Hype your ripe snipes 'n' gripes

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

User avatar
Felstaff
Occam's Taser
Posts: 5178
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:10 pm UTC
Location: ¢ ₪ ¿ ¶ § ∴ ® © ™ ؟ ¡ ‽ æ Þ ° ₰ ₤ ಡಢ

Re: Rant Thread

Postby Felstaff » Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:29 am UTC

gleeb wrote:I for one do not support the physical abuse of any child or any person in any way, but...
gleeb wrote:Sure, violence is something that can be disturbing, but...
gleeb wrote:I wholly agree that a player will take the in violence more than someone reading a book, but...


I know this is a rant and as such should be assumed to be independently researched and unfounded, but...

I think you should possibly go into Serious Business and read the threads on violence and unjust laws to get a rounded picture of attitudes concerning violence and government interference in daily life, and see that a great deal of people may not share the view you just spouted, and may have a fair few justifiable reasons for not doing so.

(Chiefly: the 'x did me no harm so how can it possibly be harmful?' attitude rarely holds much sway)
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

User avatar
RealGrouchy
Nobody Misses Me As Much As Meaux.
Posts: 6704
Joined: Thu May 18, 2006 7:17 am UTC
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread

Postby RealGrouchy » Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:50 am UTC

As Felstaff said (an ninja'd me while I wrote out this response), Serious Business is a much better venue for this to be argued. Here's my long-winded version of what he put very concisely. If you want to reply, please take it to an appropriate thread in SB and I will gladly not follow you there.

gleeb wrote:My rant subject is on the legislation of the proper way to raise a child. In current society, it is not only far from rare, it is expected of the Government to take the active role in the rearing of children. The current lunacy can be seen in the various laws that have made it hard or impossible to use corporal punishment when administering punishments to children.
This is not the Government telling parents the proper way to raise a child; it is telling parents to not raise their children the improper way: by beating them.

gleeb wrote:I for one do not support the physical abuse of any child or any person in any way, but if a child is scared that that is a possible, plausible and legal method of punishment, they will be far less likely to offend any rules. I wasn't smacked as a child but I can say with certainty that I was always fearful that my actions might bring a swift hand to my buttocks.
Look up the legal definition of "assault". No physical interaction needs to occur, merely the threat thereof.

gleeb wrote:After looking at that understandable but misguided change in the world-view of The Majority, it then moved on to other things, the most annoying of which to me is the censoring of media from children. While it's true that on some level it is upsetting to hear a child swear, it is also something that can not be discounted as a fact. Why, then, must we say that children should not hear swearing through our media? These words can, in fact, be used perfectly validly as expressions of emotion, more powerful than the suggested alternatives. It's not the use of the words that I object to, it's their overuse.
The government does not prevent you from swearing to, at, or in the presence of your children. Nor does it force you to prevent your children from consuming media with such content. It *does* have provisions preventing children in some venues, and it points to children to justify its banning of various words in mass media, but that affects everybody, not just children.

gleeb wrote:The same can also be applied to violence. Sure, violence is something that can be disturbing, but it is also a natural part of the human being, inexorable as it is.
Are you trying to suggest that the violence depicted on TV and in films is "natural"? Aside from that, the same goes as above: the government gives filtering tools to parents (e.g. the V-chip and standardized ratings), and it's up to those parents to choose whether or not use them.

gleeb wrote:For that matter, why do people seem to think that video-game and computer-game violence has a greater effect on it's players? I'm not denying that it doesn't.
So... you've built up a straw man, then instead of beating it down, you're using the straw-man to bolster your argument? Weak. Get facts. Look at studies. I don't have a clue what they say or if they are valid, but it's a better starting point than an ass-umption. Also, "greater effect"--greater than what?

A player is playing the game and has been given or may have selected a character to whom he will become attached by the very fact that he has direct control, within the power allotted to the player, over this character's life and even the lives of many characters surrounding him. This means that the player is more likely to understand what the character is doing and why, given proper exposition. This makes the player more able to understand the reason for the violence.
Oh, for fuck's sake, what a crock. Shall we coin the phrase "Bleeding Heart Libertarian" for you? This argument reminds me of an argument made back when cars were still a new invention. They said that people would get exercise out of cars because of the exertion while turning the steering wheel.

There are three main types of gamers... Those that play to play, regardless of story; Those that play to feel, engaged with the story; Those that play to improve, reaching for a set goal, and setting a new goal when they reach it. It is people that fall outside of those three categories that I worry about. They are the ones that take it to heart... but any person who would is just as dangerous without games. Luckily, they are few and far between.
I don't know about you, but when I play games I do it to play. To derive pleasure, i.e. from solving a problem. Most of the time I skip over the backstory it's useful to the functionality of the game.

In Summary: I've been playing video games since before I could type/write, and I'm not a Serial Killer...
Denying the antecedent, not to mention your silly implicit straw-man premise that "playing video games will turn you into a serial killer."

Assume for a moment that 99% of people who played video games became violent. Not necessarily serial killers, but more violent than otherwise. And you were the 100th guy, who did not. I would think it pretty sound to base policy on that type of correlation. Not that I'm saying the correlation exists, I'm just rebutting your anecdotal evidence.

...so stop legislating games out of the hands of children perfectly able to play them without killing real people afterwards. Let the parent make that choice.
I'm all for getting the government out of people's private decisions, but the arguments you make do a very, very unconvincing job.

I am tired now, and probably won't return to this thread to see your reply. Consider all questions in this post to be rhetorical.

- RG>
Jack Saladin wrote:etc., lock'd
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:At least he has the decency to REMOVE THE GAP BETWEEN HIS QUOTES....
Sungura wrote:I don't really miss him. At all. He was pretty grouchy.

User avatar
gleeb
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:27 pm UTC
Location: The coat-tails of his younger, more powerful friends.
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread

Postby gleeb » Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:55 am UTC

Good lord.

Thanks for doing your best to point me in the right direction. I was directed here after posting in another thread.

My post was not intended to spark a debate, and it is far from serious business for me, as, frankly, under the current system and within the UK, bar a total of 3 decisions on the part of the BBFC, 'the system works.' (Besides which, Serious Business scares me)

I do however, want to clear up a few things, as from your comments and my current state, I clearly didn't make sure I made my point correctly and I may have com across as someone I'm not.

I do not condone beating children. I do not condone threatening to beat children. A physical reminder that your mom is nonplussed much like the headslaps from Gibbs in NCIS are around about my limit. No pain, no marks, just make the point and move on. Anything more is wrong.

I'm quite aware of the legal definition of assault. I've been assaulted 2 times in 3 months without any realistic provocation.

As for forcing you to prevent your children from consuming media with 'more adult' content in it, what you say is true, but they do try to keep it away from younger children through the constructs of the law. I can see why they do, but I can also see that it is misguided. See my statements on children being able to grasp the context.

I would never suggest that dramatized violence is natural. It is, however, a natural and healthy exploration of that part of the human being. You're right, in that there are tools that can be used to filter content for children, but when you start moving in the direction of the V-chip and Parental Controls on modern consoles (which are an admirable technology in it's sentiment) you move into the realm of people who use the TV to babysit their children instead of spending time with them whilst also moderating their media consumption.

As for my straw-man, I won't be beating it down. It's a solution to a problem that exists. The problem I have with it is that it's a replacement for a good parent. In regards to the studies, they are still on-going. It is my firmly-held belief that violent video games do increase short-term violent tendencies, but help reduce long-term violence and stress. This can be seen in French prisons, where fighting has been massively reduced with the limited introduction of video games, though that can also be attributed to inmates being less bored :P Regarding my "greater effect" statement... my first draft said "greater effect on it's players than books and movies do on their fan-base?" I don't know why I removed that.

Why you think direct control over a character causes a closer connection is 'a crock' is beyond me. I for one couldn't bring myself to play Halo 3 multiplayer after the ending of Halo 3 for a good 24 hours, purely because of the emotion of the ending.

I count myself in all three categories. I play for the story, I enjoy the puzzles/mindless ultraviolence, and I seek to better myself, often playing through a whole game many times, much like someone would re-read a book, so that I can try different ways of solving a puzzle, or so I can better grip the story, or so I can see the story told in a different manner... sometimes, a whole other story can be seen.

Regarding your remaining points, I can best address them en masse by say that I can see that the minds inhabiting this forum are of a higher caliber than those I am used to working with on others. For instance, Whole sentences are being used, including punctuation, grammar and even those darn-fangled capitals that escape others. Whole ideas are being communicated with a respect for common reference points. I shall clearly have to pay attention around these parts.

...but yes, it was just a rant.

EDIT: Ugh, another long post. I really should stop caring about things.

The Mighty Thesaurus
In your library, eating your students
Posts: 4399
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:47 am UTC
Location: The Daily Bugle

Re: Rant Thread

Postby The Mighty Thesaurus » Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:31 am UTC

gleeb wrote:it is far from serious business for me


You've made that abundantly clear.
LE4dGOLEM wrote:your ability to tell things from things remains one of your skills.
Weeks wrote:Not only can you tell things from things, you can recognize when a thing is a thing

Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

User avatar
podbaydoor
Posts: 7548
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:16 am UTC
Location: spaceship somewhere out there

Re: Rant Thread

Postby podbaydoor » Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:47 pm UTC

Journalists are the most passive-aggressive bunch I have ever encountered in my life. And today my teacher said, you have five or six ways to find out your editor's preferences before you take the last-ditch tactic of (god forbid!) asking them. Passive-aggressiveness, encouraged in institutionalized form. Goddamn. I hate journalists. They can't say anything straight to each other.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

User avatar
Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.
Posts: 11129
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:27 pm UTC
Location: E pur si muove

Re: Rant Thread

Postby Yakk » Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:09 pm UTC

If they say something strait, they could get quoted.

And they know where that leads!
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

Last edited by JHVH on Fri Oct 23, 4004 BCE 6:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.

User avatar
Noc
Put on her robe and wizard hat ALL NIGHT LONG
Posts: 1339
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:36 pm UTC
Location: Within a 50 mile radius.
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread

Postby Noc » Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:22 pm UTC

Exclusive quote from fascist rabble-rouser 'podbaydoor' wrote:I hate the free press, freedom of speech, and, honestly freedom in general. I also run an underground puppy-kicking ring. Because I hate puppies and enjoy kicking them.

. . . really?

gleeb wrote:...but yes, it was just a rant.

Actually, it wasn't quite just a rant. It was a soapboxing. You didn't express your own annoyance and frustration, and vent about how angry you, personally, are about something: you presented a complete argument against a trend in government policy.

For example, "Goddamnit, I hate how difficult it is to get video games here," is a rant. It is an expression of frustration. It is an exercise in venting. "This is why the government is wrong about things," on the other hand, is an argument.

The solution is not to stop caring about these things, it's to learn enough about them so that your arguments against them are stable and stand up to intellectual scrutiny, and consequentially better serve your position. They're likely to be more concise, too, because you'll be able to make concrete and supportable points, instead of spending paragraphs building up straw men. There is some research out there, for instance (and some analysis) that should be helpful on the video game front specifically.

I'd recommend some research into the causes and nature of child abuse too, because "Parents should be allowed to beat their kids but only if they do it a little bit" is rather frown-inducing. Because, you know, any parent who's physically attacking ("disciplining") their child is likely to believe that it's warranted, regardless of the actual severity and impact of their actions. And "It's alright as long as it doesn't leave a mark" is sort of equitable with "Oh, look, it's 'bag or oranges' time again!" But with some research, you could probably end up with a similar argument based on better qualified terms that isn't as flimsy, self-contradictory, or applicable as justification for all manner of child abuse with wince-inducing ease.

Doing otherwise is both a disservice to your position and an insult to our intelligence. And to be honest, the "I'm sorry for not bothering to think my post through, but I didn't think that you guys would be intelligent enough to notice" is already sort of an insult. You're clearly bright enough to tell the difference . . . so either you respect your audience enough to formulate a cohesive point, or you don't.
Have you given up?

Teapot
Posts: 1804
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:32 pm UTC
Location: Scotland. Edinburgh mostly.
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread

Postby Teapot » Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:56 pm UTC

National express don't seem to have a working email for me to ask about my hat and whether I'll be seeing it again :(

I don't want to buy another one I just want my hat back! It's really frustrating.
Jessica wrote:Dammit, teapot is better than everyone else.
Moo wrote:
pseudoidiot wrote:Localized, non-contagious willy leprosy?
"I'm sorry, sir, it's LNWL. There's nothing we can do".

User avatar
gleeb
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:27 pm UTC
Location: The coat-tails of his younger, more powerful friends.
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread

Postby gleeb » Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:08 pm UTC

Eep. I never intended to insult anybody.. at least not in *this* forum. My comment was intended only to show that I am used to interacting at a different level.

As for "beating childen just a little bit" I would say it is a fine line between beating and a tap enough to make someone realize displeasure. A bag of oranges would cause pain, no? Maybe I should have specified that using anything other than a hand is not something I approve of.

I was not, at any point, making a concerted effort to make sense, make an argument in either direction or hold myself to a specific level of intelligence. I was merely stating my heavily biased opinion, one that carries no weight as I almost certainly won't be having children, unfortunately. It really was 'just a rant' to me.

Can we drop it now? :'(

Teapot: Regarding your hat, have you tried c.relations@nationalexpress.com? They hold your item up to 3 months at a central location, and you will be charged to get it back.
Last edited by gleeb on Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:16 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
felltir
has a sniper scope and a trigger finger.
Posts: 2493
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:01 pm UTC
Location: Back in't home town. Never at home.
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread

Postby felltir » Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:15 pm UTC

gleeb wrote:Can we drop it now?

After this.
gleeb wrote:I would say it is a fine line between beating and a tap enough to make someone realize displeasure.

Why not just TELL THEM?
Spoiler:
RoadieRich wrote:He's a super flexible furry martial artist from London. She is a Rabbit breeding mad scientist from Michigan. They fight crime!
The Great Hippo wrote:I THINK THE SOLAR SYSTEM MIGHT BE AN ATOM OF OXYGEN.


Blog

he/him/his

User avatar
gleeb
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:27 pm UTC
Location: The coat-tails of his younger, more powerful friends.
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread

Postby gleeb » Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:21 pm UTC

Telling them would be best, yes. I'm not saying it's the best way to discipline a child, or even a good way. It is a last option. It's not a method I would choose. I can, however, see why people resort to it, and as long as it can reasonably be seen as correction and not an abuse, I have no problem with it. The problem is that it is a very fine line that is drawn in different places by different people. I can see why it's been banned outright, I just happen to disagree with it being banned outright when there are other ways of dealing with it that already existed.

User avatar
felltir
has a sniper scope and a trigger finger.
Posts: 2493
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:01 pm UTC
Location: Back in't home town. Never at home.
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread

Postby felltir » Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:25 pm UTC

gleeb wrote:Telling them would be best, yes. I'm not saying it's the best way to discipline a child, or even a good way. It is a last option. It's not a method I would choose. I can, however, see why people resort to it, and as long as it can reasonably be seen as correction and not an abuse, I have no problem with it. The problem is that it is a very fine line that is drawn in different places by different people. I can see why it's been banned outright, I just happen to disagree with it being banned outright when there are other ways of dealing with it that already existed.


I can agree completely until what I bolded. But that's just because I have different opinion on abuse than you, I presume.
Spoiler:
RoadieRich wrote:He's a super flexible furry martial artist from London. She is a Rabbit breeding mad scientist from Michigan. They fight crime!
The Great Hippo wrote:I THINK THE SOLAR SYSTEM MIGHT BE AN ATOM OF OXYGEN.


Blog

he/him/his

Teapot
Posts: 1804
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:32 pm UTC
Location: Scotland. Edinburgh mostly.
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread

Postby Teapot » Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:30 pm UTC

gleeb wrote:Teapot: Regarding your hat, have you tried c.relations@nationalexpress.com? They hold your item up to 3 months at a central location, and you will be charged to get it back.

That was the first one I tried. That came back as not working. I tried an email address that seemed to be on a more recent page, but that one doesn't seem to exist either. I think I'm going to have to phone them tomorrow and see if I can get my hat posted to me. (As long as it's going to cost less than buying a new hat would.)

Also Re-correction/abuse: My parents friends "corrected" their children in this way and all it taught them was "It's not ok for you to hit each other, but it's fine for us to hit you." Which has always seemed really really wrong to me.
Jessica wrote:Dammit, teapot is better than everyone else.
Moo wrote:
pseudoidiot wrote:Localized, non-contagious willy leprosy?
"I'm sorry, sir, it's LNWL. There's nothing we can do".

User avatar
bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title
Posts: 7461
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:29 pm UTC
Location: Airstrip One

Re: Rant Thread

Postby bigglesworth » Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:32 pm UTC

It's also no longer thought that hitting criminals will cure them of their criminal ways...
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

User avatar
gleeb
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:27 pm UTC
Location: The coat-tails of his younger, more powerful friends.
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread

Postby gleeb » Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:42 pm UTC

So it would seem. You're wholly against it, but there are people who are for it. I can see why they're for it. Even having been through some of the worst abuses that exist today, I'm for it, within reason. I'm not saying I'm right, or that you're wrong. I'm just expressing my opinion.

Bigglesworth: By adulthood, people are expected to be able to understand reason and consequence.

Rant: Judge Judy really does grind my gears. I find all the aggression really stressful, and that's just from Judge Judy herself.

User avatar
felltir
has a sniper scope and a trigger finger.
Posts: 2493
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:01 pm UTC
Location: Back in't home town. Never at home.
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread

Postby felltir » Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:43 pm UTC

*hugs* for
gleeb wrote:So it would seem. You're wholly against it, but there are people who are for it. I can see why they're for it. Even having been through some of the worst abuses that exist today
Spoiler:
RoadieRich wrote:He's a super flexible furry martial artist from London. She is a Rabbit breeding mad scientist from Michigan. They fight crime!
The Great Hippo wrote:I THINK THE SOLAR SYSTEM MIGHT BE AN ATOM OF OXYGEN.


Blog

he/him/his

User avatar
Lolsaur
Posts: 630
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:40 pm UTC
Location: Stonehaven, Scotland
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread

Postby Lolsaur » Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:45 pm UTC

Friggin' Vista keeps trying to restart on me because of these friggin' updates someone installed here when I wasn't in the friggin' house.

I don't want to restart. I'm using this thing. When I click "postpone", I'm thinking "I'll restart you when I'm finished". Leave me alone, Vista.

Fucking Belle & Sebastian isn't working like it normally does.

EDIT: For Felltir does not approve of me using expletives.
Last edited by Lolsaur on Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:50 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Worst Fight Scene Ever

This cosy, special made for this Teapot

Spoiler:
You've never looked better than you did that night
And your eyes have never looked so blue
And when we kissed it was like nothing else existed
As time stood still for me and you

User avatar
Jebobek
Posts: 2219
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:19 pm UTC
Location: Harrisburg, Pennsylvania Geohash graticule

Re: Rant Thread

Postby Jebobek » Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:45 pm UTC

I never liked those sassy judge(s) in the first place. Because the sass is directly proportional to the ratings (or at least believed to be so) the judge(s) get overly sassy while those in court are acting totally normal.
Image

User avatar
felltir
has a sniper scope and a trigger finger.
Posts: 2493
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:01 pm UTC
Location: Back in't home town. Never at home.
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread

Postby felltir » Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:47 pm UTC

Edit: Lolsaur smells. :P
Last edited by felltir on Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:00 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler:
RoadieRich wrote:He's a super flexible furry martial artist from London. She is a Rabbit breeding mad scientist from Michigan. They fight crime!
The Great Hippo wrote:I THINK THE SOLAR SYSTEM MIGHT BE AN ATOM OF OXYGEN.


Blog

he/him/his

User avatar
Lolsaur
Posts: 630
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:40 pm UTC
Location: Stonehaven, Scotland
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread

Postby Lolsaur » Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:51 pm UTC

Funny guy.

Although, it did bring a slight smile to me face, for once today.
Worst Fight Scene Ever

This cosy, special made for this Teapot

Spoiler:
You've never looked better than you did that night
And your eyes have never looked so blue
And when we kissed it was like nothing else existed
As time stood still for me and you

User avatar
gleeb
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:27 pm UTC
Location: The coat-tails of his younger, more powerful friends.
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread

Postby gleeb » Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:52 pm UTC

Lolsaur wrote:Vista update woes.


That's still in there since XP? That bugs me too. :evil:

Jebobek wrote:Sassy Judges Suck


It certainly does nothing to calm the situation, does it? Thing is, you then have the people who maintain serenity at all times on those shows, which really makes me wary of their position.

User avatar
Dobblesworth
Dobblesworth, here's the title you requested over three years ago. -Banana
Posts: 1429
Joined: Wed May 30, 2007 12:06 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread

Postby Dobblesworth » Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:00 pm UTC

Vista updates still spam with the "Hello there, we added a useless security pack... again. But we need to reboot to sort it out" message, but the "Restart Later" option I seem to recall only went to 5-10 mins on XP, while Vista has an option to set it up to 4hrs. It really is a nuisance. I don't mind reloading Firefox to fix an addon, but rebooting Vista for Windows "Fix" KB5728567298.44444 isn't worth my time.

User avatar
bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title
Posts: 7461
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:29 pm UTC
Location: Airstrip One

Re: Rant Thread

Postby bigglesworth » Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:55 pm UTC

Gaarg. I am exactly the wrong amount of clever. People ask me for help with stuff, and usually I can help them. However, these people cannot help me with any of the problems I have. Cleverer people than I naturally don't need my help, but since I can't help them, I tend to refrain from asking for their help, since it would be such an unequal trade and I'd be in their debt. There are no people who find some things difficult, but can help me with others.

Also my laptop just crashed. Ugh.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

User avatar
micco
Posts: 750
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2007 4:16 pm UTC
Location: Finland
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread

Postby micco » Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:03 pm UTC

Why the hell do social situations have to be so difficult to me? Talking to someone shouldn't be this hard.
An anarchist is a person that makes oatmeal and blows it up.

Mo0man
Posts: 1258
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:46 am UTC
Location: 2 weeks ago

Re: Rant Thread

Postby Mo0man » Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:52 pm UTC

Grand Theft Childhood
i.e: "Little kids should not be playing M rated games, however, most kids that do so don't have any problems"
causa major dormuc vulnero ut ovis goatee
I'm number 20075. Remember that. It's important

User avatar
Jebobek
Posts: 2219
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:19 pm UTC
Location: Harrisburg, Pennsylvania Geohash graticule

Re: Rant Thread

Postby Jebobek » Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:38 pm UTC

micco wrote:Why the hell do social situations have to be so difficult to me? Talking to someone shouldn't be this hard.
Did you try changing the medium where you're doing social seituatoins? Move from Emails, Then AIM, then phone conversations, then face-to-face again. Or are you talking more about group activities/ approaching someone of interest for the first time?
Image

User avatar
micco
Posts: 750
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2007 4:16 pm UTC
Location: Finland
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread

Postby micco » Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:43 pm UTC

It`s more about group activities if I don't know the persons involved and approaching someone the first time. Actually, I never approach anyone I don't know, I`m way too shy to do that.
An anarchist is a person that makes oatmeal and blows it up.

User avatar
Jebobek
Posts: 2219
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:19 pm UTC
Location: Harrisburg, Pennsylvania Geohash graticule

Re: Rant Thread

Postby Jebobek » Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:52 pm UTC

Well, you've approached us by talking to us. I know its anonymous right now, but maybe someday you'll go to an XKCD (or somethign else that origionated in cyberville) meetup and make friends with some of the folks you talk to. Maybe you're more particular on the type of people you want to associate with?
Image

User avatar
Lolsaur
Posts: 630
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:40 pm UTC
Location: Stonehaven, Scotland
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread

Postby Lolsaur » Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:55 pm UTC

Felltir wrote:Edit: Lolsaur smells nicer than Felltir. :P


Fixed that one for ya, chum! :P
Worst Fight Scene Ever

This cosy, special made for this Teapot

Spoiler:
You've never looked better than you did that night
And your eyes have never looked so blue
And when we kissed it was like nothing else existed
As time stood still for me and you

User avatar
Flying Betty
Posts: 1147
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:25 am UTC
Location: Next Tuesday

Re: Rant Thread

Postby Flying Betty » Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:46 am UTC

For sale: One cough. Gently used, but still has a lot of life left in it. Infinitely useful: annoy your neighbors, get back at those people who talk through movies, call your boss and prove that you're sick. Seriously guys, this is too valuable to pass up. All reasonable offers accepted!

omega
Posts: 58
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:35 pm UTC

Re: Rant Thread

Postby omega » Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:07 am UTC

Flying Betty wrote:For sale: One cough. Gently used, but still has a lot of life left in it. Infinitely useful: annoy your neighbors, get back at those people who talk through movies, call your boss and prove that you're sick. Seriously guys, this is too valuable to pass up. All reasonable offers accepted!


I'd gladly buy, but I already have one myself.
And to make matters worse, I just choked on peppermint tea. >< Roommate wanted to send me to the doctor's and then made fun of me when I told him I just choked.

I wish he'd just shut up, he's been a bitch all this and last week, and he owes me money that he doesn't plan on returning anytime soon because he's too lazy to - *gasp* - go to the ATM machine and draw cash.

User avatar
felltir
has a sniper scope and a trigger finger.
Posts: 2493
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:01 pm UTC
Location: Back in't home town. Never at home.
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread

Postby felltir » Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:19 am UTC

Lolsaur wrote:
Felltir wrote:Edit: Lolsaur smells nicer than Felltir. :P


Fixed that one for ya, chum! :P


Hooves are not good for washing. What can I say? XD
Spoiler:
RoadieRich wrote:He's a super flexible furry martial artist from London. She is a Rabbit breeding mad scientist from Michigan. They fight crime!
The Great Hippo wrote:I THINK THE SOLAR SYSTEM MIGHT BE AN ATOM OF OXYGEN.


Blog

he/him/his

User avatar
Lolsaur
Posts: 630
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:40 pm UTC
Location: Stonehaven, Scotland
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread

Postby Lolsaur » Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:39 am UTC

With no opposable thumbs, holding soap or a shampoo bottle is quite a feat in itself, so kudos to you.

My rant? Why aren't theses small packets of cereal in the variety packet that extra 10 or 20 grams bigger? I mean, as thy are, they're too small for breakfast, but two packets is too much! Get it sorted!

Although, reading the packaging, it would appear they are aimed at children and therefore would be about the right size, if not too large, for one of the munchkins that people seem so fond of.

Hehehe, I got the monkey to the chocolate cereal through the maze...First time, too.
Worst Fight Scene Ever

This cosy, special made for this Teapot

Spoiler:
You've never looked better than you did that night
And your eyes have never looked so blue
And when we kissed it was like nothing else existed
As time stood still for me and you

User avatar
felltir
has a sniper scope and a trigger finger.
Posts: 2493
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:01 pm UTC
Location: Back in't home town. Never at home.
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread

Postby felltir » Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:42 am UTC

Lolsaur wrote:With no opposable thumbs, holding soap or a shampoo bottle is quite a feat in itself, so kudos to you.


It's BLOODY HARD! why is nothing in this world suitable for hooves! I can barely manage anything without help! It's BLATANT speciesism!

[/rant]
Spoiler:
RoadieRich wrote:He's a super flexible furry martial artist from London. She is a Rabbit breeding mad scientist from Michigan. They fight crime!
The Great Hippo wrote:I THINK THE SOLAR SYSTEM MIGHT BE AN ATOM OF OXYGEN.


Blog

he/him/his

User avatar
Lolsaur
Posts: 630
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:40 pm UTC
Location: Stonehaven, Scotland
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread

Postby Lolsaur » Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:45 am UTC

Unless, you had magnetic shoes put on your hooves. Then, you could just put a piece of metal on the shampoo bottle or inside the bar of soap, making it much easier to lift.

Too crazy?
Worst Fight Scene Ever

This cosy, special made for this Teapot

Spoiler:
You've never looked better than you did that night
And your eyes have never looked so blue
And when we kissed it was like nothing else existed
As time stood still for me and you

User avatar
felltir
has a sniper scope and a trigger finger.
Posts: 2493
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:01 pm UTC
Location: Back in't home town. Never at home.
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread

Postby felltir » Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:51 am UTC

Lolsaur wrote:Unless, you had magnetic shoes put on your hooves. Then, you could just put a piece of metal on the shampoo bottle or inside the bar of soap, making it much easier to lift.

Too crazy?


Antelopes can't have shoes on our hooves. Doesn't work. Cloven hooves.

Also, imagine stepping on a grate.
Spoiler:
RoadieRich wrote:He's a super flexible furry martial artist from London. She is a Rabbit breeding mad scientist from Michigan. They fight crime!
The Great Hippo wrote:I THINK THE SOLAR SYSTEM MIGHT BE AN ATOM OF OXYGEN.


Blog

he/him/his

User avatar
Lolsaur
Posts: 630
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:40 pm UTC
Location: Stonehaven, Scotland
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread

Postby Lolsaur » Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:53 am UTC

Ah, my bad. Don't know me animals very well.

Well, I'd recognise a good many, but I wouldn't know much about any of them.

Although, antelopes and cloven hooves is probably common knowledge.

I'll be quiet now and go sit in the corner....
Worst Fight Scene Ever

This cosy, special made for this Teapot

Spoiler:
You've never looked better than you did that night
And your eyes have never looked so blue
And when we kissed it was like nothing else existed
As time stood still for me and you

User avatar
Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...
Posts: 6440
Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:15 pm UTC
Location: Beyond the goblin city
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread

Postby Moo » Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:54 am UTC

Solution: get someone to do all that annoying picking things up and lathering for you.
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

User avatar
felltir
has a sniper scope and a trigger finger.
Posts: 2493
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:01 pm UTC
Location: Back in't home town. Never at home.
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread

Postby felltir » Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:02 pm UTC

Moo wrote:Solution: get someone to do all that annoying picking things up and lathering for you.


I do! :D
Spoiler:
RoadieRich wrote:He's a super flexible furry martial artist from London. She is a Rabbit breeding mad scientist from Michigan. They fight crime!
The Great Hippo wrote:I THINK THE SOLAR SYSTEM MIGHT BE AN ATOM OF OXYGEN.


Blog

he/him/his

User avatar
Lolsaur
Posts: 630
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:40 pm UTC
Location: Stonehaven, Scotland
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread

Postby Lolsaur » Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:28 pm UTC

That's...not an image I really wanted, Felltir....

Also, I know you're name should be said "felt ear" but I can't help but say it "fell tear", because of the double L in there.

GET IT SORTED!! :P
Worst Fight Scene Ever

This cosy, special made for this Teapot

Spoiler:
You've never looked better than you did that night
And your eyes have never looked so blue
And when we kissed it was like nothing else existed
As time stood still for me and you


Return to “General”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 25 guests