (and they get mine) June 15th, the Monday after my planned vacation. So, I can't take that off because I might need to be at work. The date won't be set for sure until during my vacation.

I asked the floor installer if his supplier was giving him a discount for forgetting the order, which he could pass on to me. He said he wasn't getting a discount, and that'd we'd have to talk about that later.
Alleged "poems"
that don't follow a rhyme scheme
are not poetry

ivnja
The spirit of things can bugger right off.

Postby ivnja » Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:24 am UTC

Isaac Hill wrote:Maybe the elaborate plate designs help identify what state the plate is from when the stupid licence plate holder is blocking the state name.
Which is great, as long as they stick to one design each. But there are so many conservation plates and organizational plates and fundraising plates and political-type plates (something like six different states have yellow "Don't Tread On Me" plates). I mean, some states have literally 100+ specialty plates. Its ridiculous. Get a bumper sticker if you want to rep an organization.
BlueBox.jpg
BlueBox.jpg (17.7 KiB) Viewed 3587 times

Spoiler:

Anyway, I'm done now. Sorry to hear about your floor, and I hope you do at least get a discount.
Hi you.
she/her

Isaac Hill
Systems Analyst????

Postby Isaac Hill » Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:00 pm UTC

ivnja wrote:Sorry to hear about your floor, and I hope you do at least get a discount.
Thanks. Last week, they actually tried to bump the schedule up to June 5/6, but I told them no. I was actually wondering if they were lyng about the shipment being forgotten to get out of the date I wanted. They sent me a Fed Ex tracking number for a shipment with my name on that says it's in Wed. I could actually do Wed. If they're worried about taking more than a day, they could remove the old rug and prep the floor Tues and install the new stuff Wed. But, they don't know what time Wed it'll be in.

Fed Ex shipped the stuff from Tennesse Friday. It seems like they could have ordered expedited shipping and gotten it here for Tues if not Monday. He didn't mention a discount, and I didn't ask. I may just give myself a discount and give him a check for $200 less when the job's done to make up for the extra time I'll have to take off work. I doubt they'd want to spend a day in small claims court over $200.

It'd be one thing if the delay was caused by something outside anyone's control, like if there was an unexpectedly high number of orders for my material and the supplier ran out. But, he said the supplier just forgot. It seems like every time I try to have something done on my house, the workers screw up a fundamental part of their job.

A few years ago, I heard what I thought was rain. I went down stairs and saw water pouring out of the heating vent in the basement ceiling. It looked like something out of a Three Stooges short, when they connect the electric to the plumbing and water pours out of the lights. It turns out a junction in th kitchen sink, which is right above that vent, failed. I called aplumber to fix it.

The next morning, the supervisor showed up to assess the job and determine how many people it'd take to fix it. He noticed the faucet was leaking a bit, which I'd been to lazy to fix, and said they install a new one for $75, plus replace the failed junction. I said OK, and that afternoon, two guys showed up with a new faucet.

However, the faucet didn't have the spray attachment. So, they went to return it. But, they didn't have the receipt, the supervisor did. I overheard one of the guys talking on the phone about finishing "tomorrow". I didn't want to spend another day on this, so the other guy and I went to the store and I bought the faucet myself, which was $40.

The other guy had it almost installed when the tomorrow guy returned. The good thing is, they never bothered to bill me. I don't know if they forgot, or just figured it wasn't worth it, since they wouldn't be able to overcharge me for the new faucet.

Then, there was the time I needed my drain snaked. I got a couple quotes, one a flat rate, the other hourly. I went with the flat rate guy, and he tried to charge me an extra $50 since the job took so long. I explained that I'd been quoted a flat rate, and he called his supervisor and got me the price I'd been quoted.

I thought everything was OK until I went to use the downstairs toilet, which he'd removed to access the drain. It wouldn't refill, because he'd forgotten to reconnect it. I called, and they said he'd be by that evening to fix it; I wouldn't even have to take more time off work.

He came by when he said he would, but was in is own vehcile, not the company van, so he had no tools. He asked to borrow my wrench and got to work. I sat down to watch the Daily Show rerun. After the Daily Show, he was still down there. I wondered what was taken so long, and he'd comletely screwed everything up. They had to send a separate plumber to fix it. It took the plumber two hours and I think he had to weld stuff. All because the first guy forgot to reconnect the toilet.
Last edited by Isaac Hill on Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:30 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Alleged "poems"
that don't follow a rhyme scheme
are not poetry

addams

Postby addams » Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:18 pm UTC

The joys and sorrows of home improvement.
I once owned and loved a hundred year old house.

Did I ever tell you about the time a plumber put the water pipes at four feet through a doorway?
Having plumbers around can really spice up your life. Don't leave a plumber home unsupervised.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

addams

Postby addams » Sun Jun 07, 2015 4:45 am UTC

Ahhh!
Is this where we come to share our difficulties with reality?

Ahhh!
The air is full of wood smoke.
I think the smoke is coming up the river bed.

The sky to the south is tinged orange.
This may be the first forest fire of the season.

Hey! It's kind of a big deal to me.
I'm in the forest!

I might lose electric service.

ok. Deep breath.
That fire is at a distance; Five miles or more.
Most likely, a little smoke is all I will see of it.

I hope.
Darned fires can be inconvenient.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:30 am UTC

Wow, this thread was so low down the page I feel bad for dredging it back up.

Dear idiotic white woman driving in Oxford today in a small black hatchback,

I'm not sure if you realise this, but as a cyclist, I am actually allowed to use the whole road, especially in a 20mph zone. While I can (and do) glance behind me from time to time, your car brings you into what would have been my range of view faster than I can keep track, but notably slower than would take for you to realise that I was moving to the middle of the road and slow down accordingly. Irregarding the fact that I was moving to the middle of the road to be prepared to enter the right lane when the road splits for the traffic lights, you are not allowed to try to overtake me because you feel I'm going to slow, especially while someone else is driving towards us on the other side of the road. Also, not that it would have made it any better or safer if this was not the case, but you were rushing to get around me to get to a clearly red light 20m away. The same traffic light that I got to and waited at after you overtook me, and kept giving me the stink eye (well, I can give that right back).

You are the reason why cyclists die. I wish I didn't have to cave in and move out of your way, but it was that or let you cause a massive accident.

Worst wishes,
Angua
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

Fractal_Tangent
Today is my Birthday!

Postby Fractal_Tangent » Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:07 pm UTC

My parents house opens onto a main road and I occasionally use it for cycling to the nearest town. Lorries are pretty bad because I feel like 90% of the time they want to murder you but normally it's just because they're large and can't use the whole road to overtake me.

It's those types of drivers who want to overtake when it's clearly not safe or I'm attempting to do something (such as turning right) that really make me want to punch someone. They're clearly aware of you, but they can't wait until it's safe to overtake.
eSOANEM wrote:
right now, that means it's Nazi punching time.

she/her/hers
=]

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:17 pm UTC

Like, seriously, she was giving me looks as though I was doing something ridiculous, when I was clearly within my legal rights as a road user, and then she got to her red light and waited there for long that I had plenty of time. And still gave me the stink eye as she drove off (the turn right lane has delayed traffic lights). Not my fault you were nearly in an accident.

On the bright side, I was so angry at her that I made it all the way up the hill without any problem whatsoever. I wish I had that energy all the time.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

AngrySquirrel
Hellish Sex Goddess

Postby AngrySquirrel » Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:31 pm UTC

I don't bike anymore. Too many people trying to kill me.
Putting the fist into pacifist.

they/them/theirs

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:20 pm UTC

I don't drive much anymore. Biking is safer.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.

Postby Yakk » Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:34 pm UTC

Per second, biking is safer. Per km, faster modes of transportation tend to be safer (for the person doing the transportation).

Walking per km is less safe than
Biking per km is less safe than
Driving per km is less safe than
Plane per km

Notable Exceptions: Mass transit gets a discount. Motorbikes are as fast as Cars, and (last I checked) less safe than Walking per km. Base jumping is very unsafe per km if used as a mode of transport.

In a nearby large city, the majority of traffic fatalities are people walking. Most of those deaths are on roads marked 60km/h+.
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

Last edited by JHVH on Fri Oct 23, 4004 BCE 6:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:46 pm UTC

One thing that these sort of stats always miss (unavoidably) is how much of the risk is under the control of the person in question. I'm pretty sure that I can substantially reduce my risk when walking around in a city by being very attentive and careful while crossing the road - taking headphones off, crossing only at a marked crossings, looking and listening carefully throughout and not becoming so inebriated that I can't do these things effectively. I'm less convinced that so many of the risks are directly under my control while cycling, but I have no idea whether the "residual risk" after this is taken into account is greater for cycling or walking, and no idea how to find out.

Basically - is a careful pedestrian at greater or lesser risk per km than a careful cyclist?

Yakk

Postby Yakk » Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:32 pm UTC

In Canada:
Pedestrians: Some of the characteristics of pedestrian traffic fatalities are as follows:

75% of pedestrian traffic fatalities occurred on urban roads;

60% of pedestrians killed in traffic crashes were trying to cross the road;

35% of fatally injured pedestrians were aged 65 or older even though they represent only 13% of the population;

63% of pedestrians killed at intersections were 65 or older;

6% of fatally injured pedestrians were under the age of 16 and of these, 20% ran out into the street;

33% of fatally injured pedestrians were at-fault for the crash;

33% of fatally injured pedestrians were struck by a driver who had committed a traffic infraction prior to the crash;

60% of pedestrians were killed at night or during dim light conditions when they are not seen by drivers;

40% of fatally injured pedestrians had been drinking.

source: http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/motorvehiclesaf ... 5-1201.htm
So, do not cross the road (crosswalks and not). Do not walk at night, and if you do, be day-glo-bright. Do not drink and walk. Obey all laws.

That should at least reduce your death rate by a factor of 4, assuming even a modest non-overlap.

Here are bicyclist death causes:
http://www.iihs.org/iihs/topics/t/pedes ... s/bicycles
the only obvious one is to avoid alcohol (1/3 of dead cyclists are drunk, probably not 1/3 of cyclists are drunk), and maybe major roads and rural areas and nighttime (based off the idea that 1/3 of deaths occur at nighttime, and I doubt 1/3 of road use is at nighttime).

You can guess "being super-attentive" or whatever would make you even safer, but it is really really easy to fool yourself about that kind of thing.
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

Chen

Postby Chen » Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:18 pm UTC

Hmm how is it that only 60% of the pedestrian deaths were trying to cross the road. What were the other 40% doing on the road to begin with? Were they just walking on the road or something? I mean it'd be pretty terrifying if that means the other 40% were people walking on sidewalks and the like and cars just veering off the road and hitting them.

Yakk

Postby Yakk » Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:11 pm UTC

It seems reasonable that somewhere close to 40% of deaths would be on the sidewalk.

Anything from a car leaving a parking lot, an accident causing a car to go flying, a car veering off the road, a car turning too sharply and crushing a pedestrian on the sidewalk waiting at a corner, etc.

Those are 1000 lbs+ metal-clad fast-moving half-blind monsters on that there street.

So no, you don't have great control over your ability to live while walking on roads. At first glance, the death rate per km seems pretty high even if you do everything right.

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:17 pm UTC

Hmm, interesting. Thanks for looking up those statistics. It's interesting how walking gives a me much greater subjective sense of control than cycling, at least in a city, even though that doesn't appear to objectively be the case. On rural roads without a pavement I probably feel a little bit more in control on a bike than on foot.

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:07 am UTC

What an extensive conversation from a silly smug "I live in the Netherlands and love my country" comment. I less than three you gals/guys/other.

Yakk wrote:Here are bicyclist death causes:
http://www.iihs.org/iihs/topics/t/pedes ... s/bicycles
the only obvious one is to avoid alcohol (1/3 of dead cyclists are drunk, probably not 1/3 of cyclists are drunk), and maybe major roads and rural areas and nighttime (based off the idea that 1/3 of deaths occur at nighttime, and I doubt 1/3 of road use is at nighttime).

Nighttime biking can be a lot safer if you have working lights on your bike. That is probably the number one accident reason for bicyclists here in the Netherlands, people who are to stupid to know they should have proper lights on their bikes. I can't find statistics on it by the way.
Yes we have that many people biking around without lights, often drunk, often in dark clothing (winter fashion is usually a black coat) and sometimes on dark country roads. I always have working lights, usually have spare lights and unless I am coming from a pub (where fashion is more important) I often wear a yellow reflective coat.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

he/him/his

Fractal_Tangent
Today is my Birthday!

Postby Fractal_Tangent » Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:15 am UTC

I always thought that if I was going to do a lot of night time biking, I'd want one of these.

(Side thought: I don't like including punctuation like commas and full stops into urls. Why is this? However, apostrophes are fine. I can't even be logically consistent about my punctuation/url thing)
eSOANEM wrote:

she/her/hers
=]

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:22 am UTC

That thing is the best thing ever for nightly biking in the snow! WANT!

he/him/his

Fractal_Tangent
Today is my Birthday!

Postby Fractal_Tangent » Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:26 am UTC

I was going to get one for my dad because he used to do a lot of cycling but I've never been able to find out where to buy them from.
eSOANEM wrote:

she/her/hers
=]

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:30 am UTC

I am currently encountering that same problem.

he/him/his

Fractal_Tangent
Today is my Birthday!

Postby Fractal_Tangent » Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:36 am UTC

If you find out, I would love to give this idea some money.
eSOANEM wrote:

she/her/hers
=]

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:42 am UTC

I gave up. Either they haven't actually made a product yet or they hired Dumb and Dumber as their marketing department. All I can see are renderings. I'll throw some questions to the recumberent biking group, but I guess they thought up the idea but have never made a product. Especially since I can't see how their LED grid would project anything but a roundish blob of light.

he/him/his

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:03 am UTC

Fractal_Tangent wrote:I always thought that if I was going to do a lot of night time biking, I'd want one of these.

(Side thought: I don't like including punctuation like commas and full stops into urls. Why is this? However, apostrophes are fine. I can't even be logically consistent about my punctuation/url thing)

Forget cycling, I want one for skiing - no more not being able to see contours in flat light (it would obviously need to be bright enough to be visible in the daytime).

Neil_Boekend wrote:I gave up. Either they haven't actually made a product yet or they hired Dumb and Dumber as their marketing department. All I can see are renderings. I'll throw some questions to the recumberent biking group, but I guess they thought up the idea but have never made a product. Especially since I can't see how their LED grid would project anything but a roundish blob of light.

Personally I would do it with a laser and a diffraction grating. Something like this would kind of work, although a grid of dots wouldn't be as good as a grid of lines.

I'm tempted to buy that grating and an appropriately powered laser and try and make something myself.

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:39 am UTC

Dots wouldn't be as effective but once I have work again I will probably order that with a E50 laser pointer.

he/him/his

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:43 pm UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:That thing is the best thing ever for nightly biking in the snow! WANT!

How are those two sentences related? Remember all the snow last winter? Me neither. :P

Fractal_Tangent wrote:(Side thought: I don't like including punctuation like commas and full stops into urls. Why is this? However, apostrophes are fine. I can't even be logically consistent about my punctuation/url thing)

Tradition! The full stops aren't even that silly: (apart from the obvious domain name dots) they allow you to go to a parent directory (a lot of web servers just feed the path part of the URL to the filesystem). But it's annoying that you can't put punctuation next to an URI/URL.
Even worse, it's not easy to correctly identify an URI, let alone parse it.

TIL: f+:?/@# is a valid URI. I need to register the f+ scheme ASAP.

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:02 pm UTC

Multiple fixed commitments in far flung bits of London + tube strike = spending about 6 hours travelling rather than 2.

My journey home from North London involved a bus, which was ridiculously slow due to traffic, a Boris bike, because any of the buses I could change to to get home were turning back before reaching central London because they were so delayed. The Boris bike then broke (pedal fell off), and there were no more available in the immediate area, so I got another ridiculously slow bus going to vaguely the right place, then walked the rest of the way.

To cap it all, the amount of time it took me in the end, I would have been quicker walking the whole way from the start.

Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread

Postby Sungura » Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:03 pm UTC

Seven weeks post-injury. Five doctors later. Finally one bothers to order a test (MRI) to try and find out what we are dealing with.
On the other hand, this fifth doctor already has preconceived ideas of what the issue is, and that idea ignores about half of the facts.

Better than the fourth doctor though, who tried to convince me it was all in my head, and about succeeded, and made me wait as long as I did before finding another opinion, at the prodding of my SO and a friend who had to convince me the pain I am feeling is real, and that they can indeed see the massive amounts of swelling and the protrusion from my leg (under my skin, just a huge hard palpable lump). But my head feels fucked up right now like I can't believe my own sensations thanks to that fourth doctor (and some the ones before him who didn't believe me, but they didn't try to convince me I wasn't feeling what I was feeling, they just didn't think what I was feeling was a problem).

And people wonder why I hate doctors. This is my experience every time I have something wrong. It usually takes me multiple years to find a doctor to actually troubleshoot and fix something. I get it, they aren't gods, and they don't know everything, but isn't that why it is a science? You take the data, you test hypothesis, and then you keep at it until the answer is found? In my experience, it either fits what they think it should be, or it doesn't. And for me since I get the odd injuries from being into odd sports, this means it doesn't, which means of course there isn't a problem, because it isn't the problem they think it should be. :evil:
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/<any gender neutral>/snug

addams

Postby addams » Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:19 pm UTC

oh, Sungura; I'm sorry you are going through that.
I have a similar story.

My little story looped through me being accused of being a 'drug seeker'.

I paid $165.00 cash to be insulted and not helped.
I was in a great deal of pain and uninsured.

I have a nice Doctor, now.
He is like something out of an old Walton's episode.

Seriously.
Going to see him is a surreal experience.

His office is in a building that must be one hundred years old.
Central casting could have sent him, he fits the building.

Other that the toilet room, it has not been remodeled.
The door knob from the sunporch doesn't work right.

(shrug) It's a small town.
Everyone knows you are new, if you can't open the door.

It seems to me, his job is knowing who to refer to.
He practices healing by *hug*. He's good at it.

He wrote an Rx for pain meds and referred me to an amazing specialist.

In my experience, to receive medical care in the US
a person needs a fuck of a lot of both money and luck.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

eSOANEM
:D

Postby eSOANEM » Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:47 pm UTC

Quercus wrote:
Neil_Boekend wrote:I gave up. Either they haven't actually made a product yet or they hired Dumb and Dumber as their marketing department. All I can see are renderings. I'll throw some questions to the recumberent biking group, but I guess they thought up the idea but have never made a product. Especially since I can't see how their LED grid would project anything but a roundish blob of light.

Personally I would do it with a laser and a diffraction grating. Something like this would kind of work, although a grid of dots wouldn't be as good as a grid of lines.

I'm tempted to buy that grating and an appropriately powered laser and try and make something myself.

I think you should be able to make suitable diffraction gratings by having grooves on the grating going in two perpendicular directions. It might even work just putting two linear diffractions gratings one on top of each other with their lines perpendicular.
my pronouns are they

Magnanimous wrote:(fuck the macrons)

BattleMoose

Postby BattleMoose » Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:52 am UTC

Sungura wrote:And people wonder why I hate doctors. This is my experience every time I have something wrong. It usually takes me multiple years to find a doctor to actually troubleshoot and fix something. I get it, they aren't gods, and they don't know everything, but isn't that why it is a science? You take the data, you test hypothesis, and then you keep at it until the answer is found? In my experience, it either fits what they think it should be, or it doesn't. And for me since I get the odd injuries from being into odd sports, this means it doesn't, which means of course there isn't a problem, because it isn't the problem they think it should be. :evil:

Ouch. From what I understand medical school is mostly trying to cram the human knowledge base of what can go wrong with humans into a "doctor". I haven't been to a GP in nearly forever, except with the explicit intention to get a referral for a specialist which is something you need to do in Australia. If you are having injuries from sports, see a specialist who specialises in that, if you haven't been already.

BattleMoose

Postby BattleMoose » Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:56 am UTC

Quercus wrote:Hmm, interesting. Thanks for looking up those statistics. It's interesting how walking gives a me much greater subjective sense of control than cycling, at least in a city, even though that doesn't appear to objectively be the case. On rural roads without a pavement I probably feel a little bit more in control on a bike than on foot.

Walking gives me a much greater sense of safety too. I have cycled a lot in Melbourne and I have lost count of the "near misses" I have had and there was one actual collision. Walking, never even had a scare. I walk a lot too. Time wise, its probably very similar.

addams

Postby addams » Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:21 am UTC

Walking does feel safe.

I've had one near miss while walking.
While turning a corner, after a rain, a bus slid sideways.

It was coming right at me.
I saw the driver's face. Ahh!

Bicycles are a lot faster than walking.
I have had bike wrecks.
I have seen bike wrecks.

I've lost people to car vs bike.
That sure makes me think.

The woman on the bike was darned near a genius.
She taught university math.

She was talented in friends and family.
She could have taught social skills.
Her name was Susan.

The woman that was driving the car was an idiot.
If Susan was so smart....? It made me think.

I have made up my mind.
I support any project that moves bicyclists away from automobile traffic.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:25 am UTC

I mostly want a doctor to tell me whether or not I should really be worried about things that concern me, because there are a lot of things that I could be concerned about if I started thinking about every little thing that ails me or seems odd about me, but I don't want to be a hypochondriac; on the other hand, I have literally broken bones and not realized it until years after the fact when someone asked me when the now-healed break (that I wasn't aware of) had occurred, so apparently I'm able to put up with an awful lot of shit before it gets so bad that I feel like I really need to see someone about it.

So I want someone to tell me what an appropriate level of worry is about a bunch of different things, once a year or so, all in one visit; regular scheduled maintenance. A checkup. That's what a fucking checkup is right? You'll tell me if anything's wrong with me that I should get looked at? But no, apparently that's not something doctors will do, and they instead tell me that I can go to a gajillion different specialists to have every little concern investigated if I'm that worried about it, missing the point that I just want to know if I should be worried or not. If you were me, doc, would you go see a specialist about this, that, or other thing, or are they all probably nothing? That's what I want to know! That's the whole reason I'm here!

When I finally got health insurance at 29 and went for my first general checkup in my adult life (which I thought would be free, what's the fucking point of health insurance if an annual checkup isn't even fucking covered), the doctor referred me to a dermatologist to get a "general skin check" since a lot of my little "should I worry about this?" were skin oddities. The dermatologist (also not covered) would do no such thing and insisted I pick one thing for him to look at per appointment. I picked one at random. It turned out to be cancer. A small, easily-removed carcinoma, over and done with that visit, but fuck. The first random fucking little thing that I get checked out in my adult life, something that really wasn't even much of a concern at all but just a "is it supposed to look like that?", was fucking cancer.

But I'm not paying hundreds of fucking dollars to have every single tiny niggling little piece of shit weird question about my body answered one by one, one appointment at a time. Fuck that shit. They can't all be cancer and if they are, fuck it, life is pointless and I'm just waiting to die now anyway, bring it the fuck on and get it over with sooner.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

Return to “General”