Hype your ripe snipes 'n' gripes

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

darknut

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby darknut » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:50 am UTC

several days ago, someone asks why dont i buy something. i respond; because i know i wont use it, i had one a while ago and wasnt using, nothing has changed since then so theres no reason to believe i'd need one know. a few days ago; here i got you this as a gift. what the shit! do you just not listen to me or do you think you know better than me what i need. GAWD!

on a completely unrelated note. t'would seem someone down wind of me has fryed chicken. I WANT FRYED CHICKEN
poxic wrote: Take a source of light and cook it up until it lases -- now you have a laser.

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:55 pm UTC

So what if that food is 10 hours old, I thought. A little bacteria shit won't kill me, I thought. It's just some silly toxins, I'm more resilient than that, I thought.

Well that was a bad idea.

edit: this feels worse than food poisoning. Anyone has a link or something as a distraction?

roband

Postby roband » Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:18 am UTC

I really hope that's me done for the day. No more phone calls please.

yurell

Postby yurell » Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:24 am UTC

Menacing Spike wrote:edit: this feels worse than food poisoning. Anyone has a link or something as a distraction?

Crash Course World History. 42 ten-minute videos starting pre-agriculture and ending up at modern globalisation, told in a manner that is most entertaining and informative. Also on there is Crash Course Biology and Crash Course Ecology if you'd rather them! As well as miniseries on Literature, and ongoing series on American History and Chemistry.
cemper93 wrote:Dude, I just presented an elaborate multiple fraction in Comic Sans. Who are you to question me?

Pronouns: Feminine pronouns please!

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:18 am UTC

yurell wrote:
Menacing Spike wrote:edit: this feels worse than food poisoning. Anyone has a link or something as a distraction?

Crash Course World History. 42 ten-minute videos starting pre-agriculture and ending up at modern globalisation, told in a manner that is most entertaining and informative. Also on there is Crash Course Biology and Crash Course Ecology if you'd rather them! As well as miniseries on Literature, and ongoing series on American History and Chemistry.

And two more channels to take your mind off being sick and to avoid doing work.
PBS Idea Channel
CGP Grey Explains
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:22 am UTC

Hey, this stuff is pretty cool! It's nice they took the effort to input subtitles.

yurell

Postby yurell » Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:25 am UTC

SurgicalSteel wrote:CGP Grey Explains

Motion seconded, motion carried. And glad you like CCWH, Menacing Spike!
cemper93 wrote:Dude, I just presented an elaborate multiple fraction in Comic Sans. Who are you to question me?

Pronouns: Feminine pronouns please!

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:28 am UTC

Crash Course World History is amazing.

I forgot to put this one too:
Minute Physics
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:15 pm UTC

Overheard on the internet:

Inches, feet and miles are better because they're more accurate and easier to measure!
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:01 pm UTC

Even as an American, I scratch my head at that comment.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

e^iπ+1=0
Much, much better than Gooder

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:04 pm UTC

Think you need to fix your sig, Giant Speck. Looks like you've raised considerably more than the $0 currently showing.
poxic wrote:You, sir, have heroic hair.
poxic wrote:I note that the hair is not slowing down. It appears to have progressed from heroic to rocking.

(Avatar by Sungura)

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:31 pm UTC

Thanks for reminding me. I decided to make it a static image instead of an annoying GIF.

EDIT: Also, I just realized that I never specified my name (Jesse, by the way) and I'm on a team this year.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:55 am UTC

You know how Randall has twice now made a comic about how websites point you to their mobile app and then redirect you to their home page when you wanted to see a specific article?

I just had that happen to me, not with a mobile app, but an AGE CONFIRMATION. Something that EVERY VISITOR SEES. Furthermore, something that deters NO ONE to begin with. Seriously why are they even there? Guilty conscience? Legal mandate? Guilty conscience of lawmakers? And then it can't even remember the URL I wanted, even though I'm on a PC.

Okay, fine, I got stopped by a language selector before an age confirmation, so it probably would have dropped the URL even WITHOUT the useless part, but how hard can this be, internet?
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:45 am UTC

Remember how the EU made rules about how sites that use cookies must first get user confirmation?

A site I know has a OK/No Cookies option, but, well, you need cookies on to remember your choice, and...

Also, dear all OS makers: can you please, PLEASE disable input auto-focusing when you detect that I'm currently typing on another input field? I'm trying to post a forum reply. Yes, I know the bulk downloads on the other page are ready, but please don't move my keyboard focus to the filename field when you know I'm typing on another frikin tab.
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

Ubik

Postby Ubik » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:51 am UTC

I hate auto-focusing especially when I'm typing in a password.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:18 pm UTC

The Scyphozoa wrote:You know how Randall has twice now made a comic about how websites point you to their mobile app and then redirect you to their home page when you wanted to see a specific article?

I just had that happen to me, not with a mobile app, but an AGE CONFIRMATION. Something that EVERY VISITOR SEES. Furthermore, something that deters NO ONE to begin with. Seriously why are they even there? Guilty conscience? Legal mandate? Guilty conscience of lawmakers? And then it can't even remember the URL I wanted, even though I'm on a PC.

US Law. The same reason you had to check a box signifying you were over the age of 13 when you signed up for the forum.

Because 'MURICA = WORLD, apparently.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:37 pm UTC

U ⊆ S'MURICA
Kewangji: Posdy zwei tosdy osdy oady. Bork bork bork, hoppity syphilis bork.

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?
doogly: Hands waving furiously.

Please use he/him/his pronouns when referring to me.

Jave D
chavey-dee

Postby Jave D » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:47 am UTC

Again I'd wanted to go to bed early because I have to get up early and go to fucking work in the fucking morning, and oh fucking no we can't have that! You don't ever have to get up early, unless of course it's my day off and I want to sleep in and then you'll get up, noisily groaning and moaning and dragging furniture around like a fucking asshole! Impeccable fucking timing! So then you sleep in early, sleep for thirteen fucking hours so now it's almost 11 and you're lying in bed praying to the fucking TV idol, with the volume cranked up because you're a fucking deaf asshole too, smacking your lips while the light plays a lightning show in the room so it's impossible to sleep even if I have the covers over my head like a dead man and my big earphones on with white noise at ear-splitting levels! Hooray, yet another day with my sleep robbed from me, you fucking thief of my dreams and peace! Now I'll get to drag myself to work tomorrow in the freezing cold tomorrow while you snore soundly you fucking shit! Reminding me of how the main, perhaps the only reason I'm moving out this weekend is because I can't fucking stand anything you fucking do, you fucking creaky old bastard! I'll slave like a dipshit and pay money I don't have to live in a place I can't afford, just so I don't go crazy because you're inconsiderate and insane! FUCK YOU. BITCH. GOD DAMN YOU.

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:49 pm UTC

That's a fantastic rant. I'm sorry your roommate sucks so bad.
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:14 am UTC

So I decided to buy some DLC for Dragon Age 2. BioWare's servers seem to be crap tonight:

Spoiler:
argh.png

That's five failed attempts (and a sixth in progress) at downloading a 1.2Gb file. None have made it to halfway, and there doesn't seem to be anything as advanced as "pick up where we left off". It starts right from zero every time.

Hey, EA has online help, right? Or at least an email address?

Spoiler:
grrrargh.png

Edit to add: I'd just got past 500 megs on the last attempt when my graphics driver shat itself, forcing a reboot. Goddammitsomuch.
(Re-edited: moved to pant thread, since it's more to do with panting than the game itself.)
((Re-re-edited: Just starting the eighth attempt. The last one made it to ~85% complete, dammit.))
(((... ELEVEN. I think it finally finished. Jesus On Steel Wheels.)))
In everyone's life, at some time, our inner fire goes out. It is then burst into flame by an encounter with another human being. We should all be thankful for those people who rekindle the inner spirit.
- Albert Schweitzer, philosopher, physician, musician, Nobel laureate (14 Jan 1875-1965)

3rdtry

Postby 3rdtry » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:26 pm UTC

Dear Microsoft: your "Windows 7 USB/DVD download tool" is a NONFUNCTIONAL PIECE OF SHIT that can't even get its name right. It would be nice if you fixed it. That is all.

Update:
Spoiler:
backup.PNG

brenok
Needs Directions

Postby brenok » Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:10 pm UTC

3rdtry wrote:
backup.PNG

What was that supposed to be?

3rdtry

Postby 3rdtry » Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:14 pm UTC

brenok wrote:What was that supposed to be?

Well the "Windows 7 USB/DVD download tool" makes bootable USB disks or DVDs from a Windows install disk iso file (so it "downloads" a file from your computer to an USB disk, which is a pretty weird usage of download). I don't think that should be considered a backup. It also works with Windows 8, so a more appropriate name could be "Windows USB installer creator" or something.

If you try to use it on a 32-bit computer to install a 64-bit system it will fail with a cryptic message AFTER copying all the files to the disk, in which case you have to hunt for some file on the internet and save it on the same folder you're running it from, then repeat the whole thing. Sometimes it will fail before copying the files with another useless message ("We were unable to transfer files"), in which case you obviously have to run "diskpart clean".

elminster

Postby elminster » Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:59 pm UTC

"Oh you work out... let's see your muscles" i.e. "... let's see your biceps".

I hate that some people think think the end goal of exercise is big biceps. I've barely done any bicep focused exercises for years, which means relatively they're quite weak. Although a lot of rowing type exercises and genetics means I have largish biceps (Although I do a lot of tricep exercises, which make up more of the total size than biceps anyway). Then, whenever I have my dumbbells lying around in my room and they see ~32kg on it, they're like "Oh wow, you curl that?"... like, wtf?
A) If I could do that properly, I'd be gigantic, B) There are other exercises that are relatively easy to do with that weight, C) Why are dumbbells only for curling in your mind? Of the >100 exercises you can do with them.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:15 pm UTC

Because people who don't know anything about weightlifting are going by TV commercials?
In everyone's life, at some time, our inner fire goes out. It is then burst into flame by an encounter with another human being. We should all be thankful for those people who rekindle the inner spirit.
- Albert Schweitzer, philosopher, physician, musician, Nobel laureate (14 Jan 1875-1965)

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:21 pm UTC

elminster wrote:like, wtf?

Maybe they have no knowledge about, nor interest in fitness and are humoring you for conversation?

RollingHead

Postby RollingHead » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:37 pm UTC

Don't you love when teachers decide to schedule an exam with two weeks notice, and then don't even give you the course material to study with until two nights before the test?

elminster

Postby elminster » Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:23 am UTC

Menacing Spike wrote:
elminster wrote:like, wtf?
Maybe they have no knowledge about, nor interest in fitness and are humoring you for conversation?
Possibly. Although more than enough people have said it sincerely to not just be a joking thing. I guess you're right in the fact that they may not have any experience to compare it to. Also they may assume all weight plates are a similar density, but sand filled plastic ones would be around 1/3 less.

Although I do find it rather amusing when people try pick them up and curl it themselves.

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:41 am UTC

I removed the phone from my cable bundle and upgraded my internet package to one with a maximum download speed of 50 Mbps. This required me to upgrade to a DOCSIS 3.0 modem.

After getting things properly set up, my speeds have not changed and now I'm getting lag when I open more than one tab. The problem seems to be worse on my Mac than it is on my Windows laptop.

Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.

Postby Yakk » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:19 am UTC

Connect to your cable modem (192.168.100.1 sometimes) and look at the diagnostics.

Do you have a crappy cable inside your house that might be bent or something by any chance?
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

Last edited by JHVH on Fri Oct 23, 4004 BCE 6:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:32 am UTC

I've checked the settings panel and I couldn't find anything out of place. I did see that only two of the four upstream channels are locking, if that means anything. This is a gateway with wireless built-in, and I'm really unfamiliar with the settings and such.

I've checked the ethernet cable and I didn't see any bends or tears or anything. The only time it's been touched lately is this morning, when I unplugged it from the old modem and then again when I plugged it into the new modem. I'm experiencing this problem intermittently with both ethernet and wireless.

Kithplana

Postby Kithplana » Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:13 pm UTC

Hard to say without getting up to my elbows in it, but since the fault seems to be upstream from your computers I'd look hard at the new modem's settings and see if the cable company can run some kind of line test on their own stuff in the meantime. I've seen situations where upgrading to higher speeds actually made the performance worse because the lines between customer and ISP just couldn't handle it. It could be a bad modem, of course, but it's brand new...

Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.

Postby Yakk » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:59 pm UTC

Giant Speck wrote:I've checked the settings panel and I couldn't find anything out of place. I did see that only two of the four upstream channels are locking, if that means anything. This is a gateway with wireless built-in, and I'm really unfamiliar with the settings and such.

Ya, 2/4 doesn't sound good.
I've checked the ethernet cable and I didn't see any bends or tears or anything. The only time it's been touched lately is this morning, when I unplugged it from the old modem and then again when I plugged it into the new modem. I'm experiencing this problem intermittently with both ethernet and wireless.

I wasn't asking about the ethernet cable -- I was asking about the coax cable.
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

Last edited by JHVH on Fri Oct 23, 4004 BCE 6:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:13 pm UTC

Oh, I checked that, too, and I didn't see anything wrong with it.

Anyway, I swapped out the modem with one that does not have wireless capability and then hooked it up to my wireless router. It seems everything is working fine now, but I'm still not achieving advertised speeds. I'm only getting the speeds I was getting before. Also, something might also be up with the ethernet cable. I don't know what it is, but the internet works when I'm connected via WiFi but either doesn't work at all or works very poorly when connected via Ethernet.

So, where it seemed to be both my cable company and the modem, it seems that the problem is now just with the cable company. I'm going to have to give them a call.

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:39 am UTC

Got it fixed. I called the cable company and they told me that the modem and the tier weren't added to my account correctly. It's working now. :)

m4d4sb34ns

Postby m4d4sb34ns » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:53 pm UTC

I had awesome housemates when I lived in a shared house - reading this thread makes me realise how goddamn lucky I was.

On Topic: Fuck You, National Rail/Train Companies. £12 per day for a 35 minute return journey with frequent significant delays, not enough seats etc. etc.

Samsung, Y U NO MAKE DECENT QUALITY HD/DVD RECORDER BOXES? It can burn to DVD, but only in a crappy format. It can record TV, but only one channel at a time, and you can't watch something else at the same time. It can only record if in "standby" mode. If you use it to play back a recording then switch it off, it messes with the regular TV signal, making BBC channels unwatchable. So you leave it switched on unnecessarily to keep the live TV picture in tune, but if you forget to switch it off all recordings are cancelled until you remember. BLARG.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:47 pm UTC

Ugh. Ate some bad chicken at lunch yesterday, started getting a killer headache as the night wore on, and decided to go home "early" at 10PM and lie down instead of hiding at the office until midnight as usual (to avoid the loud asshole living at my house). Before I could even unlock the front door, I could hear the booming of the asshole's TV. Went to a restaurant to hide for another hour, eventually came home, people were still up and about and though the sound wasn't playing anymore I could hear the buzz from the speakers still, the volume was up so loud. Went to my room, saw my clock blinking -- someone had killed the power to my room. Wait. That deserves its own mini-rant first:

A month or so ago, I decided to retaliate after being woken up by loud music again, by putting Disturb's "Down With The Sickness" on loop on my own sound system with the bass EQ'd up to max, and then leaving for the day. When I got back that night, someone had flipped the breaker to my room. To prevent that in the future, I took back my router, which I had stupidly moved into the living room when the asshole moved in (I'm not even sure why), and put it back in my room, so if they killed the power to my room they'd kill their own internet too. Twice since then, I've come home and found my clock blinking like the power had gone out. I figure someone is cycling the power to my room as a way of resetting the router or something. I already gave the one housemate that I still like(d) permission to enter and reset it if necessary. I suspect the asshole is the one doing this.

Anyway. Seeing that again, and still with an excruciating headache and already pissed after spending an hour sitting at a restaurant waiting for it to be safe to come home, I blew my top and instead of avoiding the problem went and yelled at them. The asshole ignored me, and the one I like(d) told me to calm the fuck down and claimed that nobody killed the power to my room. I told him my clock indicates otherwise, and stormed back to my room to take some ibuprofin and a hot shower and then lie down. I was still too upset to lie down after my shower, so I got on my computer to browse imgur for a while, and saw an email from the one I like(d), titled "fuck you", saying thanks for ruining what had otherwise been a nice birthday. Great. Now I feel bad for ruining his birthday; I've had plenty ruined myself, but that's another rant.

I wrote back saying sorry for that, but, I'm sick and tired of putting up with having my home disturbed and avoiding confrontation just for the sake of not disturbing the house for him. I am not comfortable in my home anymore. I'm sorry it makes him uncomfortable to have me express that, but I'm not gonna fucking ignore it anymore. I'm giving that asshole hell every night from now on until he decides that reasonable compromise is a more appealing option than stonewalling and suffering the consequences. If I hold back the consequences that will never happen, so, fuck you dude -- here come consequences. Prepared to be as miserable as I am, you inconsiderate asshole. And sorry everyone else for the collateral damage, but it's unavoidable.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

3rdtry

Postby 3rdtry » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:52 pm UTC

Had 20 minutes free. Wanted to want Team Fortress 2. By the time I finally got into a server I had 10 minutes free. Then I realize Scumbag Flatmate left his torrents at full speed again making the game unplayable. And then explorer.exe crashes for no reason.

ahammel
My Little Cabbage

Postby ahammel » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:08 am UTC

Me: "Actually I listen to classical music mostly."
Other guy: "Oh yeah? I guess some people find it relaxing."
Me: :evil:
He/Him/His/Alex
God damn these electric sex pants!

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:28 am UTC

Dang it, I forgot to get in on the Machine of Death board game Kickstarter before it ended. I guess I'll just have to buy it regularly.

Return to “General”