Hype your ripe snipes 'n' gripes

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Menacing Spike

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Menacing Spike » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:34 pm UTC

Shro wrote:You mean a group of people taking a test designed by the same group of people are going to perform better than other groups? No way!

See? That's moderately reasonable criticism. That's how you do it (that said, I didn't read the source material and don't know how adequate your criticism is).

Not "fuck you rape apologist shitlord pedophile I hope someone cuts your balls".

Noc
Put on her robe and wizard hat ALL NIGHT LONG

Postby Noc » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:55 pm UTC

Menacing Spike wrote:Not "fuck you rape apologist shitlord pedophile I hope someone cuts your balls".

Now I'm curious, was this part of the university's statement? "Aarhus University has accused psychologist Helmuth Nyborg of scientific misconduct, and stated that it hopes someone cuts his shitlord pedophile balls."
Have you given up?

doogly
Dr. The Juggernaut of Touching Himself

Postby doogly » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:10 pm UTC

Menacing Spike wrote:Not "fuck you rape apologist shitlord pedophile I hope someone cuts your balls".

Right, because Schro's point was completely novel. Nobody has ever raised that issue before. The reason people continue act like shitholes is because they haven't heard kind Schro's gentle teachings. It is not because this has been pointed out loudly for longer than we have been alive and the rape apologist shitholes have their fingers in their ears.
LE4dGOLEM: What's a Doug?
Noc: A larval Doogly. They grow the tail and stinger upon reaching adulthood.

Keep waggling your butt brows Brothers.
Or; Is that your eye butthairs?

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:46 pm UTC

I'm confused, when did rape apologist shitholes enter into this story? Is someone using a supposed IQ difference to justify rape?
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

doogly

Postby doogly » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:11 pm UTC

I think Menacing Spike assumed that all possible complaints that could be made about a kyriarchal system are the same, and decided to get a little flowery with the language.

Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.

Postby Yakk » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:14 pm UTC

Women in a matriarchal society? Dunno, but you can bet your ass that men wouldn't be as good at it.

(apparently question I was responding to was deleted)
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

Last edited by JHVH on Fri Oct 23, 4004 BCE 6:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:19 pm UTC

doogly wrote:I think Menacing Spike assumed that all possible complaints that could be made about a kyriarchal system are the same, and decided to get a little flowery with the language.

exhibit 1: http://violetblue.tumblr.com/post/44107 ... s-talk?q=3

exhibit 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iARHCxAMAO0#t=165s

etc

Bullying people into silence is clearly the way to make your voice heard on social issues.

doogly

Postby doogly » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:33 pm UTC

Thank you for providing further evidence for the observation I made about you.

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:36 pm UTC

doogly wrote:Thank you for providing further evidence for the observation I made about you.

It was so obviously off the mark I didn't respond to it.

doogly

Postby doogly » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:38 pm UTC

No, you did. I said, "Menacing Spike brought up pedophile rape accusations while discussing something that has nothign to do with it because all social justice type complaints sound alike to him."

Menacing Spike decides, "Well, whatever, here more examples of social justice complainy people I don't like. Just look at them all!"

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:39 pm UTC

doogly wrote:"because all social justice type complaints sound alike to him."

When did I say that?

ameretrifle
Vera

Postby ameretrifle » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:40 pm UTC

Yeah, ain't two sides to that story or anything... Nope, just the one... Totally undisputed... Plus, "bullying" in some cases is completely and obviously connected to your hyperbolic claim that extreme bullying was provoked in this particular case... I mean, it's happened before, so OBVIOUSLY it's happening in this case, and you don't even need to provide citations for that, right? If it's happened even once, anywhere in the world, it's obviously happening to this guy, so you don't even need to pull up even a single one of the obviously copious examples of it. Nope, let's talk about other Bad Things Feminists Have Done 'cause it's all the same anyway.

Cite your shit intelligently. You're being lazy as hell. Or, what doogly just said.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:55 pm UTC

Menacing Spike wrote:
doogly wrote:"because all social justice type complaints sound alike to him."

When did I say that?

Menacing Spike wrote:See? That's moderately reasonable criticism. That's how you do it (that said, I didn't read the source material and don't know how adequate your criticism is).

Not "fuck you rape apologist shitlord pedophile I hope someone cuts your balls".

Right there.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

emceng

Postby emceng » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:46 pm UTC

Hello, is this thing on?
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

dii

Postby dii » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:01 pm UTC

emceng wrote:Hello, is this thing on?

On what?

Jave D
chavey-dee

Postby Jave D » Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:58 am UTC

OH GOOD. LOUD TV. AGAIN. BECAUSE I HAVEN'T HAD ENOUGH OF THAT IN MY LIFE.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:38 am UTC

Jave D wrote:OH GOOD. LOUD TV. AGAIN. BECAUSE I HAVEN'T HAD ENOUGH OF THAT IN MY LIFE.

Augh, can I ever sympathize on this. I hate not being able to afford to live by myself, but if I absolutely have to live with other people, I have one goddamn request of them: keep your fucking shit to yourself, including your noise, and I'll do the same, so we can all live in close quarters and not bother each other. Right now I've got a guy in my house (as in the house I'm co-leasing with several people including him) who gets home from work in the middle of the afternoon long before I normally would and goes to bed fairly late at night still, and EVERY GODDAMN WAKING MOMENT he is sitting in the living room watching action movies on his big-screen TV with a subwoofer connected, and heavy bass like that just travels straight through our walls, so "turning it down" so the treble is inaudible from my room doesn't help when I still feel a THUMP every time someone shoots something or pounds their fist on a desk or wrecks their car or spaceship in the movie.

I'd be, at most, mildly annoyed with him camping his ass in front of the TV in the living room every waking hour if at least I could go into my room on the other side of the house and close my door and have peace and quiet. When he first moved in I asked him if he would please turn down his bass, on several occasions, and he always responded by turning down the overall volume. Eventually I clarified that only the bass was a problem, and just turning it down a little didn't solve that problem, so could he please just turn the subwoofer OFF and then feel free to listen to the rest of it at a (louder) reasonable volume all he wants. He insisted there was no technical way to do that. So when he was gone, I checked, and there was in fact an easy a way to turn the bass off (granted it required getting off your ass and wasn't a button on the remote). When called on that, he responded by buying a new subwoofer that CAN'T be independently turned off.

I don't even know what to say about that kind of passive-aggressive, actively anti-cooperative bullshit. When we had a house meeting about this, he basically said that his entertainment value (it's not as much fun watching explosions without the thump) trumped my sanity (quiet at home is necessary for me to manage my chronic anxiety and depression) and turning off the bass was "not gonna happen", and nobody else, even people bothered by it themselves, felt like standing up to defend me, so by default he wins somehow, despite me having seniority in this house by more than seven goddamn years, meaning he should adapt to the way the house was before he arrived and not vice versa.

Now I spend all night every night (like right now) at my office at work after everyone's gone home until it's time for bed, because even though that's on a busy street with its own noise, and not my own space so I can't really relax in it, at least I'm not actively angry and wanting to go rip the cord out of his goddamn sound system every time a THUMP disrupts my calm. But now with no calm space to relax in, I'm sinking back into depression again, plus since I'm never home until bedtime I'm not eating well or bathing as often as I should, nevermind not doing any of the housekeeping that was a normal part of my meditation routine (since I'm never at the house to keep it); and life is basically turning into a living hell for the sake of this fuckhead's goddamn entertainment.

Inconsiderate loud motherfuckers like him need to slowly burn to death.

yurell

Postby yurell » Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:02 am UTC

*Gives hugs of sympathy. Unless you don't do hugs, then gives Anzac Biscuits of sympathy*

That is totally shit how you're being treated — even if it were just a pet peeve it would be bad enough, but you have more than sufficient reason for it to be an actual problem. I hope you can explain it to other house mates so that you can get a voting bloc behind you, because no one should have to put up with that shit — losing your own space is horrible.
cemper93 wrote:Dude, I just presented an elaborate multiple fraction in Comic Sans. Who are you to question me?

Pronouns: Feminine pronouns please!

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:07 am UTC

I like hugs, though spare the coconut and I'll take the biscuits too :) (either that kind or this kind)

And thanks for the sympathy. One of the most crazymaking things about it is how nobody else (who lives here) really seems to care, not enough to speak up about it anyway -- they all think the new guy is cool and hang out and watch his movies and party with him -- which makes me worry about coming off as a jerk any time I talk about it. So sympathy makes me feel like I'm not (as) crazy. So thanks again. :)

Zarq

Postby Zarq » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:35 am UTC

Do your housemates know the thing about the anxiety and the depression?
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:14 pm UTC

Zarq wrote:Do your housemates know the thing about the anxiety and the depression?

Yep. One of them has even been superficially very sympathetic, expressing how horrible it must be for me, and that something should be done about it. He then proceeds to do nothing to help, and urges me to relax and just not be so upset about it. Ugh...

yurell

Postby yurell » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:11 pm UTC

Oh, you broke your arm did you? Well, just stop hurting!
cemper93 wrote:Dude, I just presented an elaborate multiple fraction in Comic Sans. Who are you to question me?

Radical_Initiator
Just Cool Enough for School

Postby Radical_Initiator » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:36 am UTC

I have kind of the opposite problem - anxiety and depression make it hard for me to shut down at night - can't sleep with my mind racing and roving over all the things I didn't do or forgot to do and all the imagined consequences therein ... pretty much instant insomnia. The one coping mechanism I've been able to use successfully is talk radio. It's just interesting enough that I can focus my mind on it while I try to sleep, but not interesting enough to keep me up (the BBC World Service is especially good for this).

I live in an apartment (by myself, currently, although I'm supposed to have a roommate move in soon), but the walls and ceilings and floors aren't particularly good at keeping out noise (the people above me seem to have regular contests to see who can drop the heaviest object and make the most resonant THUD), so I do worry that I'm keeping the radio on too loud. Problem is, if it's too loud, they can hear it, but if it's too quiet, I can't, and that would make it useless. Still feel like I'm having trouble finding the right spot.
I looked out across the river today …

Zarq

Postby Zarq » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:45 am UTC

Radical_Initiator wrote:I have kind of the opposite problem - anxiety and depression make it hard for me to shut down at night - can't sleep with my mind racing and roving over all the things I didn't do or forgot to do and all the imagined consequences therein ... pretty much instant insomnia. The one coping mechanism I've been able to use successfully is talk radio. It's just interesting enough that I can focus my mind on it while I try to sleep, but not interesting enough to keep me up (the BBC World Service is especially good for this).

I live in an apartment (by myself, currently, although I'm supposed to have a roommate move in soon), but the walls and ceilings and floors aren't particularly good at keeping out noise (the people above me seem to have regular contests to see who can drop the heaviest object and make the most resonant THUD), so I do worry that I'm keeping the radio on too loud. Problem is, if it's too loud, they can hear it, but if it's too quiet, I can't, and that would make it useless. Still feel like I'm having trouble finding the right spot.

I put on Arrested Development on my laptop for that reason. I use earbuds*.

*for everything actually. Even in the middle of the day. I'm pretty sure my neighbours don't even know anyone lives here.
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit

Radical_Initiator
Just Cool Enough for School

Postby Radical_Initiator » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:48 am UTC

I did that for a short time when I was living in a dorm in college, but I had to use regular headphones, which don't work so well. I have yet, to this day, to find a pair of earbuds that don't give me a headache. My ears don't seem to want to keep them in, and for some reason, they start to hurt my jaw after a while. Maybe it's just a coincidence.
I looked out across the river today …

darknut

Postby darknut » Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:59 am UTC

this is probably the most obvious advice, and may be met with "yeah, no shit" but
where is your radio, can it be moved closer to your bed without having to rearrange your whole room
the way my bed and surrounding furniture is arranged, my clockradio is about half a foot from my head so it doesnt need to be loud at all
poxic wrote: Take a source of light and cook it up until it lases -- now you have a laser.

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:20 pm UTC

Here's a tip if you're going to a dog park with other dogs: keep an eye on your fucking dog, especially if it's a goddam wolf hybrid. Why? Because if your dog attacks my dog and you don't do anything, I'm going to kick your dog in the face or ribs to get it off my dog. And if that doesn't work I'm going to fucking shoot it. Seriously, if your dog's teeth come near my dog's neck again while my dog is on its back, your dog is going to be in pain. Not because I'm mad at your dog, because that will be the only way to get your dog off of my mine without getting bit myself. I'll feel bad for the dog, but not for you, because you're a fucking asshole who shouldn't have a goldfish, let alone a fucking wolf hybrid.
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:13 pm UTC

Something like that happened with our family cat (who is unusually friendly for a cat). We left it with our grandparents (they own a small castle with a very large garden) for summer holidays. There a feral cat tried to kill it (it already killed one of its sisters/concubines). My grandparents chased it away with kicks. Then, they borrowed a hunting rifle from a guest, and just shot the feral cat.

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:32 pm UTC

We just left. I didn't want it to escalate to a situation where I would have had to kick or shoot the other dog to get it to stop attacking my dog, and I also didn't want to get into it with a good ol' boy about how he's a fucking idiot. I feel like I should clarify something about "shooting the dog" too. That would obviously not be first reaction. It would be extreme last resort, just like defense against people. But the point stands, control your fucking dog, because if he tries to kill my dog, there's a non-zero chance it will end up dead or injured.
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

Garm

Postby Garm » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:59 pm UTC

I'm in an important training class and am falling asleep. :x

On the bright side, they're not talking about things that really apply to me... still...
Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
- JFK

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:39 am UTC

Radical_Initiator wrote:I have kind of the opposite problem - anxiety and depression make it hard for me to shut down at night

I'm not sure that's the opposite problem, as that's a big part of the problem I was complaining about too. Though my trouble sleeping isn't so much my mind thrashing about all the things that worry me like yours is, but I think that's because I've developed the habit of filling my mind with my own "noise" to drown that out -- I just have a general dissatisfied mental restlessness and the feeling that I need to find something to think about in order to sleep. So I generally need to focus on something (read, write, make something, clean something, etc) for a good long while, and then pull out of that when I'm done and revel in the silence (in my mind and the world around me), before I can comfortably sleep. Other people being around me and doing stuff keeps me from getting into that 'zone', and leaves me trying to sleep with my brain scattering around trying to find some kind of focus to latch on to.

gingermrkettle

Postby gingermrkettle » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:52 pm UTC

And in a reprise of a previous pant:

Things that are useful in an outsourced recruitment company:
Not showing availability for jobs if you aren't actually looking to place someone with the company (who is paying you money) within a reasonable timeframe.
Keeping people informed of the specifics if there are any delays in the process.
If interviews etc. have to be postponed, rescheduling them as soon as possible within a period of (a small number of) weeks rather than (an increasing number of) months, while keeping people informed of proposed timetables.
Communicating with them on a personal basis rather than using meaningless stock template emails.
Understanding that people who apply actually want to start the job so don't want to hang around for months on end waiting for you to do something.
Actually understanding the requirements of the company who are paying you money (did I mention they are paying you money) rather than having a tick box approach to stuff you don't understand.
Having individual named and contactable people dealing with applications rather than hiding behind a single corporate email account that hardly gets answered.

Your score: 0%.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:41 pm UTC

Having a single group email address can work out really well if the team is good - it means emails can always be answered pretty much instantly by whoever is free when they come in, and can be more coordinated and feel more professional (like everyone is on the same page) than each individual doing one-on-one contact in their own way. If it's left unanswered, though, it's just really frustrating and unprofessional for anyone that needs to communicate with the group.

Aightynine

Postby Aightynine » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:26 am UTC

Spoiler:
I get so frustrated when someone I know is going through hard times and I want to offer my support, but they've more or less said they don't want any sympathy or whatever, so I don't say anything. Not saying anything makes me feel like a jerk, not to mention helpless, and then I get annoyed at myself for making it about me (by thinking about how I feel). Then I get annoyed because getting annoyed with myself for making it about me is STILL making it about me, and at that point it's sort of like an infinite loop of being annoyed at myself and feeling guilty. Why can't I just be a good friend without thinking about myself, damn it? >.>
This is my Tumblr, for the curious and/or bored. It mostly consists of random things/ideas I find interesting* and pictures of my friend Catherine.

*This might include but is not limited to: science, my research experiences, gender, feminism.

bluebambue
An der schönen blauen Donau

Postby bluebambue » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:39 am UTC

Aightynine wrote:
Spoiler:
I get so frustrated when someone I know is going through hard times and I want to offer my support, but they've more or less said they don't want any sympathy or whatever, so I don't say anything. Not saying anything makes me feel like a jerk, not to mention helpless, and then I get annoyed at myself for making it about me (by thinking about how I feel). Then I get annoyed because getting annoyed with myself for making it about me is STILL making it about me, and at that point it's sort of like an infinite loop of being annoyed at myself and feeling guilty. Why can't I just be a good friend without thinking about myself, damn it? >.>

Unsolicited advice:
Spoiler:
It doesn't matter if something makes you feel X, as long as you don't expect your friend to fix fix that feeling for you. So you can accept that you feel X and support your friend in the way they want to be supported at the same time. I realize this is harder than it sounds.

Aightynine

Postby Aightynine » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:42 am UTC

bluebambue wrote:
Aightynine wrote:
Spoiler:

Unsolicited advice:
Spoiler:
It doesn't matter if something makes you feel X, as long as you don't expect your friend to fix fix that feeling for you. So you can accept that you feel X and support your friend in the way they want to be supported at the same time. I realize this is harder than it sounds.

The advice is appreciated, thank you. :)
This is my Tumblr, for the curious and/or bored. It mostly consists of random things/ideas I find interesting* and pictures of my friend Catherine.

*This might include but is not limited to: science, my research experiences, gender, feminism.

ahammel
My Little Cabbage

Postby ahammel » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:24 pm UTC

Be a scientist, they said. Expand the frontiers of human knowledge they said.

Expand the frontiers of number of hours spent tracking down citations is more like it.
He/Him/His/Alex
God damn these electric sex pants!

yurell

Postby yurell » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:41 pm UTC

"I know this is true, now I just need to find someone who says so in print ..."

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:11 pm UTC

yurell wrote:"I know this is true, now I just need to find someone who says so in print ..."

You could probably find a student paper or something. They are usually spectacular shit though. I remember a "litterature review" that just copy-pasted random abstracts. Others are along the lines of "we used this one matlab function".

ahammel
My Little Cabbage

Postby ahammel » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:28 pm UTC

Menacing Spike wrote:
yurell wrote:"I know this is true, now I just need to find someone who says so in print ..."

You could probably find a student paper or something. They are usually spectacular shit though. I remember a "litterature review" that just copy-pasted random abstracts. Others are along the lines of "we used this one matlab function".
Thank you for the advice, but I think I will avoid citing such articles, as I would prefer it if my committee did not set my thesis on fire and throw it at me.
He/Him/His/Alex
God damn these electric sex pants!

Return to “General”