Hype your ripe snipes 'n' gripes

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

ACU-LP

Re: Rant Thread

Postby ACU-LP » Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:32 am UTC

Ramses IV wrote:
Gojoe wrote:Stupid laptop! I wanted to just jump on here on my week off. Now I can barely do anything. Damn it to hell!
benjhuey wrote:Stupid laptop! Connect to the network! I know it's there, you're just being lazy.
Stupid laptop! I just....wait, oh that's right! I don't own a laptop! I spent all my money to get an awesome PC, which has proven to be a disastrous decision.
Or you could get a super awesome laptop that can play modern computer games at high graphics; that is a distraction because you can play even when on the move. Or in class.
I Am Raven wrote:Math is like a penis: it can be very satisfactory, but also a pain in the ass.
Red vs Blue wrote:Wash: That was the worst throw ever. Of all time.
Caboose: Not my fault. Someone put a wall in my way.

micco

Postby micco » Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:09 am UTC

Stupid steam not accepting visa electron anymore.
An anarchist is a person that makes oatmeal and blows it up.

|Erasmus|
Branson

Postby |Erasmus| » Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:17 am UTC

ACU-LP wrote:Or you could get a super awesome laptop that can play modern computer games at high graphics; that is a distraction because you can play even when on the move. Or in class.

Until your battery goes dead from gaming in 5 seconds flat. I have spent a fair bit of time at uni finishing most of the portal challenge levels though, instead of going to lectures.

Lolsaur

Postby Lolsaur » Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:29 pm UTC

fransisco4 wrote:Fuck Paolini. I read through the last hundreds of pages wondering how you were going to solve all the unfinished plot points in just a couple of pages, and then i learn you were going to do a fourth book. It was even called a trilogy on the first one! Fuck you.

This.

Definitely this.

First book, food. Second book, rushed. Third book, I only read because I hate leaving a series unfinished. I will read the 4th book, but I doubt I will enjoy it terribly well.
Worst Fight Scene Ever

This cosy, special made for this Teapot

Spoiler:
You've never looked better than you did that night
And your eyes have never looked so blue
And when we kissed it was like nothing else existed
As time stood still for me and you

Awia

Postby Awia » Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:18 pm UTC

micco wrote:Stupid steam not accepting visa electron anymore.
But, I just got a bank account so I can buy stuff from steam, the bastards!
Francis wrote:Look on the bright side, if you all die I'll still be handsome

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:24 pm UTC

Paypal is the way to go.

Well, if the Steam checkout wasn't a piece of putrid excrement. It made me miss buying AudioSurf for £1 because it's lame and buggy. Took me hours just to buy Half-Life, too.

Insignificant Deifaction
Small Goddess

Postby Insignificant Deifaction » Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:27 pm UTC

As an aside, I looked up this Paolini fellow.

He doesn't have Protection from Editors, which means it is entirely possible he didn't have a choice about the fourth book (may have made a mega book that they ordered him to split).

This is all just conjecture. Maybe he really is just a douche bag (which I am told is accurate to his writing ability).
Belial wrote:You are giving me the tools to sodomize my vast imagination, and for this I am grateful.

PM Me, if you care for a chat.

Awia

Postby Awia » Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:30 pm UTC

I read somewhere that the 3rd book was supposed to be the finish, but It got too long, so he split it into 2 books so it was a more reasonable length.

Sarr

Postby Sarr » Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:34 pm UTC

Insignificant Deifaction wrote:(which I am told is accurate to his writing ability).
Basically, yes. It's Star Wars, there's no two ways about it. Best way I've seen it put is "It's like someone watched all of Star Wars while reading a book on 'How to write bad fantasy by abusing Tolkienesque cliches', and was all "WILL IT BLEND?"
Rakysh wrote:Basically, xkcd is basically for punching into submission the dumb frat guy in your brain.

Awia

Postby Awia » Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:43 pm UTC

Sarr wrote:"WILL IT BLEND?"
Jury is still out on if it did or not.

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:07 pm UTC

Sarr wrote:
Insignificant Deifaction wrote:(which I am told is accurate to his writing ability).
Basically, yes. It's Star Wars, there's no two ways about it. Best way I've seen it put is "It's like someone watched all of Star Wars while reading a book on 'How to write bad fantasy by abusing Tolkienesque cliches', and was all "WILL IT BLEND?"

I typed out a half-page vague (ie, no proper nouns) summary of A New Hope and showed it to an Eragon fan. They admitted they couldn't tell which work I was describing.

I haven't read the third one yet, and I have no intention to do so.
http://www.geekyhumanist.blogspot.com -- Science and the Concerned Voter
Belial wrote:You are the coolest guy that ever cooled.

I reiterate. Coolest. Guy.

Well. You heard him.

Sarr

Postby Sarr » Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:24 pm UTC

Sir_Elderberry wrote:I haven't read the third one yet, and I have no intention to do so.
Ah, don't you just love those ponies?
Rakysh wrote:Basically, xkcd is basically for punching into submission the dumb frat guy in your brain.

Mo0man

Postby Mo0man » Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:08 pm UTC

I should point out that the publishing company belongs to his parents, so any decision to make more money split the third book in two was almost entirely his own
causa major dormuc vulnero ut ovis goatee
I'm number 20075. Remember that. It's important

xulaus

Postby xulaus » Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:58 pm UTC

Sarr wrote:
Sir_Elderberry wrote:I haven't read the third one yet, and I have no intention to do so.
Ah, don't you just love those ponies?
I certainly do
Meaux_Pas wrote:I don't even know who the fuck this guy is

Awia

Postby Awia » Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:20 am UTC

Mo0man wrote:I should point out that the publishing company belongs to his parents, so any decision to make more money split the third book in two was almost entirely his own
Not any more, he was picked up by Alfred A. Knopf in America, I forget England.

cyberia

Postby cyberia » Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:49 am UTC

Lolsaur wrote:
Spoiler:
fransisco4 wrote:Fuck Paolini. I read through the last hundreds of pages wondering how you were going to solve all the unfinished plot points in just a couple of pages, and then i learn you were going to do a fourth book. It was even called a trilogy on the first one! Fuck you.

This.

Definitely this.

First book, food. Second book, rushed. Third book, I only read because I hate leaving a series unfinished. I will read the 4th book, but I doubt I will enjoy it terribly well.

Rly? I've never been that hungry. [/snark]
The patron saint of self-injury. And the glitter sores will heal themselves.

"Somebody said, 'every moment of your life, of everybody's lives, is an unpremeditated work of art'. That's creativity, that's all I know about creativity."

Sarr

Postby Sarr » Sun Dec 21, 2008 4:39 am UTC

Really it's the only thing I can think of using it for. I mean, I'd never READ it. :P

Torvaun

Postby Torvaun » Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:08 am UTC

You could press leaves.
Hawknc wrote:I don't know if you've never heard of trolling, or if you're just very good at it.

ACU-LP

Postby ACU-LP » Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:30 am UTC

|Erasmus| wrote:
ACU-LP wrote:Or you could get a super awesome laptop that can play modern computer games at high graphics; that is a distraction because you can play even when on the move. Or in class.
Until your battery goes dead from gaming in 5 seconds flat. I have spent a fair bit of time at uni finishing most of the portal challenge levels though, instead of going to lectures.
I think playing halo 2 (not a super modern game, but you get the point) for about an hour on the train is pretty decent. And I only stop then because I have run out of train line.
I Am Raven wrote:Math is like a penis: it can be very satisfactory, but also a pain in the ass.

scikidus

Postby scikidus » Sun Dec 21, 2008 4:56 pm UTC

So Friday was my last day of school and we were supposed to drive up to VT to go skiing right after school ended but then this huge snowstorm hit and FUCK I want to go skiing but now we ahd to wait untilSaturday to leave dammit and anyway it was worse because the snow was fun so my friends and I had a huge snowball fight which was awesome but I wanted to be in VT and then we went over to a friend's house and watched Back to the Future and I'll I'm thinking about is VT and I'm really tired so I becoem insanely anti-social and my friedns get all worried about me but whatever so then it's Saturday and we leave at 10:30 to go up but the roads are really bad fromt he snow so it takes four hours longer to get to VT FUCK FUCK FUCK so now we've lost 24 hours of our ski week and now we're her ebut it's blizzarding out so we can't ski DAMMIT I did the math assuming a week is 2% of a year then I spend about 0.4% of my year skiing and now that's beign taken away from meeeee FUCK FUCK FUCK GRRR WHY?
Happy hollandaise!

"The universe is a figment of its own imagination" -Douglas Adams

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Sun Dec 21, 2008 5:54 pm UTC

thecommabandit wrote:Paypal is the way to go.

Well, if the Steam checkout wasn't a piece of putrid excrement.

I maintain my view. I just tried to by S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl from it (weekend deal: £3.50) and it told me an unexpected error occurred. Then a popup popped telling me I had an email from PayPal. The email then states that the transaction was successful. WHAT TRANSACTION?! I DIDN'T BUY ANYTHING! STEAM FUCKED IT UP.
Then I go to submit a support ticket. I type my whole thing up, being very clinical and detached about it. Then I press submit. "Before you submit your support ticket, here are some relevant articles we found." No they're not. One is about fucking port forwarding, another about graphical requirements and I was too enraged to look at the other one. THEY'RE NOT EVEN IN THE SAME FUCKING CATEGORY! "BILLING" HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS OR PORTS FORWARDING YOU CUNTMUNCHERS. THEN, when I click submit, it asks me to log in. I roll my eyes and log in. And then... nothing. I'm at the main page of the support site. FUCK YOU. YOU CAN'T HANDLE MY PAYMENTS AND NOW YOU CAN'T EVEN DEAL WITH MY COMPLAINT?! GO SUCK ON OBLIVION! SRSLY.

I eventually got the complaint through but now I just have to wait for someone to pull their finger out of their arse and reply.

Goddamnit, I should've just pirated it.

Awia

Postby Awia » Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:10 pm UTC

You've got to wonder why they haven't fixed it, they must get a lot of complaints about it.

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:21 pm UTC

Addendum: I emerged from my Garry's Mod shenanigans to find that it had been added to the My Games list. Hurrah! Steam support dudes work quickly, at least.

|Erasmus|
Branson

Postby |Erasmus| » Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:22 pm UTC

ACU-LP wrote:
|Erasmus| wrote:
I think playing halo 2 (not a super modern game, but you get the point) for about an hour on the train is pretty decent. And I only stop then because I have run out of train line.

I was chewing through my 9 cell battery in about an hour trying to play portal with the screen brightness turned right down. With a 14" monitor and less power-hungry specs in general than yours.

Awia

Postby Awia » Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:52 pm UTC

What we clearly need is better batteries and less power hungry electronics.

Sarr

Postby Sarr » Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:02 pm UTC

Hey you. Listen up. You're a new 40k player so you should learn some fucking ground rules. Acting like a bitch and whining is not going to make you any friends. You gave everyone a bloody bad mood by the end of the game, to the point that I though someone was gonna hit you. Learn some sportsmanship or fuck off.

Not directed at anyone who reads these fora, BTW.

ACU-LP

Postby ACU-LP » Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:17 pm UTC

|Erasmus| wrote:
ACU-LP wrote:
|Erasmus| wrote:
I was chewing through my 9 cell battery in about an hour trying to play portal with the screen brightness turned right down. With a 14" monitor and less power-hungry specs in general than yours.
Interesting. Bad battery? The reviews on my laptop say that the only problem is battery life; that doing nothing it only lasts 1.5 hours (and I mean nothing other than being on), whereas mine lasts two and a bit hours doing stuff. I figured I got a really good battery. Maybe you got a bad one?
Damn vista updates; now I have to plug in my mouse twice to be able to use it. I mean, what the fuck is that about?

Chai Kovsky

Postby Chai Kovsky » Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:39 pm UTC

Rant: Why are all the good food places on Sunset closing? First you took away the last good steakhouse in Hollywood to replace it with YET ANOTHER sushi joint, and now CPK is gone. The only other CPK in this part of town is in a mall with EXTREMELY expensive parking where street parking is usually taken up because it's RIGHT ACROSS THE STREET FROM A FUCKING HOSPITAL! So, eager to get my pizza-y goodness, I park six blocks away on the opposite side of the mall and decide to cut through to save time. I am rewarded with an assault on my senses dedicated to the Christmas season. Helpful hint, mall people? You're in the part of Los Angeles where we're all fucking Jewish! Believe it or not, most of us don't want to hear the 10,000th rendition of "Santa, Baby," a song I used to like before you bastards played it to death by dedicating half the channels on the radio to Christmas music since I finished my turkey leftovers in November and thus rendering radio as a whole practically unlistenable.

tl;dr The following people can go fuck themselves:
-Restaurateurs on Sunset
-Larcenous parking centers
-Mall-owners
-Radio DJs
Spoiler:
kellsbells wrote:¡This Chai is burning me!
Chai Kovsky wrote:I can kill you with my brain.

That is all.
superglucose wrote:In other words: LISTEN TO CHAI.
Delayra wrote:Yet another brilliant idea from Chai!

I <3 Pirate.Bondage!

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:47 pm UTC

eternal luna wrote:I am a worse person than you.

Sez you. I think it's time for a good ol' fashioned Worse-Off, where the victor will be championed as the worst person ever.

...no, I'm not actually suggesting that, for fear that someone other than me would win and then I'd feel bad for essentially proving with SCIENCE! that they are indisputably a bad person.

Sir_Elderberry wrote:I typed out a half-page vague (ie, no proper nouns) summary of A New Hope and showed it to an Eragon fan. They admitted they couldn't tell which work I was describing.
Given that A New Hope was written to basically hit as many points as it could of Joseph Campbell's monomyth, it's kinda hard to find any Epic Mythic Tale of an individual that isn't also Star Wars.

I'm not saying the Eragon guy isn't a hack, I'm just pointing out that Luke is also Oedipus and Odysseus. And Hellboy. And Jesus. And Krishna. And pretty much every mythological figure out there and most fantasy protagonists as well. And Batman.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Zak

Postby Zak » Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:58 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:I'm just pointing out that Luke is also Oedipus and Odysseus. And Hellboy. And Jesus. And Krishna. And pretty much every mythological figure out there and most fantasy protagonists as well. And Batman.

No. Batman is in a league of his own.
*waggles eyebrows*

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:16 pm UTC

Pfft. Batman was called in when his parents were killed. He proceeded to face a great many trials, at first alone, then with others that he gathered to him. With the amount of Batman stories told over the years, you can probably find a specific adventure that meets every single one of the Monomyth points.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

|Erasmus|
Branson

Postby |Erasmus| » Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:12 pm UTC

ACU-LP wrote:Interesting. Bad battery? The reviews on my laptop say that the only problem is battery life; that doing nothing it only lasts 1.5 hours (and I mean nothing other than being on), whereas mine lasts two and a bit hours doing stuff. I figured I got a really good battery. Maybe you got a bad one?
Damn vista updates; now I have to plug in my mouse twice to be able to use it. I mean, what the fuck is that about?

I get over 5 under normal conditions, which is with web-browsing and other uni stuff, so the battery is quite good. When I start gaming, I'm lucky if I can get past an hour, though.

This is pretty consistent with the other laptops my friends have. Yours is sounding like the anomaly if you get the claimed battery life... ;)

Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread

Postby Sungura » Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:20 pm UTC

I can rant here? AWESOME. I wish I had this thread all throughout the semester but I don't venture into general here much.
Rant #1: My grad school has the crappiest grading system. What in undergrad would have gotten me a 3.5 gave me a 3.0 (4.0 scale).
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/<any gender neutral>/snug

ACU-LP

Postby ACU-LP » Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:26 am UTC

Rant: People having that extra gap between the quote and proceeding text. Sure, it may look awful when you're writing the reply, but when its posted, the page length it shorter and better looking.
Rant2: I know I have no say in a matter like this, and that it may just stir up controversy.

Separate rant: You bitch at me for not leaving your tea to stand with the teabag for more than 3 minutes, then when I haven't brought it to you in two minutes from pouring the water, you bitch at me for not bringing it to you....?!

Ramses IV

Postby Ramses IV » Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:28 am UTC

ACU-LP wrote:Rant: People having that extra gap between the quote and proceeding text. Sure, it may look awful when you're writing the reply, but when its posted, the page length it shorter and better looking.
Rant2: I know I have no say in a matter like this, and that it may just stir up controversy.

Separate rant: You bitch at me for not leaving your tea to stand with the teabag for more than 3 minutes, then when I haven't brought it to you in two minutes from pouring the water, you bitch at me for not bringing it to you....?!
Wow. Way to just, you know, steal Cheese's thing.
My Blag

benjhuey wrote:Ramses IV is dead to me, though I don't know how I didn't notice he had already been dead for 3000 years. Ancient Egyptian magic or somethin'.

eternal luna

Postby eternal luna » Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:29 am UTC

Bring it to them with the teabag. Also, what is with all this recent complaining about quot tags? Sheesh, is it really that big of a deal?
Alexius:-Охуели? Нахуя дохуя хуйний нахуярили? Расхуяривай нахуй!
-Хули? Нихуя! Нехуй расхуяривать! Нахуячено нехуёво! Похуярили!
Gojoe: We are all inferior to you luna.

Awia

Postby Awia » Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:36 am UTC

eternal luna wrote:Also, what is with all this recent complaining about quot tags? Sheesh, is it really that big of a deal?
For someone who craves neatness, yes it is. :D

Though I just do this, so you can find the end of the quote easier.

Code: Select all

[quote]Quoted stuff
[/quote]Reply
It gives the same effect.

ACU-LP

Postby ACU-LP » Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:42 am UTC

Also, I didn't steal it from Cheese, I was converted just after I joined.

Ramses IV

Postby Ramses IV » Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:48 am UTC

ACU-LP wrote:Also, I didn't steal it from Cheese, I was converted just after I joined.
And I'm sure it's a total coincidence Cheese mentioned this maybe 30 seconds before?
My Blag

benjhuey wrote:Ramses IV is dead to me, though I don't know how I didn't notice he had already been dead for 3000 years. Ancient Egyptian magic or somethin'.

Zak

Postby Zak » Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:23 am UTC

Y'know what I hate?

Stuff.

Oh! And extraneous question marks. Hate 'em.
*waggles eyebrows*

Return to “General”