Hype your ripe snipes 'n' gripes

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

thecommabandit

Re: Rant Thread

Postby thecommabandit » Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:36 pm UTC

Ramses IV wrote:Unfortunately, there's no big piece of cheese at the end of this maze. The reward is the maze itself. Sure, life could be better, but it's my life. And I'm gonna enjoy it. That's why I think Carpe Diem is such an important phrase. So many people...so many wasted lives...that's what makes me sad. Think about it. Or don't, if you'd rather not.

Oh man. Sigged. I'd sig the whole thing if there was enough room. I get that same feeling when I listen to those kinda lame songs about the pointlessness of life (which isn't often - We Live and Die in these Towns by The Enemy is the only one I can think of at the moment). I'd've thought most people just get depressed and think about how it's all pointless. I just get determined to make something of my life and have as much fucking fun as I can before one or more of my internal organs go wrong.

And then I think "Well, I can't explore the park and climb trees now. It's raining/too cold/too dark/I don't have anyone to do it with." I don't have enough fucking drive to do anything and it annoys the hell out of me. I don't even have the drive to change it! I want to but I just lose the momentum when I try. It's just a bloody recursive problem that won't go away. It's a struggle to go and do anything out of the house, and even then I barely do anything. I want to change but I've just failed every time I've tried. It's not going to stop me trying but I'd like at least one or two victories against myself once in a while.

KingLoser
Obnoxious Distraction

Postby KingLoser » Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:32 am UTC

Ramses IV wrote:You want to know why I'm depressed at humanity sometimes?

Spoiler:
I sometimes get real sad when I think about our lives, as humans. I mean, a lot of kids wouldn't mind skipping school all together. Going right to summer vacation. A lot of kids just try to get through school so they can "get out". They think "If I can just make it past this day, this year, it'll be better." I know I spent several years like this. But what's after that? College? Or if not, or after college, what then? A job. Then you can't say "If I can just get through these couple months, it'll be summer!" anymore. Lots of people end up just trying to make it through the day. "At the end of the day," they think, "I'll have a few hours of rest. Finally!" But after that? More work. An endless cycle. I'm sure there are huge amounts of people who might take this a step further. "Just until retirement", they say, "then I can really enjoy my life." What then? You're in your 70s and you look back and realize that you've done nothing with your life? Just tried to get through it? As if it were some gigantic obstacle course? And for what? So you can take a few dozen pills a day and stay home watching reruns of old soap operas? No, that's not gonna be me. Unfortunately, there's no big piece of cheese at the end of this maze. The reward is the maze itself. Sure, life could be better, but it's my life. And I'm gonna enjoy it. That's why I think Carpe Diem is such an important phrase. So many people...so many wasted lives...that's what makes me sad. Think about it. Or don't, if you'd rather not.

Here for a good one, not a long one!
Add me on: Last.fm | Facebook | Flickr doodz.
Is minic a gheibhean beal oscailt díog dúnta.

kinigget

Postby kinigget » Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:11 am UTC

KingLoser wrote:
Ramses IV wrote:You want to know why I'm depressed at humanity sometimes?

Spoiler:
I sometimes get real sad when I think about our lives, as humans. I mean, a lot of kids wouldn't mind skipping school all together. Going right to summer vacation. A lot of kids just try to get through school so they can "get out". They think "If I can just make it past this day, this year, it'll be better." I know I spent several years like this. But what's after that? College? Or if not, or after college, what then? A job. Then you can't say "If I can just get through these couple months, it'll be summer!" anymore. Lots of people end up just trying to make it through the day. "At the end of the day," they think, "I'll have a few hours of rest. Finally!" But after that? More work. An endless cycle. I'm sure there are huge amounts of people who might take this a step further. "Just until retirement", they say, "then I can really enjoy my life." What then? You're in your 70s and you look back and realize that you've done nothing with your life? Just tried to get through it? As if it were some gigantic obstacle course? And for what? So you can take a few dozen pills a day and stay home watching reruns of old soap operas? No, that's not gonna be me. Unfortunately, there's no big piece of cheese at the end of this maze. The reward is the maze itself. Sure, life could be better, but it's my life. And I'm gonna enjoy it. That's why I think Carpe Diem is such an important phrase. So many people...so many wasted lives...that's what makes me sad. Think about it. Or don't, if you'd rather not.

Here for a good one, not a long one!

good sentiment, a joke I once read said, you shouldn't take life to seriously, lord knows you'll never get out of it alive." and I just though that that was good phrase to live by. That's why I am enjoying living on my own these days, I live in a tiny room with only a computer and a radio to help me through the day, so I more or less have to get out of my room to entertain myself. Living in boulder helps too.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I can tell from his word choice that he is using his penis to type.

Steax wrote:I think the courts are kinda busy right now. Something about cake and due process.

eternal luna

Postby eternal luna » Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:27 pm UTC

I have a friend who is harassing/stalking a girl, and I'm in a position where I'm the only one who remotely has a chance of getting him to listen, BUT I have no idea what to say.

GAAGGHH I do not want to hear about this OR be involved in it- yes, I want to be a good friend, but it's freaking me the hell out and I don't know what to do.

Background story: A friend of mine (sometimes a little creepy, touches people too much [though some of that is his OCD, and he keeps forgetting to take his meds]) went to Japan in April-ish. He met a girl in the grade below ours there, they got on really well, etc. On the plane on the return trip, she sat next to him, leant on him, played with his hand. He instantly fell madly in love(?) with her, but things began to go sour over the next few weeks, to the point where she wouldn't talk to him, hid behind her friends when he approached, and just did everything she could to stop him following her, but he, having become obsessed with her, didn't pay this any heed- even though he did notice it. Instead, he upped his attack, and complained about how much he loved her to me every goddamn time he spoke to me.

Well, a few days ago, he confessed that he's been having fantasies about raping her. He told me this as I was standing outside my Legal Studies classroom as I couldn't watch the video they had on regarding sexual/emotional abuse. Yeah, I didn't take that one too well. This morning, he told me that he was "so fucking pissed off" because she was taking another guy to her formal- even though we're not allowed to take people from other grades and she has made no indication of any affection towards him in the last few months. Then I got to hear all about how "she's just going to sleep with him" and how "she'll let him take her virginity" (eugh at the wording of that) because "she's such a whore"- he said that because she leant against him during a long flight, and played with his hand when it was in front of her face. What a slut! And after that? "I promised myself that I'd be the one to do that" - referring to "taking" her virginity.

GAAAAGHGGH

I can't even say anything about this because I'm trying not to hurt him but what the hell?! There is no way I can agree with any of what he's doing, but angry males frighten me to the point of speechlessness. And he was angry today.

(This is one of those situations where advice, if there is any, would be pretty helpful.)
Alexius:-Охуели? Нахуя дохуя хуйний нахуярили? Расхуяривай нахуй!
-Хули? Нихуя! Нехуй расхуяривать! Нахуячено нехуёво! Похуярили!
Gojoe: We are all inferior to you luna.

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:35 pm UTC

Restraining order? Seriously, you might as well have had red flashing lights on your post, there are that many warning signs there.

michaelandjimi
Isn't Even Playing

Postby michaelandjimi » Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:35 pm UTC

Don't let the bears fool you, I'm a pretty peaceful guy, but this guy is a complete jerk.

Seriously. She has made every indication that she doesn't like him (even taking a different person to a formal), and he persists in pursuing her, to the point of having rape fantasies about her. He's promised himself that he will take her virginity, which is also extremely creepy.

Tell him in no uncertain terms to stop it. If he does not, seek outside help - teachers at school, perhaps even his parents. This is not how a normal person should behave, and he could definitely be dangerous for her.
Whelan wrote:Relax, have a good time, and hope for the bees ;)

eternal luna

Postby eternal luna » Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:48 pm UTC

So far all I've managed to do is get him to promise that he'll explain all of this to his therapist, and to agree that she a) is not a whore, and b) that rape fantasies = not good. I'm too frozen to do much else.

I'll steel myself and tell him to stop tomorrow. He (hopefully) will have calmed down a little- I forgot to mention that he sent her a message yesterday, stating "I think we need to talk about us. Meet me tomorrow at the front of the school at lunch. If you get this late, I'll be there everyday this week." She didn't go. He stormed around, yelled "Where the hell is she?!" at her friends, then made me sit with him for the rest of lunch. She turned up at the end, and expressly told him that she didn't like him, very much wished he would leave her alone, and that she wouldn't contact him again.

He ran home (I hope), even though we had 2 more classes to attend.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:04 pm UTC

eternal luna wrote:I have a friend who is harassing/stalking a girl, and I'm in a position where I'm the only one who remotely has a chance of getting him to listen, BUT I have no idea what to say.
I can't even say anything about this because I'm trying not to hurt him but what the hell?! There is no way I can agree with any of what he's doing, but angry males frighten me to the point of speechlessness. And he was angry today.
(This is one of those situations where advice, if there is any, would be pretty helpful.)

Calmly and rationally, with a patient, steady and low voice, explain to him why he is wrong, where is going wrong and where he is making mistakes as you break his legs with a sledgehammer.

Oh, be sure to answer his questions, which will probably be "But she was all over me on the plane!" (People change their minds) "Why are you doing this?" (Because you are being a bit obsessive) "I mean, why are you breaking my legs with a sledgehammer?" (Because you're obviously dumber than a sack of hammers and need a permanent physical reminder to not be an assnozzle)
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Quixotess
No. Cookies.

Postby Quixotess » Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:57 pm UTC

eternal luna wrote:Well, a few days ago, he confessed that he's been having fantasies about raping her. He told me this as I was standing outside my Legal Studies classroom as I couldn't watch the video they had on regarding sexual/emotional abuse.)

1. *hugs hugs hugs*

2. Holy fucking shit.

3. Take him aside, with someone else accompanying you. Boy maybe? Be very, very careful, I wish I could say otherwise but you're right to be frightened of him. If he won't listen or won't talk with you, go to step 4, actually go to step 4 anyway.

4. Write down all the scary things that he says or does and when he says or does them. Try to do it for all the things in the past if you can remember when they happened, but keep a journal now. Talk to an authority at school. If they don't listen, keep finding people to talk to until you find someone who will do something.

5. TALK TO THE GIRL. For God's sake talk to the girl. I can't tell from your post if she knows all the things he's been doing, but she needs to know. In fact, do this before you do anything else except writing everything down. Show her the journal, talk to her, see what she wants to do. Don't let her alone with him if you can help it.
Raise up the torch and light the way.

Amoeba

Postby Amoeba » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:35 pm UTC

I really don't like it when HMV/Zavvi sell books clearly just to make people look good and to show switched-on and urban they are. Especially when they're books I love.
Jesus Christ you have confused me

b.i.o
Green is the loneliest number

Postby b.i.o » Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:19 am UTC

GAH!

The QoS my college does to slow torrents is catching warcraft III packets!

Something is horribly wrong!

|Erasmus|
Branson

Postby |Erasmus| » Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:32 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
eternal luna wrote:I have a friend who is harassing/stalking a girl, and I'm in a position where I'm the only one who remotely has a chance of getting him to listen, BUT I have no idea what to say.

Calmly and rationally, with a patient, steady and low voice, explain to him why he is wrong, where is going wrong and where he is making mistakes as you break his legs with a sledgehammer.

Oh, be sure to answer his questions, which will probably be "But she was all over me on the plane!" (People change their minds) "Why are you doing this?" (Because you are being a bit obsessive) "I mean, why are you breaking my legs with a sledgehammer?" (Because you're obviously dumber than a sack of hammers and need a permanent physical reminder to not be an assnozzle)

I did try to think of a diplomatic way to do that before, but I think you've got it there.

It's stories like this that make me glad I've never had to deal with any of this kind of stuff myself...

Quixotess
No. Cookies.

Postby Quixotess » Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:41 am UTC

You and me both.

Ramses IV

Postby Ramses IV » Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:47 am UTC

Make that you and you and me thrice. Ugh. That is as creepy as hell. Beyond creppy. Scary. Very scary. Frightening.
My Blag

benjhuey wrote:Ramses IV is dead to me, though I don't know how I didn't notice he had already been dead for 3000 years. Ancient Egyptian magic or somethin'.

KingLoser
Obnoxious Distraction

Postby KingLoser » Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:29 am UTC

GAAGGHH I do not want to hear about this OR be involved in it- yes, I want to be a good friend, but it's freaking me the hell out and I don't know what to do.

Background story: A friend of mine (sometimes a little creepy, touches people too much [though some of that is his OCD, and he keeps forgetting to take his meds]) went to Japan in April-ish. He met a girl in the grade below ours there, they got on really well, etc. On the plane on the return trip, she sat next to him, leant on him, played with his hand. He instantly fell madly in love(?) with her, but things began to go sour over the next few weeks, to the point where she wouldn't talk to him, hid behind her friends when he approached, and just did everything she could to stop him following her, but he, having become obsessed with her, didn't pay this any heed- even though he did notice it. Instead, he upped his attack, and complained about how much he loved her to me every goddamn time he spoke to me.

Well, a few days ago, he confessed that he's been having fantasies about raping her. He told me this as I was standing outside my Legal Studies classroom as I couldn't watch the video they had on regarding sexual/emotional abuse. Yeah, I didn't take that one too well. This morning, he told me that he was "so fucking pissed off" because she was taking another guy to her formal- even though we're not allowed to take people from other grades and she has made no indication of any affection towards him in the last few months. Then I got to hear all about how "she's just going to sleep with him" and how "she'll let him take her virginity" (eugh at the wording of that) because "she's such a whore"- he said that because she leant against him during a long flight, and played with his hand when it was in front of her face. What a slut! And after that? "I promised myself that I'd be the one to do that" - referring to "taking" her virginity.

GAAAAGHGGH

Holy crap! A reality slap is well justified in this case... Just sit him down and ask him what the fuck is he at? From what you wrote above, you have plenty of reason to without feeling like a nosy so and so.

And seriously, that rape stuff.. if he says it again, tell him you're goin to the cops. That's not right, like somethin wrong in that head of his.

Quixotess
No. Cookies.

Postby Quixotess » Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:56 am UTC

KingLoser wrote:And seriously, that rape stuff.. if he says it again, tell him you're goin to the cops. That's not right, like somethin wrong in that head of his.

It's sort of interesting that I personally consider (and think others feel the same) fantasies of being raped to be normal and not something that translates into reality, but fantasies of committing rape to be huge fucking alarm bells.

Um, new rant, let's see...

I had my last day of work recently, and there was this kid, late teens, going through the checkstand next to mine with his dad. I didn't hear the lead-up to this conversation, but I and everyone else nearby heard him saying jocularly and LOUDLY to his father "You're old, fat, and stupid!"

WHAT THE HELL KID. Yelling any *one* of those at either of my parents would be grounds for about three hours of yardwork. Learn some respect. It doesn't matter whether you said it as a joke, it was insulting and I was embarrassed just to be around you. I won't even get into the ageism and fatphobia because I feel fairly certain it would go whooshing over your socially inept head, but it's enough to say that you are a jerk and I hope your dad gave you whatfor as soon as he got out to the car. If you have no consideration for your father, have some consideration for the people around you who are upset by what you're saying. What a PUNK.

Ooh! Ooh! And the other day someone came up to my coworker's checkstand talking on the cellphone. Now first let me say that that in itself is a huge no-no. Do not do this! Ever! If the call can't wait, then the groceries can. Only acceptable use of cellphones is to say "I'll call you right back, I'm at the checkstand.

Anyway, so Grace starts checking the groceries right away, and says "What kind of bag for you?" even though it's a pretty big favor of us to even give you a choice once you've been so rude as to be talking on your cellphone while we're serving you. And the woman glares at her and says "Hush!" and goes back to her conversation. Excuse me while I pick my jaw up the floor. You are a bad person and you should feel bad. Fuck you, and you can kiss those tomatoes goodbye.

Okay, we didn't actually fuck up her groceries, but we didn't exactly put a lot of effort into making sure the meat wasn't leaking.

Awia

Postby Awia » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:26 am UTC

You shouldn't have bagged her shopping, then when she asks why you could have gone "Well ma'am, I did ask whether you wanted your shopping bagged, but you didn't answer, so I assumed not"
You'd probably get complained at though.
Francis wrote:Look on the bright side, if you all die I'll still be handsome

wing
the /b/slayer

Postby wing » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:37 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:

Oh, be sure to answer his questions, which will probably be "But she was all over me on the plane!" (People change their minds)
No, the proper answer is because your bags have more room in the cargo hold than you do in a seat. You will always be all over the passenger next to you, whether it is an attractive girl, small child or a fat smelly guy (I'm not sure which one is worse)
I AM A SEXY, SHOELESS GOD OF WAR!
Akula wrote:Our team has turned into this hate-fueled juggernaut of profit. It's goddamn wonderful.

Quixotess
No. Cookies.

Postby Quixotess » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:15 am UTC

Awia wrote:You shouldn't have bagged her shopping, then when she asks why you could have gone "Well ma'am, I did ask whether you wanted your shopping bagged, but you didn't answer, so I assumed not"
You'd probably get complained at though.

By this point I am pretty much physically incapable of being presented with a bunch of groceries, especially at my checkstand, and choosing not to bag them. It's a reflex. I *can* choose to do a crappy job, though. Ice cream, meet hot soup. Bread, you will make an ideal cushion for these ten apples. Heh heh.

Really though, I have run away from one or two customers when they started to get very nasty towards me personally. As a courtesy clerk I'm lucky to have that freedom; if the checkers want to escape, they have to call over a PIC, and of course that only works if the PIC isn't on break or doing more important things. One of the checkers, Michelle, saw her customer struggling to balance her take and bake pizza on the cart (you have to turn it diagonally for it to stay) and leaned over to help her, and got her hand slapped thrice for her trouble. But it was lateish and the closing PIC was on break, so she had to finish the order. I only found out about it because I was in the parking lot pulling carts and this woman came up to me and asked me to apologize on her behalf to "the woman about the pizza." O-kay.

Guy called me a fucking idiot once. That was sweet. Ran away on that one.

Different guy called Grace fat, to her face. PIC was available for that one so she got to get away and spend some time crying at the PIC desk. That was when I found out that Kelli went on a diet for two months after a customer said the same thing to her.

Another customer wouldn't let Erika touch her produce. She's like "Can you just hold the bags open? Thanks."

Rachel's ex-boyfriend came into the store a couple of times, not buying anything, basically with the purpose of letting her know that he was keeping an eye on her, and some days later I saw him at the entrance, being confronted by a PIC, Mike. Mike just kept repeating "you can't come in here," while the guy tried things like "I just want to shop" and "I have a right to be here." Andrea's ex called her at work to the extent that she had to stop answering phones for about a month.

Those are all the bad ones I can think of, but I'm just a lowly courtesy clerk and most of the bad stuff gets handed off to the PICs. Heh, suckers. Wouldn't like being them when they tell a customer they can't return an item (because we think they stole it) or handling the phone calls from people with, hm, melted ice cream or squished bread.

Awia

Postby Awia » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:42 am UTC

I really hope these are isolated incidents, otherwise people just have no clue about how to act in public. How can people even think that doing that sort of stuff is a good idea?

Quixotess
No. Cookies.

Postby Quixotess » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:46 am UTC

Your guess is as good as mine. But yeah, the vast majority of our customers know how to behave, and a sizable portion of them are downright enjoyable to bag for. Don't lose too much faith. Those are all I can remember after a year and a half of bagging.

Awia

Postby Awia » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:50 am UTC

At least that's the case, but remind me never to work with the public, I could never put up with even a small number of idiots.

|Erasmus|
Branson

Postby |Erasmus| » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:56 am UTC

Awia wrote:At least that's the case, but remind me never to work with the public, I could never put up with even a small number of idiots.

It is fairly amusing at times... I did customer service at a stadium, and had lots of fun being really condescending to drunk people.

eternal luna

Postby eternal luna » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:09 am UTC

I didn't do a very good job of confronting him. I approached him in the morning, and he instantly said "I'm okay." I was about to respond with "Yeah, I'm actually more worried about [girl]" when he looked over my shoulder and spat "There she goes, the fucking whore."
GAAAAAH.
Luna: "She is not a whore, and she actually hasn't done anything wrong. She's probably liked the other guy for a while, and thought you'd make a comfortable cushion or something. She doesn't owe you anything."
Guy: (very sarcastically) "Oh, yeah, I guess it is all my fault." *angry look*
Luna: (quailing) "You made a mistake. It will work out okay, lets just all forget about it."

F***. Why can't I stand straight when speaking to an angry guy? I think I'll go let her know what this guy's feeling/saying tomorrow.

|Erasmus|
Branson

Postby |Erasmus| » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:14 am UTC

Try and get another guy to talk to him.

They are less likely to feel intimidated if he doesn't like what gets said, and there's less likely to be any feeling of taking 'her side' or such silliness.

Quixotess
No. Cookies.

Postby Quixotess » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:27 am UTC

eternal luna wrote:F***. Why can't I stand straight when speaking to an angry guy?

:/ You know why.

You said the right things. Some people don't want to hear it, that's not on you. Good on deciding to talk to the girl, that is the most important thing you can do right now. Ditto what Erasmus said. Don't talk to this guy by yourself again, if you can help it. Another guy, or you could be the backup for the girl, though what would be really nice is him being confronted by an authority figure, an adult. Seriously, this isn't a situation you have to handle on your own.

eternal luna

Postby eternal luna » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:29 am UTC

I've only spoken to her twice in total, so I don't think it's a "her side" thing. At the moment, I really cannot think of a single boy I could ask to do this- the one who knows both of them, and all about the situation, shares a mutual abhorrence with the guy being creepy. Maybe I could ask my boy? I don't think he'd do it, though- very anti-confrontational, doesn't really know what's going on. Perhaps I'll present more of a backbone if I just make sure he's there with me.

|Erasmus|
Branson

Postby |Erasmus| » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:37 am UTC

eternal luna wrote:I've only spoken to her twice in total, so I don't think it's a "her side" thing. At the moment, I really cannot think of a single boy I could ask to do this- the one who knows both of them, and all about the situation, shares a mutual abhorrence with the guy being creepy. Maybe I could ask my boy? I don't think he'd do it, though- very anti-confrontational, doesn't really know what's going on. Perhaps I'll present more of a backbone if I just make sure he's there with me.

I mostly meant it as being another girl, he might see you as being on her side somehow...

This guy sounds like he has problems interacting with people in general, really. He's obviously not stupid given that he's at your school, so I'd go with him just having poor social skills. Does he even realise that what he's doing is creepy? I'd get one of the guys to explain to him that what he's doing is not cool, or normal.

eternal luna

Postby eternal luna » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:42 am UTC

I remember expressly stating it as "You've pretty obviously creeped her out," after which I, again, with tail between my legs, backed down, mumbling something about "Just by her reaction," when I've heard it from her lips, her friends' lips, and my friend's lips. I'll update this tomorrow, wish me luck.

felltir
has a sniper scope and a trigger finger.

Postby felltir » Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:09 pm UTC

eternal luna wrote:I remember expressly stating it as "You've pretty obviously creeped her out," after which I, again, with tail between my legs, backed down, mumbling something about "Just by her reaction," when I've heard it from her lips, her friends' lips, and my friend's lips. I'll update this tomorrow, wish me luck.

Good luck!
Spoiler:
RoadieRich wrote:He's a super flexible furry martial artist from London. She is a Rabbit breeding mad scientist from Michigan. They fight crime!
The Great Hippo wrote:I THINK THE SOLAR SYSTEM MIGHT BE AN ATOM OF OXYGEN.

Blog

he/him/his

mohini

Postby mohini » Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:19 pm UTC

I've been inrolled in public schools all over the US (11 of 'em K through 12), and I'm pretty sure it's not so much the private/public thing as the rich/poor thing. I went to three different high schools in Maryland, Arizona, and Oregon, with dramatically different average wealth levels. It was painfully obvious that the difference between a school that prepares you for college and a school that prepares you for menial jobs was one thing: funding.

So my personal rant is about Daylight Savings Time. I hate it. Alot. It doesn't really make sense anywhere, but especially in the more northern latitudes of the US, it won't get dark in the summer until near midnight. It's like, some random government jerk decided the sun obviously didnt know what it was doing of something. Let me tell you, when the sun is directly overhead, it is noon, not one p.m. It is very annoying to know that the only reason that you are standing in the dark, waiting for the morning bus to work, as opposed to the beautiful morning light, is that we are all pretending to be in the future. I honestly hate DSL more than anything elsein existance. More than Hitler, more than global banks raping thrird world countries up ... for generations to come no less! I hate DSL the very most.

felltir
has a sniper scope and a trigger finger.

Postby felltir » Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:25 pm UTC

mohini wrote:I've been inrolled in public schools all over the US (11 of 'em K through 12), and I'm pretty sure it's not so much the private/public thing as the rich/poor thing. I went to three different high schools in Maryland, Arizona, and Oregon, with dramatically different average wealth levels. It was painfully obvious that the difference between a school that prepares you for college and a school that prepares you for menial jobs was one thing: funding.

So my personal rant is about Daylight Savings Time. I hate it. Alot. It doesn't really make sense anywhere, but especially in the more northern latitudes of the US, it won't get dark in the summer until near midnight. It's like, some random government jerk decided the sun obviously didnt know what it was doing of something. Let me tell you, when the sun is directly overhead, it is noon, not one p.m. It is very annoying to know that the only reason that you are standing in the dark, waiting for the morning bus to work, as opposed to the beautiful morning light, is that we are all pretending to be in the future. I honestly hate DSL more than anything elsein existance. More than Hitler, more than global banks raping thrird world countries up ... for generations to come no less! I hate DSL the very most.

One year they decided to try without it. The number of kids being involved in accidents jumped because they had to go to school in the dark. It stays.
Spoiler:
RoadieRich wrote:He's a super flexible furry martial artist from London. She is a Rabbit breeding mad scientist from Michigan. They fight crime!
The Great Hippo wrote:I THINK THE SOLAR SYSTEM MIGHT BE AN ATOM OF OXYGEN.

Blog

he/him/his

KingLoser
Obnoxious Distraction

Postby KingLoser » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:26 pm UTC

Rant: I have zee headcold. Fuck it. ALL OF IT.

omega

Postby omega » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:42 pm UTC

Grmbl, I HATE when I'm looking for documentation on something, and there is a google hit to a wiki that sounds promising, but obviously the guy responsible for it got bored after explaining that there exists a great tool for what I want to do, and that I should emerge it.
Really: 'To do x on Gentoo, there is this great tool called foo, it makes x easy as pie, you really should prefer it over doing all by hand. To use it:
1. emerge foo. 2." and then NOTHING. Comments consist of spam, and the wiki seems a bit abandoned.
(I already knew I needed foo, which was easy to find out, but was looking for a description on how to actually do x with it that's a bit more informative than the man page.)

BLOODY HELL.
If you want to provide howtos and documentation to things people might want to do, thank you very much, I really appreciate that. Kudos to everyone who does. But if you are going to write a howto, how about actually finishing it, at least to a level that people can actually use it?
(Nothing against work-in-progress, but the site looked abandoned.)

Edit to say that when I finally figured this out, I promise I will publish a howto, and actually FINISH it. Promised.

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby PictureSarah » Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:31 pm UTC

Quixotess wrote:Stuff about customers being jackasses

Holy crap! I would lose it pretty quickly after that kind of treatment. People would be getting all the choice words I could muster, and potentially thrown food as well. I had a few customers as a waitress who I wouldn't have mourned had they been hit by a bus, but for the most part they were very nice. I have no idea what makes people think it's ok to treat other people like shit, no matter WHAT their job is. I always help my baggers bag so it doesn't take as long, and thank them and such. Slapping someone because they're touching your pizza...some people need to get a grip and undo their wedgies.
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

Quixotess
No. Cookies.

Postby Quixotess » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:30 pm UTC

Haha, no, we're not really allowed to retaliate in the slightest. I think Grace broke that rule for the guy who called me a fucking idiot; that was at her checkstand and she skipped to the next order without bagging his groceries, hee. No, we do all right. Coworkers and chain of command are all very supportive.

emceng

Postby emceng » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:01 pm UTC

KingLoser wrote:Rant: I have zee headcold. Fuck it. ALL OF IT.

Me too. How did I get a freaking cold in August? Probably was from traveling to Detroit last week. That really sucked - going to the premier event for my profession, and spending 4 of the 5 days with a bad cold. Also, the elevators made me wonder. I stayed at the Ren center in Detroit, and it's a fairly fancy hotel(not that great actually) but in the elevators they had mirrors on the sides. I saw via the mirror that the ventilation duct above the false ceiling in the elevator was absolutely caked with dust and grime. Maybe that's how I got my cold.

omega wrote:Grmbl, I HATE when I'm looking for documentation on something, and there is a google hit to a wiki that sounds promising, but obviously the guy responsible for it got bored after explaining that there exists a great tool for what I want to do, and that I should emerge it.

I feel your pain, or similar. It seems like every time I search for a technical solution, I get directed to the IEEE Xplore website, which requires paying to get access to their papers database. My company won't pay for it, and I would rather not spend my own cash on something that is clearly a business expense.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

wing
the /b/slayer

Postby wing » Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:54 am UTC

Dear Verizon Wireless:
What the fuck is your problem!?

Train your god damned drones in some fucking common sense. I purchased and pay for my cell phone because I am not always at home and need a phone number at which I can always be reached. It therefore stands to reason that my home phone number should not be considered a phone number at which I can always be reached. If I absolutely must be reached, you can... I don't know, CALL MY GOD DAMNED CELL PHONE!?

One of your callcenter tards called my home phone today and was shocked that I was not around to answer the phone. My dear old mother was deeply distressed by the aggressive tone that your employee took, insisting that as my home phone number is listed in the contact information on my account that I must always be reachable at that number (also note that you won't let me put my cell phone number in that slot, because it will be used to contact me in the event that you disconnect my service or my phone becomes damaged). Your operator then proceeded to remove that phone number from my contact information from my account because it is "useless". Because this number is apparently some sort of requirement (how do people that don't have a home phone get cell service?) this triggered another call - to my cell phone, by another operator, demanding my home phone number. This operator, referencing a note on my account refused to allow me to use my home phone number because it was "outdated".

At this point, I terminated the call and await a letter (if it really matters enough for you to spend the postage).

Sincerely,
A customer.

P.S. Oh, and if I find out that the original call was some sort of fucking sales call rather than a service issue or billing problem, I will eviscerate some poor working stiff at the Verizon Store and ruin any sales in progress at that time. I'm more than happy to take your sales calls, if you aren't total twats about them - I will also accept email. Or postal mail.
I AM A SEXY, SHOELESS GOD OF WAR!
Akula wrote:Our team has turned into this hate-fueled juggernaut of profit. It's goddamn wonderful.

Pirate.Bondage

Postby Pirate.Bondage » Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:32 pm UTC

Some asshole just spit on and raised a hand to one of my co-workers and seriously, I just want to find him and kick his ass. Really. I want to beat the shit out of him. You NEVER raise a hand to a woman, especially one you don't know. Fucking asshole, I hope you rot in prison.
Life is beautiful.
Spoiler:
Irrefutable wrote:you are so lovely

emceng wrote:Then the sausage says, "I have 1 kid, and raging genital herpes." Get the fuck away from me sausage!!!

sje46 wrote:Do... do you want to marry me?

LE4dGOLEM
is unique......wait, no!!!!

Postby LE4dGOLEM » Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:24 pm UTC

Is this a gesture of which I am unaware? Like, horribly unaware?
Image Une See Fights - crayon super-ish hero webcomic!
doogly wrote:It would just be much better if it were not shitty.

Return to “General”