Hype your ripe snipes 'n' gripes

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Re: Rant Thread

Postby SecondTalon » Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:23 am UTC

Quixotess wrote:Huh, I didn't realize the word had bad history. I was sort of tickled by it, but I've never used it before now, promise.

Is it something like people coming in to comment threads on blogs and posting "[crazy conspiracy theory] WAKE UP, SHEEPLE!"?

Pretty much. Or following.. pretty much anything, really, will get some fucknugget calling you that.

"Wake up, you sheeple! The feminist movement is totally about devouring the genitals of our unborn sons!"

and that doesn't even make any goddamn sense.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Quixotess
No. Cookies.

Postby Quixotess » Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:26 am UTC

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:No, Jesse's just not a fan of bad puns (bah - sheeple. geddit?)

OOOOOOOooohhhhhhhh...*lightbulb* I did not see that at all.

SecondTalon wrote:Pretty much. Or following.. pretty much anything, really, will get some fucknugget calling you that.

"Wake up, you sheeple! The feminist movement is totally about devouring the genitals of our unborn sons!"

and that doesn't even make any goddamn sense.

Eh, I'd try anything once.
Raise up the torch and light the way.

Chai Kovsky

Postby Chai Kovsky » Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:29 am UTC

With some fava beans and a nice Chianti?
Spoiler:
kellsbells wrote:¡This Chai is burning me!
Chai Kovsky wrote:I can kill you with my brain.

That is all.
superglucose wrote:In other words: LISTEN TO CHAI.
Delayra wrote:Yet another brilliant idea from Chai!

I <3 Pirate.Bondage!

felltir
has a sniper scope and a trigger finger.

Postby felltir » Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:32 am UTC

RAAAAAARGH RAAAAAARGH RRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH!

I'M. NOT. BEING. ABUSED.

I LOVE MY LIFE. I WANT YOU TO KNOW THAT! :evil:
Spoiler:
RoadieRich wrote:He's a super flexible furry martial artist from London. She is a Rabbit breeding mad scientist from Michigan. They fight crime!
The Great Hippo wrote:I THINK THE SOLAR SYSTEM MIGHT BE AN ATOM OF OXYGEN.

Blog

he/him/his

roc314
Is dead, and you have killed him

Postby roc314 » Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:52 am UTC

Felltir wrote:RAAAAAARGH RAAAAAARGH RRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH!

I'M. NOT. BEING. ABUSED.

I LOVE MY LIFE. I WANT YOU TO KNOW THAT! :evil:
May I point out the almost irony of your rant? In a thread that is usually about how shitty life is being, having a rant about how you love you life is kind of out of place.

Of course, needing to rant about how you love your life is much better for all involved than needing to rant about how you hate your life.
Hippo: roc is the good little communist that lurks in us all
Richard Stallman: Geeks like to think that they can ignore politics, you can leave politics alone, but politics won't leave you alone.
suffer-cait: roc's a pretty cool dude

ACU-LP

Postby ACU-LP » Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:00 am UTC

Damn you customer, you ruined my day. You dare come into this store again and I will kill you. You have absolutely no sense. You try to trick us out of our money, then scream and shout at us. You try your best to screw up as much as possible in one fell swoop. Then, when your argument is damn near lost, you pretend not to speak english properly so you can't be proven wrong.
Get. The. Fuck. Out.
I Am Raven wrote:Math is like a penis: it can be very satisfactory, but also a pain in the ass.
Red vs Blue wrote:Wash: That was the worst throw ever. Of all time.
Caboose: Not my fault. Someone put a wall in my way.

felltir

Postby felltir » Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:05 am UTC

Why does what I rant about matter? I can be happy and rant! :)
Spoiler:
RoadieRich wrote:He's a super flexible furry martial artist from London. She is a Rabbit breeding mad scientist from Michigan. They fight crime!

Blog

he/him/his

roc314

Postby roc314 » Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:25 am UTC

Felltir wrote:Why does what I rant about matter? I can be happy and rant! :)
I have a weird sense of humor. Apparently it includes unusual dichotomies in emotion.

Rant: Oi, younger brother. If you are going to loudly (and badly sing), could you please at least learn more than one line of the song? Hearing the same 10 words over and over gets obnoxious.
Richard Stallman: Geeks like to think that they can ignore politics, you can leave politics alone, but politics won't leave you alone.

Chai Kovsky

Postby Chai Kovsky » Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:52 am UTC

Fuck you and your passive-aggressive bullshit. You fucked up a good thing with your antagonism and had the cojones to blame me and turn your girlfriend against me in that argument. Fuck. You. I hate you more than I can possibly say. I have never, ever felt so violent towards a person. You're lucky as hell you're 50 miles away and it's almost midnight and I'm too tired to find your house and kick the ever-loving shit out of you.

I hate myself, too, for having to block both of them to try to get away from that hurt and knowing that she won't understand why I did it and will think less of me for it. And I hate that I'm crying over someone I said I wouldn't get attached over. And I hate myself for being right about him in the first place and not trusting my instincts when they told me to run.

Dammit. Motherfucking dammit.
Spoiler:

That is all.

I <3 Pirate.Bondage!

Zak

Postby Zak » Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:58 am UTC

*pats on the back*
*waggles eyebrows*

mochafairy

Postby mochafairy » Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:13 am UTC

*hugs*

rant: I fucking hate how they put me with him and expect it to all be okay and when I try to come up with any excuse to not go, they don't fucking get it. :evil:
"YES. DO IT WITH CONFIDENCE" ~fortune cookie

roc314

Postby roc314 » Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:16 am UTC

I have sympathy for you. That has to suck a lot.

Quixotess
No. Cookies.

Postby Quixotess » Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:29 am UTC

Mocha, sweetie, I've just been assuming that the problem is the history (which is a huge fucking problem, don't get me wrong) and that he doesn't do anything currently. But you know that if you feel like you're in danger because you're alone, or for any reason really, I can give you my phone number and be there with you. Okay?

kellsbells
Queen of Cupcakes

Postby kellsbells » Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:40 am UTC

I agree completely! I am generally in a pretty good mood, but that doesn't invalidate my rants! A rant can be a rant, regardless. Also, oh my goodness Felltir is back and I am so so happy.

Er, I mean... continue with your anger, everyone.
A good pun is its own reword.
L wrote:A day without kells is a day not worth living.

mochafairy

Postby mochafairy » Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:42 am UTC

i know. It's more of me being paranoid and other's not thinking.

however, bringing up the issue will lead to more pain and all people involved thinking i'm an attention whore... :?

felltir

Postby felltir » Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:44 am UTC

kellsbells wrote:
I agree completely! I am generally in a pretty good mood, but that doesn't invalidate my rants! A rant can be a rant, regardless. Also, oh my goodness Felltir is back and I am so so happy.

Er, I mean... continue with your anger, everyone.

*hugs*
Spoiler:

Blog

he/him/his

Quixotess
No. Cookies.

Postby Quixotess » Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:59 am UTC

Sh'yeah, if by "paranoid" you mean "sane." People are always telling me about the definition of insanity, so I know that it is doing the same thing and expecting different results. Apply as necessary to your experience, your current feelings, and the obvious conclusions about your clarity of mind and intelligence.

mochafairy

Postby mochafairy » Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:31 am UTC

thanks, Quix.

Oh, and I hate it when someone sneaks up behind me in the middle of the night. nearly gave me a heart attack...

Alder

Postby Alder » Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:32 pm UTC

Gah. A week of antibiotics, and this chest infection thing is still not properly clear. I've had it up to here!!! Makes a gesture somewhere above her head...

Anyway - here's a batch of hugs in a variety of sizes for anyone who needs them - *hugs* *HUGS* *hugs* *Hugs* *hugs*

Retires to her plastic bubble before she infects anyone else.
Plasma Man wrote:I might have to get rid of some of my breadbins.

Kulantan wrote:I feel a great disturbance in the Fora, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and then kinda trailed off to a grumble.

scikidus

Postby scikidus » Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:19 pm UTC

Alder26 wrote:Gah. A week of antibiotics, and this chest infection thing is still not properly clear. I've had it up to here!!! Makes a gesture somewhere above her head...

Anyway - here's a batch of hugs in a variety of sizes for anyone who needs them - *hugs* *HUGS* *hugs* *Hugs* *hugs*

Retires to her plastic bubble before she infects anyone else.

That sucks. I used to get sinus infections about every other week or so, so I know how that is. Thankfully, last March I got my adnoids out, and the problem is almost better.

*nearly chokes on mucus*

Well, almost better. ;)

-------

[rant]
I truly hate staying in hotel rooms. I got no sleep last night. Grr.
[/rant]

*thinks*

[rant]
Why did I write such a sucky rant? Grr! I've always been so paranoid, and so worrying. I'm still in high school, but there's a ton of pressure. On the other hand, I'm hapy that I've discovered these fora, because now I feel like I fit in.
[probably boring backround]
A tad over a year ago now, I joined my first forum, the Church of Google, which is an atheist forum. I have had lots of fun there, but after a while, it's been getting boring. I've been there for a year now, and I'm debating moving on. However, the forum is stagnating, and I feel bad. I rememebr how last year there were dozens of crazy religious people tryign to force various zombies and New Age BS down our throats, and how we would skillfully destroy them. However, now, everyone's moved onm, save a small group of us. I consider myself rather friendly with them, but there's nothing to talk about anymore. I tried joining Dawkins fora for a bit, but it was overwhleming.
[/probably boring backround]
Then I found here, xkcd fora. It challenged me intellectually, satisfied my lazy side, let me comment on some of my favorite comics, and meet soem really cool people. However, everywhere, I've always been a big fish in a small pond. THis si a big pond. There are thousands of accounts registered here that have made only a handful of posts before disappearing forever. I'd like to stick around.
[/rant]

*thinks*

[rant]
My rants suck. I suck at ranting.
[/rant]
Happy hollandaise!

"The universe is a figment of its own imagination" -Douglas Adams

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:40 pm UTC

Quixotess wrote:Sh'yeah, if by "paranoid" you mean "sane." People are always telling me about the definition of insanity, so I know that it is doing the same thing and expecting different results. Apply as necessary to your experience, your current feelings, and the obvious conclusions about your clarity of mind and intelligence.

I never liked that definition because it only applies when you're dealing with inanimate objects.

For example, I walk up to a strange man on a Tuesday morning at 8:45am on the street downtown and slap him. Odds are pretty good I'm not going to get in a fight with the guy, because he's going to be too bewildered, shocked, and frankly running late for work to do much more than "The fuck?"

Especially if I run like hell.

Next day, same time, same guy, same situation... dude's likely going to be on his guard and not let me that close to him unless I sneak up on him. If I manage to slap him, odds are he's going to take a swing at me, or something like that. So let's assume I do, he does, and I run like hell. Guy still isn't going to chase me or anything because.. again.. late for work.

Next day, same time, same guy, same situation... it's likely the dude's going to have called the cops at this point. If there's an officer there, I'm going to get arrested for assault and harassment.

Exact same action down to the same person and same time of day, three different results.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Chai Kovsky

Postby Chai Kovsky » Sat Dec 27, 2008 3:42 pm UTC

scikidus wrote:[rant]
Why did I write such a sucky rant? Grr! I've always been so paranoid, and so worrying. I'm still in high school, but there's a ton of pressure. On the other hand, I'm hapy that I've discovered these fora, because now I feel like I fit in.
You'll get more practice at ranting and become quite excellent at it. :) Anyway, I'm glad you like these fora. In a lot of ways this place is more of a home to many of us than our meatspace situations. I have a feeling that if we were all in the same place it would just be like a crazy extended family (and indeed, you seem to see that with the Cambervillains). These are good people and the opinions are diverse enough that you can always argue over something.

*thinks* You know, you guys, I still think we should have an xkcd con. It would be sweet!
Spoiler:

That is all.

I <3 Pirate.Bondage!

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sat Dec 27, 2008 3:47 pm UTC

We did. I wasn't there. Gordon and Ren were.

Chfan

Postby Chfan » Sat Dec 27, 2008 3:50 pm UTC

God my fucking fingers hurt. Why the hell did GH: WT decide to make sets? I just got through the Tool set and both my mind and fingers are shot...damn it hurts to type...
Just FYI, the guy isn't avatar isn't me. But he seems pretty cool.

Chai Kovsky

Postby Chai Kovsky » Sat Dec 27, 2008 3:53 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:We did. I wasn't there. Gordon and Ren were.
Grr. I'm going to have to go into Boston or some such, since that seems where the highest concentration of xkcdians are. They all have the good sense to stay out of LA.
Spoiler:

That is all.

I <3 Pirate.Bondage!

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sat Dec 27, 2008 4:03 pm UTC

Indeed. Though, both Gordon and Ren are from the icy north. Same as Mighty and Jessica. And supposedly Real Grouchy, but I'm thinking he's just a conglomeration of the world's grouchyness distilled into a semi-tangible being that.. lives in Canada.

Awia

Postby Awia » Sat Dec 27, 2008 4:10 pm UTC

Those sorts of things always happen in Canada.
Francis wrote:Look on the bright side, if you all die I'll still be handsome

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sat Dec 27, 2008 4:15 pm UTC

Sheila: Well, blame Canada
Everyone: Blame Canada
Sheila: It seems that everything's gone wrong
Since Canada came along
Everyone: Blame Canada
Blame Canada
Copy Guy: They're not even a real country anyway

Kythyria

Postby Kythyria » Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:46 pm UTC

I hate children's stories that say love is the most important thing in the world. It isn't: it's just a quirk of evolution intended to make sure that a breeding pair stays a pair long enough to properly raise children. The same goes for using anything other than cold logic to achieve your goals. It's fine to pick those goals by emotional means, but not to achieve them that way.

I hate Tolkienesque elves, the tall, pointy-eared ones that live stupidly long lives in forests not doing very much except possibly mope about the long-past golden age instead of trying to construct one. They don't seem to have much technology, or even use the magic they have. They're just annoyingly perfect.

I hate my computer being far too slow for 3D animation. Particularly the way Blender seems to slow down enormously when the difference between the sizes of the largest and smallest objects is too great.

I hate eco-nuts who think that "but people shouldn't be driving" and variants are good responses to "hey, someone's developed a commercially viable electric car. cool!". Do all "enviromentalists" eventually degenerate into primitivists? In my view "civilisation and particularly technology is evil" is not a valid doctrine. Eco-nuts seem to think technology should be avoided because -gasp- it uses "the Earth's precious resources", rather than taking the much more realistic view that non-green technology should be optimised the hell out of until it's green. Part of my attitude to "green" is this:
Jerry Pournelle wrote:We don't live on "only one Earth". If we want to, we can live in a system of nine planets, eighteen moons, thousands of asteroids, and a very large thermonuclear reactor/energy source.

I hate having to sleep. All that time I could be doing things in, I have to spend unconscious.

Edit: Furthermore, I hate the way phpBB has a bug where it randomly omits the content from a page, as well as the stylesheet. It's happened both with Gecko and KHTML, so it presumably isn't a browser bug.
Maurog wrote:I prefer "If God didn't want us to have X, He wouldn't have given us brains", with X being any human invention except religion.

Hoags

Postby Hoags » Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:43 am UTC

Fuck you SMF. Fuck you MySQL that deletes all my tables for reasons I don't understand. Fuck you hosting service that gives me not quite enough space. Fuck.

Cherry Kiss
¡This cheese is burning me!

Postby Cherry Kiss » Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:48 pm UTC

<insert rant on my mother>

Sorry. I am highly fucking irrate. I would really really like to say all of the things i want to say but last time i did my browser errored out and i lost the whole thing. Lots of effort wasted. So, fuck that, and fuck you.

Keeping it short and simple with a GO TO FUCKING HELL YOU WHOOOOORE!!!

There, I kinda feel better already.
...KInda
What they call love is a risk,
'Cause you will always get hit
Out of nowhere by some wave
And end up on your own.

Cytoplasm

Postby Cytoplasm » Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:33 am UTC

My dog is not a rat..she is not a ratdog, a sewer rat, a hamster, or even a gerbil. She is a small, fluffy pom that happens to be adorable in my opinion and she makes me smile even when she is attempting to tongue me (which is not something to smile about). I have to pretend to lighten up but after some time the joke gets old..she's my baby dog, dog, dog, dog, dog, dog, dog, dog, dog. She's not a cat either!
And mother please stop mentioning the red bone insident..I really thought I might have damaged her. bleh.
¡No tengo miedo a fantasmas!

Spoiler:
Cytoplasm: I have catoragized some of my family into lolcats.
Felstaff: For a drudging Thursday afternoon, that level of cuteness has really made my day. Can... Can I keep you?

Felstaff wrote:
Cytoplasm wrote:shannonigans

<3

Torvaun

Postby Torvaun » Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:43 am UTC

Cytoplasm wrote:My dog is not a rat..she is not a ratdog, a sewer rat, a hamster, or even a gerbil. She is a small, fluffy pom that happens to be adorable in my opinion and she makes me smile even when she is attempting to tongue me (which is not something to smile about). I have to pretend to lighten up but after some time the joke gets old..she's my baby dog, dog, dog, dog, dog, dog, dog, dog, dog. She's not a cat either!
And mother please stop mentioning the red bone insident..I really thought I might have damaged her. bleh.
Squirrel?
Hawknc wrote:I don't know if you've never heard of trolling, or if you're just very good at it.

mochafairy

Postby mochafairy » Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:05 am UTC

Cytoplasm wrote:My dog is not a rat..she is not a ratdog, a sewer rat, a hamster, or even a gerbil. She is a small, fluffy pom that happens to be adorable in my opinion and she makes me smile even when she is attempting to tongue me (which is not something to smile about). I have to pretend to lighten up but after some time the joke gets old..she's my baby dog, dog, dog, dog, dog, dog, dog, dog, dog. She's not a cat either!

my family teases me about my pom too... :roll:

Quixotess
No. Cookies.

Postby Quixotess » Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:14 am UTC

Is *that* in your avatar a pom/your pom? That is the cutest dog I have ever seen!

But I will admit to being completely bigoted about small dogs.* I always think they should be larger than cats. I'm a major cat person; if I were to get a dog, it would probably be for protection. Let's have a dog that weighs 100 pounds. Mm yeah.

*Fun fact: originally typed "small dongs."

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby PictureSarah » Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:16 am UTC

I tend to dislike small dogs. But in my defense, I have never referred to them as rats! ...I call them furry bugs.
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

tryptanymph
More metal than thou

Postby tryptanymph » Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:00 am UTC

FUCK AOL.

Seriously, that ISP is so shite. my router has been displaying a downstream of 640kbps for 3 days now. This is what we used to get. I just rebooted my router on the offchance that it might help some connection issues, and now it's showing a downstream of 1536kbps.

O.o

Speedtest.net clocks us at 1264kbps, and we really should be getting closer to 2000kbps.

FUCKING AOL.

SORT THIS SHIT OUT.
phlip wrote:sleepy, the only thing you're worse at is being not awesome.*
*All links to be treated as NFSW.

mochafairy

Postby mochafairy » Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:54 am UTC

Quixotess wrote:Is *that* in your avatar a pom/your pom? That is the cutest dog I have ever seen!

But I will admit to being completely bigoted about small dogs.* I always think they should be larger than cats. I'm a major cat person; if I were to get a dog, it would probably be for protection. Let's have a dog that weighs 100 pounds. Mm yeah.

*Fun fact: originally typed "small dongs."

yes, that's my baby pomeranian. I love her...she's my snuggle fluffy fuzz ball. her name is Momo...she's 3 years old.

my parents yelled at me for helping my little brother. :evil:

ethraax

Postby ethraax » Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:55 am UTC

I know you're leading me on because you think it'll make me feel better. You can fucking stop now.
Meowgan wrote:It's just like knitting, but with less knitting.

Flying Betty

Postby Flying Betty » Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:00 am UTC

Cute bookstore guy has never read Terry Pratchett. And he also wears a wedding ring. Double fail. And there's apparently one other short fat girl in this miserable town and she bought up all of the decent looking black pants. Triple fail.

Not only that, but it looks like my happy pills aren't working quite as well as I thought they were. I was doing all right last month, but returning home after a delightful Christmas with my family, I was surprised at how violently low my mood got just at the thought of being here, and a day later I'm back to the crushing misery again.
Belial wrote:The future is here, and it is cyberpunk as hell.

Return to “General”