Hype your ripe snipes 'n' gripes

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

benjhuey

Re: Rant Thread

Postby benjhuey » Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:36 am UTC

I've been "sick" for something nearing a month now. I haven't been all that well since I came to this place. Various symptoms seem to fade in and out with every passing week; I have a rotation of things that make me miserable. Fuck.

@ kinigget: Yeah, fuck Mr. Owner

@ anything regarding PatchMonster's poor choice of words: I find it really fucking annoying that we're having this discussion here.
多么现在棕色母牛?

eternal luna

Postby eternal luna » Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:52 am UTC

Uh, what was that, NCIS? "primitus victor" is Latin for "first victim"? Hell no. Try "originally the winner/victor". A first year Latin student would be able to tell you that, so please do some modicum of research and stop mangling my favourite language. Kthxbai.
Alexius:-Охуели? Нахуя дохуя хуйний нахуярили? Расхуяривай нахуй!
-Хули? Нихуя! Нехуй расхуяривать! Нахуячено нехуёво! Похуярили!
Gojoe: We are all inferior to you luna.

The Spherical Cow

Postby The Spherical Cow » Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:17 am UTC

PatchMonster wrote:I meant traitor to their home country, I'm not a Nazi I swear! I implied that they are traitors since all they do is purchase sushi/japanese books etc (*NOT ALL ANIME FANS DO THIS*); halfway out of jest and emphasis. Also, I wasn't over generalizing/putting anime people into a group, I identified a specific rare range of people. I turn my back for a few days and see people accusing me of racism :shock: .
You did actually specify "race" in your original post - you said "why can't they come to terms that they are indeed WHITE/(whatever race that isn't Asian)". Since you are apparently excluding American-born Asians from your ire, the suggestion you meant "traitor to their home country" - which, incidentally is pretty damn stupid in itself - holds very little water.

And, what roc said.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:14 pm UTC

PatchMonster wrote:
Patch Monster wrote:Stuff
More Stuff

How's that hole coming along? Oh my, pretty deep so far, I see. Going to quit now, or are you going to try and take it to the next level?
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

|Erasmus|
Branson

Postby |Erasmus| » Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:47 pm UTC

'; DROP DATABASE;-- wrote:They will burn in hell next to the people who use O, S, I, l, and (maybe) Z for variables, and the ones who use u and v in the same equation. (I'm tempted to exclude Z because it's common and doesn't look too much like 5...)

Also, now my laptop is kernel panicking at random. For fuck's sake, I moved to Linux to get away from this shit! And my DS just destroyed another memory card, that's like the 10th one now. And the Xubuntu AMD64 Alternate torrent is completely dead, these usually have hundreds of seeds, wtf!? fuckfuckfuckfuckfuck I should just be a farmer.

anyone using single, capital letter variable names at all is asking for it.

z is a fine variable name, especially inc computer graphics. x,y,z co-ordinates much? I call my z co-ordinate z.

Why on earth are you torrenting Xubuntu... the servers they have are ridiculously fast and it will probably be faster to get a direct download than to use anything but the most obscene torrent.

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:14 pm UTC

benjhuey wrote:@ anything regarding PatchMonster's poor choice of words: I find it really fucking annoying that we're having this discussion here.

... so you can't rant about the rant thread in the rant thread? That seems like an amazingly complex series of rules for a throw-away thread like this one.

"God, no! You can't have a discussion, opinion or response in there! ONLY ANGRY GRIPING WITHOUT FEAR OF RESPONSIBILITY."

:mrgreen:

emceng

Postby emceng » Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:08 pm UTC

eternal luna wrote:Uh, what was that, NCIS? "primitus victor" is Latin for "first victim"? Hell no. Try "originally the winner/victor". A first year Latin student would be able to tell you that, so please do some modicum of research and stop mangling my favourite language. Kthxbai.

Despite the fact that I enjoy watching the show, the writing sucks. EVERYONE refers to Agent Gibbs as "Agent Gibbs". Yeah, so some douchebag that just got caught for murder is going to repeatedly use that specific moniker for the guy who caught him? Or the weeping mother of a kidnap victim is going to be repeatedly saying "Agent Gibbs".

There are other minor things as well that do not spring to mind - either way, the writing does not have natural conversational flow. It sounds like a TV show.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

Lolsaur

Postby Lolsaur » Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:13 pm UTC

It.....IS a TV show......
:|
Worst Fight Scene Ever

This cosy, special made for this Teapot

Spoiler:
You've never looked better than you did that night
And your eyes have never looked so blue
And when we kissed it was like nothing else existed
As time stood still for me and you

Alpha Omicron

Postby Alpha Omicron » Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:49 pm UTC

Lolsaur wrote:It.....IS a TV show......

Which is why it sucks.
Here is a link to a page which leverages aggregation of my tweetbook social blogomedia.

Mo0man

Postby Mo0man » Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:53 pm UTC

Flying Betty wrote:
Mo0man wrote:Stuff I said

Stuff calling me out on my bullshit

I've got no citations or anything. All I had was "Mens sizes came from the army, and this therefore standardised" and "women's sizes came from elsewhere and is therefore not standardised". Not exactly a clear chain of logic, so lets just call me an idiot and be done with it.
That statement is NOT sarcastic, I just need to learn how to write more clearly, and is too lazy to do it right now
causa major dormuc vulnero ut ovis goatee
I'm number 20075. Remember that. It's important

Balidani

Postby Balidani » Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:47 pm UTC

i hate myself.
Last edited by Balidani on Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:37 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

PatchMonster

Postby PatchMonster » Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:27 pm UTC

roc314 wrote:
PatchMonster wrote:I meant traitor to their home country, I'm not a Nazi I swear!
So you are saying they are race traitors, just traitors to their country because they happen to like another culture? How is that an improvement over your previous statement?
I implied that they are traitors since all they do is purchase sushi/japanese books etc
How is that being a traitor? I like Chinese food, am I a traitor? My friend say a foreign film, is he a traitor?
(*NOT ALL ANIME FANS DO THIS*);
Hey, it's okay that I was accusing people of being race traitors, I was only only doing it to a few people.
halfway out of jest and emphasis.
It's also okay because I was joking; it's okay to spread hate so long as you claim it wasn't serious later.
Also, I wasn't over generalizing/putting anime people into a group, I identified a specific rare range of people.
Again, why does the number of people you are accusing make any difference?
I turn my back for a few days and see people accusing me of racism :shock: .
Probably because you were and are being racist.

Can't a guy post a socially irresponsible rant without being held accountable? I think I took "rant thread" in a bad context. Sorry for any confusion, I'm not going to lie, it was out of my place. You misquoted (out of context) me for almost everything I said, so let me just clarify:

-I love Chinese food
-I play Nintendo to this day
-I was mad because a particular person in my life was practically denouncing her country and taking it for granted :\
The liberal media has a hidden agenda!

kinigget

Postby kinigget » Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:34 pm UTC

see? it helps a lot when you clarify your intentions. that way these kinds of arguments stay small and don't devolve into flame wars!

(am I overdoing it?) (probably)
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I can tell from his word choice that he is using his penis to type.

Steax wrote:I think the courts are kinda busy right now. Something about cake and due process.

Sarr

Postby Sarr » Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:36 pm UTC

PatchMonster wrote:-I was mad because a particular person in my life was practically denouncing her country and taking it for granted :\

"Denouncing her Country"? What does that mean? That she would rather go to Japan and live there in that culture than wherever you are? Is there something wrong with that? I'd rather live in Canada than in this backwards fuckhole of a country, does that mean I'm a "Traitor" too?

Nationalism makes me want to strangle something.
Rakysh wrote:Basically, xkcd is basically for punching into submission the dumb frat guy in your brain.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
As the Arbiter of Everything, Everything Sucks

Postby (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ » Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:39 pm UTC

THIS IS MY RANT.

PatchMonster wrote:-I love Chinese food

....*FACEPALM*.
Heyyy baby wanna kill all humans?

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:48 pm UTC

Also... really? You really expected to type "race traitor" and not have eighty bajillion people jump down your throat about it? Here? Where we berate people for using gay as a pejorative, which pretty much runs opposite of the rest of the internet?

Really?
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Quixotess
No. Cookies.

Postby Quixotess » Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:49 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Also... really? You really expected to type "race traitor" and not have eighty bajillion people jump down your throat about it? Here? Where we berate people for using gay as a pejorative, which pretty much runs opposite of the rest of the internet?

Really?

^^why I like it here.
Raise up the torch and light the way.

Sarr

Postby Sarr » Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:51 pm UTC

Meaux_Pas wrote:THIS IS MY RANT.
PatchMonster wrote:-I love Chinese food
....*FACEPALM*.
Yeah, I decided I wasn't even going to touch that. Not enough Promethium in the world.
Rakysh wrote:Basically, xkcd is basically for punching into submission the dumb frat guy in your brain.

Noc
Put on her robe and wizard hat ALL NIGHT LONG

Postby Noc » Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:51 pm UTC

Mmm, Chinese food. I never knew chicken fingers and rolls were so . . . multicultural.

[Edit: But seriously. Yes, the point of ranting is to let off steam about something that bugs you, even if it's not something that should bug you. But just because you're ranting doesn't mean you get free reign to be a twat.

As per the OP, all those pages ago:
michaelandjimi wrote:OK, this thread is for ranting, as per the title. Only other thread I could find was 14 posts long, very specific, and old.

Ground Rules: As per forum. No inflammatory comments.

E.G. That Annoying Coworker = Fine
How Homosexuals Should Be Burnt = VERY NOT FINE.

Glad to get that over with.
Further example: "Shit, I got turned down for another job. They gave it to some other fellow instead. This sucks," is perfectly acceptable. "God damn (insert racial slur of your choice here) keep stealing our fucking jobs," is not.

This is the difference.]
Last edited by Noc on Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:00 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Have you given up?

Decker

Postby Decker » Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:58 pm UTC

I am a sucker for fried dumplings and soy sauce.

Rant: I am just nauseous enough where it's irritating. I've been this way for two days.
I was angry with my friend. I told my wrath. My wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe. I told it not. My wrath did grow.

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:08 pm UTC

After a Chinese binge this week, Ah'm a gowna be cookin some cre-o-lee soul food. mmm, feel lahk chikin tohnaght.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

PatchMonster

Postby PatchMonster » Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:19 pm UTC

Sarr wrote:
PatchMonster wrote:-I was mad because a particular person in my life was practically denouncing her country and taking it for granted :\

"Denouncing her Country"? What does that mean? That she would rather go to Japan and live there in that culture than wherever you are? Is there something wrong with that? I'd rather live in Canada than in this backwards fuckhole of a country, does that mean I'm a "Traitor" too?

I'm done explaining my intentions. Never going to post anything of the sorts ever again :| .

The Spherical Cow

Postby The Spherical Cow » Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:26 pm UTC

PatchMonster wrote:
Sarr wrote:

I'm done explaining my intentions. Never going to post anything of the sorts ever again :| .
That's perhaps a good idea. It'd be nice if you could see why people got a bit pissed about what you posted too, though.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:27 pm UTC

Decker wrote:I am a sucker for fried dumplings and soy sauce.

I fucking love dumplings! dammit... now I want dumplings... :(
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

PatchMonster

Postby PatchMonster » Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:35 pm UTC

The Spherical Cow wrote:
PatchMonster wrote:
Sarr wrote:

That's perhaps a good idea. It'd be nice if you could see why people got a bit pissed about what you posted too, though.

O, I do... I'm used to much more immature forums :oops: . Hopefully I will learn from this :wink: . Forgive me :s?

Jebobek

Postby Jebobek » Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:41 pm UTC

Only if your MSpaint a Coca-Cola with a straw going into your kitty avatar's mouth. OTHERWISE IT TALKS ABOUT COCAINE AND DRUGS R BAD

Actual rant being how I don't like people even joking about drugs. (Not trying to pick on you moreso, sorry!)

The Cat

Postby The Cat » Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:09 pm UTC

You have to give Patch a break, I think his Avatar does more to prevent drug use. The Cat looks like such a goof....... Patch, it still brings a smile to my face, cluck on! Good Humor.
Last edited by The Cat on Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:51 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

felltir
has a sniper scope and a trigger finger.

Postby felltir » Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:41 pm UTC

Fuck this shit.

I DON'T WANT TO HEAR THAT I CAME TO YOU FOR SUPPORT NOT DAMNATION.

Someone is asking for a goring in the eye...
Spoiler:
RoadieRich wrote:He's a super flexible furry martial artist from London. She is a Rabbit breeding mad scientist from Michigan. They fight crime!
The Great Hippo wrote:I THINK THE SOLAR SYSTEM MIGHT BE AN ATOM OF OXYGEN.

Blog

he/him/his

Teapot

Postby Teapot » Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:48 pm UTC

*hugs*

For Felltir and anyone else who needs/wants.
Jessica wrote:Dammit, teapot is better than everyone else.
Moo wrote:
pseudoidiot wrote:Localized, non-contagious willy leprosy?
"I'm sorry, sir, it's LNWL. There's nothing we can do".

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:53 pm UTC

Felltir wrote:Fuck this shit.

Someone is asking for a goring in the eye...

hugs for felltir, even though his rants are generally incomprehensable.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

felltir

Postby felltir » Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:57 pm UTC

I do that on purpose.

1) people don't know what I'm talking about unless they're involved

2) noone can tell if it's a serious rant or a little one.
Spoiler:
RoadieRich wrote:He's a super flexible furry martial artist from London. She is a Rabbit breeding mad scientist from Michigan. They fight crime!

Blog

he/him/his

schumi_girl
Human sacrifice for hire

Postby schumi_girl » Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:59 pm UTC

Serious or little, here's lots of hugs and cookies.

*hugsandcookies*

Oh and kitteh will snuggle on your lap :)

Adam: "This could be trouble."
Riley: "We'd better make a fort."
Adam: "I'll get some pillows."

Alpha Omicron

Postby Alpha Omicron » Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:11 pm UTC

I read this as (I DON'T WANT TO HEAR THAT (I CAME TO YOU FOR SUPPORT NOT DAMNATION)),
instead of as (I DON'T WANT TO HEAR THAT)(I CAME TO YOU FOR SUPPORT NOT DAMNATION).

Moral: You still need punctuation when you're angry.
Last edited by Alpha Omicron on Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:20 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Here is a link to a page which leverages aggregation of my tweetbook social blogomedia.

felltir

Postby felltir » Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:20 pm UTC

You read right.
Spoiler:

Blog

he/him/his

benjhuey

Postby benjhuey » Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:42 pm UTC

Azrael wrote:
benjhuey wrote:@ anything regarding PatchMonster's poor choice of words: I find it really fucking annoying that we're having this discussion here.

... so you can't rant about the rant thread in the rant thread? That seems like an amazingly complex series of rules for a throw-away thread like this one.

"God, no! You can't have a discussion, opinion or response in there! ONLY ANGRY GRIPING WITHOUT FEAR OF RESPONSIBILITY."

:mrgreen:

It's fine as long as I get to rant about the latter rant about the former rant in the rant thread, which I did. It was something to rant about. :wink:

Today's rant: People who simply must have the last word, even if the original argument has already ended and transformed into a meta-argument about who is still arguing. In a pinch, Person A at fault:

Person A: "Stop arguing about it."
Person B: "I'm not arguing about it."
Person A: "Then just let it go."
Person B: "I did, I don't even care about it anymore."
Person A: "Then why are you still arguing about it?"
Person B: HEAD ASPLODE
多么现在棕色母牛?

The Cat

Postby The Cat » Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:57 am UTC

GO BIG BLUE!!!

emceng

Postby emceng » Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:04 am UTC

The Cat wrote:GO BIG BLUE!!!

Yeah, IBM is great I guess.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

'; DROP DATABASE;--

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:56 am UTC

Alpha Omicron wrote:
'; DROP DATABASE;-- wrote:(I'm tempted to exclude Z because it's common and doesn't look too much like 5...)

Don't you think it looks a lot more like 2 then 5?
...this is why I don't do math at night. D:

Also, forgot to add to the previous post: on wapanese: Enjoying anime*, learning Japanese, and pretending/wanting to be Japanese are three different things. Many people do only one or two of them, and to varying degrees. Causation vs correlation.

*can't be arsed to fuck with the keymap or use the character map for the accented e.

[edit] Missed a post.
|Erasmus| wrote:
'; DROP DATABASE;-- wrote:They will burn in hell next to the people who use O, S, I, l, and (maybe) Z for variables, and the ones who use u and v in the same equation. (I'm tempted to exclude Z because it's common and doesn't look too much like 2...)

Also, now my laptop is kernel panicking at random. For fuck's sake, I moved to Linux to get away from this shit! And my DS just destroyed another memory card, that's like the 10th one now. And the Xubuntu AMD64 Alternate torrent is completely dead, these usually have hundreds of seeds, wtf!? fuckfuckfuckfuckfuck I should just be a farmer.

anyone using single, capital letter variable names at all is asking for it.
The problem persists whether they're upper or lowercase. Sure they're fine if you're typing, or one of those ridiculously neat writers, but realistically, O, o and 0 can be nearly indistinguishable when handwritten. (I'm talking about math on paper, not code.)
z is a fine variable name, especially inc computer graphics. x,y,z co-ordinates much? I call my z co-ordinate z.
That's the other reason I said maybe. It's a common one and it's not too similar, but it's still close.

Why on earth are you torrenting Xubuntu... the servers they have are ridiculously fast and it will probably be faster to get a direct download than to use anything but the most obscene torrent.
I've never found this to be true. The servers will get me about 100kb/s normally, but since 8.10 just came out, they've been fluctuating between 0.5 and 20kb/s the past few days. The torrents consistently get 200-300kb/s. When they work. (And it did start after a few hours, and pull 300kb/s pretty much non-stop.)
Last edited by '; DROP DATABASE;-- on Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:17 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.

ParanoidAndroid

Postby ParanoidAndroid » Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:11 am UTC

Attention 75% of my friends on facebook:

1. Obama is not, in fact, a Muslim.
2. He is not a communist.
3. He is not comparable to Hitler.
4. He cannot be impeached before being inaugurated.

EeveE

Postby EeveE » Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:44 am UTC

People who say that they are going to move to Canada because they don't want to live in America with Obama as president.

You want to move to Canada over an election? Feel Free. But FYI Canada is:
-Pretty much socialist.
-A constitutional monarchy.
-A dominion who still pays homage to the queen of England.
-A country that has provinces that are trying to break off into their own independent nations.
-And Half the country speaks French.

Good Job planning your escape from "socialism" and "non-patriotism". You are better off going to Mexico.

(I Love Canada, Mexico is great too.)
Spoiler:
Coke cans are red like Communism.

Return to “General”