Rant Thread : For all your obscenity screaming needs

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Magistrates, Prelates, Moderators General

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Brickmack » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:43 am UTC

When Star Wars the Clone Wars (the movie) first came out on DVD, I got the special edition version that includes the digital copy. I got the copy on my computer, and then a few months ago something went wrong with my computer, requiring a formatting of the hard drive and reinstalling of windows to fix. Fortunately, I had everything backed up, but when I tried to watch the movie, it said that it couldn't play because the offer expired. So I emailed Warner Bros about it (since they were the ones offering the digital copy), waited about a week, and just got a response a few days ago, basically along the lines of "Sorry you can't use the feature you paid for, but there is nothing I can do.". I don't particularly love the movie (it's ok, but not great IMO), and I can easily just stick it in the dvd drive on my computer or watch it on my tv, but I still paid a few dollars extra for the version with the digital copy, and I should be able to use it. I really hate when companies do this crap.
Brickmack

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:41 am UTC

Brickmack wrote:When Star Wars the Clone Wars (the movie) first came out on DVD, I got the special edition version that includes the digital copy. I got the copy on my computer, and then a few months ago something went wrong with my computer, requiring a formatting of the hard drive and reinstalling of windows to fix. Fortunately, I had everything backed up, but when I tried to watch the movie, it said that it couldn't play because the offer expired. So I emailed Warner Bros about it (since they were the ones offering the digital copy), waited about a week, and just got a response a few days ago, basically along the lines of "Sorry you can't use the feature you paid for, but there is nothing I can do.". I don't particularly love the movie (it's ok, but not great IMO), and I can easily just stick it in the dvd drive on my computer or watch it on my tv, but I still paid a few dollars extra for the version with the digital copy, and I should be able to use it. I really hate when companies do this crap.

It's.. almost but not quite to the point where one can communicate solely through linking xkcd comics.

I give it another year or two, and we can replace all communication with stick figures drawn by someone else for the purpose of amusing a reader.
"When Archie is too progressive for you, that's how science identifies you as an earlier species" - Luke McKinney, Cracked.com

Honestly, if you're talking BBQ and 'a guy in a parking lot' isn't part of the conversation, something's wrong."
SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby Steax » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:08 am UTC

That comic needs to be updated, because things are changing a lot. iTunes music is DRM-free now, but Steam and iTunes' apps aren't. Which is so frustrating.
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.
Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby farnsworth » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:41 am UTC

Spoilered for social incompetency.
Spoiler:
So, somebody said something that I thought was offensive, then I bitched at them about it. And then I realized that I had a brain-fart and screwed up the English language, and no offense was intended. Being a native speaker, this is a really dumb mistake. I apologized and tried to explain, but only got back, "quit being so sensitive!" The last time I had a misunderstanding of this scale was 5 years ago. This is a friend I could not afford to lose, and she is only this terse when she's very mad. OH GOD WHY

EDIT: She understood and forgave me after I explained the brain-fart situation. Problem solved. I have a feeling I'll look back at this post in a month and laugh my ass off.
Last edited by farnsworth on Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:26 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
farnsworth

Postby M.C. » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:17 am UTC

Stupid Cold Case not being released on DVD.... grumble...
Nobody likes Milhouse!
M.C.

Postby bigglesworth » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:20 am UTC

Steax wrote:Steam and iTunes' apps aren't.
Steam at least offers you a 'use on any computer' service to go with their DRM.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.
bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby Steax » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:57 am UTC

I think games with DRM are much worse than non-game apps with DRM. Apps eventually die for a reason and become obsolete, but games are always great for the nostalgia value. I probably won't miss not being able to run To-Do App #6462436, but I'll miss Angry Birds when some day the newest and greatest devices stop supporting it.
Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Zarq » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:02 pm UTC

And that's why I will not buy digital stuff for as long as I can.
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit
Zarq

Postby Jacque » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:13 pm UTC

Zarq wrote:And that's why I will not buy digital stuff for as long as I can.

Not that you're actually buying it anyway, more or less just renting.
Jacque
a member of shro's band

Postby Zarq » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:15 pm UTC

True. So I don't have to make up a new rule, I can just file it under my "I don't rent stuff*" rule.

*other than housing, of course.
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit
Zarq

Postby Jacque » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:27 pm UTC

And beer.
Jacque
a member of shro's band

Postby Ashlah » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:34 pm UTC

PhoenixEnigma wrote:
Hope you feel better soon :)

Thank you, advice appreciated :) Still fighting the cold, but I actually think the stomach issues were because I might have "over-dosed" on vitamin C yesterday... Whoops :oops: Didn't know that was possible, but I've learned an important lesson, I suppose.
Ashlah

Postby The Scyphozoa » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:07 pm UTC

Steax wrote:I think games with DRM are much worse than non-game apps with DRM. Apps eventually die for a reason and become obsolete, but games are always great for the nostalgia value. I probably won't miss not being able to run To-Do App #6462436, but I'll miss Angry Birds when some day the newest and greatest devices stop supporting it.

What, no AwesomeNuts reference?
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean
The Scyphozoa

Postby Felstaff » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:24 pm UTC

The Scyphozoa wrote:AwesomeNuts

The dickens is this? Sounds like the fuel that keeps AngrySquirrel going.
Habent sua fata libelli et balli
Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Xeio » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:31 pm UTC

Steax wrote:I think games with DRM are much worse than non-game apps with DRM. Apps eventually die for a reason and become obsolete, but games are always great for the nostalgia value. I probably won't miss not being able to run To-Do App #6462436, but I'll miss Angry Birds when some day the newest and greatest devices stop supporting it.
Happens to PC games all the time regardless of DRM. It's just combinations of DOSBox and others that you can even play things that are particularly old with any semblance of stability.
Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Shivahn » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:40 pm UTC

The right way to do DRM is to eventually disable it.

I think it was Neverwinter Nights where one of the last patches they released also made it stop checking for the CD in the drive, which seems to me like a reasonable way to protect your IP without being a douche about it.
Shivahn

Postby SlyReaper » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:11 pm UTC

Minor irritation of today:
The bin men left my recycling box in the middle of my drive. Before I was able to park, I had to get out, move the box, get back in the car, and park. That isn't the first time they've done that either. You'd think they'd have the common sense to put it to the side of the drive (for example, in the place where I originally left it), but I guess common sense isn't a prerequisite for employment as a bin man.

Also, the pub I had lunch at had run out of ale. I had to make do with a Guinness. Bah. :evil:
What would Baron Harkonnen do?
SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby roband » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:13 pm UTC

Make do?! I could go for a Guinness about now, actually.
roband
Psychedelic Shrub

Postby st1980 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:21 pm UTC

Not quite the same as a real ale though
st1980

Postby SlyReaper » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:33 pm UTC

Minor irritation the second: I wound up my clock this morning and set it to the correct time. I came back this evening and it's 6 minutes fast. What the actual fuck?
SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby ShootTheChicken » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:35 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:I wound up my clock

There's your problem.
SecondTalon wrote:the Hot Freshness of Wicked Classic.
ShootTheChicken
Best. Cheerleader. Ever.

Postby Garm » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:37 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:Minor irritation the second: I wound up my clock this morning and set it to the correct time. I came back this evening and it's 6 minutes fast. What the actual fuck?

Maybe you should stop speeding.
Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
- JFK
Garm

Postby The Scyphozoa » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:51 pm UTC

Felstaff wrote:

When Steax makes up the name of a fake software he usually brands it "AwesomeNuts".
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean
The Scyphozoa

Postby SlyReaper » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:55 pm UTC

Garm wrote:
SlyReaper wrote:Minor irritation the second: I wound up my clock this morning and set it to the correct time. I came back this evening and it's 6 minutes fast. What the actual fuck?

Maybe you should stop speeding.

That's what I get for driving at 15% light speed all day (yes, I actually worked out the maths).
SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby Steax » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:23 am UTC

The Scyphozoa wrote:
Felstaff wrote:

When Steax makes up the name of a fake software he usually brands it "AwesomeNuts".

AwesomeNuts To-Do is way too Nutty for DRM. You see, squirrels don't respect human rights.

New rant: iMessage is cool and all, and today with iMessage for OS X it's become a lot cooler since I can seamlessly travel between them, but now I have three things that go 'ding' whenever someone messages me. There must be a fix.
Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Plasma Man » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:20 am UTC

Switch off the speakers.
Please note that despite the lovely avatar Sungura gave me, I am not a medical doctor.

Possibly my proudest moment on the fora.
Plasma Man

Location: Northampton, Northampton, Northampton middle England.

Postby Jave D » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:30 pm UTC

Humans are a pestilence.
I work all night, I work all day, to pay the bills I have to pay
Ain't it sad?
And still there never seems to be a single penny left for me
That's too bad.
Jave D
chavey-dee

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:16 pm UTC

Grr, people are forgetful. I wasn't going to go on this fancy dress bar crawl because of a lack of fancy dress. People said they'd lend me things, so now I'm at it. One of the people was supposed to give me the stuff this morning, forgot then, and so said they'd give it to me at the start of the bar crawl, specifically saying they'd be on time. It started about 45 minutes ago and they're not here. The other person just forgot, period. Thanks, guys.
poxic wrote:You, sir, have heroic hair.

(Avatar by Sungura)
e^iπ+1=0
Much, much better than Gooder

Postby gorcee » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:29 pm UTC

I once tried to go to a fancy dress event naked. I tried explaining, "no, see, you fancy that I'm dressed!"

It didn't work.
gorcee

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:47 pm UTC

Some of the stuff showed up about three hours late. Still had / am having fun, so *shrugs*.
poxic wrote:You, sir, have heroic hair.

(Avatar by Sungura)
e^iπ+1=0
Much, much better than Gooder

Postby Jave D » Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:29 am UTC

Yeah, me not thinking religion is an evil delusion and that God is either non-existent or evil means I'm a "maniac religious convert." Another victory for free thought, asshole. Oh and just because you don't like me doesn't mean I'm the "worst kind of person." I mean there are actual murderers and rapists and violent criminals around and you think because I disagree with you I'm worse? Way to see things in a clear light.
I work all night, I work all day, to pay the bills I have to pay
Ain't it sad?
And still there never seems to be a single penny left for me
That's too bad.
Jave D
chavey-dee

Postby RollingHead » Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:28 am UTC

I just spent 25 minutes trying to make sense of the result of a problem in my notes from three months ago before realising I hadn't read the first line of text containing part of the data. *headdesk*
My exam is in 30.5 hours.
RollingHead

Postby Kithplana » Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:30 am UTC

Dear interwebs and the people who host sites on it:

1. Java != Javascript. Since you probably just pasted that JS into your site anyway, let me explain the funny != bit: NOT EQUAL TO. All you should care about is that Java is an add-on to your browser and it was probably why you got that last virus. You will probably never write a single line of Java code. Javascript is built into your browser and is the funny stuff you pasted into your site to make... well, I don't know WHAT the heck it was you wanted to make work with JS, because...

2. You require Javascript for your site to work. While this is not unforgivable in and of itself, depending on your content and target userbase, your site is mostly plain text with parchment or stone backgrounds and it looks like it came straight out of 1996. (Don't get me wrong, sites that look like they came straight out of 1996 often have really interesting information in them. I know yours does. I'm not here to judge your design.) What I am trying to say is that your site really doesn't need Javascript to function properly. And while, if you are still laboring under the delusion that it does, I (a devout NoScript user) don't particularly mind a notice that the site displays best with JS enabled, or even that I "must have Javascript to use this site", as long as I don't actually have to have Javascript to be able to navigate the site in a reasonable manner... one thing is completely unforgivable:

3. You put a meta refresh in (with a timeout of zero) that I can't be bothered to block. With that meta refresh you redirect me to a page (straight out of 1986) simply stating that
JavaScript is turned off in your web browser. It is now required in order to access the data files on this site. Turn Java on and then refresh the page. Thanks.

No. Just no. I might have whiled away a couple of pleasant hours on your site, but not after this gross disrespect of people who choose to browse without obnoxious, flashing, potentially hazardous scripts turned on. Could I turn on JS for your site? Certainly. Will I? No. You have no reason to use JS at all, much less require it. No.

HTH. HAND.
Kithplana

Postby Steax » Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:28 am UTC

Plasma Man wrote:Switch off the speakers.

But it still fills up the notification screen. =/

Kithplana wrote:Dear interwebs and the people who host sites on it:

1. Java != Javascript. Since you probably just pasted that JS into your site anyway, let me explain the funny != bit: NOT EQUAL TO. All you should care about is that Java is an add-on to your browser and it was probably why you got that last virus. You will probably never write a single line of Java code. Javascript is built into your browser and is the funny stuff you pasted into your site to make... well, I don't know WHAT the heck it was you wanted to make work with JS, because...

2. You require Javascript for your site to work. While this is not unforgivable in and of itself, depending on your content and target userbase, your site is mostly plain text with parchment or stone backgrounds and it looks like it came straight out of 1996. (Don't get me wrong, sites that look like they came straight out of 1996 often have really interesting information in them. I know yours does. I'm not here to judge your design.) What I am trying to say is that your site really doesn't need Javascript to function properly. And while, if you are still laboring under the delusion that it does, I (a devout NoScript user) don't particularly mind a notice that the site displays best with JS enabled, or even that I "must have Javascript to use this site", as long as I don't actually have to have Javascript to be able to navigate the site in a reasonable manner... one thing is completely unforgivable:

3. You put a meta refresh in (with a timeout of zero) that I can't be bothered to block. With that meta refresh you redirect me to a page (straight out of 1986) simply stating that
JavaScript is turned off in your web browser. It is now required in order to access the data files on this site. Turn Java on and then refresh the page. Thanks.

No. Just no. I might have whiled away a couple of pleasant hours on your site, but not after this gross disrespect of people who choose to browse without obnoxious, flashing, potentially hazardous scripts turned on. Could I turn on JS for your site? Certainly. Will I? No. You have no reason to use JS at all, much less require it. No.

HTH. HAND.

To be fair, a lot of developers use progressive enhancement that pretty much breaks the site when javascript is turned off. I know mine does. It's still presents the page in a respectable format, and the content is at least accessible, but it breaks a lot of the hard work put into giving the page the visual/experience impact it has. (To be specific, my site uses the jQuery Masonry plugin.)

But yeah, ignorant people like that suck. I can't even visit my carrier's website through my iphone; it automatically redirects to an iphone subdomain that has zero information, and only a set of sponsored apps.
Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby OBrien » Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:04 pm UTC

Either fuck random chance or fuck whatever mystical force that makes tarot cards work because I do NOT need to be reminded of that part of myself right now. I would have much preferred some vaguely optimistic yet obviously bullshit crap to be spouted at me.

Also, fuck you Eastwood, you amoral sack of shit.
Spelling and grammar can go screw themselves.
OBrien

Postby Kithplana » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:22 pm UTC

Steax wrote:To be fair, a lot of developers use progressive enhancement that pretty much breaks the site when javascript is turned off. I know mine does. It's still presents the page in a respectable format, and the content is at least accessible, but it breaks a lot of the hard work put into giving the page the visual/experience impact it has. (To be specific, my site uses the jQuery Masonry plugin.)

Yeah, for modern sites I understand, but all bets are off when you've got two framesets in the page and a third (or a duplicate? I was afraid to look too deeply lest I lose my soul) defined, via document.write, in <head>.

Eh, maybe I should be more forgiving. I did some pretty egregious stuff back in the day when I didn't know any better. Those sites have just... long since ceased to exist in that form.

I'm pretty sure a forced redirect would always have been illogical to me, though.
Kithplana

Postby Amie » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:47 am UTC

OBrien wrote:Either fuck random chance or fuck whatever mystical force that makes tarot cards work

I... I just came in here to rant about horoscopes and whatever made them work and I didn't expect to find this and now I'm just... holy shit.

Fuck horoscopes and tarot cards. Seriously, fuck them. Also, fuck people who thought it was necessary to make one for me without my permission and fuck everyone who told me what kind of life I'd never have that lead me into subconsciously believing them.
Summer is miles and miles away, and no one would ask me to stay.
And I, should contemplate this change... to ease the pain.
And I, should step out of the rain... turn away.
Amie

Postby Menacing Spike » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:33 am UTC

Everytime the horoscope talks about my romantic opportunities or relations with my partner, I snicker.

Also:

Today you will meet a three-ton rhinoceros called Desmond.
Menacing Spike

Postby Amie » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:34 am UTC

MS, it's different when it's fed into your brain right from when you're 5 years old.
Summer is miles and miles away, and no one would ask me to stay.
And I, should contemplate this change... to ease the pain.
And I, should step out of the rain... turn away.
Amie

Postby Menacing Spike » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:41 am UTC

There's also the way the brain is structured (overenthusiastic pattern seeking, reason seeking, need for guidance/dependance...), making it easier for those absurd beliefs to prey on it.
Menacing Spike

PreviousNext

Return to General