Hype your ripe snipes 'n' gripes

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

User avatar
Plasma Man
Posts: 2035
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:27 am UTC
Location: Northampton, Northampton, Northampton middle England.

Re: Rant Thread - The Spies of Faith

Postby Plasma Man » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:26 am UTC

Digital TV: You're meant to be the future, so why the hell do you cut out with interference whenever a car drives past. SCREW YOU!
Please note that despite the lovely avatar Sungura gave me, I am not a medical doctor.

Possibly my proudest moment on the fora.

User avatar
e^iπ+1=0
Much, much better than Gooder
Posts: 2065
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:41 am UTC
Location: Lancaster

Re: Rant Thread - The Spies of Faith

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:23 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:You'd think that a large enough time zone jump would be enough to force-reset your sleeping cycle. So in a 12 hour timezone difference, you'd go to bed 12 hours later than usual, then wake up after 8 to 10 hours or so in the local morning. Job done.

Well, it worked than way when I went there, but somehow it just hasn't worked out coming back.
poxic wrote:You, sir, have heroic hair.
poxic wrote:I note that the hair is not slowing down. It appears to have progressed from heroic to rocking.

(Avatar by Sungura)

User avatar
Oregonaut
Posts: 6511
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:58 pm UTC
Location: Oregon

Re: Rant Thread - The Spies of Faith

Postby Oregonaut » Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:59 pm UTC

You have transgressed. Your only chance at making reparations to me are to locate the nearest grouping of objects undergoing a rapid oxidation during the completion of exothermic chemical reactions, preambulate yourself over to its area of greatest effect, and lay down inside its point of greatest kinetic activity, and remain there until your respiratory functions cease.

Thank you.
- Ochigo the Earth-Stomper

The EGE wrote:
Mumpy wrote:And to this day, librarians revile Oregonaut as the Antichrist.

False! We sacrifice our card catalogues to him in the name of Job Security!

User avatar
emceng
Posts: 3167
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 9:38 pm UTC
Location: State of Hockey
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread - The Spies of Faith

Postby emceng » Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:00 pm UTC

emceng wrote:
Sigh. I think it's going to be one of those weeks. Yesterday, the only thing I managed to accomplish was to fix the light fixture in my bathroom, which I also broke yesterday. Today I found out it does a very poor job of lighting my face for shaving.

I also somehow managed to forget to shampoo my hair while showering. I realized this on the drive to work. Tomorrow is a company trip to a baseball game. I gave up my seat because we didn't get enough tickets.


So far is has been one of those weeks. Three people hounding me on the same damned project, and getting bad mouthed behind my back as well as jumped on for another issue. It's one of those time I think about just saying "fuck it", and walking out the door.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

User avatar
Zarq
Posts: 1993
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:29 pm UTC
Location: Third Rock from Earth's Yellow Sun

Re: Rant Thread - The Spies of Faith

Postby Zarq » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:11 am UTC

You know what's more annoying than arrogant, spoiled mama-boys and daddy-girls? "Grown-ups" who rant about the responsibilities of adult life and that students don't know the value of money and ... YES, I GET IT. Adult life is tough. So let me enjoy my rather carefree (financially I mean, I'm far from carefree) student life while I still can. I'll still have plenty of time to worry about paying bills etc and starting now will not make any difference.
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit

User avatar
Jacque
a member of shro's band
Posts: 870
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:28 pm UTC
Location: Oakland, CA
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread - The Spies of Faith

Postby Jacque » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:01 am UTC

You know what grinds my gears: Students who rant about adults ranting about responsibility.
...to students who rant about adults who etc. etc.

User avatar
felltir
has a sniper scope and a trigger finger.
Posts: 2493
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:01 pm UTC
Location: Back in't home town. Never at home.
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread - The Spies of Faith

Postby felltir » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:47 am UTC

You dick.

Asking if I did anything but get laid when I was away for a week is dickish enough. But to follow it up with asking me with the best way to "get away with fucking away" means that you are GONE.
Spoiler:
RoadieRich wrote:He's a super flexible furry martial artist from London. She is a Rabbit breeding mad scientist from Michigan. They fight crime!
The Great Hippo wrote:I THINK THE SOLAR SYSTEM MIGHT BE AN ATOM OF OXYGEN.


Blog

he/him/his

User avatar
Vapour
Posts: 628
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:19 am UTC
Location: Forest and Hills Zone.

Re: Rant Thread - The Spies of Faith

Postby Vapour » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:27 am UTC

Yay, another puncture in my back tyre. 5 minutes into my 45 minute ride home.
The week before that, the saddle had broken and the week before that, the rear rod that holds the back wheel in had twisted and snapped.

Week before that, another puncture...

Bikes hate me.

User avatar
Zarq
Posts: 1993
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:29 pm UTC
Location: Third Rock from Earth's Yellow Sun

Re: Rant Thread - The Spies of Faith

Postby Zarq » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:32 am UTC

Just took a look at my class schedule for next year. First semester is good, only 2 days where I have to start at 8.30. Second semester looks like hell, all days I have to start at 8.30 + it's the most boring course + it's in blocks of 3 hours :(
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit

User avatar
meatyochre
Posts: 1524
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:09 am UTC
Location: flying with the Conchords

Re: Rant Thread - The Spies of Faith

Postby meatyochre » Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:49 pm UTC

Vapour wrote:Yay, another puncture in my back tyre. 5 minutes into my 45 minute ride home.
The week before that, the saddle had broken and the week before that, the rear rod that holds the back wheel in had twisted and snapped.

Week before that, another puncture...

Bikes hate me.

It sounds like someone is peppering your bike route with rusty nails :(
Dark567 wrote:"Hey, I created a perpetual motion device"

"yeah, but your poster sucks. F-"

Image

User avatar
Zarq
Posts: 1993
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:29 pm UTC
Location: Third Rock from Earth's Yellow Sun

Re: Rant Thread - The Spies of Faith

Postby Zarq » Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:37 pm UTC

Apparently, it's rant-day today.

So a couple of weeks ago, there's this piece of paper on the frontdoor of my dorm saying we got fined for putting out the trash too soon and everyone had to pay €14. Since we had had an incident like that, I assumed it was true, and I put the money in the jar and made put a piece of paper next to it on which everybody who had paid could write their name.
The weeks passed, and nobody else paid. So today I decided that I was gonna take my money back, only to realise that €10 of it was missing, and the piece of paper was gone :evil:
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit

User avatar
meatyochre
Posts: 1524
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:09 am UTC
Location: flying with the Conchords

Re: Rant Thread - The Spies of Faith

Postby meatyochre » Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:53 pm UTC

Zarq wrote:Apparently, it's rant-day today.

So a couple of weeks ago, there's this piece of paper on the frontdoor of my dorm saying we got fined for putting out the trash too soon and everyone had to pay €14. Since we had had an incident like that, I assumed it was true, and I put the money in the jar and made put a piece of paper next to it on which everybody who had paid could write their name.
The weeks passed, and nobody else paid. So today I decided that I was gonna take my money back, only to realise that €10 of it was missing, and the piece of paper was gone :evil:

I hate to be mean, but damn you are gullible. If your dorm actually was going to collect such a fee, it would surely be someone reputable collecting it (like your resident advisor) and they would want it documented in a computer system.
Dark567 wrote:"Hey, I created a perpetual motion device"

"yeah, but your poster sucks. F-"

Image

User avatar
Zarq
Posts: 1993
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:29 pm UTC
Location: Third Rock from Earth's Yellow Sun

Re: Rant Thread - The Spies of Faith

Postby Zarq » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:02 pm UTC

meatyochre wrote:
Zarq wrote:Apparently, it's rant-day today.

So a couple of weeks ago, there's this piece of paper on the frontdoor of my dorm saying we got fined for putting out the trash too soon and everyone had to pay €14. Since we had had an incident like that, I assumed it was true, and I put the money in the jar and made put a piece of paper next to it on which everybody who had paid could write their name.
The weeks passed, and nobody else paid. So today I decided that I was gonna take my money back, only to realise that €10 of it was missing, and the piece of paper was gone :evil:

I hate to be mean, but damn you are gullible. If your dorm actually was going to collect such a fee, it would surely be someone reputable collecting it (like your resident advisor) and they would want it documented in a computer system.



"Dorm" is a big word. It isn't anything like those huge American dorms. There's 9 persons living here, and that's the way we collected the money to buy bin bags and there hasn't been a problem with that the whole year.

But I should've clarified that. But there simply isn't an English translation for "kot" (which is what these mini-dorms are called in Belgium)
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit

User avatar
meatyochre
Posts: 1524
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:09 am UTC
Location: flying with the Conchords

Re: Rant Thread - The Spies of Faith

Postby meatyochre » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:06 pm UTC

Zarq wrote:
meatyochre wrote:
Zarq wrote:Apparently, it's rant-day today.

So a couple of weeks ago, there's this piece of paper on the frontdoor of my dorm saying we got fined for putting out the trash too soon and everyone had to pay €14. Since we had had an incident like that, I assumed it was true, and I put the money in the jar and made put a piece of paper next to it on which everybody who had paid could write their name.
The weeks passed, and nobody else paid. So today I decided that I was gonna take my money back, only to realise that €10 of it was missing, and the piece of paper was gone :evil:

I hate to be mean, but damn you are gullible. If your dorm actually was going to collect such a fee, it would surely be someone reputable collecting it (like your resident advisor) and they would want it documented in a computer system.



"Dorm" is a big word. It isn't anything like those huge American dorms. There's 9 persons living here, and that's the way we collected the money to buy bin bags and there hasn't been a problem with that the whole year.

But I should've clarified that. But there simply isn't an English translation for "kot" (which is what these mini-dorms are called in Belgium)

Oh I apologize then for assuming. Dorm is a big word :oops:
Dark567 wrote:"Hey, I created a perpetual motion device"

"yeah, but your poster sucks. F-"

Image

User avatar
Chai Kovsky
Posts: 1652
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:36 pm UTC
Location: Californication

Re: Rant Thread - The Spies of Faith

Postby Chai Kovsky » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:59 pm UTC

A dorm-suite is kinda close; I lived in one my freshman year. But you're right, there's really no translation. It works fine in Dutch or French, though...
Spoiler:
kellsbells wrote:¡This Chai is burning me!
Chai Kovsky wrote:I can kill you with my brain.

That is all.
superglucose wrote:In other words: LISTEN TO CHAI.
Delayra wrote:Yet another brilliant idea from Chai!

I <3 Pirate.Bondage!

User avatar
Oregonaut
Posts: 6511
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:58 pm UTC
Location: Oregon

Re: Rant Thread - The Spies of Faith

Postby Oregonaut » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:29 pm UTC

<rant> Shut your face you bloviating waste of carbon. I tire of your constant need for noise, and your inability to respect the quiet of the office. Yes, it is fucking quiet in here. Yes, there is a reason for that. No, nobody wants to talk to you. We are here to work, not to discuss your inability to develop a social life. It may be possible that you don't realize this, but no one wants to hang around a chain smoking, drunken, blow-hard who has all the social graces of a rabid leopard. The next time you feel like telling me how to do my job, I'll remind you of why they hired me in the first place. TO REPLACE YOU. </rant>

Now back to your normally scheduled day.
- Ochigo the Earth-Stomper

The EGE wrote:
Mumpy wrote:And to this day, librarians revile Oregonaut as the Antichrist.

False! We sacrifice our card catalogues to him in the name of Job Security!

User avatar
Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...
Posts: 8337
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:57 pm UTC
Location: Soviet Canuckistan

Re: Rant Thread - The Spies of Faith

Postby Jessica » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:49 pm UTC

I would rather hollow out my own skull with a power drill then listen to you (caller) anymore.
You are making me hate being alive. You're constantly yelling and not listening and yelling, and asking again what I said even though I said it 4 times, and if you had just listened the one time, you would be ok, but no, you're too stupid.

I want to smash your head in. So you will stop talking to me.

ARGH.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

User avatar
Oregonaut
Posts: 6511
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:58 pm UTC
Location: Oregon

Re: Rant Thread - The Spies of Faith

Postby Oregonaut » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:58 pm UTC

<Gives Jessica a Rant Five>
- Ochigo the Earth-Stomper

The EGE wrote:
Mumpy wrote:And to this day, librarians revile Oregonaut as the Antichrist.

False! We sacrifice our card catalogues to him in the name of Job Security!

User avatar
Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...
Posts: 8337
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:57 pm UTC
Location: Soviet Canuckistan

Re: Rant Thread - The Spies of Faith

Postby Jessica » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:59 pm UTC

Thanks :)
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

User avatar
meatyochre
Posts: 1524
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:09 am UTC
Location: flying with the Conchords

Re: Rant Thread - The Spies of Faith

Postby meatyochre » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:40 pm UTC

I talked to a guy who must have been a hundred and five years old holding an earhorn up to his head just to hear the phone. It wasn't working out too well for him. Or for me, having to shout so loudly that people probably heard me outside.

I swear I have gotten every single non-English-speaking caller today. I had to get a translator for a Spanish speaker, and I've taken claims from Asian people who can barely speak English but get pissed when I ask them if I can get a translator. But cmon guys, I work in claims. And since you can't understand the word "questionable," we are going to have a problem.
Dark567 wrote:"Hey, I created a perpetual motion device"

"yeah, but your poster sucks. F-"

Image

User avatar
Chicostick
Posts: 410
Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:19 am UTC
Location: The boonies of Maine

Re: Rant Thread - The Spies of Faith

Postby Chicostick » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:19 am UTC

When I say "please go around, someone spilled soda everywhere and I'm cleaning up the mess" I didn't mean "walk right the fuck on through and track shit everywhere." Cleaning up that soda isn't even my job in the first place, but when they under-schedule people I have to step in. And don't give me a snooty attitude because you have to walk a whopping five extra feet to go down the next aisle. I asked you if you wanted anything in the aisle I could get for you. You said no. So the only reason you're mad is because you're a lazy bastard.

When you asked for non-dairy milk, I assume you meant soy, almond, or rice milk. When you said none of these, I started to get confused. When you said you want MILK, but not a DAIRY milk, I got really confused. You want milk from a cow without the dairy. I ask if you mean lactose free. No, lactose is fine, just not the dairy. THAT ISN'T POSSIBLE.

No, you cannot open up a box of butter and then buy one stick from it. Why would you even think you could do that? Yes you're right ma'am, it's OUTRAGEOUS that you can't open up packages and buy things from inside them. May I interest you in 19 cheerios taken out of the box? How about half of a granola bar? Or perhaps 27 pieces of ice taken from the 5 pound bag?

Okay, wet floor signs are there because the floor is wet. I am standing there telling people to go around, because the floor is wet. So when you walk through all of these, ignore me, and almost slip and fall, then get mad at me, too freaking bad. I'll just be ready with the mop next time to clean up the mess you'll make.

Working in a busy tourist swamped grocery store can get a little irritating. Thankfully, most of the tourists are going home and I'm gone back to college in a few days.

User avatar
Magnanimous
Madmanananimous
Posts: 3491
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:11 pm UTC
Location: Land of Hipsters and Rain (LOHAR)

Re: Rant Thread - The Spies of Faith

Postby Magnanimous » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:31 am UTC

Hey, let's make an INTP with an established anxiety disorder wait tables in a crowded pub with loud music. What could go wrong.

User avatar
Torvaun
Posts: 2615
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:23 pm UTC
Location: 47°9′S, 126°43′W
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread - The Spies of Faith

Postby Torvaun » Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:24 am UTC

Magnanimous wrote:Hey, let's make an INTP with an established anxiety disorder wait tables in a crowded pub with loud music. What could go wrong.
Well, if you're like me past being an INTP, then that might end with people being set on fire. But I think that's stuff going right.
Hawknc wrote:I don't know if you've never heard of trolling, or if you're just very good at it.

User avatar
trebor
Posts: 38
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:39 am UTC

Re: Rant Thread - The Spies of Faith

Postby trebor » Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:37 am UTC

Chicostick wrote:Okay, wet floor signs are there because the floor is wet. I am standing there telling people to go around, because the floor is wet. So when you walk through all of these, ignore me, and almost slip and fall, then get mad at me, too freaking bad. I'll just be ready with the mop next time to clean up the mess you'll make.


I hate that shit. I've cleaned the floor because a tradey tracked mud all over the place (inconsiderate enough as it is) and yes I've cleaned it.....you're all ignoring the damned 'wet floor' sign still and getting the dirt on your shoes wet making the mud problem that i've cleaned worse!

User avatar
Marbas
Posts: 1169
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:01 am UTC
Location: Down down down at the bottom of the sea
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread - The Spies of Faith

Postby Marbas » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:26 am UTC

Yes, I am a boy who has long fingernails. Yes, I actually prefer it that way, having them short makes me feel weirdly naked and defenseless.

Please stop remarking on it, or I swear to god, I will find way to arrange you getting cockslapped in the face by a full grown Blue Whale.
Jahoclave wrote:Do you have any idea how much more fun the holocaust is with "Git er Done" as the catch phrase?

User avatar
Plasma Man
Posts: 2035
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:27 am UTC
Location: Northampton, Northampton, Northampton middle England.

Re: Rant Thread - The Spies of Faith

Postby Plasma Man » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:45 am UTC

That reminds me of when I used to have long hair. People would ask why I had long hair. Err, because I like it. The ones that really made me want to scream were the ones that asked how I got my hair to grow that long. By not having it cut off, you dumbasses.
Please note that despite the lovely avatar Sungura gave me, I am not a medical doctor.

Possibly my proudest moment on the fora.

User avatar
Marbas
Posts: 1169
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:01 am UTC
Location: Down down down at the bottom of the sea
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread - The Spies of Faith

Postby Marbas » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:47 am UTC

Plasma Man wrote:That reminds me of when I used to have long hair. People would ask why I had long hair. Err, because I like it. The ones that really made me want to scream were the ones that asked how I got my hair to grow that long. By not having it cut off, you dumbasses.


Yes, perhaps it doesn't make me too angry. To be honest, most of the motivation in that post was to use the phrase "cockslapped by a blue whale".
Jahoclave wrote:Do you have any idea how much more fun the holocaust is with "Git er Done" as the catch phrase?

User avatar
Plasma Man
Posts: 2035
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:27 am UTC
Location: Northampton, Northampton, Northampton middle England.

Re: Rant Thread - The Spies of Faith

Postby Plasma Man » Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:42 am UTC

I hate it when that happens.
Please note that despite the lovely avatar Sungura gave me, I am not a medical doctor.

Possibly my proudest moment on the fora.

User avatar
Kang
Posts: 722
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:30 pm UTC

Re: Rant Thread - The Spies of Faith

Postby Kang » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:51 pm UTC

Dear bikers,
I understand that you like to ride a bicycle now and then on a nice day, really. I'm all for that, in fact. But would you friggin mind using that bicycle path that is 10 feet wide, right next to the road and was built there for a lot of money on the whole length of said road just for dimwits like you? No, you have to ride your bicycle in the bloody middle of the lane of a road that has a speed limit of 100km/h! And don't you ever flip me the bird again because I honked at you, you arsehole are lucky I'm one of the few people who accelerate gradually after leaving a town to conserve fuel instead of flooring it as soon as possible, because otherwise riding along minding your business in the middle of the lane right behind a curve I would have just squashed you like a fly. Believe me, when I have the choice to hit that oncoming truck head-on or just drive through you it won't be in your favour! And don't give me that shit about 'but this is a racing bicycle!' ever again. Just because it's outrageously expensive and you dress in way too revealing plastic clothes does not mean that you can just ignore the very rules that mainly serve to protect your likes, or would it be alright if I drove on the bicycle path grinningly smashing whoever else used that if I happened to buy a Landrover capable of doing so? Thought so.

In short: if there's a bicycle path and you are on a bicycle, bloody try to combine those two facts somehow!

User avatar
The Scyphozoa
Posts: 2871
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:33 pm UTC
Location: Sector 5

Re: Rant Thread - The Spies of Faith

Postby The Scyphozoa » Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:16 pm UTC

Chicostick wrote:No, you cannot open up a box of butter and then buy one stick from it. Why would you even think you could do that? Yes you're right ma'am, it's OUTRAGEOUS that you can't open up packages and buy things from inside them. May I interest you in 19 cheerios taken out of the box? How about half of a granola bar? Or perhaps 27 pieces of ice taken from the 5 pound bag?

And the front half of the crowns of the seven kings, and the bottom three-quarters of the rods of the five wizards!
Image
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

User avatar
Ashlah
Posts: 650
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:31 pm UTC

Re: Rant Thread - The Spies of Faith

Postby Ashlah » Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:41 pm UTC

Chicostick!
Customers are dumb. I have a question for you, though, since you work in a grocery store. I once saw a man in the beer aisle, switching out glass beer bottles so that he could have a combination of beers that he wanted. I pointed it out to my boyfriend, and he was like, "Oh yeah, that's normal. You're allowed to do that." Is that true? It seems so utterly wrong to me, but am I just completely uninformed about beer purchasing?

I work in a department store, and once had a woman try to purchase a sweater with a dress that she took off of a different dress. Even after telling her that we simply were not allowed to do it, she continued to insist that she could just pay a little more for it (although she originally tore off the tags, hoping I wouldn't notice it came from another dress, so that she could essentially steal it). I couldn't believe that she thought she could haggle at a big national department store. She also basically accused us of wanting her daughter to dress like a hussy because she would be forced to have bare shoulders, as though sweaters can't be found anywhere else. Her daughter stood there silently the whole time.

User avatar
SecondTalon
SexyTalon
Posts: 26529
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 2:10 pm UTC
Location: Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Mars. HA!
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread - The Spies of Faith

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:34 pm UTC

Not Chicostick, but...

The only time I've been aware of the Bottle Switchy Trick being cool is when there were signs explicitly telling you it was okay. But even then it was because the bottles in which you could do it were all priced the same.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

User avatar
emceng
Posts: 3167
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 9:38 pm UTC
Location: State of Hockey
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread - The Spies of Faith

Postby emceng » Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:17 pm UTC

Blah. I rarely drink caffiene, but I was really tired today. I had a massive cup of pop with lunch, and refilled it to bring back to the office. It hasn't even been 90 minutes since I finished it, and I am falling asleep :( Wouldn't be so bad if I could get a decent night's sleep.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

User avatar
PhoenixEnigma
Posts: 2303
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:11 am UTC
Location: Sasquatchawan, Canada
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread - The Spies of Faith

Postby PhoenixEnigma » Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:29 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Not Chicostick, but...

The only time I've been aware of the Bottle Switchy Trick being cool is when there were signs explicitly telling you it was okay. But even then it was because the bottles in which you could do it were all priced the same.

Here, if it's possible to just pull a bottle out of the case without having to open it, it'll be labeled for individual sale, and the case is just a handy way to scan n bottles at a time. So you can switch up your bottles, but the folks taking your money might not be quite as cheerful.
"Optimism, pessimism, fuck that; we're going to make it happen. As God is my bloody witness, I'm hell-bent on making it work." -Elon Musk
Shivahn wrote:I am a motherfucking sorceror.

User avatar
<nyssa>
Posts: 357
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:13 am UTC

Re: Rant Thread - The Spies of Faith

Postby <nyssa> » Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:36 am UTC

Shit shit shit shit shit shit. I suck. How did I manage to forget your 21st? Fucking worst most self-centred person ever. Except I know that's not true and I'm just stressed and tired and busy and depressed all the time but fuck was that a terrible thing for me to do. Now I have to remember to make time to make it up to you and I promise myself I will now with proper intentions because I want to, but I'm really not sure when its going to be feasible. Arg.

User avatar
Chicostick
Posts: 410
Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:19 am UTC
Location: The boonies of Maine

Re: Rant Thread - The Spies of Faith

Postby Chicostick » Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:39 am UTC

Yeah at where I work you can't do the bottle switchy trick. They're sold by the pack and aren't in the system as individuals. Mostly because at an extremely busy store, having to scan multiple bottles like that would be a humongous pain. Plus we carry a ton of different varieties with a huge price range, so putting a variety in one pack is a no-no.

I always tell people that ask if they can buy just one beer to head down the road to the gas station/convenience store. That's where you get singular beers.

This sort of non switch thing is kind of spotty though. If a customer switches eggs in a case of a dozen, and they're the same type, than that's fine. However, as an employee I can't switch out a broken one for a non-broken one, even if there's a way to do that without leaving a case with less eggs in it. If there's just one broken or cracked egg, they all get written off. We actually send the majority of them to local food shelters, as the other 11 eggs are perfectly fine, so why waste them?

Working in a grocery store is alright most of the time. I've worked worse jobs. But sometimes people can just be a huge hassle. Funnily enough, the biggest pain in my ass is a fellow employee. He's the laziest person I've ever met in my life. He wanders around the store doing nothing, and then claims to do things he didn't do. He's in the maintenance crew, so he should be helping clean or other things. Instead he pretends to work or hides in the freezer. If I was allowed to, I would not hesitate to punch him in the face for being such a d-bag. The worst part? His mommy is the personnel manager.

Another huge pain is the "front-end" associates they keep sending us to "help". Their job is much much simpler than mine, you either stand there and bag or stand there and run a cash register. It may not be easy per se, but you don't have to KNOW a lot to do it. My job is basically knowing where everything is in the entire store and knowing what needs to be done. Sending really stupid front-end associates back to try and help me out isn't helping. Especially if they're under 18 and can't even do half of the things they need to. If you can't even throw cardboard into the baler we use for recycling, and if store policy won't give you a box cutter, you're essentially useless to me.

One in particular I honestly thought was special needs. Just his mannerisms and the questions he asked made it seem like it. Turns out he does have a speech impediment, but that's it. Somehow I feel like he was mis-diagnosed or something, as he had to ask another associate when his break was going to end because he couldn't add 15 to the time. I've also had to show him how to do the same thing multiple times. We have plenty of disabled workers, but most of them work up front, because that's a simpler job. I understand equal opportunity and everything, but giving someone who can't handle it an important job like that that's really complicated is... kind of cruel to me. There is no way that he can do it. I know he'll try really hard and he's really nice, but asking someone to do something they can't do is mean. The fact he is now scheduled to be trained in both maintenance and grocery is just idiotic to me. That's way to much for him to handle. But bringing it up is awkward, how do I tell managers "hey, this kid might be special needs and cannot handle the responsibility you're giving him." He'll soon be facing lots of angry customers and co-workers if he's put in that position.

Gah, it's not my problem anymore. I leave in three days.

User avatar
NecklaceOfShadow
Posts: 775
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 7:40 pm UTC
Location: In the alchemical aether
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread - The Spies of Faith

Postby NecklaceOfShadow » Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:04 am UTC

"We surveyed a hundred women and asked them what they would rather be than smart."

Rich was the first, attractive was the second. Thankfully, married wasn't on the list.

I really hate Family Feud/its questions sometimes...
Significantly less weird than I used to be. Still pretty weird.

οὗτός ἐστιν Ἀγαμέμνων, ἐμὸς
πόσις, νεκρὸς δὲ τῆσδε δεξιᾶς χερός
ἔργον δικαίας τέκτονος. τάδ’ ὧδ’ ἔχει.

User avatar
tzar1990
Posts: 52
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:57 am UTC

Re: Rant Thread - The Spies of Faith

Postby tzar1990 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:16 am UTC

Dear Co-Worker: Spilling lettuce everywhere on the deck we just cleaned because you were too lazy to grab a gorram plate isn't funny. Telling your boss that "Shit happens" when he tells you to deal with it isn't funny. Telling this story to everyone, including your boss's boss, isn't funny. So if you tell that gorram story on more FUCKING time, I will wait until you, inevitably, break into idiotic laughter at the end, then drag you outside, toss you in the grease trap, and close the lid on you.

Also, if you're here late at night, make sure you finish up your job before you go. I am tired of dealing with the shit you forgot when I get here in the morning.

Thank you!
The universe is full of magical things patiently waiting for our wits to grow sharper. ~Eden Phillpotts, A Shadow Passes

User avatar
Whelan
Posts: 2214
Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:16 pm UTC
Location: Londonshire.

Re: Rant Thread - The Spies of Faith

Postby Whelan » Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:25 am UTC

Got the date wrong for a £60 exam I need to do to get into the uni course I want. It was last saturday, not today.
Fuck, with that and my AS results, I don't think the universe wants me to be a doctor at all. Fuck this shit, I'm gonna work at subway or something. I want to die.
"I like to be understood whenever I open my mouth; I have a horror of blinding people with science"- Richard Dawkins
Weeks wrote:
TaintedDeity wrote:And all I get is this tame space dragon. Where's my recognition?!
A tame dragon is its own reward.

User avatar
meatyochre
Posts: 1524
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:09 am UTC
Location: flying with the Conchords

Re: Rant Thread - The Spies of Faith

Postby meatyochre » Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:50 am UTC

the good: getting a new hard disk in 2.25 hrs which ought ostensibly to fix my desktop

the bad: the xp cd I was loaned is FUCKED. it won't even read on my laptop (from which I'm posting on borrowed wifi, elsewise I'd have no internet access). I thought my desktop's dvd drive was messed up but it must just be the cd.

I was going to make a bootable usb stick using my laptop, but the cd will not read. it's all scratched up so I guess that's why. fracking shart.

at least my desktop's dvd drive is probably not broken. however this means i do not have any way to format my new hard drive after it's installed -_-
Dark567 wrote:"Hey, I created a perpetual motion device"

"yeah, but your poster sucks. F-"

Image


Return to “General”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 25 guests